RemedySpot.com

Advice needed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Angie - I can understand your concern that this is just a trial at the moment and I guess to continue you do need to tell your GP that you are feeling better on it. Perhaps you could tell your doctor that you have noticed some positive effects and would like to continue for longer and then try the NAE etc.

I cant remember what your results were but Im presuming that they do indicate that hypothyroid is the problem?

I had dizziness and lightheaded sorts of feelings but these are now pretty much settled - I did find that the progesterone cream helped with the dizziness and also stopping the Lisinopril the GP gave me for increased BP and am taking CoQ10 for this instead (which has reduced it markedly and more than the Lisinopril!). Are you taking any other prescription drugs that could be causing an interaction? There are many drugs, including other hormone medication e.g. contraceptive pill, that can cause a reaction?

Or could your reaction be about stress and worrying that if you dont show a positive effect you will be back to square one? Im wondering if you suffer from migraines - I do and can get bad reactions and migraine to some drugs, which often is only temporary.

Gill

my headaches usually start mid morning, I don't feel too bad when I get up, then they get really bad after lunch till early evening, when they seem to ease off a bit although not fully. It's a strange sensation really, not something I've had before. It feels like pressure and it's all around the area of my sinuses and mid forehead. I've also got pressure like a squeezing sensation at my temples. I'm also getting really dizzy and lightheaded. Maybe I'll stick it out a bit longer and see what happens, it's tough though as painkillers aren't doing much.Angie> Hi Angie> > Based on my experience a good few weeks, do your headaches start > after you get up in the morning and get worse as the day goes on and > seem to move around the head with the need to lay your head down.> > Luv> Chris>

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.6/1192 - Release Date: 21/12/07 13:17

Guest guest

Thyroxine has a half life of anything between 4 to 6 or even 8 weeks, but each of us is different . Each day the amount in your body is less. I think if you stop the L-thyroxine and you still have the headaches after a week and they are of the same intensity, it could be due to something else. It may be sheer coincidence that you started taking thyroxine at the same time you were going down with somehting else. Sinus problems can cause severe headaches and pressure and perhaps you should ask your GP to investigate this possibility.

I hope they go soon as they must be getting you down.

Luv - Sheila

Hi sheila,I stopped the NAE about 5 days ago, but it hasn't made any difference. The only thing is, that before I started the levothyroxine I had a bit of pressure in my nose which I was assuming was a sinus thing. However, I've still got the pressure in my nose along with these awful headaches and dizzyness. I suppose the sensible thing to do is stop the levothyroxine and see if it all goes away. Do you know how long it takes for the levothyroxine to get out of your system? Angie > Angie, are you sure that the headaches are connected with your thyroxine and/or NAE. I would stop taking both and see if the headaches still hang around.> > Luv - Sheila> >

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1322 - Release Date: 09/03/2008 12:17

Guest guest

Hi Sheila,

I think the half-life (T4) is about six days but it can take up to 6

weeks to clear the extra thyroxine out, ie, about seven half-lives...

best wishes

Bob

>

> Thyroxine has a half life of anything between 4 to 6 or even 8

weeks, but each of us is different . Each day the amount in your

body is less. I think if you stop the L-thyroxine and you still have

the headaches after a week and they are of the same intensity, it

could be due to something else. It may be sheer coincidence that you

started taking thyroxine at the same time you were going down with

somehting else. Sinus problems can cause severe headaches and

pressure and perhaps you should ask your GP to investigate this

possibility.

>

> I hope they go soon as they must be getting you down.

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

>

> Hi sheila,

>

> I stopped the NAE about 5 days ago, but it hasn't made any

difference.

> The only thing is, that before I started the levothyroxine I had

a bit

> of pressure in my nose which I was assuming was a sinus thing.

However,

> I've still got the pressure in my nose along with these awful

headaches

> and dizzyness. I suppose the sensible thing to do is stop the

> levothyroxine and see if it all goes away. Do you know how long

it

> takes for the levothyroxine to get out of your system?

>

> Angie

>

> > Angie, are you sure that the headaches are connected with your

> thyroxine and/or NAE. I would stop taking both and see if the

headaches

> still hang around.

