RemedySpot.com

a few questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for

soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> > >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My environment is good

and I believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good product to wash

down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct taped and make

sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the mattress? I haven't

noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in

sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at

night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil

or even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been

having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but

that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the

same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil

to apply to skin? Thanks.

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> > >

>

>

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi again,

Thanks for the good ideas. I had a bad night last night. I think I had a new hatch out and kept wiping myself down with wet ones or a lint roller. I didn't get much sleep and I am trying to remain busy today. I feel like when I'm heavily moisturized, I can sleep better. But will the mites just keep mating this way? I am trying to remain positive and change a few things around to make my situation at home better. I feel like my environment is getting much better. I've been putting lots of work into it. I can't take baths, that's how the mites got to my scalp. My feet have gotten better with the hydro/borax soaks. My head is a little better. I clean up and change clothes every 8 hours during the day. I'm washing my legs, arms & feet down during the day to keep them from mating. I know you all know how frustrating this can be. What else can I do at night to get

through the creepy crawlies and get some sleep? I have been trying Benadryl and that helps sometimes.

Thanks,

Michele

From: miteygirl <rosebanks@...>Subject: Re: A few questionsbird mites Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My environment is good and I

believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good product to wash down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct taped and make sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the mattress? I haven't noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil or even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil to apply to skin? Thanks.> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > >

>>

Guest guest

Michele - try spritzing 70% or 90% isopropryl alcohol on your sheets and pillow cases shortly before you go to bed. I do believe this kills these things. Whenever we felt them at night, things calmed down almost immediately after spraying. Alcohol is also a good way to spot treat troublesome parts of your body where you feel the crawling. You mention that you use wet ones and a lint roller to wipe yourself down and keep them from mating - I guess if you kill the bugs while doing this - they can't reproduce if they're dead - so in that respect, it would affect their mating habits - but I think that if they're still in your environment, they're going to reproduce according to their genetic cycle - whatever it is, and relying on the wet ones to curtail the mating is a losing battle. There's been a lot of discussion lately about how effective sulphur is - we found Selsun Blue medicated shampoo very effective (the generic is cheaper). We never had a problem with our scalp when we started using this. The Azure Sulphur soap (10%) is one of the few things we found effective (and cheapest) in the long list of products we tried. It is also easy to use - it's a bar of soap! I see some of our group are mixing their own - but I tried that one time with flowers of sulphur powder and lotion - it smelled so bad, and got into my clothes (even after washing that smell was still there) - and in the dryer - the smell was everywhere - had to throw everything out - (Bill - you were RIGHT!!!). Been wanting to say this a long time - but with everyone here talking about the sulphur and not mentioning the smell, I didn't want to sound like a wuss!! Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to avoid that strong odor? The Azure soap we used was 10%, but the smell was never overpowering like the home made potion I mixed up with the powdered flowers of sulphur (and I only used a teaspoon)! Michele - are you starting any internal protocols? Have you read the list of products posted by Mr. Commonsense and forwarded by Marie? There are some good ideas there. And some good tips are coming in thru Dr. Staninger's newsletters. We can be encouraged by these good reports!

All the best,

Judy

Re: A few questionsbird mites Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My environment is good and I believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good product to wash down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct taped and make sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the mattress? I haven't noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil or even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil to apply to skin? Thanks.> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > >>

Guest guest

Judy,

Thanks for the tip on spraying the bed sheets with alcohol..So simple and effective! I've been doing some reading..I do have some sulfur soap that I use from time to time..I did three nights of sulfur/vaseline recently and I really have to keep my skin moisturized right now...yes, I have started doing some new things internally and I'm getting my energy levels but..I will read those, thanks!

From: miteygirl <rosebanks@hot- email.net>Subject: Re: A few questionsbird mitesDate: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My environment is good and I believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good product to wash down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct taped and make sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the

mattress? I haven't noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil or even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil to apply to skin? Thanks.> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > >>

Guest guest

I've mixed my own sulfur. Although I can't get the smell entirely out of the clothes, a little blue pinseol in the wash will help. I also made a spray bottle of blue pinesol and water and that will take the smell out of the dryer..

From: miteygirl <rosebanks@hot- email.net>Subject: Re: A few questionsbird mitesDate: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My environment is good and I believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good product to wash down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct taped and make sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the

mattress? I haven't noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil or even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil to apply to skin? Thanks.> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > >>

Guest guest

Hi Judy

The sulfur does smell , & it gets in the clothes. It stops the itch though . I

never found a way to make the sulfur not smell , it over powered any

perfume,.... eventually

I found arm & hammer powdered laundry soap 1 cup per bath & soaking the whole

house in it 1 time every 2 weeks killed the bug. I also used borax water 1 cup

per 1 gallon of water .

