RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: side effects of risperdal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Karac developed Tardive Dyskenisia. It is involuntary muscle movements, similar to Parkinsons. It was terrible!! Karac's toes sometimes doubled under and caused him a lot of pain. His fingers constantly moved and he couldn't color, type, or print. Sometimes there were facial movements etc. The doctors said it was irreversible, but I felt that as young as he was, and no longer than he had been on the meds, maybe if he was off all meds he could get over it. Also, I have a strong faith and I prayed and had everybody I know who prays to pray for him. After about a year of hell, it went away.

I protested Karac's being on Risperdal in the first place, but I am the grandmother. My daughter-in-law would not listen to me even though I have a Ph.D. and have had psychopharmacology. Needless to say, I was the one he had to live with while he was going through the pain and the aggressive stage of withdrawal. Pat K

Guest guest

Karac developed Tardive Dyskenisia. It is involuntary muscle movements, similar to Parkinsons. It was terrible!! Karac's toes sometimes doubled under and caused him a lot of pain. His fingers constantly moved and he couldn't color, type, or print. Sometimes there were facial movements etc. The doctors said it was irreversible, but I felt that as young as he was, and no longer than he had been on the meds, maybe if he was off all meds he could get over it. Also, I have a strong faith and I prayed and had everybody I know who prays to pray for him. After about a year of hell, it went away.

I protested Karac's being on Risperdal in the first place, but I am the grandmother. My daughter-in-law would not listen to me even though I have a Ph.D. and have had psychopharmacology. Needless to say, I was the one he had to live with while he was going through the pain and the aggressive stage of withdrawal. Pat K

Guest guest

Guest guest

Pat: It sounds as though Karac may have had a very

unusual reaction. The most common muscular side

effect is stiffness and rigidity (similar to

Parkinson's Disease, but not the same condition). TD

is a very uncommon reaction to Risperdal. Most of the

time TD occurs it is seen first in the mouth and face

and sometimes upper limbs and is completely reversible

80% of cases by discontinuing he medication. In a few

cases it lingers longer but is very rarely totally

irreversible, It rarely occurs throughout the entire

body as you describe. Perhaps something else was

going on as well.

--- pkuenstler@... wrote:

> Karac developed Tardive Dyskenisia. It is

> involuntary muscle movements,

> similar to Parkinsons. It was terrible!! Karac's

> toes sometimes doubled under

> and caused him a lot of pain. His fingers

> constantly moved and he couldn't

> color, type, or print. Sometimes there were facial

> movements etc. The doctors

> said it was irreversible, but I felt that as young

> as he was, and no longer than

> he had been on the meds, maybe if he was off all

> meds he could get over it.

> Also, I have a strong faith and I prayed and had

> everybody I know who prays to

> pray for him. After about a year of hell, it went

> away.

>

> I protested Karac's being on Risperdal in the first

> place, but I am the

> grandmother. My daughter-in-law would not listen to

> me even though I have a Ph.D.

> and have had psychopharmacology. Needless to say,

> I was the one he had to

> live with while he was going through the pain and

> the aggressive stage of

> withdrawal. Pat K

>

Guest guest

Pat: It sounds as though Karac may have had a very

unusual reaction. The most common muscular side

effect is stiffness and rigidity (similar to

Parkinson's Disease, but not the same condition). TD

is a very uncommon reaction to Risperdal. Most of the

time TD occurs it is seen first in the mouth and face

and sometimes upper limbs and is completely reversible

80% of cases by discontinuing he medication. In a few

cases it lingers longer but is very rarely totally

irreversible, It rarely occurs throughout the entire

body as you describe. Perhaps something else was

going on as well.

