him but didn't need to be coz he's a real darling :-) Have you had a

chat with him and asked whether you need to get something other than

NAE as it takes a while to get to you, might be worth ordering

something now and taking the NAE in the meantime? At least you'd have

it ready for when you see him then? Ruth x

> >

> > Shelia

> > I have already had the 24hr adrenal salivary tests and they show

> poor/compromised adrenals. You may have forgot me!

> > I now take NAE but am doubting it will do anything for me and may

> need something better

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________________________________

> Not happy with your email address?.

> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

>

Guest guest

Hi

No I havent spoke to him, I havent got long to wait until I see him. I am taking NAE, 5 days now, this is the first morning that I havent felt too sick, i am going to up it to 2 a day tomorrow. Do you or anyone else know how NAE works, does it make you produce more Cortisol? My levels were very low

From: lostgirl7784 <ruthmillward77@...>Subject: Re: adrenal supportthyroid treatment Date: Tuesday, 8 July, 2008, 6:55 PM

Hi , that's brilliant and it's good that you don't have a long wait. He'll sort you out :-) I was really nervous when I went to see him but didn't need to be coz he's a real darling :-) Ruth x> >> > Shelia> > I have already had the 24hr adrenal salivary tests and they show > poor/compromised adrenals. You may have forgot me!> > I now take NAE but am doubting it will do anything for me and may > need

something better> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new. html>

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Hi Darton_s,

Adrenal support is not required unless you are suffering the symptoms of

low adrenal.

[mailto:thyroid treatment ] On Behalf Of darton_s

Sent: 07 July 2008 08:59

Subject: adrenal support

So - if Adrenal support is required with Armour, what do I take and

where do I get it from please?

------------------------------------

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing

medication.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

HI - and welcome to our forum. I wish you had come with better news, but sadly, the majority of members here have come because they are being treated appallingly within the NHS who refuse to give them the care and support they need. Doctors within the NHS are taught absolutely nothing about thyroid problems, apart from the fact that they know to give you a thyroid function test, and if the results are returned within the reference interval, that means you do not have a thyroid problem - so kindly go away and stop bothering the poor over-worked doctor.

Neither are they taught anything about low adrenal reserve, and are only taught that if they do a short synacthen test and you don't jump out of your chair, then you have 's disease, or Cushing's syndrome, though as that is difficult to diagnose, they again tell you that you don't have an adrenal problem, and yes please, kindly go away and stop bothering the poor over-worked doctor.

It is absolutely ridiculous that GP's and endocrinologists (who should know better) give NO consideration whatsoever to low adrenal reserve which has nothing whatsoever to do with Cushing's or 's disease, and no support is provided,as recommended by ALL pharmacopoeia, and, indeed, Mims itself.

I would be tempted to take a copy of Dr Peatfield's paper on the Thyroid/Adrenal Connection to your endocrinologist and ask him why he is refusing to recognise such a problem in his patients, and does he know he is responsible, through his lack of knowledge, for his patients remaining ill. You will find this paper in our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and then click on 'Hypothyroidism' in our Menu, and in the drop down MENU click on 'Associated Conditions' and then on 'Adrenals' . At the top of the page that opens, that is the paper I am talking about.

Seriously though, if you suffer with low adrenal reserve, you will NOT get this treated within the NHS, doctors are too frightened to treat outside the recommended protocol. Should they dare do this, they will be reported to the GMC and run the risk of losing their livelihood - FACT.

Read everything you can about the thyroid/adrenal connection and you will have to treat yourself, unless you can find a doctor privately who will take this on.

Many of the members here with low cortisol and DHEA start to use Nutri Adrenal Extra, or Adrenal Dynamite or some other adrenal support and build this up gradually. If this is insufficient, some then start Isocort, which is not as strong as Cortisone but stronger than NAE - and if that fails to boost your adrenals, then try cortisone.

Would you be able to see a private doctor - though even many of the private doctors I know are reluctant to treat adrenals. WHY??? However, our Patron and one of our Medical Advisers, Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield runs metabolic clinics throughout the UK and he very much recognises the adrenal/thyroid connection. Low adrenals can be responsible for so many people suffering unnecessarily. You can check whether he has a clinic near you by again, going to our website, look in the right hand column and scroll down until you see 'Update, Dr peatfield's clinics'

I hope you get the help and support you need here, and you will see we are a campaigning group trying to get the NHS to change its diagnostic and treatment protocol. You will meet many other sufferers here who can tell a similar tale to you, and you will meet some good friends too who will help you - unlike your local Endoprat :o)

Luv - Sheila

Hello everyone. This is the first time I have posted so I hope I amdoing correctly. I have very low cortisol and DHEA levels andyesterday I went to endo again. I asked for prescription for cortisolas I obviously had adrenal fatigue (never heard of this condition) andno it would be unethical to prescribe steroids as this wouldcompletely suppress adrenals. I tried to explain that this was notthe case in very low physiological dosage for a relatively shortperiod of time and had been successful. Never heard of it and wouldnot consider this treatment until I had 's. Can anyone tell meif they use/have used steroids to support adrenals, please, as amwriting to endo and GP and would like to say I have first handknowledge of this treatment being used successfully. Thanks. ENo virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.6/1574 - Release Date: 25/07/2008 16:27

Guest guest

Yet another endocrinologist who doesn't know how to treat his patients because he obviously doesn't even recognise they have a problem. Why is it that you actually were lucky enough to get an NHS diagnosis regarding your low adrenal reserve, yet this man will not even accept that. What DO we need to convince them. Good for you that you are taking the trouble to write to him with an explanation, but heaven forbid, it really is coming to something when patients have to tell their consultant (who is supposed to be an expert) about medication for adrenals and the reason why and the difference between a physiological and therapeutic dose.

