RemedySpot.com

Re: To all those with Congenital Hip Dislocation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was 38 when I had my TLHR and, I got ceramic on ceramic. It has done well so far and, weathered through a hard fall right on it.

Connie

SheylaP1@... writes:

I am a 40 year old female with bilateral CDH. I had surgeries as a child on both hips. I have been a THR candidate for my left hip since age 28. I have been trying to postpone the inevitable for years and I am finally realizing that LTHR is in my near future.For those of you that had THR (or are about to have THR) for CDH, what kind of hip did you get? I would appreciate specifics of both the stem and the acetabular component, if you know.The J & J/DePuy S-ROM is being advised for me given that I have CDH, but as of my May visit the S-ROM only came metal-on-metal or metal with poly. The more I read, I am not crazy about poly. Given my age and my narrow thigh bone, I need for this THR to last me 20 years. I am leaning towards ceramic on ceramic. One OS told me that J & J was about to come with ceramic-on-ceramic S-ROM.Also, I would love to hear from anyone that has S-ROM stem. What has been your experience?Thank you all.Sheyla

Guest guest

My daughter is now 22. She was born with bilateral CDH but didn't have to have surgery. The drs were able to take care of her without it. Ortho doc or anyone else with experience can answer this, but should she do ok or could there be a time she may have problems with her hips? She is due in October to deliver her first baby and I know that puts enormous strain on the hips with spreading the legs. She occasionally has pain in her hips but thankfully not all the time. I'm just wondering about all that. Sheyla P <SheylaP1@...> wrote:

I am a 40 year old female with bilateral CDH. I had surgeries as a child on both hips. I have been a THR candidate for my left hip since age 28. I have been trying to postpone the inevitable for years and I am finally realizing that LTHR is in my near future.For those of you that had THR (or are about to have THR) for CDH, what kind of hip did you get? I would appreciate specifics of both the stem and the acetabular component, if you know.The J & J/DePuy S-ROM is being advised for me given that I have CDH, but as of my May visit the S-ROM only came metal-on-metal or metal with poly. The more I read, I am not crazy about poly. Given my age and my narrow thigh bone, I need for this THR to last me 20 years. I am leaning towards ceramic on ceramic. One OS told me that J & J was

about to come with ceramic-on-ceramic S-ROM.Also, I would love to hear from anyone that has S-ROM stem. What has been your experience?Thank you all.Sheyla

Guest guest

Hi,

I was also born with dislocated hips which was not seen until I started walking and by two years old I had surgery on both hips to put the bones back. I was monitored for about two years to make sure the bones were growing properly. I had a very good life, I had two children, let's just say, I was able to do everything. Occasionally, I felt a bit of pain in my right hip, especially when walking for too long but it only lasted for a minute. It wasn't until two years ago that the arthritis set in and the OS I saw then told me I would eventually need my hip replaced. I am now 47 and had my right hip replaced back in November at 46 years old. I'm doing great but still have alot of pain and limping. I remember my mother telling me years ago that it took me eight months before I was walking well again when I was about three. If I had been born in a city, they would have caught it when I was born but I was born in Italy by a mid wife and

I was also a breech baby so I don't know if the damage was done during delivery or I was just born that way. My mother never did tell me and now she's not here to ask. I lead a good life until about 45 years old but now I'm on my way to being pain free once again. The OS said my left hip is fine. This is my story, hope it wasn't too long.

All the best to your daughter,

CarmelBill and Canter <cindyj4652@...> wrote:

My daughter is now 22. She was born with bilateral CDH but didn't have to have surgery. The drs were able to take care of her without it. Ortho doc or anyone else with experience can answer this, but should she do ok or could there be a time she may have problems with her hips? She is due in October to deliver her first baby and I know that puts enormous strain on the hips with spreading the legs. She occasionally has pain in her hips but thankfully not all the time. I'm just wondering about all that. Sheyla P <SheylaP1@...> wrote: I am a 40 year old female with bilateral CDH. I had surgeries as a child on both hips. I have been a THR candidate for my left hip since age 28. I have been trying to postpone the inevitable for years and I am finally realizing that LTHR is in my near future.For those of you that had THR (or are about to have THR) for CDH, what kind of hip did you get? I would appreciate specifics of both the stem and the acetabular component, if you know.The J & J/DePuy S-ROM is being advised for me given that I have CDH, but as of my May visit the S-ROM only came metal-on-metal or metal with poly. The more I read, I am not crazy about poly. Given my age and my narrow thigh bone, I need for this THR to last me 20 years. I am leaning towards ceramic on ceramic. One OS told me that J & J was

about to come with ceramic-on-ceramic S-ROM.Also, I would love to hear from anyone that has S-ROM stem. What has been your experience?Thank you all.Sheyla

