RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re: Back fusion before TKR

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, gourmaygal@... writes:

Hi,I noticed that "" mentioned she had a back fusion 7 months prior to having TKR. My spine surgeon recommended that I have the TKR before having the fusion, because my knees would have to be strong enough to support the spine rehab. Any advice on having one before the other?a

Hi a, with me it just sort of all happened the way that it did. We found out I had the slipped discs and I had back surgery. I knew that my knees were shot but no one would really give me the time of day. I finally found the Dr. that said I didn't have to be "50" before I could have it done. My knees were bone in bone. I actually went to one Dr. about a year before and didn't X-Ray me and told me I had to be 50 and that I was too fat! I'm kinda round and short. I just need to grow taller and I would be fine. I actually asked about them adding height to me but I would have had to do them both at the same time and they talked me out of that. I didn't have trouble having the back done first really. At the time everything hurt so bad I just wanted something done. My back still aches and my knees are still bothering me but nothing like before.

Guest guest

my Dr's and i had to take care of the hip long before replacing my knee. the two hip ops cost me almost three years. just when i was starting to heal up enough to look at the knee my back suddenly became the priority. now we are close to three more years down the road my poor knee just keeps getting worse. maybe someday the other joints will give me a break in time just long enough to let them fix-up the knee! it sure is a balancing act.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:07:41 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

They can add height? Where? At the knees? I have slight scoliosis that has made me 1-2" shorter than I should be, and now my spine is getting shorter because I'm "elderly". I've always felt cheated about my height & wished I could get all my discs replaced with thicker ones & get my scoliosis straightened out. One can dream.

Ann

I really don't know if they can add height at the knees. I did gain a bit with my back fusion. I'm only 5 ft.

Guest guest

They can add height? Where? At the knees? I have slight scoliosis that has made me 1-2" shorter than I should be, and now my spine is getting shorter because I'm "elderly". I've always felt cheated about my height & wished I could get all my discs replaced with thicker ones & get my scoliosis straightened out. One can dream.

Ann

In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, gourmaygalaol writes:

Hi,I noticed that "" mentioned she had a back fusion 7 months prior to having TKR. My spine surgeon recommended that I have the TKR before having the fusion, because my knees would have to be strong enough to support the spine rehab. Any advice on having one before the other?a

Hi a, with me it just sort of all happened the way that it did. We found out I had the slipped discs and I had back surgery. I knew that my knees were shot but no one would really give me the time of day. I finally found the Dr. that said I didn't have to be "50" before I could have it done. My knees were bone in bone. I actually went to one Dr. about a year before and didn't X-Ray me and told me I had to be 50 and that I was too fat! I'm kinda round and short. I just need to grow taller and I would be fine. I actually asked about them adding height to me but I would have had to do them both at the same time and they talked me out of that. I didn't have trouble having the back done first really. At the time everything hurt so bad I just wanted something done. My back still aches and my knees are still bothering me but nothing like before.

Guest guest

Hi Ann,

I to have the same condition and found when they

measured me at the hospital I was an inch shorter

than I was the last time I was measured.

In young people they can replace disks but not

us oldies...sigh.

Sherry

In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:07:41 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdyearthlink (DOT) net writes:

Ann

I really don't know if they can add height at the knees. I did gain a bit with my back fusion. I'm only 5 ft.

Guest guest

Are you sure?

Ann

In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:07:41 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdyearthlink (DOT) net writes:

Ann

Guest guest

Yeah, I've discussed it at length with several OS's.

not only that plus insurance does not pick up the

cost since shrinking is not a life threatening situation

nor an illness but is just part of the aging process.

Sherry (5' 1")

Sherry

Ann

Guest guest

But if you had a totally busted disc? Still not allowed? It's not that they can't do it for adults, it's that nobody will pay for it?

Ann

Ann

Guest guest

I was told the procedure won't work on "older folks"

meaning past baby boomer age.

Sherry

Ann

Guest guest

Ann--

About spinal fusion... I translated some work for Impliant a couple of years ago... it's an Israeli product, which has just been approved by the FDA for clinical trials... you can see their web site here: http://www.impliant.com/

Now it may not be applicable to everyone, but the idea is to do the fusion with far less loss of back motion... Anyone willing to take the chance on an experimental device should at least have a look at their site...

Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Ann Sent: 26 August, 2006 8:30 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Re: Back fusion before TKR

I was told they couldn't do a TKR on me because my articular cartilage was too good -- I "only" have chondromalacia and the rest of my cartilage is fine (except the meniscal cartilage, which must be different). But I just kept on looking for a doc who would do it. I figured the one who said that, didn't want to "waste" good cartilage, even though it would shorten my life due to lack of exercise.

So I don't take no for an answer. I can see why they wouldn't want to replace discs on someone with osteoporosis, but if you don't have that -- of course I don't know, but my philosophy is keep on lookin'.

And while we're on the subject of spines, I think they should be able to replace vertebrae too. I think fusion is way out of date. It's easier, and insurance wouldn't pay for vertebra replacement when they came out with it, but eventually they would, and then we could all have spine replacements.

Ann

Ann

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

If it can be used on old folks I'd have my neck fixed.

I also know an elderly gal who is now in a wheelchair

because her back literally broke while she was asleep

because of bone degeneration. My neck is close.

Sherry

Ann

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

Spinal fusion used to be a very bloody operation

years ago and left you unable to bend at all.

Sherry

Ann

Guest guest

It's in Hebrew. Is there a translation button? I don't

want to install something I can't read.

Sherry

Ann

Guest guest

So the disks are not artificial? Why else would they

not want to do it on osteoperosis patients? Bummer.

Sherry

Ann

Guest guest

No, it's not-- I get it in English. If you can't find a little US flag in the lower left-hand corner (which should give you the English verison), then run a search for "Impliant"+"TOPS system".

This is from one of the news reports about Impliant:

About the TOPS System

Impliant's TOPS System, a mobile posterior device, is designed to stabilize but not fuse the affected vertebral level to alleviate pain stemming from degenerative facet arthrosis, spondylolisthesis, and spinal stenosis. Following a laminectomy and medial facetectomy, the device is affixed to the spine via four pedicle screws using a standard posterior surgical approach. Impliant believes that the TOPS System could benefit 300,000 patients worldwide undergoing spinal fusion surgery each year. The TOPS System is not approved for sale or use in the United States.

About Impliant, Inc.

Impliant, Inc. is a privately held company engaged in the development of novel spine arthroplasty solutions for motion preservation. The company is currently developing the TOPS System, which is designed to alleviate pain resulting from degenerative facet arthrosis, spondylolisthesis , and spinal stenosis by stabilizing but not fusing the affected vertebral level. Impliant is headquartered in Milford, CT with research facilities located in Ramat Poleg, Israel. For more information about Impliant, please visit www.impliant.com.

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of S.A.M.Sent: 26 August, 2006 4:12 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Re: Back fusion before TKR

It's in Hebrew. Is there a translation button? I don't

want to install something I can't read.

Sherry

RE: Re: Back fusion before TKR

Ann--

About spinal fusion... I translated some work for Impliant a couple of years ago... it's an Israeli product, which has just been approved by the FDA for clinical trials... you can see their web site here: http://www.impliant.com/

Now it may not be applicable to everyone, but the idea is to do the fusion with far less loss of back motion... Anyone willing to take the chance on an experimental device should at least have a look at their site...

mdavisonnetvision (DOT) net.il

Guest guest

with osteoperosis the bones may not be strong enough to hold the hardware together! fusion has come a long way in a short time and when it comes time for my next round i will not hesitate. sey it is bloody ,even worse when the patient is taking a generic allergy medication that contains a bunch of aspirin, whoops i never thought to look. the doc had his hands full. mine started out as a two or three level and ended either six or seven. i have already herniated the next disk above the fusion so i need to watch what i do. before they put me in the ground i want to drive a dirt late model for a couple of races. even with the fusion it will happen so steel rods and screws are not the end of everything. go to oakshaderaceway.com and look at the pictures of the cars. i sponsor the X3 late model

Guest guest

if there is a failure and the dr. can then do a traditional fusion maybe. putting a device that big in there, would but a big load on the bone due to leverage

Guest guest

Many years ago I witnessed a spinal fusion. This was

in the early 60's. There were tubes running out of the

l patients back all full of blood.

