RemedySpot.com

Question about Cortisol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We have collected urine for all the pheo stuff, NA, k, cl, but have not done urine cortisol for some reason! DanaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:12:34 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol IMHO 24 hr urinary free cortisol is best-if you can collect a good urine that is. Indeed our standard screening pacage for new HTN included this and a catecholamine test for pheo as well.So we got Na, K, aldo, cortisol, E and NE and creatinine all in one urine. Saves lots of time and money if indicated. Indication is drug resistant HTN. On Feb 18, 2010, at 8:23 AM, cowdocsbcglobal (DOT) net wrote:For my high cortisol they are going to check salivary cortisol. Since my aldosterone is low they have ruled out PA. DanaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2mac>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:15:12 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Yes I have heard of this. What you want to do is to go to pubmed and search for Cushing's and PA and see if your data suggests both.Do you look Cushingoid? Google images f!or Cushings and compare.What are the other tests you NEED?You have a normal diurnal variation of cortisol and do not likely have Cushings. NEVER use one labs normals for another labs results. NEVER!CE GrimOn Feb 17, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Stone wrote:Dr. Grim, I have not had 24 hr urinary cortisol and many other tests needed as of yet because I just recently got health insurance so now just beginning testing phase. I had the first cortisol and ACTH tests when I was feeling bad and the results were cortisol high at 26.1 and ACTH high at 49. The reference range given was 5-27 for adult. The next cortisol was when I was feeling ok at 18.25 in a.m. and 4.68 in p.m. Then I was feeling a lot of chest pressure and feeling bad so we tested again and cortisol was 18.99 and ACTH was 53. But the lab's reference range was 10-60 as normal for in a.m. so it didn't show up as high here. But on Medlineplus the range was 9-52. You say it is very rare to have both PA and Cushings. Could there be a possiblity in MEN I or II where there are multiple tumors on endocrine glands? Have you heard of this?/!font> Re: question about cortisol Rarely one can have both. I have never seen it.ACTH and cortisol have a striking day night difference and are very labile. I prefer to do 24 hr urinary free cortisol. But you have to collect all urine. Has this been done?CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Stone wrote:Do any of you also have a hig!h cortisol and ACTH level? I have had three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are independent of each other? I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I know salt has something to do with both...

We have collected urine for all the pheo stuff, NA, k, cl, but have not done urine cortisol for some reason! DanaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:12:34 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol IMHO 24 hr urinary free cortisol is best-if you can collect a good urine that is. Indeed our standard screening pacage for new HTN included this and a catecholamine test for pheo as well.So we got Na, K, aldo, cortisol, E and NE and creatinine all in one urine. Saves lots of time and money if indicated. Indication is drug resistant HTN. On Feb 18, 2010, at 8:23 AM, cowdocsbcglobal (DOT) net wrote:For my high cortisol they are going to check salivary cortisol. Since my aldosterone is low they have ruled out PA. DanaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2mac>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:15:12 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Yes I have heard of this. What you want to do is to go to pubmed and search for Cushing's and PA and see if your data suggests both.Do you look Cushingoid? Google images f!or Cushings and compare.What are the other tests you NEED?You have a normal diurnal variation of cortisol and do not likely have Cushings. NEVER use one labs normals for another labs results. NEVER!CE GrimOn Feb 17, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Stone wrote:Dr. Grim, I have not had 24 hr urinary cortisol and many other tests needed as of yet because I just recently got health insurance so now just beginning testing phase. I had the first cortisol and ACTH tests when I was feeling bad and the results were cortisol high at 26.1 and ACTH high at 49. The reference range given was 5-27 for adult. The next cortisol was when I was feeling ok at 18.25 in a.m. and 4.68 in p.m. Then I was feeling a lot of chest pressure and feeling bad so we tested again and cortisol was 18.99 and ACTH was 53. But the lab's reference range was 10-60 as normal for in a.m. so it didn't show up as high here. But on Medlineplus the range was 9-52. You say it is very rare to have both PA and Cushings. Could there be a possiblity in MEN I or II where there are multiple tumors on endocrine glands? Have you heard of this?/!font> Re: question about cortisol Rarely one can have both. I have never seen it.ACTH and cortisol have a striking day night difference and are very labile. I prefer to do 24 hr urinary free cortisol. But you have to collect all urine. Has this been done?CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Stone wrote:Do any of you also have a hig!h cortisol and ACTH level? I have had three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are independent of each other? I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I know salt has something to do with both...

Here is a link to meds that change tests.

http://f1.grp.fs.com/v1/IIB9S3djHyJO6ltihQZ0mYZXtu0F1uRF6ZZaDD1X_uV\

rtTyQIa2DONKzZHoU3SjK7z3o79re7RjPHW2Ee1qpGuH0LIAzR9rHHw/Meds%20and%20Tes\

ts%20for%20PA/Endocrine_Society_PA_Guidelines%20meds%20that%20can%20chan\

ge%20tests.pdf

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have

had

> > > >> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was

feeling

> > > >> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the

possible

> > > >> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they

are

> > > >> independent of each other?

