What said, Evie.

Shari is totally raw…and lots of other people each some percentage

of raw.

Ask away!

Sharyn

I'm no

longer totally raw or totally veggie at this stage on my path, but have

been in the past and likely will be again in the future. If I can answer any

questions, I sure will be happy to do so.

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 8.0.101 / Virus Database: 270.4.1/1521 - Release Date: 6/26/2008 11:20 AM

Guest guest

Me too - some raw, not all.

Gayla Always Enough RanchAcampo, Californiaaeranch@...

RE: Raw Diet?

What said, Evie.

Shari is totally raw…and lots of other people each some percentage of raw.

Ask away!

Sharyn

I'm no longer totally raw or totally veggie at this stage on my path, but have been in the past and likely will be again in the future. If I can answer any questions, I sure will be happy to do so.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG.Version: 8.0.101 / Virus Database: 270.4.1/1521 - Release Date: 6/26/2008 11:20 AM

Guest guest

10-Q!

Okay, so if you are only eating raw, from whence comes the protein? Can't do dried beans and peas, they need cooking.

Do you eat raw meat? My DH worked with a guy who ate raw, and he told my hubby that he would eat raw meat if it was wild game. The Paleo diet books I read specifically said they were NOT recommending eating raw meat, since very few of us butcher our own, and therefore don't know how well - or badly! - it's been handled.

So I have curiousity about this!

Ev

What said, Evie.

Shari is totally raw…and lots of other people each some percentage of raw.

Ask away!

Sharyn

Guest guest

Every food has some protein in it.

The problem with cooking it is that it makes the protein not as assimilate-able

(I just made up that word<G>) as in its raw state. (Where do cows

get their protein? Grass!) I ate totally raw for a year and was in

the best health I’ve ever been. The only raw meat I ate was raw

shellfish (clams), ceviche, and very rare beef (which is how I like my beef

anyway).

I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables,

smoothies, and dehydrated foods (breads, crackers, etc.).

Check out this site…lots of good

info.

http://www.thegardendiet.com/

I’m sure Shari

will chime in soon!

Sharyn

Okay, so if you are only eating raw, from whence comes the

protein? Can't do dried beans and peas, they need cooking.

Do you eat raw meat? My DH worked with a guy who ate

raw, and he told my hubby that he would eat raw meat if it was wild game.

The Paleo diet books I read specifically said they were NOT recommending eating

raw meat, since very few of us butcher our own, and therefore don't know how

well - or badly! - it's been handled.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 8.0.101 / Virus Database: 270.4.1/1521 - Release Date: 6/26/2008 11:20 AM

Guest guest

Common protein rich foods can include:

Soy Milk (try goat milk)

Eggs

Cheese Yogurt Peanut Butter Lean Meats, Fish, and Poultry Beans, Tofu, Lentils, and other Legumes Grains, including bread and pasta Nuts and Seeds

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Guest guest

Ohmygawd, THE question. It's a moot point. EVERYTHING you eat has protein and I do mean everything. You see it takes protein to make a nucleus, hence everything has protein.

The average American OVEReats protein by 150% A DAY!

Relax, I'd be more concerned about where you're getting your calcium.

Dark leafy greens deliver the best protein and calcium as does almonds and sesame seeds.

Shari

Guest guest

Thanks Sharyn. I posted before I read yours.

I love ceviche! Have not found a good source since my favorite restaurant quit making it and I don't want to make it at home. I know there are a couple of 5 star restaurants in downtown Seattle that are know for their ceviche and I'm going to find them this summer! Living here is a great place for raw fish seeing as we're flying distance from Alaska and fresh fish. The Pacific ocean is only a couple hours from me, however I have to be careful to only get salmon from Natives as the whiteman is not allowed to take wild salmon. Luckily I'm "in" with the Tulalips.

Later - S

Guest guest

Beans can still be eaten raw, if they are soaked FOREVER first. Even greens and such contain protein. Here's a few from my Food File Database:

> Seaweed, spirulina, dried 3oz 57.47 g

> Parsley 3oz 31.30 g

> Soybeans, raw 3 oz 12.95 g

> Peppers, Hot Sun Dried 3 oz 10.58 g

The list goes on and on.

Regarding meat, I do eat beef raw when I can. But I am VERY particular on where I buy it and who does the prep.

