RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Debbie, and welcome to this wonderful group. Alot of what you described reminds me of my son Cameron. He's 4. He had a serious speech delay, not saying ANYTHING until well after he was 3, but I am attributing much of that delay to ear trouble. He got tubes in January 03, but it was Jan. 04 before he started talking, and once he started, we haven't been able to make him stop! LOL Cameron is obsessed with anything Blue's Clues, and yellow cars. At 3 1/2 years old, he could write his name, spelling it correctly, and count to 10 in English and Spanish. He can't stand to be without clothes on unless he is taking a bath. He sleeps with his shoes on and sleeps on the floor. He lines the VCR cassette tapes side by side on his dresser every night before going to bed. He still will not poop in the potty and we only got him to go tee tee in the potty in July (turned 4 in Sept.). Cameron HATES changes in the routine, which often make him throw himself on the floor in a fit.

Getting a diagnosis can be a frustrating sequence of events. We've been working on it for over a year and still do not have an official diagnosis. It hard when they are so smart and have learned how to behave in public and you are the only one who sees these things. But you have come to the right place for support. If your son does have autism or Asperger's, don't fret. There is hope for these kids! With the right therapy and even some have improved with diet changes, these kids can improve so much. "Autism" can be a scary and overwhelming word at first, but you're not alone. You can email me privately if you want- anyone on this list can.

Anne

-- New here

Hi, my name is Debbie, Im new on this board, so this post may be long.

My son Camden is 3 1/2 years old, I also have a 20 month old, named Tanner.

A little background on Camden. At 18 months he had speech delay and only used grunting. at 20 minths he became more and more frustrated then normal kids his age, and he was given home spech therapy. At 24 months he became obsessed with Credit card symbols on tv, instores, on gas station signs etc. At 3 year of age he became fixated on DVD symbols, and any movie trademarks, like Pizar, DVD, Dreamworks, Paramount, FBI, the warning on videos, the rating system ( G, Pg 13). He also knows what is in theatres and what is only out on vhs and video. Also at age 3 he transitions from the local infants and toddlers to a speech preschool 4 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day ( 9-11:30), I transport him. His teacher says they have a psycologist atthe school taht would evaluate him if she ever saw signs of autism and to tdae she only will say she thinks something else is going on but hasnt answered my request to have the school psycologist observe him. I finally went through my insurance and saw a psycologist friday who after 15 minutes of observing and chatting with me, brought up autism and aspergers. I have consulted University of land Pedicatrics and am waiting to get called back for a ustism pedicatrical developmental evaluation for autism.

Camden is very bright, knows how to count 1-300 and 300 back to 1. Heknows his alphabet, can spell and say his name, my name and his brothers, and all his family members. He can sit patiently in a restaurant for food, and wait his turn. His main issues are still with rewinding videos to certain areas over and over, rewinding cassetee tpaas he uses to practice his speech with, pushing the DVD buttons, still saying FBI and warning, DIsny, pixar, etc. His fixations arent evedant except on the computer at school where he troes to sneak CD's into it without permission. Im hoping we get some answers, as he sint potty trained, but we feel he need sto be with his peers. He is quite normal for being autistic or having aspergers, and can function in a normal setting 85% of the time, but he freaks out when a particular part of his routine is broken. Not sure if anyone else has this Exact same experience, but if you have a close one let me know.

Thanks for listening.

Debbie in land.

Re: Sleep issues and sick days

My son didn't sleep through the night until he was 7. There is huge laundry list of things that I tried. Here is partial list.1. A specific bedtime routine2. Just leaving the lamp on.3. Relaxation tape4. visualization techniques6. Benadryl...when I really need a night's sleep. One doctor told me to give it to every night. I found a new Doctor.He is 12 now and has no sleep issues. Some kids grow out of it eventually...I wish mine grew out of it sooner. I know how sleep deprivation can affect you.You can always call an IEP meeting to discuss how the schoool needs to accommadate him during colds to ensure that your child is getting FAPE. Missing 10 days seems to be the magic number for incidents, but some SD are more responsive then others.> I know alot of AS kids have sleep issues. We have trouble settling Zo down for the night, claims of fears and if he wakes in the night, like he did last night at 4AM he sometimes cannot get back to sleep. Any suggestions??> > Also do you all find you need to keep your kids home from school for minor illnesses like the sniffles. I have had Alonzo home for 3 days now. He was sent home from school sick after having a couple of meltdowns at school. He has had a cold and had already been complaining about his ears to the nurse earlier that morning. The social worker felt and is most likely right that his just wasn't feeling well so it lowered his tolerance for frustration. I have very sniffly coughy kids all winter. I am worried that I am going to end up having him home more than he goes to school the next few months!> > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

