RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: (unknown)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am talking about a child with a diagnosis, they cannot deny testing if the child is struggling...they don't have to be failing or even have bad grades...you just have to show that they need assistance of some sort. So a child with a diagnosis of ADHD, Aspergers, Tourette syndrome or any other condition that would effect any major aspect of their life (academic, social, organizational, etc...)the school cannot, by law, deny testing. Even a child without a diagnosis can be tested is a disability is suspected.

No a disability does not mean an IEP but if the child is struggling then a 504 can be put in place. In our case she had an IEP for speech and a 504 for academic needs. ALl of these needs should have been addressed on her IEP but the school refused to put all of her needs on her IEP and I could have fought it but as long as her needs were being met under a 504 I didn't care what initials they placed on it as long as she had her needs met.

I doubt that anyone with a child with no diagnosis and no problems in school would ask of testing.

Vicki

-- ( ) (unknown)> > > > > Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,> capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I> quit my job to homeschool and I can't say I really know what i'm doing. His> dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be> appreciated. Shirley>

Guest guest

Your first sentence said two things at once and that is what I am trying to separate. A child with a dx does not automatically get tested or services/qualified. If a child is struggling, whether they have a dx or not, they usually get tested. Those are two different qualifications and they don't mean the same thing or equal the same thing.

As for a dx meaning a 504, I think I already said that.

As for people with no dx and no problems asking for testing, I wouldn't know about that. I only have dealt with people who have problems and need help at school. And it is not a simple matter of asking and receiving at all. There are many learning disabilities out there where it is not clear cut and where schools often refuse to test, saying there is no problem. The point is, schools do not have to test every kid and some schools will put up roadblocks to doing that. Parents definitely should know their rights and argue this, if it happens to them. But you can't say that the law guarantees that they will always test kids because it doesn't. And there are many shades of "struggling" before some schools will admit testing is needed at all. I think most schools would not deny testing because it is just easier to test and say he doesn't need help. I think that scenario is probably more likely. But for many kids - especially kids who are gifted - it is not at all clear cut.

I agree that having a dx of these things should automatically qualify for things but unfortunately, that isn't so. And the proof that it doesn't is in the original email sent in. You can say a school "can't" but a school did. And this is hardly the first time this has been asked on this list.

Roxanna

"I

predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

( ) (unknown)

>

>

>

>

> Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,

> capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I

> quit my job to homeschool and I can't say I really know what i'm doing. His

> dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be

> appreciated. Shirley

>

Guest guest

We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. I am a paralegal and am and advocate for the Tourette Syndrome Association in and am in training to become and advocate at InSource...I do know a little about what I am saying

If a child had a rhetoric and is struggling either in academics or socially and a parent requests testing then the school has to test or they have to pay to have the tests done. If the child is struggling and there is no diagnosis and the parent requests testing the school has to test. This testing doesn't mean that they qualify for an IEP and if they don't then a 504 can be put into place.

Yes, sadly, schools will put up road blocks and and even flat out lie. That is why I want to emphasize to everyone reading this...know the law, know your rights and don't take no for an answer.

I sat through my daughter's last meeting listening to all of their rhetoric and when they were done I pulled out my own copy of the Special Education Rules, Title 511, Article 7, rules 32-47 of the Indiana Department of Education Center for Exceptional Learners and Office of Special Education. And I read THE LAW to them...which basically disproved everything that they just said and they immediately ended the meeting and rescheduled it when Director of the Special Education could be present because she is also an attorney.

When the meeting was reconvened I got the accommodations that I asked for and suddenly there were openings in the inclusion classes for my daughter where as at thew first meeting there was not.

Vicki

-- ( ) (unknown)> > > > > Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,> capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I> quit my job to homeschool and I can't say I really know what i'm doing. His> dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be> appreciated. Shirley>

Guest guest

I am afraid I won't agree to disagree with you. You are mixing two things into one, which is what I tried to explain. You say if a child has a disability and is struggling, they will have to be evaluated. I said those are not always the same thing. They are required to evaluate all kids who might have a disability and need special education services. But if you show up with a dx, it doesn't necessarily mean they will agree to test. Kids with SLD's or AS kids who are gifted are two categories where proving need for evaluation can be difficult. Most schools will evaluate just to comply with child find. But some will play hard ball from the start and say the child is not struggling "enough" or at all and does not need to be evaluated. This original email is one example.