What do you mean when you say you would have liked to say you had first hand knowledge of people who do take low dose steroids but that you had no answers to your post. Can you point me to your message please and we can post it again, because we have members who do use cortef and are greatly satisfied.

I am sending you the list of doctors to your private address , but I have no idea whether they treat adrenals or not - best to get their phone numbers and ask their secretaries.

luv - Sheila

Hello Sheila Thanks for your reply to my post. I did see DrPeatfield at the end of November last year and followed his advice andstarted taking NAE. However, my GP ordered a blood test for cortisollevel and on 22 December had prescription for 15mg hydrocortisone +0.05mg Florinef which, as it fitted in with Dr Peatfield's treatmentsheet, I switched from NAE to hydrocortisone (mainly to save money),but I did feel almost immediate improvement on this. The troublestarted when I had to go to see endo. What I am doing now is writingto her (copy to my GP) pointing out the difference between therapeuticand physiological doses of cortisol and enclosing a copy of chapter 8(3) from Dr Peatfield's book. I am also pointing out the consequencesof not treating adrenal fatigue and allowing a decline into(presumably) total collapse backed up by 2 relevant paragraphs fromThe Role of the Adrenal Glands. I realize this won't make anydifference, but will give me satisfaction and also I want it on recordthat it was considered ethical not to treat a condition until itdeteriorates (with all pain and suffering involved) so that a patienthas to take largish amounts of steroids for the rest of their lifewith not chance of improvement - but it is not ethical to treat thiscondition in earlier stages involving small amount of steroid for alimited period of time only to allow recovery. Unbelievable! I wouldhave liked to have been able to say that I had first hand knowledge ofpeople who do take low dose steroids for short periods successfully toboost adrenals, but I had no answers to my post. I'm back on NAE now,but I think it must take a long time for improvement. Do you have anendo on your list in my area - Bury St Edmunds - by any chance? Thanks. No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.6/1578 - Release Date: 28/07/2008 17:13

• 1 month later...

We usually recommend liquorice, Siberian Ginseng, Vitamin C. the Siberian Ginseng is the best - not the other Ginseng's.

Luv - Sheila

Are there any specific vitamins which will give a bit of adrenal support to someone who is just stressed out temporarily. Not NAE or anything like that.

Lilian

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.14/1647 - Release Date: 02/09/2008 06:02

Vitamin C is vital for proper functioning of the adrenals. Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) is known as the “anti-stress vitamin,” and helps play a role in the production of the adrenal hormones and the formation of antibodies. It is also involved in the production of neurotransmitters. The adrenal glands do not function properly without pantothenic acid. Tell your friend to also take plenty of salt - salt can be almost as good as cortisol in an adrenal crisis. The liquorice she should get is the liquorice root. Soak in boiling water and drink.

Luv - Sheila

Thanks Sheila, I have passed information on to a friend who is under temporary stress at the moment, and is feeling a bit headachy.

Lilian

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.15/1648 - Release Date: 02/09/2008 17:29

• 1 month later...

Ruth

If it's any help I asked my GP, some time ago when I was still being

prescribed levo, whether it was an appropriate treatment as a hospital

consultant had already told me that my adrenals could be a problem and

I was already aware of the adrenal warning on the pack insert. She

scolded me like a naughty child by replying " If we had to test every

thyroid patient for adrenals, we'd never get anything else done! "

So to be honest, that was pretty much when I decided to go it alone,

boost my adrenal with NAX (which made me feel amazing for a while) and

then eventually start Armour.

I've had a few ups and downs since if I'm honest, but if nothing else

this horrible condition has taught me patience and I wouldn't have done

it any other way.

Pen x

Hello Molly

Welcome to this

forum and I hope you get all the support you need here. Jump in at any time if

you have questions you need answering, and somebody will be along to help. I am

delighted you will be seeing Dr P at the end of November. Do you have any

recent thyroid function tests and if so, please post them here, together with

the reference range for each of the tests. Also, get your ferritin level

(stored iron) checked. Read also through the information on 'Associated

Conditions' that go along with being hypothyroid in our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk as any of these

conditions will stop your thyroid hormone replacement from actually being

absorbed.

You will see from

the information I have pasted below from Dr Thierry Hertoghe, probably the world's

master on Hormones, that to start taking 10mgs of Prednisolone is too high. Who

recommended you start on that dose? I hope this might help you:

CORTISONE DEFICIENCY

Dr. Thierry Hertoghe

For

everybody whose results show low cortisol production in the morning and

increasing levels (or even high) cortisol levels at night, there are many ways

to naturally boost the cortisol levels. The principal lifestyle changes that

boost the effects of the cortisol are:

1)

Increase exposure to sunlight, especially in the morning and maximise darkness

at night by sleeping with an eye mask for example, which helps having optimal

cortisol levels during the day and minimal cortisol at night. Avoid living and

working in semi--darkness during the day.

2)

At each meal, blood levels of cortisol temporarily triple. Dietary saturated

fat is necessary for the production of cortisol as saturated fat cholesterol is

the first building block for cortisol synthesis. Avoid alcohol, vinegar,

caffeinated drinks, sugar, sweets, soft drinks, cookies, bread, pastas and

cereals. Avoid cereal fibre (whole grain bread, bran flakes) Avoid milk

products.

3)

Beverages with caffeine (coffee, tea, cola) and alcohol should be avoided

before bedtime as caffeine can increase cortisol and considerably reduce

night-time secretion of melatonin, a hormone that tends to reduce any cortisol

production at night. Dietary starch and especially sugar and sweets increase the

blood sugar level, which in turn, reduces cortisol production.