Sherry

with osteoperosis the bones may not be strong enough to hold the hardware together! fusion has come a long way in a short time and when it comes time for my next round i will not hesitate. sey it is bloody ,even worse when the patient is taking a generic allergy medication that contains a bunch of aspirin, whoops i never thought to look. the doc had his hands full. mine started out as a two or three level and ended either six or seven. i have already herniated the next disk above the fusion so i need to watch what i do. before they put me in the ground i want to drive a dirt late model for a couple of races. even with the fusion it will happen so steel rods and screws are not the end of everything. go to oakshaderaceway.com and look at the pictures of the cars. i sponsor the X3 late model

Guest guest

I was talking w/o thinking. Since osteoporosis can eventually cause some of the vertebrae to fracture, which would require fusion (since they don't seem to have vertebra replacement yet), I thought if a person who had osteoporosis got a busted disc, they would just fuse, and having a good disc between fractured vertebra would be a waste of a good disc.

Speaking of osteoporosis, I never expected to get it because I've taken hormone supplements since I began to lose estrogen/progesterone in my 40's. I figured I was well covered. But 3 years ago I took prednisone for 3 months, and then I learned that Prednisone does most of its damage in the first -- yep -- 3 months. So now I have beginning cataracts and osteopenia (the beginning of osteoporosis) in my lumbar spine (but this is better than 2 years ago, when I had borderline osteopenia in my wrists and hips too).

As soon as I learned I had osteopenia, I started taking Fosamax. But recently I learned that some patients who took Fosamax (granted, usually people who've had chemo -- but not all had had chemo) develop a condition called jawbone death, which is at this point not curable -- when they remove the dead part of the jawbone, it still progresses. So now I'm scared to take Fosamax.

Getting older is a bitch.

Ann

Ann

Guest guest

Oh ho! So they may have actual vertebrae replacements. That would be very nice. Id sure like to get rid of this scoliosis. The older I get, the more trouble it gives me, even though it's "slight".

I'll do some research. I confess I had assumed that they didn't have vertebra replacements.

Ann

Re: Re: Back fusion before TKR> > > > In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:07:41 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:> They can add height? Where? At the knees? I have slight scoliosis that has made me 1-2" shorter than I should be, and now my spine is getting shorter because I'm "elderly". I've always felt cheated about my height & wished I could get all my discs replaced with thicker ones & get my scoliosis straightened out. One can dream.> > Ann> I really don't know if they can add height at the knees. I did gain a bit with my back fusion. I'm only 5 ft. >

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/26/2006 9:14:29 A.M. Central Standard Time, blueopal@... writes:

Spinal fusion used to be a very bloody operation

years ago and left you unable to bend at all.

Sherry

Mine was a spinal fusion, and it was the worst thing I've ever had happen to me. I never want to do it again.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/26/2006 12:36:12 P.M. Central Standard Time, blueopal@... writes:

Many years ago I witnessed a spinal fusion. This was

in the early 60's. There were tubes running out of the

l patients back all full of blood.

Sherry

I'm very glad that I didn't have to witness it. I had a tube running out of my back that felt like a garden hose when they pulled it out.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/26/2006 9:48:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, blueopal@... writes:

Drain. You'll have em in your knee too.

Sherry

Yeah, they don't hurt hardly at all coming out of your knee.

Guest guest

Oh, I hope you know to take an antibiotic before

going to the DDS a month before surgery and afterward too. Oral infections will go into your

knee ASAP.

Sherry

Re: Re: Back fusion before TKR> > > > In a message dated 8/25/2006 4:07:41 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:> They can add height? Where? At the knees? I have slight scoliosis that has made me 1-2" shorter than I should be, and now my spine is getting shorter because I'm "elderly". I've always felt cheated about my height & wished I could get all my discs replaced with thicker ones & get my scoliosis straightened out. One can dream.> > Ann> I really don't know if they can add height at the knees. I did gain a bit with my back fusion. I'm only 5 ft. >

Guest guest

I already do that because I have a floppy mitral valve. And I remember reading about having to take antibiotics before dental work once you get a new knee, too. Didn't know about after, though. Thanks for reminding me.

Ann