Roxanna

"I

predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

( ) (unknown)

>

>

>

>

> Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,

> capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I

> quit my job to homeschool and I can't say I really know what i'm doing. His

> dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be

> appreciated. Shirley

>

Guest guest

Oh he was tested by the school. But as I said, he is very very bright on paper. He has no hearing loss, his problem is in the processing and the verbal memory area. At 10 he could do 17 year old Algebra, but couldn't remember to put 1 red block in the box. The fight went on for the better part of 2 years. He was stressing out so bad in school he was tearing his toenails off in class. He relies on lips for verbal comprehension and without help taking notes he loses the teacher the first time he drops his head to write. Kids were so mean to him. They stole his glasses, kicked him down steps, threw him in mud puddles, called him gay and a fag. It was very mean. I don't think he wants back in there. His dad won't agree to let me move him to another school district, but I ask the judge if I can

move in November. Until then, I'm stuck with homeschooling and to be honest I hate it. Can someone tell me how their aspie child acts? He can be so hard to deal with one day and a breeze the next. Shirley

From: Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 4:21:32 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

I am afraid I won't agree to disagree with you. You are mixing two things into one, which is what I tried to explain. You say if a child has a disability and is struggling, they will have to be evaluated. I said those are not always the same thing. They are required to evaluate all kids who might have a disability and need special education services. But if you show up with a dx, it doesn't necessarily mean they will agree to test. Kids with SLD's or AS kids who are gifted are two categories where proving need for evaluation can be difficult. Most schools will evaluate just to comply with child find. But some will play hard ball from the start and say the child is not struggling "enough" or at all and does not need to be evaluated. This original email is one example.

Roxanna"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

( ) (unknown)> > > > > Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,> capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I> quit my job to homeschool and I

can't say I really know what i'm doing. His> dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be> appreciated. Shirley>

Guest guest

Just want to reiterate that denial of an IEP does not automatically mean a 504 will be put in place. There is a separate process for request of a 504 and there has to be proof of discrimination. To the original poster, please contact your local Parent Information Training Center to access an advocate and/or information. Pam :)

In a message dated 9/13/2010 9:00:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mom2emsar@... writes:

No a disability does not mean an IEP but if the child is struggling then a 504 can be put in place.

Guest guest

Do you know of ANY (due process or court) rulings supporting your claim?

Schools get away with a lot of things. Many schools strong arm parents when

there is the slightest bit of gray in the law, and they can make the decision

not to test with ANY child. The question is whether or not they will be able to

justify it in due process and in court. IMHO, if a child has an outside

diagnosis of a disability in hand, a school system will have a very hard time

claiming that their own testing isn't needed UNLESS they accept the diagnosis

the parent brings to the table.

Furthermore, these twice exceptional children also have protections under the

504 system and the Americans with Disabilities act, so generally speaking if

they have a parent willing to fight for their child's rights, it is in the

school system's best interest to do their own testing and use it to claim that

the child doesn't need help or isn't really disabled.

IMHO, if a parent puts the requests in writing and plays the legal game, the

school system will either do the testing or the parent will win the right to

have the testing done in due process.

-

> >

> > The School cannot deny you help under the federal law IDEA....if there is a

> > diagnosis then he has to be tested and if he is found not to have a learning

> > disability he can still receive help under the Other health impairment

> > section (OHI as it is known to the schools) And if he does not qualify for

> > an IEP you can at least get a 504 and list as many accommodations as needed.

> > My daughter has a 504 and it has really helped her.

> >

> > My suggestion to you if you e ver put him back in the public schoo l system

> > you need to request testing in writing and if they deny you ask for it in

> > writing...they won't do it and they will test him. I can write a book on

> > all of this but won;t take the time since he is home schooled ,,,,but it he

> > ever goes back you need to familiarize yourself with your right under state

> > and federal law...believe me they are hoping that you don't know your right

> > so learn them!!

