RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: getting unscrewed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Quote:

Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our own docs to others as being the 'top guns'. Now we are getting those same words thrown back as us as 'their doc is the only one they would trust.' That has really offended me. Enough is enough. If your happy with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down the others that are trusted by so many.This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I have a lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has asked me if I would speak to patients), or someone who had similar complications who needs to talk about it. Or has a question about UCSF...but I am quickly learning to keep my mouth shut. ITs the last I will say on that subject..i needed to get that off my chest.

Unquote.

Let me begin by saying that I feel like the culprit here to have prompted 's response quoted above since I did just yesterday elaborate about doctors, and not my personal experience, and I think it is ok for everybody to trust their doctor and respect that others respect their own doctors - like, agree to agree, or agree to disagree...but THERE SHOULD BE AN AGREEMENT THAT YOU HAVE TO CLICK THE OK BOX TO NOT DISCUSS DOCTORS before one steps into this forum and gets their feelings hurt. Not everyone reads way back to the beginning of the creation of this forum to read between the lines and get a feel for what to and what not to say.

so, feeling like the guilty one to have caused an upset in this "friendly" forum, and before I permanently disconnect to not just go back to observing, just move on with my life as it existed before I was INVITED to this forum.

I have so many times wanted to respond to something but have been corrected as to "we don't say things this way, etc.", talk about offended, so I bit my tongue, stayed in tune with the forum because it is a unique group of people with very common physical challenges - but if I get snapped at when I post something - well, I'm an adult now, not in the third grade.

Perhaps I just couldn't learn to conform to the code of ethics here, anyway, I'll be okay, and I won't be back to rock the boat.

Offended also,

Gross

[ ] getting unscrewed

Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She needsa new CT Scan to be sure I have healed enough for the procedure.I have my consult with my PCP tomorrow to get the referral for it.Would have posted this yesterday, but when I sat and thought aboutthe surgery, a small tremor of terror took hold. All better now! lolSo once the scan is done and sent to her, we will figure out whento have it done. I am glad I am doing it, they (screws)are just horrible. The few chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just glad its in the works to get them removed.Also:Beds: I have a sleep number. Its fantastic. Every inch of my bodyis supported and comfortable. Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk (10lbs).Gave it a try, too heavy, just used the half gallon jugs of milk.Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a resultbutt is getting wider wider wider.Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our own docs to others as being the 'top guns'. Now we are getting those same words thrown back as us as 'their doc is the only one they would trust.' That has really offended me. Enough is enough. If your happy with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down the others that are trusted by so many.This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I have a lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has asked me if I would speak to patients), or someone who had similar complications who needs to talk about it. Or has a question about UCSF...but I am quickly learning to keep my mouth shut. ITs the last I will say on that subject..i needed to get that off my chest.you all take care of yourselves...hugs all around

Guest guest

I couldn't agree more with what you said. All of what you said in your "Big sigh" paragraph. I feel the same way you do. I don't want you to leave or be quiet around here. You have much good to contribute. I finally decided, as offended as I was, and even more so with the latest stuff that you referred to, that I can't let them get to me and I just can't drop everyone that I know I can help. So please, stay around and speak. I will.

Bonnie

[ ] getting unscrewed

Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She needsa new CT Scan to be sure I have healed enough for the procedure.I have my consult with my PCP tomorrow to get the referral for it.Would have posted this yesterday, but when I sat and thought aboutthe surgery, a small tremor of terror took hold. All better now! lolSo once the scan is done and sent to her, we will figure out whento have it done. I am glad I am doing it, they (screws)are just horrible. The few chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just glad its in the works to get them removed.Also:Beds: I have a sleep number. Its fantastic. Every inch of my bodyis supported and comfortable. Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk (10lbs).Gave it a try, too heavy, just used the half gallon jugs of milk.Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a resultbutt is getting wider wider wider.Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our own docs to others as being the 'top guns'. Now we are getting those same words thrown back as us as 'their doc is the only one they would trust.' That has really offended me. Enough is enough. If your happy with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down the others that are trusted by so many.This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I have a lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has asked me if I would speak to patients), or someone who had similar complications who needs to talk about it. Or has a question about UCSF...but I am quickly learning to keep my mouth shut. ITs the last I will say on that subject..i needed to get that off my chest.you all take care of yourselves...hugs all around

Guest guest

, All,

Everyone here has the right to speak highly about their own doc or explain why they didn't like another doc. What I think no one has the right to do is to try to sway any one person to use a particular doctor. Anyone who is in the field of referrals will tell you that the way to go is to praise your own, share a bad experience with a doc, recommend your own or give choices (plural) of others you've heard of.