Guest guest

We live in a small city. They caught 's at birth. She was a normal delivery so most likely you were born that way because she was. She was nearly 13 months old before she walked, and the dr said she would be slower because of the CHD. They used a brace thing and her hips corrected without surgery. I just hope she doesn't have problems but we will deal with what comes. Your story was not too long. Thank you for sharing it. I'll keep you in my prayers that you will continue to do well.

Carmel Santos <pureenergy7@...> wrote:

Hi,

I was also born with dislocated hips which was not seen until I started walking and by two years old I had surgery on both hips to put the bones back. I was monitored for about two years to make sure the bones were growing properly. I had a very good life, I had two children, let's just say, I was able to do everything. Occasionally, I felt a bit of pain in my right hip, especially when walking for too long but it only lasted for a minute. It wasn't until two years ago that the arthritis set in and the OS I saw then told me I would eventually need my hip replaced. I am now 47 and had my right hip replaced back in November at 46 years old. I'm doing great but still have alot of pain and limping. I remember my mother telling me years ago that it took me eight months before I was walking well again when I was about three. If I had been born in a city, they would have caught it when I was born but I was born in Italy by a mid wife and

I was also a breech baby so I don't know if the damage was done during delivery or I was just born that way. My mother never did tell me and now she's not here to ask. I lead a good life until about 45 years old but now I'm on my way to being pain free once again. The OS said my left hip is fine. This is my story, hope it wasn't too long.

All the best to your daughter,

CarmelBill and Canter <cindyj4652@...> wrote:

My daughter is now 22. She was born with bilateral CDH but didn't have to have surgery. The drs were able to take care of her without it. Ortho doc or anyone else with experience can answer this, but should she do ok or could there be a time she may have problems with her hips? She is due in October to deliver her first baby and I know that puts enormous strain on the hips with spreading the legs. She occasionally has pain in her hips but thankfully not all the time. I'm just wondering about all that. Sheyla P <SheylaP1@...> wrote: I am a 40 year old female with bilateral CDH. I had surgeries as a child on both hips. I have been a THR candidate for my left hip since age 28. I have been trying to postpone the inevitable for years and I am finally realizing that LTHR is in my near future.For those of you that had THR (or are about to have THR) for CDH, what kind of hip did you get? I would appreciate specifics of both the stem and the acetabular component, if you know.The J & J/DePuy S-ROM is being advised for me given that I have CDH, but as of my May visit the S-ROM only came metal-on-metal or metal with poly. The more I read, I am not crazy about poly. Given my age and my narrow thigh bone, I need for this THR to last me 20 years. I am leaning towards ceramic on ceramic. One OS told me that J & J was

Guest guest

Great. I'm glad you are doing well. I guess we will see how does as she gets older. tashadow@... wrote:

I was 38 when I had my TLHR and, I got ceramic on ceramic. It has done well so far and, weathered through a hard fall right on it.

Connie

SheylaP1@... writes:

I am a 40 year old female with bilateral CDH. I had surgeries as a child on both hips. I have been a THR candidate for my left hip since age 28. I have been trying to postpone the inevitable for years and I am finally realizing that LTHR is in my near future.For those of you that had THR (or are about to have THR) for CDH, what kind of hip did you get? I would appreciate specifics of both the stem and the acetabular component, if you know.The J & J/DePuy S-ROM is being advised for me given that I have CDH, but as of my May visit the S-ROM only came metal-on-metal or metal with poly. The more I read, I am not crazy about poly. Given my age and my narrow thigh bone, I need for this THR to last me 20 years. I am leaning towards ceramic

on ceramic. One OS told me that J & J was about to come with ceramic-on-ceramic S-ROM.Also, I would love to hear from anyone that has S-ROM stem. What has been your experience?Thank you all.Sheyla

Guest guest

Hi,

I am 38 years old and just had LTHR in May. I will have the right hip done in September. Because of my age, my doctor went with the metal on metal device. It has a titanium stem and the ball and socket is larger which helps reduce the risk of dislocation. The metal also will not wear out as soon as the plastic sleeves or the ceramic.