4)

Excessive prolonged stress exhausts the adrenal glands that finally become

unable to produce adequate amounts of cortisol anymore (burn-out syndrome).

Evening or night-time stress is a strong stimulator of cortisol

secretion, but depletes the adrenal supply of cortisol resulting in decreased

cortisol levels for the next morning at a time when the serum level of cortisol

should be high.

Cortisol

production can be enhanced by correcting any other hormone deficiencies that

influence the working of the adrenal glands. The principal hormone replacement

therapies that can increase or decrease the secretion of cortisol and/or its

action are: testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, anabolic (androgen) steroids.

These are strong stimulators of cortisol. A mild stimulator is thyroid

hormone. Strong inhibiters of cortisol are growth hormone,

hyperthyroidism, melatonin excess. Mild inhibitors are oral oestrogen

(including the birth control pill) DHEA, fludrocortisone, and aldosterone.

Cortisol

supplementation provides one of the quickest improvements of all the hormone

therapies. The higher the dose, the quicker the short-term benefit, Nevertheless,

he recommends using small physiological doses for most cortisol deficiencies

that are not life-threatening.

Patients

on cortisol therapy may improve during the first days of intake, but complete

recovery from physical signs and symptoms of cortisol deficiency takes more

time. With patients who are less responsive, optimal results may take as much

as two to three months.

A

lack of responsiveness most often has to do with a poor diet (high in sweets

for example). Therefore, the patient should be encouraged to improve his diet

as a way of accelerating progress. Please go to our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and click on

‘Hypothyroidism’ and on

‘Nutrition’.

Once

the treatment has started, fine-tuning the dose means finding the optimal dose

for the patient and not a dose that is slightly too low or too high. This

process is primarily achieved by carefully checking physical signs and symptoms

and much less by relying on lab tests. The optimal dose is the dose that

relieve the patient completely from the symptoms of cortisol deficiency without

causing any signs of cortisol excess. Dosing by lab. tests may help to some

degree to avoid severe over - or under dosing, but are less helpful for the

fine-tuning. The optimal dose may vary following changes in the need for

cortisol.

Dr.

Hertoghe recommends that in most cases, cortisol can be started at the

estimated dose. The minimal efficient dose in women is usually 15 - 20 mg per day.

In men, it is about 30 mg per day divided in at least two separate doses: one

given in the morning and one at noon.

There are two fundamental contraindications to cortisol

supplementation: when it is not necessary or when it could cause harm. First:

Cortisol treatment is not needed when lab tests are normal. In that case,

cortisol treatment will generally not help and may, on the contrary, cause harm.

Second, cortisol treatment – even appropriate replacement doses of

cortisol, may cause harm if the patient does not have sufficient levels of

anabolic hormones such as DHEA and sex hormones to counter cortisol catabolic

effects. The catabolic effects of cortisol can cause excessive breakdown of the

tissues of the body, which result in osteoporosis (loss of bone tissue), skin

atrophy (thinning), ecchymosis, petechia (bruising) and immunosuppression

(decrease in immune defences). So the recommendation is to treat only when

necessary and to do it safely with the smallest effective physiologic doses and

with simultaneous correction of any deficit in anabolic hormones.

According to Dr. Hertoghe, the recommended dosing for

cortisol is:

MEN

DEFICIENCY

PRODUCT

7.8am

Noon

4.0pm

Before

bed

Borderline

HYDROCORTISONE

15mg

5mg

Mild

20mg

10mg

Moderate

25mg

10mg

5mg

Severe to total

30mg

10mg

10mg

5mg

Bordeline

PREDNISOLONE

2.5mg

Mild

5mg

Moderate

6-7.5mg

Borderline

METYLPREDNISOLONE

2mg

Mild

4mg

Moderate

6-8mg

WOMEN

Borderline

HYDROCORTISONE

10mg

5mg

Mild

10mg

10mg

Moderate

15mg

10mg

5mg

Severe to total

20mg

10mg

5mg

5mg

Borderline

PREDNISOLONE

2.5mg

Mild

5mg

Moderate

7.5mg

Borderlione

METYLPREDNISOLONE

2mg

Mild

4mg

Moderate

6-8mg

Hirsutism

DEXAMETHASONE

0.1-0.5 mg

The

principal mental and emotional signs and symptoms of cortisol excess after

several hours to several days are - overly emotional, excessive agitation,

euphoric, insensitive to human suffering, craves stress and creates it,

stressing others but not oneself, insomnia.

The principal physical signs and symptoms of cortisol

excess after several hours – days are: cardiac erethism (heart

pounding in chest. Several days to more than a week; swollen hands and feet,

swollen face, high blood pressure. After several weeks to several months:

weight gain, obesity, ecchymosis (easily bruises), Petechiae (tiny skin

haemorrhages) and after several months: atrophic skin, osteoporosis.

What

to do in the case of an urgent and stressful cortisol overdose?

Reduce the dose but do not stop completely, except for a

synthetic dexamethasone that can remain in the body for 48 hours.

I have been taking levothyroxine for 20 years, following a total

thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer. Then 5 years ago I became very

ill and was diagnosed with CFS.

Anyway, I've just ordered Dr Peatfields book, and also the Adrenal

Fatigue book by Dr . Based on what I've read on various

websites, I recognised the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and started

taking pregnenolone 10mg daily.

Pregnenolone has helped a little (for instance my body temp is much

better - I havent felt this warm in years !!). However, its not doing

much to help with the fatigue - I'm still drained after the slightest

exertion and many of the other symptoms remain.

