RemedySpot.com

Pain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Kay,

If you are feeling depressed you should also express that to your doc. Depression after a surgery of this magnitude does happen, many have experienced in the weeks following surgery. There are some anti-depressive med's that not only help with the depression but also pain, I believe Bonnie has spoken about this. Depression should always be taken seriously, and no need suffering with it if it can be helped. I had a bout with it about a year after surgery, mine mostly stemmed for built up anger of going years with no diagnosis, years I felt I had lost to pain and disability when there was medical help for Flatback, I was pissed, and then after being mad stopped I got pretty depressed. I didn't think it made sence, afterall here I was better, but my friends hubby who a shrink explained that it was grief for those "lost" years and totally understandable. He and I talked it out, friends and family too, and I got over it, but it took awhile. I know many express in the weeks following surgery that they have " A Blue period" sad and can cry at a moments notice, who know just what sets it off, med's, the shock to all our bodily systems. For some of us it just passes, and others may need some help. Always through this be aware of what your body is telling you, and if you are depressed, don't suffer needlessly.

[ ] Pain

I'm about seven weeks post revision surgery. I'm still having pain when I try to roll over at night. Is that normal; did that happen with other post-revisionists? I just thought it would be lessening by now. Also, when I get up in the morning, I ache all over: legs, hips, back, etc. Makes me want to get back into bed and not get up. Also feel that awful aching when I get up from a nap; it hurts everywhere. Takes a few minutes of walking around before things lessen a bit.I took Aleve for years prior to the surgery for osteoarthritis symptoms (hips, hands, back). I'm no longer taking it because I understand it interferes with fusing. I'm wondering if the aches in muscles and joints are from the osteoarthritis or…what. Maybe some bursa inflammation in the hips/thighs (bursitis). Just don't know. And I don't know who to ask about it. My surgeon? My PCP? Appreciate your thoughts.Kay

Guest guest

Hi Kay,

I'm 5 1/2 months post op, and still find it difficult to sleep through the night without any muscle aches and pains. I wake up when I go to roll over, and usually in the morning I'm stiff and achy. I've been told that it's to be expected. So, at 7 weeks, it sounds like you're doing fine. I take one of my pain meds. (coedine), sometimes two, before I go to bed, and that really helps. We got a new mattress (with pocket coils, not box spring), and that has made a difference - beforehand it was just awful! I know some people have memory foam mattress toppers that help. I found that for the first couple months post-revision I was really sensitive to the pressure points.

Take care,

Cena

From: kaystange@...Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:43:55 +0000Subject: [ ] Pain

I'm about seven weeks post revision surgery. I'm still having pain when I try to roll over at night. Is that normal; did that happen with other post-revisionists? I just thought it would be lessening by now. Also, when I get up in the morning, I ache all over: legs, hips, back, etc. Makes me want to get back into bed and not get up. Also feel that awful aching when I get up from a nap; it hurts everywhere. Takes a few minutes of walking around before things lessen a bit.I took Aleve for years prior to the surgery for osteoarthritis symptoms (hips, hands, back). I'm no longer taking it because I understand it interferes with fusing. I'm wondering if the aches in muscles and joints are from the osteoarthritis or…what. Maybe some bursa inflammation in the hips/thighs (bursitis). Just don't know. And I don't know who to ask about it. My surgeon? My PCP? Appreciate your thoughts.Kay Discover the new Windows Vista Learn more!

Guest guest

Although we bought our mattress, a pocket sprung one which we have on a solid base so that it supports as well as conforming (on a soft sprung base they can be a bit prone to sagging with 2 people on board) before my revision, I know there is no way I could cope even this far out without either a pocket sprung or memory foam mattress. A standard sprung mattress is bad enough - the springs are attached to each other by bars that run across the mattress, so there is a certain amount of ability to conform to your waist and hips (if on your side, or lordosis if on your back), but they inevitably sag toward the middle of the width unless they're very firm, and so called orthopaedic mattresses as well as any standard mattress that claims to prevent roll-together have the springs attached by bars running the length of the mattress. This prevents any ability of it to conform to your fixed curves.