The fogger works the best .for the environment. I fogged each room every 3 days

for 1 month

The laptop I keep in a 2.5 ziplock filled with c02 like the store grain &

soda pop. I keeps it fresh , but somtimes the eggs still hatch after about 1

hour a make my arms itch .

I am going to test an old lap top with heat treating to 150 degrees & see it

still works & is bugless , iuse the hot box to test : a 14 gal tubbermaid tub &

a hair dryer & meat prpobe thermometer stuck thru the side . I cna get 220

degrees with the right indestructable vidal sasson hair dryer .

Or I can achieve

140 degrees with a cheap plastic space heater .

I do my boots in the hotbox, it works but not as good as c02 works on boots .

God bless you ,

Bill

On Tue Apr 20th, 2010 1:57 AM EDT Judy Reynolds wrote:

>Michele - try spritzing 70% or 90% isopropryl alcohol on your sheets and pillow

cases shortly before you go to bed. I do believe this kills these things.

Whenever we felt them at night, things calmed down almost immediately after

spraying. Alcohol is also a good way to spot treat troublesome parts of your

body where you feel the crawling. You mention that you use wet ones and a lint

roller to wipe yourself down and keep them from mating - I guess if you kill the

bugs while doing this - they can't reproduce if they're dead - so in that

respect, it would affect their mating habits - but I think that if they're still

in your environment, they're going to reproduce according to their genetic cycle

- whatever it is, and relying on the wet ones to curtail the mating is a losing

battle. There's been a lot of discussion lately about how effective sulphur is

- we found Selsun Blue medicated shampoo very effective (the generic is

cheaper). We never had a

problem with our scalp when we started using this. The Azure Sulphur soap

(10%) is one of the few things we found effective (and cheapest) in the long

list of products we tried. It is also easy to use - it's a bar of soap! I see

some of our group are mixing their own - but I tried that one time with flowers

of sulphur powder and lotion - it smelled so bad, and got into my clothes (even

after washing that smell was still there) - and in the dryer - the smell was

everywhere - had to throw everything out - (Bill - you were RIGHT!!!). Been

wanting to say this a long time - but with everyone here talking about the

sulphur and not mentioning the smell, I didn't want to sound like a wuss!! Is

there something I'm missing? Is there a way to avoid that strong odor? The

Azure soap we used was 10%, but the smell was never overpowering like the home

made potion I mixed up with the powdered flowers of sulphur (and I only used a

teaspoon)! Michele - are you

starting any internal protocols? Have you read the list of products posted by

Mr. Commonsense and forwarded by Marie? There are some good ideas there. And

some good tips are coming in thru Dr. Staninger's newsletters. We can be

encouraged by these good reports!

>

>All the best,

>

>Judy

>

>

>

> Re: A few questions

> bird mites

> Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

>

>

>

> have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for

soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..

>

>

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> > > >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> > > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My

environment is good and I believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good

product to wash down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct

taped and make sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the mattress?

I haven't noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in

sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at

night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil or

even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been

having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but

that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the

same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil

to apply to skin? Thanks.

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> > > >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

>

> Hi again,

Hi Michele - when I was heavily infested, I found that a mixture of olive oil,

with a little bit of oregano, clove and geranium oils made an effective salve to

allow me to sleep. It stinks really bad, especially the combo of oregano and

geranium, and I guess the bugs didn't care for it. For quantities, it was

approx 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 droppersful oregano oil (be careful oregano oil will

burn if you put too strong a concentration on your skin), 20 drops clove oil, 15

drops geranium oil. This recipe is approximate as I cannot recall exactly how I

mixed it. You only have to be careful about the oregano oil.

myrtle

>  

> Thanks for the good ideas.  I had a bad night last night.  I think I had a

new hatch out and kept wiping myself down with wet ones or a lint roller.  I

didn't get much sleep and I am trying to remain busy today.  I feel like when

I'm heavily moisturized, I can sleep better.  But will the mites just keep

mating this way? I am trying to remain positive and change a few things around

to make my situation at home better.  I feel like my environment is getting

much better.  I've been putting lots of work into it.  I can't take baths,

that's how the mites got to my scalp.  My feet have gotten better with the

hydro/borax soaks.  My head is a little better.  I clean up and change clothes

every 8 hours during the day.  I'm washing my legs, arms & feet down during the

day to keep them from mating.  I know you all know how frustrating this can

be.  What else can I do at night to get through the creepy crawlies and get

some sleep?  I have been trying

> Benadryl and that helps sometimes.

>  

> Thanks,

> Michele

Guest guest

Thanks Michele - good 'ol pinesol to the rescue!