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some

> > > >> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have

both? I

> > > >> know salt has something to do with both...

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Here is a link to meds that change tests.

http://f1.grp.fs.com/v1/IIB9S3djHyJO6ltihQZ0mYZXtu0F1uRF6ZZaDD1X_uV\

rtTyQIa2DONKzZHoU3SjK7z3o79re7RjPHW2Ee1qpGuH0LIAzR9rHHw/Meds%20and%20Tes\

ts%20for%20PA/Endocrine_Society_PA_Guidelines%20meds%20that%20can%20chan\

ge%20tests.pdf

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have

had

> > > >> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was

feeling

> > > >> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the

possible

> > > >> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they

are

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have

both? I

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Dr. Grim, I do not look Cushingoid now because I've lost 65 pounds since 2008 from the very low salt diet I have to eat and beginning thyroid meds. I do not excercise due to fatigue and other symptoms. Before I lost weight, yes I looked like I could have Cushings and even had the purple stretch marks on abdomen for awhile. I had the buffalo hump and increased fat around abdomen and evn though I lost all of that weight I still do. I have the easy bruising they describe and still do. I have the increased in body hair above lips and on back,etc. So I have had some symptoms and still have a few.

The other tests I think I need are testing for PA, cushings, and thyroid. I would also like the endo do do all of my hormone levels or anything else they think might be causing symptoms if others come back as normal. I've only done a few blood tests. Have you ever heard of cyclinical cushings where cortisol is higher at times and then normal level?

Re: question about cortisol

Rarely one can have both. I have never seen it.

ACTH and cortisol have a striking day night difference and are very labile. I prefer to do 24 hr urinary free cortisol. But you have to collect all urine.

Has this been done?

CE Grim MD

On Feb 16, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Stone wrote:

Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are independent of each other?

I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I know salt has something to do with both...

Dr. Grim, I do not look Cushingoid now because I've lost 65 pounds since 2008 from the very low salt diet I have to eat and beginning thyroid meds. I do not excercise due to fatigue and other symptoms. Before I lost weight, yes I looked like I could have Cushings and even had the purple stretch marks on abdomen for awhile. I had the buffalo hump and increased fat around abdomen and evn though I lost all of that weight I still do. I have the easy bruising they describe and still do. I have the increased in body hair above lips and on back,etc. So I have had some symptoms and still have a few.

The other tests I think I need are testing for PA, cushings, and thyroid. I would also like the endo do do all of my hormone levels or anything else they think might be causing symptoms if others come back as normal. I've only done a few blood tests. Have you ever heard of cyclinical cushings where cortisol is higher at times and then normal level?

ACTH and cortisol have a striking day night difference and are very labile. I prefer to do 24 hr urinary free cortisol. But you have to collect all urine.

Has this been done?

CE Grim MD

Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are independent of each other?

I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I know salt has something to do with both...

Yes. But if you have lost weight jYou do not have CUSHINGS KEEP up the good work Tiped sad Send form miiPhone ;-)May your pressure be low!CE Grim MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 18, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Stone <astone312@...> wrote:

Has this been done?

CE Grim MD

Yes. But if you have lost weight jYou do not have CUSHINGS KEEP up the good work Tiped sad Send form miiPhone ;-)May your pressure be low!CE Grim MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 18, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Stone <astone312@...> wrote:

Has this been done?

CE Grim MD

What about cycling cushings? That's what a consultant said to me, I have had periods where I am very angry, pigamentation above lip, peach fuzz on cheeks, very spotty, put on 10lbs,can't sleep all night, periods stop, very thin skin, easy bruising etc my allergies are also different at times, I get bad candidas more sometimes than others....the last two months been the opposite etc :) I've been trying to dash but I get very bad headaches, chest tightness, spasms worse, racing heart, very puffy after banana....I've never had the tight chest until I started messing with the salt...it makes sense why it could be pa but the dash hasn't made me feel good, I ve been much worse when starting upping potasssium....:)Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:35:48 -0600hyperaldosteronism <hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Yes. But if you have lost weight jYou do not have CUSHINGS KEEP up the good work Tiped sad Send form miiPhone ;-)May your pressure be low!CE Grim MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 18, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Stone <astone312suddenlink (DOT) net> wrote: Dr. Grim, I do not look Cushingoid now because I've lost 65 pounds since 2008 from the very low salt diet I have to eat and beginning thyroid meds. I do not excercise due to fatigue and other symptoms. Before I lost weight, yes I looked like I could have Cushings and even had the purple stretch marks on abdomen for awhile. I had the buffalo hump and increased fat around abdomen and evn though I lost all of that weight I still do. I have the easy bruising they describe and still do. I have the increased in body hair above lips and on back,etc. So I have had some symptoms and still have a few. The other tests I think I need are testing for PA, cushings, and thyroid. I would also like the endo do do all of my hormone levels or anything else they think might be causing symptoms if others come back as normal. I've only done a few blood tests. Have you ever heard of cyclinical cushings where cortisol is higher at times and then normal level? Re: question about cortisol Rarely one can have both. I have never seen it.ACTH and cortisol have a striking day night difference and are very labile. I prefer to do 24 hr urinary free cortisol. But you have to collect all urine. Has this been done?CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Stone wrote:Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are independent of each other? I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I know salt has something to do with both...