> >

> > Luv - Sheila

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1322 - Release Date:

09/03/2008 12:17

>

Guest guest

Thanks Bob - and you are right. I meant it takes up to 6 weeks or so to clear the thyhroxine out of your system.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila,I think the half-life (T4) is about six days but it can take up to 6 weeks to clear the extra thyroxine out, ie, about seven half-lives...best wishesBob>> Thyroxine has a half life of anything between 4 to 6 or even 8 weeks, but each of us is different . Each day the amount in your body is less. I think if you stop the L-thyroxine and you still have the headaches after a week and they are of the same intensity, it could be due to something else. It may be sheer coincidence that you started taking thyroxine at the same time you were going down with somehting else. Sinus problems can cause severe headaches and pressure and perhaps you should ask your GP to investigate this possibility.> > I hope they go soon as they must be getting you down.> > Luv - Sheila> > > > Hi sheila,> > I stopped the NAE about 5 days ago, but it hasn't made any difference. > The only thing is, that before I started the levothyroxine I had a bit > of pressure in my nose which I was assuming was a sinus thing. However, > I've still got the pressure in my nose along with these awful headaches > and dizzyness. I suppose the sensible thing to do is stop the > levothyroxine and see if it all goes away. Do you know how long it > takes for the levothyroxine to get out of your system? > > Angie > > > Angie, are you sure that the headaches are connected with your > thyroxine and/or NAE. I would stop taking both and see if the headaches > still hang around.> > > > Luv - Sheila> > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG. > Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1322 - Release Date: 09/03/2008 12:17>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1322 - Release Date: 09/03/2008 12:17

Guest guest

Hi Angie,

If you had pressure before taking T4 and NAE the you may have a

sinus infection that is causing this problem. Sinus problems are connected

with low thyroid- I used to have them all the time, but now rarely do. Its

east to blame everything on the thyroid as is is usually responsible- but

not always.

Subject: Re: Advice needed

Hi sheila,

I stopped the NAE about 5 days ago, but it hasn't made any difference.

The only thing is, that before I started the levothyroxine I had a bit

of pressure in my nose which I was assuming was a sinus thing. However,

I've still got the pressure in my nose along with these awful headaches

and dizzyness. I suppose the sensible thing to do is stop the

levothyroxine and see if it all goes away. Do you know how long it

takes for the levothyroxine to get out of your system?

Angie

> Angie, are you sure that the headaches are connected with your

thyroxine and/or NAE. I would stop taking both and see if the headaches

still hang around.

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Guest guest

Hi angie,

Have you done the adrenal questionnaire. _ there's a list of

symptoms on the website and another comparing hypo/adrenal ones on

http://www.drrind/com/scoresacrmatrix/asp

Subject: Advice needed

Hi Everyone,

I've now cut it down to 12.5 mcgs for the past 5 days,

but I'm still getting these awful headaches. I don't know what to do,

whether to try and tuff it out, or stop taking them. I really don't

want to go back to my doctor and admit defeat as he's only giving me a

trial to see if it cures any of my symptoms, but if I can't get past a

tiny dose, I'm never going to get any benefits.

Any advice?

Angie

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Guest guest

Rock and a hard place comes to mind - sorry to hear this and that I just don't have any better advice for you. Yes, I have done amazingly well on armour but because I was a very long time waiting for a diagnosis, like a few others I know, it took a while to get there. I am still having to tweak my meds here and there which drives me mad because it sets me back but I can function now and hold a conversation mostly without forgetting what it was about after 3 words LOL. I wish you the best of luck. I would say try the NAE again, I too got headaches when I first tried them, half a tab each day. I stopped them and then decided some time later that I should give it another go, I took 1 a day first thing in the morning and not taking any of the armour for 7 days, this time it worked and I began to notice a difference in my need for a nap midday after 2 months, I went from napping every day for 15 - 30 minutes to only 3 or 4 days a week and suddenly I realised that I had not needed a nap for a whole week. Trouble is I had a lot of stress recently and it set me back and I started needing that nap every day again, back on the right road again now though. If you have been on thyroxine for a while before you go onto armour the recovery is a lot quicker, I had not been on thyroxine because I got the headaches from it although I did get T3 for 5 months which didn't help me at all.