Bonnie

[ ] getting unscrewed

Guest guest

Thanks you so much Bonnie. It was difficult for me to say, I usually

just worry about everybody getting through their surgeries and

healing. I will continue to do just that!

I am not going to go away, disappear or not chime in. I love this

place, it has been such a tremendous help to me.

((big hug))

>

> ,

>

> I couldn't agree more with what you said. All of what you said in

your " Big sigh " paragraph. I feel the same way you do. I don't want

you to leave or be quiet around here. You have much good to

contribute. I finally decided, as offended as I was, and even more

so with the latest stuff that you referred to, that I can't let them

get to me and I just can't drop everyone that I know I can help. So

please, stay around and speak. I will.

>

> Bonnie

>

>

> [ ] getting unscrewed

>

>

> Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She

needs

> a new CT Scan to be sure I have healed enough for the procedure.

> I have my consult with my PCP tomorrow to get the referral for it.

> Would have posted this yesterday, but when I sat and thought about

> the surgery, a small tremor of terror took hold. All better now!

lol

> So once the scan is done and sent to her, we will figure out when

> to have it done.

> I am glad I am doing it, they (screws)are just horrible. The few

> chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just

glad

> its in the works to get them removed.

> Also:

> Beds: I have a sleep number. Its fantastic. Every inch of my body

> is supported and comfortable.

>

> Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk

(10lbs).

> Gave it a try, too heavy, just used the half gallon jugs of milk.

>

> Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a

result

> butt is getting wider wider wider.

>

> Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our

own

> docs to others as being the 'top guns'. Now we are getting those

same

> words thrown back as us as 'their doc is the only one they would

> trust.' That has really offended me. Enough is enough. If your

happy

> with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down

the

> others that are trusted by so many.

> This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I

have a

> lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has

asked

> me if I would speak to patients), or someone who had similar

> complications who needs to talk about it. Or has a question about

> UCSF...but I am quickly learning to keep my mouth shut.

> ITs the last I will say on that subject..i needed to get that off

my

> chest.

> you all take care of yourselves...

> hugs all around

>

>

Guest guest

Dear and ,

Okay I'm going to take a deep breath and jump in here, and please take this with the care and warmth it's sent with. It's easy for us all to get our feelings hurt, I know I've had mine hurt from time to time, but we all have a purpose here, first to share, second to get advice, and third to have companionship during a very trying part of our lives.

Doc's have been a big bone of contention for awhile, so here's my two cents. Pretty much everyone here knows the names of a few doc's that do this surgery often, have had many in the group go with them and they have records we have seen for years. There are also people who will choose to go to less known names, many because these doc's are close, or funds aren't available to travel to the major cities, or they just want to go fairly local. While I think going to the more known names gives you more of a record to follow, outcomes, and patients here to talk to, and you are getting a surgeon who has done this over and over, usually are published concerning Flatback, all good, and probably increases your odds of a good outcome. Know that I have personally spoken to people on this board and others that have had less than an optimum outcome with going with a less experienced doc, some with bad outcomes. Now those of you who know me, and I'm a moderator here, know that I had my surgeries starting in 2000, and I went with a name not known on the boards at the time. My Doc's, Anant Kumar of Denver, and my second surgeon who worked on my case Dr. O'Brien currently of Miami, both had a very good local rep, I spoke with patients of both docs, and both of them consulted both Dr's Lenke and Bridwell on my case which gave me a level of comfort since both are talked about on the boards often. I'm kinda a go by my gut gal, Kumar diagnosised me, after I went years running to over twenty doc's with no answers, and I had a level of comfort with him, from both doing my homework and his plan. So I understand when people go with less known doc's, I did, but going with a less known name has some drawbacks. I think that is good to be here and hear the stories of patients of a particular doc, who are not one, but two, three, and four years out from surgery, and in the case of Bonnie I believe nine years out ( a true pioneer of this surgery). I really believe you can't judge an outcome, by a month, or six months, or even a year. With this complicated surgery complications can crop up a ways away from surgery, and as Cam said in a post lately that the have had non-unions show up as far out as five years away from surgery. I will be five years out from my last revision surgery in December, and truly just now I believe I can truly say I have had an excellent outcome. Time is the great judge of anything, especially outcomes. I always say I'm good now, and hope I always will be, but truly who knows, doc's don't know how we will do down the road. I pray that all of us will be good twenty years from now, those of us who went with known surgeons and those of us who didn't.