Hi. I'm new here as well. My son, Jordan, who is 3 also fixates on things. He is fixated on numbers mainly, but he really likes to watch the credits at the end of movies too. He was diagnosed with autism in January, and since then has been in speech, occupational, and behavioral therapy. He has no speech as of now, but we are trying. He occationally can get out "ma-ma" but that is about it. He attends the PPCD class at our local elementary school, and is starting to do well. He really likes to stick to routine as well, and if it is messed up, he's not happy. Meltdowns are getting much better, although he is also taking meds for that, and sleep. If he didn't have his medication, he literally would never sleep. I've tried to go without meds, but he'd sleep maybe 2 hours out of a night. It just wasn't working. Anyhow, he is doing much better now with more sleep. cdctmaydak

<cdctmaydak@...> wrote:

A little background on Camden. At 18 months he had speech delay and only used grunting. at 20 minths he became more and more frustrated then normal kids his age, and he was given home spech therapy. At 24 months he became obsessed with Credit card symbols on tv, instores, on gas station signs etc. At 3 year of age he became fixated on DVD symbols, and any movie trademarks, like Pizar, DVD, Dreamworks, Paramount, FBI, the warning on videos, the rating system ( G, Pg 13). He also knows what is in theatres and what is only out on vhs and video. Also at age 3 he transitions from the local infants and toddlers to a speech preschool 4 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day ( 9-11:30), I transport him. His teacher says they have a psycologist atthe school taht would evaluate him if she ever saw signs of autism and to tdae she only will say she thinks something else is going on but hasnt answered my request to have

the school psycologist observe him. I finally went through my insurance and saw a psycologist friday who after 15 minutes of observing and chatting with me, brought up autism and aspergers. I have consulted University of land Pedicatrics and am waiting to get called back for a ustism pedicatrical developmental evaluation for autism.

Camden is very bright, knows how to count 1-300 and 300 back to 1. Heknows his alphabet, can spell and say his name, my name and his brothers, and all his family members. He can sit patiently in a restaurant for food, and wait his turn. His main issues are still with rewinding videos to certain areas over and over, rewinding cassetee tpaas he uses to practice his speech with, pushing the DVD buttons, still saying FBI and warning, DIsny, pixar, etc. His fixations arent evedant except on the computer at school where he troes to sneak CD's into it without permission. Im hoping we get some answers, as he sint potty trained, but we feel he need sto be with his peers. He is quite normal for being autistic or having aspergers, and can function in a normal setting 85% of the time, but he freaks out when a particular part of his routine is broken. Not sure if anyone else has this Exact

same experience, but if you have a close one let me know.

Thanks for listening.

Debbie in land.

My son didn't sleep through the night until he was 7. There is huge laundry list of things that I tried. Here is partial list.1. A specific bedtime routine2. Just leaving the lamp on.3. Relaxation tape4. visualization techniques6. Benadryl...when I really need a night's sleep. One doctor told me to give it to every night. I found a new Doctor.He is 12 now and has no sleep issues. Some kids grow out of it eventually...I wish mine grew out of it sooner. I know how sleep deprivation can affect you.You can always call an IEP meeting to discuss how the schoool needs to accommadate him during colds to ensure that your child is getting FAPE. Missing 10 days seems to be the magic number for incidents, but some SD are more responsive then others.> I

know alot of AS kids have sleep issues. We have trouble settling Zo down for the night, claims of fears and if he wakes in the night, like he did last night at 4AM he sometimes cannot get back to sleep. Any suggestions??> > Also do you all find you need to keep your kids home from school for minor illnesses like the sniffles. I have had Alonzo home for 3 days now. He was sent home from school sick after having a couple of meltdowns at school. He has had a cold and had already been complaining about his ears to the nurse earlier that morning. The social worker felt and is most likely right that his just wasn't feeling well so it lowered his tolerance for frustration. I have very sniffly coughy kids all winter. I am worried that I am going to end up having him home more than he goes to school the next few months!> > > > > > >