Of course the US FDA has not approved the metal on metal yet, so this was part of a "study". So far, I have been very happy with the implant. Have had no problems. The leg is feeling great and I can't wait to have the other side done.

Dawn/bamachic67

Guest guest

Hey ,

I am 37 years old. I was born breech, one leg at a time which caused my hips to dislocate. They did not realize this until I tried to walk and kept hitting the floor. They put pins through me legs right below the knees and my legs were up in traction. They put weights on the pins to "weigh" my hip joints back into the socket. Thankfully I was so small I don't remember any of this. They always told me that I would probably have problems with my legs later in life.

Well, that came at age 36. I was working in the flower garden that weekend before Easter and woke up the next morning with a pain in my left hip. I thought I had just pulled a muscle. After a few weeks, the pain had not gone away. I then thought maybe I damaged a nerve. After several months, the pain still had not gone away. I think I knew all along in the back of my head what was wrong but was just not ready to accept it. Then the right hip started hurting. I made the inevitable visit to my Dr. The arthritis had set it in and the cartilage was wearing away in the joints. I then became best friends with my new OS.

We tried the injections in the joint, but that gave very little relief which lasted only about a month, and you can only have these injections about once or twice a year. So it was then time to talk surgery. I was amazed at how fast the deterioration was taking. Within a year I was on daily pain pills. The pain just got worse. My quality of life was going downhill fast.

I was ready to have the surgeries the latter part of last year and then I broke my left foot in September. Well, you can't have hip surgery if you have a cast on your foot. Then in October I broke my right foot. I knew then there would be no surgery that year. Finally in May of this year I had the first surgery. Wow, what a difference. It is scary to think about, but it is worth it. The recovery is hard, but not as hard as living with chronic pain every day. Chronic pain is so debilitating. People just don't understand. Not even your spouse. To wake up everyday in pain, to have your whole day revolve around your pain and to go to bed in pain is a depressing way of life. Don't be surprised if the Dr prescribes antidepressants to help. It is a lot to deal with.

If your daughter starts to experience this kind of pain and decrease in quality of life. Don't wait...get to an OS immediately to discuss options. Medicine has come too far to live your life in that kind of pain.

Guest guest

due in October to deliver her first baby and I know that puts enormous strain on the hips with spreading the legs. She occasionally has pain in her hips but thankfully not all the time>>> I'm CHD patient... with LTHR. I didn't have the replacement however during either of my children being born. I did the periodal off your feet tilted womb dealings..... but long story short. First child I tried natural birth~ my bones on left would not eface ? that how you spell it ? right side did just fine. You know soften up and do the separating..... lol thats what I'm trying to say.... anyways, my hip actually rotated outta socket during birth~ At some point I blacked out due to the the pain.... next thing I know I had a baby boy & doc was in room 2 rotate my hip back. I spent nearly 2 months on cane.... trying to get healed up. With second one however, my doc give me the option and I went with C~section.... was a piece of cake. Just for safe measure because I had a toddler to run for. If she's got a GOOD doctor which is WELL INFORMED about her case~ she shouldn't have any problems as long as the doctor don't try pushing beyond a patient saying WOW HOLD THE HORSE! Good communication IS A MUST! I'd just make certain her OBGYN had copies of her current hip history and let the doc give the word on what was best.

Guest guest

Of course the US FDA has not approved the metal on metal yet, >>> I know cobalt chrome (AKA titanium) has been used in orthopedic implants for something like 65 yrs. there abouts. And I thought clinicals of CC ball & sockets implants were introduced for trail in like 2002 in the US ? Have to relook.... but I'm pretty sure~ ERIC ? What you know on it~ you had some pretty good links not long ago that saved me hunting. LOL

Guest guest

So, yeah I think I'll make a mention of the hip problems her next visit. I didn't think about the CHD before I started seeing posts about it. Thanks >>> Goes to the old saying better safe then sorry~ I don't think a doctor can have TOO MUCH information when it comes to trying to figure out what's best for your treatment or care. If it don't matter one way or another.... least your no more worse for wear and it'll save you alot of worrying about it. :)

Guest guest

I believe there are FDA approved metal-on-metal Total Hip Replacement systems. I believe the BFH (Big Femoral Head) is one of the approved devices. >>> I've read so much.... can't remember which ones are which any more~ thanks.... thought one had been though~ remembered readin about it.