This is from FoodFile 1.0, free at www.willmcgugan.com

Peace, love, laughter

Don't you hate when your hand falls asleep and you know it will be up all night.

10-Q!

Okay, so if you are only eating raw, from whence comes the protein? Can't do dried beans and peas, they need cooking.

Do you eat raw meat? My DH worked with a guy who ate raw, and he told my hubby that he would eat raw meat if it was wild game. The Paleo diet books I read specifically said they were NOT recommending eating raw meat, since very few of us butcher our own, and therefore don't know how well - or badly! - it's been handled.

Ev

Guest guest

I don’t see why you can’t make

your own ceviche, Shari…it’s

basically just “cooking” in acid (citric or some sort of vinegar)

rather than heat. I admit I’ve never made my own, but I think it should

be easy enough. (Maybe it’s just the “ick” factor we need to

get past at home.<G>)

I think Evie is looking for something to

help her dh, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson’s…and is

way too young for that! If she can get him to eat a raw diet, I think it would

help immensely.

Any help you can give her would be great!

Sharyn

I love ceviche! Have not found a good source since my favorite

restaurant quit making it and I don't want to make it at home.

Checked by AVG.

Guest guest

Okay!But some of those require cooking, so it made me curious.

Sharyn - the link you posted was an interesting one, but one of the first recipes was for something with chick peas! Those needs must be cooked before consuming them (unless you have a gizzard and use them for rocks)!

I don't mind, understand, I happen to love chick peas. But it's the RAW part I'm curious about.

Ev

Soy Milk (try goat milk) Eggs

Cheese Yogurt Peanut Butter Lean Meats, Fish, and Poultry Beans, Tofu, Lentils, and other Legumes Grains, including bread and pasta Nuts and Seeds

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Guest guest

You can make your own ceviche at home and it is easy. Just remember

to use a non-metal or non-reactive pan, due to the citrus juice.

The juice of two lemons and two limes will cook approx. 4-5 pounds of

fish (depending on what kind) in about 2 hours. Refrigerate the

fish while cooking in the juice, and of course you add herbs, spices and

other vegetables to the fish after it's " cooked " .

I'm sure you can google " ceviche recipes " and find a ton

:-)

Guest guest

Thanks, Shari!Too true - I am pre-programmed, I fear...

I'm not actually going raw - not yet, anyway. But someone I know is - she went raw when she was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago. You'd NEVER know it if she didn't tell you...

Thanks for this - I have more questions!

Like, what about grains? Those need cooking, too.

Also, the Paleo books I read said green beans need cooking to assimilate the nutrients in them - so raw diets don't include them?

Ev (this is neat - I might be L E A R N I N G something)!!

Ohmygawd, THE question. It's a moot point. EVERYTHING you eat has protein and I do mean everything. You see it takes protein to make a nucleus, hence everything has protein.

The average American OVEReats protein by 150% A DAY!

Relax, I'd be more concerned about where you're getting your calcium.

Dark leafy greens deliver the best protein and calcium as does almonds and sesame seeds.

Shari_._,___

Guest guest

Okay - thanks!(What constitutes "forever"??)!

Ev (who has 'splained to her husband that the reason the lights are red and low in really good steakhouses is so you can't get a good look at what you're eating and loving!)

Beans can still be eaten raw, if they are soaked FOREVER first. Even greens and such contain protein. Here's a few from my Food File Database:

Regarding meat, I do eat beef raw when I can. But I am VERY particular on where I buy it and who does the prep.

This is from FoodFile 1.0, free at www.willmcgugan.com

Peace, love, laughter

Don't you hate when your hand falls asleep and you know it will be up all night.

10-Q!

Ev

Guest guest

Actually, I don't know that he's ready for THAT at all, at all! And with the gastroparesis, I have to move forward carefully. He's having enough problems without me throwing a whole new universe at him!! Although, Bless him, he is opening up to new ideas - the "same-old, same-old" is hurting him. :*(

It's the friend of mine, who just told me about her MS when she found out about the DH's recent diagnosis. I've known her for YEARS and had NO idea she had MS. And she eats raw - NOTHING cooked.

So I had all these ????? bonking around in my head.

Plus the fact that I think I could tweak my own diet to good use...

