Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Asthma is a common allergy disease which many people are suffering from. There are many ayurvedic treatments for Asthma available. In ayurveda there are many superior, natural treatments for asthma, which is known in sanskrit as swas roga. Asthma is caused primarily due to dust, smoke or other pollutants, and also cold conditions increase asthma related problems.
Inhalers are the common choice of medicine for treatment of asthma but these are not a complete cure. Last year a survey was conducted that reported that 15 % of people in India are suffering from asthma and it is increasing each year.
In Ayurveda, increased of kapha dosha in the stomach is the underlying cause of asthma. The kapha lodgeds in the lungs and bronchi, and it will return to the stomach where it will be elimiated. Those who suffer from asthma have difficulty to breathe and asthmatic wheezing.
The symptoms of asthmatic wheezing includes tightness in chest, difficulty to breath and other symptoms are experienced by those suffering from asthma. Ayurveda classifies 5 types of experiences:
The modern medical industry explains the cause of asthma as bronchial constriction and fluid retention in the lung tissue that creates the symptoms of asthma. In Ayurveda some more reasons are pointed out for the cause of asthma:
- Poor digestion, which leads to build up of toxic impurities in the lungs, airways and related tissues.
- The balancing of the nervous system is an important factor in the human body, which has a role in asthma conditions.
- The human body has its own self repair ability to cure deseases and bring natural balance. The weakness in the ability to balance and self prevention against deseases may causes the symptoms of asthma to rise.
- Improper diet is a step to asthma. For example some foods can make Vata highly active or clog the physiology, thereby worsening many of the symptoms of asthma.
- Life style of humans have an important role in curing disease. Ayurveda aims to study the routines of lifestyle. When we keep the natural cleansing processes strongly and have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms, diseases wil be reduced. This means when we eat, sleep and exercise in constantly fluctuating and disturbing patterns it will extremely affect Vata imbalances that cause asthmatic problems.
Treatments in Ayurveda includes dietary and home remedies, recommendation of taking some herbs to treat asthma such as adhtoda vasica, piper lungum, terminalia Chebula, etc. Garlic and honey is the most commonly used home remedy in Asthma.
Take ten garlic cloves. Boil it in 30 ml of milk. This makes an excellent medicine for the early stages of asthma. Honey helps the asthma patients to start breathing easier and deeper. Lemon is another fruit found beneficial in the treatment of asthma. The juice of one lemon, diluted in a glass of water and taken with meals will bring good results.