RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Kathleen,

As soon as you can, see if either the school district you're in will help (can you even *have* an IEP when you're homeschooling?) with a neuropsychological assessment. If they won't or can't, then I'd suggest finding your own neuropsych doctor. Where are you currently located? You can either go to a child development center in a hospital or to a private neuropsychologist for a diagnosis (with referral from your doctor). There have also been diagnoses done by regular neurologists and regular psychologists, but I prefer the neuropsych from the research I've done- I feel it's more comprehensive.

From there, there are a variety of services available to you depending on your location. Here in RI, all you need is a diagnosis to get services from a CEDARR center, who basically acts as a go-between for the Department of Human Services and the actual service providers who put staff people into people's homes (the parents are in charge of all services though) to assist their children to work toward specific goals. So, there's a start.

As for the wandering off/running away business, one family I visited with recently has the same problem with their Autistic son. They had plastic handles over the regular door handles, that you had to squeeze in two particular spots before you could get a grip and turn the handle. There are also motion alarms you can rig up over the doors for fairly cheap and just turn on at night so that you can sleep more comfortably. Another option that we utilized when I worked in direct care was a pressure-sensitive mat. We used it for Alzheimer's patients who wandered. It let the staff know when the resident would get out of bed at night.

That should be enough information for you to chew on for a bit! Good luck, and keep us posted.

:) Be well,

On 1/13/07, Visscher family <kvmoose@...> wrote:

OKay.. here's where I'm at in this journey. I have 5 children.

my 4 1/2 year old is the one who we think has autism. he is showing signs of it.

he is a very smart little boy though. he can say the alphabet and count to 50, and lots of other things. but he doesn't converse. He has other little quirks.

I am wondering how some of you have dealt with this. those that have other childen. we homeschool as well so I have all the children all the time.

Isaac is my 4 year old:) he likes to play in the potty. he used to play in his diaper. he was hard to potty train but he is fully wet trained but still goes stinkies in his pants most of the time. he goes to the bathroom to do it but still....

I am not sure how to deal with this. he also doesn't seem to have normal social graces or pick them up like my other children have.

he is the middle child. one of the children younger than him can say please and thank you. I have worked with Isaac on this and he just doesn't get it. he'll say the words but not at the right times:) he can say I'm sorry as well but not when he needs to.

I am just not sure what to do.

I am askign this now because my husband has been working long hours. as in this week he worked 95 hours. so it's me and the kids in a new town and I'm just kind of uncertain where to turn.

I think I mentioned earlier that he has not been tested yet. we do not have insurance right now. soon though, Mark just switched jobs and we have to wait 90 days to get stuff with the new company. it'll be soon though.

but how do I find a DR who is good at this? who will be understanding and not condemning? I really liked our former family DR back in MI he was great but what should look for in a DR that will be a great asset in helping Isaac be his best?

I have more questions but I need to keep up with my kiddos here too!

oh and one other thing. Isaac likes to escape. I have caught him but he has run out our front door, we live in a townhosue. no screen door to slow him down either! at our former home ( we owned a house and now we rent ) we had a screen door. and we used a hook and eye lock on the top and that worked pretty well. he opens the dead bolt here.

and I had a latch on his bedroom door for at bedtime and he'd stay in there but now I do not and he is up wandering all over at all hours. I'm running on empty here. What can I do to keep him safe. and me sane:)

I do have a windchime on the inside of the door as kind of an " Isaac " alert!!

in the meantime.. please pray I meet new people and can get out there to find the right help for Isaac!

I better go

Kathleen

-- Don't Breed, Don't Buy, Adopt!

www.avianwelfare.org

Guest guest

Dear Kathleen,

It sounds like you are already doing well with many things. I

really wish I could homeschool my kids, but there seem to be too many

hurdles for me at this time.

You will find the right doctor. Ask around as you get to know

people. Maybe someone you meet tomorrow or next week will give you a

lead. We will pray for you. I met most of our family doctors through

a friend with a child with high functioning autism. I like those

doctors much better than the one we had before who was condeming. Our

new doctor is so positive I had to write him a letter as soon as I

left the office. I wonder if he knew or realized how much a

difference he made in our visit/lives by being positive. (I told him

in the note)

In the mean time you might want to do some reading? Learning

always seems to empower me. It's a step forward?

Moving is stressful. Again, it sounds like you are already doing

an incredable job! Hang in there!

(Mother of three on the spectrum)

> OKay.. here's where I'm at in this journey. I have 5

children.

> my 4 1/2 year old is the one who we think has autism. he is

showing signs of it.

>

> he is a very smart little boy though. he can say the alphabet and

count to 50, and lots of other things. but he doesn't converse. He

has other little quirks.

> I am wondering how some of you have dealt with this. those that

have other childen. we homeschool as well so I have all the children

all the time.

>

> Isaac is my 4 year old:) he likes to play in the potty. he used to

play in his diaper. he was hard to potty train but he is fully wet

trained but still goes stinkies in his pants most of the time. he

goes to the bathroom to do it but still....

>

> I am not sure how to deal with this. he also doesn't seem to have

normal social graces or pick them up like my other children have.

>

> he is the middle child. one of the children younger than him can

say please and thank you. I have worked with Isaac on this and he just

doesn't get it. he'll say the words but not at the right times:) he

can say I'm sorry as well but not when he needs to.

>

> I am just not sure what to do.

> I am askign this now because my husband has been working long

hours. as in this week he worked 95 hours. so it's me and the kids in

a new town and I'm just kind of uncertain where to turn.

