RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: cost of raw milk

Rate this topic

Guest guest

First of all, I was assuming that CWT meant 'hundred weight'? As in by the pound, so $25/CWT would have been roughly $2/gal since a gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs.But then the numbers go berserk and we're then talking about $15/gal. No such high markup (from $2 to $15) exists anywhere, not even in the high fashion rag industry. Something isn't making sense. Are you saying that the bigAg dairy price setters are giving you $2/gal and then the entire rest is their greed money?As for the cost of living being bandied about, I'd suggest that the world economy is going to level a lot of the playing field and we'll see a lot of changes in the way we live as the markets adjust, and the American stranglehold on banking and currencies decreases til things have shifted to where the power in the market will be the Asian centers in China and India, with some South American business markets in the power mix. The American worker has unfortunately been seduced into thinking they should emulate the greed and bad habits of the CEOs and similar crooks, including politicians. So now the lowend wage is out of balance and that balance is swinging as the excesses of govt come home to roost. So it would be advantageous for farmers to have figured out the Salatin philosophy and be able to hold their own with the declining demand-side of the American population's income already dwindling. When I figured out our situation last year for tax analyses, I was drawing on my residual pension and my social security, using that to fund a business startup for our family of three adults to the total of about $20k per year for the three of us and making 'ends meet' and so I feel that punishing people for their lack of income is basically just as bad as punishing them for being openly poorer than your artificial benchmark in the govt/political defined standards. As for milk, we simply do not drink much simple milk, have a bit of yogurt, and don't use much butter either. My interest in raw milk is in the aspect of its benefits as medicine, not as ordinary food. Maybe you would prefer to consider your prices in the medical market, IF WE COULD JUST GET A FULL BLOWN NUTRITIONAL MEDICINE SYSTEM UP AND RUNNING, INCLUDING A DECENT METHOD OF HANDLING SERIOUS EMERGENCIES.I consider making yogurt from ordinary decently produced quality dairy milk to be quite adequately healthy and I have not seen any research to show that even pasteurized milk (preferably some decent processes are coming that are better than the current) can be adequately decent for medical uses. I'd also wonder if there was a decent process for doing DRY milk, since I've seen decent drying processes evolve for fresh wheat grass as a health food store product available online. And I like the sensible idea of drying as a way of preserving goodness. Wouldn't you say that they could do something like that with raw milk?Just my view point in this tangled economics discussion using the abbreviations that I hadn't seen anywhere before.MJ Re: Re:Self-intro of Leah /cost of raw milk

Jo

You are so RIGHT! For far too long, we as farmers have been price takers; not price makers! By rights "commodity" milk producers should get $20-$25 CWT for their milk to make ends meet. But we don't. with the premiums (milk fats, other solids, protein etc) wee get in the area of $16-17 cwt. Farmers are also one of the few businesses that have to pay RETAIL for equipment BUT get paid WHOLESALE for their goods!

Just because we can set our prices high doesn't mean we should. HOWEVER, those smaller farmers, who milk small numbers, by hand or with the old bucket milkers do need to cover their costs. We are fortunate on our farm. We have the acreage to produce our own corn, oats and hay (as well as pasture). We do not have to buy it.

Those who live in an area where milk is $15 a gallon should price it at that to stay competitive! Consumers may "perceive" lower cost milk to be inferior to the $15 milk even tho it may not be. or producers, their customers "perception can be the make it or break it point for them. Maybe if you don't want to pay the $15 a gallon you could give up some of your time to help your farmer out. Cleaning out the barn or helping milk or putting up hay. Whatever the case may be. Maybe they will drop the price of the milk for sweat equity.