Judy

Re: A few questionsbird mitesDate: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

have noticed that they hate baking soda solution...fairly salty for soaking...perhaps a couple tablespoons per 8-10oz..> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > I am slowly getting better with the dandruff mite. My environment is good and I believe my bed and pillows are clean. Is there a good product to wash down the vinyl covers? I keep the zippers on all casings duct taped and make sure they don't come undone. Would it help the flip the mattress? I haven't noticed any bites in bed lately. I have spent the last three nights in sulfur/vaseline mix. The iver is helping. I just notice a little crawling at night but nothing like I used to. Do oils help such as tea tree oil, neem oil or even olive oil? Would these help the young ones stop from mating? I've been having some issues with my scalp. This started with soaking in the bath tub but that is getting better. I do a lot of cleaning and laundry. I don't wear the same things twice and try to rotate clothing. Can you dilute tto in cocunut oil to apply to skin? Thanks.> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > >>

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Just a reminder to everyone of MY webpages

http://vaccinationdangers.wordpress.com and the links there to exemption info

and everything else. My pages seem to have been forgotten or not looked at.

The link from my webpages which you can always use, is

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

(and this has been posted on this list thousands of times)

" A child is exempt if a parent objects in writing to the school administrator

that immunization of that child violates his/her religious beliefs. This

exemption should be made on a Department of Health and Senior Services Form

Imm.P.11A, and shall be placed on file with the school immunization health

record. "

the form is from another link on the pages and is on page 3

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/19csr/19c20-28.pdf

at the bottom of the page - just print and then fill out that one

On that webpage also lists a helpful MO group

MCCFHC/

as far as for you.............I have no idea. Everyone - please check these

things before you decide to move to a specific state or school.

Sorry to sound frustrated but I am

Sheri

listowner

>

> Hi guys, I have a few questions, can't seem to find the answers.

> In a few weeks I'm moving to St. Louis and will be attending university and

going for my teaching degree. My first semester I will have a class which takes

place inside a middle school and they haven't said anything about vaccines

(although I did have to get fingerprinted,) but will this require me to take

vaccines? What about when I actually start teaching (middle school?) Where can

I find a religious exemption for myself?

> Also, where can I find a religious exemption for my son for preschool/day

care? I looked on the web and can't seem to locate any.

> Also, anyone here in the St. Louis area?

> Thanks, Vida

>

Guest guest

I don't know if you can get an exemption for yourself. Exemptions are for students. Maybe you can ask them to provide a copy of the law requiring you to get vaccinated, if it comes up.

As for your son, NVIC has it all: (http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/missouri.aspx).

If you follow the links, you will eventually get here:

(http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c200-299/2100000003.htm) and here: (http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/19csr/19c20-28.pdf). Page 10 has a parent exemption form.

Winnie A few questionsVaccinations > Hi guys, I have a few questions, can't seem to find the answers. > > In a few weeks I'm moving to St. Louis and will be attending > university and going for my teaching degree. My first semester > I will have a class which takes place inside a middle school and > they haven't said anything about vaccines (although I did have > to get fingerprinted,) but will this require me to take > vaccines? What about when I actually start teaching (middle > school?) Where can I find a religious exemption for myself?> Also, where can I find a religious exemption for my son for > preschool/day care? I looked on the web and can't seem to > locate any. > Also, anyone here in the St. Louis area?> Thanks, Vida> >

Guest guest

Hi There! Here is a link to some information and forms you can download.

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/missouri.htm

I hope it is of some help to you. I live in VA but we have similar forms. I

copied and pasted the letter form (near the bottom of the page) into Word and

then edited it a little bit. Did one for my children and one for myself, then

just had them notarized.

Take Care!

>

> I don't know if you can get an exemption for yourself. Exemptions are for

students. Maybe you can ask them to provide a copy of the law requiring you to

get vaccinated, if it comes up.

>

> As for your son, NVIC has it all:

(http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/missouri.aspx).

>

> If you follow the links, you will eventually get here:

> (http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c200-299/2100000003.htm) and here:

(http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/19csr/19c20-28.pdf). Page 10 has a

parent exemption form.

>

> Winnie

> A few questions

> Vaccinations

>

> > Hi guys, I have a few questions, can't seem to find the answers.

> >

> > In a few weeks I'm moving to St. Louis and will be attending

> > university and going for my teaching degree. My first semester

> > I will have a class which takes place inside a middle school and

> > they haven't said anything about vaccines (although I did have

> > to get fingerprinted,) but will this require me to take

> > vaccines? What about when I actually start teaching (middle

> > school?) Where can I find a religious exemption for myself?

> > Also, where can I find a religious exemption for my son for

> > preschool/day care? I looked on the web and can't seem to

> > locate any.

> > Also, anyone here in the St. Louis area?

> > Thanks, Vida

> >

> >

>

• 1 month later...