>

> I think I mentioned earlier that he has not been tested yet. we do

not have insurance right now. soon though, Mark just switched jobs and

we have to wait 90 days to get stuff with the new company. it'll be

soon though.

>

> but how do I find a DR who is good at this? who will be

understanding and not condemning? I really liked our former family DR

back in MI he was great but what should look for in a DR that will be

a great asset in helping Isaac be his best?

>

> I have more questions but I need to keep up with my kiddos here too!

>

> oh and one other thing. Isaac likes to escape. I have caught him

but he has run out our front door, we live in a townhosue. no screen

door to slow him down either! at our former home ( we owned a house

and now we rent ) we had a screen door. and we used a hook and eye

lock on the top and that worked pretty well. he opens the dead bolt here.

>

> and I had a latch on his bedroom door for at bedtime and he'd stay

in there but now I do not and he is up wandering all over at all

hours. I'm running on empty here. What can I do to keep him safe. and

me sane:)

>

> I do have a windchime on the inside of the door as kind of an

" Isaac " alert!!

>

> in the meantime.. please pray I meet new people and can get out

there to find the right help for Isaac!

>

> I better go

> Kathleen

>

>

>

>

>

> I love a child with Aspergers

> Please, read, learn, and love

>

> KELLY

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.

> Try the free Beta.

>

Guest guest

Also there are government programs that will pay for alarm systems etc if necessary for your childs health and safety. My dd is in the "Mental Health Waiver Program" here in Iowa and as well as paying for therapy, they pay for items like the ones mentioned below. Just a thought, since I know my son quickly learned how to pull the plastic doorknob covers apart and THEN open the door! Good luck and God bless! DeeDee Avian Rights <avianrights@...> wrote: Hi Kathleen, As soon as you can, see if either the school district you're in will help (can you even *have* an IEP when you're homeschooling?) with a neuropsychological assessment. If they won't or can't, then I'd suggest finding your own neuropsych doctor. Where are you currently located? You can either go to a child development center in a hospital or to a private neuropsychologist for a diagnosis (with referral from your doctor). There have also been diagnoses done by regular neurologists and regular psychologists, but I prefer the neuropsych from the research I've done- I feel it's more comprehensive. From there, there are a variety of services available to you depending on your location. Here in RI, all you need is a diagnosis to get services from a CEDARR center, who basically acts as a go-between for the Department of Human Services and the actual service providers who put staff people into people's homes

(the parents are in charge of all services though) to assist their children to work toward specific goals. So, there's a start. As for the wandering off/running away business, one family I visited with recently has the same problem with their Autistic son. They had plastic handles over the regular door handles, that you had to squeeze in two particular spots before you could get a grip and turn the handle. There are also motion alarms you can rig up over the doors for fairly cheap and just turn on at night so that you can sleep more comfortably. Another option that we utilized when I worked in direct care was a pressure-sensitive mat. We used it for Alzheimer's patients who wandered. It let the staff know when the resident would get out of bed at night. That should be enough information for you to chew on for a bit! Good luck, and keep us posted. :) Be well, On 1/13/07, Visscher family <kvmoosecomcast (DOT) net> wrote: OKay.. here's where I'm at in this journey. I have 5 children. my 4 1/2 year old is the one who we think has autism. he is showing signs of it. he is a very smart little boy though. he can say the alphabet and count to 50, and lots of other things. but he doesn't converse. He has other little quirks. I am wondering how some of you have dealt with this. those that have other childen. we homeschool as well

so I have all the children all the time. Isaac is my 4 year old:) he likes to play in the potty. he used to play in his diaper. he was hard to potty train but he is fully wet trained but still goes stinkies in his pants most of the time. he goes to the bathroom to do it but still.... I am not sure how to deal with this. he also doesn't seem to have normal social graces or pick them up like my other children have. he is the middle child. one of the children younger than him can say please and thank you. I have worked with Isaac on this and he just doesn't get it. he'll say the words but not at the right times:) he can say I'm sorry as well but not when he needs to. I am just not sure what to do. I am askign this now because my husband has been working long hours. as in this week he worked 95 hours. so it's me and the kids in a new town and I'm just kind of uncertain where to turn. I think I mentioned earlier that he has not been tested yet. we do not have insurance right now. soon though, Mark just switched jobs and we have to wait 90 days to get stuff with the new company. it'll be soon though. but how do I find a DR who is good at this? who will be understanding and not condemning? I really liked our former family DR back in MI he was great but what should look for in a DR that will be a great asset in helping Isaac be

his best? I have more questions but I need to keep up with my kiddos here too! oh and one other thing. Isaac likes to escape. I have caught him but he has run out our front door, we live in a townhosue. no screen door to slow him down either! at our former home ( we owned a house and now we rent ) we had a screen door. and we used a hook and eye lock on the top and that worked pretty well. he opens the dead bolt here. and I had a latch on his bedroom door for at bedtime and he'd stay in there but now I do not and he is up wandering all over at all hours. I'm running on empty here. What can I do to keep him safe. and me sane:) I do have a windchime on the inside of the door as kind of an "Isaac" alert!! in the meantime.. please pray I meet new people and can get out there to find the right help for Isaac! I better go Kathleen -- Don't Breed, Don't Buy, Adopt! www.avianwelfare.org

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Q&A for great tips from Answers users.

Guest guest

See below for reply...

Questions

Hi. Call me nick. Me and my partner found out that he is HIV+ on our 1st year anniversary. It was an incidental finding, as he had to do blood test for other reason. i have questions, appreciate your answers.1. I am tested negative. Is there any possibilities that i have been infected, but the test could not detect it yet? We didnt use protection throughout the 1 year. The last time we had sex was 2 weeks before my blood test. should i go for regular blood test?