The farmer takes the biggest risk when they sell fresh milk.

ro

Re: Re:Self-intro of Leah /cost of raw milk

I know right? In my “other” job I charge 65-85/hour for my experience and expertise in my field. Yet when I tried to add just a 1/8 of that to my soap costs (a bit more then minimum wage) it put the soap thru the roof. I was adding my “time” into the mix. I guess the going rate of homemade means one shouldn’t add their time into the costs. And historically farmers never did that. And its a shame. Its the most honest work one will ever do.I find this whole topic a bit disturbing. All I can say to joannes comments is don’t buy raw milk. Go to the store and support them, big box stores who undercut the mom and pop shops as they come to town. I am small potatoes to the real farmers on this list who have no other income to “subsidy” them. For me this started out as a hobby. Now its a matter of being able to feed the goats, so I can keep them. Having them “work” and pay their way is the only way. If this is exploitative? Then so be it. Which is interesting since i’m still not breaking even. Also, I would venture a guess that if you saw my farm/animals/care vs. others that sell only to profit, you’d likely not be so demeaning in your “boycott” especially when your health is at risk.... I’ve been to a few farms lately that I didn’t even want to walk on the property, let alone buy milk from. And that is the price you are paying for.No amount of discussion will likely change your view that raw milk should be cheap. The reality is farming is expensive. And Milk is not cheap. We’ve given valid reasons as to what goes into it. How things really cost. How a raw farmer is struggling to keep it feasible. $12-15gallons is the wholesale cost of a farmer trying to make it work. And All without gov involvement. If a person can sell it for $9/gallon I suspect their cost of living is a bit cheaper.. There comes a time where costs vs. quality will be at issue. Where each farmer is at a crossroad to what he can handle without giving up either. Raw will never be as huge as pastuerized. How many animals can you milk before you lose the ability to handle the quality control that raw milk entails? That one more animal in the production line up that will lower quality. Would you rather we do that to create cheaper milk? If so then its back to factory farming. Pastuerizing the milk. Etc.There will always be subsidied dead milk to buy, I suggest you stick with that joanne.j

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.441 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2998 - Release Date: 07/12/10 06:36:00

Guest guest

I'd just like to say that after reading the thread about this subject, I'm now

very concerned that my farmer isn't charging enough for his wonderful product!

I think I might start paying him more per gallon on my own. I knew that farmers

work hard and I know " my farmer " works very hard, as well as his wife and his

mother, who helps him in his little store front but my eyes have been opened in

many ways since joining this group. I am always wondering how in the world they

ever get a vacation or any time off.

I'm so glad I joined this group and learned more about this. Today I'm taking

my son on a homeschool trip to a farm and they are going to let the kids try

milking if they want to. I really hope they will let me try too!

Take care and THANK YOU to all you farmers out there!!!

~Karin

p.s. Personally, if the Milk got so expensive that I couldn't afford it under

my current budget, I would cut something else out and keep buying the milk. (I

might drink a little less though)

Guest guest

I'd just like to say that after reading the thread about this subject, I'm now

I'm so glad I joined this group and learned more about this. Today I'm taking

Take care and THANK YOU to all you farmers out there!!!

~Karin

p.s. Personally, if the Milk got so expensive that I couldn't afford it under

Guest guest

Karin

I'm sure your farmer will appreciate it!

ro

I'd just like to say that after reading the thread about this subject, I'm now very concerned that my farmer isn't charging enough for his wonderful product! I think I might start paying him more per gallon on my own. I knew that farmers work hard and I know "my farmer" works very hard, as well as his wife and his mother, who helps him in his little store front but my eyes have been opened in many ways since joining this group. I am always wondering how in the world they ever get a vacation or any time off. I'm so glad I joined this group and learned more about this. Today I'm taking my son on a homeschool trip to a farm and they are going to let the kids try milking if they want to. I really hope they will let me try too!Take care and THANK YOU to all you farmers out there!!!~Karinp.s. Personally, if the Milk got so expensive that I couldn't afford it under my current budget, I would cut something else out and keep buying the milk. (I might drink a little less though)

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.441 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3003 - Release Date: 07/13/10 18:36:00