Guest guest

The doc did say something about being narrow and they hoped she'd be able to open up. So, yeah I think I'll make a mention of the hip problems her next visit. I didn't think about the CHD before I started seeing posts about it. Thanks, SassyLouYou@... wrote:

due in October to deliver her first baby and I know that puts enormous strain on the hips with spreading the legs. She occasionally has pain in her hips but thankfully not all the time>>> I'm CHD patient... with LTHR. I didn't have the replacement however during either of my children being born. I did the periodal off your feet tilted womb dealings..... but long story short. First child I tried natural birth~ my bones on left would not eface ? that how you spell it ? right side did just fine. You know soften up and do the separating..... lol thats what I'm trying to say.... anyways, my hip

actually rotated outta socket during birth~ At some point I blacked out due to the the pain.... next thing I know I had a baby boy & doc was in room 2 rotate my hip back. I spent nearly 2 months on cane.... trying to get healed up. With second one however, my doc give me the option and I went with C~section.... was a piece of cake. Just for safe measure because I had a toddler to run for. If she's got a GOOD doctor which is WELL INFORMED about her case~ she shouldn't have any problems as long as the doctor don't try pushing beyond a patient saying WOW HOLD THE HORSE! Good communication IS A MUST! I'd just make certain her OBGYN had copies of her current hip history and let the doc give the word on what was best.

Guest guest

While yours may have been part of a study, I believe there are FDA

approved metal-on-metal Total Hip Replacement systems. I believe the

BFH (Big Femoral Head) is one of the approved devices.

> Hi,

>

> I am 38 years old and just had LTHR in May. I will have the right

hip done

> in September. Because of my age, my doctor went with the metal on

metal

> device. It has a titanium stem and the ball and socket is larger

which helps reduce

> the risk of dislocation. The metal also will not wear out as soon

as the

> plastic sleeves or the ceramic.

>

> Of course the US FDA has not approved the metal on metal yet, so

this was

> part of a " study " . So far, I have been very happy with the implant.

Have had no

> problems. The leg is feeling great and I can't wait to have the

other side

> done.

>

> Dawn/bamachic67

Guest guest

http://www.wmt.com/bigfemoralhead/patients/default.asp

is one of the FDA approved m-o-m THR devices.

> Of course the US FDA has not approved the metal on metal yet, >>> I

know

> cobalt chrome (AKA titanium) has been used in orthopedic implants

for something

> like 65 yrs. there abouts. And I thought clinicals of CC ball &

sockets

> implants were introduced for trail in like 2002 in the US ? Have to

relook.... but

> I'm pretty sure~ ERIC ? What you know on it~ you had some pretty

good links

> not long ago that saved me hunting. LOL

Guest guest

the cobalt chromium trials had to have been started in mid 1999. i am a wright medical guinea pig myself. they put mine in at the end of 99

Guest guest

the cobalt chromium trials had to have been started in mid 1999. i am a wright medical guinea pig myself. they put mine in at the end of 99 >>> Finially found the article I was speaking of.... It is information offered by The hip & knee Institute a Dr. Huddleston in CA had noted. Anyways for those that are interested.... here's the link~

HIP IMPLANT DESIGNS AND MATERIALS -- Arthritis Hip Surgery Info - Total Hip Replacement

http://www.hipsandknees.com/hip/hipimplants.htm

It did quote the 2002 introduction date.... maybe that's the time it actually hit the market as "excepted" verse tested ? or just the time frame he as a physician started doing them I don't know.... I just remembered reading it somewhere.

Happy walking to you all~ :) If your by chance having a bad day.... find yourself a smile, look in the first mirror you pass~ and question yourself..... don't you owe it to the person looking back at ya to make it a well spent experience ? Make a terrific day for yourself :)

Guest guest

Sassy,

Thanks for the link for that article. It was very informative, even though I have already had my hip surgeries. I'm sure it will be especially informative to those who are in the contemplating surgery stage.

Re: To all those with Congenital Hip Dislocation

the cobalt chromium trials had to have been started in mid 1999. i am a wright medical guinea pig myself. they put mine in at the end of 99 >>> Finially found the article I was speaking of.... It is information offered by The hip & knee Institute a Dr. Huddleston in CA had noted. Anyways for those that are interested.... here's the link~HIP IMPLANT DESIGNS AND MATERIALS -- Arthritis Hip Surgery Info - Total Hip Replacement http://www.hipsandknees.com/hip/hipimplants.htmIt did quote the 2002 introduction date.... maybe that's the time it actually hit the market as "excepted" verse tested ? or just the time frame he as a physician started doing them I don't know.... I just remembered reading it somewhere.Happy walking to you all~ :) If your by chance having a bad day.... find yourself a smile, look in the first mirror you pass~ and question yourself..... don't you owe it to the person looking back at ya to make it a well spent experience ? Make a terrific day for yourself :)

Guest guest

Hi Sassy Lou,

I was wondering if I have the same Hip replacement you had I had mind put in 4-20-2000 Zimmer Versys Feber and a Metal Midcoat stem sixe 14,a-3.5/20mm Metal head was used I just found out after I had a Spine x-ray that I have degenrative disc disease did you ever hear of this? Well you have a nice weekend:-)

Susie

-------------- Original message -------------- the cobalt chromium trials had to have been started in mid 1999. i am a wright medical guinea pig myself. they put mine in at the end of 99 >>> Finially found the article I was speaking of.... It is information offered by The hip & knee Institute a Dr. Huddleston in CA had noted. Anyways for those that are interested.... here's the link~HIP IMPLANT DESIGNS AND MATERIALS -- Arthritis Hip Surgery Info - Total Hip Replacement http://www.hipsandknees.com/hip/hipimplants.htmIt did quote the 2002 introduction date.... maybe that's the time it actually hit the market as "excepted" verse tested ? or just the time frame he as a physician started doing them I don't know.... I just remembered reading it somewhere.Happy walking to you all~ :) If your by chance having a bad day.... find yourself a smile, look in the first mirror you pass~ and question yourself..... don't you owe it to the person looking back at ya to make it a well spent experience ? Make a terrific day for yourself :)

Guest guest

Sassy, Thanks for the link for that article. It was very informative, >>> You very welcome sweetie. Hope it does help another to make their choices wisely...... there is so much information available though~ if your truly researching the choices for yourself.... it can be way over whelming trying to weigh the benefits verse draw backs.

Guest guest

I was wondering if I have the same Hip replacement you had I had mind put in 4-20-2000 Zimmer Versys Feber and a Metal Midcoat stem sixe 14,a-3.5/20mm Metal head was used >>> I'm not real certain of my specifics. Although I've got paperwork coming as per my family doctors request for not wanting to in the dark about matters. They went through the specifics but honestly I'm not one to remember stuff like that~ simple is often forgotten by me. LOL I know I started full ceramic on ceramic. Second operation was to add additional mounts to prevent the "slipping / shiftiing" for lack of better words I was experiencing with my socket. On third surgery doc was speaking about trading out implants, starting fresh & cementing but said he really wanted to avoid if at all possible because of my age and would see about things when he got in~ next thing I know.... I'm told stem was kept intact because it's stablized with no problems.... socket was exchanged for metal. I have some problems still yet with pain but not near as bad as I did before. Don't know if it's scar tissue related hip wise or what.... but even now I've got pains.

I just found out after I had a Spine x-ray that I have degenrative disc disease did you ever hear of this?

>>> My DDD was caught after my first operation.... I was doing great at the 6th month outside of having massive thigh spasms over my leg being lengthened & groin pain.

Went to therapy told the girls I'd been hurting pretty bad the past few days but was pushing myself to do exercises anyways..... 20 minutes into my regular routine my PT was like HONEY... lay on your stomache & push up on your arms while she was doing a "hold my butt down deal". I thought I was gonna die! They took me directly to X~ray and about crapped their pants because I was still doing my full PT routine with 3 herniated diskes.... but thats also when they diagnosis me with DDD. Knew I had curve due to limping but who wouldn't after 28 yrs. of it. degenrative disc disease (DDD) is not uncommon it's considered an "aging disease" as I've been told..... but the level of pain tends to increase with deteriation of the space between the disk. Bad posture & being over weight are two of the biggest causes for it. I've got serve damage to lumbar around L5 down and nearly always have a nice lil protruding herniation somewhere to be seen on x~ray~ usually ice & ten unit helps it.... the really bad days I'm at the doctor or hospital hearing "it's a flare up" they prescribe meds and I'm off to the bed for 3 to 10 days. Happy happy joy joy. LOL But I have tried the lumbar steriod injections for it, electronic injections of some crap that started with a D, back brace, specificied PT orders to try to strengthen my back to see if it helped to change anything, other then having a surgery to snip diskes and get a rod, have a pain pump implant done.... or starting a pain med "maintainence program"~ which translates to stay doped up even when your not hurting! We've tried everything to fix mine.... still does it's thing and I do mine! Here's a few really nice information sites regarding DDD if your still new to the researching.