Luv nne

Hi nne,I've been thinking about going back to my GP, but the problem I have is that he will just tell me to stop taking it and that will be my trial over and back to being in the zone of no hope again. Have you done better on armour? I haven't done anything about my adrenals,

Guest guest

Hi Angie,

Sorry to join the thread so late but haven't visited for a few days.

I changed from Levothyroxine to Armour 5 weeks ago and as a result am

experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms as you describe. In addition I

have had a bit of 'chestiness'which I have put down to palpitations

from taking too a high a dose, breast pain and totally lost what

small ability I had to think straight!!! I feel that if I could just

shake my head a bit and make something 'pop' to clear the head and

fogginess, I would feel OK. Does this sound familiar?

I have cut down my dose but this has not made any difference as yet,

testing my adrenals will be my next step. I do remember struggling

with headaches and something akin to tension/PMS when I started

taking Levothyroxine although not the light headedness.

I use a small dose of Estrogen only HRT and wondered, given Sheila's

advice, if this might be to blame.

Do keep us posted on your progress and thanks for sharing your

symptoms, I had started to think I would have to give up the Armour

and was feeling low but now that I know these symptoms may not be

just my weird body, I'm inclined to stick it out.

Love Terri

>

>> my headaches..... It's a strange sensation

> really, not something I've had before. It feels like pressure and

it's > all around the area of my sinuses and mid forehead. I've also

got > pressure like a squeezing sensation at my temples. I'm also

getting really dizzy and lightheaded.......

Guest guest

HI Terri

Whenever anybody changes over from L-thyroxine to Armour, or even starts taking Armour for the first time, you HAVE to make sure your adrenals are able to cope, because if they are low, you will get some very uncomfortable things happening to you. You need to get tested quickly and and get in touch with NPTech Services (Tele: 01638 665350) and order the 24 hour salivary adrenal kit so you can check where your cortisol and DHEA are at four specific times during the day. If either (or probably both) are out of range, you must treat this. If you do have a need to boost your adrenal function, you should stop taking all thyroid hormones for a few days to give them a chance and then start your Armour again, only this time, you should take it very slow and follow our "How to Use Armour" information in our files to the letter.

Some members think that because they are not feeling instantly better after starting Armour, they should add a little more, and perhaps that would do the trick, but it can be dangerous to do this because your body needs to get used to each dose and it takes a good while for the T4 to start doing the job it's supposed to do. Remember, also that Armour has other hormones beside T4 and T3 and not a lot is known about them or what they actually do.

Why do you use Oestrogen only HRT Terri. Have you had your sex hormones tested? Many hypothyroids are oestrogen dominant and need to add some natural progesterone to keep the hormone balance right. This might be your problem do you think?

Luv - Sheila

Hi Angie, Sorry to join the thread so late but haven't visited for a few days.I changed from Levothyroxine to Armour 5 weeks ago and as a result am experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms as you describe. In addition I have had a bit of 'chestiness'which I have put down to palpitations from taking too a high a dose, breast pain and totally lost what small ability I had to think straight!!! I feel that if I could just shake my head a bit and make something 'pop' to clear the head and fogginess, I would feel OK. Does this sound familiar?I have cut down my dose but this has not made any difference as yet, testing my adrenals will be my next step. I do remember struggling with headaches and something akin to tension/PMS when I started taking Levothyroxine although not the light headedness. I use a small dose of Estrogen only HRT and wondered, given Sheila's advice, if this might be to blame. Do keep us posted on your progress and thanks for sharing your symptoms, I had started to think I would have to give up the Armour and was feeling low but now that I know these symptoms may not be just my weird body, I'm inclined to stick it out. Love Terri>>> my headaches..... It's a strange sensation > really, not something I've had before. It feels like pressure and it's > all around the area of my sinuses and mid forehead. I've also got > pressure like a squeezing sensation at my temples. I'm also getting really dizzy and lightheaded.......

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1329 - Release Date: 14/03/2008 12:33

Guest guest

HI Sheila

Thanks for your response. The HRT is a result of total abdominal

hysterectomy in my late thirties. Have no womb to protect and anyway, I

could never tolerate combined HRT, chemical sensitivity is a huge

problem for me.

