RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Have you tried him on any medication? That might help to calm him down.

Lana

From: Chelly <charmedchelly@...>autism Sent: Wed, March 16, 2011 1:34:45 PMSubject: new

Hello-

My name is Chelly and I have an 8yro son that has high fuctioning autistism.

He reacts very violently to his triggers (hits, pulls hair, calls names etc) and as of late, I am finding it harder to help him through those moments and I find it harder to remain calm myself. I have 3 other children who are younger than him & they are often the target of his anger.

I am really struggling with how to keep all my children safe and how to remain calm & helpful during these times.

My son and I are not very close. I am his step-parent, he was 4 when I became a part of the family. He has always been super close to my partner- his birth mom- and we just have never related very well. We love each other very much, but I feel that our lack of common ground & closeness make it harder for us sometimes.

Any advice, support or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Chelly

Guest guest

Amen, Debbie, Pat K

new

autism

Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 12:34 PM

Hello-

My name is Chelly and I have an 8yro son that has high fuctioning

autistism.

He reacts very violently to his triggers (hits, pulls hair, calls names

etc) and as of late, I am finding it harder to help him through those

moments and I find it harder to remain calm myself. I have 3

other children who are younger than him & they are often the target of

his anger. 

I am really struggling with how to keep all my children safe and how to

remain calm & helpful during these times.

My son and I are not very close. I am his step-parent, he was 4 when I

became a part of the family. He has always been super close to my

partner- his birth mom- and we just have never related very well. We

love each other very much, but I feel that our lack of common ground &

closeness make it harder for us sometimes.

Any advice, support or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Chelly

Guest guest

Welcome, -so glad you joined us! I am a fellow celiac, and there are

several others on the group as well, so lots of good info. Poke around our

files/links section to get you started, and feel free to post any questions.

Welcome!

>

> Hello,

> I'm new here and looking for ways to use my vitamix other than smoothies. I

love this piece of equipment so much but just don't seem to have the imagination

for coming up with ways to use it. I bought mine at Sam's after seeing a demo

and when she said those magic words " made in the USA " my husband said " sold! "

> I really want to learn to think outside the box with it and use it for all

kinds of cooking and prep. I am a celiac so learning what other celiacs are

doing with theirs will be fun too.

> Thanks for letting me join.

> in MI

>

Guest guest

Hello ,I posted this just a couple of days ago, but it can't hurt to post again and I hope that it inspires you to use your Vitamix machine in new and exciting ways…Here is a list of ways that I use my Vitamix machine:Green Smoothies (my YouTube Video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lePmw0XEQ & feature=relatedHot Soups (my YouTube Video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsFMiKefkZU & feature=relatedIce Creams (my YouTube Video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoo0Pbt0Ads & feature=relatedFruit Smoothies - also known as Juices, but in a Vitamix they are thicker than "real" juice - (my YouTube Juice Video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgQZTAfCnA & feature=relatedTrue Juices like Carrot Juice, Veggie Juice, and Wheat Grass Juice using the same technique as Rene uses in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGendHVlxroCold Green SoupsHot Green SoupsBlended Salads V-8 "like" JuicesTomato Sauces like Marinara and SpaghettiProcess Tomatoes for canningSalsa (see my website for recipe)Raw Applesauce (see my website for recipe)HummusPuddingsQuiches (chops the veggies and or meats and scrambles the eggs at the same time)Omelettes (chops the veggies and or meats and scrambles the eggs at the same time)Cole SlawHash BrownsChop Veggies for salad toppings or recipes like chili Salads like Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad, Egg Salad, Broccoli Salad, Carrot Salad, etc.MayonnaiseMarinadesHome Made Butter from raw creamHot Fruit SyrupsBatters: Pancake, Corn Bread, Cake, Brownie, Muffin, and Quick BreadsBread Dough from freshly ground grains - Whole Wheat and a non-gluten Rice BreadFlax Seeds can be put in a smoothie whole (not pre-ground where they immediately begin to go rancid) and they become liquified right in the drinkGround Flax Seeds when recipes call for them groundCracked Grains for things like cooked grain cerealsCorn Meal for corn bread, batters for frying fish, corn grits, and polentaNut Butters: Peanut, Almond, Cashew, Mixed Nut, Tahini, Almond/Peanut, etc.Fruit Roll Ups (used my dehydrator to dry them)Chips (used my dehydrator)Cashew Cream: http://community.vitamix.com/_-Vita-Mix-Cashew-Cream/video/876694/22442.htmlCold Compost from left over veggie scraps: http://www.vitamix.com/household/infocenter/summerfun/composting.aspOrganic Bug Spray from halapeno peppers (check out same link as above)Dog Food Gravy from blending cooked chicken carcasses with water!These are just things I've made (and I've probably forgotten some). You can also see more ways to use the Vitamix (with video demonstrations) here:52 Vitamix Feats: http://www.vitamix.com/household/products/super5000/maxnut.aspIf you are a "foodie" you will certainly be interested in how the "Star Chefs" use the Vitamix machine: http://www.vitamix.com/foodservice/starchefs/grahamtim.asphttp://www.starchefs.com/product_education/vita-mix/vitamix-challenge/http://www.starchefs.com/product_education/vita-mix/html/testimonials.shtmlKeep in mind that the 5200 is essentially the same machine as the commercial Vita-Prep except that the Vita-Prep has only a 1 year warranty while the 5200 has a 7-year warranty