--- pkuenstler@... wrote:

> Karac developed Tardive Dyskenisia. It is

> involuntary muscle movements,

> similar to Parkinsons. It was terrible!! Karac's

> toes sometimes doubled under

> and caused him a lot of pain. His fingers

> constantly moved and he couldn't

> color, type, or print. Sometimes there were facial

> movements etc. The doctors

> said it was irreversible, but I felt that as young

> as he was, and no longer than

> he had been on the meds, maybe if he was off all

> meds he could get over it.

> Also, I have a strong faith and I prayed and had

> everybody I know who prays to

> pray for him. After about a year of hell, it went

> away.

>

> I protested Karac's being on Risperdal in the first

> place, but I am the

> grandmother. My daughter-in-law would not listen to

> me even though I have a Ph.D.

> and have had psychopharmacology. Needless to say,

> I was the one he had to

> live with while he was going through the pain and

> the aggressive stage of

> withdrawal. Pat K

>

Guest guest

You sound like an awesome grandma! Do you think a foot going into spasm's could be

caused by Zyprexa?

Kathy H.

Karac developed Tardive Dyskenisia. It is involuntary muscle movements, similar to Parkinsons. It was terrible!! Karac's toes sometimes doubled under and caused him a lot of pain. His fingers constantly moved and he couldn't color, type, or print. Sometimes there were facial movements etc. The doctors said it was irreversible, but I felt that as young as he was, and no longer than he had been on the meds, maybe if he was off all meds he could get over it. Also, I have a strong faith and I prayed and had everybody I know who prays to pray for him. After about a year of hell, it went away. I protested Karac's being on Risperdal in the first place, but I am the grandmother. My daughter-in-law would not listen to me even though I have a Ph.D. and have had psychopharmacology. Needless to say, I was the one he had to live with while he was going through the pain and the aggressive stage of withdrawal. Pat K

Guest guest

You sound like an awesome grandma! Do you think a foot going into spasm's could be

caused by Zyprexa?

Kathy H.

Karac developed Tardive Dyskenisia. It is involuntary muscle movements, similar to Parkinsons. It was terrible!! Karac's toes sometimes doubled under and caused him a lot of pain. His fingers constantly moved and he couldn't color, type, or print. Sometimes there were facial movements etc. The doctors said it was irreversible, but I felt that as young as he was, and no longer than he had been on the meds, maybe if he was off all meds he could get over it. Also, I have a strong faith and I prayed and had everybody I know who prays to pray for him. After about a year of hell, it went away. I protested Karac's being on Risperdal in the first place, but I am the grandmother. My daughter-in-law would not listen to me even though I have a Ph.D. and have had psychopharmacology. Needless to say, I was the one he had to live with while he was going through the pain and the aggressive stage of withdrawal. Pat K

Guest guest

Hi Pat, Your last sentence just caught my eye.

I have tried to get my child off of Zyprexa several times

(slowly) but she ALWAYS becomes aggressive.

She wasn't before though. So is this a nasty side

effect of withdrawal? What is the best way to go about

removing this drug? My daughter doesn't sleep very

well without it. What did you do during withdrawal,

replace with another, safer med.?

Thanks,

Kathy H.

Guest guest

Thanks,

Kathy H.

Guest guest

Thanks,

Kathy H.

Guest guest

Yes, it can be a withdrawal affect. I did several things. I would give Karac a quilt to wrap in to try to calm him; I would give him baths with Aveeno. I would give him a half of Clonidine crushed in a sippy cup of water and that usually would calm him in about 20 minutes. I gave him his CD Sheryl Crow music. I protected myself with a heavy coat and gloves, and I prayed!! I also taught him to pray. His mother gave him a Clonidine and .25 Zanax to sleep at night. The aggression finally stopped and it has been probably a year and a half. Now he just takes .1 Clonidine and half of the .25 Zanax to sleep at night and nothing during the day. I know the Zanax can be addictive, but this has not been a problem and since it is working so well I feel comfortable with it. Of course I don't have to tell you that these kids are all so different and what works for one may not work for another. Blessings, Pat K