Guest guest

Most of the " poor " mothers who can't afford raw milk get WIC or food stamps, etc they can use in the grocery stores. No, it isn't raw milk, but it gets them what they need. I, personally, would never sell raw milk for a baby just on the principle of not wanting a law suit if the baby gets sick from anything & it being blamed on raw milk. I may not like the way big business operations, but I'm not about to lose my farm & animals because people can use the current system to sue me. Bonnie RobbinsTub Creek FarmsGreensburg, IN Thank you so much, for presenting your mindset to the group. I have enormous respect for you and what you're trying to do. It's difficult charging less for a product than your competition. The customers love it, but the competitors hate it. I was telling my friend Barbara yesterday about this debate and she said, " What about all the poor mothers and their babies who can never afford raw milk? These farmers are the same people who complain, complain, complain about big business but then turn around and operate the same way. " ------------ --------- --------- ---- And thank you, B. Dunlap and silkiechicken for providing pricing information and profitable business models. I agree, Dunlap, that you determine how much profit you need, then you find out if a particular business model will support that need. If it doesn't, then you have to modify the model or find another. ------------ --------- --------- ---- Thank you, , for presenting an opposing view. Yes, everyone has a right to charge what they want, and every consumer has a right to accept or reject that price. I personally reject $16 per gallon. I find it repugnant. I currently pay $6.50 per gallon grass-fed Jersey milk from a retailer, and I understand there's a farm even closer to me who sells for $2 a gallon, which I think is too low. The opposite of the " all the market will bear " mindset is found in spiritual endeavors. Spiritual advisors, healers, etc., feel that money taints their efforts, and so they starve to death while sacrificing their lives to help other people. Everyone loves getting something for free, but it's equally abhorrent to take from others without doing what you can to support them and ensure their livelihood. " The workman is worthy of his hire. " I also think those in this fight to legalize raw milk should be supporting those who are fighting against the government, whether it's giving donations, taking time to write letters or call government officials, or showing up at rallies. And for the record, I never said " production costs + MINIMAL profit margin. " I wrote: " I've always thought that price was dictated by cost of production + profit margin. You figure out how much it costs to produce it and then add a profit margin you feel comfortable with that allows you a good living and provides an affordable product to those who need it. " I guess I'm just an idealist. I'd like to see a world motivated not by greed and profit, but by mutual support. Joanne www.joanneunleashed .comOn Jul 14, 2010, at 3:46 AM, rawDairy@yahoogroup s.comwrote: As a producer I try to bring a good product at a reasonable price. I am constantly being told that I can get more for my milk. I don't see that as fair to the consumer. I want to promote and educate my consumer and to help other producers get started to bring more product to the market. We as producers have a responsibility to bring good reasonable product to the market so that as many as possible can have it.

Guest guest

I am newer to farming I admit(I am a homesteader curing my sons

autism with raw milk) but my training is in business and that talks about an

equilibrium price…  they make all sorts of charts on how much you can sell a

product.. and at what profit .. and how many units.. and as the price rises

there are usually less items sold.. but at a higher profit and .. if you chart

out and research your markets they are able to figure out .. at what price to

market at where you retain enough profit.. yet sell enough units to equal the

best profit… the equilibrium price…

But I think the concept is what we all are talking about.

Also marketing and target markets really play into it. If you

are targeting autistics and crohns and such peoples who are gluten free and you

feed all non GMO feed and are moistly grassfed.. and you have no wheat in any

of your feed stuff … then that market … is used to paying for their special

requirements.. that market if singled out … will pay 20 a gallon… and if you

jump thru a ton of hoops to get them that particular product … that they value

... you are meeting their need and that’s all good in my book.

RawDairy [mailto:RawDairy ] On Behalf Of

Robbins

Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:33 AM

To: RawDairy

Subject: RE: cost of raw milk

Most of the " poor " mothers who can't afford raw milk get

WIC or food stamps, etc they can use in the grocery stores. No, it isn't raw

milk, but it gets them what they need. I, personally, would never sell

raw milk for a baby just on the principle of not wanting a law suit if the baby

gets sick from anything & it being blamed on raw milk. I may not like the

way big business operations, but I'm not about to lose my farm & animals

because people can use the current system to sue me.

Bonnie Robbins

Tub Creek Farms

Greensburg, IN

Thank you so much, for presenting your mindset to

the group. I have enormous respect for you and what you're trying to do. It's

difficult charging less for a product than your competition. The customers love

it, but the competitors hate it.