Yes, so you should continue to be tested regularly.2. He is perfectly healthy before the 'breaking news'. He was gaining weight. but lately his body is pretty warm -something like fever. and he looks tired. Are these symptoms or just the effects of shock and depression?

Initially people experience flu-like symptoms when they convert... but if he hasn't been exposed since over a year ago he is likely just experiencing depression or something else... See the email from the doctor in San Francisico about this...3. We did a detailed blood test (inclusive of blood count, D4 etc). and the result is coming out in a month's time. while waiting for the result, what should we do?

A month is along time but this is a good first step to see how healthy he is... there's nothing you need to do while you wait other than practice safer sex and be healthy... eat right, exercise, etc...4. Should he quit smoking? what about me?

Yes to both! Regardless of HIV, but especially because of it.5. We used to visit the gym 3 times a week but stop last december. Should we go back? does it help?

Yes... go back to the gym... it helps.... and remember, you can lead a pretty normal life with HIV6. What are the early symptoms?

Symptoms of what? After initial infection peole sometimes experience severe flu like symptoms... After that you feel pretty normal... for a long time... it all depends how his blood counts are which will tell you how far along he is... you can be POZ and be very healthy... if the numbers indicate he needs meds he should start them... the doc will be able to tell you more... the doc should also run resistance test (Genotype/Phenotype) which will tell what type of meds will work and what he is resistant to.

As I suggested... search the messages for things like 'symptoms' 'smoking', etc... there is a bunch of info in there....Thanks.Welcome to our group!If you received this email from someone who forwarded it to you and would like to join this group, send a blank email to -subscribe and you will get an email with instructions to follow. You can chose to receive single emails or a daily digest (collection of emails). You can post pictures, images, attach files and search by keyword old postings in the group.For those of you who are members already and want to switch from single emails to digest or vice versa, visit www., click on , then on "edit my membership" and go down to your selection. The list administrator does not process any requests, so this is a do-it-yourself easy process ! :)Thanks for joining. You

will learn and share a lot in this group!NOTE: I moderate, approve or disapprove emails before they are posted. Please follow the guidelines shown in the homepage. I will not allow rudeness, sexually explicit material, attacks, and anyone who does not follow the rules. If you are not OK with this, please do not join the group. Forward this email to anyone who may benefit from this information! Thanks!In Health, Vergel (PoWeRTX@...)List Founder and Moderator

Guest guest

See below for reply...

Questions

Hi. Call me nick. Me and my partner found out that he is HIV+ on our 1st year anniversary. It was an incidental finding, as he had to do blood test for other reason. i have questions, appreciate your answers.1. I am tested negative. Is there any possibilities that i have been infected, but the test could not detect it yet? We didnt use protection throughout the 1 year. The last time we had sex was 2 weeks before my blood test. should i go for regular blood test?

Yes, so you should continue to be tested regularly.2. He is perfectly healthy before the 'breaking news'. He was gaining weight. but lately his body is pretty warm -something like fever. and he looks tired. Are these symptoms or just the effects of shock and depression?

Initially people experience flu-like symptoms when they convert... but if he hasn't been exposed since over a year ago he is likely just experiencing depression or something else... See the email from the doctor in San Francisico about this...3. We did a detailed blood test (inclusive of blood count, D4 etc). and the result is coming out in a month's time. while waiting for the result, what should we do?

A month is along time but this is a good first step to see how healthy he is... there's nothing you need to do while you wait other than practice safer sex and be healthy... eat right, exercise, etc...4. Should he quit smoking? what about me?

Yes to both! Regardless of HIV, but especially because of it.5. We used to visit the gym 3 times a week but stop last december. Should we go back? does it help?

Yes... go back to the gym... it helps.... and remember, you can lead a pretty normal life with HIV6. What are the early symptoms?

Symptoms of what? After initial infection peole sometimes experience severe flu like symptoms... After that you feel pretty normal... for a long time... it all depends how his blood counts are which will tell you how far along he is... you can be POZ and be very healthy... if the numbers indicate he needs meds he should start them... the doc will be able to tell you more... the doc should also run resistance test (Genotype/Phenotype) which will tell what type of meds will work and what he is resistant to.

As I suggested... search the messages for things like 'symptoms' 'smoking', etc... there is a bunch of info in there....Thanks.Welcome to our group!If you received this email from someone who forwarded it to you and would like to join this group, send a blank email to -subscribe and you will get an email with instructions to follow. You can chose to receive single emails or a daily digest (collection of emails). You can post pictures, images, attach files and search by keyword old postings in the group.For those of you who are members already and want to switch from single emails to digest or vice versa, visit www., click on , then on "edit my membership" and go down to your selection. The list administrator does not process any requests, so this is a do-it-yourself easy process ! :)Thanks for joining. You

will learn and share a lot in this group!NOTE: I moderate, approve or disapprove emails before they are posted. Please follow the guidelines shown in the homepage. I will not allow rudeness, sexually explicit material, attacks, and anyone who does not follow the rules. If you are not OK with this, please do not join the group. Forward this email to anyone who may benefit from this information! Thanks!In Health, Vergel (PoWeRTX@...)List Founder and Moderator

Guest guest

Hi... sorry for asking a bit more... as you know i am

new in this. I found couple of interesting things

(that i could not understand) in this email.... so i

wonder if you could clarify it.

> --- " jlew64@... " <jlew64@...> wrote:

>

> >

> > Initially people experience flu-like symptoms when

> > they convert... but if he hasn't been exposed

> since

> > over a year ago he is likely just experiencing

> > depression or something else... See the email from

> > the doctor in San Francisico about this...