> >

> > Vicki

> >

> > -- ( ) (unknown)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,

> > capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I

> > quit my job to homeschool and I can't say I really know what i'm doing. His

> > dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be

> > appreciated. Shirley

> >

>

Guest guest

I didn't know that part, Pam, thanks! Seems like a lot of school just automatically say, "We can give you a 504" almost like it's a consolation prize for not getting an IEP. lol. At least that is how they did it here for people. Of course, some kids only need a 504 plan and it works fine.

Roxanna

"I

Re: ( ) (unknown)

Just want to reiterate that denial of an IEP does not automatically mean a 504 will be put in place. There is a separate process for request of a 504 and there has to be proof of discrimination. To the original poster, please contact your local Parent Information Training Center to access an advocate and/or information. Pam :)

In a message dated 9/13/2010 9:00:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mom2emsar@... writes:

No a disability does not mean an IEP but if the child is struggling then a 504 can be put in place.

Guest guest

Hi Shirley,

It's Cathleen again. I can relate to this too. I had to move my child to another school because the one he was at was horrible. The teacher and principal had no idea what ADHD was let alone Aspergers. The teacher called him "quirky" and "I've never seen aanything like it before"!!! I moved my son and the new school is a lot more accomodating. We have an IEP tomorrow. Have you thought of doing an IEP?

Cathleen

From: Shirley <shirleycarter80@...> Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 4:42:25 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Oh he was tested by the school. But as I said, he is very very bright on paper. He has no hearing loss, his problem is in the processing and the verbal memory area. At 10 he could do 17 year old Algebra, but couldn't remember to put 1 red block in the box. The fight went on for the better part of 2 years. He was stressing out so bad in school he was tearing his toenails off in class. He relies on lips for verbal comprehension and without help taking notes he loses the teacher the first time he drops his head to write. Kids were so mean to him. They stole his glasses, kicked him down steps, threw him in mud puddles, called him gay and a fag. It was very mean. I don't think he wants back in there. His dad won't agree to let me move him to another school district, but I ask the judge if I can move in November. Until then, I'm stuck with homeschooling and to be honest I hate it. Can someone tell me how their aspie child acts? He can be so hard to

deal with one day and a breeze the next. Shirley

From: Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 4:21:32 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Roxanna"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

( ) (unknown)> > > > > Hi, My name is Shirley and my son's name is DJ. He's 12. He has Asperger's,> capd, ocd and adhd. He's very bright so the school denied him assistance. I> quit my job to homeschool and I

can't say I really know what i'm doing. His> dad doesn't help with this. He is in total denial. Any adivce would be> appreciated. Shirley>

Guest guest

What do you mean, the processor doesnt fit? Is it the Freedom or N5

processor? It does not make sense that you would get an upgrade that will

not work with the N24.

Quote of the nanosecond. . .

Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

& Dreamer Doll ke7nwn

E-mail-

rclark0276@...

Home Page-

http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

(unknown)

I was going to get the newest sound processor today but it didn´t fit my

24 implant. Now I don´t have any because my dog ate the other. I have paid

for a newer device but but I was told that I can´T have it until

January-February. They will give me a loan device until then. I think it

is terrible that I have paid for it but then can´t have it. I want to know

when the program comes. Thank you. Ásdís

Guest guest

To Shirley- As to how other Aspie kids act. Mine spins around, moved his hands and fingers around constantly, rocks back and forth, avoids other kids or when he is interacting with kids, he's only talking about his video games. He needs his heavy jacket every day, even hot days, it makes him feel better. He is asocial, easily distracted, doesn't like noise or light. And some more, does that sound familiar to you?

Cathleen

From: Cathleen Veloria <cathleen.veloria@...> Sent: Tue, September 14, 2010 9:48:10 AMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Hi Shirley,

It's Cathleen again. I can relate to this too. I had to move my child to another school because the one he was at was horrible. The teacher and principal had no idea what ADHD was let alone Aspergers. The teacher called him "quirky" and "I've never seen aanything like it before"!!! I moved my son and the new school is a lot more accomodating. We have an IEP tomorrow. Have you thought of doing an IEP?