I

was telling my friend Barbara yesterday about this debate and she said,

" What about all the poor mothers and their babies who can never afford raw

milk? These farmers are the same people who complain, complain, complain about

big business but then turn around and operate the same way. "

------------

--------- --------- ----

And

thank you, B. Dunlap and silkiechicken for providing pricing information and

profitable business models. I agree, Dunlap, that you determine how much profit

you need, then you find out if a particular business model will support that

need. If it doesn't, then you have to modify the model or find another.

------------

--------- --------- ----

Thank

you, , for presenting an opposing view. Yes, everyone has a right to

charge what they want, and every consumer has a right to accept or reject that

price. I personally reject $16 per gallon. I find it repugnant. I currently pay

$6.50 per gallon grass-fed Jersey milk from a retailer, and I understand

there's a farm even closer to me who sells for $2 a gallon, which I think is

too low.

The

opposite of the " all the market will bear & quot; mindset is found in

spiritual endeavors. Spiritual advisors, healers, etc., feel that money taints

their efforts, and so they starve to death while sacrificing their lives to

help other people. Everyone loves getting something for free, but it's equally

abhorrent to take from others without doing what you can to support them and

ensure their livelihood. " The workman is worthy of his hire. "

I

also think those in this fight to legalize raw milk should be supporting those

who are fighting against the government, whether it's giving donations, taking

time to write letters or call government officials, or showing up at rallies.

And

for the record, I never said " production costs + MINIMAL profit

margin. " I wrote:

" I've

always thought that price was dictated by cost of production + profit margin.

You figure out how much it costs to produce it and then add a profit margin you

feel comfortable with that allows you a good living and provides an affordable

product to those who need it. "

I

guess I'm just an idealist. I'd like to see a world motivated not by greed and

profit, but by mutual support.

Joanne

www.joanneunleashed .com

On

Jul 14, 2010, at 3:46 AM, rawDairy@yahoogroup

s.comwrote:

As

a producer I try to bring a good product at a reasonable price. I am constantly

being told that I can get more for my milk. I don't see that as fair to the

consumer. I want to promote and educate my consumer and to help other producers

get started to bring more product to the market. We a s producers have a

responsibility to bring good reasonable product to the market so that as many

as possible can have it.

Guest guest

I'm a raw milk producer, starting within the last year, after purchasing it for

the past 5 yrs, so I've been on both sides.

This is very hard work & very low pay, and not sustainable way of life for most

people in Oregon, given our raw milk restrictions: Oregon law states you can

have 3 cows or less, no advertising, on farm sales only. There's no economy of

scale with 2 or even 3 cows.

In the 5 yrs. I bought milk, I personally saw 3 small dairy (3 cows or less)go

out of business. It just takes one tragedy, because it can't generate enough

income to have a savings set aside to cover the tragedies. I know several

others of the small producers in the area around me. It's a hobby for all of us

- we are greatly subsidized by our husband's jobs or some other income source.

Much food is subsidized in this country. Until people are willing to pay the

price for nutritionally dense food, it won't be available to all. If we start

paying what nutritionally dense food is worth, then we will have more families

able to start up small, raw milk dairies so it's more readily available. There

is not one answer to solve this argument.

I have 50 regular customers. Maybe 2 of these customers can be considered

affluent. The rest are made up of all ages, with a large percentage being young

families where the mom is home with the children, they live off 1 income, many

teachers (not high paying, especially for 1 income). they budget carefully for

the gallon of milk from us, & couple pounds grass fed meat & organic veggies

they buy each week. They (and my husband & I) drive very old cars & are very

frugal so we can all eat as healthfully as possible. Any income can do this. On

westonaprice.org you can find info about how to feed a family a nutritionally

dense diet on a lower income.

Americans are used to a lot of food, convenient, and cheap. You don't need to

eat as much food if it's nutritionally dense. There will be an investment of

time, too - my customers drive to me each week, as I drove weekly 1 hr. rountrip

for 5 yrs. There is more preparation time to eat healthfully. It's not

convenient nor cheap; it is a lifestyle.