Guest guest

Yes, it can be a withdrawal affect. I did several things. I would give Karac a quilt to wrap in to try to calm him; I would give him baths with Aveeno. I would give him a half of Clonidine crushed in a sippy cup of water and that usually would calm him in about 20 minutes. I gave him his CD Sheryl Crow music. I protected myself with a heavy coat and gloves, and I prayed!! I also taught him to pray. His mother gave him a Clonidine and .25 Zanax to sleep at night. The aggression finally stopped and it has been probably a year and a half. Now he just takes .1 Clonidine and half of the .25 Zanax to sleep at night and nothing during the day. I know the Zanax can be addictive, but this has not been a problem and since it is working so well I feel comfortable with it. Of course I don't have to tell you that these kids are all so different and what works for one may not work for another. Blessings, Pat K

Guest guest

Guest guest

Kathy, how often does the foot go into spasms? Is it just one foot? My daughter-in-law doesn't think I'm awesome. smile Pat K

Guest guest

Kathy, how often does the foot go into spasms? Is it just one foot? My daughter-in-law doesn't think I'm awesome. smile Pat K

Guest guest

Guest guest

Karac's started in face and mouth. Believe me, I read all about it. Sometimes it looked like Tardis Dystonia and other movement disorders. The other muscle movement problems might have been from some of the medicines the ped. psy. gave him to try to control the TD. I only know that the information that I read said it was irreversible and the doctors I took him to and talked to did not know how to treat it. It obviously was reversible because after he was off the medication for six months it stopped.

It is nice to have you on the list, . Thanks for sharing your information. Pat K

Guest guest

Karac's started in face and mouth. Believe me, I read all about it. Sometimes it looked like Tardis Dystonia and other movement disorders. The other muscle movement problems might have been from some of the medicines the ped. psy. gave him to try to control the TD. I only know that the information that I read said it was irreversible and the doctors I took him to and talked to did not know how to treat it. It obviously was reversible because after he was off the medication for six months it stopped.

It is nice to have you on the list, . Thanks for sharing your information. Pat K

Guest guest

Guest guest

My son got this wierd " tic " from the risperdal, he would grimace and

lick his lips constantly.

Jen in MD

pkuenstler@... wrote:

> Karac's started in face and mouth. Believe me, I read all about it.

> Sometimes it looked like Tardis Dystonia and other movement disorders.

> The other muscle movement problems might have been from some of the

> medicines the ped. psy. gave him to try to control the TD. I only

> know that the information that I read said it was irreversible and the

> doctors I took him to and talked to did not know how to treat it. It

> obviously was reversible because after he was off the medication for

> six months it stopped.

>

> It is nice to have you on the list, . Thanks for sharing your

> information. Pat K

>

>

Guest guest

My son got this wierd " tic " from the risperdal, he would grimace and

lick his lips constantly.

Jen in MD

pkuenstler@... wrote:

> Karac's started in face and mouth. Believe me, I read all about it.

> Sometimes it looked like Tardis Dystonia and other movement disorders.

> The other muscle movement problems might have been from some of the

> medicines the ped. psy. gave him to try to control the TD. I only

> know that the information that I read said it was irreversible and the

> doctors I took him to and talked to did not know how to treat it. It

> obviously was reversible because after he was off the medication for

> six months it stopped.

>

> It is nice to have you on the list, . Thanks for sharing your

> information. Pat K

>

>

Guest guest

Everyday, after she gets up and walks on it. It's kind of a long story.

Tell her I have never had any help and she's very blessed !!!

Kathy

Guest guest

Everyday, after she gets up and walks on it. It's kind of a long story.

Tell her I have never had any help and she's very blessed !!!

Kathy

Guest guest

She's been on it about 3 years and takes half of a 5 mg dissolvable tablet, sometimes more.

So about 2.5-3 mg.

P.S. Kathy, how long has your daughter been on Zyprexia and what dosage? Pat K