__________________________________________________>

Guest guest

Hi. I'm new here as well. My son, Jordan, who is 3 also fixates on things. He is fixated on numbers mainly, but he really likes to watch the credits at the end of movies too. He was diagnosed with autism in January, and since then has been in speech, occupational, and behavioral therapy. He has no speech as of now, but we are trying. He occationally can get out "ma-ma" but that is about it. He attends the PPCD class at our local elementary school, and is starting to do well. He really likes to stick to routine as well, and if it is messed up, he's not happy. Meltdowns are getting much better, although he is also taking meds for that, and sleep. If he didn't have his medication, he literally would never sleep. I've tried to go without meds, but he'd sleep maybe 2 hours out of a night. It just wasn't working. Anyhow, he is doing much better now with more sleep. cdctmaydak

<cdctmaydak@...> wrote:

A little background on Camden. At 18 months he had speech delay and only used grunting. at 20 minths he became more and more frustrated then normal kids his age, and he was given home spech therapy. At 24 months he became obsessed with Credit card symbols on tv, instores, on gas station signs etc. At 3 year of age he became fixated on DVD symbols, and any movie trademarks, like Pizar, DVD, Dreamworks, Paramount, FBI, the warning on videos, the rating system ( G, Pg 13). He also knows what is in theatres and what is only out on vhs and video. Also at age 3 he transitions from the local infants and toddlers to a speech preschool 4 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day ( 9-11:30), I transport him. His teacher says they have a psycologist atthe school taht would evaluate him if she ever saw signs of autism and to tdae she only will say she thinks something else is going on but hasnt answered my request to have

the school psycologist observe him. I finally went through my insurance and saw a psycologist friday who after 15 minutes of observing and chatting with me, brought up autism and aspergers. I have consulted University of land Pedicatrics and am waiting to get called back for a ustism pedicatrical developmental evaluation for autism.

Camden is very bright, knows how to count 1-300 and 300 back to 1. Heknows his alphabet, can spell and say his name, my name and his brothers, and all his family members. He can sit patiently in a restaurant for food, and wait his turn. His main issues are still with rewinding videos to certain areas over and over, rewinding cassetee tpaas he uses to practice his speech with, pushing the DVD buttons, still saying FBI and warning, DIsny, pixar, etc. His fixations arent evedant except on the computer at school where he troes to sneak CD's into it without permission. Im hoping we get some answers, as he sint potty trained, but we feel he need sto be with his peers. He is quite normal for being autistic or having aspergers, and can function in a normal setting 85% of the time, but he freaks out when a particular part of his routine is broken. Not sure if anyone else has this Exact

same experience, but if you have a close one let me know.

Thanks for listening.

Debbie in land.

My son didn't sleep through the night until he was 7. There is huge laundry list of things that I tried. Here is partial list.1. A specific bedtime routine2. Just leaving the lamp on.3. Relaxation tape4. visualization techniques6. Benadryl...when I really need a night's sleep. One doctor told me to give it to every night. I found a new Doctor.He is 12 now and has no sleep issues. Some kids grow out of it eventually...I wish mine grew out of it sooner. I know how sleep deprivation can affect you.You can always call an IEP meeting to discuss how the schoool needs to accommadate him during colds to ensure that your child is getting FAPE. Missing 10 days seems to be the magic number for incidents, but some SD are more responsive then others.> I

know alot of AS kids have sleep issues. We have trouble settling Zo down for the night, claims of fears and if he wakes in the night, like he did last night at 4AM he sometimes cannot get back to sleep. Any suggestions??> > Also do you all find you need to keep your kids home from school for minor illnesses like the sniffles. I have had Alonzo home for 3 days now. He was sent home from school sick after having a couple of meltdowns at school. He has had a cold and had already been complaining about his ears to the nurse earlier that morning. The social worker felt and is most likely right that his just wasn't feeling well so it lowered his tolerance for frustration. I have very sniffly coughy kids all winter. I am worried that I am going to end up having him home more than he goes to school the next few months!> > > > > > >

Guest guest

Debbie~

The funny thing

about all of us with kids with ASD, is that just like typical kids are a lot

alike, our kids are a lot alike! It’s really cute to hear about how

every kid (generally speaking) has the same traits as our own! It’s

really interesting. Welcome to the group! You will love it here!!!