I believe that I have adrenal fatigue & am hypothyroid.

So my question is this; how long should I let the 10mg dose of

pregnenolone settle in before increasing it? I am thinking of

increasing it to 15mg.

I am seeing Dr Peatfield end of november (I feel very fortunate) but

I'd like to do as much as I can before then so that I can make the

most of the visit.

many thanks!

_._,___

Pen, isn't that awful. I gave my GP Dr Peatfield's book

to help her and a fortnight later, when I went back to see her, the brown

envelope I had put it in was still sitting on her window sill. I asked her if

she had read it and she responded " …if I read everything that every

patient brought in for me to ready, I would have no time to see patients… " .

I took it back there and then - she sacked me shortly after wards for daring to

criticise their policy on not prescribing any other medication for

hypothyroidism if the patients did not regain their health on thyroxine. The practice

manager wrote to me telling me they felt it would be better if I saw another

doctor in another practice because I had criticised their practice. They did me

a great favour - my new doctor immediately prescribed Armour for me, as

recommended by my endocrinologist. Don't let the ******** get you down - and

show 'em that you do have a brain.

Luv - Sheila

Ruth

If it's any help I asked my GP, some time ago when I was still being

prescribed levo, whether it was an appropriate treatment as a hospital

consultant had already told me that my adrenals could be a problem and

I was already aware of the adrenal warning on the pack insert. She

scolded me like a naughty child by replying " If we had to test every

thyroid patient for adrenals, we'd never get anything else done! "

So to be honest, that was pretty much when I decided to go it alone,

boost my adrenal with NAX (which made me feel amazing for a while) and

then eventually start Armour.

I've had a few ups and downs since if I'm honest, but if nothing else

this horrible condition has taught me patience and I wouldn't have done

it any other way.

Pen x

Hi Sheila

Many thanks for posting that - its very interesting. I dont have

updated thyroid or adrenal tests just yet. I was going to wait until

nearer to my appointment with Dr P to get them repeated - that way

they'd be recent enough to be of benefit when I meet him.

To tell you the truth, I'm relieved to be seeing Dr P. There's only

so much you can learn from books. At this stage, I really need the

benefit of his years of experience to show me the " way out " , so to speak.

>

> Hello Molly

>

> Welcome to this forum and I hope you get all the support you need

here. Jump

> in at any time if you have questions you need answering, and

somebody will

> be along to help. I am delighted you will be seeing Dr P at the end of

> November. Do you have any recent thyroid function tests and if so,

please

> post them here, together with the reference range for each of the tests.

> Also, get your ferritin level (stored iron) checked. Read also

through the

> information on 'Associated Conditions' that go along with being

hypothyroid

> in our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk as any of these conditions will

stop your

> thyroid hormone replacement from actually being absorbed.

>

> You will see from the information I have pasted below from Dr Thierry

> Hertoghe, probably the world's master on Hormones, that to start taking

> 10mgs of Prednisolone is too high. Who recommended you start on that

dose? I

> hope this might help you:

>

> CORTISONE DEFICIENCY

>

> Dr. Thierry Hertoghe

>

>

>

> For everybody whose results show low cortisol production in the

morning and

> increasing levels (or even high) cortisol levels at night, there are

many

> ways to naturally boost the cortisol levels. The principal lifestyle

changes

> that boost the effects of the cortisol are:

>

>

>

> 1) Increase exposure to sunlight, especially in the morning and maximise

> darkness at night by sleeping with an eye mask for example, which helps

> having optimal cortisol levels during the day and minimal cortisol

at night.

> Avoid living and working in semi--darkness during the day.

>

>

>

> 2) At each meal, blood levels of cortisol temporarily triple. Dietary

> saturated fat is necessary for the production of cortisol as

saturated fat

> cholesterol is the first building block for cortisol synthesis. Avoid

> alcohol, vinegar, caffeinated drinks, sugar, sweets, soft drinks,

cookies,

> bread, pastas and cereals. Avoid cereal fibre (whole grain bread, bran

> flakes) Avoid milk products.

>

>

>

> 3) Beverages with caffeine (coffee, tea, cola) and alcohol should be

avoided

> before bedtime as caffeine can increase cortisol and considerably reduce

> night-time secretion of melatonin, a hormone that tends to reduce any

> cortisol production at night. Dietary starch and especially sugar

and sweets

> increase the blood sugar level, which in turn, reduces cortisol

production.

>

>

>

> 4) Excessive prolonged stress exhausts the adrenal glands that finally

> become unable to produce adequate amounts of cortisol anymore (burn-out

> syndrome). Evening or night-time stress is a strong stimulator of

cortisol

> secretion, but depletes the adrenal supply of cortisol resulting in

> decreased cortisol levels for the next morning at a time when the serum

> level of cortisol should be high.

>

>

>

> Cortisol production can be enhanced by correcting any other hormone

> deficiencies that influence the working of the adrenal glands. The

principal

> hormone replacement therapies that can increase or decrease the

secretion of

> cortisol and/or its action are: testosterone, dihydrotestosterone,

anabolic

> (androgen) steroids. These are strong stimulators of cortisol. A mild

> stimulator is thyroid hormone. Strong inhibiters of cortisol are growth

> hormone, hyperthyroidism, melatonin excess. Mild inhibitors are oral

> oestrogen (including the birth control pill) DHEA, fludrocortisone, and

> aldosterone.

>

>

>

> Cortisol supplementation provides one of the quickest improvements

of all

> the hormone therapies. The higher the dose, the quicker the short-term

> benefit, Nevertheless, he recommends using small physiological doses for

> most cortisol deficiencies that are not life-threatening.