I have tried natural progesterone in the past but experienced terrible

moods and severe weight gain/bloating. My GP did a full blood count

when I saw him about changing from Levothyroxine to Armour, mainly

because of weight gain and a feeling of being 'over hormoned'and toxic,

with breast pain and fullness a big problem. (At the time I didn't know

enough to ask for the results so I could post)

From reading the files it does sound like oestrogen dominance yet in

some ways I feel as if I have oestrogen loss - headaches, inability to

think or make a decision etc. Its such a problem as the symptoms are so

closely intertwined with the Hypo, which was clinically diagnosed.

I'll contact NP Tech and get the tests arranged and keep you posted.

Luv

Terri

>

> > Why do you use Oestrogen only HRT Terri. Have you had your sex

hormones tested? Many hypothyroids are oestrogen dominant and need to

add some natural progesterone ...> Luv - Sheila

>

>

>

Guest guest

> From reading the files it does sound like oestrogen dominance yet in

> some ways I feel as if I have oestrogen loss - headaches, inability

to

> think or make a decision etc.

Where in the files please Terri.

luv keri

Guest guest

OK Terri - have you considered having a word with Dr Peatfield and see what

he recommends under your specific circumstances?

Luv - Sheila

>

> HI Sheila

>

> Thanks for your response. The HRT is a result of total abdominal=20

> hysterectomy in my late thirties. Have no womb to protect and anyway, I=20

> could never tolerate combined HRT, chemical sensitivity is a huge=20

> problem for me.=20=20

>

> I have tried natural progesterone in the past but experienced terrible=20

> moods and severe weight gain/bloating. My GP did a full blood count=20

> when I saw him about changing from Levothyroxine to Armour, mainly=20

> because of weight gain and a feeling of being 'over hormoned'and toxic,=20

> with breast pain and fullness a big problem. (At the time I didn't know=20

> enough to ask for the results so I could post)

>

> From reading the files it does sound like oestrogen dominance yet in=20

> some ways I feel as if I have oestrogen loss - headaches, inability to=20

> think or make a decision etc. Its such a problem as the symptoms are so=20

> closely intertwined with the Hypo, which was clinically diagnosed.=20=20

>

> I'll contact NP Tech and get the tests arranged and keep you posted.

> Luv

> Terri

>

>

>

>

>

> <br>

> & gt;<br>

> & gt; & gt; Why do you use Oestrogen only HRT Terri. Have you had your sex

> <br>

> hormones tested? Many hypothyroids are oestrogen dominant and need to <br>

> add some natural progesterone ... & gt; Luv - Sheila<br>

> & gt; <br>

> & gt; <br>

> & gt; <br>

> <br>

> </p>

> </div>

>

> <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

> <span width= " 1 " style= " color: white; " ></span>

> <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

> </body>

> <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

> <head>

> <style type= " text/css " >

> <!--

> #ygrp-mkp{

> border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;

> font-family: Arial;

> margin: 14px 0px;

> padding: 0px 14px;

> }

> #ygrp-mkp hr{

> border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;

> }

> #ygrp-mkp #hd{

> color: #628c2a;

> font-size: 85%;

> font-weight: bold;

> line-height: 122%;

> margin: 10px 0px;

> }

> #ygrp-mkp #ads{

> margin-bottom: 10px;

> }

> #ygrp-mkp .ad{

> padding: 0 0;

> }

> #ygrp-mkp .ad a{

> color: #0000ff;

> text-decoration: none;

> }

> -->

> </style>

> </head>

> <head>

> <!--

> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{

> margin: 10px 0px;

> font-size: 78%;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{

> margin-bottom: 10px;

> padding: 0 0;

> }

> -->

> </style>

> </head>

> <head>

> <!--

> #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:

> arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}

> #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

> #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%

> arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}

> #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;}

> #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}

> #ygrp-text{

> font-family: Georgia;

> }

> #ygrp-text p{

> margin: 0 0 1em 0;

> }

> #ygrp-tpmsgs{

> clear: both;

> }

> #ygrp-vitnav{

> padding-top: 10px;

> font-family: Verdana;

> font-size: 77%;

> margin: 0;

> }

> #ygrp-vitnav a{

> padding: 0 1px;

> }

> #ygrp-actbar{

> margin: 25px 0;

> white-space:nowrap;

> color: #666;

> text-align: right;

> }

> #ygrp-actbar .left{

> float: left;

> white-space:nowrap;

> }

> .bld{font-weight:bold;}

> #ygrp-grft{

> padding: 15px 0;

> }

> #ygrp-ft{

> font-family: verdana;

> border-top: 1px solid #666;

> padding: 5px 0;

> }

> #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{

> padding-bottom: 10px;

> }

>

> #ygrp-reco {

> margin-bottom: 20px;

> padding: 0px;

> }

> #ygrp-reco #reco-head {

> color: #ff7900;

> }

>

> #reco-grpname{

> margin-top: 10px;

> }

> #reco-category{

> }

> #reco-desc{

> }

>

> #ygrp-vital{

> background-color: #e0ecee;

> padding: 2px 0 8px 8px;

> }

> #ygrp-vital #vithd{

> color: #333;

> text-transform: uppercase;

> }

> #ygrp-vital ul{

> padding: 0;

> margin: 2px 0;

> }

> #ygrp-vital ul li{

> list-style-type: none;

> border: 1px solid #e0ecee;

> }

> #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

> color: #ff7900;

> float: right;

> width: 2em;

> text-align:right;

> padding-right: .5em;

> }

> #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{

> }

> #ygrp-vital a{

> }

>

> #ygrp-vital a:hover{

> text-decoration: underline;

> }

>

> #ygrp-sponsor #hd{

> color: #999;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #ov{

> padding: 6px 13px;

> background-color: #e0ecee;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{

> padding: 0 0 0 8px;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{

> list-style-type: square;

> padding: 6px 0;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{

> font-size: 130%;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor #nc{

> background-color: #eee;

> padding: 0 8px;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor .ad{

> padding: 8px 0;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

> color: #628c2a;

> font-size: 100%;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{

> text-decoration: underline;

> }

> #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{

> }

> o{font-size: 0; }

> .MsoNormal{

> margin: 0 0 0 0;

> }

> #ygrp-text tt{

> font-size: 120%;

> }

> blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}

> .replbq{margin:4}

> -->

> </style>

> </head>

> <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

> </html><!--End group email -->

>

>

> --1dBazwVRD25MdjPzBCnTscKF0WJ0rD63WCto-KD--

>

>

> --

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1330 - Release Date:

> 15/03/2008 =

> 14:36

>

>

Guest guest

Sorry Keri,

My mistake, it's not in the files, I read it under Hypothyroidism -

associated conditions and thyroid function - Adrenal & Thyroid Disease.

Luv Terri

>

>

> > >

> Where in the files please Terri.

>

> luv keri

>

Guest guest

Keri - the website is www.tpa-uk.org.uk

Luv - Sheila

Sorry Keri, My mistake, it's not in the files, I read it under Hypothyroidism - associated conditions and thyroid function - Adrenal & Thyroid Disease.Luv Terri>> > > > > Where in the files please Terri.> > luv keri>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1330 - Release Date: 15/03/2008 14:36

• 6 months later...

Hi

I think putting you on a high dose straight away may be the problem here, not sure, but it may be best to start low and build up, your Gp is right in wanting to build the dose up slower

I had my thyroid removed on 14 July and have been on 125 mg Levothyroxine every since. The problem is I have been having hot flushes especially at night, extremely tired even after a short walk to the shops, headaches, burst into tears for no reason, and unable to get a good nights sleep - I tend to just toss and turn each night. I had an appointment with the ENT consultant who removed my thyroid and discussed my problems with her. She thinks I have hormone problems and possibly early menopause - I am only 34 and would love to have a family.

You are very young to be having sex hormone problems, but from your description, it does sound like you need to be getting your GP to give you a full hormone testing, this includes all the hormones in your body. If you have low thyroid hormone, it is very likely your other hormones are pretty mixed up too.

You might be suffering with low adrenal reserve, which is a condition many sufferers of hypothyroidsm have and which needs to be treated before the hypothyroidism. You should also ask your GP to test your ferritin level (stored iron), your B12 and Vitamin D. Any of these being low can stop your thyroid hormone from being absorbed. Get a full thyroid function test and post the results here. These are TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and antibodies. Don't forget at the same time to post the reference range for each of the tests you have had done. We will then be able to get a wider view of what is actually happening.

There are many associated conditions that go along with hypothyroidism and that stop the thyroid hormone replacement from doing the job it is supposed to, and you can read all about these on our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk - just click on Hypothyroidism in the Menu, and then on the drop down Menu, click on 'Associated Conditions' and read everything about each one of these conditions there. Ask questions if there is anything you don't understand. Sadly, doctors are not taught about these things in medical school, so don't be surprised if your GP doesn't recognise them.

Luv - SheilaYou can imagine how awful my husband and I felt when we heard > this. I made an appointment with my GP for the next day, she was much > more helpful, she thinks my body is reacting badly to the > Levothyroxine. She wants to take me off the meds for one week and then > try 25 mg for one week and then build from there to find a dose that > works for me. I cant see and ENDO until 11 November. Any advice on this > matter would be grealty appreciated.>

• 2 months later...

you cannot have a MRI done with a scs in you at all. mike group owner--

- In Stimulator , " Lexie " <lexie@...> wrote:

>

> Has ANYONE, heard of any scs unit that has a way (ANYWAY) to have an

MRI with it? I am approved to have trial and implant but this one thing

holds me back. I am afraid to get where I cannot monitor aneurysms,

spinal degeneration and such. Any input anyone????

>

> help please!

> lexie

>

>

Lexie,

I know that I can have an MRI with my pump if I am seen by my pain management

doctor within an hour following it to make sure that no damage has been done to

the computer chip in my pump.

However, if you are looking to have regular MRI's done why not find out what

tests were done for these things prior to the MRI. The MRI's have only been

around since 1978 (30 years) and there were other procedures in use before the

invention of the MRI. The tests may involve a little more time but ask your

doctor how these things were dealt with prior to 1978.

I was diagnosed and had surgery for metastasized thyroid cancer in 1961, prior

to the discovery of scans and/or chemotherapy. Many doctors today would tell you

that it is impossible to deal with thyroid cancer without the use of these

tools, however, I am living proof that it can and was done.

Dorothy

Lexi,

Once you have the scs you will NOT be able to have an MRI....Do you have a

history of aneurysms????? I had  a brain aneurysms back in 95,,,, when they did

the surgery they put metel clips in my brain and neck,,, so now they do CT scans

to keep an eye on it..... so thats my imput,,,,, good luck and take care

soft hugs

T

lisa

Stimulator

Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 2:19 AM

Has ANYONE, heard of any scs unit that has a way (ANYWAY) to have an MRI with

it? I am approved to have trial and implant but this one thing holds me back. I

am afraid to get where I cannot monitor aneurysms, spinal degeneration and such.

Any input anyone????

help please!

lexie

It is definitely something to consider. I know since having mine put in 2 years

ago, there has been a couple of times I've needed an MRI but had to go with a CT

instead. And I was unable to get the answers I needed. You just have to consider

everything before you have an implant. Mine is being taken out this Wed., Dec.

17th to fix spinal leaks and fluid that have given me daily headaches for 2

years. I did not have much success with my stim, so I told them to leave it out.

But I know that stims have helped many people too and some people can't live

without them. Just consider everything before making that final decision. Good

Luck!!!

Stimulator@gro ups.com

Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 2:19 AM

Has ANYONE, heard of any scs unit that has a way (ANYWAY) to have an MRI with

it? I am approved to have trial and implant but this one thing holds me back. I

am afraid to get where I cannot monitor aneurysms, spinal degeneration and such.

Any input anyone????

help please!

lexie

Okay.. I had to look this up because I was actually interested in the

answer and wanted to see if there was some factual information on it.

This is what I got from a web site

Can I have an MRI if I have a spinal cord stimulator?

No. Typically, patient with a spinal cord stimulator in place should

not have MRIs. They also should not have any deep electrical or deep

heating physical therapy treatments, often called diathermy. There is

a risk that an MRI or diathermy may raise the temperature of the

electrical wire or electrodes and potentially harm the spinal cord or

spinal nerves.

http://www.spinedallas.com/trials-spinal-cord-interventional-spine-pain-doctor-d\

allas-tx.html

SueLynn

Before my grandmother passed away a year ago, she was receiving

diathermy treatments in the nursing home.  I called the number on

the back of my card (the card I received after my implant that I'm

supposed to carry at all times) and they told me I shouldn't even be

within 20 feet of any one receiving diathermy.  So that became a real

pain, if I wanted to visit my grandmother I had to make sure no one

was receiving the treatments while I was there.  Just thought I'd pass

this along.

Take Care,

B. in TEXAS

Stimulator

Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:31:29 PM

Subject: Re: Advice needed

Okay.. I had to look this up because I was actually interested in the

answer and wanted to see if there was some factual information on it.

This is what I got from a web site

Can I have an MRI if I have a spinal cord stimulator?

No. Typically, patient with a spinal cord stimulator in place should

not have MRIs. They also should not have any deep electrical or deep

heating physical therapy treatments, often called diathermy. There is

a risk that an MRI or diathermy may raise the temperature of the

electrical wire or electrodes and potentially harm the spinal cord or

spinal nerves.

http://www.spinedallas.com/trials-spinal-cord-interventional-spine-pain-doctor-d\

allas-tx.html

SueLynn

------------------------------------

-I have a scs in my low back I have epilepsy the doctor need a mri on

my brain after spesking to medtronics my doctor got the ok I had a

MRI done several months ago. They protected my back and then put my

head only in mri machine. my stimulator was ok and still ok. Mike

group owner-- In Stimulator , B <muttsmom55@...>

wrote:

>

> Before my grandmother passed away a year ago, she was receiving

> diathermy treatments in the nursing home.  I called the number on

> the back of my card (the card I received after my implant that I'm

> supposed to carry at all times) and they told me I shouldn't even be

> within 20 feet of any one receiving diathermy.  So that became a

real

> pain, if I wanted to visit my grandmother I had to make sure no one

> was receiving the treatments while I was there.  Just thought I'd

pass

> this along.

>  

> Take Care,

> B. in TEXAS

>

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Sue Elvins <apageor2@...>

> Stimulator

> Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:31:29 PM

> Subject: Re: Advice needed

>

> Okay.. I had to look this up because I was actually interested in

the

> answer and wanted to see if there was some factual information on

it.

> This is what I got from a web site

>

> Can I have an MRI if I have a spinal cord stimulator?

>

> No. Typically, patient with a spinal cord stimulator in place should

> not have MRIs. They also should not have any deep electrical or deep

> heating physical therapy treatments, often called diathermy. There

is

> a risk that an MRI or diathermy may raise the temperature of the

> electrical wire or electrodes and potentially harm the spinal cord

or

> spinal nerves.

>

> http://www.spinedallas.com/trials-spinal-cord-interventional-spine-

pain-doctor-dallas-tx.html

>

> SueLynn

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

I've had knee surgery since my SCS was implanted. The ortho. knew

from examining my knee that I had a torn meniscus. An MRI would have

helped with the surgery by pinpoint where the tear was, but she

didn't want to do one because of the risks you mentioned. She went

ahead with the surgery, but it took a little longer than normal

because she had to find the tear. An MRI would have shown where it

was and made surgery a lot quicker.

>

the

it.

>

>

is

or

> spinal nerves.

>

>

> SueLynn

>

This may sound like a stupid question, but what is diathermy? I know

that is listed as something you definitely don't have with a

stimulator, but I've wondered what it is.

>

> Before my grandmother passed away a year ago, she was receiving

> diathermy treatments in the nursing home.  I called the number on

> the back of my card (the card I received after my implant that I'm

> supposed to carry at all times) and they told me I shouldn't even be

> within 20 feet of any one receiving diathermy.  So that became a

real

> pain, if I wanted to visit my grandmother I had to make sure no one

> was receiving the treatments while I was there.  Just thought I'd

pass

> this along.

>  

> Take Care,

> B. in TEXAS

>

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Sue Elvins <apageor2@...>

> Stimulator

> Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:31:29 PM

> Subject: Re: Advice needed

>

the

it.

>

>

is

or

> spinal nerves.

>