RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New to the group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You don't need to apologize for anything! It didn't upset me -- I think we were just trying to clarify something that sounded odd to us. No worries!! :)

Re: New to the Group

In a message dated 3/28/2005 3:27:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, Donna@... writes:

Routine is calming to ASD kids. Maybe what the speaker was trying to explain was that letting them have each and every thing on their schedule was bad, but she didn't explain it fully. It's okay to try to stretch things to an extent, but they rely on routine and structure to function, and too much deviation takes away the little control they feel they have.Donna

I understand that part of it Donna, and I think they feel safer with a schedule. She just tried to emphasize driving a totally different route to the store or wherever you go regularly. I believe the whole seminar was geared towards high functioning AS children who will one day be in the work force. They need to learn to adapt ASAP to change. That is the point the speaker was trying to make. Sorry if my relaying her topic upset everyone. My apologies.

Geriwife to mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°As for me and my house, we will serve the LordAdoptiveParentsSupport/

Guest guest

My son at a younger age chewed the front of his shirt and his sleeves, He went through alot of shirts. He doesn't do it anymore. He did it when he was about 5 years old and did it for about two years. Thank God he got out of that. designs <scottdesigns@...> wrote:

Geri,

My son has finally stopped chewing his clothing but for a while (like a few years) every new shirt I bought had holes in it within 2 days. He does it occasionally now but only if there is nothing else available.

School was concerned that he was going to ingest metal and erasers from the tops of the pencils so they put chewy tubing on the top of all his pencils. This was a great idea and has helped allot! I need to buy some for home too because to looks like a wild animal has attacked all of our pencils and pens here too!

He has also chewed up every tv remote in the playroom. I had to take them away and stop letting him control the channels. I can't even describe what all the remotes look like, including the PS2 remote!

-Charlotte

In a message dated 3/28/2005 7:41:12 P.M. Central Standard Time, scottdesigns@... writes:

If he is on a couch he will tend to rock his body if he is sitting but if he's lying down or can't rock himself for some reason he will chew ANYTHING that is in his hand.....heck sometimes he does both! Or if their is nothing to chew he flaps his hands or wiggles his fingers.

-Charlotte

Charlotte,

you have described my ds. His PARA often gets upset because he chews pencils, erasers, his shirt, the collar on his jacket, the corner of his reader, his ruler, or fingers. Drives her nuts! We need to put into his IEP that it is a coping tool for him so she can't scold him and cancel his recess for it.

Geriwife to mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°As for me and my house, we will serve the LordAdoptiveParentsSupport/

Guest guest

Have you ever tried giving him zinc supplements? When my son used to

chew on things such as his shirt or wood, I posted it on another

group and was overwhelmed by how many responded that it was a zinc

deficiency. I had struggled with this behaviour daily for over a

year but after 2 days of zinc it was gone completely. Periodically I

forget to give him his zinc for a few days and the biting returns.

It can't hurt to try.

>

> Charlotte,

> you have described my ds. His PARA often gets upset because he

chews

> pencils, erasers, his shirt, the collar on his jacket, the corner

of his reader, his

> ruler, or fingers. Drives her nuts! We need to put into his IEP

that it is a

> coping tool for him so she can't scold him and cancel his recess

for it.

>

> Geri

> wife to

> mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail

>

>

> ¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___

> ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\

> ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l

> ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

>

> _AdoptiveParentsSupport/_

> (AdoptiveParentsSupport/)

Guest guest

Yup, he's been on zinc for 8 months :)

-Charlotte

Have you ever tried giving him zinc supplements? When my son used to chew on things such as his shirt or wood, I posted it on another group and was overwhelmed by how many responded that it was a zinc deficiency. I had struggled with this behaviour daily for over a year but after 2 days of zinc it was gone completely. Periodically I forget to give him his zinc for a few days and the biting returns. It can't hurt to try.> > Charlotte,> you have described my ds. His PARA often gets upset because he chews > pencils, erasers, his shirt, the collar on his jacket, the corner of his reader, his > ruler, or fingers. Drives her nuts! We need to put into his IEP that it is a > coping tool for him so she can't scold him and cancel his recess for it.> > Geri> wife to > mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail> > > ¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___> ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\> ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l> ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> > _AdoptiveParentsSupport/_ > (AdoptiveParentsSupport/)

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/29/2005 9:58:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, scottdesigns@... writes:

Geri,

My son has finally stopped chewing his clothing but for a while (like a few years) every new shirt I bought had holes in it within 2 days. He does it occasionally now but only if there is nothing else available.