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 24, 2011, at 8:41 AM, jaayimee wrote:

Hello,

I'm new here and looking for ways to use my vitamix other than smoothies. I love this piece of equipment so much but just don't seem to have the imagination for coming up with ways to use it. I bought mine at Sam's after seeing a demo and when she said those magic words "made in the USA" my husband said "sold!"

I really want to learn to think outside the box with it and use it for all kinds of cooking and prep. I am a celiac so learning what other celiacs are doing with theirs will be fun too.

Thanks for letting me join.

in MI

Guest guest

You found the right place, ! And we have other Michigan members, too, including ex-pat me! Welcome!

New

Hello,

I'm new here and looking for ways to use my vitamix other than smoothies. I love this piece of equipment so much but just don't seem to have the imagination for coming up with ways to use it. I bought mine at Sam's after seeing a demo and when she said those magic words "made in the USA" my husband said "sold!"

I really want to learn to think outside the box with it and use it for all kinds of cooking and prep. I am a celiac so learning what other celiacs are doing with theirs will be fun too.

in MI

Guest guest

You found the right place, ! And we have other Michigan members, too, including ex-pat me! Welcome!

New

Hello,

in MI

Guest guest

, there's a site that you can go to...I think www.vitamixahoy.com (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the site addy) select recipes then you can choose criteria for your recipes (like gluten free, diabetic, etc. It will give you tons of recipes like this. Give it a try and let me know what you think :-)

~Davinna

On Mar 24, 2011 8:41 AM, " jaayimee " <jaayimee@...> wrote:> Hello,> I'm new here and looking for ways to use my vitamix other than smoothies. I love this piece of equipment so much but just don't seem to have the imagination for coming up with ways to use it. I bought mine at Sam's after seeing a demo and when she said those magic words " made in the USA " my husband said " sold! "

> I really want to learn to think outside the box with it and use it for all kinds of cooking and prep. I am a celiac so learning what other celiacs are doing with theirs will be fun too.> Thanks for letting me join.

> in MI> > >

Guest guest

, there's a site that you can go to...I think www.vitamixahoy.com (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the site addy) select recipes then you can choose criteria for your recipes (like gluten free, diabetic, etc. It will give you tons of recipes like this. Give it a try and let me know what you think :-)

~Davinna

On Mar 24, 2011 8:41 AM, " jaayimee " <jaayimee@...> wrote:> Hello,> I'm new here and looking for ways to use my vitamix other than smoothies. I love this piece of equipment so much but just don't seem to have the imagination for coming up with ways to use it. I bought mine at Sam's after seeing a demo and when she said those magic words " made in the USA " my husband said " sold! "

> I really want to learn to think outside the box with it and use it for all kinds of cooking and prep. I am a celiac so learning what other celiacs are doing with theirs will be fun too.> Thanks for letting me join.