What is Degenerative Disc Disease?

http://www.charitedisc.com/charitedev/domestic/patients/movies/movie_DDD.htm

****Really neat site because it has actual media demo's available to explain what's happening the specific conditions~ just pick the DDD

Degenerative Disc Disease Condition Center

http://www.spineuniverse.com/newsregister.html?frompage=/displayarticle.php/article42.html

I've not got many DDD sites saved on disk to share, but you can do a search yourself..... just check under the various forms of looking it up DDD, degenerative diseases, spine disorders.... if you have problems finding anything let me know and I'll look it up and send it to ya. :) There are several treatments available though depending upon how bad yours is~

Guest guest

Just to clarify some stuff I noticedon this thread-

1. Metal-on-metal approved implants

There are many FDA approved metal-on-metal THA implants in the U.S. .

These include:

Depuy/J & J

Biomet

Medical

Zimmer (Sulzer product)

Encore

I believe that only Biomet and medical have large diameter

(>38mm) femoral heads available.

Other companies have FDA trials for metal-on-metal resurfacing ongoing

which use large diameters.

2. Versys Hips

The Zimmer Versys Fibermetal Midcoat stem from 2000 only was paired

with polyethylene only. It is one of Zimmer's highest selling hip

stems.

3. CoCr/Titanium

Cobalt chrome(CoCr) is an alloy that is similar to stainless steel.

Most are actually made from Cobalt, Chromium, and Molybdenum. They

are completely different from titanium alloy implants which is a much

lighter alloy. Most are made from Titanium, Aluminum, and Vanadium.

In the early days of total joints, most implants were made from

Vitallium - which is a brandname CoCr manufactured by Howmedica since

the 1930's (company called Austenal then)

Titanium implants were first used in Europe in the 1960's, but didn't

become popular in the U.S. until the 1980's (thanks to Biomet).

The first metal on metal hips - McKee-Farrar and Ring hips from the

late 1960's were made from Vitallium (CoCr) initially by Howmedica.

Then Zimmer made some from their version of CoCr alloy that they

called 'Zimaloy'.

Titanium makes a poor bearing surface (as proven by the poor

performance of the DF-80 hip and the -Galante knee in the

1980's). So all metal bearings currently use CoCr. This includes

metal on poly and metal-on-metal. The modern U.S. metal-on-metal

technology dates back to 1999 when the Sulzer Metasul bearing got FDA

approval.

4. DDD and back arthritis

Low back conditions can often mimic or mask hip disease. Many

patients get THAs but still complain of pain because it was radiating

from their low back the whole time. True hip disease manifests mostly

as groin pain with some anterior thigh radiation (even to the knee!).

Some low back problems present as buttocks and back of the thigh pain.

It is important to distinguish this so we don't treat the wrong

pathology. Unfortunately, with advancing age, both hip and low back

problems become more common.

On 7/11/05, SassyLouYou@... <SassyLouYou@...> wrote:

> I was wondering if I have the same Hip replacement you had I had mind put in

> 4-20-2000 Zimmer Versys Feber and a Metal Midcoat stem sixe 14,a-3.5/20mm

> Metal head was used >>> I'm not real certain of my specifics. Although I've

> got paperwork coming as per my family doctors request for not wanting to in

> the dark about matters. They went through the specifics but honestly I'm

> not one to remember stuff like that~ simple is often forgotten by me. LOL

> I know I started full ceramic on ceramic. Second operation was to add

> additional mounts to prevent the " slipping / shiftiing " for lack of better

> words I was experiencing with my socket. On third surgery doc was speaking

> about trading out implants, starting fresh & cementing but said he really

> wanted to avoid if at all possible because of my age and would see about

> things when he got in~ next thing I know.... I'm told stem was kept intact

> because it's stablized with no problems.... socket was exchanged for metal.

> I have some problems still yet with pain but not near as bad as I did

> before. Don't know if it's scar tissue related hip wise or what.... but

> even now I've got pains.

>

> I just found out after I had a Spine x-ray that I have degenrative disc

> disease did you ever hear of this?

> >>> My DDD was caught after my first operation.... I was doing great at the

> 6th month outside of having massive thigh spasms over my leg being

> lengthened & groin pain.