>

>

>

> Patients on cortisol therapy may improve during the first days of

intake,

> but complete recovery from physical signs and symptoms of cortisol

> deficiency takes more time. With patients who are less responsive,

optimal

> results may take as much as two to three months.

>

>

>

> A lack of responsiveness most often has to do with a poor diet (high in

> sweets for example). Therefore, the patient should be encouraged to

improve

> his diet as a way of accelerating progress. Please go to our website

> www.tpa-uk.org.uk <http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/> and click on

'Hypothyroidism'

> and on

>

> 'Nutrition'.

>

>

>

> Once the treatment has started, fine-tuning the dose means finding the

> optimal dose for the patient and not a dose that is slightly too low

or too

> high. This process is primarily achieved by carefully checking physical

> signs and symptoms and much less by relying on lab tests. The

optimal dose

> is the dose that relieve the patient completely from the symptoms of

> cortisol deficiency without causing any signs of cortisol excess.

Dosing by

> lab. tests may help to some degree to avoid severe over - or under

dosing,

> but are less helpful for the fine-tuning. The optimal dose may vary

> following changes in the need for cortisol.

>

>

>

> Dr. Hertoghe recommends that in most cases, cortisol can be started

at the

> estimated dose. The minimal efficient dose in women is usually 15 -

20 mg

> per day. In men, it is about 30 mg per day divided in at least two

separate

> doses: one given in the morning and one at noon.

>

>

>

> There are two fundamental contraindications to cortisol supplementation:

> when it is not necessary or when it could cause harm. First: Cortisol

> treatment is not needed when lab tests are normal. In that case,

cortisol

> treatment will generally not help and may, on the contrary, cause harm.

> Second, cortisol treatment - even appropriate replacement doses of

cortisol,

> may cause harm if the patient does not have sufficient levels of

anabolic

> hormones such as DHEA and sex hormones to counter cortisol catabolic

> effects. The catabolic effects of cortisol can cause excessive

breakdown of

> the tissues of the body, which result in osteoporosis (loss of bone

tissue),

> skin atrophy (thinning), ecchymosis, petechia (bruising) and

> immunosuppression (decrease in immune defences). So the

recommendation is to

> treat only when necessary and to do it safely with the smallest

effective

> physiologic doses and with simultaneous correction of any deficit in

> anabolic hormones.

>

>

>

> According to Dr. Hertoghe, the recommended dosing for cortisol is:

>

>

>

> .

>

>

>

> MEN

>

>

> DEFICIENCY

>

>

> PRODUCT

>

> 7.8am

>

> Noon

>

> 4.0pm

>

> Before bed

>

>

> Borderline

>

>

> HYDROCORTISONE

>

> 15mg

>

> 5mg

>

>

>

> Mild

>

> 20mg

>

> 10mg

>

>

>

> Moderate

>

> 25mg

>

> 10mg

>

> 5mg

>

>

>

> Severe to total

>

> 30mg

>

> 10mg

>

> 10mg

>

> 5mg

>

>

> Bordeline

>

>

> PREDNISOLONE

>

> 2.5mg

>

>

>

> Mild

>

> 5mg

>

>

>

> Moderate

>

> 6-7.5mg

>

>

>

> Borderline

>

>

> METYLPREDNISOLONE

>

> 2mg

>

>

>

> Mild

>

> 4mg

>

>

>

> Moderate

>

> 6-8mg

>

>

>

>

> WOMEN

>

> Borderline

>

>

> HYDROCORTISONE

>

> 10mg

>

> 5mg

>

>

>

> Mild

>

> 10mg

>

> 10mg

>

>

>

> Moderate

>

> 15mg

>

> 10mg

>

> 5mg

>

>

>

> Severe to total

>

> 20mg

>

> 10mg

>

> 5mg

>

> 5mg

>

>

> Borderline

>

>

> PREDNISOLONE

>

> 2.5mg

>

>

>

> Mild

>

> 5mg

>

>

>

> Moderate

>

> 7.5mg

>

>

>

> Borderlione

>

>

> METYLPREDNISOLONE

>

> 2mg

>

>

>

> Mild

>

> 4mg

>

>

>

> Moderate

>

> 6-8mg

>

>

>

>

> Hirsutism

>

> DEXAMETHASONE

>

> 0.1-0.5 mg

>

>

>

>

>

> The principal mental and emotional signs and symptoms of cortisol excess

> after several hours to several days are - overly emotional, excessive

> agitation, euphoric, insensitive to human suffering, craves stress and

> creates it, stressing others but not oneself, insomnia.

>

>

>

> The principal physical signs and symptoms of cortisol excess after

several

> hours - days are: cardiac erethism (heart pounding in chest. Several

days to

> more than a week; swollen hands and feet, swollen face, high blood

pressure.

> After several weeks to several months: weight gain, obesity, ecchymosis

> (easily bruises), Petechiae (tiny skin haemorrhages) and after several

> months: atrophic skin, osteoporosis.

>

>

>

> What to do in the case of an urgent and stressful cortisol overdose?

>

>

>

> Reduce the dose but do not stop completely, except for a synthetic

> dexamethasone that can remain in the body for 48 hours.

>

>

>

>

>

> I have been taking levothyroxine for 20 years, following a total

> thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer. Then 5 years ago I became very

> ill and was diagnosed with CFS.

>

> Anyway, I've just ordered Dr Peatfields book, and also the Adrenal

> Fatigue book by Dr . Based on what I've read on various

> websites, I recognised the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and started

> taking pregnenolone 10mg daily.

>

> Pregnenolone has helped a little (for instance my body temp is much

> better - I havent felt this warm in years !!). However, its not doing

> much to help with the fatigue - I'm still drained after the slightest

> exertion and many of the other symptoms remain.

>

> I believe that I have adrenal fatigue & am hypothyroid.

>

> So my question is this; how long should I let the 10mg dose of

> pregnenolone settle in before increasing it? I am thinking of

> increasing it to 15mg.

>

> I am seeing Dr Peatfield end of november (I feel very fortunate) but

> I'd like to do as much as I can before then so that I can make the

> most of the visit.

>

> many thanks!

>

> _._,___

>

Hi Molly

You would find Dr Peatfield's book of GREAT benefit. It is called "Your thyroid and how to keep it healthy" . He wrote this book especially for patients so that you can understand how everything works, why it works, or doesn't and what you, the patient, can do about it. it covers everything. You can buy it from Amazon very cheaply, but if you do purchase it from them, please do this through our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk . On the Home Page in the right hand column under TPA-UK News, scroll down until you see the Amazon link and then buy it through there, because that means TPA-UK gets a tiny proportion.

Luv - Sheila> Hi Sheila> Many thanks for posting that - its very interesting. I dont have> updated thyroid or adrenal tests just yet. I was going to wait until> nearer to my appointment with Dr P to get them repeated - that way> they'd be recent enough to be of benefit when I meet him.> > To tell you the truth, I'm relieved to be seeing Dr P. There's only> so much you can learn from books. At this stage, I really need the> benefit of his years of experience to show me the "way out", so to speak.>

Hello Molly Bawn,

I have been taking preg since July I think, and I take 60 mg every day. Mine only comein 60mg capsules! but initially I took the capsules apart and ramped up slowly.

Dr. Pr's book says about 30mg, but somewhere ( sorry can't recall) said 1 mg per every kilogram of body weight.

Preg has had alot of benefits for me with the bonus of no side effects, but sadly i too am still fatigued, part of that is surely due to anaemia. i have yet to begin treating my thyroid. It is the 'mother hormone' but I don't think that means it can do everything!

Best,

Wannette

Recent Activity

New Members

New Photos

New FilesVisit Your Group

Health

Early Detection

Know the symptoms

of breast cancer.

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Group

to share and learn.

Dog Group

Connect and share with

dog owners like you

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Not saying it is but it could be the caramel colouring.... it isn't in the others for some reason. I wrote to Nutri and had this reply: (we had a discussion on here a few weeks ago about sulfites and their effects on some people and caramel coulrouing contains sulfites - but Gemma says the amount is very low)

Anne

xx

Hi Anne,

Sorry for the delay - I have just returned from my holiday. Caramel colour is the dark brown material that results from the carefully controlled heat treatment of food grade carbohydrates. The source of the caramel is granulated sugar, bakers special. It is only used as a colour, and not for any other reason.

I have questioned the levels of sulphites and even at 3-4 tablets a day the level would still be < 10 ppm.

We may be able to have this removed in the future - I am looking into it, but for now, it will remain in the product.

I hope this info is useful for you and will allow you to make a decision as to whether to continue with the product.

If you'd like any further help do please let me know!

Kind regards,

Gemma

Gemma Warburton BSc (hons) MSc Nutritionist and Legal Affairs

Nutri Ltd www.nutri.co.uk Tel: 0800 212 742 Email: gemma.warburton@...

On 14/11/2008, <juliamoonrock@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I usually take Nutri Adrenal for my adrenal support but when I finished my last bottle,I started using Nutri Adrenal Extra (as I had a bottle in the cupboard). I developed a cracking headache within about two hours.I thought it might be another supp or something I had eaten so I eliminated everything one by one and still had the headache.I stopped the NAX today and the headache just died away.

Has anyone got any idea as to why this is happening ? I've ordered some more NA but I would still like to know.

Many thanks,

julia

• 9 months later...

If you can't stop taking your Armour, then introduce the adrenal

glandulars (I am assuming you are talking about the glandulars and not

Cortisol) gradually. If you start to get palpitations or other symptoms of

hyperthyroidism, then you know to drop your Armour by half a grain and see if

that helps. Sometimes, we just have to " suck it and see " .

Luv - Sheila

I had to stop taking adrenal support a few weeks ago because of the side

effects. However, I would like to see if I can start again for a while. I am

reluctant to stop taking Armour, even for a few days, so is it really necessary

to do this before taking adrenal support again,and what would be the

consequences of taking both together?

Best wishes

Joyce

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.73/2338 - Release Date: 08/31/09

17:52:00

• 2 weeks later...

Also do not forget to take lots of vitamin C with glandular because that really

fortifies glandular intake. Of course all other minerals and vitamins too.

Although I am currently not taking glandulars and cortef ( a break after

three years) I like reading this particular piece now and again.  Myths about

burnout

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/adrenal_burnout.htm

Subject: Adrenal support

Received: Monday, September 14, 2009, 11:28 AM

Hi all,

Recently I've become very aware of how important adequate adrenal

support has been to my initial recovery, relapse, and second recovery.

In fact, this may have always been my #1 issue, including the reason why

I cannot tolerate heavy metal detox without simultaneously supporting

the adrenals.

Looking back, I see that my initial ES problems occurred after I stopped

taking a cortico-steroid nasal spray (Beconase), which is essentially

" adrenal-replacemen t " therapy (and most certainly weakens the adrenals

over the longterm, as they see that they're not needed if the drugs

are doing all of their work).

During my initial recovery, I was taking supplements to help rebuild my

adrenal glands (Drenatrophin PMG and Paraplex from Standard Process).

And I definitely improved during this time.

During my relapse, I was not taking any adrenal support supplements, and

was even becoming caffeine-dependent (Yerba Mate) to have enough

energy to get through the day. Unfortunately, while providing short

term benefits, caffeine causes long term weakening of the adrenals.

During my second recovery, I was back on adrenal support -- Adrenal

Desicated and Drenatrophin PMG from Standard Process. And I just

recently ordered some new supplements, Adrenal Cortex from Nutricology,

IsoCort, and " Dr. s Adrenal Rebuilder " . I must say that IsoCort

really helps out with immediate energy levels, and maybe also EMF

anxiety symptoms. Perhaps this is a healthy caffeine alternative?

So if anyone here is suffering from adrenal insufficiency symptoms, you

might want to look into adding some adrenal support. These symptoms

would include:

* fatigue

* dependency on caffeine to get through the day

* inability to handle stress

* anxiety

Marc

brilliant article, thank you so much for posting this.

Ada

Subject: Adrenal support

groups (DOT) com

Received: Monday, September 14, 2009, 11:28 AM

Hi all,

Recently I've become very aware of how important adequate adrenal

support has been to my initial recovery, relapse, and second recovery.

In fact, this may have always been my #1 issue, including the reason why

I cannot tolerate heavy metal detox without simultaneously supporting

the adrenals.

Looking back, I see that my initial ES problems occurred after I stopped

taking a cortico-steroid nasal spray (Beconase), which is essentially

" adrenal-replacemen t " therapy (and most certainly weakens the adrenals

over the longterm, as they see that they're not needed if the drugs

are doing all of their work).

During my initial recovery, I was taking supplements to help rebuild my

adrenal glands (Drenatrophin PMG and Paraplex from Standard Process).

And I definitely improved during this time.

During my relapse, I was not taking any adrenal support supplements, and

was even becoming caffeine-dependent (Yerba Mate) to have enough

energy to get through the day. Unfortunately, while providing short

term benefits, caffeine causes long term weakening of the adrenals.

During my second recovery, I was back on adrenal support -- Adrenal

Desicated and Drenatrophin PMG from Standard Process. And I just

recently ordered some new supplements, Adrenal Cortex from Nutricology,

IsoCort, and " Dr. s Adrenal Rebuilder " . I must say that IsoCort

really helps out with immediate energy levels, and maybe also EMF

anxiety symptoms. Perhaps this is a healthy caffeine alternative?

So if anyone here is suffering from adrenal insufficiency symptoms, you

might want to look into adding some adrenal support. These symptoms

would include:

* fatigue

* dependency on caffeine to get through the day

* inability to handle stress

* anxiety

Marc

• 6 months later...
Guest guest

Sunbathe?! Are you serious? That's horrible for your skin. At a minimum, it

causes premature aging.

I live in Florida. It's a rather backward state (at least in the non-

metropolitan areas), and people aren't good about protecting themselves from the

sun. It amazes me how many people I've come across who have had cancerous

growths from sun exposure.

>

> > Gracia,

> > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal support?

Something on the cheap side.

>

Guest guest

The idea that sun exposure is bad for people has been debunked. It turns

out that many more much more fatal cancers are caused by lack of sunshine.

Not to mention depression and whole range of other ailments. Hiding from

the sun is the cause of the epidemic of Vit D deficiency. I hid from the

sun for 20 years, and finally just decided it was wrong never to have any

sun-- my skin was pallid and prone to fungal infections. We evolved with

the sun. We need it. But don't take my word for it. Here's Dr. Mercola's

info on it, and I think most will agree that Dr Mercola, while giving a lot

of good information, does not go out on radical limbs with his information:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/24/lack-of-sunshine-c\

auses-600-000-cancers-a-year.aspx

>The dangers of sun exposure have been greatly exaggerated, and the

>benefits highly underestimated. Sun exposure is not the major reason

>people develop skin cancer. I know many of you might be surprised by this,

>but this is simply not the truth, and buying into this lie will most

>assuredly deprive you of the vital benefits the sun can provide.

>

>And one of the major benefits is lowering your risk of getting cancer --

>the number one cause of death. As this groundbreaking study found, 600,000

>cases of cancer could be prevented every year just by increasing your

>levels of vitamin D, and without question, the best way to obtain your

>vitamin D is by UVB sunlight falling on unexposed skin in doses that do

>not cause sunburn.

>

>Even beyond cancer, the researchers pointed out that increasing levels of

>vitamin D3 could prevent diseases that claim nearly 1 million lives

>throughout the world each year!

>

>That is absolutely extraordinary, and NO ONE is making a penny from this

>recommendation, which is one of the primary reasons why this is not being

>more widely promoted.

and:

>To increase your vitamin D3 levels, the researchers recommended a

>combination of dietary methods, supplements and sunlight exposure of about

>10 to 15 minutes a day, with at least 40 percent of your skin exposed.

Check out that article, it refers to scientific studies that back up the

Dr's comments, and discusses Vit D supplementation and testing. And there

are thousands more articles on the web.

--

At 02:34 PM 4/10/2010, you wrote:

>Sunbathe?! Are you serious? That's horrible for your skin. At a minimum,

>it causes premature aging.

>

>I live in Florida. It's a rather backward state (at least in the non-

>metropolitan areas), and people aren't good about protecting themselves

>from the sun. It amazes me how many people I've come across who have had

>cancerous growths from sun exposure.

>

>

> >

> > > Gracia,

> > > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal support?

> Something on the cheap side.