School was concerned that he was going to ingest metal and erasers from the tops of the pencils so they put chewy tubing on the top of all his pencils. This was a great idea and has helped allot! I need to buy some for home too because to looks like a wild animal has attacked all of our pencils and pens here too!

He has also chewed up every tv remote in the playroom. I had to take them away and stop letting him control the channels. I can't even describe what all the remotes look like, including the PS2 remote!

-Charlotte

I could just imagine (LOL). Our son loves to chew also.

We have had some issues with chewing things that could make him sick or he could accidentally swallow. I hope and pray he will soon get it.

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/29/2005 10:05:13 A.M. Central Standard Time, Donna@... writes:

You don't need to apologize for anything! It didn't upset me -- I think we were just trying to clarify something that sounded odd to us. No worries!! :)

thank you Donna :-)

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/29/2005 6:55:49 P.M. Central Standard Time, shell.belle@... writes:

My son at a younger age chewed the front of his shirt and his sleeves, He went through alot of shirts. He doesn't do it anymore. He did it when he was about 5 years old and did it for about two years. Thank God he got out of that.

I think my putting Logan to work doing chores to pay for his new shirts has helped him understand that it is not a 'good' behavior to have.

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/29/2005 6:49:08 P.M. Central Standard Time, cubicmonica@... writes:

Have you ever tried giving him zinc supplements? When my son used to chew on things such as his shirt or wood, I posted it on another group and was overwhelmed by how many responded that it was a zinc deficiency. I had struggled with this behaviour daily for over a year but after 2 days of zinc it was gone completely. Periodically I forget to give him his zinc for a few days and the biting returns. It can't hurt to try.

I will try the Zinc and see what happens. Will have to buy it tomorrow when shopping. I will post the results in a week or two. Thanks so much. I really appreciate all the information and suggestions. :-)

Guest guest

My son goes through phases of chewing his shirts -- he'll soak the neckline so badly that he has to take it off because he hates any wetness of his clothes. (He'll wash his hands after doing anything messy, but if he gets water on his sleeve, the shirt has to come off.)

I ended up buying him a chewlry clip-on tubey thing...he likes chewing on the stretchy curly cord rather than the tube, but whatever works! I was going through laundry soooo quickly, and he has a lot of clothes.

My son at a younger age chewed the front of his shirt and his sleeves, He went through alot of shirts. He doesn't do it anymore. He did it when he was about 5 years old and did it for about two years. Thank God he got out of that. designs <scottdesigns@...> wrote:

Geri,

-Charlotte

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/30/2005 4:41:24 P.M. Central Standard Time, Donna@... writes:

My son goes through phases of chewing his shirts -- he'll soak the neckline so badly that he has to take it off because he hates any wetness of his clothes. (He'll wash his hands after doing anything messy, but if he gets water on his sleeve, the shirt has to come off.)

I ended up buying him a chewlry clip-on tubey thing...he likes chewing on the stretchy curly cord rather than the tube, but whatever works! I was going through laundry soooo quickly, and he has a lot of clothes.

Donna,

we tried our ds on gum, candy chews, baby teething rings and all kinds of things. I ran out of ideas and I am going to try the Zinc one. I sure hope it works. (crossing my fingers and saying a prayer)

Guest guest

Charlotte,

Have you seen those rubber bands? There huge and you put them on the legs of your chair. The kids can kick the bands. It helps them not rock or tip chairs. Heard about it from an OT. I think you can by them from an exercise store where they sell pilates stuff. I also heard of using those large exercise balls as a chair, it helps with the sensory issues.

We haven't tried any of this stuff yet but we are going to an OT soon.

Janedesigns <scottdesigns@...> wrote:

My son rocks but takes the chair with him!! He can NOT sit in a chair without tipping it forward and back. I have to get him a rocking chair otherwise he will destroy any chair he sits in!! Problem is that the rocking chair we have is not padded it's hardwood so he won't use it. I need to buy really soft cushions for it first.