So, with care I say this, I think those who have gone with known names truly care about each of you who are going to doc's not spoken about here or on other boards. I believe their first concern is just how complicated this surgery is. Many of them have had personal experience with doc's " willing to give it a go" even though when asked how many they have done they get vague answers, and rightly so, they opt to go with names spoken about here often, for the experience and outcomes, and people they can talk to about the doc, the hospital, and their recovery. This is why these doc's are spoken about often, they have varifiable outcomes and experience. Now saying that, as in all surgeries, it's to the Flatback patients good that more doc's are being trained in this area of surgery. My doc's practice has had a big influx in revision patients since I had my surgery. As we Harrington Rodders age, the need for trained surgeons will increase, and we too have seen people thrown into Flatback from recent orginal surgeries. Know that some of these doc's with the Big names are aging, and will get to a place in their lives that doing these huge surgeries will be too much for them. So the pool of doc's will have to increase, and luckily we are seeing new names taking on this field of surgery. We never recommend doc's here for surgery, just for opinions. I think no one is putting one doc over another, but when recommending someone most people do that out of true concern for the person asking, and a doc with tons of experience, outcomes weve seen, and play for years here, would I think get more recommendations. I think most would like to pad their chances with a more experienced doc, normal I think.

The joy of this group is the conversation, the give and take. I think all should be shared here, the good, the bad, and the just plain surviving this mess of flatback. As in all conversation people from time to time will have strong feelings, and sometimes that will tromp all over someones elses feelings. I know more than once I have had to push Delete, when my tonage might be hurtful, but alas we are all human and can say things that can hurt. Also know that all members here hold a huge amount of gratitude to their doc's, weither you are a month or a year or five years out. So people can be quite defensive of their doc's, I know mine is Family to me, and truly in my opinion gave me back the ability to live a full life again. So not to speak to anyone as if they are in third grade, lets please be mindful of others, you guys and gals have helped hundreds of people get through one of the roughiest times in their lives, and I'd hate to have any of your voices lost to the conversation!

With love!

[ ] getting unscrewed

Guest guest

: I haven't posted for quite sometime, but want you to know that I had my iliac screws removed when I was about 18 months post op (Dr. LaGrone's patient, and I'm a little over 3 years post op now). This surgery took less than an hour, and I think I was in hospital for a day or two. I have no regrets. Take care, ette <mrstrem@...> wrote: Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She needsa

new CT Scan to be sure I have healed enough for the procedure.I have my consult with my PCP tomorrow to get the referral for it.Would have posted this yesterday, but when I sat and thought aboutthe surgery, a small tremor of terror took hold. All better now! lolSo once the scan is done and sent to her, we will figure out whento have it done. I am glad I am doing it, they (screws)are just horrible. The few chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just glad its in the works to get them removed.Also:Beds: I have a sleep number. Its fantastic. Every inch of my bodyis supported and comfortable. Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk (10lbs).Gave it a try, too heavy, just used the half gallon jugs of milk.Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a resultbutt is getting wider wider wider.Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our

own docs to others as being the 'top guns'. Now we are getting those same words thrown back as us as 'their doc is the only one they would trust.' That has really offended me. Enough is enough. If your happy with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down the others that are trusted by so many.This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I have a lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has asked me if I would speak to patients), or someone who had similar complications who needs to talk about it. Or has a question about UCSF...but I am quickly learning to keep my mouth shut. ITs the last I will say on that subject..i needed to get that off my chest.you all take care of yourselves...hugs all around

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Beta.