Ideal time for hand scrubbing?three types social handscrubbing : 10-15 secclinical hand scrubbing :15-30

sec surgical-2-3minutes Best solution for hand scrubbing?chlorhexidine 4 %. povidone iodine 7.5%, any anti microbial soapRadiograph for assessing Molar apex-ID Canal relationship?opgUrgent referrals are to be seen within what time? 2 weeks How after would you review smoking status? 3months, 6months, 12months.....From: soumil sarin <soumilsarin@...> Sent: Sun, 5 September, 2010 1:42:13 AMSubject: a few questions

Ideal time for hand scrubbing?Best solution for hand scrubbing?Radiograph for assessing Molar apex-ID Canal relationship?Urgent referrals are to be seen within what time?How after would you review smoking status? 3months, 6months, 12months.....answers will be highly appreciated.thanksSoumil

what to do incase of needlestick injury?From: schibin thampy <kuriachan4u@...> Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 9:20:38 PMSubject: Re: a few questions

Ideal time for hand scrubbing?three types social handscrubbing : 10-15 secclinical hand scrubbing :15-30

sec surgical-2-3minutes Best solution for hand scrubbing?chlorhexidine 4 %. povidone iodine 7.5%, any anti microbial soapRadiograph for assessing Molar apex-ID Canal relationship?opgUrgent referrals are to be seen within what time? 2 weeks How after would you review smoking status? 3months, 6months, 12months.....From: soumil sarin <soumilsarin@...> Sent: Sun, 5 September, 2010 1:42:13 AMSubject: a few questions

Ideal time for hand scrubbing?Best solution for hand scrubbing?Radiograph for assessing Molar apex-ID Canal relationship?Urgent referrals are to be seen within what time?How after would you review smoking status? 3months, 6months, 12months.....answers will be highly appreciated.thanksSoumil

stop the treatment wash the wound under running water with soap encourage bleedingcover with a dressingestablish hep antibody statuscontact occupational health advisor From: khaleel ahamed <ka_almanar@...> Sent: Sun, 5 September, 2010 2:01:45

AMSubject: Re: a few questions

what to do incase of needlestick injury?From: schibin thampy <kuriachan4u@...> Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 9:20:38 PMSubject: Re: a few questions

*Stop all work...locate injury*Basic first aid: washing hands with soap and waterDo not scrubencourage bleeding by pressing above the wound*Injury risk assessment*Patient risk assesmentBoth these done by a second person who can be more objective than the injured practitioner*Seek expert advice who will decide on antiretroviral prophylaxis and keep ur latest HBs antibody titre at hand*Take consent from patient to take a blood sample*Arrange for blood sample to be taken from patient a injured practitioner*Record event in practice accident book*Report incident as per RIDDor regulation*Have a staff meeting and review the incident and try to take measures to avoid such an incident occuring again*Await blood test results which will be repeated at 6 wks, 3 mths and 6 mths*Practitioner can resume work after that and continue exposure prone procedures unless blood tests state otherwise*Lastly ensure that practitioner is adviced about avoiding blood donation and practice of safe sex till the blood test results are clear.I hope that helpsPlease add to this if u have me info and correct me where I am wrong------------------From: khaleel ahamed <ka_almanar@...>Sender: Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:31:45 -0700 (PDT)< >Reply Subject: Re: a few questions what to do incase of needlestick injury?From: schibin thampy <kuriachan4u@...> Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 9:20:38 PMSubject: Re: a few questions Ideal time for hand scrubbing?three types social handscrubbing : 10-15 secclinical hand scrubbing :15-30sec surgical-2-3minutes Best solution for hand scrubbing?chlorhexidine 4 %. povidone iodine 7.5%, any anti microbial soapRadiograph for assessing Molar apex-ID Canal relationship?opgUrgent referrals are to be seen within what time? 2 weeks How after would you review smoking status? 3months, 6months, 12months.....From: soumil sarin <soumilsarin@...> Sent: Sun, 5 September, 2010 1:42:13 AMSubject: a few questions Ideal time for hand scrubbing?Best solution for hand scrubbing?Radiograph for assessing Molar apex-ID Canal relationship?Urgent referrals are to be seen within what time?How after would you review smoking status? 3months, 6months, 12months.....answers will be highly appreciated.thanksSoumil

thanx mandakini nd schibin. is it to the occupational health advisor that we report?From: "dr.mandakinisingh@..." <dr.mandakinisingh@...> Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 9:55:22 PMSubject: Re: a few questions