> in MI> > >

Guest guest

http://www.google.com/search?q=celiac+%2Bvitamix & rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Sear\

chBox & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8 & sourceid=ie7 & rlz=1I7GPMD_en

>

> Hello,

love this piece of equipment so much but just don't seem to have the imagination

and when she said those magic words " made in the USA " my husband said " sold! "

> in MI

>

Guest guest

http://www.google.com/search?q=celiac+%2Bvitamix & rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Sear\

chBox & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8 & sourceid=ie7 & rlz=1I7GPMD_en

>

> Hello,

> in MI

>

Guest guest

Welcome ! A wealth of info and kind caring people here. Lots of

things you can do.

Have you made ice cream?

Hot soup from cold ingredients cooked in the VM?

Cheese sauce?

Chopped ingredients coleslaw or chunky soup? potatoes for hashbrowns?

made a batch of pancake batter or brownies or a dough ball of fresh

ground wheat for bread?

ground popcorn, then turned it into cornbread batter and poured in pan

to go in oven?

made salad dressing? or mayonaise

Scrambled eggs? or an omelet-cooked in the VM?

Stick around, you will learn tons here and make new friends and show

your hubby the investment was well worth it.

Velda

On 3/24/2011 5:41 AM, jaayimee wrote:

> Hello,

> in MI

>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

,I'll be happy to speak with you about the options and make some suggestions to you.  Email me back-channel (direct to pvdtlc@...), and send me info about what timezone you are in and some good times for you to talk.  I'll get back with you and we'll set up a time.

I'm having some minor surgery today--be home on Friday--so late Friday or on the weekend would work well for me.Thanks for your interest.Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...

http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM, herringtonwebb <herringtonwebb@...> wrote:

It looks like this is very technical support group. I am a parent looking to figure out what if any software would work well for my daughter. She has cerebral palsy and is learning disabled. Anything to improve her concentration and working memory would help her tremedously. I really want something I can do at home. She does an intense physical therapy that is two hours a day so time and money are both short.

Thanks,

Guest guest

We just joined too and are paerents with several adopted learning disabled kids. I have PTSD from severe childhood abuse. We are looking at buying the from the Learning Curve. it is a package that runs about $3200.00 and has good supervisory support.

Vicki

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:56 PM, herringtonwebb <herringtonwebb@...> wrote:

It looks like this is very technical support group. I am a parent looking to figure out what if any software would work well for my daughter. She has cerebral palsy and is learning disabled. Anything to improve her concentration and working memory would help her tremedously. I really want something I can do at home. She does an intense physical therapy that is two hours a day so time and money are both short.

Thanks,

Guest guest

We just joined too and are paerents with several adopted learning disabled kids. I have PTSD from severe childhood abuse. We are looking at buying the from the Learning Curve. it is a package that runs about $3200.00 and has good supervisory support.

Vicki

Thanks,

Guest guest

Hi, ,

Welcome!

Don't worry or feel intimidated by what seem like highly technical questions. Neurofeedback, like so many other things, has its own language and jargon. Most of it is easily understandable with a little effort and if things remain confusing, most people here are helpful if you just ask. Pete has created an inclusive group that includes an overlapping mix of home trainers, professional trainers, techies, etc.

This is an inclusive group, so you'll find home trainers, professional practitioners, techies, etc. here...

A good place to start is Pete Van Deusen's website, Brain-Trainer.com. On it you'll find equipment, training options, etc. And, depending upon where you are located in the world, there may be someone who can support you as you seek to learn how to provide neurofeedback for your daughter.

Tamera

Guest guest

I usually respond back-channel to people who are newbies and thinking about getting into NF at home.  Whether professional or lay users, I'm happy to help you get started, but I really do prefer to make sure it's with your eyes wide open!  Every one of us on this list can probably remember their early days when EVERYTHING seemed impossibly technical!  The nice thing about the list is that you can ask questions at your own lovel of comfort:  Someone who's having a hard time figuring out how to change a BioExplorer design to work in a specific way--or someone who is just starting their exploration--should find people here who are willing to help.

My email address and phone number are under by name at the bottom of every email, and I'm happy to set up a time when someone who is interested can explain in more detail what they are looking for, what they've been looking at, what their budget will stand, their level of comfort with computers and other technical stuff, etc.  Usually in an hour I can suggest some options that are most likely to help you move in the direction of your desired changes within your budget.  But I will also make sure that you understand what kind of commitment of time and energy is likely to be involved.