~*~

~*~

Mommy

to:

Cody

(8)

Caleb

(3)

Belle

(1)

Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004

5:30 AM

To:

Autism and Aspergers Treatment

Subject: Re:

New here

Hello

Debbie, and welcome to this wonderful group. Alot of what you described

reminds me of my son Cameron. He's 4. He had a serious speech delay, not

saying ANYTHING until well after he was 3, but I am attributing much of

that delay to ear trouble. He got tubes in January 03, but it was

Jan. 04 before he started talking, and once he started, we haven't been able

to make him stop! LOL Cameron is obsessed with anything Blue's Clues,

and yellow cars. At 3 1/2 years old, he could write his name, spelling it correctly,

and count to 10 in English and Spanish. He can't stand to be without clothes

on unless he is taking a bath. He sleeps with his shoes on and sleeps on the

floor. He lines the VCR cassette tapes side by side on his dresser every

night before going to bed. He still will not poop in the potty and we only

got him to go tee tee in the potty in July (turned 4 in Sept.). Cameron HATES

changes in the routine, which often make him throw himself on the floor in a

fit.

Getting a

diagnosis can be a frustrating sequence of events. We've been working on it

for over a year and still do not have an official diagnosis. It hard when

they are so smart and have learned how to behave in public and you are the

only one who sees these things. But you have come to the right place for

support. If your son does have autism or Asperger's, don't fret. There is

hope for these kids! With the right therapy and even some have improved with

diet changes, these kids can improve so much. " Autism " can be a

scary and overwhelming word at first, but you're not alone. You can email

me privately if you want- anyone on this list can.

Anne

-- Re: Sleep

issues and sick days

My son didn't sleep through the night until

he was 7. There is huge

laundry list of things that I tried. Here is

partial list.

1. A specific bedtime routine

2. Just leaving the lamp on.

3. Relaxation tape

4. visualization techniques

6. Benadryl...when I really need a night's

sleep. One doctor told me

to give it to every night. I found a new

Doctor.

He is 12 now and has no sleep issues. Some

kids grow out of it

eventually...I wish mine grew out of it

sooner. I know how sleep

deprivation can affect you.

You can always call an IEP meeting to

discuss how the schoool needs

to accommadate him during colds to ensure

that your child is getting

FAPE. Missing 10 days seems to be the magic

number for incidents, but

some SD are more responsive then others.

> I know alot of AS kids have sleep

issues. We have trouble settling

Zo down for the night, claims of fears and

if he wakes in the night,

like he did last night at 4AM he sometimes

cannot get back to sleep.

Any suggestions??

>

> Also do you all find you need to keep

your kids home from school

for minor illnesses like the sniffles. I

have had Alonzo home for 3

days now. He was sent home from school sick

after having a couple of

meltdowns at school. He has had a cold and

had already been

complaining about his ears to the nurse

earlier that morning. The

social worker felt and is most likely right

that his just wasn't

feeling well so it lowered his tolerance for

frustration. I have very

sniffly coughy kids all winter. I am worried

that I am going to end

up having him home more than he goes to

school the next few months!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Debbie:

During your meetings with SD about your child's placement, a term

called LRE(Least Restrictive Environment) should be discussed. Many

children on the autistic spectrum are placed in regular classroom

and are pulled out for special services and are given additional

support in the classroom. Ask for it to be explained during the

meeting and let the rest of the team that you would like that to be

goal, so ask for recommendations on how it can be accomplished.

In your home library you shold have books that help you understand

your legal rights. Look for books about IDEA, 504 Plans and No Child

Left Behind -- all of these laws can impact your child's education.

Some SD count on parents not knowing their rights and may not

provide the appropriate services for a variety of reasons. Learning

to become your child's best advocate will benefit you all.

My son is 12 now. He was in the regular classroom until 5th grade w/

various levels of success, depending on the teacher and support

system given. The middle school transition was nightmare for us, but

resulted in finding him an awesome non-public school and he is

thriving there better then he ever did in public school.

Good luck and happy advocating.

> > I know alot of AS kids have sleep issues. We have

trouble settling

> Zo down for the night, claims of fears and if he

wakes in the night,

> like he did last night at 4AM he sometimes cannot

get back to sleep.

> Any suggestions??