> >

>

>

>

>

>------------------------------------

>

>All off topic posts should go to the IodineOT

>group IodineOT/

>

>

>Commonly asked questions: http://tinyurl.com/yhnds5e

Guest guest

The highest rate of malignant melonoma skin cancer is in Australia...and NOT from the folks who work outside, but interestingly enough the OFFICE workers who work under fluorescent lights have the highest rates! The sun is GOOD for us, of course its not good to burn, but the sun is healing and also preventative of many ailments. Read the book Sunlight by Zane Kime MD, it’s a real eye opener, not sure if its still in print but I would bet Amazon has some used copies for sale if its not still in prink. Kathleen

Re: Adrenal support

Sunbathe?! Are you serious? That's horrible for your skin. At a minimum, it causes premature aging. I live in Florida. It's a rather backward state (at least in the non- metropolitan areas), and people aren't good about protecting themselves from the sun. It amazes me how many people I've come across who have had cancerous growths from sun exposure.> > > Gracia,> > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal support? Something on the cheap side.>

Guest guest

That's really interesting about the fluorescent lighting and melonoma...I never

considered it, but I guess fluoride is used in the bulbs. That would explain the

relationship to skin cancer...I'll try to avoid them as well as the sun because

I don't want look older than I am.

Sherry

> >

> > > Gracia,

> > > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal support?

Something on the cheap side.

> >

>

Guest guest

Moderation in all things, LOL. I think the amount

of time recommended is twenty minutes or so. I

don't reckon that's enough to be too bad. Probably

not enough to even begin to get a tan. People in

Florida on the beaches get it reflected up from

the all that pretty sand and water too. I also

live in Florida:)

Bethann

" The greatest enemy of knowledge is not

ignorance...it is the illusion of knowledge "

~ Hawking

lookonthebriteside wrote:

>

>

> That's really interesting about the fluorescent lighting and

> melonoma...I never considered it, but I guess fluoride is used in the

> bulbs. That would explain the relationship to skin cancer...I'll try to

> avoid them as well as the sun because I don't want look older than I am.

>

> Sherry

>

>

> > >

> > > > Gracia,

> > > > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal

> support? Something on the cheap side.

> > >

> >

>

>

Guest guest

Grassrootshealth.org has teamed up with UCSD medical school to get the truth out on vitamin D

http://www.ucsd.tv/series/index.aspx?show=show & seriesnumber=520

This is the best source of the truth one can find.

Bruce

Re: Re: Adrenal support

The idea that sun exposure is bad for people has been debunked. It turns out that many more much more fatal cancers are caused by lack of sunshine. Not to mention depression and whole range of other ailments. Hiding from the sun is the cause of the epidemic of Vit D deficiency. I hid from the sun for 20 years, and finally just decided it was wrong never to have any sun-- my skin was pallid and prone to fungal infections. We evolved with the sun. We need it. But don't take my word for it. Here's Dr. Mercola's info on it, and I think most will agree that Dr Mercola, while giving a lot of good information, does not go out on radical limbs with his information:http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/24/lack-of-sunshine-causes-600-000-cancers-a-year.aspx>The dangers of sun exposure have been greatly exaggerated, and the >benefits highly underestimated. Sun exposure is not the major reason >people develop skin cancer. I know many of you might be surprised by this, >but this is simply not the truth, and buying into this lie will most >assuredly deprive you of the vital benefits the sun can provide.>>And one of the major benefits is lowering your risk of getting cancer -- >the number one cause of death. As this groundbreaking study found, 600,000 >cases of cancer could be prevented every year just by increasing your >levels of vitamin D, and without question, the best way to obtain your >vitamin D is by UVB sunlight falling on unexposed skin in doses that do >not cause sunburn.>>Even beyond cancer, the researchers pointed out that increasing levels of >vitamin D3 could prevent diseases that claim nearly 1 million lives >throughout the world each year!>>That is absolutely extraordinary, and NO ONE is making a penny from this >recommendation, which is one of the primary reasons why this is not being >more widely promoted.and:>To increase your vitamin D3 levels, the researchers recommended a >combination of dietary methods, supplements and sunlight exposure of about >10 to 15 minutes a day, with at least 40 percent of your skin exposed.Check out that article, it refers to scientific studies that back up the Dr's comments, and discusses Vit D supplementation and testing. And there are thousands more articles on the web.--At 02:34 PM 4/10/2010, you wrote:>Sunbathe?! Are you serious? That's horrible for your skin. At a minimum, >it causes premature aging.>>I live in Florida. It's a rather backward state (at least in the non- >metropolitan areas), and people aren't good about protecting themselves >from the sun. It amazes me how many people I've come across who have had >cancerous growths from sun exposure.>>> >> > > Gracia,> > > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal support? > Something on the cheap side.> >>>>>>------------------------------------>>All off topic posts should go to the IodineOT >group IodineOT/>>>Commonly asked questions: http://tinyurl.com/yhnds5e

Guest guest

Actually, the reason one gets looking like that is deficiencies, especially omega 3 among others.

Antioxidants and ratio of essential oils

Bruce

Re: Adrenal support

Even if it is true that the sun isn't as dangerous as so widely believed, and I'm really not sure I can believe that given the high rate of skin cancers I've heard about from sun seekers since living in Florida, I don't want to look like a leather bag, like so many of my neighbors in Florida. There is no way the sun doesn't cause that effect. I've seen too many real life examples. I would rather take my chances with vitamin D supplements.Sherry> > >> > > > Gracia,> > > > Could you refresh my mind on what I should take for adrenal support? > > Something on the cheap side.> > >> >> >> >> >> >------------------------------------> >> >All off topic posts should go to the IodineOT > >group IodineOT/> >> >> >Commonly asked questions: http://tinyurl.com/yhnds5e