I *can* sleep a night or two without too much trouble on most mattresses these days, but so-called orthopaedic mattresses will still generally have me waking up umpteen times a night, and in terrible pain in my hips in the morning. The left especially will get dreadful bursitis, to the extent of needing a couple of weeks on NSAIDs to get the inflammation back under control, after as little as one night.

The other thing is it has been a looooooooooooong time since I routinely took painkillers during the day. I can't remember the exact time line, but by the time I went back to work at 3 months post op, working 2 days a week, I only took painkillers on work days and if I was having a longer day out such as going to watch the motor racing at Castle Combe - and at that it was usually just co-dydramol (per tab 500mg paracetamol, 10mg dihydrocodeine - usually 2 on a day out, 4 on a work day I think). However, I did find that I just needed to keep up with night time painkillers. For 4 years I took 50mg tramadol and 0-2 co-dydramol before going to bed, or if I'd had a really bad day or an arthritis flare up or whatever, I'd sometimes take 100mg tramadol. I've never actually got past taking night-time painkillers, because without them I get just enough pain that I don't sleep well enough and that just sets me on a downward spiral. I've stopped them numerous times over the last few years, and each time I've slid and slid until it's taken me a couple of weeks of taking a ton of painkillers throughout the day to get back to where I was. I forget to take them periodically, and realise the following night when I've been creaking round all day feeling sorry for myself, and realise I'm at the wrong point on the strip. It's quite funny that even after so long taking them, I still perhaps have a mental rebellion going on there against it ;o)

Anyway. All that is a long way to say that if you've a hard mattress, perhaps replacing it or getting a memory foam topper would help (even just a folded duvet - comforter? - or a thick sleeping bag under the sheet could help), and you definitely need your sleep, so perhaps you should take more, or something stronger, at night to help make sure you get it.

titch-- Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end. - Hawking

Guest guest

Hi Kay,

The aches and pains you describe seem relatively normal

to me. I experienced every one of those in post recovery.

There were days, I swore my hardware was all in the wrong

places. It took 7 months or so to roll over without hurting. It

took almost as long for my butt, gluts and lower back to stop

constantly aching and that was with PT strengthening in the pool.

Mostly the muscle are trying to adapt to carrying your body in

new positions. It carried your old posture in whatever state for

years and is now " shell shocked " to carry something new. Not

only do your muscles have to adjust, they want to go back to what

they are used to, so that is a constant struggle and a retraining we

all have to mentally fight. It will all pass but as with everything, call

your surgeon if you are very concerned otherwise mention it on

your next checkup. Best of luck.

Guest guest

you know, I didn't take any pain medication during the day yesterday (I

didn't do a whole lot either -- just went for a short walk), but I knew

that I am usually in pain when I wake up, so I took my oxycontin at

bedtime. I woke up feeling much better this morning and I got a decent

night's sleep.

Guest guest

, Cena,

, Titch, Cena, Cam, and Suzanne,

So glad to read

all your posts and learn more about what’s probably normal and what needs

further questioning. You all described so closely what I’m experiencing

so it really helps to know I’m probably right on track. Also, that it may

last a while and I shouldn’t be alarmed about that since many/most of you

described still feeling some of these symptoms even months after your

surgeries.

I did speak with

Georganne today who told me Celebrex

won’t interfere with fusing like Aleve and should help with my osteoarthritis

in hips, knees, etc. She’s sending samples out for me to try first before

I commit to paying for a prescription.

As for the leg

pain and not being able to sleep, she recommends (as did most of you) that I

take my meds at night before bedtime. Currently, I’ve been taking Vicodin but when it seems really rough, I

take an Oxycodone instead. Don’t

know why, just seems to me that of the two, the Oxy is more potent. Georganne

suggested that I take either one (the Oxy or the Vic) but to also take a Flexeril which I haven’t been taking.