If he is on a couch he will tend to rock his body if he is sitting but if he's lying down or can't rock himself for some reason he will chew ANYTHING that is in his hand.....heck sometimes he does both! Or if their is nothing to chew he flaps his hands or wiggles his fingers.

-Charlotte

My son does not rock but he does pace alot. He also goes through crying jags or tantrums when he doesn't get his way. I wish some of you guys lived close by me so we could get together. But I'm glad I have you guys to open up to. Thanks!! Geris5@... wrote:

In a message dated 3/26/2005 4:50:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, shell.belle@... writes:

Welcome to the group Geri! My oldest son who is 13 has AS and was diagnosed with it at age 11. Your description of him is pretty close to a description of my son. Except my son has no friends at school. But he does the hand flapping alot, and he can be pretty agumentive. He's all around though a good kid and doesn't get in trouble at school or anything. The problems are more at home. I am just concerned about his socializing skills. I am also fairly new to the group too, and really enjoy it here, these women are such a help to me, and an inspiration! Hope all goes well with your son and glad you have joined us.

Thanks for the warm welcome. My Logan is pretty argumentative to. His PARA says he argues with her constantly about everything. I have a better handle on him so he doesn't do that with me. He never did it with the PARA he had for the previous 3 years either. He would argue if there wasn't even a point to be made. Part of his disorder I guess. Does your son do the rocking to? Logan rocks and does it so stiffly.

Guest guest

Jane...rofl ! I can just SEE on one of those balls....hopping around the classroom! NOT the best fit for him I don't think lol!

However, I am interested in those rubber bands and I will ask the OT next month (I guess that's tomorrow lol) about them! If you have a link to someplace that has them it would be great if you could forward it...thanks!

-Charlotte

My son does not rock but he does pace alot. He also goes through crying jags or tantrums when he doesn't get his way. I wish some of you guys lived close by me so we could get together. But I'm glad I have you guys to open up to. Thanks!! Geris5@... wrote:

In a message dated 3/26/2005 4:50:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, shell.belle@... writes:

Welcome to the group Geri! My oldest son who is 13 has AS and was diagnosed with it at age 11. Your description of him is pretty close to a description of my son. Except my son has no friends at school. But he does the hand flapping alot, and he can be pretty agumentive. He's all around though a good kid and doesn't get in trouble at school or anything. The problems are more at home. I am just concerned about his socializing skills. I am also fairly new to the group too, and really enjoy it here, these women are such a help to me, and an inspiration! Hope all goes well with your son and glad you have joined us.

Thanks for the warm welcome. My Logan is pretty argumentative to. His PARA says he argues with her constantly about everything. I have a better handle on him so he doesn't do that with me. He never did it with the PARA he had for the previous 3 years either. He would argue if there wasn't even a point to be made. Part of his disorder I guess. Does your son do the rocking to? Logan rocks and does it so stiffly.

Guest guest

Hey, have you seen the inflatable seat cushions that do the same job

as using a ball as a chair would, without the fear that your kid will

be litterally boucing off his seat (or as in Jack's case, rolling

right off and onto the floor - the image of which is giving me the

giggles right now!)

There is one I have seen that is a wedge shape and I have also seen

one that is a disc.

Try Southpaw Enterprises and Abilitations catalogues.

Anne, Mom to Jack, 7.6, AS, DSI, ADD

> In a message dated 3/26/2005 4:50:53 P.M. Central Standard

Time, shell.belle@s... writes:

> Welcome to the group Geri! My oldest son who is 13 has

AS and was diagnosed with it at age 11. Your description of him is

pretty close to a description of my son. Except my son has no

friends at school. But he does the hand flapping alot, and he can be

pretty agumentive. He's all around though a good kid and doesn't get

in trouble at school or anything. The problems are more at home. I

am just concerned about his socializing skills. I am also fairly new

to the group too, and really enjoy it here, these women are such a

help to me, and an inspiration! Hope all goes well with your son and

glad you have joined us.

>

>

> ,

> Thanks for the warm welcome. My Logan is pretty

argumentative to. His PARA says he argues with her constantly about

everything. I have a better handle on him so he doesn't do that with

me. He never did it with the PARA he had for the previous 3 years

either. He would argue if there wasn't even a point to be made. Part

of his disorder I guess. Does your son do the rocking to? Logan rocks

and does it so stiffly.