Feel free to send me an email with some times that would work for you to meet (with multiple family members or colleagues if you prefer) by phone or online.  My timezone is 1 hour later than eastern US, so when it's 8a in Miami, it's 9a here.  Whether you are in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia or wherever, if we can communicate in English or Portuguese, let me know and let's get your questions answered.

You can also go to the homepage ( ), click he Messages tab and search to see if there's anything that helps.

Pete

-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160

BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Vicki Dalia <20.vicki@...> wrote:

Vicki

Thanks,

Guest guest

I usually respond back-channel to people who are newbies and thinking about getting into NF at home.  Whether professional or lay users, I'm happy to help you get started, but I really do prefer to make sure it's with your eyes wide open!  Every one of us on this list can probably remember their early days when EVERYTHING seemed impossibly technical!  The nice thing about the list is that you can ask questions at your own lovel of comfort:  Someone who's having a hard time figuring out how to change a BioExplorer design to work in a specific way--or someone who is just starting their exploration--should find people here who are willing to help.

My email address and phone number are under by name at the bottom of every email, and I'm happy to set up a time when someone who is interested can explain in more detail what they are looking for, what they've been looking at, what their budget will stand, their level of comfort with computers and other technical stuff, etc.  Usually in an hour I can suggest some options that are most likely to help you move in the direction of your desired changes within your budget.  But I will also make sure that you understand what kind of commitment of time and energy is likely to be involved.

Feel free to send me an email with some times that would work for you to meet (with multiple family members or colleagues if you prefer) by phone or online.  My timezone is 1 hour later than eastern US, so when it's 8a in Miami, it's 9a here.  Whether you are in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia or wherever, if we can communicate in English or Portuguese, let me know and let's get your questions answered.

You can also go to the homepage ( ), click he Messages tab and search to see if there's anything that helps.

Pete

-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160

BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Vicki Dalia <20.vicki@...> wrote:

Vicki

Thanks,

Guest guest

Thanks, Caroline, and welcome! I'm probably best qualified to answer that, as I

receive and approve all the requests to join. We are NOT all from Minnesota, a

fact that surprised me greatly. Some of our most valued contributors live

out-state or even out country. I should do a survey sometime but I'll bet we

hail from at least 10 other countries and from several continents.

Since we are about LOCAL as much as any other food attribute, we therefore do

focus on this particular community. Nonetheless, everyone who is interested in

Traditional Food, the raising, the acquiring, the cooking and the eating of it,

is welcome here!

Will Winter

Guest guest

Will, thank you for making this totally clear! I am in California and

I've been making a concerted effort to limit my posting because of that.

So good to know. I enjoy reading your local news tremendously because

you are such an inspiring example of successful community. It makes me

want to visit your area some time, especially in the spring!

Gail

On 9/23/2011 10:18 AM, holisticminnesota wrote:

>

> Thanks, Caroline, and welcome! I'm probably best qualified to answer

> that, as I receive and approve all the requests to join. We are NOT

> all from Minnesota, a fact that surprised me greatly. Some of our most

> valued contributors live out-state or even out country. I should do a

> survey sometime but I'll bet we hail from at least 10 other countries

> and from several continents.