> >

what do you mean with convertion? how long can one

have the virus without being converted? This fever,

or lot of sweatering one has.... is it dangerous?

I know couple of people who are also hiv and they

always ask me if i am having fever or if i sweat a

lot (that is actually happening to me...)... but they

don't explain me why/what is going on... it gets me

nervous like if something bad could happen.

> > 6. What are the early symptoms?

> >

> > Symptoms of what? After initial infection peole

> > sometimes experience severe flu like symptoms...

> > After that you feel pretty normal... for a long

> > time... it all depends how his blood counts are

> > which will tell you how far along he is... you can

> > be POZ and be very healthy... if the numbers

> > indicate he needs meds he should start them... the

> > doc will be able to tell you more... the doc

> should

> > also run resistance test (Genotype/Phenotype)

> which

> > will tell what type of meds will work and what he

> is

> > resistant to.

> >

what do you mean with how far along he is? can this

exams tell you when you will get really sick? if so..

can i prevent it? I am newly diagnosed, and my biggest

fear is to get very ill some day... i have never been

really sick... never been in a hospital for more than

couple of hours... i am affraid i will fall in

hospital bed. I want to avoid it.

Other thing, here i have been told i will need to

make CD4 and viral load test, goverment programme only

covers CD4 test, the other i have to pay it but it

is very very expensive. So i wonder that if i go to

the Dr with the cd4 test and miss the viral load...

would it be a problem? how long can i skip it since i

am mostly healthy (i had diarrea for about 2 weeks but

my stomage is mostly ok right now).

Thanks for your answers... sorry if i ask too much.

greetings

XK

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Looking for earth-friendly autos?

Browse Top Cars by " Green Rating " at Autos' Green Center.

http://autos./green_center/

Guest guest

Hi... sorry for asking a bit more... as you know i am

new in this. I found couple of interesting things

(that i could not understand) in this email.... so i

wonder if you could clarify it.

> --- " jlew64@... " <jlew64@...> wrote:

>

> >

> > Initially people experience flu-like symptoms when

> > they convert... but if he hasn't been exposed

> since

> > over a year ago he is likely just experiencing

> > depression or something else... See the email from

> > the doctor in San Francisico about this...

> >

what do you mean with convertion? how long can one

have the virus without being converted? This fever,

or lot of sweatering one has.... is it dangerous?

I know couple of people who are also hiv and they

always ask me if i am having fever or if i sweat a

lot (that is actually happening to me...)... but they

don't explain me why/what is going on... it gets me

nervous like if something bad could happen.

> > 6. What are the early symptoms?

> >

> > Symptoms of what? After initial infection peole

> > sometimes experience severe flu like symptoms...

> > After that you feel pretty normal... for a long

> > time... it all depends how his blood counts are

> > which will tell you how far along he is... you can

> > be POZ and be very healthy... if the numbers

> > indicate he needs meds he should start them... the

> > doc will be able to tell you more... the doc

> should

> > also run resistance test (Genotype/Phenotype)

> which

> > will tell what type of meds will work and what he

> is

> > resistant to.

> >

what do you mean with how far along he is? can this

exams tell you when you will get really sick? if so..

can i prevent it? I am newly diagnosed, and my biggest

fear is to get very ill some day... i have never been

really sick... never been in a hospital for more than

couple of hours... i am affraid i will fall in

hospital bed. I want to avoid it.

Other thing, here i have been told i will need to

make CD4 and viral load test, goverment programme only

covers CD4 test, the other i have to pay it but it

is very very expensive. So i wonder that if i go to

the Dr with the cd4 test and miss the viral load...

would it be a problem? how long can i skip it since i

am mostly healthy (i had diarrea for about 2 weeks but

my stomage is mostly ok right now).

Thanks for your answers... sorry if i ask too much.

greetings

XK

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Looking for earth-friendly autos?

Browse Top Cars by " Green Rating " at Autos' Green Center.

http://autos./green_center/

Guest guest

Just touching the metal lid for a short time period should not prove to be

deadly.

Its when you brew in metal it becomes a problem.

Corning ware is fine, I was brewing in a ceramic pot ( untill the spigot

decided to go belly up) Just be sure there is no

lead in either the clay or the glaze. Simply touching a plate shouldn't be

harmful, its long term exposure to lead and other metals that is the problem

Tell your friend to stop worrying and just do the best she can. Im sure that

scoby has survived and will make her a nice brew.

Huggs

zoe

Thursday, April 5, 2007, 7:54:43 PM, you wrote:

> i have a friend that is wanting to start brewing KT. i gave her a

> scoby but i guess in transit from school to her home she is not sure

> if the scoby accidentally may have touched the lid of the jar. i

> guess the jar fell over in the car. what are the effects on the scoby

> if it does touch metal? should she scrap it and wait for another one?

> also is it ok for the scoby to touch a corningware or ceramic plate?

> thanks for the help.

> Ariella

>

Guest guest

thanks for responding. i just passed your email onto her. that is

also good knowledge to know for myself :)

Ariella

> > i have a friend that is wanting to start brewing KT. i gave her

a

> > scoby but i guess in transit from school to her home she is not

sure

> > if the scoby accidentally may have touched the lid of the jar.

i

> > guess the jar fell over in the car. what are the effects on the

scoby

> > if it does touch metal? should she scrap it and wait for another

one?

>

> > also is it ok for the scoby to touch a corningware or ceramic

plate?

>

> > thanks for the help.