>

> Geri

> wife to

> mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail

>

> ¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___

> ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\

> ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l

> ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

>

> AdoptiveParentsSupport/

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

Guest guest

Thanks Anne, I will check it out if I ever stop laughing at the image of rolling onto the floor too!

Hey, have you seen the inflatable seat cushions that do the same job as using a ball as a chair would, without the fear that your kid will be litterally boucing off his seat (or as in Jack's case, rolling right off and onto the floor - the image of which is giving me the giggles right now!)There is one I have seen that is a wedge shape and I have also seen one that is a disc.Try Southpaw Enterprises and Abilitations catalogues.Anne, Mom to Jack, 7.6, AS, DSI, ADD > In a message dated 3/26/2005 4:50:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, shell.belle@s... writes:> Welcome to the group Geri! My oldest son who is 13 has AS and was diagnosed with it at age 11. Your description of him is pretty close to a description of my son. Except my son has no friends at school. But he does the hand flapping alot, and he can be pretty agumentive. He's all around though a good kid and doesn't get in trouble at school or anything. The problems are more at home. I am just concerned about his socializing skills. I am also fairly new to the group too, and really enjoy it here, these women are such a help to me, and an inspiration! Hope all goes well with your son and glad you have joined us. > > **************************************************************************> ,> Thanks for the warm welcome. My Logan is pretty argumentative to. His PARA says he argues with her constantly about everything. I have a better handle on him so he doesn't do that with me. He never did it with the PARA he had for the previous 3 years either. He would argue if there wasn't even a point to be made. Part of his disorder I guess. Does your son do the rocking to? Logan rocks and does it so stiffly. > > Geri> wife to > mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail> > ¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___> ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\> ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l> ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> > AdoptiveParentsSupport/> > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Guest guest

Charolette-

I bought those rubber band things today at WALMART in the exercising department. They come in a package of three for $9.99 and each one is a different resistance. It looked like they were with the pilate stuff. We had soooo much fun with them today. I held two ends while Caleb had it around the front of his stomach and pulled like a horse. He pulled and pulled and pulled until the band made him bounce back to me, it was hysterical! We have him stretch with them and play tug of war. I think this is part of his sensory diet. New lingo to me but it is helping tremendously! We have been having him jump on his mattress on the floor every hour for 15 minutes while throwing bean bags at him to catch.

We also bought two weighted balls in the exercise department there. They are 5 lbs each, soft and rubbery. My oldest son throws shotput on track so we told Caleb they were his own "shots". He has been throwing them and catching them all day. He actually sat at the dinner table for the entire meal tonight!!! His legs straddled the chair for balance but he ate! Then he said, "mommy, I am going to bed, can you come cuddle with me when you're done." and went to bed and fell asleep.

I haven't tied one to the bottom rungs of my chairs yet so I don't know exactly how to do it. We did tie one together for stretching.

Anyway, wanted to tell you where I found the elastic band things. Funny thing is when I brought them home my teenager tells me he has one. When he broke his leg last year his physical therapest gave him one to re- strengthen his leg muscles. So we added his to our collection!

Good luck,

Janedesigns <scottdesigns@...> wrote:

Thanks Anne, I will check it out if I ever stop laughing at the image of rolling onto the floor too!

Hey, have you seen the inflatable seat cushions that do the same job as using a ball as a chair would, without the fear that your kid will be litterally boucing off his seat (or as in Jack's case, rolling right off and onto the floor - the image of which is giving me the giggles right now!)There is one I have seen that is a wedge shape and I have also seen one that is a disc.Try Southpaw Enterprises and Abilitations catalogues.Anne, Mom to Jack, 7.6, AS, DSI, ADD > In a message dated 3/26/2005 4:50:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, shell.belle@s... writes:> Welcome to the group Geri! My oldest son who is 13 has AS and was diagnosed with it at age