When I can no longer milk my cows I will pay one of my dairying friends $25

gallon easily because I have such an appreciation for what we do. I am not

affluent. But that will be my part to hopefully keep them going through the ups

and downs of milking. There are many things my family gives up in order to buy

good food.

>

> I'd just like to say that after reading the thread about this subject, I'm now

>

> I'm so glad I joined this group and learned more about this. Today I'm taking

>

> Take care and THANK YOU to all you farmers out there!!!

>

> ~Karin

>

> p.s. Personally, if the Milk got so expensive that I couldn't afford it under

>

Guest guest

time, too - my customers drive to me each week, as I drove weekly 1 hr. rountrip

good food.

>

> I'd just like to say that after reading the thread about this subject, I'm now

>

>

>

> ~Karin

>

>

Guest guest

good food.

>

>

>

>

> ~Karin

>

>

Guest guest

I can't imagine that the output of 3 cows could pay anybody's mortgage.It's really cheap to incorporate in Oregon ($50). Is there any way to protect a cow under a corporate structure? FedEx places every truck it owns into its own corporation, which limits the companies liability in case of accident. Or would the land/house be considered part of the corporation and subject to seizure? I think if you did not expense the property, then it would fall under private ownership, but I don't know.Joannewww.joanneunleashed.comOn Jul 15, 2010, at 9:57 AM, rawDairy wrote:In the 5 yrs. I bought milk, I personally saw 3 small dairy (3 cows or less)go out of business. It just takes one tragedy, because it can't generate enough income to have a savings set aside to cover the tragedies. I know several others of the small producers in the area around me. It's a hobby for all of us - we are greatly subsidized by our husband's jobs or some other income source.

Guest guest

I can't imagine that the output of 3 cows could pay anybody's mortgage.It's really cheap to incorporate in Oregon ($50). Is there any way to protect a cow under a corporate structure? FedEx places every truck it owns into its own corporation, which limits the companies liability in case of accident. Or would the land/house be considered part of the corporation and subject to seizure? I think if you did not expense the property, then it would fall under private ownership, but I don't know.Joannewww.joanneunleashed.comOn Jul 15, 2010, at 9:57 AM, rawDairy wrote:In the 5 yrs. I bought milk, I personally saw 3 small dairy (3 cows or less)go out of business. It just takes one tragedy, because it can't generate enough income to have a savings set aside to cover the tragedies. I know several others of the small producers in the area around me. It's a hobby for all of us - we are greatly subsidized by our husband's jobs or some other income source.

Guest guest

are you selling raw milk to adults? how would you know if a mom gives some of it

to her baby? lots of moms use raw milk to make the WAPF baby formula and their

babies are thriving on the raw milk formula.

>

>

> Most of the " poor " mothers who can't afford raw milk get WIC or food

> stamps, etc they can use in the grocery stores. No, it isn't raw milk,

> but it gets them what they need. I, personally, would never sell raw

> milk for a baby just on the principle of not wanting a law suit if the

> baby gets sick from anything & it being blamed on raw milk. I may not

> like the way big business operations, but I'm not about to lose my farm

> & animals because people can use the current system to sue me.

>

> Bonnie Robbins

> Tub Creek Farms

> Greensburg, IN

Guest guest

are you selling raw milk to adults? how would you know if a mom gives some of it

>

>

>

> Bonnie Robbins

> Tub Creek Farms

> Greensburg, IN

Guest guest

>

>

>

> Bonnie Robbins

> Tub Creek Farms

> Greensburg, IN

Guest guest

We are an LLC. As far as I understand, that will protect us against someone

trying to take our home/personal assets. I suppose they can sue the LLC & end up

with 2 cows & a milk machine!! lol

The tragedies I've experienced that made people just give up were 2 different

group's cows dying for random reasons - one ventured too far into the creek &

drowned. The other gentleman just up & quit during about the 3rd winter storm a

few years ago. He was dealing with ice, iced up equipment, customers not being

able to come pick up so just cancelling; after being bombarded with weather

related problems he hauled his cows to slaughter! Dramatic! We got no notice -

just no milk!