>

> > Ariella

>

>

>

> >

Guest guest

Thanks for the reply

Do you know why your son has constipation? How did you prove the bladder had

become numb? I use to think my son was constipated due to the fact he just

didn't want to take the time to go to the bathroom. Now I am not so sure.

He has bronchiectasis, adrenal insufficiency, responses to vaccinations but

then loses them, particial response to pnuemonia vaccination AND no diagnosis.

I have a daughter who is 6. She may have bronchiectasis. She is adrenally

insufficient, with sinus and ear troubles, no HIB response (maybe?) AND no

diagnosis.

I have two older children with nothing wrong with them. I ask these questions

just so I can understand. We keep looking for answers. I am trying to put the

pieces together.

Thanks for your time

Theresa

RCurk@... wrote:

This is the same reason that was put on the Miralax. He does

have

very significant chronic constipation and it has pressed on the back of his

bladder for so long, the bladder has become " numb " . As a result he doesn't

urinate enough resulting in a backflow of urine into his right kidney. We are

now looking at seeing a surgeon for evaluation to see if he is a possible

candidate for the ACE procedure. We would look at doing it the same time that he

has his ureter re-implantation surgery so that the kidney reflux never

happens again due to chronic constipation.

Sorry to hear that your little one has had several UTI's. They're not fun!

In my thoughts and prayers,

Mommy to Annette, specific antibody deficiency and Subclass IGG 2 and 4

deficient. IVIG x 4 years, Sub Q IG x 18 months and LOVES it.

pervious T and B cell abnormalities and antibody deficiency. IVIG x

18 months. He had a complete recovery of function at the 6 months post IVIG

trial and remains IVIG free. In the process of retesting all of his

immunizations for the 3rd time to see if he held them this time.

Mommy to 3 other beautiful and complicated children as well. LOL

_www.caringbridge.com/ny/my2angels_

(http://www.caringbridge.com/ny/my2angels)

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Ursula,

Was her reflux caused by the colonic inertia and how did you know she had

colonic inertia?

The VCUG and ultrasound for my son showed no abnormalities. They told me he

did not have reflux.

My son and daughter have no real diagnosis and I am just trying to fit the

pieces together (if it is possible).

Thanks for your time

Theresa

Ursula Holleman <uahollem1@...> wrote:

Macey takes Miralax for colonic inertia (delayed motility). She also

has had repeated UTIs and Kidney infections due to kidney reflux on both sides.

We've never been told the two are related. She had the kidney reflux before she

ever showed signs of constipation (infancy) and her last VCUG at 6 yrs old was

normal and her last kidney infection was around 5 yrs old. She still has

constipation issues and is about to be 12.

Ursula - mom to (14) and Macey (11, CVID)

http://www.primaryimmune.org

http://www.jmfworld.org

http://caringbridge.org/ga/macey/

Guest guest

Hi Theresa,

's VCUG indicate incomplete bladder emptying, but mainly because he

just has SOOO much urine in there. The doctor explained that his colon is so

dialated at this time that the colon presses on the back of the bladder and

decreases sensation. This results in an excess acculamation of urine in the

bladder and the backup of urine into his kidney. The only way to fully protect

his kidneys at this point is to fully control the constipation.

As to the " why " is he constipated? No one has answered that adequately for

me. I have been very frustrated for years as to " why " this happens. He has

had this problem since he was an infant (needed mineral oil 2 x a day for 3

years from 1 - 3 and then we went to Miralax). His biological brother, my one

year old, is also having the same issues, but he also has a neurogenic

bladder so they are evaluating him for tethered cord syndrome. is also

having a full spine MRI to rule out tethered cord for him too, but I am pretty

sure that this is not an issue for him, but will be relieved to hear it

officially.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Mommy to Annette, specific antibody deficiency and Subclass IGG 2 adn 4

deficient. IVIG x 4 years, Sub Q IG x 18 months and LOVES it.

pervious T and B cell abnormalities and antibody deficiency. IVIG x

18 months. He had a complete recovery of function at the 6 months post IVIG

trial and remains IVIG free. In the process of retesting all of his

immunizations for the 3rd time to see if he held them this time.

Mommy to 3 other beautiful and complicated children as well. LOL

_www.caringbridge.com/ny/my2angels_

(http://www.caringbridge.com/ny/my2angels)

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Yes, children with PID, autoimmune, and metabolic issues may have slow gut, back

up, constipation or whatever the docs want to call it. You might have to

educate the docs on this point. Though, very few of us have answers as to " why "

this happens.

A few years ago, Dani has an emergent CT scan on her abdomen -- doc suspected

" pseudo obstruction " . Once she was cleaned out and maintained on miralax (can

hardly stool without it), her abdominal pain, nausea, occasional vomiting, and

high fevers of " unknown orgin " resolved. That was before the clean out and

daily miralax use. She's been on it for 2 years and can hardly stool without

it.

mom to Dani, CVID

Guest guest

Thanks for the info

Theresa

Schulman <dietdoc@...> wrote:

Yes, children with PID, autoimmune, and metabolic issues may have slow

gut, back up, constipation or whatever the docs want to call it. You might have

to educate the docs on this point. Though, very few of us have answers as to

" why " this happens.

A few years ago, Dani has an emergent CT scan on her abdomen -- doc suspected

" pseudo obstruction " . Once she was cleaned out and maintained on miralax (can

hardly stool without it), her abdominal pain, nausea, occasional vomiting, and

high fevers of " unknown orgin " resolved. That was before the clean out and daily

miralax use. She's been on it for 2 years and can hardly stool without it.

mom to Dani, CVID

Guest guest

I'll repost this and see if I can get a Flame retardant answer this time

> Like Frantz says, Hi-jacking saves the time of going to the site and starting

a thread for the sake of a question or two.