>

Guest guest

,I am also in Little Rock - did you see Dr. McCarthy at Childrens by chance? When I asked about casting, he actually told my husband to keep the little woman off the internet! I am so frustrated by our experience at ACH, but don't know where else to go. He refuses to do the MRI I would need to get my daughter seen elsewhere. New Hey everyone! My name is Gloris and my husband and I are currently stationed at the Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas. About a year and half ago our sone Dylan was dishonest wil scoiliosis with a 37.9 degree curve. The orthopedic surgeon put him in a Kalibus brace and said we would wait and see. 8 months later he followed up and did 1 xray with the brace on. Since then we tried and tried to get back in because my son grew out of his brace. Finally in September we got back in and found that his curve had progressed to a 59. The doctor said we have no other option but to do surgery and put in growing rods. My son turned 3 on Octobef 3rd and that is definitely not something that we want to just do lightly. The Doctor said if we don't then we will cutting our sons life short. When I asked questions about the risks and what exactly does the procedure entails, he told me that he would prefer to discuss it when my husband comes back from deployment. I was outraged obviously! When I left I had myself a good cry one the way home, and every day since then. But , the bright part of my day was finding this site and seeing all of your stories! It really gives me hope that my Dylan could benefit from EDF casting. It was such a blessing talking to , who has helped me put things in motion to get my son in to Shriners in South Carolina. My kids are my whole world, and I hate not being able to fix this like Mommy fixes all their other booboos. Because that is what I am supposed to do. I am hoping that Dylan will be eligible for casting even though he is already 3. He is super small though. He stands at 3 feet and weighs 24 lbs! He gets mistaken for an 18 month all the time! We also have a 5 year who has a very slight curve, like a 5, so we are just keeping our eyes on it. It seems to be something that runs in the family, my brother and I both have it, but not bad enough that anything was ever done about it. Sorry guys for my rambling. I just wanted you all to know that your stories give me hope, thank you all for sharing them. Also, since I am new at this if you have any suggestions or advice about the process or anything at all please let me know! I hope everyone has had a good weekend and stay safe tomorrow. Happy Halloween! *Mommy to Ian 5 and Dylan 3*

Guest guest

Thanks! Don't worry - I gave him the what-for after his little internet comment! :). I will keep trying for the MRI referral. Unfortunately, this guy seems to be some sort of a surgical legend and no doc wants to go against him. It makes me crazy! New Hey everyone! My name is Gloris and my husband and I are currently stationed at the Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas. About a year and half ago our sone Dylan was dishonest wil scoiliosis with a 37.9 degree curve. The orthopedic surgeon put him in a Kalibus brace and said we would wait and see. 8 months later he followed up and did 1 xray with the brace on. Since then we tried and tried to get back in because my son grew out of his brace. Finally in September we got back in and found that his curve had progressed to a 59. The doctor said we have no other option but to do surgery and put in growing rods. My son turned 3 on Octobef 3rd and that is definitely not something that we want to just do lightly. The Doctor said if we don't then we will cutting our sons life short. When I asked questions about the risks and what exactly does the procedure entails, he told me that he would prefer to discuss it when my husband comes back from deployment. I was outraged obviously! When I left I had myself a good cry one the way home, and every day since then. But , the bright part of my day was finding this site and seeing all of your stories! It really gives me hope that my Dylan could benefit from EDF casting. It was such a blessing talking to , who has helped me put things in motion to get my son in to Shriners in South Carolina. My kids are my whole world, and I hate not being able to fix this like Mommy fixes all their other booboos. Because that is what I am supposed to do. I am hoping that Dylan will be eligible for casting even though he is already 3. He is super small though. He stands at 3 feet and weighs 24 lbs! He gets mistaken for an 18 month all the time! We also have a 5 year who has a very slight curve, like a 5, so we are just keeping our eyes on it. It seems to be something that runs in the family, my brother and I both have it, but not bad enough that anything was ever done about it. Sorry guys for my rambling. I just wanted you all to know that your stories give me hope, thank you all for sharing them. Also, since I am new at this if you have any suggestions or advice about the process or anything at all please let me know! I hope everyone has had a good weekend and stay safe tomorrow. Happy Halloween! *Mommy to Ian 5 and Dylan 3*

Guest guest

The first orthopedic surgeon (and the only one without taking an expensive ferry

or plane ride to the mainland) also put my son in one brace for nine months (he

outgrew it in a couple of weeks and I could not get it on him after that) and

said a lot of the same sort of things etc.

To this day I still spend a lot of time listening to people rave about how

brilliant he is (including other orthopedic surgeons) and how I should really

take his advice seriously. In the end I had a family physician do two referrals

to two other orthopedic surgeons. To be fair, the ortho surgeon my son was

seeing caught wind of this and to save face ALSO then all on his own accord did

referrals to one of the other surgeons for me and another mom with a daughter

the same age as my son with the same curve, size and all. But I am sure the GPs

referral was plenty, I do know we got in faster though because the orthopedic

surgeon pulled some strings in the end.