Cathleen

From: Shirley <shirleycarter80@...> Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 4:42:25 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Oh he was tested by the school. But as I said, he is very very bright on paper. He has no hearing loss, his problem is in the processing and the verbal memory area. At 10 he could do 17 year old Algebra, but couldn't remember to put 1 red block in the box. The fight went on for the better part of 2 years. He was stressing out so bad in school he was tearing his toenails off in class. He relies on lips for verbal comprehension and without help taking notes he loses the teacher the first time he drops his head to write. Kids were so mean to him. They stole his glasses, kicked him down steps, threw him in mud puddles, called him gay and a fag. It was very mean. I don't think he wants back in there. His dad won't agree to let me move him to another school district, but I ask the judge if I can move in November. Until then, I'm stuck with homeschooling and to be honest I hate it. Can someone tell me how their aspie child acts? He can be so hard to

Guest guest

It is the N5 processor. I am a bit mad because I had to wait all summer.

This is why I wrote to you. My old processor was a Freedom. The implant

in my head is the N24. What is going on? Thank you for your help. I need

to get some answers now.

Ásdís

Þann 9/14/10 8:35 PM, skrifaði C:

>

> What do you mean, the processor doesnt fit? Is it the Freedom or N5

> processor? It does not make sense that you would get an upgrade that will

> not work with the N24.

>

> Quote of the nanosecond. . .

> Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

> & Dreamer Doll ke7nwn

> E-mail-

> rclark0276@... <mailto:rclark0276%40charter.net>

> Home Page-

> http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

>

> (unknown)

>

> I was going to get the newest sound processor today but it didn´t fit my

> 24 implant. Now I don´t have any because my dog ate the other. I have

> paid

> for a newer device but but I was told that I can´T have it until

> January-February. They will give me a loan device until then. I think it

> is terrible that I have paid for it but then can´t have it. I want to

> know

> when the program comes. Thank you. Ásdís

>

>

Guest guest

N5 processors are not ready to be launched for the N24 implant receipents until

sometime in 2011 or longer pending software and clinical trials

Snoopy

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Re: (unknown)

It is the N5 processor. I am a bit mad because I had to wait all summer.

This is why I wrote to you. My old processor was a Freedom. The implant

in my head is the N24. What is going on? Thank you for your help. I need

to get some answers now.

Ásdís

Þann 9/14/10 8:35 PM, skrifaði C:

>

> What do you mean, the processor doesnt fit? Is it the Freedom or N5

> processor? It does not make sense that you would get an upgrade that will

> not work with the N24.

>

> Quote of the nanosecond. . .

> Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

> & Dreamer Doll ke7nwn

> E-mail-

> rclark0276@... <mailto:rclark0276%40charter.net>

> Home Page-

> http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

>

> (unknown)

>

> I was going to get the newest sound processor today but it didn´t fit my

> 24 implant. Now I don´t have any because my dog ate the other. I have

> paid

> for a newer device but but I was told that I can´T have it until

> January-February. They will give me a loan device until then. I think it

> is terrible that I have paid for it but then can´t have it. I want to

> know

> when the program comes. Thank you. Ásdís

>

>

Guest guest

Hello Lana, are you new? If so, feel free to ask any and all questions you have of this great group!Or just vent : ) Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)From: Lana <keithakia1@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Thu, September 16, 2010 1:22:41 PMSubject: (unknown)

hello

Guest guest

Hi Lana,

Casting day is different at each center. I can send you what we do in Chicago, but it really may be different at your facility. I will send it off post anyway so you have an idea. Good Luck and ask if you need anything! Catie,Cody(9) & 's(21mo)mom (in 5th cast 35*out of cast started at 67*) proudly at Chicago Shriners

From: Lana <keithakia1@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Thu, September 16, 2010 3:26:17 PMSubject: (unknown)

hello my name is lana im new to the group and i wanted to know what experinces you all have had with the casting. my daughter is 11 months and she has a 70 degree curve and is due to be put in a cast next friday. wanted to know how your day in the hospital was and how long it took for your child to adjust and what can you do to help your child be more comfortable.