*Stop all work...locate injury*Basic first aid: washing hands with soap and waterDo not scrubencourage bleeding by pressing above the wound*Injury risk assessment*Patient risk assesmentBoth these done by a second person who can be more objective than the injured practitioner*Seek expert advice who will decide on antiretroviral prophylaxis and keep ur latest HBs antibody titre at hand*Take consent from patient to take a blood sample*Arrange for blood sample to be taken from patient a injured practitioner*Record event in practice accident book*Report incident as per RIDDor regulation*Have a staff meeting and review the incident and try to take measures to avoid such an incident occuring again*Await blood test results which will be repeated at 6 wks, 3 mths and 6 mths*Practitioner can resume work after that and continue exposure prone procedures unless blood tests state otherwise*Lastly ensure that

practitioner is adviced about avoiding blood donation and practice of safe sex till the blood test results are clear.I hope that helpsPlease add to this if u have me info and correct me where I am wrong------------------From: khaleel ahamed <ka_almanar@...>

Sender:

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:31:45 -0700 (PDT)< >Reply

Subject: Re: a few questions

• 2 months later...

Good to have you here, Jenni! I beat my knee pain and have a few thoughts for

you, though of course with the upfront disclaimer that I'm not a physio or

doctor.

If sitting doesn't bother you, that's good. You say that your knees don't hurt

when walking on flat surfaces -- that also sounds good (as long as you don't

have delayed symptoms).

Walking up and down stairs and hills is hard on the knees! I did some hill

walking myself during my long recovery. I found downhill more challenging than

uphill. Why? Because gravity pushes your body down faster, whereas uphill you're

fighting gravity. Going downhill, I tried to walk slowly and " push back " with

each step, to lessen the impact on my joints.

Specifically, a few thoughts on your recovery program:

* I'm not a big fan of people who say " this swimming stroke is good for your

knees but this one isn't. " It may be, but it may not be. Knees differ widely in

what they best tolerate. Why not try doing the breast stroke for a while, if it

feels good? Monitor symptoms. Talk to your physio about it. The breast stroke is

probably too intense for many bad knees. But it may be perfect for yours.

Look: I tried to do water exercises and FAILED miserably. I couldn't even walk

over the surface of a swimming pool for five minutes. Why? I don't know exactly,

but it probably had to do with the specific pattern of damage in my knees and my

particular sensitivities. But I did have a good ability to walk out of water,

which seems almost paradoxical, as water provides buoyancy that takes pressure

off your joints, so should've been easier for me. But what they don't tell you:

the water is always providing gentle resistance and that resistance may be too

much for some knees, great for others.

Also on swimming: I used rolled-up child's armbands over my ankles to float my

legs. This helped me in the pool as my knees were sensitive to the kicking

motion when I tried to do a crawl. Just a thought if you're having similar

issues.

* Hula hoop? Hmmm. Interesting. I experimented with a lot of things, but

hula-hooping never crossed my mind. Still, you're moving your knees -- which

strikes me as a good thing. Can you work up a sweat doing it? Reaching sweat

intensity is good. You might give it a try for a few weeks; I'd be interested to

hear if it helps. Ultimately I think you want some exercises where you're

flexing the knee joint, but hula-hooping could be part of the regimen, I

suppose.

Gotta try different things sometimes!

* The physio's hip strengthening and stretching doesn't seem to be working? That

wouldn't surprise me at all. Hip strengthening I would guess is to correct some

kind of perceived weakness/imbalance that you may not even have. And stretching

-- I have yet to have anyone explain to me how that fixes a bad knee joint. If

you're stretching the ITB, guess what? It has the tensile strength of soft

steel. So you're trying to stretch soft steel. Good luck with that!

Anyway, some thoughts -- I've been there, and I know getting better is hard.

Sounds like you're looking at some good options.

www.savingmyknees.com

>

> Hello folks,

> I am very glad to have found this group. Thanks to everyone. I had a few

> questions and frankly at this point feel just as confident emailing all of you

> as I do asking my doctor/PT.

>

>

> Just to give you some background: my knees do not hurt when walking on flat

> surfaces. Sometimes they hurt/feel weak going up/down stairs/hills. The

> delayed hurt is really obvious with walking too much, esp up and down

> stairs/hills. It's hard to characterize it because I either have no pain or a

> stabbing pain. There seems to be no inbetween except for the vague weak

> feeling. Sitting does not bother me. Any running/jumping DEFINITELY will

> provoke the stabbing pain thing.

> I stopped running a few years ago (2? 3?) and was still walking/riding my bike

> but noticing that the delayed response was increasing so I stopped both. Now

> I'm ready to get serious. I have accepted that the bike will be in the garage

> for a long while.

>

>

> So... items for discussion:

> 1. I guess I have just put myself finally into a recovery phase, but I still

> want to exercise. I tried swimming but flutter kicking hurts, even though it

is

> recommended for people with chondromalacia! So I assume that is not good. I

> have read that breaststroke is NOT a good idea, but breast stroke feels good

> when I do it. I will say I haven't noticed the next day effects... that

should

> be my next experiment. But I was just wondering if you folks think breast

> stroke is a definite " no " and why.