11. Your description of him is pretty close to a description of my son. Except my son has no friends at school. But he does the hand flapping alot, and he can be pretty agumentive. He's all around though a good kid and doesn't get in trouble at school or anything. The problems are more at home. I am just concerned about his socializing skills. I am also fairly new to the group too, and really enjoy it here, these women are such a help to me, and an inspiration! Hope all goes well with your son and glad you have joined us. > > **************************************************************************> ,> Thanks for the warm welcome. My Logan is pretty argumentative to. His PARA says he argues with her constantly about

everything. I have a better handle on him so he doesn't do that with me. He never did it with the PARA he had for the previous 3 years either. He would argue if there wasn't even a point to be made. Part of his disorder I guess. Does your son do the rocking to? Logan rocks and does it so stiffly. > > Geri> wife to > mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail> > ¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___> ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\> ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l> ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°> As for me and my house, we will serve

the Lord> > AdoptiveParentsSupport/> > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Guest guest

Thanks Jane!! I was just there today...willing to go back tomorrow. I just picked up those foam square that connect together like a puzzle for under his chair in the playroom because we have hardwood floors and not only was he destroying them rocking in the chair but I was also always afraid the legs would slip out and he'd hit the floor!

-Charlotte

Hey, have you seen the inflatable seat cushions that do the same job as using a ball as a chair would, without the fear that your kid will be litterally boucing off his seat (or as in Jack's case, rolling right off and onto the floor - the image of which is giving me the giggles right now!)There is one I have seen that is a wedge shape and I have also seen one that is a disc.Try Southpaw Enterprises and Abilitations catalogues.Anne, Mom to Jack, 7.6, AS, DSI, ADD > In a message dated 3/26/2005 4:50:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, shell.belle@s... writes:> Welcome to the group Geri! My oldest son who is 13 has AS and was diagnosed with it at age 11. Your description of him is pretty close to a description of my son. Except my son has no friends at school. But he does the hand flapping alot, and he can be pretty agumentive. He's all around though a good kid and doesn't get in trouble at school or anything. The problems are more at home. I am just concerned about his socializing skills. I am also fairly new to the group too, and really enjoy it here, these women are such a help to me, and an inspiration! Hope all goes well with your son and glad you have joined us. > > **************************************************************************> ,> Thanks for the warm welcome. My Logan is pretty argumentative to. His PARA says he argues with her constantly about everything. I have a better handle on him so he doesn't do that with me. He never did it with the PARA he had for the previous 3 years either. He would argue if there wasn't even a point to be made. Part of his disorder I guess. Does your son do the rocking to? Logan rocks and does it so stiffly. > > Geri> wife to > mom to Logan, Krista, and Abigail> > ¸...¸ ___/ /\ \___> ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ \__\> ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l> ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°> As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord> > AdoptiveParentsSupport/> > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Guest guest

Emlyn,

I'd be surprised if Dr Heard is booked until next year. I know he likes his holidays, but apart from these it's usually possible to get an appointment with him in about 3-4 weeks. If necessary it can be by telephone, and whilst it is always a good idea to bring your child on the first visit, it's also important to be able to concentrate AND write down exactly what Dr Heard is suggesting - this may mean not bringing your child or bringing someone else to look after him whilst you're talking with Dr Heard.

I may have mentioned in a previous message that Dr Buttar, who is in North Carolina, US, is only taking appts from next year, and I believe that Anju Usman in Chicago, who alot of other listmates are seeing, is also booked for 6 months+ (Please correct me someone if I'm wrong).

For what its worth, I think you should start by seeing/speaking with Dr Heard, he's caring and knowledgeable, and he's as close to a top DAN doctor this country has, and he's not that expensive either. The Breakspear hospital can send you all the test kits you need by post for urine, stools, hair, and can draw the blood you need at your visit to Dr Heard, as long as you have a morning or very early p.m. appointment, which is before the couriers go the TDL. If you call up the Breakspear to book an appointment, you could even ask to speak to Dr Heard for 10 minutes to get a list of the diagnostic tests to undertake before your appointment. If you can't get a hold of him for this, but still want some quick tests done, I'd be very surprised if he didn't ask for the following.

Stools CDSA - comprehensive stool analysis and parisitology

Urine Toxic and Essential Elements

Urine Organic Acid Test

Hair Elements

You could also do Fecal Metals, but this is really for checking chelation is doing something if/when you start that.

The other tests will probably require bloods to be drawn, but could be done local to you and sent direct to TDL (The Doctors Laboratory) or Biolab. Again Breakspear might be able to help you there as they have prearranged rates with them.

Standard blood analysis

EFAs

RBC Minerals

etc

Anyone else ... Have I missed anything??