> Went to therapy told the girls I'd been hurting pretty bad the past few days

> but was pushing myself to do exercises anyways..... 20 minutes into my

> regular routine my PT was like HONEY... lay on your stomache & push up on

> your arms while she was doing a " hold my butt down deal " . I thought I was

> gonna die! They took me directly to X~ray and about crapped their pants

> because I was still doing my full PT routine with 3 herniated diskes.... but

> thats also when they diagnosis me with DDD. Knew I had curve due to limping

> but who wouldn't after 28 yrs. of it. degenrative disc disease (DDD) is not

> uncommon it's considered an " aging disease " as I've been told..... but the

> level of pain tends to increase with deteriation of the space between the

> disk. Bad posture & being over weight are two of the biggest causes for it.

> I've got serve damage to lumbar around L5 down and nearly always have a

> nice lil protruding herniation somewhere to be seen on x~ray~ usually ice &

> ten unit helps it.... the really bad days I'm at the doctor or hospital

> hearing " it's a flare up " they prescribe meds and I'm off to the bed for 3

> to 10 days. Happy happy joy joy. LOL But I have tried the lumbar steriod

> injections for it, electronic injections of some crap that started with a D,

> back brace, specificied PT orders to try to strengthen my back to see if it

> helped to change anything, other then having a surgery to snip diskes and

> get a rod, have a pain pump implant done.... or starting a pain med

> " maintainence program " ~ which translates to stay doped up even when your not

> hurting! We've tried everything to fix mine.... still does it's thing and I

> do mine! Here's a few really nice information sites regarding DDD if your

> still new to the researching.

>

> What is Degenerative Disc Disease?

> http://www.charitedisc.com/charitedev/domestic/patients/movies/movie_DDD.htm

> ****Really neat site because it has actual media demo's available to explain

> what's happening the specific conditions~ just pick the DDD

>

> Degenerative Disc Disease Condition Center

>

http://www.spineuniverse.com/newsregister.html?frompage=/displayarticle.php/arti\

cle42.html

>

> I've not got many DDD sites saved on disk to share, but you can do a search

> yourself..... just check under the various forms of looking it up DDD,

> degenerative diseases, spine disorders.... if you have problems finding

> anything let me know and I'll look it up and send it to ya. :) There are

> several treatments available though depending upon how bad yours is~

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Sassy Lou.

Thanks for sending me that information I also have DDD but its Mild to Moderate c4-5,c5-6and c6-7 degenerative disc disease changes is this what you have ? and subtle grade 1 c4-5 degererative spondylolisthesis and also Advanced c4-5 hypertrophic uncovertebral joint arthropathy with secondary narrowing of the neural foramina bilaterally does any of this make sense to you ? and from this my dr says I have bad arthritis in my spine and a pinch nerve . I wish they would use simple words .Well you take care and have a nice day.

Susie

-------------- Original message -------------- I was wondering if I have the same Hip replacement you had I had mind put in 4-20-2000 Zimmer Versys Feber and a Metal Midcoat stem sixe 14,a-3.5/20mm Metal head was used >>> I'm not real certain of my specifics. Although I've got paperwork coming as per my family doctors request for not wanting to in the dark about matters. They went through the specifics but honestly I'm not one to remember stuff like that~ simple is often forgotten by me. LOL I know I started full ceramic on ceramic. Second operation was to add additional mounts to prevent the "slipping / shiftiing" for lack of better words I was experiencing with my socket. On third surgery doc was speaking about trading out implants, starting fresh & cementing but said he really wanted to avoid if at all possible because of my age and would see about things when he got in~ next thing I know.... I'm told stem was kept intact because it's stablized with no problems.... socket was exchanged for metal. I have some problems still yet with pain but not near as bad as I did before. Don't know if it's scar tissue related hip wise or what.... but even now I've got pains. I just found out after I had a Spine x-ray that I have degenrative disc disease did you ever hear of this? >>> My DDD was caught after my first operation.... I was doing great at the 6th month outside of having massive thigh spasms over my leg being lengthened & groin pain. Went to therapy told the girls I'd been hurting pretty bad the past few days but was pushing myself to do exercises anyways..... 20 minutes into my regular routine my PT was like HONEY... lay on your stomache & push up on your arms while she was doing a "hold my butt down deal". I thought I was gonna die! They took me directly to X~ray and about crapped their pants because I was still doing my full PT routine with 3 herniated diskes.... but thats also when they diagnosis me with DDD. Knew I had curve due to limping but who wouldn't after 28 yrs. of it. degenrative disc disease (DDD) is not uncommon it's considered an "aging disease" as I've been told..... but the level of pain tends to increase with deteriation of the space between the disk. Bad posture & being over weight are two of the biggest causes for it. I've got serve damage to lumbar around L5 down and nearly always have a nice lil protruding herniation somewhere to be seen on x~ray~ usually ice & ten unit helps it.... the really bad days I'm at the doctor or hospital hearing "it's a flare up" they prescribe meds and I'm off to the bed for 3 to 10 days. Happy happy joy joy. LOL But I have tried the lumbar steriod injections for it, electronic injections of some crap that started with a D, back brace, specificied PT orders to try to strengthen my back to see if it helped to change anything, other then having a surgery to snip diskes and get a rod, have a pain pump implant done.... or starting a pain med "maintainence program"~ which translates to stay doped up even when your not hurting! We've tried everything to fix mine.... still does it's thing and I do mine! Here's a few really nice information sites regarding DDD if your still new to the researching. What is Degenerative Disc Disease? http://www.charitedisc.com/charitedev/domestic/patients/movies/movie_DDD.htm****Really neat site because it has actual media demo's available to explain what's happening the specific conditions~ just pick the DDDDegenerative Disc Disease Condition Center http://www.spineuniverse.com/newsregister.html?frompage=/displayarticle.php/article42.htmlI've not got many DDD sites saved on disk to share, but you can do a search yourself..... just check under the various forms of looking it up DDD, degenerative diseases, spine disorders.... if you have problems finding anything let me know and I'll look it up and send it to ya. :) There are several treatments available though depending upon how bad yours is~