Guest guest

Hi ette,

Thanks so much for telling me. Was starting to feel a bit alone in

this. How did you go 18mo with them bothering you? Or did it take you

that long to heal enough for them to be able to remove them?

I'm so hoping I have healed enough. How badly did they inhibit your

every day life?

I was told it was a quick surgery, one day in hospital. Easy enough I

guess.

Again, thanks so much!

hugs,

> Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would.

She needs

> the surgery, a small tremor of terror took hold. All better now! lol

> to have it done.

> chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just glad

> Also:

>

> Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk (10lbs).

>

> Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a result

>

> Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our own

same

happy

> with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down the

> This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I have

a

> lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has asked

my

> chest.

> hugs all around

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.

> Try the free Beta.

>

Guest guest

, I'm really sorry to see you and others posting that you are not comfortable posting here. This site spun off from another where there was very little being said for that same reason. Of course the creators and moderators of this forum (of whom I am not one) are not "owners", or in control here, but for people to be intimidated about expressing opinions goes very much against the original spirit and intent of this forum.

I will admit that I have had difficulty keeping up with all the posts and that I may have missed something inflammatory that has been said of late. But whatever it is it was just somebody's opinion, and this group belongs to you just as much as it does to her/him, or me. I suggest we all just take the attitude that we "own the place", never to boss or belittle others, but to approach the discussions here from a position of strength. Each of us is commander of her/his own body, and all advice, support, and resources may be taken or left as we choose.

You are absolutely right that none of us can dictate to the others which doc is or isn't qualified or trustworthy to operate on them. And anyone who tries is just being silly and needs to be laughed off. That goes for me if I slip and try anything so foolish.

Of course we're all adults here and I won't tell anyone not to be offended or intimidated by our fellow members. We are all free to be offended and intimidated if we choose, and likewise we can choose not to be. For the most part I've taken the latter position, and I recommend it. :^)

Peace, people. Every one of us has something valuable to contribute to the group, and I feel very strongly that none of us should squelch others, nor allow ourselves to be squelched.

Ok, it's WAY past my bedtime, but I hope I've said something coherent here. I'll get off my soap box now.

Kindest regards to all,

Sharon

[ ] getting unscrewed

Guest guest

I'm so sorry that you need yet another surgery. I am heading into

my revisions on Monday and I truly hope that these are my only

ones. I do hope that removal of your screws will help your pain.

My surgeon mentioned that as a possibility in the future, and has

pre-warned me that my thin build will put me more into the " risk "

category of needing them removed. I hope that you will be pleased

with the outcome and feel a relief almost instantly. You must be

anxious to get it all over with so that you can continue on with

your healing!

I'm also glad that Dr Hu communicates so well by email. It's a

wonderful communication tool that I think more doctors & patients

could benefit from. And especially for specialists who have so many

long-distance patients coming to them.

Good luck with it all!

>

> Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She needs

lol

>

Guest guest

One of my personal mantras in life about any feedback or discussions

of any kind with people is to " consider what is helpful and leave the

rest behind. "

I hope everyone stays active on the site and continues to contribute

their experiences, suggestions, faers, ideas and support.

Ann Marie

>

> , I'm really sorry to see you and others posting that you

are not comfortable posting here. This site spun off from another

where there was very little being said for that same reason. Of

course the creators and moderators of this forum (of whom I am not

one) are not " owners " , or in control here, but for people to be

intimidated about expressing opinions goes very much against the

original spirit and intent of this forum.

>

> I will admit that I have had difficulty keeping up with all the

posts and that I may have missed something inflammatory that has been

said of late. But whatever it is it was just somebody's opinion, and

this group belongs to you just as much as it does to her/him, or me.