Good luck,

Mikael

PS. The books to read are:

J McCandless- Children with Starving Brains - Amazon.co.uk

Pangborn & Baker - Autism: Effective Biomedical Treatments 2005 Edn - available on Autism Research Institute which links to their Amazon.com web shop - this one came from America.

DAN Conference Proceedings - also via the Amazon.com webshop. We have the Fall 2004 presentations, and these were very good, but will no doubt very soon be succeeded by the Boston April 2005 proceedings.

If you haven't done so already I would recommend that you go onto the www.danwebcast.com and watch the presentations there.

Kirby - Evidence of harm could be a good read but is not so biomed treatment focussed.

New to the group

Hello everyone,I'm new to this group and have been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now trying to get as much information as I can, it's all a bit overwhelming. I'm very impressed by the people out there doing all the medical work on their own but I'm not sure that we could do it, we're desperate to find a good doctor who could really help us, I see Dr. Heard isn't taking new appointments until next year which just seems too far away. What I'd like more than anything right now is a good set of tests to see where our problems lie.Our little boy will be 4 this month, we do gf/cf and the basic suppliments at the moment plus oral MB12.We live up near Edinburgh and would be prepared to travel, could anyone suggest who we could see and what we should be reading.Emlyn

Guest guest

Emelyn,

I was due to phone Breakspeare to make a follow up appointment for

my son. I've just doen it and I also asked about a waiting list for

new patients and they don't have one. If you phone, you'll get an

appointment. I know they have slots on Tuesday 28th June in the

afternoon. Dr Heard is available Tuesday, Wednesday And Thursday, so

I'd go for amorning appointment on a Tuesday or Wednesday if you

can (best tiems for blood tests).

In addition to Mikael's list of reading , I'd add Hall

Cutler's book you can get it from :http//www.noamalgam.com/.

In terms of tests, I'd add a Thyroid panel. I'd also recommend

autoimmune and serum B-vitamin tests. If you're seeing Dr.Heard,

he'll talk you through it all.

Regards,

Stuart

> Hello everyone,

>

> I'm new to this group and have been reading the posts for a couple

of

> weeks now trying to get as much information as I can, it's all a

bit

> overwhelming. I'm very impressed by the people out there doing all

the

> medical work on their own but I'm not sure that we could do it,

we're

> desperate to find a good doctor who could really help us, I see

Dr.

> Heard isn't taking new appointments until next year which just

seems

> too far away. What I'd like more than anything right now is a

good

> set of tests to see where our problems lie.

> Our little boy will be 4 this month, we do gf/cf and the basic

> suppliments at the moment plus oral MB12.

> We live up near Edinburgh and would be prepared to travel, could

> anyone suggest who we could see and what we should be reading.

>

> Emlyn

Guest guest

Emelyn,

I checked this morning when I booked a follow up with Dr.Heard. If

you call, you'll get an appointment. I know he has slots available

in late june early July.

Not sure if my earlier response got through - @**!!$$ Microsoft.

Stuart

> Hello everyone,

>

> I'm new to this group and have been reading the posts for a couple

of

> weeks now trying to get as much information as I can, it's all a

bit

> overwhelming. I'm very impressed by the people out there doing all

the

> medical work on their own but I'm not sure that we could do it,

we're

> desperate to find a good doctor who could really help us, I see

Dr.

> Heard isn't taking new appointments until next year which just

seems

> too far away. What I'd like more than anything right now is a

good

> set of tests to see where our problems lie.

> Our little boy will be 4 this month, we do gf/cf and the basic

> suppliments at the moment plus oral MB12.

> We live up near Edinburgh and would be prepared to travel, could

> anyone suggest who we could see and what we should be reading.

