RemedySpot.com

confused

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Are you sure it is 15%? Lugol's is either 2% or 5%. The 6.3% Lugol's is 5% solution. Not sure if they are the same since I haven't heard of a 15% solution.

Are you taking a probiotic? With all those antibiotics you need to keep your gut protected. What other supplements are you taking? You need the companion nutrients with iodine - info in the new member document in the FILES of the group

Steph

CONFUSED

Hi

I am new to trying to deal with thyroid problems, all I know is I have low T3 (testing in UK terrible, doctors have not got a clue) and I am totally confused. i have been taking 4 drops of Lugals Iodine 15% in water from Bobbys Healthy Shop and also mixing it in mag oil and rubbing on feet. The colour soon disapears from feet, is this good? I have also bought Lugals Iodine from bronzeagenutrition this is 6.3 mg Iodine/iodide and goes on to say the contents are: distilled water, iodine, Potassium iodide, is it the same?

I have had ME/Lyme for 23yrs that has caused a great deal of arthritis in feet, knees, hands, shoulders and back and am on various suppliments and IM and oral antibiotics and immunotherapy injections for food allergies/intollerances that Lyme doc recommended. Will Lugals help with bone problems?

Thanks for any advice,

Jacqui.

I don't know what kind of abacus these folks are using, but here's

something to consider from lower on the page exclusively for that

product:

Supplemental Dosage (3%): One drop (roughly 1.45

mg: see panel at left for calculation).

Clearly it's not 15% as we understand it.

theOn 1/1/2011 7:55 AM, moontidearts wrote:

I recently came across 15% "Lugol's" and some other

interesting products at http://www.herbhealers.com/store/

M

>

> Are you sure it is 15%? Lugol's is either 2% or 5%.

The 6.3% Lugol's is 5% solution. Not sure if they are the

same since I haven't heard of a 15% solution.

I looked at it too and could not make heads or tails out of their calculations.

Steph

Re: Re: CONFUSED

I don't know what kind of abacus these folks are using, but here's something to consider from lower on the page exclusively for that product:Supplemental Dosage (3%): One drop (roughly 1.45 mg: see panel at left for calculation).Clearly it's not 15% as we understand it.theOn 1/1/2011 7:55 AM, moontidearts wrote:

I recently came across 15% "Lugol's" and some other interesting products at http://www.herbhealers.com/store/ M>> Are you sure it is 15%? Lugol's is either 2% or 5%. The 6.3% Lugol's is 5% solution. Not sure if they are the same since I haven't heard of a 15% solution.

If it's 1.45mg per drop, that's even weaker than 2% Lugol's in the

traditional mode of measuring. They may be using a number of 15% on their

label, but it bears no resemblance to traditional understanding of what

that means. Because of this, I wouldn't buy from that source, and it's

certainly not 15%.

--

At 10:33 AM 1/1/2011, you wrote:

>I looked at it too and could not make heads or tails out of their

>calculations.

>

>Steph

>

> Re: Re: CONFUSED

>

>

>

>I don't know what kind of abacus these folks are using, but here's

>something to consider from lower on the page exclusively for that product:

>

>Supplemental Dosage (3%): One drop (roughly 1.45 mg: see panel at left for

>calculation).

>

>Clearly it's not 15% as we understand it.

>

>

>

>theOn 1/1/2011 7:55 AM, moontidearts wrote:

>>

>>

>>I recently came across 15% " Lugol's " and some other interesting products

>>at <http://www.herbhealers.com/store/>http://www.herbhealers.com/store/

>>

>> M

>>

>>

>> >

>> > Are you sure it is 15%? Lugol's is either 2% or 5%. The 6.3% Lugol's

>> is 5% solution. Not sure if they are the same since I haven't heard of a

>> 15% solution.