Guest guest

Lana,

We just had our daughter's first cast done on Tues at Shriner's Chicago. We were

freaked out beyond belief. That said the worst part hands down was when she was

waking up from the anethesia. Wow. I hated to hear her cry from the waiting

area. That was tough. My daughter has been beyond amazing. Everyone told me she

would be but I was in doubt. I am a believer now. When we got home she sat on

the couch and watched TV. The next morning she was rollin over, trying to crawl,

kneeling, pulling herself up and was starting to walk around furniture. By the

third day she was fully crawling, climbed into her chair and mush more steady on

her feet. She still has some touble sittng up by herself. She prefers to have

her back up against a pillow, wall, door, whatever but she has sat up with out

those for longer and longer periods but it does appear to be uncomfortable for

her. My daughter was not fully walking before first cast so can't help with

that. She did take about 4-5 steps yesterday all by herself which we were

thrilled to see. Kids really adjust well. I am amazed. We kept her out of

daycare all week and she would have been able to go back today, her third full

day post cast.

hang in there. You are doing the right thing.

Kiya, 21 months, 50 + out of cast, 15* in first cast

>

> Hi Lana,

>      Casting day is different at each center.  I can send you what we do

in

> Chicago, but it really may be different at your facility.  I will send it off

> post anyway so you have an idea.  Good Luck and ask if you need anything! 

>

>  Catie,Cody(9) & 's(21mo)mom (in 5th cast 35*out of cast started at

67*)

> proudly at Chicago Shriners

>

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Lana <keithakia1@...>

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Sent: Thu, September 16, 2010 3:26:17 PM

> Subject: (unknown)

>

>  

> hello my name is lana im new to the group and i wanted to know what experinces

> you all have had with the casting. my daughter is 11 months and she has a 70

> degree curve and is due to be put in a cast next friday. wanted to know how

your

> day in the hospital was and how long it took for your child to adjust and

what

> can you do to help your child be more comfortable.

>

Guest guest

Hi Lana,Can't remember if I'm repeating myself here, but on the home page of www.infantilescoliosis.org there is a link in blue on the upper left hand side that reads "What to Expect..." - that will open a document that contains some general parent advice and info for the first casting day. Hope that helps.Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)From: cjustl <cjustl@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Fri, September 17, 2010 6:17:47 AMSubject: Re: (unknown)

Lana,

We just had our daughter's first cast done on Tues at Shriner's Chicago. We were freaked out beyond belief. That said the worst part hands down was when she was waking up from the anethesia. Wow. I hated to hear her cry from the waiting area. That was tough. My daughter has been beyond amazing. Everyone told me she would be but I was in doubt. I am a believer now. When we got home she sat on the couch and watched TV. The next morning she was rollin over, trying to crawl, kneeling, pulling herself up and was starting to walk around furniture. By the third day she was fully crawling, climbed into her chair and mush more steady on her feet. She still has some touble sittng up by herself. She prefers to have her back up against a pillow, wall, door, whatever but she has sat up with out those for longer and longer periods but it does appear to be uncomfortable for her. My daughter was not fully walking before first cast so can't help with that. She did take

about 4-5 steps yesterday all by herself which we were thrilled to see. Kids really adjust well. I am amazed. We kept her out of daycare all week and she would have been able to go back today, her third full day post cast.

>

> Hi Lana,

>     Casting day is different at each center. I can send you what we do in

> Chicago, but it really may be different at your facility. I will send it off

> post anyway so you have an idea. Good Luck and ask if you need anything!Â

>

> Â Catie,Cody(9) & 's(21mo)mom (in 5th cast 35*out of cast started at 67*)

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Â

> hello my name is lana im new to the group and i wanted to know what experinces

> degree curve and is due to be put in a cast next friday. wanted to know how your

> day in the hospital was and how long it took for your child to adjust and what

>

Guest guest

Hi Lana,Can't remember if I'm repeating myself here, but on the home page of www.infantilescoliosis.org there is a link in blue on the upper left hand side that reads "What to Expect..." - that will open a document that contains some general parent advice and info for the first casting day. Hope that helps.Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)From: cjustl <cjustl@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Fri, September 17, 2010 6:17:47 AMSubject: Re: (unknown)