>

> Emlyn

Guest guest

Tia welcome. I have a 10 yr old daughter who was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and a

37 yr old husband who was just diagnosed 4-5 yrs ago. Both have problems

with antibody function and low immune system. Has your daughter been tested

for kidney reflux? When a child has so many UTI's it could be because her

ureters from her kidneys are not emptying right into her bladder. Just a

thought. Her recent admission is unfortunate. Is there a pediatric

immunologist in your area? Infectious Disease doctors are fine (in fact an

ID doc was the first to diagnose my husband, but then he referred him to an

immunologist). Is there any history of deficiency in your family? Has she

had the Synergis shots for RSV? There is an immune deficiency called

Transient Hypogammaglobulinemia of Infancy which is where infants to toddler

age children have a slow maturing immune system and will grow out of the

problem. Most system fully mature between 4 and 6 yrs old. Now saying that

my daughter was diagnosed at 2 but there were was extensive testing done and

she already had lung scarring and other issues. Now that her father has

been diagnosed we pretty much know that she was probably born with this and

waiting 2 yrs cost her some lung function and developmental milestones. I

hope your referral is soon and they can reassure you. This won't be a quick

diagnosis. It will take some testing and some time but you want it to be

thorough and accurate.

Ursula Holleman

mom to (12 yrs old) and Macey (10 yr. old with CVID, Diabetes

Insipidus, colonic inertia)

http://members.cox.net/maceyh

Immune Deficiency Foundation - Peer Contact for GA

http://www.primaryimmune.org

IDF Patient/Family Handbook

http://www.primaryimmune.org/pubs/book_pats/book_pats.htm

/

Guest guest

Hello Ursula

They sent my daughter for a ultrasound on the kidneys and a VCUG which was a

whirlwind. They were talking about that since she was 4 months old but waiting

and did it when she was almost 1. And it was a fight. It probably would have

been easier to do it on a 4 month old. My nephew I just found out he had

problems with his Immune System but grew out of it. He is now 21 and healthy as

ever. No she did not get anything for the RSV they just sent her home with a

antibiotic. Thats all they do is send her home with Meds. I dont know if there

is a immunologist near by since my daughter is also on a state health insurance

I have to go by their means and timing not mine and my daughters. They only let

you do so much. I just found out that they are not paying for her recent stay in

the hospital. Who knows why?

Thank you for your insight and I will keep you updated. Tia

Tia welcome. I have a 10 yr old daughter who was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and a

37 yr old husband who was just diagnosed 4-5 yrs ago. Both have problems

with antibody function and low immune system. Has your daughter been tested

for kidney reflux? When a child has so many UTI's it could be because her

ureters from her kidneys are not emptying right into her bladder. Just a

thought. Her recent admission is unfortunate. Is there a pediatric

immunologist in your area? Infectious Disease doctors are fine (in fact an

ID doc was the first to diagnose my husband, but then he referred him to an

immunologist). Is there any history of deficiency in your family? Has she

had the Synergis shots for RSV? There is an immune deficiency called

Transient Hypogammaglobulinemia of Infancy which is where infants to toddler

age children have a slow maturing immune system and will grow out of the

problem. Most system fully mature between 4 and 6 yrs old. Now saying that

my daughter was diagnosed at 2 but there were was extensive testing done and

she already had lung scarring and other issues. Now that her father has

been diagnosed we pretty much know that she was probably born with this and

waiting 2 yrs cost her some lung function and developmental milestones. I

hope your referral is soon and they can reassure you. This won't be a quick

diagnosis. It will take some testing and some time but you want it to be

thorough and accurate.

Ursula Holleman

Trust until given a reason not to.

Guest guest

Tia,

Welcome to the group. I am not as knowledgeable as most in this group, but

just wanted to let you know I understand how you feel guilty about Cheyann

being sick all of the time. I felt really bad when my son was sick ALL of the

time the first year of his life. Everyone thought I was over reacting including

my husband, mother, in-laws. pediatrician, etc etc. As a mother, I think

we feel that it is our responsiblity to keep our babies well and when they are

sick I think we feel as if we are failing as a mother. At least that is how

I felt. I am generally a very stable person, but I think I came close to a

nervous break down that first year. So, just know that you are doing all that

you can and probably more. I think when people act like that, they usually do

not mean harm, they just have never had to deal with what you are dealing with

and simply do not understand.

I know that I have not had as rough as a time as many of the wonderful people

in this group. But if I can offer one small piece of unasked for advise.

Try to find some time to yourself or time with your fiance. I wish I had done

that when was sick all of the time. I just felt so guilty about

leaving him in daycare, him being sick all of the time, that I thought I was a

bad

mother if I left him with a baby sitter.

Hang in there, I think you will find lots of needed support here.

Pam ( - (3 1/2) Selective IGA def, asthma; Logan - 12 weeks)