> >

> > Also do you all find you need to keep your kids

home from school

> for minor illnesses like the sniffles. I have had

Alonzo home for 3

> days now. He was sent home from school sick after

having a couple of

> meltdowns at school. He has had a cold and had

already been

> complaining about his ears to the nurse earlier that

morning. The

> social worker felt and is most likely right that his

just wasn't

> feeling well so it lowered his tolerance for

frustration. I have very

> sniffly coughy kids all winter. I am worried that I

am going to end

> up having him home more than he goes to school the

next few months!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > __________________________________________________

> >

Guest guest

My son didn't sleep through the night until he was 7. There is huge laundry list of things that I tried. Here is partial list.1. A specific bedtime routine2. Just leaving the lamp on.3. Relaxation tape4. visualization techniques6. Benadryl...when I really need a night's sleep. One doctor told me to give it to every night. I found a new Doctor.He is 12 now and has no sleep issues. Some kids grow out of it eventually...I wish mine grew out of it sooner. I know how sleep deprivation can affect you.You can always call an IEP meeting to discuss how the schoool needs to accommadate him during colds to ensure that your child is getting FAPE. Missing 10 days seems to be the magic number for incidents, but some SD are more responsive then others.> I know alot of AS kids have sleep issues. We have trouble settling Zo down for the night, claims of fears and if he wakes in the night, like he did last night at 4AM he sometimes cannot get back to sleep. Any suggestions??> > Also do you all find you need to keep your kids home from school for minor illnesses like the sniffles. I have had Alonzo home for 3 days now. He was sent home from school sick after having a couple of meltdowns at school. He has had a cold and had already been complaining about his ears to the nurse earlier that morning. The social worker felt and is most likely right that his just wasn't feeling well so it lowered his tolerance for frustration. I have very sniffly coughy kids all winter. I am worried that I am going to end up having him home more than he goes to school the next few months!> > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

Guest guest

Man I hate when schools don't listen to parents. I hope they think about that when they see your independent report!! Anyways Welcome! My name is , I have 3 boys my oldest (Alonzo) is 6 and is dxd with High Functioning Autism, my younger two are 5 and 3. Hubby, Jay, the boys and I live in NY.

Alonzo definately has very normal periods, particularly when stress levels are low, but he has meltdowns when his routine is changed without warning. He can be adaptable if he is prepared but cannot deal with unexpected changes. As far as potty training, I know there was a girl in Zo's Headstart pre-k class (they are very much alike and her mom tells me autism has been suggested for her as well) who was not toilet trained and that along with a need for speech and OT services was why she was there. I think the school will likely work with you once you have the official dx. Autistic kids are often lacking in the ability to recognize physical sensations related to bathroom issues and are frequently late trainers. Zo finally got it when he was 4.

cdctmaydak <cdctmaydak@...> wrote:

His teacher says they have a psycologist atthe school taht would evaluate him if she ever saw signs of autism and to tdae she only will say she thinks something else is going on but hasnt answered my request to have the school psycologist observe him. I finally went through my insurance and saw a psycologist friday who after 15 minutes of observing and chatting with me, brought up autism and aspergers. I have consulted University of land Pedicatrics and am waiting to get called back for a ustism pedicatrical developmental evaluation for autism.

Im hoping we get some answers, as he sint potty trained, but we feel he need sto be with his peers. He is quite normal for being autistic or having aspergers, and can function in a normal setting 85% of the time, but he freaks out when a particular part of his routine is broken. Not sure if anyone else has this Exact same experience, but if you have a close one let me know.

Thanks for listening.

Debbie in land.

Guest guest

Hi Debbie!

It seems you have found the right place to recieve support and

information!!! ~winks~ I am glad you are here and that you can lend

your perspective as well... We have a great group and your son sounds

like one of ours!!!

~hugs~

Rabecca

Guest guest

I just wanted to say welcome to the group!!! Isn't it amazing how

much enough sleep helps these kiddos sometimes???

~hugs~

Rabecca

Guest guest

Dear ,

You have got some great advice here from other members.My 6 yr DS also

has Aspergers. We came to know when he was 3 years old, but sadly

we waited for 1.5 years before we put him on diet controlling

food to which he reacted badly. Limitimg his gluten intake has

reduced his anger and agression.

There are groups available called GFCFkids and Enzymesandautism

and chelatingkids2 which are very good in enabling mothers choose

the right food choices for their ASD kids and supplements too.

Zoloft is not good for children in the long run, instead the right

diet and removing problem causing foods and giving your child

vitamins and minerals can improve his behaviour.

The main thing which prompted me to write to you is that you have a

younger child. Please read about vaccines as they cause autism.

Take your time to decide about which vaccinations to give to or

whether to give them at all. Dont let anyone force you into

vaccinating your child. If u decide to vaccinate give only Thimerosol

free vaccine.

Hope this is of some help.