Also, another point I don't think anyone's mentioned in all this is that many

people (our family included) drink raw milk for health reasons. We save about

$100 per month in the meds we used to need before we started drinking it. I have

customers doing the same thing. This doesn't even address the added value to

life from not being ill anymore. This makes it invaluable to me and my family.

Due to the extremely severe exzema my kids used to suffer from, they plan their

lives around raw milk & will budget for it in their futures - no matter what it

costs. You can't put a price tag on good health once you've experienced bad

health.

>

> > In the 5 yrs. I bought milk, I personally saw 3 small dairy (3 cows or

less)go out of business. It just takes one tragedy, because it can't generate

enough income to have a savings set aside to cover the tragedies. I know several

>

Guest guest

My understanding - from my accountant - is that if they can prove negligence

your LLC will mean didily squat. You might ask over at the Farmer to consumer

legal thingy - its late and I am so tired LOL

aliza

> >

> > > In the 5 yrs. I bought milk, I personally saw 3 small dairy (3 cows or

less)go out of business. It just takes one tragedy, because it can't generate

enough income to have a savings set aside to cover the tragedies. I know several

> >

>

Guest guest

I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from

a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw

milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a

processor?

---------

First of all, I was assuming that CWT meant 'hundred weight'? As

in by the pound, so $25/CWT would have been roughly $2/gal since

a gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs.

But then the numbers go berserk and we're then talking about

$15/gal. No such high markup (from $2 to $15) exists anywhere,

not even in the high fashion rag industry. Something isn't

making sense. Are you saying that the bigAg dairy price setters

are giving you $2/gal and then the entire rest is their greed

money?

Guest guest

I'm in NV. We pay around $7-8 a gallon.

Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:57 AM

To: RawDairy

Subject: Re: cost of raw milk

I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a processor? ---------First of all, I was assuming that CWT meant 'hundred weight'? Asin by the pound, so $25/CWT would have been roughly $2/gal sincea gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs.But then the numbers go berserk and we're then talking about$15/gal. No such high markup (from $2 to $15) exists anywhere,not even in the high fashion rag industry. Something isn'tmaking sense. Are you saying that the bigAg dairy price settersare giving you $2/gal and then the entire rest is their greedmoney?

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3017 - Release Date: 07/19/10 23:36:00

Guest guest

10.00 for Raw Milk in Tampa Florida.Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerrySender: RawDairy Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:42:02 -0700To: <RawDairy >ReplyTo: RawDairy Subject: Re: Re: cost of raw milk I'm in NV. We pay around $7-8 a gallon. From: carolyn_graff Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:57 AMTo: RawDairy Subject: Re: cost of raw milk I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a processor? ---------First of all, I was assuming that CWT meant 'hundred weight'? Asin by the pound, so $25/CWT would have been roughly $2/gal sincea gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs.But then the numbers go berserk and we're then talking about$15/gal. No such high markup (from $2 to $15) exists anywhere,not even in the high fashion rag industry. Something isn'tmaking sense. Are you saying that the bigAg dairy price settersare giving you $2/gal and then the entire rest is their greedmoney?No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3017 - Release Date: 07/19/10 23:36:00

Guest guest

There is no need to sell to a processor. The milk goes direct from farm to consumer. Most small farms don’t make enough milk to bulk tank and sell that way.

j

--

www.goodnessgraciousacres.com

Become a fan on FB

Delilah’s Dairy Goat Milk Soap

http://tinyurl.com/yzbq5j8

Reply-To: " RawDairy " <RawDairy >

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:57:02 -0000

To: " RawDairy " <RawDairy >

Subject: Re: cost of raw milk

I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a processor?