She told me that should ease the calf muscles and also help me sleep.

Last night we

went to bed around 11:30pm. I fell asleep around 12:30am but was awake again at

2:30am. Couldn’t go back to sleep so I finally got up. Still haven’t

slept. This seems to be my routine. Probably sleep no more than 3-5 hours each

night normally. The melatonin I’ve

always taken did the trick before but not now. Think it’s just because my

calves are hurting so much that I can’t stop moving around because I can’t

get comfortable.

Anyway,

Georganne also told me to take low dosage aspirin

throughout the day because I can’t tolerate a whole aspirin and Tylenol upsets a polycystic liver condition

I have. Low dosage aspirin doesn’t cause any problems for me.

When I really

stopped to examine exactly what’s hurting, I realized that it’s

joints and muscles and not my back so much other than the turning over at

night. Several of you confirmed the nighttime thing is a normal occurrence (so

did Georganne) and that, in time, it’ll go away, too. Where I’m

hurting is, I think, pretty much related to the osteo.

As for the

depression, she suggested I discuss that with my PCP but to also call her so

she can let Dr. Flemming know what medication, if any, Dr V (my PCP) puts me

on. Felt that Dr V would have a more thorough working knowledge about depression

medication and what’s best for me since I’ve been seeing her for so

long.

Thanks to all of

you for your posts and information. It means a lot.

Kay

Guest guest

Dear Kay,

Boy you saying something about flexeril, made something click in my mind, I'm four years out from my last recovery, and I need jolts to sometimes remember all of it. After my fentanyl patch came off( made me very ill, vomitting and consitipated) Kumar tried a few med's with me, not really much in dosage, but I do remember when flexeril got added in along with the viocodin, a major change for the better, really helped with the overall achiness, and I was able to really reduce the vicodin. Lets hope this really helps you!

RE: [ ] Re:Pain

, Cena, , Titch, Cena, Cam, and Suzanne,

So glad to read all your posts and learn more about what’s probably normal and what needs further questioning. You all described so closely what I’m experiencing so it really helps to know I’m probably right on track. Also, that it may last a while and I shouldn’t be alarmed about that since many/most of you described still feeling some of these symptoms even months after your surgeries.

I did speak with Georganne today who told me Celebrex won’t interfere with fusing like Aleve and should help with my osteoarthritis in hips, knees, etc. She’s sending samples out for me to try first before I commit to paying for a prescription.

As for the leg pain and not being able to sleep, she recommends (as did most of you) that I take my meds at night before bedtime. Currently, I’ve been taking Vicodin but when it seems really rough, I take an Oxycodone instead. Don’t know why, just seems to me that of the two, the Oxy is more potent. Georganne suggested that I take either one (the Oxy or the Vic) but to also take a Flexeril which I haven’t been taking. She told me that should ease the calf muscles and also help me sleep.

Last night we went to bed around 11:30pm. I fell asleep around 12:30am but was awake again at 2:30am. Couldn’t go back to sleep so I finally got up. Still haven’t slept. This seems to be my routine. Probably sleep no more than 3-5 hours each night normally. The melatonin I’ve always taken did the trick before but not now. Think it’s just because my calves are hurting so much that I can’t stop moving around because I can’t get comfortable.

Anyway, Georganne also told me to take low dosage aspirin throughout the day because I can’t tolerate a whole aspirin and Tylenol upsets a polycystic liver condition I have. Low dosage aspirin doesn’t cause any problems for me.

When I really stopped to examine exactly what’s hurting, I realized that it’s joints and muscles and not my back so much other than the turning over at night. Several of you confirmed the nighttime thing is a normal occurrence (so did Georganne) and that, in time, it’ll go away, too. Where I’m hurting is, I think, pretty much related to the osteo.