Best of Luck

Guest guest

I have to disagree and Add something. alot of Parents would disagree. There are many tests that have proven links to autism and vaccines. I believe that not all autism is caused by vaccines, but there are alot of vaccine damaged children. I have 4 boys with autism and two are vaccine damaged. That's all the proof I need. However there does need to be more research done into this. the problem is not the vaccines themselves but the thimerosol(mercury ) in the vaccines. there is proof that mercury causes damage and health problems and causes symptoms that mimic autism. Sharon

Guest guest

Thank you , I agree and also got my asthmatic/ bipolar son a flu shot 2 weeks ago.

Congdon-Barnello <Luvourlives@...> wrote:

I have to reply to this. I hate to start a debate but need to add that this statement is controversial. It would be better put to say that some people believe vaccinations cause autism. I for one do not and I know I am not alone. I just got my asthmatic son a flu shot last week. I would not have done that in good conscious had I believed there was a link between autism and vaccinations. I am not an expert and I could be wrong and I don't get particularly upset if someone else choses not to vaccinate, but I hate to see something that has not been definitively proven being stated as a 100% truth. I feel much more comfortable with it stated as a possibility or even a probability so that readers can make their own decision. I am glad though that you further elaborated that she should investigate her choice, which I completely agree with.

veritable00 <veritable00@...> wrote:

Please read about vaccines as they cause autism.

Do you ?Take with you! Get it on your mobile phone. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Hi Sharon,

I have heard that vaccines can cause seizures in some children. My son Marty has had seizures all of his life, was fine until he had his third vaccine at 18 months. The research I did into this subject said that it was the P, pertussis shot, or the whooping cough part in the DPT shots. The D is for diphtheria and the T for tetanus, which they said was not a problem. Anyway this was back in 1965, and evidentially the shots were different then, and also they said there was a batch that was too strong or something then.

They have a federal compensation law, where a person can get financial compensation for their child from the government, if they believe their child was damaged from vaccines. I applied for that, it was a long time ago, but as I recall my son did not have the exact criteria of vaccine damage. One was a high fever the very night after the shot, with seizures starting then. My son didn't have a high fever, had some, and the seizures did start a few weeks later. Also in what I read about these type of seizures, they are never controlled with anti seizure drugs, which my son's never have been controlled so that makes me think the vaccine may have caused his problems.

Anyway, vaccine damage to children is a real thing, but you have to have documentation from right when they got the shots, each one, and be able to verify that ongoing damage was caused from the shot. I am not sure how much money a person can get for their child from the compensation law, or if it is still in affect. But I would think it would be.

We didn't get anything because we were unable to prove that the shot caused Marty's seizures, and brain damage, and autism. Too many years had gone by.

Carolyn in Oregon

Re: Re: New here

I have to disagree and Add something. alot of Parents would disagree. There are many tests that have proven links to autism and vaccines. I believe that not all autism is caused by vaccines, but there are alot of vaccine damaged children. I have 4 boys with autism and two are vaccine damaged. That's all the proof I need. However there does need to be more research done into this. the problem is not the vaccines themselves but the thimerosol(mercury ) in the vaccines. there is proof that mercury causes damage and health problems and causes symptoms that mimic autism. Sharon

Guest guest

Hi and ,

Well I just wanted to add a thought to what you both have said. The fact is that none of us ever know how a shot or a medication will affect us, or affect our children. It is always a gamble. People don't want to admit this, but there is always a probability that a person could have a serious reaction to anything medical that is put into their body, and they could even die from it.

It drives me a little nuts, ever since I went into anaphylactic shock from amoxicillin a few years ago. I had taken in many times for sinus infection over the years, and then that one time, with that one pill. Boom! So since then I can't take antibiotics very well, am always inclined to some kind of odd reaction to them. Like I took Zithromax for bronchitis after that and sure enough had a very rare reaction to it! Heart ventricle arrhythmia, it was NOT fun! Had to go to the hospital in an ambulance.

There is just no way of actually knowing we will react to things, but I do tell the doctor any time I have to see one, that I am allergic to amoxicillin, or any kind of penicillin. But see, here is the hard part, you take something a hundred times and you may not know, because the body could suddenly not be able to handle something.

This has to do with allergies, which I have pretty bad anyway to many things, carry an epinephrine auto injector, just in case. Not that I would want to use it, it could kill me all by itself!

What I try to do is I put my trust in God, because if He cannot look out for me, then I am sunk anyway. I don't believe we can live on fear, fear is a bad thing. But I will agree it is hard, is a very hard battle, but victory can be won. Because I don't have fear anymore, and that is a good thing.

Carolyn

Thank you , I agree and also got my asthmatic/ bipolar son a flu shot 2 weeks ago.

Congdon-Barnello <Luvourlives@...> wrote:

I have to reply to this. I hate to start a debate but need to add that this statement is controversial. It would be better put to say that some people believe vaccinations cause autism. I for one do not and I know I am not alone. I just got my asthmatic son a flu shot last week. I would not have done that in good conscious had I believed there was a link between autism and vaccinations. I am not an expert and I could be wrong and I don't get particularly upset if someone else choses not to vaccinate, but I hate to see something that has not been definitively proven being stated as a 100% truth. I feel much more comfortable with it stated as a possibility or even a probability so that readers can make their own decision. I am glad though that you further elaborated that she should investigate her choice, which I completely agree with.

veritable00 <veritable00@...> wrote:

Please read about vaccines as they cause autism.

Do you ?Take with you! Get it on your mobile phone.

Guest guest

Hi again,

I just typed in; federal vaccine compensation act into Google, and came up with a lot of information about this, that folks in this group may be interested in reading.

Carolyn

Guest guest

Hi Elaine!

My son was first diagnosed ADHD,ODD, and OCD with anxiety. It was, of course, later determined he was Aspergers which shows all the traits of all the previous diagnosis. Have you seen a neurologist?

Beth

New here

I am new, just checking in to see if anyone has great links for PDD-NOS and aspergers. My son is hearing impaired and we thought his behaviors were due to the langauge delay but now that he is older and has more language I am wondering if he has PDD. He has alot of the symptoms. He is currently dx with ADHD,OCD and anxiety/depression leading to selective mutism. The selective mute has improved on prozac but he is still a little odd. On the school testing for ADHD he triggered for atypicality, adaptability, social skills, withdrawal, anxiety, depression, hyper and distractible and was essentially labeled BED. I asked his therapist today if they would have caught it if he is PDD and she said most likely not if they were not looking at that and thinking ADHD since he has that diagnosis.Help me!Elaine --

This message has been scanned for viruses and

dangerous content by

PCLNET, and is

believed to be clean.

Guest guest

Hi Elaine!

My son was first diagnosed ADHD,ODD, and OCD with anxiety. It was, of course, later determined he was Aspergers which shows all the traits of all the previous diagnosis. Have you seen a neurologist?

Beth

New here

I am new, just checking in to see if anyone has great links for PDD-NOS and aspergers. My son is hearing impaired and we thought his behaviors were due to the langauge delay but now that he is older and has more language I am wondering if he has PDD. He has alot of the symptoms. He is currently dx with ADHD,OCD and anxiety/depression leading to selective mutism. The selective mute has improved on prozac but he is still a little odd. On the school testing for ADHD he triggered for atypicality, adaptability, social skills, withdrawal, anxiety, depression, hyper and distractible and was essentially labeled BED. I asked his therapist today if they would have caught it if he is PDD and she said most likely not if they were not looking at that and thinking ADHD since he has that diagnosis.Help me!Elaine --

This message has been scanned for viruses and

dangerous content by

PCLNET, and is

believed to be clean.

Guest guest

Great to meet you Carol! I am . I live in Central Upstate NY. I have boys the oldest of whom is 6 and is dx'd HFA. This is a great hroup...you will learn alot here!carol sobczak <cpsobczak@...> wrote:

Hi all, My name is Carol. I am the mom to 3 girls. My 7 yo daughter is suspected of having aspergers but she hasn't been formally diagnosed yet. My other two are ages 10 and 3 months. I don't know a heck of a lot about aspergers and am really interested in talking to other parents of asperger kids.

Just to give you a little info on me, I am married to Thom for 12 years. We live on Long Island in NY. I am very active in my community. We have several pets. I love to cook and read (although I rarely get to).

I look forward to getting to know you all

Carol

Guest guest

Hi all, My name is Carol. I am the mom to 3 girls. My 7 yo

daughter is suspected of having aspergers but she hasn't been formally

diagnosed yet. My other two are ages 10 and 3 months. I don't know

a heck of a lot about aspergers and am really interested in talking to other

parents of asperger kids.

Just to give you a little info on me, I am married to Thom for 12

years. We live on Long Island in

NY. I am very active in my community. We have several pets. I

love to cook and read (although I rarely get to).

I look forward to getting to know you all

Carol

Welcome Carol and other new members. My son is 12,As,OCD and

was diagnosed at almost 10. I would recommend purchasing ‘The OASIS

Guide to Asperger Syndrome’ by Bashe and Barbara Kirby. The

book has lots of information and is written in a down to earth manner.

There web site is informative as well. www.aspergersyndrome.org. Toss out any questions and if you

don’t get an answer the first time, do ask again….Gail

Guest guest

Hi: I have just ordered the BFL book and can not wait to get my hands on it

and check it out. I have been reading posts for a few days now and think

that this site will be a big help to me, if you will let me in ;0)

I have no gym membership, and because I live in a small town with one gym

and an outrageous membership fee, will be making this work with my

NordicFlex machine, treadmill, and dumbbells. Is there anyone else that

makes this work without a gym membership?

I just wanted to say Hi and Happy Holidays to you all.

SC

-- Eating For Life Book

Hi Ladies,

I'm going to begin BFL on 12/27 after a 2 year hiatus. Can someone

catch me up quickly on the Eating For Life book and how it fits into

the BFL program. I'm an old-schooler using the BFL book, and don't

know how the EFL book fits in. I need a quick catch up. I've been out

of the loop for quite a while now..BUT AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK IN!

Les

Guest guest

I have made BFL work w/out a gym membership. I use dumbbells, the

kind that you can add and remove the weights. I also have a bench

with a leg extension..and a barbell that I can add and remove weights

on. I also have a treadmill that I use for cardio, or I run outside.

You can definitely make it work with a simple setup. Good Luck!

> Hi: I have just ordered the BFL book and can not wait to get my

hands on it

> and check it out. I have been reading posts for a few days now

and think

> that this site will be a big help to me, if you will let me in ;0)

>

> I have no gym membership, and because I live in a small town with

one gym

> and an outrageous membership fee, will be making this work with my

> NordicFlex machine, treadmill, and dumbbells. Is there anyone else

that

> makes this work without a gym membership?

>

> I just wanted to say Hi and Happy Holidays to you all.

>

> SC

>

> -- Eating For Life Book

>

>

> Hi Ladies,

> I'm going to begin BFL on 12/27 after a 2 year hiatus. Can someone

> catch me up quickly on the Eating For Life book and how it fits

into

> the BFL program. I'm an old-schooler using the BFL book, and don't

> know how the EFL book fits in. I need a quick catch up. I've been

out

> of the loop for quite a while now..BUT AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK IN!

> Les

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi & Welcome!

I did my first challenge at home too. I did alot of The Firm tapes

for some extra cardio but also had a bench, dumbells and a treadmill.

And it was summer so I could walk/run outside too.

> > Hi: I have just ordered the BFL book and can not wait to get my

> hands on it

> > and check it out. I have been reading posts for a few days now

> and think

> > that this site will be a big help to me, if you will let me in ;0)

> >

> > I have no gym membership, and because I live in a small town with

> one gym

> > and an outrageous membership fee, will be making this work with my

> > NordicFlex machine, treadmill, and dumbbells. Is there anyone

else

> that

> > makes this work without a gym membership?

> >

> > I just wanted to say Hi and Happy Holidays to you all.

> >

> > SC

> >

> > -- Eating For Life Book

> >

> >

> > Hi Ladies,

> > I'm going to begin BFL on 12/27 after a 2 year hiatus. Can

someone

> > catch me up quickly on the Eating For Life book and how it fits

> into

> > the BFL program. I'm an old-schooler using the BFL book, and

don't

> > know how the EFL book fits in. I need a quick catch up. I've been

> out

> > of the loop for quite a while now..BUT AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK IN!

> > Les

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Oh thanks!! I was a little concerned about that. I do not have an incine

bench but intend to purchase a stability ball, which I understand can be

used in that way, if Santa does not bring it for me. If he has seen my

eating habits lately he knows for sure that I have not been a good girl;0)

SC

-- Eating For Life Book

>

>

> Hi Ladies,

> I'm going to begin BFL on 12/27 after a 2 year hiatus. Can someone

> catch me up quickly on the Eating For Life book and how it fits

into

> the BFL program. I'm an old-schooler using the BFL book, and don't

> know how the EFL book fits in. I need a quick catch up. I've been

out

> of the loop for quite a while now..BUT AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK IN!

> Les

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

>

> ,

> I have made BFL work w/out a gym membership.

I workout at home also with dumbells. For Cardio I do interval

training with videos such as Cathe Friedrich's IMAX www.cathe.com

Colleen