I don't believe you need a referral for the shriner's, but some good solid

information for them, but a referral helps. The orthopedic surgeon my son now

sees we never had a referral to, I sent him a letter with all the rest of the

info the application asked for.

The other two surgeons did not work out. So it was the fourth surgeon we tried

that ended up casting our son and saving his life -- keep up the good work, and

I am sorry you have had to deal with that kind of ridiculous sexism.

Sorry for the long note. Brevity seems to baffle me and continue to escape me.

Shauna

Kelsey, Kieran, and 's mom

> >

> > >,

> > >

> > >I am also in Little Rock - did you see Dr. McCarthy at Childrens by chance?

When I asked about casting, he actually told my husband to keep the little woman

off the internet! I am so frustrated by our experience at ACH, but don't know

where else to go. He refuses to do the MRI I would need to get my daughter seen

elsewhere.

> > >

> > > New

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >Hey everyone! My name is Gloris and my husband and I are currently

stationed at the Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas. About a year and half

ago our sone Dylan was dishonest wil scoiliosis with a 37.9 degree curve. The

orthopedic surgeon put him in a Kalibus brace and said we would wait and see. 8

months later he followed up and did 1 xray with the brace on. Since then we

tried and tried to get back in because my son grew out of his brace. Finally in

September we got back in and found that his curve had progressed to a 59. The

doctor said we have no other option but to do surgery and put in growing rods.

My son turned 3 on Octobef 3rd and that is definitely not something that we want

to just do lightly. The Doctor said if we don't then we will cutting our sons

life short. When I asked questions about the risks and what exactly does the

procedure entails, he told me that he would prefer to discuss it when my husband

comes back from deployment. I was outraged obviously! When I left I had myself a

good cry one the way home, and every day since then. But , the bright part of my

day was finding this site and seeing all of your stories! It really gives me

hope that my Dylan could benefit from EDF casting. It was such a blessing

talking to , who has helped me put things in motion to get my son in to

Shriners in South Carolina. My kids are my whole world, and I hate not being

able to fix this like Mommy fixes all their other booboos. Because that is what

I am supposed to do. I am hoping that Dylan will be eligible for casting even

though he is already 3. He is super small though. He stands at 3 feet and weighs

24 lbs! He gets mistaken for an 18 month all the time! We also have a 5 year who

has a very slight curve, like a 5, so we are just keeping our eyes on it. It

seems to be something that runs in the family, my brother and I both have it,

but not bad enough that anything was ever done about it. Sorry guys for my

rambling. I just wanted you all to know that your stories give me hope, thank

you all for sharing them. Also, since I am new at this if you have any

suggestions or advice about the process or anything at all please let me know! I

hope everyone has had a good weekend and stay safe tomorrow. Happy Halloween!

> > >

> > > *Mommy to Ian 5 and Dylan 3*

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Some Shriner's hospitals you can even call and may be able to get the ball

rolling even faster that way. I tried that myself, but was unable to because I

don't live in the USA. Had I, the nice lady who answered their patient referral

line for the hospital I called would have taken all the information, added my

son to the system and we would have started the process of getting him seen. If

I had had the care coordinators number, and not just the patient referral number

I may have been able to get the ball rolling even faster. Just little tricks

that one learns over time sometimes :)

from the Shriner's website

Greenville, SC

950 West Faris Rd.

Greenville, SC 29605

864-271-3444

and the entire shriner's network patient referral line -- 800-237-5055...lines

are staffed weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.

applications are available at

http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/ReferAPatient.aspx

and elsewhere I am sure.

know we will shortly be hearing wonderful news about Dylan's first cast, if you

decide this is what's best for your son, whom you know better than anyone else.

Shauna

Kelsey, Kieran, and 's mom

> > >

> > > >,

> > > >

> > > >I am also in Little Rock - did you see Dr. McCarthy at Childrens by

chance? When I asked about casting, he actually told my husband to keep the

little woman off the internet! I am so frustrated by our experience at ACH, but

don't know where else to go. He refuses to do the MRI I would need to get my

daughter seen elsewhere.