>

>

>

>

>

~~~ There is no way to peace; peace is the way ~~~~

--A.J. Muste

• 1 month later...

Hey all my son is 6 years old, just had his 24 hr. EEG an nothing came up on the

test. I was confused because the doctor gave him his seizure meds that night.My

son had 2 grandmal seizures then they put him on meds. I just went 3 weeks ago

to see what the results were an she said he isn't having seizures an took him

off his meds. Well just last week he got really sick with the flu an for a week

he was ok now his eyes are rolling an lot's of blank stairs .I was wondering has

anyone had a perfect EEG but still see your child having absence seizures?

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

I hear you...but my t3 and t4 are low. They've always been low no matter how my doc changes meds. Again...she feels the pituary gland isn't screening loud enough. Why? Should I take more tsh? Right now, I'm taking all three. Perhaps the doc should remove the tsh?

I've been on a yeast free diet...try not to eat gluten. Because I was losing too much weight, I'm now eating more fruits. There is a school of thought that says iodine isn't good for those who are dx with hashiminto. What is your opinion?

If you have Hashimoto’s, the recommended protocol is to supplement a T3/T4 product at a high enough dose until your tsh is nearly suppressed (almost down to a zero). TSH is a number which tells you how loudly your pituitary is having to scream at your thyroid to get busy. It is a ranking of a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. The thyroid is what creates T3 and T4 after being encouraged to do so by the pituitary. If your thyroid cannot function efficiently, the tsh score goes up since the pituitary is having to scream louder. Sometimes iodine can give the thyroid better fuel to do its job, other times you need to take meds to get in a good range (natural thyroid or synthetic T3/T4). All this does require the correct labs, which are tsh, Free T3 and Free T4. There are many other thyroid-related labs which are

basically unhelpful to you at this point.I have Hashimotos and am supplemented to the point that my tsh score is almost nothing, but my Free T3 and Free T4 are in good ranges. Finally, I feel like I can do my life. If you are not supplemented appropriately, or undermedcated, it can get confusing in many ways because you don’t feel well and your scores will look weird.

Guest guest

Louise,

According to this article (explanation given below), people with higher T3 levels and lower T4 levels are deficient in iodine. So I would recommend that your husband start taking iodine/iodide. In order to minimize the number of variables that are being changed at one time, perhaps it would make sense for your husband to stay on Synthroid, at least for a short trial, until you can see what effect iodine has on him. You could show this article to his doctor and get her opinion.

I have a friend with a FT3 level higher in the normal range but an almost below range FT4 level. We have the same doctor and I think he is very thyroid savvy. But he didn't have an explanation for why her FT4 was so low. Then I found the article below. Maybe docs aren't aware of this phenomenon.

Lynn

Excerpt from:

http://iodine4health.com/body/thyroid/thyroid_iodine_deficiency.htm

Increase in thyroidal T3/T4 ratio.

With less iodine available, the amount of T3 relative to T4 increases. For the coupling process, less T2 is available, which makes it harder to create T4 (which requires two molecules of T2). It is easier to create T3 (which requires only one molecule of T2, plus one of T1).

Increase in serum T3/T4 ratio.

With less iodine, serum T3 is much less affected than serum T4. With moderate iodine deficiency, T4 levels may be cut in half, but with severe iodine deficiency, they may become undetectable. Meanwhile, the serum T3 levels remain relatively stable until very severe and prolonged iodine deficiency.

With iodine deficiency, there also appears to be an increase in deiodinases (the enzymes that remove iodide atoms). This increases the conversion of T4 to T3.

Thus, a major adaptation of the body to a severely iodine-deficient diet is a dependence on serum T3 rather than T4.

There is evidence that hypothyroidism can occur in iodine-deficient rats with markedly depressed serum T4 levels, even when T3 levels are normal. (185, 188)

Guest guest

Very interesting. Thank you.I (and my doctor) didn't know why my Free T4 was always lower than the range and the Free T3 was fine.From: Lynn McGaha <lmcgaha@...>Subject: Re: Re: Confusediodine Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 12:09 PM

Louise,

According to this article (explanation given below), people with higher T3 levels and lower T4 levels are deficient in iodine. So I would recommend that your husband start taking iodine/iodide. In order to minimize the number of variables that are being changed at one time, perhaps it would make sense for your husband to stay on Synthroid, at least for a short trial, until you can see what effect iodine has on him. You could show this article to his doctor and get her opinion.

I have a friend with a FT3 level higher in the normal range but an almost below range FT4 level. We have the same doctor and I think he is very thyroid savvy. But he didn't have an explanation for why her FT4 was so low. Then I found the article below. Maybe docs aren't aware of this phenomenon.

Lynn

Excerpt from:

With less iodine available, the amount of T3 relative to T4 increases. For the coupling process, less T2 is available, which makes it harder to create T4 (which requires two molecules of T2). It is easier to create T3 (which requires only one molecule of T2, plus one of T1).