I suggest we all just take the attitude that we " own the place " ,

never to boss or belittle others, but to approach the discussions

here from a position of strength. Each of us is commander of her/his

own body, and all advice, support, and resources may be taken or left

as we choose.

>

> You are absolutely right that none of us can dictate to the others

which doc is or isn't qualified or trustworthy to operate on them.

And anyone who tries is just being silly and needs to be laughed

off. That goes for me if I slip and try anything so foolish.

>

> Of course we're all adults here and I won't tell anyone not to be

offended or intimidated by our fellow members. We are all free to be

offended and intimidated if we choose, and likewise we can choose not

to be. For the most part I've taken the latter position, and I

recommend it. :^)

>

> Peace, people. Every one of us has something valuable to

contribute to the group, and I feel very strongly that none of us

should squelch others, nor allow ourselves to be squelched.

>

> Ok, it's WAY past my bedtime, but I hope I've said something

coherent here. I'll get off my soap box now.

>

> Kindest regards to all,

>

> Sharon

>

> [ ] getting unscrewed

>

>

> Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She

needs

lol

> to have it done.

> chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just

glad

> Also:

>

> Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk

(10lbs).

>

> Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a

result

>

> Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our

own

same

happy

> with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down

the

> This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I

have a

> lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has

asked

my

> chest.

> hugs all around

>

>

Guest guest

Hi : Sounds like my iliac screws were nowhere as bothersome/painful as yours are. They were painful to the touch, and when I'd lie down on my back. And that was about it. I think Dr. LaGrone said around 10 to 15 percent of patients (don't quote me on this, but that's what I seem to recall) eventually get them out. Often times, thinner patients. His general rule is to wait at least one year post op before removing them, but I'm sure there's exceptions to that rule. It sounds like your situation could be an exception? I understand your hoping that your fusion is healed enough to take them out. Even at 3 years post op, I still am ever so mindful (most of the time, that is) to listen to my body, and adjust to this new posture without messing anything up! Hang in there, , and be good to yourself. ette <mrstrem@...> wrote: Hi ette,Thanks so much for telling me. Was starting to feel a bit alone in this. How did you go 18mo with them bothering you? Or did it take you that long to heal enough for them to be able to remove them?I'm so hoping I have healed enough. How badly did they inhibit your every day life? I was told it was a quick surgery, one day in hospital. Easy enough I guess.Again, thanks so much!hugs,> Got my email back from Dr. Hu quick as I thought I would. She needs> a new CT Scan to be sure I have healed enough for the procedure.> I have my consult with my PCP tomorrow to get the referral for it.> Would have posted this yesterday, but when I sat and thought about> the surgery, a small tremor of terror took hold. All better now!

lol> So once the scan is done and sent to her, we will figure out when> to have it done. > I am glad I am doing it, they (screws)are just horrible. The few > chores I was able to do are almost impossible to do now. Just glad > its in the works to get them removed.> Also:> Beds: I have a sleep number. Its fantastic. Every inch of my body> is supported and comfortable. > > Lifting: Was told nothing heavier than half gallon of milk (10lbs).> Gave it a try, too heavy, just used the half gallon jugs of milk.> > Walking: Was told to walk walk walk. Can't Can't Can't. As a result> butt is getting wider wider wider.> > Big sigh, again, we were once told we were only advocating our own > docs to others as being the 'top guns'. Now we are getting those same > words thrown back as us as 'their doc is the only one they would > trust.' That has really

offended me. Enough is enough. If your happy > with your doc, fantastic! Pass that along, just don't put down the > others that are trusted by so many.> This is really starting to keep me from participating here. I have a > lot to offer to someone who may decide to see Dr. Hu (she has asked > me if I would speak to patients), or someone who had similar > complications who needs to talk about it. Or has a question about > UCSF...but I am quickly learning to keep my mouth shut. > ITs the last I will say on that subject..i needed to get that off my > chest.> you all take care of yourselves...> hugs all around > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.> Try the free

Beta.>

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Games.