Guest guest

i too fought with back pain for the last several years even with my mobility limited by other problems. i tried three sets of the injections with no relief . they also did a laminectomy and the pain was only reduced for about a year. this january i spinal fusion done to fix the problem. it was supposed to be a three level fusion but when got done it was a five level. my back has not felt this good in years. my ability to bend is not limited any more than it was by the pain before. they normally don't like to do that many levels and with my age they really don't like it, where have i heard that before,but the results have been great so far

Guest guest

I also have DDD but its Mild to Moderate c4-5,c5-6and c6-7 degenerative disc disease changes is this what you have ? >>> My actual diagnosis is moderate to sever facet arthropathy of lumbar. Noted curve with normal alignment. I also have paracentral disc protrusion L5~S1 effacing anteriro thecal sac & neural foramina. Good news is I still have space between my vertebral unlike some.... But it boils down & translates basically to... Arthritis in the spin with discs that like to herniate at the drop of a hat. Yours being C is neck related.... whereas mine being L is lower back. Although it's the same diagnosis in a sense because of it being DDD their very different. Some makes sense to me but no honestly I don't know it all... these are what I do know. Bareing my termnology hasn't went to crap~ course that goes to the old saying... don't use it you loose it too... but I'm pretty sure. Spondylolisthesis is when a vertebrea slips over the one below it. Hypertrophic~ is merely an increase in size without a tumor formation. Joint arthropathy just means you have a disease of the joints. Neural is relating to the nerves or connected with the nevrous system... foramina means numberous openings between the neural arch & body of the vertebraes. Any of the "professionals" which know differently can point out my errors.... but that's to the best of my knowledge of it. :)

I have bad arthritis in my spine and a pinch nerve I wish they would use simple words >>> Understand exactly how that the back problems work.... hope we both find relief one day sweetie.... but in truth it's not gonna get any better for either of us. Try to find yourself a means of effective treatment though that helps to relieve some of your pain. I've started with pain patches as needed and use my tens unit... even that though don't work on occasions. Hope you find relief sweetie.... bad back sticks but with bad leg.... makes for lil worse day on occasion. As to not understanding your doctors terms.... just point blank say "excuse me... I don't understand could you kindly tell me in a different manner which I might comperhend... I'd really like to know what the problem is with my health & I just honestly didn't understand all that". Always question if you don't understand.... if their a good doctor~ they'll take the time needed to help you understand in simplier terms. :)

Guest guest

they also did a laminectomy and the pain was only reduced for about a year. this january i spinal fusion done to fix the problem. >>> What exactly is the laminectomy procedure? And why did it only last you for a year, is it just a temperary fix or your failed ? They've not talked to me about fusion but they have tried talking me into having the side of 3~5 disk removed & a rod implanted..... what exactly did they do on your fusion if you don't mind me asking ?