As for the depression, she suggested I discuss that with my PCP but to also call her so she can let Dr. Flemming know what medication, if any, Dr V (my PCP) puts me on. Felt that Dr V would have a more thorough working knowledge about depression medication and what’s best for me since I’ve been seeing her for so long.

Thanks to all of you for your posts and information. It means a lot.

Kay

Guest guest

Hi Kay,

Hopefully as you work your way around to new combinations of meds you

will find a combination that is working. If you get on the right

antidepressant you may find you get an extra knock down of pain...so

be sure your PCP knows the whole picture. As you did before

surgery...time to do more homework...!

If you haven't already, go to our links section and toward the bottom

find the American Chronic Pain Foundation document. It has a good

reference for the use of anit-depressants beginning on page 21.

I did have another thought on your exhaustion...you might want to

talk to your PCP, as long as you are calling, about the idea of using

iron. I know it can gum up the works worse since you are still on

meds...but a slow release caplet might help. I don't remember if you

donated blood...but someone probably has a record of your hemo levels

at discharge. After this bloody surgery it might be that you are

anemic. Just a possibility to check out. I went back on iron after I

got regular for a few months...it seemed to help my energy. Of

course..it could be the placebo efffect!

I want to say that I hate to ever disagree with a doctor....but I am

pretty sure we have all been told absolutely NO to any

NSAIDs...celebrex included. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and

havent time to go track all the research down for you, but here is

the first study that popped up in pubmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?

db=pubmed & cmd=Retrieve & dopt=AbstractPlus & list_uids=15177303 & query_hl=4

& itool=pubmed_docsum

I wonder if you misunderstood the nurse? It is difficult for me to

put this up because it contradicts your medical team...maybe there is

new research that shows otherwise...I just would feel bad if I said

nothing and you didn't fuse somewhere!

Naturally, you understand that none of this is to be used in place of

medical advice. I really don't know anything!!!!

Take Care, Cam

Guest guest

Thanks for the

link, Cam. I’ll be checking it out. Yep,

I just spoke with Georganne again who confirmed that Dr. F does not want his

patients using Aleve but does allow them to use Celebrex. It’s still an

NSAID so I’m not sure why one is acceptable over the other. At my next

appointment I’m going to ask him specifically about Celebrex. I agree, I

just want to make sure….

Got a call into

Dr V so when she phones me back I’ll ask her about the iron. I suspect

she’ll want to do some more bloodwork.

I’m not

sure what she’s going to recommend for an antidepressant but I’ll

check the link on the forum site so I can be prepared for our conversation.

Have also heard the brand name Cymbalta discussed in posts and have wondered

how effective other forum members have found it to be.

Guest guest

Dear Cam and Kay,

I took either Celebrex or Bextra while healing from my revision for massive headaches from my osteoporosis I.V. treatments of Aredia. I took those med's for about a week each month for the entire year following my revision and fused properly. This maybe true since I didn't take the drugs daily. Kay, bbest to make a call and discuss it with your doc, or before you use them wait till your next visit.

Thanks for the link, Cam. I’ll be checking it out. Yep, I just spoke with Georganne again who confirmed that Dr. F does not want his patients using Aleve but does allow them to use Celebrex. It’s still an NSAID so I’m not sure why one is acceptable over the other. At my next appointment I’m going to ask him specifically about Celebrex. I agree, I just want to make sure….

Got a call into Dr V so when she phones me back I’ll ask her about the iron. I suspect she’ll want to do some more bloodwork.

I’m not sure what she’s going to recommend for an antidepressant but I’ll check the link on the forum site so I can be prepared for our conversation. Have also heard the brand name Cymbalta discussed in posts and have wondered how effective other forum members have found it to be.

Guest guest

Kay,

From the Message section of the main site, if you just type the

words " cymbalta " in the search box you can at least read the many old

posts that mentioned this drug.

Hope this helps, Cam

Guest guest

I wondered the same thing. When I saw the workman's comp doctor a

couple of months ago, I had to list all the medications I was taking.

I listed all the ones I have even if I don't take them on a regular

basis.

He said, well I see you are already taking an NSAID . . .

what?? I am not taking any of those! Turns out that I wrote celebrex

on the form when I really meant cymbalta.

>

> I wonder if you misunderstood the nurse? It is difficult for me to

> put this up because it contradicts your medical team...maybe there is

> new research that shows otherwise...I just would feel bad if I said

> nothing and you didn't fuse somewhere!

>

> Naturally, you understand that none of this is to be used in place of

> medical advice. I really don't know anything!!!!

>

> Take Care, Cam

>

Guest guest

Suzanne, what negative

side effects have you noticed, if any, with taking Cymbalta? On the flip side, how

has it been most helpful to you? (If you don’t mind my asking. Just got

to thinking these questions may be a bit intrusive. If you feel they are, then please

don’t worry about responding, okay?)

Part of Suzanne’s

Turns out that I wrote celebrex

on the form when I really meant cymbalta.

Guest guest

I don't take it on a regular basis -- mainly because it made me a bit

hyperactive, difficult to sleep, and a little too up.

The very first time I took it, I bought plane tickets to the

Bahamas. That did a great job of getting rid of my depression.

I didn't take it again for a few months until I was seriously

depressed. One did the trick again. So, I have only taken them when

I have felt very down (and I ended up going to the Bahamas three

times in one year)

I do know that they say cymbalta is not for people who cycle between

manic and depressive and it made me wonder if I might fall in that

category since just one pill made such a major difference. Plus, I am

another one of those people who really resisted the idea of taking an

antidepressant.

you can find more information about cymbalta at

www.depressionhurts.com

it is supposed to help increase the effectiveness of pain medications

and their website explains the physiology of how it works.

>

> Suzanne, what negative side effects have you noticed, if any, with

taking

> Cymbalta? On the flip side, how has it been most helpful to you?

(If you

> don't mind my asking. Just got to thinking these questions may be a

bit

> intrusive. If you feel they are, then please don't worry about

responding,

> okay?)

>

>

>

>

>

> Part of Suzanne's post:

>

> Turns out that I wrote celebrex

> on the form when I really meant cymbalta.

>

Guest guest

I forgot to mention that after that first pill and not being able to

sleep, I realized it was best to take my pain medication at night and

cymbalta in the morning.

>

> Suzanne, what negative side effects have you noticed, if any, with

taking

> Cymbalta? On the flip side, how has it been most helpful to you?

(If you

> don't mind my asking. Just got to thinking these questions may be a

bit

> intrusive. If you feel they are, then please don't worry about

responding,

> okay?)

>

>

>

>

>

> Part of Suzanne's post:

>

> Turns out that I wrote celebrex

> on the form when I really meant cymbalta.

>

Guest guest

Hi Kay, 7 Wks post-op & you are wondering why you are having

pain...................go easy on yourself, this surgery knocks you

for a loop. I can only speak for myself, but every muscle, & bone

ached me for quite sometime. ( Remember you were bent over before &

now everything has to loosen up & this takes time ) Two months after

my surgery I was still having pain & the backs of my knees could not

even touch the mattress without it feeling like I was being

electrocuted. I attributed this to my knees being bent for so many

yrs prior to surgery. My hubby added a person may never be pain free

as even though the skeletal problems are corrected it has nothing to

do with any nerve damage or scar tissue. He also added this depends

so much on the individual. Remember when you sleep you do not move

as much and everything stiffens up. Of course some of this could be

due to osteoarthritis, but so soon after surgery the surgery itself

could be what is causing it. I know I felt the exact same way for

quite some time. I am 1yr & 10 mts post op & only the last month or

so am I feeling totally myself. I still have pain in my legs & also

in my upper back. I am sure the pain in my legs is due to some

residual nerve damage & the pain in my upper back I feel is caused by

my upper back bearing alot of the load now that I have rods from T11

to my sacrum.

Hope that helps Kay,

Take Care,

Diane-- In , " kayst27 "

<kaystange@...> wrote:

>

> I'm about seven weeks post revision surgery. I'm still having pain

> when I try to roll over at night. Is that normal; did that happen

> with other post-revisionists? I just thought it would be lessening

by

> now. Also, when I get up in the morning, I ache all over: legs,

hips,

> back, etc. Makes me want to get back into bed and not get up.

>

> Also feel that awful aching when I get up from a nap; it hurts

> everywhere. Takes a few minutes of walking around before things

> lessen a bit.

>

> I took Aleve for years prior to the surgery for osteoarthritis

> symptoms (hips, hands, back). I'm no longer taking it because I

> understand it interferes with fusing.

>

> I'm wondering if the aches in muscles and joints are from the

> osteoarthritis or…what. Maybe some bursa inflammation in the

> hips/thighs (bursitis). Just don't know. And I don't know who to

ask

> about it. My surgeon? My PCP?

>

> Appreciate your thoughts.

>

> Kay

>

Guest guest

HI Kay,

I've taken Cymbalta with good results. Also, Cymbalta has been shown to be effective against nerve pain, too. So, in my book, if you need an anti-depressant, might as well take one that may help the pain as well. Good luck!

Bonnie

Thanks for the link, Cam. I’ll be checking it out. Yep, I just spoke with Georganne again who confirmed that Dr. F does not want his patients using Aleve but does allow them to use Celebrex. It’s still an NSAID so I’m not sure why one is acceptable over the other. At my next appointment I’m going to ask him specifically about Celebrex. I agree, I just want to make sure….

Got a call into Dr V so when she phones me back I’ll ask her about the iron. I suspect she’ll want to do some more bloodwork.

I’m not sure what she’s going to recommend for an antidepressant but I’ll check the link on the forum site so I can be prepared for our conversation. Have also heard the brand name Cymbalta discussed in posts and have wondered how effective other forum members have found it to be.

Guest guest

Kay,

I'll answer the questions you posed to Suzanne, since I take Cymbalta. The only side effect I've noticed is occasional nausea if I take Cymbalta right before or during a meal. I now take it after I've finished eating and I'm fine. It helps with depression and with nerve pain.

Bonnie

Suzanne, what negative side effects have you noticed, if any, with taking Cymbalta? On the flip side, how has it been most helpful to you? (If you don’t mind my asking. Just got to thinking these questions may be a bit intrusive. If you feel they are, then please don’t worry about responding, okay?)

Part of Suzanne’s post:

Turns out that I wrote celebrex on the form when I really meant cymbalta.

Guest guest

Thanks (!!!) to

all of you who responded with pain and pain meds info, depression meds info,

and “it’s okay to be where you are because you’re only 7-8

weeks post op so relax” info. It does help to hear how others have

experienced the same things, timelines for experiences, and how you’re

living now. It’s truly reassuring to know I’m on the right track

and things are progressing as they should.

By the way, last

night I took the Flexeril Dr. F’s nurse advised me to take before

bedtime, along with ½ a Vicodin. I slept for 12 hours! (What a slug, I know.) Got

up once for potty break. So much for my usual pain-filled 3-5 hours sleep. Guess

I needed it. My body was probably crying out, THANK YOU.

Today has been absolutely

wonderful.

Also, before I

got out of bed this morning, I spent a few minutes doing stretches. That, too,

seemed to alleviate some of the just-out-of bed aches and pains I normally feel

on first arising. Helped with that stiffening up that happens overnight. Plan

to make that a regular routine.

Are you people

WONDERFUL or what?! I’m goin’ with wonderful.

Guest guest

Dear Kay,

Bravo! I'm glad the Flexeril helped, I know it did for me, just wish I had remembered it but at four years out a lot of this fades( this is why writing your journal of your story helps, I"m just trying to pluck it all from an almost 50 year old brain, better to have it on paper). I'm sure your body needed the rest, and if you can get up after a long sleep more refreshed and less stiff and sore, what a blessing! Two cheers for Flexeril!

RE: [ ] Re: Pain

Thanks (!!!) to all of you who responded with pain and pain meds info, depression meds info, and “it’s okay to be where you are because you’re only 7-8 weeks post op so relax” info. It does help to hear how others have experienced the same things, timelines for experiences, and how you’re living now. It’s truly reassuring to know I’m on the right track and things are progressing as they should.

By the way, last night I took the Flexeril Dr. F’s nurse advised me to take before bedtime, along with ½ a Vicodin. I slept for 12 hours! (What a slug, I know.) Got up once for potty break. So much for my usual pain-filled 3-5 hours sleep. Guess I needed it. My body was probably crying out, THANK YOU.

Today has been absolutely wonderful.

Also, before I got out of bed this morning, I spent a few minutes doing stretches. That, too, seemed to alleviate some of the just-out-of bed aches and pains I normally feel on first arising. Helped with that stiffening up that happens overnight. Plan to make that a regular routine.

Are you people WONDERFUL or what?! I’m goin’ with wonderful.

Guest guest

The doctor put me on Cymbalta right away when I went home. They say

it helps with pain and also mood. So far (and I say " so far " ) haven't

had any " weepies " . So maybe it does work good?

I deal with pain every day. Some days worse than others. I'm up to

staying up for 1 1/2 hrs. straight after I get up. Either first thing

in the morning or for lunch, or after dinner. If there's more time in

there I try to do it once more. I'm also trying to walk more each

day.

Carol

>

> HI Kay,

>

> I've taken Cymbalta with good results. Also, Cymbalta has been

shown to be effective against nerve pain, too. So, in my book, if

you need an anti-depressant, might as well take one that may help the

pain as well. Good luck!

>

>

> Bonnie

>

>

> RE: [ ] Re:Pain

>

>

>

> Thanks for the link, Cam. I'll be checking it out. Yep, I just

spoke with Georganne again who confirmed that Dr. F does not want his

patients using Aleve but does allow them to use Celebrex. It's still

an NSAID so I'm not sure why one is acceptable over the other. At my

next appointment I'm going to ask him specifically about Celebrex. I

agree, I just want to make sure..

>

> Got a call into Dr V so when she phones me back I'll ask her

about the iron. I suspect she'll want to do some more bloodwork.

>

> I'm not sure what she's going to recommend for an antidepressant

but I'll check the link on the forum site so I can be prepared for

our conversation. Have also heard the brand name Cymbalta discussed

in posts and have wondered how effective other forum members have

found it to be.

>

• 4 months later...

I have been drying me legs and such that way since my 6 week check. I don't wear shoes that tie so haven't had that problem. Everything I have just slides on.

Peggy

[ ] Pain

I may have overdone it this weekend with bending my knee up onto the side of the bed and tying my shoes. I had never done that before, so wanted to see how "limber" I am. I was sitting on the edge, and bent it up. I also trimmed my toenails that way too. But now, I have a VERY BAD pain in my left buttock area. I think it's the screw. I have been having pain there, but now it's WORSE. Good thing I see Dr. Hu next Monday!! I'm tired of this already!! I'm at my 6 month point right now, and the directions said a person could bend their knee greater than the 90 degree angle, so I tried it!!?? said I was crazy....she doesn't even tie her own shoes and she's 9 mos. out. She also cannot bring her leg up to put it on something to either dry my leg or shave it. Any thoughts, anyone!Carol

I should have added that maybe you just pulled a muscle by overstretching since you haven't been in that position for 6 months.

Peggy

[ ] Pain

I may have overdone it this weekend with bending my knee up onto the side of the bed and tying my shoes. I had never done that before, so wanted to see how "limber" I am. I was sitting on the edge, and bent it up. I also trimmed my toenails that way too. But now, I have a VERY BAD pain in my left buttock area. I think it's the screw. I have been having pain there, but now it's WORSE. Good thing I see Dr. Hu next Monday!! I'm tired of this already!! I'm at my 6 month point right now, and the directions said a person could bend their knee greater than the 90 degree angle, so I tried it!!?? said I was crazy....she doesn't even tie her own shoes and she's 9 mos. out. She also cannot bring her leg up to put it on something to either dry my leg or shave it. Any thoughts, anyone!Carol

Carol, if I had a 90 degree restriction I don't remember being told about it. I just went with what felt ok to me, and fairly early on I was lying in bed and bringing my feet up to put on socks or try to trim nails. It was a few months before I could fasten shoes or boots myself, but I'm pretty sure I was self-sufficient in this by the 6 month mark. My right foot can come up so my right ankle crosses over my left thigh, which doesn't put me at much less than 90 degrees, but my left foot doesn't like to do that so I have to raise it on a chair or similar to tie shoes. I know this makes the angle less than 90, but it's just for a moment and feels ok. I used the elastic laces for a few months, but when I walk for exercise I feel I need better support, so I went back to regular laces for my walking shoes.

We're all different, with different warnings from our docs. I'm at almost a year, and until my Nov. 15 check-up (Dr. Rand is giving me a somewhat elongated year), I'm allowed to bicycle, swim (with stairs -- no ladders, and no pushing off), and even garden on my knees, but not to lie back in the bathtub!

I hope you didn't harm your fusion, and sort of think it's unlikely, but I'd definitely call your doctor's office and let him/her know what's up.

Sharon

[ ] Pain

I may have overdone it this weekend with bending my knee up onto theside of the bed and tying my shoes. I had never done that before, sowanted to see how "limber" I am. I was sitting on the edge, and bent itup. I also trimmed my toenails that way too. But now, I have a VERY BADpain in my left buttock area. I think it's the screw. I have beenhaving pain there, but now it's WORSE. Good thing I see Dr. Hu nextMonday!! I'm tired of this already!! I'm at my 6 month point right now,and the directions said a person could bend their knee greater than the90 degree angle, so I tried it!!?? said I was crazy....shedoesn't even tie her own shoes and she's 9 mos. out. She also cannotbring her leg up to put it on something to either dry her leg or shaveit. I've been doing that for awhile. I can usually lift my leg that high by myself. Sometimes it needs a little assistance. What is common at this stage (6 mos postop)Any thoughts, anyone!CarolSun Sep 9, 2007 3:33 pm Show Message Option --------------------------------------------------------------------Up ThreadView SourceUse Fixed Width FontUnwrap Lines--------------------------------------------------------------------"Carol" <dcvaughansbcglobal (DOT) net> carolmarie20... Send IM Send Email Invite to 360°

Carol,

I am two and a half years out and I can barely manage that move! I

watched in amazement as Kam was able to lean down and place her palms

on the floor at the retreat at 16 months post-op. Perhaps it is

possible that it is just the muscles and tendons " screaming " from the

first big stretch?

I couldn't really attend my toes the first year and still have a bit

of a struggle. I can get my leg up easily enough, it's the leaning

forward afterward that seems to stop either because my

hamstrings/calves say " no way " or there is no more give in my

hip/pelvis/spine construct...I am not sure which!

I know how tiresome this must be for you. Honestly I thought the time

between where you are now and the one year mark was the longest. You

keep thinking you are going to see real improvement, but for me it

was nothing, nothing, nothing and then all of a sudden gains seemed

to happen after my 1 year anniversary. I hope DrHu can help separate

what is healing pain and what is implant related. Let us know how the

checkup goes. Maybe you could try ice on the sore area if you

haven't already? It might just help calm things down if they are

inflammed.

Take Care, Cam