With less iodine, serum T3 is much less affected than serum T4. With moderate iodine deficiency, T4 levels may be cut in half, but with severe iodine deficiency, they may become undetectable. Meanwhile, the serum T3 levels remain relatively stable until very severe and prolonged iodine deficiency.

With iodine deficiency, there also appears to be an increase in deiodinases (the enzymes that remove iodide atoms). This increases the conversion of T4 to T3.

Thus, a major adaptation of the body to a severely iodine-deficient diet is a dependence on serum T3 rather than T4.

There is evidence that hypothyroidism can occur in iodine-deficient rats with markedly depressed serum T4 levels, even when T3 levels are normal. (185, 188)

Guest guest

I am taking pitutrophin PMG for my pituatary. At its worst none of my hormones work or work right. I am also taking their thyrophin PMG by standard process. My pituatary didn't respond to chiropractor manipulation or acupuncture to wake it up-tried many, many times as my chiropractor is persistent and typically gets good results. 

I am on 4 grains of Canadian armour which works for me so thyroid with this is supported sufficiently. Thermography shows half of it is warm but other half not working.......................................................................................................................

I should see if Chinese herbs or acupuncture would work now that I am healthier. I used to do acupuncture often when insurance covered it but now it doesn't.I broke my neck at 22 so some things just don't get the signals from my brain. Acupuncture is quite helpful when it is a signaling problem. For  example, recently for months after being rear ended by a drunk driver, I walked like a spider but acupuncture fixed that when my psoas muscles got the signals again. That way the tiny muscles in the back aren't moving the hips for walking. I couldn't do stairs at all and it popped out my ribs.

........................................................................................................................Jim,I know you figure that endocrinologists are to blame but one monkey that is missing from the picture is insurance companies. My GP who is 82 was lamenting spending a week in Texas learning all new ideas that would help his patients in chronic pain or fighting cancers or other long term illnesses and he was revved up to deliver these ideas to his patients. 

His insurance carrier would not allow these as they are not customary in our area. He was deeply frustrated and discouraged by this common problem that plagues medicine currently. 

Even the juries can be a piece of that. He also mentioned that a jury in Oregon gave a million dollars for a sore thumb from a malpractice case recently. So there are other pieces that complicate the picture beyond the doctors involved. 

Even the questions that are asked and studied in research can be a piece of the missing information swaying things in wrong directions or written up from a biased viewpoint by the RX industry.

It is not as simple as just one type of drs causing things though I think that endocrinologists are currently on some type of wrong headed problem seeking and it has been going on for years now. Rheumatologists are dangerous too.

We really are in a buyer beware situation.... PamOn Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Thurlby-fishkin <rightbrainsmart777@...> wrote:

I hear you...but my t3 and t4 are low. They've always been low no matter how  my doc changes meds. Again...she feels the pituary gland isn't screening loud enough. Why? Should I take more tsh? Right now, I'm taking all three. Perhaps the doc should remove the tsh?

I've been on a yeast free diet...try not to eat gluten.  Because I was losing too much weight, I'm now  eating more fruits. There is a school of thought that says iodine isn't good for those who are dx with hashiminto. What is your opinion?

If you have Hashimoto’s, the recommended protocol is to supplement a T3/T4 product at a high enough dose until your tsh is nearly suppressed (almost down to a zero).   TSH is a number which tells you how loudly your pituitary is having to scream at your thyroid to get busy.  It is a ranking of a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. The thyroid is what creates T3 and T4 after being encouraged to do so by the pituitary.  If your thyroid cannot function efficiently, the tsh score goes up since the pituitary is having to scream louder.  

Sometimes iodine can give the thyroid better fuel to do its job, other times you need to take meds to get in a good range (natural thyroid or synthetic T3/T4).  All this does require the correct labs, which are tsh, Free T3 and Free T4.  There are many other thyroid-related labs which are

basically unhelpful to you at this point.I have  Hashimotos and am supplemented to the point that my tsh score is almost nothing, but my Free T3 and Free T4 are in good ranges.  Finally, I feel like I can do my life.  If you are not supplemented appropriately, or undermedcated, it can get confusing in many ways because you don’t feel well and your scores will look weird.

Guest guest

Great, thanks for the article Lynne. I know my doctor has listened to Dr. Brownstein's lectures on Iodine so she's not against taking it, I'll show this to her. Thanks.On May 13, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Anne Picker wrote:

From: Lynn McGaha <lmcgaha@...>Subject: Re: Re: Confusediodine Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 12:09 PM

Louise,

Lynn

Excerpt from: