Guest guest

Questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The liver enzyme tests are of very little real value; Go out drinking tonite;

not get drunk, just several mixed drinks.Or, take 2 extra strength Tylenols

tonite.Or, as often happens, do both.Tomorrow your liver enzymes will be

elevated.Your Dr. is simply 'covering his ass'.Since your enzymes came back

elevated, and its in the record, if he doesn't investigate, AND it turns out you

have Liver Cancer, he could be liable for malpractice.Chances there is anything

WRONG with your liver;very small.Chances the test itself could harm you; greater

than the chance there is anything wrong with your liver. But, if he orders the

test, and you are HARMED by the test; he isn't liable.My advise, if it were me,

would be to decline the test.Suggest you'll test enzymes again in a month or

three. Before next test, read up on ALL the things which can adversely effect

your liver, like Tylenol, or any NSAIDS, alcohol, ANY RX. and most OTC meds, and

SOME supplements.Then, avoid them before the test.Bet the test will come back

'normal'. I will never let them put radioactive iodine in me.

BTW I have long term Hepatitis C, and my liver enzyme tests regularly come back

'normal'.I take Milk Thistle, Phosfitydle(sp)Choline, and I AVOID alcohol, any

NSAIDS, and most Rx. and OTC meds.Jim

>

> > Hi,

> >

> > I am a 4 1/2 year breast cancer survivor. I have been taking 50 -

> > 100 mg Iodoral/Lugols for 3 1/2 years. I recently went to a 6-

> > month checkup with my oncologist, and everything is fine except,

> > for the first time, my liver enzymes were medium - high. In the

> > past, my liver enzymes were in fine shape. As a result, my

> > oncologist has scheduled me for a CT scan of the abdomen in two

> > weeks. I have not told my oncologist that I have been taking

> > Iodoral and the companion nutrients for the last several years

> > because he would freak out. Also, in the last month, I started

> > taking milk thistle since I have read on this forum that it helps

> > clean out the liver. I have been slowly gaining weight over the

> > last several years (approximately 15 pounds), and I thought the

> > milk thistle would help the liver since I have been taking Iodoral

> > and Tamoxifen. I stopped taking Tamoxifen in 10/2010. I did not

> > tell my oncologist that I started taking milk thistle either. I am

> > feeling great so the only reason the CT scan is being ordered is

> > because of the higher liver enzyme test.

> >

> > My questions:

> >

> > Since I take Iodoral, will I have any problems with drinking the

> > chalky radioactive iodine for the CT scan?

> > Will the radioactive iodine cause me to get sick since I am already

> > taking Iodoral?

> > Should I tell them that I am taking Iodoral?

> > Should I stop taking Iodoral until after the CT scan?

> > Should I tell them that I am taking Milk thistle?

> > I have stopped taking the milk thistle until all of the tests are

> > complete. Does that sound OK?

> > Would taking milk thistle cause the liver enzymes to increase? Is

> > is possibly a temporary thing like beginning Iodoral and the TSH

> > increasing?

> > Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

> >

> > Thanks in advance for your comments/feedback,

> >

> > Lu

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

This past year, we had something like this going on. My husband had blood tests and the liver results were so bad the doc wanted to do a biopsy. This doc was a DO that prescribes vitamins/herbs and other natural stuff. My husband had been on a blood pressure med given to him by our long time family doc. that he eventually knew was making things worse, including pain in liver. He had just stopped taking it, prior to this blood test. We told the doc, we would like to wait on a biopsy, thinking this could be the problem. The next test showed the numbers coming down, and the last test showed things normal. The prescription meds caused the whole thing. When one has any health issue, one has to always question what they are doing differently, ie: eating, supplementing etc. 9 times out of 10, it's something we are doing to ourselves. Generally it only takes a minor adjustment in our diet/supplementation etc to get things corrected, and hopefully caught soon enough before any real damage is done.

Re: Questions

The liver enzyme tests are of very little real value; Go out drinking tonite; not get drunk, just several mixed drinks.Or, take 2 extra strength Tylenols tonite.Or, as often happens, do both.Tomorrow your liver enzymes will be elevated.Your Dr. is simply 'covering his ass'.Since your enzymes came back elevated, and its in the record, if he doesn't investigate, AND it turns out you have Liver Cancer, he could be liable for malpractice.Chances there is anything WRONG with your liver;very small.Chances the test itself could harm you; greater than the chance there is anything wrong with your liver. But, if he orders the test, and you are HARMED by the test; he isn't liable.My advise, if it were me, would be to decline the test.Suggest you'll test enzymes again in a month or three. Before next test, read up on ALL the things which can adversely effect your liver, like Tylenol, or any NSAIDS, alcohol, ANY RX. and most OTC meds, and SOME supplements.Then, avoid them before the test.Bet the test will come back 'normal'. I will never let them put radioactive iodine in me.BTW I have long term Hepatitis C, and my liver enzyme tests regularly come back 'normal'.I take Milk Thistle, Phosfitydle(sp)Choline, and I AVOID alcohol, any NSAIDS, and most Rx. and OTC meds.Jim> > > Hi,> >> > I am a 4 1/2 year breast cancer survivor. I have been taking 50 - > > 100 mg Iodoral/Lugols for 3 1/2 years. I recently went to a 6- > > month checkup with my oncologist, and everything is fine except, > > for the first time, my liver enzymes were medium - high. In the > > past, my liver enzymes were in fine shape. As a result, my > > oncologist has scheduled me for a CT scan of the abdomen in two > > weeks. I have not told my oncologist that I have been taking > > Iodoral and the companion nutrients for the last several years > > because he would freak out. Also, in the last month, I started > > taking milk thistle since I have read on this forum that it helps > > clean out the liver. I have been slowly gaining weight over the > > last several years (approximately 15 pounds), and I thought the > > milk thistle would help the liver since I have been taking Iodoral > > and Tamoxifen. I stopped taking Tamoxifen in 10/2010. I did not > > tell my oncologist that I started taking milk thistle either. I am > > feeling great so the only reason the CT scan is being ordered is > > because of the higher liver enzyme test.> >> > My questions:> >> > Since I take Iodoral, will I have any problems with drinking the > > chalky radioactive iodine for the CT scan?> > Will the radioactive iodine cause me to get sick since I am already > > taking Iodoral?> > Should I tell them that I am taking Iodoral?> > Should I stop taking Iodoral until after the CT scan?> > Should I tell them that I am taking Milk thistle?> > I have stopped taking the milk thistle until all of the tests are > > complete. Does that sound OK?> > Would taking milk thistle cause the liver enzymes to increase? Is > > is possibly a temporary thing like beginning Iodoral and the TSH > > increasing?> > Any comments would be greatly appreciated.> >> > Thanks in advance for your comments/feedback,> >> > Lu> >> >>

Guest guest

My doctor said something to me that gave me pause. By the time the number rise above normal we have lost 30 % of the organ's effectiveness. The saving grace is that the liver will heal itself given good conditions. In this case she was speaking of the liver but likely similar true of other organs. Pam

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM, gwen <mt1911@...> wrote:

This past year, we had something like this going on.   My husband had blood tests and the liver results were so bad the doc wanted to do a biopsy.  This doc was a DO that prescribes vitamins/herbs and other natural stuff.   My husband had been on a blood pressure med given to him by our long time family doc. that he eventually knew was making things worse, including pain in liver.   He had just stopped taking it, prior to this blood test.  We told the doc, we would like to wait on a biopsy, thinking this could be the problem.  The next test showed the numbers coming down, and the last test showed things normal.   The prescription meds caused the whole thing.   When one has any health issue, one has to always question what they are doing differently, ie:  eating, supplementing etc.  9 times out of 10, it's something we are doing to ourselves.  Generally it only takes a minor adjustment in our diet/supplementation etc to get things corrected, and hopefully caught soon enough before any real damage is done

Guest guest

What your quoting your Dr. as saying could be taken several ways; its nuanced.If

I'm understanding, they are saying by the time the liver enzyme test #'s rise

above 30%, the liver is operating at 30% less effectiveness.Doesn't mean that

30% of the liver is dead.Just 30% less effective at doing what it does, which in

the case of the liver is a # of things.Anyway, maybe I'm splitting hairs.Jim

> > >

> > > > Hi,

> > > >

> > > > I am a 4 1/2 year breast cancer survivor. I have been taking 50 -

> > > > 100 mg Iodoral/Lugols for 3 1/2 years. I recently went to a 6-

> > > > month checkup with my oncologist, and everything is fine except,

> > > > for the first time, my liver enzymes were medium - high. In the

> > > > past, my liver enzymes were in fine shape. As a result, my

> > > > oncologist has scheduled me for a CT scan of the abdomen in two

> > > > weeks. I have not told my oncologist that I have been taking

> > > > Iodoral and the companion nutrients for the last several years

> > > > because he would freak out. Also, in the last month, I started

> > > > taking milk thistle since I have read on this forum that it helps

> > > > clean out the liver. I have been slowly gaining weight over the

> > > > last several years (approximately 15 pounds), and I thought the

> > > > milk thistle would help the liver since I have been taking Iodoral

> > > > and Tamoxifen. I stopped taking Tamoxifen in 10/2010. I did not

> > > > tell my oncologist that I started taking milk thistle either. I am

> > > > feeling great so the only reason the CT scan is being ordered is

> > > > because of the higher liver enzyme test.

> > > >

> > > > My questions:

> > > >

> > > > Since I take Iodoral, will I have any problems with drinking the

> > > > chalky radioactive iodine for the CT scan?

> > > > Will the radioactive iodine cause me to get sick since I am already

> > > > taking Iodoral?

> > > > Should I tell them that I am taking Iodoral?

> > > > Should I stop taking Iodoral until after the CT scan?

> > > > Should I tell them that I am taking Milk thistle?

> > > > I have stopped taking the milk thistle until all of the tests are

> > > > complete. Does that sound OK?

> > > > Would taking milk thistle cause the liver enzymes to increase? Is

> > > > is possibly a temporary thing like beginning Iodoral and the TSH

> > > > increasing?

> > > > Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks in advance for your comments/feedback,

> > > >

> > > > Lu

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hello Dr. L,

I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them?

What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

>

> In answer to a couple of your questions.

>

> Elevated liver enzymes indicate that there is inflammation and damage to the

> liver cells. Liver enzymes are normally contained within the liver cells,

> and only when the cells are damaged and/or inflamed, do the enzymes leak

> into the blood stream. This can occur from a number of things: fatty liver,

> alcohol excess, certain meds such as long term antibiotics, and pain

> killers, oral synthetic hormone replacement, viral infections of the liver

> such as hepatitis C & B, auto-immune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, primary

> biliary cirrhosis, exposure to toxic chemicals such as insecticides,

> pesticides, organic solvents and unhealthy diet. Liver cells are very

> resilient and with a very healthy diet and good supplements they will repair

> and the enzyme levels will slowly come down over time in the case of simple

> fatty liver. This may take months. It is also not uncommon for the enzyme

> levels to fluctuate up and down before they decrease.

>

> Tamoxifen can cause liver enzymes to be elevated. Not only can it elevate

> liver enzymes but it can elevate cholesterol and calcium levels. The aching

> and soreness that some present while on Tamoxifen can actually be caused by

> the elevated calcium. Once Tamoxifen is discontinued, cholesterol and liver

> enzymes will usually come down to normal.

>

> Milk Thistle usually helps enzyme levels to come down. However, all

> possibilities should be checked. A good quality milk thistle can make a

> huge difference.

>

> Since you are a cancer survivor, I would also suggest researching the amount

> of radiation that one receives from a CT scan. Radiation is a known cause

> of cancer. You may want to ask if an ultrasound can be performed first.

> They do pick up cysts and tumors and thus will indicate if further testing

> is needed. If the doctor balks at an ultrasound (many do because a CT scan

> is much, much more expensive) and you decide that the scan is the route to

> take, it is always wise to let your doctor know exactly what you are taking

> (meds and supplements) before any type of procedure.

>

> Be Well

> Dr.L

>

>

Guest guest

No she is not a moderator. This is her website http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/about/

The moderators are:

Myself (owner) - Buist, ND

Baker

Kathleen Blake

Hello Dr. L,I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.>> In answer to a couple of your questions.> > Elevated liver enzymes indicate that there is inflammation and damage to the> liver cells. Liver enzymes are normally contained within the liver cells,> and only when the cells are damaged and/or inflamed, do the enzymes leak> into the blood stream. This can occur from a number of things: fatty liver,> alcohol excess, certain meds such as long term antibiotics, and pain> killers, oral synthetic hormone replacement, viral infections of the liver> such as hepatitis C & B, auto-immune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, primary> biliary cirrhosis, exposure to toxic chemicals such as insecticides,> pesticides, organic solvents and unhealthy diet. Liver cells are very> resilient and with a very healthy diet and good supplements they will repair> and the enzyme levels will slowly come down over time in the case of simple> fatty liver. This may take months. It is also not uncommon for the enzyme> levels to fluctuate up and down before they decrease.> > Tamoxifen can cause liver enzymes to be elevated. Not only can it elevate> liver enzymes but it can elevate cholesterol and calcium levels. The aching> and soreness that some present while on Tamoxifen can actually be caused by> the elevated calcium. Once Tamoxifen is discontinued, cholesterol and liver> enzymes will usually come down to normal.> > Milk Thistle usually helps enzyme levels to come down. However, all> possibilities should be checked. A good quality milk thistle can make a> huge difference.> > Since you are a cancer survivor, I would also suggest researching the amount> of radiation that one receives from a CT scan. Radiation is a known cause> of cancer. You may want to ask if an ultrasound can be performed first.> They do pick up cysts and tumors and thus will indicate if further testing> is needed. If the doctor balks at an ultrasound (many do because a CT scan> is much, much more expensive) and you decide that the scan is the route to> take, it is always wise to let your doctor know exactly what you are taking> (meds and supplements) before any type of procedure.> > Be Well> Dr.L > >

Guest guest

Hi No, I’m not a moderator. I’ve been on this list even before become the moderator. I joined to learn as well as to see how iodine was/is working with real people and real health concerns. I don’t have time to read every post, but I do find most of the posts very interesting. I’m a traditional naturopath meaning that I believe when supported correctly the body can heal without the mentality of conventional medicine. Not totally against conventional medicine, certainly there is a place for it but I don’t believe that it should be the first choice for most health concerns.Be WellDr. L Re: Questions Hello Dr. L,I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

Guest guest

Actually, is the owner =-) Kathleen

Hello Dr. L,I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

Guest guest

KathleenI think (it’s been a while back) she was a moderator before she became the owner and then took over the list when the previous owner decided to move on. Possibly I wasn’t clear and should have said “a moderator.”Be WellDr.LFrom: iodine [mailto:iodine ] On Behalf Of Kathleen BlakeSent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:00 PMiodine Subject: Re: Re: Questions Actually, is the owner =-) Kathleen Re: Questions Hello Dr. L,I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

Guest guest

Hi Dr. L,

has put a lot of work into this group as the owner, so I wanted to make clear that as well as a moderator she is also the owner. Nice to give her credit =-) Kathleen

Hello Dr. L,I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

Guest guest

Yes that's right. I joined in Oct 2006 (Started using the protocol with Dr. Brownstein in Feb 2006) and then became a moderator in January 2007. After I spoke at the Iodine Conference in California and met Dr. Meletis, Dr. Flechas, Dr. Abraham, Dr. Shevin and Hakala (Hakala Labs) I became very involved in the Iodine Project. It was December 2007 that Zoe turned the group over to me to continue the mission. I have been running the group alone until a few months ago when and Kathleen joined me as my moderators. I am very blessed to have them because it was getting harder and harder to keep up. When I took over the group was about 1,400 members. I just approved 20 new members a few minutes ago and now we are at 4,503. Amazing! It is encouraging to see the interest continue to grow.

Bust, ND

Guest guest

Thanks, . I was hoping that I got it right. I honestly cannot remember when I joined but remember being very impressed with the information that Zoe had put up. At that time, iodine therapy as we know it now was truly in its infancy. Be WellDr. LFrom: iodine [mailto:iodine ] On Behalf Of ladybugsandbeesSent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:18 PMiodine Subject: Re: Re: Questions Yes that's right. I joined in Oct 2006 (Started using the protocol with Dr. Brownstein in Feb 2006) and then became a moderator in January 2007. After I spoke at the Iodine Conference in California and met Dr. Meletis, Dr. Flechas, Dr. Abraham, Dr. Shevin and Hakala (Hakala Labs) I became very involved in the Iodine Project. It was December 2007 that Zoe turned the group over to me to continue the mission. I have been running the group alone until a few months ago when and Kathleen joined me as my moderators. I am very blessed to have them because it was getting harder and harder to keep up. When I took over the group was about 1,400 members. I just approved 20 new members a few minutes ago and now we are at 4,503. Amazing! It is encouraging to see the interest continue to grow. Bust, ND Re: Questions Hello Dr. L,I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

Guest guest

Thank you , Kathleen and for this informative group!

Thanks too to Dr. L for posting.

, you are amazing to get through school and do all you do.

You're an inspiration!

Sue

>

> Yes that's right. I joined in Oct 2006 (Started using the protocol with Dr.

Brownstein in Feb 2006) and then became a moderator in January 2007. After I

spoke at the Iodine Conference in California and met Dr. Meletis, Dr. Flechas,

Dr. Abraham, Dr. Shevin and Hakala (Hakala Labs) I became very involved

in the Iodine Project. It was December 2007 that Zoe turned the group over to

me to continue the mission. I have been running the group alone until a few

months ago when and Kathleen joined me as my moderators. I am very

blessed to have them because it was getting harder and harder to keep up. When

I took over the group was about 1,400 members. I just approved 20 new members a

few minutes ago and now we are at 4,503. Amazing! It is encouraging to see the

interest continue to grow.

>

> Bust, ND

>

>

> Re: Questions

>

>

>

>

> Hello Dr. L,

>

> I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of

them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

>

>

>

Guest guest

Out of curiosity I checked when we both joined. You joined 4/06 and I joined 10/06. Not too far apart.

Steph

Guest guest

Thanks , I'll make a note of this.

> >

> > In answer to a couple of your questions.

> >

> > Elevated liver enzymes indicate that there is inflammation and damage to

the

> > liver cells. Liver enzymes are normally contained within the liver cells,

> > and only when the cells are damaged and/or inflamed, do the enzymes leak

> > into the blood stream. This can occur from a number of things: fatty

liver,

> > alcohol excess, certain meds such as long term antibiotics, and pain

> > killers, oral synthetic hormone replacement, viral infections of the liver

> > such as hepatitis C & B, auto-immune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, primary

> > biliary cirrhosis, exposure to toxic chemicals such as insecticides,

> > pesticides, organic solvents and unhealthy diet. Liver cells are very

> > resilient and with a very healthy diet and good supplements they will

repair

> > and the enzyme levels will slowly come down over time in the case of

simple

> > fatty liver. This may take months. It is also not uncommon for the enzyme

> > levels to fluctuate up and down before they decrease.

> >

> > Tamoxifen can cause liver enzymes to be elevated. Not only can it elevate

> > liver enzymes but it can elevate cholesterol and calcium levels. The

aching

> > and soreness that some present while on Tamoxifen can actually be caused

by

> > the elevated calcium. Once Tamoxifen is discontinued, cholesterol and

liver

> > enzymes will usually come down to normal.

> >

> > Milk Thistle usually helps enzyme levels to come down. However, all

> > possibilities should be checked. A good quality milk thistle can make a

> > huge difference.

> >

> > Since you are a cancer survivor, I would also suggest researching the

amount

> > of radiation that one receives from a CT scan. Radiation is a known cause

> > of cancer. You may want to ask if an ultrasound can be performed first.

> > They do pick up cysts and tumors and thus will indicate if further testing

> > is needed. If the doctor balks at an ultrasound (many do because a CT scan

> > is much, much more expensive) and you decide that the scan is the route to

> > take, it is always wise to let your doctor know exactly what you are

taking

> > (meds and supplements) before any type of procedure.

> >

> > Be Well

> > Dr.L

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks , I'll make a note of this.

> >

> > In answer to a couple of your questions.

> >

> > Elevated liver enzymes indicate that there is inflammation and damage to

the

> > liver cells. Liver enzymes are normally contained within the liver cells,

> > and only when the cells are damaged and/or inflamed, do the enzymes leak

> > into the blood stream. This can occur from a number of things: fatty

liver,

> > alcohol excess, certain meds such as long term antibiotics, and pain

> > killers, oral synthetic hormone replacement, viral infections of the liver

> > such as hepatitis C & B, auto-immune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, primary

> > biliary cirrhosis, exposure to toxic chemicals such as insecticides,

> > pesticides, organic solvents and unhealthy diet. Liver cells are very

> > resilient and with a very healthy diet and good supplements they will

repair

> > and the enzyme levels will slowly come down over time in the case of

simple

> > fatty liver. This may take months. It is also not uncommon for the enzyme

> > levels to fluctuate up and down before they decrease.

> >

> > Tamoxifen can cause liver enzymes to be elevated. Not only can it elevate

> > liver enzymes but it can elevate cholesterol and calcium levels. The

aching

> > and soreness that some present while on Tamoxifen can actually be caused

by

> > the elevated calcium. Once Tamoxifen is discontinued, cholesterol and

liver

> > enzymes will usually come down to normal.

> >

> > Milk Thistle usually helps enzyme levels to come down. However, all

> > possibilities should be checked. A good quality milk thistle can make a

> > huge difference.

> >

> > Since you are a cancer survivor, I would also suggest researching the

amount

> > of radiation that one receives from a CT scan. Radiation is a known cause

> > of cancer. You may want to ask if an ultrasound can be performed first.

> > They do pick up cysts and tumors and thus will indicate if further testing

> > is needed. If the doctor balks at an ultrasound (many do because a CT scan

> > is much, much more expensive) and you decide that the scan is the route to

> > take, it is always wise to let your doctor know exactly what you are

taking

> > (meds and supplements) before any type of procedure.

> >

> > Be Well

> > Dr.L

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks. I read your cancer story on your website. Yay you! Thanks for the intro

on your background.

>

> Hi

>

> No, I'm not a moderator. I've been on this list even before

> become the moderator. I joined to learn as well as to see how iodine was/is

> working with real people and real health concerns. I don't have time to

> read every post, but I do find most of the posts very interesting. I'm a

> traditional naturopath meaning that I believe when supported correctly the

> body can heal without the mentality of conventional medicine. Not totally

> against conventional medicine, certainly there is a place for it but I don't

> believe that it should be the first choice for most health concerns.

>

> Be Well

> Dr. L

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello Dr. L,

>

> I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of them?

> What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

>

>

>

Guest guest

Wow . This group is blossoming! Thanks for directing it. Thanks for the

info on your history. Is this historical info (and maybe something on the

moderators' stories or backgrounds) in the files somewhere and I missed it? It

would be great to have this available for us newbie types. Of course, you

probably have 5000 (or at least 4503) other things to do first, so you don't

need some more good " to do " ideas.

>

> Yes that's right. I joined in Oct 2006 (Started using the protocol with Dr.

Brownstein in Feb 2006) and then became a moderator in January 2007. After I

spoke at the Iodine Conference in California and met Dr. Meletis, Dr. Flechas,

Dr. Abraham, Dr. Shevin and Hakala (Hakala Labs) I became very involved

in the Iodine Project. It was December 2007 that Zoe turned the group over to

me to continue the mission. I have been running the group alone until a few

months ago when and Kathleen joined me as my moderators. I am very

blessed to have them because it was getting harder and harder to keep up. When

I took over the group was about 1,400 members. I just approved 20 new members a

few minutes ago and now we are at 4,503. Amazing! It is encouraging to see the

interest continue to grow.

>

> Bust, ND

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello Dr. L,

>

> I'm still not sure who the moderators on this site are. Are you one of

them? What type of doctor are you? I enjoy reading your posts.

>

>

>

Guest guest

Dear Bee

I am following the plan, but having problems with any butter, without me getting

very hungry, instead I am eating plenty of traditional beed dripping as a main

source of fat, could you let me know if this will work?

Also, someone told me that Halibut liver oil is rancid?  I would be best of

fermented blue ice CLO.   Is this so?

How much exercise do you recommend I do, and when health is regained to it

fullest?

Are nuts ever safe to eat?

Some mentioned raw beef suet, raw eggs is healthy, is this a good idea?

How many eggs do you recommend?

Are vegetables essential, or can I stick to meat and fat? 

Best wishes

Guest guest

>

> Dear Bee

>  

> I am following the plan, but having problems with any butter, without me

getting very hungry, instead I am eating plenty of traditional beed dripping as

a main source of fat, could you let me know if this will work?

+++Hi . What are beed dripping ?

>  

> Also, someone told me that Halibut liver oil is rancid?  I would be best of

fermented blue ice CLO. Is this so?

+++If Halibut liver oil were rancid then I'd be in big trouble, but I'm not. I

don't recommend fermented CLO; search our messages to find out why.

>  

> How much exercise do you recommend I do, and when health is regained to it

fullest?

+++To find out exercise I recommend search my website. I don't make any

recommendations for exercise after you are healthy since I haven't gotten into

that.

>  

> Are nuts ever safe to eat?

+++Yes, if you soak them first and don't consume too many since they are hard on

anyone's digestion.

>  

> Some mentioned raw beef suet, raw eggs is healthy, is this a good idea?

+++Beef suet by itself doesn't taste very good, but attached to the meat and

cooked it tastes great. Yes, raw eggs are healthy.

>

> How many eggs do you recommend?

+++As many as you wish, but a minimum of 4 per days is wise.

>

> Are vegetables essential, or can I stick to meat and fat?

+++Vegetables are carbs, and carbs are not essential to human health as noted in

articles on my website; search for Carb Facts.

Bee 

Guest guest

Dear Jo Anne,

In October we will attend a 10 day MNRI camp with Svetlana with our 7 year old son, who mainly has issues with concentration (focus), coordination as well as planning and poor working memory. I planned to do the Listening program during the summer holiday. Would you suggest we will wait to do this Listening program until we have been to the camp? I have read one can do the Listening program several times. Same for swimming. Our son has a tough time to move well his legs for the freestyle (he has no force and one can see that something is not right). We found a wonderful swimtrainer here in China (one who knows how to handle our son without screaming or hitting him) who has the patience and who makes him swim many laps each time focusing on his legs for freestyle. I wonder if after our camp in October this kind of issue will be resolved because maybe one of these reflexes will be integrated?

Thank you to share your experiences.

Iris

From: tierneyj@...Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:44:48 +0000Subject: Re: RE affording all the therapy

I was going to make a similar suggestion. You might want to check and see if there is an OT, PT or SLP in your area who has training in MNRI. The modalities you listed can all be considered therapeutic activities, so should be covered by many insurance policies.

What I have found in my practice is that the MNRI work is so foundational, that that is where I start. Once the nervous system becomes more integrated and organized, I start adding the other modalities. I have heard Dr. Masgutova discuss this regarding listening therapy programs, and the importance of developing that strong foundation before adding the listening piece. She mentioned the possibility of increasing hyperactivity of the fear paralysis reflex if the listening therapy is started before the child is ready for it. I actually experienced that with one of my clients, before I heard her speak on this. He was making such nice progress in calming his FPR, when it started to become stronger again. Sure enough - he had been doing The Listening Program! As for the Interactive Metronome, I often use that as the "finishing touch" for the kids with milder challenges. Though I could see the value in using the IM simultaneously with the MNRI. I would be interested in hearing what other MNRI and IM practitioners think about this.

Hope this helps.

Jo Anne Tierney, OTR/L

From: "Kayte" <k_sisler@...> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:06:02 AMSubject: RE affording all the therapy

My husband took the level 1 upledger cranial sacral class. Perhaps taking the class would allow you to cut back on those visits?

If you have a good relationship with an OT or PT etc....what about asking them to take the MNRI classes or other certifications if your insurance will cover that type of professional then you would have that covered. All of them need CEUs so they may be willing to do it.

I am sorry for your daily struggles....if you were near me I'd get together with you and give you a Tactile Massage.....take care of yourself...some of the tactile you can do on yourself.

Can others chime in? Is it better to have such a varied program or would it be better to focus on just a couple methods. I don't suppose there are any studies on this but maybe others have had personal experiences. What is the most foundational and perhaps focus on that. You don't want to cause more stress by trying to do to much at once....stress on you and your child.

I don't know much about the other methods. MNRI seems very foundational and I believe very strongly in it. My child does not have near the struggles you are dealing with.

Have you been to a MNRI camp? I understand the results are just amazing.

I understand you feel you are in a race and severely behind.

As some of you may know, my daughter, who is 11, has severe challenges. Shehas the needs of an infant and then some. Currently, she is completelyimmobile, doesn't chew or talk and can't sit up or reach for things. I feellike we have to do several therapies at once to get her going, somehow. Wedo MNRI, ABR and now, ILS and IM as well as frequent visits to a cranialsacral doc and a chiropractor. All of which are considered alternativetherapies and not covered by our state funded insurance.

Guest guest

Hi Iris,

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I only recently heard Dr. Masgutova speak about listening therapies, so I am just now starting to look at it from the viewpoint of whether a child has the foundational skills to benefit from the therapy. Before I started working with MNRI, I used the listening program with a number of children. Many of them saw nice improvement, while a few others did not. I'm wonderiing now if the children who did not benefit were perhaps not yet ready for that type of input. Maybe somebody with more experience than I have can offer more insight.

I think it is wonderful that your son will be attending an MNRI camp. In response to your question about the swimming, yes, I think it is very possible that you will see changes as reflexes begin to integrate. And in the meantime, the swimming is a wonderful activity for him!

Sorry I can't answer you with more certainty about whether or not to do the Listening Program over the summer, prior to camp. I would maybe recommend that you wait until after the camp, but I know that summer vacation can be a great time to fit it into busy lives! And I think many children do fine with it. Maybe somebody else has thoughts on this?

Good luck with your child's continued development.

Jo

From: "Iris von Birgelen" <irisvonbirgelen@...> Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 6:54:44 AMSubject: RE: Questions

Dear Jo Anne, In October we will attend a 10 day MNRI camp with Svetlana with our 7 year old son, who mainly has issues with concentration (focus), coordination as well as planning and poor working memory. I planned to do the Listening program during the summer holiday. Would you suggest we will wait to do this Listening program until we have been to the camp? I have read one can do the Listening program several times. Same for swimming. Our son has a tough time to move well his legs for the freestyle (he has no force and one can see that something is not right). We found a wonderful swimtrainer here in China (one who knows how to handle our son without screaming or hitting him) who has the patience and who makes him swim many laps each time focusing on his legs for freestyle. I wonder if after our camp in October this kind of issue will be resolved because maybe one of these reflexes will be integrated? Thank you to share your experiences. Iris

From: tierneyj@...Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:44:48 +0000Subject: Re: RE affording all the therapy

I was going to make a similar suggestion. You might want to check and see if there is an OT, PT or SLP in your area who has training in MNRI. The modalities you listed can all be considered therapeutic activities, so should be covered by many insurance policies. What I have found in my practice is that the MNRI work is so foundational, that that is where I start. Once the nervous system becomes more integrated and organized, I start adding the other modalities. I have heard Dr. Masgutova discuss this regarding listening therapy programs, and the importance of developing that strong foundation before adding the listening piece. She mentioned the possibility of increasing hyperactivity of the fear paralysis reflex if the listening therapy is started before the child is ready for it. I actually experienced that with one of my clients, before I heard her speak on this. He was making such nice progress in calming his FPR, when it started to become stronger again. Sure enough - he had been doing The Listening Program! As for the Interactive Metronome, I often use that as the "finishing touch" for the kids with milder challenges. Though I could see the value in using the IM simultaneously with the MNRI. I would be interested in hearing what other MNRI and IM practitioners think about this. Hope this helps.Jo Anne Tierney, OTR/L

From: "Kayte" <k_sisler@...> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:06:02 AMSubject: RE affording all the therapy

My husband took the level 1 upledger cranial sacral class. Perhaps taking the class would allow you to cut back on those visits?

If you have a good relationship with an OT or PT etc....what about asking them to take the MNRI classes or other certifications if your insurance will cover that type of professional then you would have that covered. All of them need CEUs so they may be willing to do it.

I am sorry for your daily struggles....if you were near me I'd get together with you and give you a Tactile Massage.....take care of yourself...some of the tactile you can do on yourself.

Can others chime in? Is it better to have such a varied program or would it be better to focus on just a couple methods. I don't suppose there are any studies on this but maybe others have had personal experiences. What is the most foundational and perhaps focus on that. You don't want to cause more stress by trying to do to much at once....stress on you and your child.

I don't know much about the other methods. MNRI seems very foundational and I believe very strongly in it. My child does not have near the struggles you are dealing with.

As some of you may know, my daughter, who is 11, has severe challenges. Shehas the needs of an infant and then some. Currently, she is completelyimmobile, doesn't chew or talk and can't sit up or reach for things. I feellike we have to do several therapies at once to get her going, somehow. Wedo MNRI, ABR and now, ILS and IM as well as frequent visits to a cranialsacral doc and a chiropractor. All of which are considered alternativetherapies and not covered by our state funded insurance.

Guest guest

Hi Iris:

I had a similar experience with yours.

Do you know the score of Asymmetrical Tonus Neck Reflex (ATNR) Integration of your child?

Based on my experience I regret doing it before the camp. Better we wait until the Assymetrical Tonus Neck Reflex Integration score is 12-13 (almost normal) of the 20 of top scale. And, also, not all of the auditory trainings are suitable for our children with challenges. E.g.: the program that I gave to my daughter was actually not for children with autism, but for dyslexia. I just realized it when I attended DR. Masgutova's free talk session in my country last year. It meant the auditory training consultant (a lady) might not know it or she knew but as long as she was able to get money from us then she did.

In the ATNR Reflex Integration, MNRI will use auditory input of singing and counting with certain position & angel, & in the visual/facial program of the camp, they will also stimulate the ears of kid with tapping & massage.

Regards,

- Indonesia

From: Jo Anne Tierney <tierneyj@...> Sent: Tue, June 28, 2011 7:52:20 PMSubject: Re: Questions

Hi Iris,

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I only recently heard Dr. Masgutova speak about listening therapies, so I am just now starting to look at it from the viewpoint of whether a child has the foundational skills to benefit from the therapy. Before I started working with MNRI, I used the listening program with a number of children. Many of them saw nice improvement, while a few others did not. I'm wonderiing now if the children who did not benefit were perhaps not yet ready for that type of input. Maybe somebody with more experience than I have can offer more insight.

I think it is wonderful that your son will be attending an MNRI camp. In response to your question about the swimming, yes, I think it is very possible that you will see changes as reflexes begin to integrate. And in the meantime, the swimming is a wonderful activity for him!

Sorry I can't answer you with more certainty about whether or not to do the Listening Program over the summer, prior to camp. I would maybe recommend that you wait until after the camp, but I know that summer vacation can be a great time to fit it into busy lives! And I think many children do fine with it. Maybe somebody else has thoughts on this?

Jo

From: "Iris von Birgelen" <irisvonbirgelen@...> Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 6:54:44 AMSubject: RE: Questions

Dear Jo Anne, In October we will attend a 10 day MNRI camp with Svetlana with our 7 year old son, who mainly has issues with concentration (focus), coordination as well as planning and poor working memory. I planned to do the Listening program during the summer holiday. Would you suggest we will wait to do this Listening program until we have been to the camp? I have read one can do the Listening program several times. Same for swimming. Our son has a tough time to move well his legs for the freestyle (he has no force and one can see that something is not right). We found a wonderful swimtrainer here in China (one who knows how to handle our son without screaming or hitting him) who has the patience and who makes him swim many laps each time focusing on his legs for freestyle. I wonder if after our camp in October this kind of issue will be resolved because maybe one of these reflexes will be

integrated? Thank you to share your experiences. Iris

I was going to make a similar suggestion. You might want to check and see if there is an OT, PT or SLP in your area who has training in MNRI. The modalities you listed can all be considered therapeutic activities, so should be covered by many insurance policies. What I have found in my practice is that the MNRI work is so foundational, that that is where I start. Once the nervous system becomes more integrated and organized, I start adding the other modalities. I have heard Dr. Masgutova discuss this regarding listening therapy programs, and the importance of developing that strong foundation before adding the listening piece. She mentioned the possibility of increasing hyperactivity of the fear paralysis reflex if the listening therapy is started before the child is ready for it. I actually experienced that with one of

my clients, before I heard her speak on this. He was making such nice progress in calming his FPR, when it started to become stronger again. Sure enough - he had been doing The Listening Program! As for the Interactive Metronome, I often use that as the "finishing touch" for the kids with milder challenges. Though I could see the value in using the IM simultaneously with the MNRI. I would be interested in hearing what other MNRI and IM practitioners think about this. Hope this helps.Jo Anne Tierney, OTR/L

Guest guest

Wow , that's a good point you make about the ATNR. My son (has autism) has been recommended for various listening programs for years, but I just looked up his ATNR score, and it's 8 - so it probably would have been less than successful. I never did try it. I did try vision therapy for him a couple of times and it never worked, it was just so hard for him - his STNR is 8 also, so that was probably a major factor in the ineffectiveness of that therapy. It was my last vision therapist, in fact, who recommended investigating reflex integration as a root cause of his difficulties. - From: Marisa <rosalina_abadi@...> Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:26 AMSubject: Re: Questions

Hi Iris:

Do you know the score of Asymmetrical Tonus Neck Reflex (ATNR) Integration of your child?

Based on my experience I regret doing it before the camp. Better we wait until the Assymetrical Tonus Neck Reflex Integration score is 12-13 (almost normal) of the 20 of top scale. And, also, not all of the auditory trainings are suitable for our children with challenges. E.g.: the program that I gave to my daughter was actually not for children with autism, but for dyslexia. I just realized it when I attended DR. Masgutova's free talk session in my country last year. It meant the auditory training consultant (a lady) might not know it or she knew but as long as she was able to get money from us then she did.

In the ATNR Reflex Integration, MNRI will use auditory input of singing and counting with certain position & angel, & in the visual/facial program of the camp, they will also stimulate the ears of kid with tapping & massage.

Regards,

- Indonesia

From: Jo Anne Tierney <tierneyj@...> Sent: Tue, June 28, 2011 7:52:20 PMSubject: Re: Questions

Hi Iris,

Jo

Dear Jo Anne, In October we will attend a 10 day MNRI camp with Svetlana with our 7 year old son, who mainly has issues with concentration (focus), coordination as well as planning and poor working memory. I planned to do the Listening program during the summer holiday. Would you suggest we will wait to do this Listening program until we have been to the camp? I have read one can do the Listening program several times. Same for swimming. Our son has a tough time to move well his legs for the freestyle (he has no force and one can see that something is not right). We found a wonderful swimtrainer here in China (one who knows how to handle our son without screaming or hitting him) who has the patience and who makes him swim many laps each time focusing on his legs for freestyle. I wonder if after our camp in October this kind of issue will be resolved because maybe one of these reflexes will be

integrated? Thank you to share your experiences. Iris

I was going to make a similar suggestion. You might want to check and see if there is an OT, PT or SLP in your area who has training in MNRI. The modalities you listed can all be considered therapeutic activities, so should be covered by many insurance policies. What I have found in my practice is that the MNRI work is so foundational, that that is where I start. Once the nervous system becomes more integrated and organized, I start adding the other modalities. I have heard Dr. Masgutova discuss this regarding listening therapy programs, and the importance of developing that strong foundation before adding the listening piece. She mentioned the possibility of increasing hyperactivity of the fear paralysis reflex if the listening therapy is started before the child is ready for it. I actually experienced that

with one of

my clients, before I heard her speak on this. He was making such nice progress in calming his FPR, when it started to become stronger again. Sure enough - he had been doing The Listening Program! As for the Interactive Metronome, I often use that as the "finishing touch" for the kids with milder challenges. Though I could see the value in using the IM simultaneously with the MNRI. I would be interested in hearing what other MNRI and IM practitioners think about this. Hope this helps.Jo Anne Tierney, OTR/L

Guest guest

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will wait with the listening program after having been to the camp. I do not know what our son's score is on the reflexes. I am getting impatient to be at the camp in October.

Thanks again so much for your experience. Please continue sharing. I just have the guts feeling that this future reflex integration for our son will make things easier for him. Including sports, which he loves to do, but where he does not develop as easily or fast as his peers.

Iris

From: cindybevier@...Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:34:43 -0700Subject: Re: Questions

Wow , that's a good point you make about the ATNR. My son (has autism) has been recommended for various listening programs for years, but I just looked up his ATNR score, and it's 8 - so it probably would have been less than successful. I never did try it. I did try vision therapy for him a couple of times and it never worked, it was just so hard for him - his STNR is 8 also, so that was probably a major factor in the ineffectiveness of that therapy. It was my last vision therapist, in fact, who recommended investigating reflex integration as a root cause of his difficulties. -

From: Marisa <rosalina_abadi@...> Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:26 AMSubject: Re: Questions

Hi Iris:

Regards,

- Indonesia

Hi Iris,

Jo

Dear Jo Anne, In October we will attend a 10 day MNRI camp with Svetlana with our 7 year old son, who mainly has issues with concentration (focus), coordination as well as planning and poor working memory. I planned to do the Listening program during the summer holiday. Would you suggest we will wait to do this Listening program until we have been to the camp? I have read one can do the Listening program several times. Same for swimming. Our son has a tough time to move well his legs for the freestyle (he has no force and one can see that something is not right). We found a wonderful swimtrainer here in China (one who knows how to handle our son without screaming or hitting him) who has the patience and who makes him swim many laps each time focusing on his legs for freestyle. I wonder if after our camp in October this kind of issue will be resolved because maybe one of these reflexes will be integrated? Thank you to share your experiences. Iris

I was going to make a similar suggestion. You might want to check and see if there is an OT, PT or SLP in your area who has training in MNRI. The modalities you listed can all be considered therapeutic activities, so should be covered by many insurance policies. What I have found in my practice is that the MNRI work is so foundational, that that is where I start. Once the nervous system becomes more integrated and organized, I start adding the other modalities. I have heard Dr. Masgutova discuss this regarding listening therapy programs, and the importance of developing that strong foundation before adding the listening piece. She mentioned the possibility of increasing hyperactivity of the fear paralysis reflex if the listening therapy is started before the child is ready for it. I actually experienced that with one of my clients, before I heard her speak on this. He was making such nice progress in calming his FPR, when it started to become stronger again. Sure enough - he had been doing The Listening Program! As for the Interactive Metronome, I often use that as the "finishing touch" for the kids with milder challenges. Though I could see the value in using the IM simultaneously with the MNRI. I would be interested in hearing what other MNRI and IM practitioners think about this. Hope this helps.Jo Anne Tierney, OTR/L