Lana,

We just had our daughter's first cast done on Tues at Shriner's Chicago. We were freaked out beyond belief. That said the worst part hands down was when she was waking up from the anethesia. Wow. I hated to hear her cry from the waiting area. That was tough. My daughter has been beyond amazing. Everyone told me she would be but I was in doubt. I am a believer now. When we got home she sat on the couch and watched TV. The next morning she was rollin over, trying to crawl, kneeling, pulling herself up and was starting to walk around furniture. By the third day she was fully crawling, climbed into her chair and mush more steady on her feet. She still has some touble sittng up by herself. She prefers to have her back up against a pillow, wall, door, whatever but she has sat up with out those for longer and longer periods but it does appear to be uncomfortable for her. My daughter was not fully walking before first cast so can't help with that. She did take

about 4-5 steps yesterday all by herself which we were thrilled to see. Kids really adjust well. I am amazed. We kept her out of daycare all week and she would have been able to go back today, her third full day post cast.

>

> Hi Lana,

>     Casting day is different at each center. I can send you what we do in

> Chicago, but it really may be different at your facility. I will send it off

> post anyway so you have an idea. Good Luck and ask if you need anything!Â

>

> Â Catie,Cody(9) & 's(21mo)mom (in 5th cast 35*out of cast started at 67*)

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Â

> degree curve and is due to be put in a cast next friday. wanted to know how your

> day in the hospital was and how long it took for your child to adjust and what

>

Guest guest

This sounds so much like my son! He doesnt spin around, he does this little dance thing with his hands kind of claw like. I wish we could get together. It would be great talking to someone who understands.

From: Cathleen Veloria <cathleen.veloria@...> Sent: Tue, September 14, 2010 2:10:38 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

To Shirley- As to how other Aspie kids act. Mine spins around, moved his hands and fingers around constantly, rocks back and forth, avoids other kids or when he is interacting with kids, he's only talking about his video games. He needs his heavy jacket every day, even hot days, it makes him feel better. He is asocial, easily distracted, doesn't like noise or light. And some more, does that sound familiar to you?

Cathleen

From: Cathleen Veloria <cathleen.veloria@...> Sent: Tue, September 14, 2010 9:48:10 AMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Hi Shirley,

Cathleen

Guest guest

Welcome to CAST Lana! You have found an amazing group so ask any and all questions and you'll always get plenty of advice! We also started at 70* but my daughter was almost 23 months when we began in July 2009. Everyone has a slightly different experience but I will say, it will be much harder on you than your child. The only tough part for Isabella is waking up from the anesthesia. We didn't have any problems with walking since she already was walking before casting. If your child is walking or starts to walk soon, you will just have to watch for a few weeks as they adjust to the weight of the cast because the kids are a little top heavy and we ended up with some pretty big bumps on the head. Each facility is different in handling casting day...

where are you going? You can find info on the home page of ISOP on what to expect the first day. Good luck and let us know how it went. Patty, mom of Isabella, 3 years old, in 7th scoli cast (Rochester) & mom to (9) & Evan(6)From: Lana <keithakia1@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Thu, September 16, 2010 4:26:17 PMSubject: (unknown)

hello my name is lana im new to the group and i wanted to know what experinces you all have had with the casting. my daughter is 11 months and she has a 70 degree curve and is due to be put in a cast next friday. wanted to know how your day in the hospital was and how long it took for your child to adjust and what can you do to help your child be more comfortable.

Guest guest

Where are you from? I'm from San Diego. I would love to get together too. I'm new to this and it's very comforting to talk like this and get troubles off my shoulders. If you ever want to talk direct I'm online with mail for instant chatting. I'm not sure how to sign up but it's great to talk to someone in real time.

Cathleen

From: <pussycat6969155@...> Sent: Mon, September 20, 2010 1:22:42 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

This sounds so much like my son! He doesnt spin around, he does this little dance thing with his hands kind of claw like. I wish we could get together. It would be great talking to someone who understands.