> 2. I have a hula hoop. Has anyone tried this for exercise and what do you

> think?

>

> 3. I bought Doug Kelsey's ebook about Runner's Knee. I'm really excited about

> it because he presents ideas and exercises that are totally different and new.

> The stuff my PT has me doing (hip strength/stretching) doesn't seem to have

> helped really all that much (even though he is not working on quad strength).

> I'll let you know what I think of this down the line. There's a discount of

$10

> on the book through Nov. 7.

> It seems like I had one more question.... so you may hear from me again.

Thanks

> for everything in advance! You guys rock!

> Jenni in Asheville

>

>

>

>

>

Hello Jenni,

Your knees sound a bit like my knee was. I have had good results using Doug

Kelsey's methods.I went to Austin for a consultation at Sportscenter Austin and

also had a phone consultation. I have purchased his new book also. I am now on

phase III, but I still think it will be helpful.

I used a stationary bicycle and never tried the slider exercise. I had access to

a total gym and a Cybex squat machine because I was going to a PT for a shoulder

problem. My PT helped me with my knee problem by loosening my quads and IT band.

I have seen a total gym selling on EBAY for around $150. I can just tell you

that progress was very slow for me. Sometimes my knee became sore and seemed to

be getting worse.

Another recommendation the PT from sportscenter Austin gave me is to exercise

for 5-6 weeks and take one week off. Also it helped to keep an exercise log. I

monitor all the exercise I do.

good luck,

Larry

Subject: a few questions

chondromalacia treatment

Date: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 5:32 AM

Hello folks,

I am very glad to have found this group. Thanks to everyone. I had a few

questions and frankly at this point feel just as confident emailing all of you

as I do asking my doctor/PT.

Just to give you some background: my knees do not hurt when walking on flat

surfaces. Sometimes they hurt/feel weak going up/down stairs/hills. The

delayed hurt is really obvious with walking too much, esp up and down

stairs/hills. It's hard to characterize it because I either have no pain or a

stabbing pain. There seems to be no inbetween except for the vague weak

feeling. Sitting does not bother me. Any running/jumping DEFINITELY will

provoke the stabbing pain thing.

I stopped running a few years ago (2? 3?) and was still walking/riding my bike

but noticing that the delayed response was increasing so I stopped both. Now

I'm ready to get serious. I have accepted that the bike will be in the garage

for a long while.

So... items for discussion:

1. I guess I have just put myself finally into a recovery phase, but I still

want to exercise. I tried swimming but flutter kicking hurts, even though it is

recommended for people with chondromalacia! So I assume that is not good. I

have read that breaststroke is NOT a good idea, but breast stroke feels good

when I do it. I will say I haven't noticed the next day effects... that should

be my next experiment. But I was just wondering if you folks think breast

stroke is a definite " no " and why.

2. I have a hula hoop. Has anyone tried this for exercise and what do you

think?

3. I bought Doug Kelsey's ebook about Runner's Knee. I'm really excited about

it because he presents ideas and exercises that are totally different and new.

The stuff my PT has me doing (hip strength/stretching) doesn't seem to have

helped really all that much (even though he is not working on quad strength).

I'll let you know what I think of this down the line. There's a discount of $10

on the book through Nov. 7.

It seems like I had one more question.... so you may hear from me again. Thanks

for everything in advance! You guys rock!

Jenni in Asheville

Larry and , thanks to both of you for your thoughts and ideas.

-- no, hula hooping does not raise my heart rate much, AND my PT didn't

like the idea... so, that's that. And he agreed with you about the breast

stroke... told me I should use my glutes a lot for the kicking and just see how

my body reacted to it during and after. So I'm happy about that. The IT band

stuff he has me doing is mostly to try to loosen the adhesions that are around

it. The hip strength stuff... yeah, I dunno. Doug Kelsey is really into it

also. Now, I think I am going to pretty much follow the Doug Kelsey recovery

program, plus all the tips I have gotten from folks like you (which is an awful

lot!).

Larry, congrats on being in phase III! That's freaking awesome, dude! I can't

even imagine doing the phase 3 exercises. All that jumping around. So hard to

imagine. (I actually already bought DK's book, so I'm really happy that you

have been helped his ideas.) But what I want to hear about is that you got

better. That is so great... maybe I will too.

Already got me an inexpensive total gym on ebay! Thank you for the tip, Larry!!

Again, really appreciate both of you.

Jenni

chondromalacia treatment

Sent: Mon, November 8, 2010 8:47:18 PM

Hello Jenni,

I used a stationary bicycle and never tried the slider exercise. I had access to

a total gym and a Cybex squat machine because I was going to a PT for a shoulder

problem. My PT helped me with my knee problem by loosening my quads and IT band.

be getting worse.

good luck,

Larry

chondromalacia treatment

Hello folks,

for a long while.

think?

Jenni in Asheville

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone!

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

More questions... I have done my own reading but haven't found definitive

answers, and so I turn to you!

I am now wondering about popping and grinding (crepitus), and if that indicates

how bad the chondromalacia is. Both my knees have this condition. Like I said,

walking is no problem, but stairs/squatting can cause some pain, though it isn't

a tremendous amount. If I did those things willy nilly, it probably would be

bad pain. I have been doing " quad sets " as prescribed by Doug Kelsey in his

book and they have helped. Anyway-- both of my knees make the crepitus noise,

though the right one is worse. The right one also pops a LOT. Quad sets seemed

to have reduced it somewhat at times, but when I do repeated motion it really

wants to pop. What causes popping and is there anything I can do to help it?

Is it something I need to worry about?

Larry and (and anyone else who has recovered)-- did/do you guys have

crepitus in your knees? If so, how did it change as you recovered?

BTW, I am about to launch into Doug Kelsey's recovery routine. I am waiting on

a couple of things to come in the mail... then I will be doing it in earnest!

Thanks everyone,

Jenni

chondromalacia treatment

Sent: Mon, November 8, 2010 8:47:18 PM

Hello Jenni,

be getting worse.

good luck,

Larry

chondromalacia treatment

Hello folks,

for a long while.

think?

Jenni in Asheville

Hi Jenni,

Both of my knees made very loud cracking, crunching and popping noises. Both

dislocated on a regular basis. The only thing that helped with the noises for me

was a patellofemoral replacement I had in May. I will have the other one done in

Jan. I was always told if I got my quads stronger that would help reduce those

sounds and the dislocation. I had many other surgeries prior to May trying to

avoid doing the PFR but ultimately I ended up not having a trochlear grove

anymore and had no choice but to get a PFR.

Tara

On Nov 29, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Jenni Park wrote:

> Hello again everyone!

>

> I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

>

> More questions... I have done my own reading but haven't found definitive

> answers, and so I turn to you!

>

> I am now wondering about popping and grinding (crepitus), and if that

indicates

> how bad the chondromalacia is. Both my knees have this condition. Like I said,

> walking is no problem, but stairs/squatting can cause some pain, though it

isn't

> a tremendous amount. If I did those things willy nilly, it probably would be

> bad pain. I have been doing " quad sets " as prescribed by Doug Kelsey in his

> book and they have helped. Anyway-- both of my knees make the crepitus noise,

> though the right one is worse. The right one also pops a LOT. Quad sets seemed

> to have reduced it somewhat at times, but when I do repeated motion it really

> wants to pop. What causes popping and is there anything I can do to help it?

> Is it something I need to worry about?

>

> Larry and (and anyone else who has recovered)-- did/do you guys have

> crepitus in your knees? If so, how did it change as you recovered?

>

> BTW, I am about to launch into Doug Kelsey's recovery routine. I am waiting on

> a couple of things to come in the mail... then I will be doing it in earnest!

>

> Thanks everyone,

> Jenni

>

> ________________________________

> From: Lawrence Terbell <lterbell@...>

> chondromalacia treatment

> Sent: Mon, November 8, 2010 8:47:18 PM

> Subject: Re: a few questions

>

> Hello Jenni,

>

> Your knees sound a bit like my knee was. I have had good results using Doug

> Kelsey's methods.I went to Austin for a consultation at Sportscenter Austin

and

> also had a phone consultation. I have purchased his new book also. I am now on

> phase III, but I still think it will be helpful.

>

> I used a stationary bicycle and never tried the slider exercise. I had access

to

> a total gym and a Cybex squat machine because I was going to a PT for a

shoulder

> problem. My PT helped me with my knee problem by loosening my quads and IT

band.

> I have seen a total gym selling on EBAY for around $150. I can just tell you

> that progress was very slow for me. Sometimes my knee became sore and seemed

to

> be getting worse.

>

> Another recommendation the PT from sportscenter Austin gave me is to exercise

> for 5-6 weeks and take one week off. Also it helped to keep an exercise log. I

> monitor all the exercise I do.

>

> good luck,

>

> Larry

>

>

>

> From: Jenni Park <jennimariep@...>

> Subject: a few questions

> Date: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 5:32 AM

>

> Hello folks,

> questions and frankly at this point feel just as confident emailing all of you

>

> I stopped running a few years ago (2? 3?) and was still walking/riding my bike

> for a long while.

>

is

> when I do it. I will say I haven't noticed the next day effects... that should

> think?

>

> it because he presents ideas and exercises that are totally different and new.