> 1. Since it's possible to buy dedicated filters, can we beginners assume that

all the goodness lurks in solution rather than suspension?

> 2. Also in my neck of the woods a search for Hibiscus yielded a herbal (Sorry

USA, I still pronounce the " H " ) infusion of 50/50 Hibiscus/Rose hip, does the

collective wisdom reckon this is viable?

And if so, with added K sinensis a guesstimate of proportions would be

appreciated.

> 3. On seeing the warnings about over consumption, (can't say it's ever

bothered me) and knowing that long keeping makes the brew more acetic, how do

you reconcile this with the 2 or 3 or more continuous brews seen in some of the

photos?

> And finally Yippeeeee! At last I finally managed sufficient backlog to allow a

full ferment.

>

Nn. England.

Comical P.S. pruned.

Stop being so intolerant. Of what? you stupid man. ? It takes time to get use to

this stuff. I am sorry your patients is declined. But most of humans are that

way. Way so dont worry everything will be ok

????????????????????????????Huh??????????????????????????????????????

Guest guest

In message <753043.49752.qm@...> you wrote:

> 2.... infusion of 50/50 Hibiscus/Rose hip, does the collective wisdom

> reckon this is viable?

Yes, I (having collected all my scattered wisdom together) would say YES!

Hibiscus and Rosehip are extremely compatible and similar in taste. Both

are high in vitamin C and share other similar health benefits.

> And if so, with added K sinensis a guesstimate of proportions would be

> appreciated.

This is a modification of Pangie's wonderful recipe.

HibiKombu

Water: 1 bucket/large glass (4 1/2 litres)

Tea Green: 4 Teaspoons

Tea White: 3 Teaspoons

Herbal Tea Nettle: 2 Heaped Teaspoons

Herbal Tea Hibiscus: 3-5 Teaspoons

Sugar: 500 - 550 Grams (2 1/2 cups)

If you use a Hibiscus/Rosehip herbal tisane instead Hibiscus only,

I would use 5 teabags for the 4 1/2 - 5 litres (plus whatever tea you

want to use!)

Instead using white and green tea, you can use any green tea either

by itself or with black or oolong tea. There are no hard and fast

rules....just bung it in as the fancy takes you ;-)

> And finally Yippeeeee!

> At last I finally managed sufficient backlog to allow a full ferment.

Oh, you mean that until now you were in such a hurry to get at the KT

that you had it before it was actually properly finished?? ;-)

> Comical P.S.

> " So far my favorite KT is the WOG. (White OOlong, Green) KT. "

> Is this term still politically correct

Absolutely, 100% and if you disagree, you are welcome to come over for

a merry punch-up ;-)

Explanation: The problem does not lie in the word, but what people

chose to associate it with.

Good job that Kombucha is ALWAYS politically correct, or better still,

cut out the 'politically', it might give it a bad taste or odour ;-)

definitely kombuchaly, especially the blushing one :0),

Margret

--

+------------------ Minstrel@... --------------------+

<:))))<>< http://www.therpc.f9.co.uk <:))))<><

http://www.AnswersInGenesis.com

+----------------- http://www.Gotquestions.org ------------------+

Be Cheerful. Of all the things you wear, your expression is most important

Guest guest

Hi Lois,

Don't worry, I am not going to answer your questions. LOL Although

I know some answers from all my reading. I have been reading for

hrs! Anyway, did you check out Kombucha Unveiled yet? It's great!

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/~kombu/FAQ/homeFAQ.html

jan

>

> I just read that is is important to rinse the Kombucha colony under

cool

> water before replacing it into the fermenting jar. Do you do this?

> Consistently? Not at all?

>

> For second ferment or storage: which caps do you prefer and why?

> Recycled bottle tops? EZ Cap? Corks? Air-lock? Other?...

>

>

> Happy Sunday!

> Lois (in the Midsouth)

>

Guest guest

On 7/1/07, bosseringme <bosseringme@...> wrote:

>

> I just read that is is important to rinse the Kombucha colony under cool

****I never rinse my scobies. If for some reason you MUST rinse a scoby I

would only do so with either sour KT or white distilled vinegar.

For second ferment or storage: which caps do you prefer and why?

> Recycled bottle tops? EZ Cap? Corks? Air-lock? Other?

****I use a combination of bottles. I have Grolsch beer bottles which are

equal to the EZ Cap bottles. I have Perrier and Peligreno glass water

bottles(I have replaced the metal caps with plastic soda bottle caps). I

have a couple of wine or sparkling apple juice bottles that had screw on

metal caps (soda bottle caps fit these bottles). I also have some Sobe

bottles (I've replaced their metal caps with plastic caps from salad

dressing bottles.) I even have a large four liter bottle that once held

domestic wine (the salad dressing bottle caps fit these as well). Because I

am on a very limited budget, I try to purchase bottles that have contents

that I will use and then recycle the bottle. I have found that the Grolsch

beer bottles hold carbonation the best with the Perrier water bottles coming

in second.

If a recycled metal cap has plastic at the inner top, is it okay to use?

*****Some people say yes as long as you frequently inspect the inner liner

as it will eventually degrade. Personally if I can't replace a metal cap

with a plastic one from a different type of bottle, then I put several

layers of plastic wrap between the cap and the bottle. I do this on a few

Arizona Tea bottles and some apple juice bottles that I haven't found

plastic replacement caps for yet...still looking but haven't found them yet.

Do you leave air space at the top? Do you fill completely to top to

> block out air (in order to avoid possibility of mold)?

****On brews that don't have a whole lot of fizz, sometimes my bottles get

filled to the top but usually my brews are fizzy enough that when I pour

them into my bottles they create enough bubbles that it makes them difficult

to fill to the top.

Do you always bottle for a 2nd ferment? Or consume as is?

****Again depends upon how much backlog I have...I will usually have at

least one glass of each brew while bottling it. If I am low on KT, then it

gets consumed fairly quickly...when I have been on an experimentation jag

and have lots of it bottled then most of it gets a secondary ferment because

I try to consume the oldest KT first.

Is it okay to fold those extra scobies for storage? Or should the

> storage container be sized accordingly?

****They should be fine folded (though they may grow together) as long as

they are covered with acidic KT.

Are stored scobies covered with brew from that batch? New sweet tea

> added?

****If I am not immediately starting another batch, then the scobys are

either returned to the Starter Jar (large jar with very acidic KT that holds

extra scobys) or if I am only delaying the new batch for a short period of

time (life interferring etc.) then I will put them back in the same jar with

two cups of starter tea from the just bottled brew and let that sit until I

have time to start the next batch.

Do you clarify your ferments? And if so, what do you use and when?

****Only if I am planning on giving them to someone else and then I do so at

bottling. I use a plastic strainer that I bought on ebay to catch the yeast

bits. For myself everything goes into the bottles and I drink it with the

KT. Even the little scobys that can form in the bottles...I just swallow

them like you would an oyster.

If there is " mother " in the bottle (as in the bottom of raw ACV), will

> that turn into a colony? And can it be added to another brew as one

> would add a scoby?

**** Small scobys that form during secondary ferments in the bottles can be

used to brew along with sufficient starter tea to a batch, however I just

either swallow them if they are blobby or feed them to the dogs if they have

gotten to the more spongey stage.

I burped those very first new bottles this morning. One (no raisins)

> did actually " burp " and the other (with raisins) did not. Comments?

****Each bottle is different. Perhaps one holds the seal better. I have

had bottles from the same batch with no additions act differently from one

another.

If anyone has time to answer any of these questions, thank you so much!

>

> Happy Sunday!

> Lois (in the Midsouth)

>

> --

Live and Love Well,

Sandy (Jennings, FL; zone 8b)

Guest guest

On 7/1/07, bosseringme <bosseringme@...> wrote:

>

****I never rinse my scobies. If for some reason you MUST rinse a scoby I

would only do so with either sour KT or white distilled vinegar.

For second ferment or storage: which caps do you prefer and why?

****I use a combination of bottles. I have Grolsch beer bottles which are

equal to the EZ Cap bottles. I have Perrier and Peligreno glass water

bottles(I have replaced the metal caps with plastic soda bottle caps). I

have a couple of wine or sparkling apple juice bottles that had screw on

metal caps (soda bottle caps fit these bottles). I also have some Sobe

bottles (I've replaced their metal caps with plastic caps from salad

dressing bottles.) I even have a large four liter bottle that once held

domestic wine (the salad dressing bottle caps fit these as well). Because I

am on a very limited budget, I try to purchase bottles that have contents

that I will use and then recycle the bottle. I have found that the Grolsch

beer bottles hold carbonation the best with the Perrier water bottles coming

in second.

If a recycled metal cap has plastic at the inner top, is it okay to use?

*****Some people say yes as long as you frequently inspect the inner liner

as it will eventually degrade. Personally if I can't replace a metal cap

with a plastic one from a different type of bottle, then I put several

layers of plastic wrap between the cap and the bottle. I do this on a few

Arizona Tea bottles and some apple juice bottles that I haven't found

plastic replacement caps for yet...still looking but haven't found them yet.

Do you leave air space at the top? Do you fill completely to top to

****On brews that don't have a whole lot of fizz, sometimes my bottles get

filled to the top but usually my brews are fizzy enough that when I pour

them into my bottles they create enough bubbles that it makes them difficult

to fill to the top.

Do you always bottle for a 2nd ferment? Or consume as is?

****Again depends upon how much backlog I have...I will usually have at

least one glass of each brew while bottling it. If I am low on KT, then it

gets consumed fairly quickly...when I have been on an experimentation jag

and have lots of it bottled then most of it gets a secondary ferment because

I try to consume the oldest KT first.

Is it okay to fold those extra scobies for storage? Or should the

****They should be fine folded (though they may grow together) as long as

they are covered with acidic KT.

Are stored scobies covered with brew from that batch? New sweet tea

> added?

****If I am not immediately starting another batch, then the scobys are

either returned to the Starter Jar (large jar with very acidic KT that holds

extra scobys) or if I am only delaying the new batch for a short period of

time (life interferring etc.) then I will put them back in the same jar with

two cups of starter tea from the just bottled brew and let that sit until I

have time to start the next batch.

Do you clarify your ferments? And if so, what do you use and when?

****Only if I am planning on giving them to someone else and then I do so at

bottling. I use a plastic strainer that I bought on ebay to catch the yeast

bits. For myself everything goes into the bottles and I drink it with the

KT. Even the little scobys that can form in the bottles...I just swallow

them like you would an oyster.

If there is " mother " in the bottle (as in the bottom of raw ACV), will

> would add a scoby?

**** Small scobys that form during secondary ferments in the bottles can be

used to brew along with sufficient starter tea to a batch, however I just

either swallow them if they are blobby or feed them to the dogs if they have

gotten to the more spongey stage.