Ev, who is reading Louise Hay and wonders if we can't stay in a comfortable middle ground and do just as well ... ?

I don’t see why you can’t make your own ceviche, Shari…it’s basically just “cooking” in acid (citric or some sort of vinegar) rather than heat. I admit I’ve never made my own, but I think it should be easy enough. (Maybe it’s just the “ick” factor we need to get past at home.<G>)

I think Evie is looking for something to help her dh, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson’s…and is way too young for that! If she can get him to eat a raw diet, I think it would help immensely.

Sharyn

Guest guest

"and is way too young for that" What did I say? Can't remember, guess I'm not too young for whatever!

I know I can make it at home, I just don't care to have fish smell in the house. I want to go and eat it and not bring it home. That and I'm basically very lazy.

S

Guest guest

I don't do grains. Go to Dr. Graham and click on the "articles" section. He has some great information there. He claims grains cause mucus/blockage in our organs much like cholesterol causes blockage in our arteries.

Another great place to read is Raw School I may have already given you these links, but there is a ton of information on both of them.

It's all about an open mind.

Shari

Guest guest

You can soak garbanzos and then sprout them for a couple days. Then you can use them much like you would cooked chickpeas. The only thing is you have to really watch them and rinse quite often during the day and taste them each day or they "go" on you quite quickly.

I've tasted some delightful hummus from raw, sprouted garbanzos.

Shari

Guest guest

"Ev, who is reading Louise Hay and wonders if we can't stay in a comfortable middle ground and do just as well ... ?" You might ask your friend, but I'll bet she'll say "100% for best results". Look at it this way, you fill up your car with 15 gallons of premium gas, but your tank holds 16 gallons. Oh well, I'll save a few bucks and put in a gallon of free water................think it will make a difference? You bet!

Talk to your friend with MS. What a living, breathing, walking testimony! I'm sure she would be excited to share her story with you. Make sure you bring your husband.

Have you gone to the Hallelujah Acres website and read the testimonies on Parkinson's? There is one there and I am familiar with the woman. To my knowledge she is still doing very well, 6 years after that testimony was written.

Shari

Guest guest

You can sprout grains... check the files on HOW TO.. and sprouting..

make great salads..

Suzi

From: <autumn3scorpio@...>Subject: Re: Raw Diet?health Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 5:55 PM

Thanks for this - I have more questions!

Like, what about grains? Those need cooking, too.

Guest guest

What does he say about "Sprouted" grains?

I do them but not unsprouted.

Suzi-- On Thu, 6/26/08, SV <shavig@...> wrote:

From: SV <shavig@...>Subject: Re: Raw Diet?health Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 6:16 PM

I don't do grains. Go to Dr. Graham and click on the "articles" section. He has some great information there. He claims grains cause mucus/blockage in our organs much like cholesterol causes blockage in our arteries.

Guest guest

You can soak beans and either sprout them or, after soaking, rinse and grind them. Make a sauce or dip. There are a bazillion recipes for them.

There are many foods with protein.

Guest guest

Oh PULEEZE don't mention goat milk and soy in the same sentence! ***vbg***

Re: Raw Diet?

Soy Milk (try goat milk) .

Guest guest

Evie can start by offering him smoothies with ***hidden*** ingredients. A banana will hide a lot of yellow squash!

RE: Raw Diet?

I don’t see why you can’t make your own ceviche, Shari…it’s basically just “cooking” in acid (citric or some sort of vinegar) rather than heat. I admit I’ve never made my own, but I think it should be easy enough. (Maybe it’s just the “ick” factor we need to get past at home.<G>)

I think Evie is looking for something to help her dh, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson’s…and is way too young for that! If she can get him to eat a raw diet, I think it would help immensely.

Sharyn

I love ceviche! Have not found a good source since my favorite restaurant quit making it and I don't want to make it at home. No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG.Version: 8.0.101 / Virus Database: 270.4.1/1521 - Release Date: 6/26/2008 11:20 AM

Guest guest

Suzanne - he says NO grains at all, sprouted or otherwise. He's got a good book out "Grain Damage". I'll scare it up and cite a few lines from it tomorrow. I'm on a deadline trying to get a project done by tomorrow. Had to take a break because I am confusing myself! Of course that's not hard to do!

Shari