Guest guest

Here in NE Oklahoma Raw goat milk is between $5-$8 a gallon, I'm not sure about raw cow milk though. In Oklahoma you can legally sell 100 gallons of Raw Goat milk per month without a license.Suriyah ________Good Goats ~ Mini Nubian Dairy & Meat Goats in NE Oklahoma,http://www.goodgoats.netBlog - http://goodgoats.blogspot.com 10.00 for Raw Milk in Tampa Florida.Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: " Low" <stephanielowembarqmail> Sender: RawDairy Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:42:02 -0700To: <RawDairy >ReplyTo: RawDairy Subject: Re: Re: cost of raw milk I'm in NV. We pay around $7-8 a gallon. From: carolyn_graff Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:57 AM To: RawDairy Subject: Re: cost of raw milk I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a processor? ---------First of all, I was assuming that CWT meant 'hundred weight'? Asin by the pound, so $25/CWT would have been roughly $2/gal sincea gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs.But then the numbers go berserk and we're then talking about$15/gal. No such high markup (from $2 to $15) exists anywhere,not even in the high fashion rag industry. Something isn'tmaking sense. Are you saying that the bigAg dairy price settersare giving you $2/gal and then the entire rest is their greedmoney? No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3017 - Release Date: 07/19/10 23:36:00

Guest guest

Here in NE Oklahoma Raw goat milk is between $5-$8 a gallon, I'm not sure about raw cow milk though. In Oklahoma you can legally sell 100 gallons of Raw Goat milk per month without a license.Suriyah ________Good Goats ~ Mini Nubian Dairy & Meat Goats in NE Oklahoma,http://www.goodgoats.netBlog - http://goodgoats.blogspot.com 10.00 for Raw Milk in Tampa Florida.Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: " Low" <stephanielowembarqmail> Sender: RawDairy Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:42:02 -0700To: <RawDairy >ReplyTo: RawDairy Subject: Re: Re: cost of raw milk I'm in NV. We pay around $7-8 a gallon. From: carolyn_graff Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:57 AM To: RawDairy Subject: Re: cost of raw milk I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a processor? ---------First of all, I was assuming that CWT meant 'hundred weight'? Asin by the pound, so $25/CWT would have been roughly $2/gal sincea gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs.But then the numbers go berserk and we're then talking about$15/gal. No such high markup (from $2 to $15) exists anywhere,not even in the high fashion rag industry. Something isn'tmaking sense. Are you saying that the bigAg dairy price settersare giving you $2/gal and then the entire rest is their greedmoney? No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3017 - Release Date: 07/19/10 23:36:00

Guest guest

Our field rep told us to watch the CME block cheese price to get our milk price. (our processor makes cheese) Today it closed up and finished the day at 16¢/pound or $16/CWT (hundred weight) If I calculated right that would be right around $1.28 a gallon from the processor. I think that may pretty much the norm across the country?? I'm guesstimating as we are still new to this aspect of dairying. Our field rep stopped last week and said we must be doing something right because our dairy/herd/milk was in the processors top 10% of their producers. They use our numbers, SCC, protein, milk fat, other solids, bacteria count etc to determine this.

I don't know about other states but here in WI, the farmers get $1-2/gallon from a processor and they sell raw milk for $4-7/gallon. in those states where raw milk costs $15/gallon, how much would the farmer get if he sold it to a processor?

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (80)

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.441 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3017 - Release Date: 07/20/10 06:36:00

Guest guest

Our field rep told us to watch the CME block cheese price to get our milk price. (our processor makes cheese) Today it closed up and finished the day at 16¢/pound or $16/CWT (hundred weight) If I calculated right that would be right around $1.28 a gallon from the processor. I think that may pretty much the norm across the country?? I'm guesstimating as we are still new to this aspect of dairying. Our field rep stopped last week and said we must be doing something right because our dairy/herd/milk was in the processors top 10% of their producers. They use our numbers, SCC, protein, milk fat, other solids, bacteria count etc to determine this.

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (80)

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.441 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3017 - Release Date: 07/20/10 06:36:00

Guest guest

but in a lot of states you can't sell fresh milk.....legally that is....

Re: Re: cost of raw milk

There is no need to sell to a processor. The milk goes direct from farm to consumer. Most small farms don’t make enough milk to bulk tank and sell that way.j-- www.goodnessgraciousacres.comBecome a fan on FBDelilah’s Dairy Goat Milk Soaphttp://tinyurl.com/yzbq5j