$10

Thanks

> Jenni in Asheville

>

>

I'm not sure about the popping; it may not be anything to be alarmed about if

it's not accompanied by pain. Does your doctor say what may be the cause of the

popping?

Regarding the crepitus though, here's my experience: Crepitus is something to be

aware of. Crepitus is something to monitor. Crepitus is not something to be

obsessed with.

From what I've been able to tell, crepitus has two main sources: the state of

your cartilage and the thickness/quality of the synovial fluid in the joint.

Obviously the state of your cartilage won't change much, day to day. So what

accounts for the differing amounts of " noisiness " you get from knees, from

morning to night and so on? My best guess is differences in the

thickness/quality of the synovial fluid.

For example, I've noticed my knees are crunchier in the mornings and immediately

after cycling. However, it would be wrong to draw the conclusion that I

shouldn't cycle any longer, as the crunchiness is just temporary, and I'm

convinced that over the long run, cycling has helped reduce the noisiness of my

knees.

So really the smart approach, I think, is an ongoing monitoring of crepitus to

see whether it's worsening or getting better over a span of time -- say weeks or

months.

Can it get better? Yup. My knees became much less noisy during my recovery.

However, it took many months to notice any significant differences. So it's a

long-term process. Patience is key.

(FYI, my book about my experience recovering from chronic knee pain should be

available as an e-book on Amazon.com by the end of December … then available

through another channel after that … will keep all posted.)

www.savingmyknees.com

>

>

>

>

> Hello folks,

>

> for a long while.

>

is

> when I do it. I will say I haven't noticed the next day effects... that should

> think?

>

$10

Thanks

> Jenni in Asheville

>

>

I haven't been to the doctor in awhile to ask about popping. It does not hurt

when it pops, it's just very annoying, and slightly worrisome (though you have

made me feel better). When I'm doing those repetitive, low-load exercises to

increase synovial fluid, it feels like it needs to pop every few repetitions.

So then I have to stop, straighten my leg and do the subtle move that will allow

it to pop, then I continue with the exercise. So, your account of things, which

I like, is not to worry about it very much right now and maybe to ask a doctor

about it when and if I every get back to one.

Honestly, though, I just feel like it is rare to find a GOOD doctor who really

knows. So I haven't been that inclined to go back. Lately, I've just relied on

you guys, my own reading, and Doug Kelsey.

Can't wait for your book. Thank you so much for your response. It made me feel

better! All I want is a little hope!

Jenni

chondromalacia treatment

Sent: Wed, December 1, 2010 5:49:35 AM

I'm not sure about the popping; it may not be anything to be alarmed about if

it's not accompanied by pain. Does your doctor say what may be the cause of the

popping?

Regarding the crepitus though, here's my experience: Crepitus is something to be

aware of. Crepitus is something to monitor. Crepitus is not something to be

obsessed with.

From what I've been able to tell, crepitus has two main sources: the state of

your cartilage and the thickness/quality of the synovial fluid in the joint.

Obviously the state of your cartilage won't change much, day to day. So what

accounts for the differing amounts of " noisiness " you get from knees, from

morning to night and so on? My best guess is differences in the

thickness/quality of the synovial fluid.

For example, I've noticed my knees are crunchier in the mornings and immediately

after cycling. However, it would be wrong to draw the conclusion that I

shouldn't cycle any longer, as the crunchiness is just temporary, and I'm

convinced that over the long run, cycling has helped reduce the noisiness of my

knees.

So really the smart approach, I think, is an ongoing monitoring of crepitus to

see whether it's worsening or getting better over a span of time -- say weeks or

months.

Can it get better? Yup. My knees became much less noisy during my recovery.

However, it took many months to notice any significant differences. So it's a

long-term process. Patience is key.

(FYI, my book about my experience recovering from chronic knee pain should be

available as an e-book on Amazon.com by the end of December … then available

through another channel after that … will keep all posted.)

www.savingmyknees.com

>

>

>

>

> Hello folks,

>

> for a long while.

>

is

>

> think?

>

$10

>

Thanks

>

> Jenni in Asheville

>

>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jenni,

Like others have said, I definitely wouldn't equate the noises your knees make

with your overall knee health, although it's worth noticing. I personally have

never really heard a reduction in the noise my knees make even while my

functionality has improved dramatically. The only thing that made a difference

in my case was when my surgeon " cleaned house " inside my right knee during my

lateral release in 2006. Since then, my left (better) knee makes much more

noise than my right but almost never bothers me and is very strong right now.

I completely understand how alarming the noise can be though... I make my

personal trainer play music so I don't have to listen to it when we do my

exercises!

Zaz

>

>

>

>

> Hello folks,

>

> for a long while.

>

is

> think?

>

$10

Thanks

> Jenni in Asheville

>

>