I burped those very first new bottles this morning. One (no raisins)

****Each bottle is different. Perhaps one holds the seal better. I have

had bottles from the same batch with no additions act differently from one

another.

If anyone has time to answer any of these questions, thank you so much!

>

> Happy Sunday!

> Lois (in the Midsouth)

>

> --

Live and Love Well,

Sandy (Jennings, FL; zone 8b)

Guest guest

In message <f68mck+djgleGroups> you wrote:

Dear Lois,

If you want to lay your culture open to mold, wash it regularly in water.

It gets rid of its concentrated acidic mantle of protection! ;-)

It's extremely bad advice!! The person who suggested that should be

scrubbed in water.....;-)

Caps or corks do nicely. With an airlock you would not get any fizz,

as the CO2 would escape the bottle via the airlock.

> If a recycled metal cap has plastic at the inner top, is it okay to use?

Yes.

> Do you leave air space at the top? Do you fill completely to top to

I fill my bottles right to the top (except when they are corked).

I have never had mold in any Kombucha bottle, even ones kept for many

weeks.

> Do you always bottle for a 2nd ferment?

Mostly yes, for convenience, but I also leave some KT ready to drink in a

jug-like bottle ready for decanting.

> Or consume as is?

That is completely o.k.! I do it all the time, even whilst bottling ;-)

> Is it okay to fold those extra scobies for storage? Or should the

Neatness is not an issue in scoby storage ;-)

> Are stored scobies covered with brew from that batch?

Yes, that is best! As you deplete the liquid using it as starter liquid for

your new brews, you can add subsequent scobys and fresh KT from other brews.

> New sweet tea added?

Not so good, as this stimulates the yeasts and might give you a quick-

souring, not so pleasant tasting KT. From my experience it is always best to

just top up the KT in the holding jar with fresh KT.... less sugar.

> Do you clarify your ferments? And if so, what do you use and when?

Why would you want to? Unless your brew is abnormally yeasty, your KT should

clear nicely by itself. You get a small yeast deposit on the bottom of the

bottle, but all the rest of the liquid is quite clear.

> If there is " mother " in the bottle (as in the bottom of raw ACV), will

> would add a scoby?

Yes, you could use it with plenty of brewed KT to brew another batch....

if you don't eat it first ;-)

> I burped those very first new bottles this morning. One (no raisins)

The burping just makes sure that any possible excess pressure is released

before it can burst the bottle. The ones that have already a pronounce fizz

I put first in the line of bottles ready for consumption. Very often you

will find, that even bottles which didn't have a strong pffff on opening

have developed a pleasant bubbliness in the KT.

I hope that these answers have helped a little in your bottling quest.

Enjoy the contents and don't worry too much!

Have a good week,

Margret:-) from the cool English Midlands across the Big Pond!

--

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Guest guest

In message <f68mck+djgleGroups> you wrote:

Dear Lois,

If you want to lay your culture open to mold, wash it regularly in water.

It gets rid of its concentrated acidic mantle of protection! ;-)

It's extremely bad advice!! The person who suggested that should be

scrubbed in water.....;-)

Caps or corks do nicely. With an airlock you would not get any fizz,

as the CO2 would escape the bottle via the airlock.

> If a recycled metal cap has plastic at the inner top, is it okay to use?

Yes.

> Do you leave air space at the top? Do you fill completely to top to

I fill my bottles right to the top (except when they are corked).

I have never had mold in any Kombucha bottle, even ones kept for many

weeks.

> Do you always bottle for a 2nd ferment?

Mostly yes, for convenience, but I also leave some KT ready to drink in a

jug-like bottle ready for decanting.

> Or consume as is?

That is completely o.k.! I do it all the time, even whilst bottling ;-)

> Is it okay to fold those extra scobies for storage? Or should the

Neatness is not an issue in scoby storage ;-)

> Are stored scobies covered with brew from that batch?

Yes, that is best! As you deplete the liquid using it as starter liquid for

your new brews, you can add subsequent scobys and fresh KT from other brews.

> New sweet tea added?

Not so good, as this stimulates the yeasts and might give you a quick-

souring, not so pleasant tasting KT. From my experience it is always best to

just top up the KT in the holding jar with fresh KT.... less sugar.

> Do you clarify your ferments? And if so, what do you use and when?

Why would you want to? Unless your brew is abnormally yeasty, your KT should

clear nicely by itself. You get a small yeast deposit on the bottom of the

bottle, but all the rest of the liquid is quite clear.

> If there is " mother " in the bottle (as in the bottom of raw ACV), will

> would add a scoby?

Yes, you could use it with plenty of brewed KT to brew another batch....

if you don't eat it first ;-)

> I burped those very first new bottles this morning. One (no raisins)

The burping just makes sure that any possible excess pressure is released

before it can burst the bottle. The ones that have already a pronounce fizz

I put first in the line of bottles ready for consumption. Very often you

will find, that even bottles which didn't have a strong pffff on opening

have developed a pleasant bubbliness in the KT.

I hope that these answers have helped a little in your bottling quest.

Enjoy the contents and don't worry too much!

Have a good week,

Margret:-) from the cool English Midlands across the Big Pond!

--

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Guest guest

Just a thought re: the non-raisin batch burping, and the raisin batch not

burping...I noticed the exact same thing with two batches of my KT, and the

conclusion that I came to was that perhaps the raisins I'd bought were

sulphured, and that affected the yeast in the KT. Maybe that is what happened

to your raisin batch as well?

---------------------------------

Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware

protection.

Guest guest

Just a thought re: the non-raisin batch burping, and the raisin batch not

burping...I noticed the exact same thing with two batches of my KT, and the