> > > >

> > > > New

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >Hey everyone! My name is Gloris and my husband and I are currently

stationed at the Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas. About a year and half

ago our sone Dylan was dishonest wil scoiliosis with a 37.9 degree curve. The

orthopedic surgeon put him in a Kalibus brace and said we would wait and see. 8

months later he followed up and did 1 xray with the brace on. Since then we

tried and tried to get back in because my son grew out of his brace. Finally in

September we got back in and found that his curve had progressed to a 59. The

doctor said we have no other option but to do surgery and put in growing rods.

My son turned 3 on Octobef 3rd and that is definitely not something that we want

to just do lightly. The Doctor said if we don't then we will cutting our sons

life short. When I asked questions about the risks and what exactly does the

procedure entails, he told me that he would prefer to discuss it when my husband

comes back from deployment. I was outraged obviously! When I left I had myself a

good cry one the way home, and every day since then. But , the bright part of my

day was finding this site and seeing all of your stories! It really gives me

hope that my Dylan could benefit from EDF casting. It was such a blessing

talking to , who has helped me put things in motion to get my son in to

Shriners in South Carolina. My kids are my whole world, and I hate not being

able to fix this like Mommy fixes all their other booboos. Because that is what

I am supposed to do. I am hoping that Dylan will be eligible for casting even

though he is already 3. He is super small though. He stands at 3 feet and weighs

24 lbs! He gets mistaken for an 18 month all the time! We also have a 5 year who

has a very slight curve, like a 5, so we are just keeping our eyes on it. It

seems to be something that runs in the family, my brother and I both have it,

but not bad enough that anything was ever done about it. Sorry guys for my

rambling. I just wanted you all to know that your stories give me hope, thank

you all for sharing them. Also, since I am new at this if you have any

suggestions or advice about the process or anything at all please let me know! I

hope everyone has had a good weekend and stay safe tomorrow. Happy Halloween!

> > > >

> > > > *Mommy to Ian 5 and Dylan 3*

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi,

My name is and I'm working on getting from 243 to 135 pounds. I just

barely fit in here, but my goal is bigger than most people's in the other weight

loss groups I've joined. So I thought I'd join here and get support from other

people with big goals.

I've been trying a lot of different things since my heaviest in 2010. I was

very depressed because I'd never been that heavy. Then I decided I had to do

something about it. So I've tried a bunch of different things, just keep losing

interest and stop losing weight. I've been yo-yoing between 210 and 235 since I

decided it was time to do something. At least the first eight pounds stayed

off, but I still have over a hundred to go that I just can't seem to keep off.

I need to stay focused, and would really appreciate help from you folks!

Exercise has not worked well for me because I have many physical disabilities

that aren't all tied to my weight. I have a hereditary neuropathy that made my

feet go bad. Between that and my weight problem, I can't even go for a walk

around the block without a lot of pain. Stationary bicycling works, but I don't

have room for one in my dorm (I'm in college) and I hate the gym with a passion.

Currently trying Weight Watchers Online and really hoping that will work better.

So far, so good. 3 pounds down since joining.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

-

Guest guest

Welcome to the group .... you very much fit in here, glad you found us :-)

New

Hi,

My name is and I'm working on getting from 243 to 135 pounds. I just barely fit in here, but my goal is bigger than most people's in the other weight loss groups I've joined. So I thought I'd join here and get support from other people with big goals.

I've been trying a lot of different things since my heaviest in 2010. I was very depressed because I'd never been that heavy. Then I decided I had to do something about it. So I've tried a bunch of different things, just keep losing interest and stop losing weight. I've been yo-yoing between 210 and 235 since I decided it was time to do something. At least the first eight pounds stayed off, but I still have over a hundred to go that I just can't seem to keep off. I need to stay focused, and would really appreciate help from you folks!

Exercise has not worked well for me because I have many physical disabilities that aren't all tied to my weight. I have a hereditary neuropathy that made my feet go bad. Between that and my weight problem, I can't even go for a walk around the block without a lot of pain. Stationary bicycling works, but I don't have room for one in my dorm (I'm in college) and I hate the gym with a passion. Currently trying Weight Watchers Online and really hoping that will work better. So far, so good. 3 pounds down since joining.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

-