From: Cathleen Veloria <cathleen.veloria@...> Sent: Tue, September 14, 2010 2:10:38 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Cathleen

Hi Shirley,

Cathleen

Guest guest

and cathleen,

Yes my son spins around alot too and never seems to get dizzy. His play is just horrible. The minute a child does not want to play what he wants to play, he's done and off on his own. When he stays overnight with someone he won't ask for food or drink. He text me and I have to call and say he's hungry and thirsty. he's interested in only what he's interested in.

I tried to get him an IEP. They denied him because he is smart on paper. Kids do really mean things to him at school and he thinks they are playing. He thinks they want to be his friend. One day he came home and said some kid likes him but he doesn't want to play with him. I said well if he likes you why? He said i don't know but he does like me. He say's I'm gay but he wouldn't play with me. Isn't that sad? We had to have a talk about gay.

From: <pussycat6969155@...> Sent: Mon, September 20, 2010 1:22:42 PMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

Cathleen

Hi Shirley,

Cathleen

Guest guest

Shirley,

That is indeed sad. In a way it's a blessing he doesn't get the social cues that's he's being made fun of. We're in 2nd grade, kinda early, but I'm waiting for that day to come where someone is making fun of him. Right now they just ignore him. I think I'm going to ask the teacher for help when the time comes (if it does). It's hard on her with 29 other kids. And what if I have a teacher who doesn't care about the kids making fun of him? Right now our teacher is nice and likes Dylan. Can you approach your teacher? Is the teacher nice and nurturing type?

Cathleen

From: Shirley <shirleycarter80@...> Sent: Tue, September 21, 2010 6:27:05 AMSubject: Re: ( ) (unknown)

and cathleen,

Yes my son spins around alot too and never seems to get dizzy. His play is just horrible. The minute a child does not want to play what he wants to play, he's done and off on his own. When he stays overnight with someone he won't ask for food or drink. He text me and I have to call and say he's hungry and thirsty. he's interested in only what he's interested in.

I tried to get him an IEP. They denied him because he is smart on paper. Kids do really mean things to him at school and he thinks they are playing. He thinks they want to be his friend. One day he came home and said some kid likes him but he doesn't want to play with him. I said well if he likes you why? He said i don't know but he does like me. He say's I'm gay but he wouldn't play with me. Isn't that sad? We had to have a talk about gay.

Cathleen

Hi Shirley,

Cathleen

Guest guest

I don't want to sound like I am not about natural remedies, because

I am, but if you do not see a marked difference in a day or so...

Please take him to a ped. MRSA is nothing to play with and spreads

quickly once inside the body. It usually takes a combination of

antibiotics to get rid off. You did say it was his stomach right?

Or at least have a swab done to see if it is MRSA just to be on the

safe side. You have gotten a wealth of info and I have also learned

some great advice too. I just got over a long bout with cellulitis

from the elbow. Hope all is well soon!

Blessings!

On 9/21/2010 1:03 PM, terri miller wrote:

thanks to all for reminders and advice

our health store was open today so we

went--- who runs the store is a wealth of

knowledge; he said on sight he felt it is MRSA

we came home with silver gel, silver liquid

and a natural antibiotic powder

I'm praying for remarkable results.

THOSE

WHO WOULD GIVE UP ESSENTIAL LIBERTY, TO

PURCHASE A LITTLE TEMPORARY SAFETY,

DESERVE NEITHER LIBERTY NOR SAFETY.

lin

Guest guest

I don't want to sound like I am not about natural remedies, because

I am, but if you do not see a marked difference in a day or so...

Please take him to a ped. MRSA is nothing to play with and spreads

quickly once inside the body. It usually takes a combination of

antibiotics to get rid off. You did say it was his stomach right?

Or at least have a swab done to see if it is MRSA just to be on the

safe side. You have gotten a wealth of info and I have also learned

some great advice too. I just got over a long bout with cellulitis

from the elbow. Hope all is well soon!

Blessings!

On 9/21/2010 1:03 PM, terri miller wrote:

thanks to all for reminders and advice

our health store was open today so we

went--- who runs the store is a wealth of

knowledge; he said on sight he felt it is MRSA

we came home with silver gel, silver liquid

and a natural antibiotic powder