What about cycling cushings? That's what a consultant said to me, I have had periods where I am very angry, pigamentation above lip, peach fuzz on cheeks, very spotty, put on 10lbs,can't sleep all night, periods stop, very thin skin, easy bruising etc my allergies are also different at times, I get bad candidas more sometimes than others....the last two months been the opposite etc :) I've been trying to dash but I get very bad headaches, chest tightness, spasms worse, racing heart, very puffy after banana....I've never had the tight chest until I started messing with the salt...it makes sense why it could be pa but the dash hasn't made me feel good, I ve been much worse when starting upping potasssium....:)Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:35:48 -0600hyperaldosteronism <hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Yes. But if you have lost weight jYou do not have CUSHINGS KEEP up the good work Tiped sad Send form miiPhone ;-)May your pressure be low!CE Grim MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 18, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Stone <astone312suddenlink (DOT) net> wrote: Dr. Grim, I do not look Cushingoid now because I've lost 65 pounds since 2008 from the very low salt diet I have to eat and beginning thyroid meds. I do not excercise due to fatigue and other symptoms. Before I lost weight, yes I looked like I could have Cushings and even had the purple stretch marks on abdomen for awhile. I had the buffalo hump and increased fat around abdomen and evn though I lost all of that weight I still do. I have the easy bruising they describe and still do. I have the increased in body hair above lips and on back,etc. So I have had some symptoms and still have a few. The other tests I think I need are testing for PA, cushings, and thyroid. I would also like the endo do do all of my hormone levels or anything else they think might be causing symptoms if others come back as normal. I've only done a few blood tests. Have you ever heard of cyclinical cushings where cortisol is higher at times and then normal level? Re: question about cortisol Rarely one can have both. I have never seen it.ACTH and cortisol have a striking day night difference and are very labile. I prefer to do 24 hr urinary free cortisol. But you have to collect all urine. Has this been done?CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Stone wrote:Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are independent of each other? I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I know salt has something to do with both...

Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629

The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629

The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98a@...>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98a@...>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymand@... wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymand@... wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Thanks nice article. Note size of mass at first Dx 5 cm. Classic for ACC. Much too big for classic Conn's.One might wonder about the role of chemotherapy in knocking out the aldo producing cells and selecting for cortisol ones.On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:21 AM, kappi98 wrote:Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Thanks nice article. Note size of mass at first Dx 5 cm. Classic for ACC. Much too big for classic Conn's.One might wonder about the role of chemotherapy in knocking out the aldo producing cells and selecting for cortisol ones.On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:21 AM, kappi98 wrote:Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Yes, when I started adding high k foods : puffy, pale, irritable big mood change, edema, neck spasm tight could see big difference in that symptom, face wonky, my bp was low 100/64 heart rate 50....drunk black tea, urinated puffyness gone but then symptoms: irritable,very, fast heart. Rate 100 but still not high bp, skin wrinkly, tight chest...very confused....thankyou, sorry if iam being a pain.Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:20:53 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: Re: question about cortisol You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.uk wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Yes, when I started adding high k foods : puffy, pale, irritable big mood change, edema, neck spasm tight could see big difference in that symptom, face wonky, my bp was low 100/64 heart rate 50....drunk black tea, urinated puffyness gone but then symptoms: irritable,very, fast heart. Rate 100 but still not high bp, skin wrinkly, tight chest...very confused....thankyou, sorry if iam being a pain.Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:20:53 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: Re: question about cortisol You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.uk wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

My sister, who is also having problems has just got her blood results. Her creatine is deficent well under same as mine.Her tsh is also 0.68 her T4 is 13.4 but not done her T3. Also, her B12 is right at the bottom of the range.The thing that makes me think sister can't have cushings is that she can sleep....Practically the same as mine. Its definatley in my family. My neice is also having bloods as she is being very dizzy, vomiting and allergies, hair falling out,fussy about eating - always not hungry strange spots / rash like I get..She is only 8 years old...bless herSorry ill shut up now...tc mandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:20:53 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: Re: question about cortisol You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.uk wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

My sister, who is also having problems has just got her blood results. Her creatine is deficent well under same as mine.Her tsh is also 0.68 her T4 is 13.4 but not done her T3. Also, her B12 is right at the bottom of the range.The thing that makes me think sister can't have cushings is that she can sleep....Practically the same as mine. Its definatley in my family. My neice is also having bloods as she is being very dizzy, vomiting and allergies, hair falling out,fussy about eating - always not hungry strange spots / rash like I get..She is only 8 years old...bless herSorry ill shut up now...tc mandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:20:53 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: Re: question about cortisol You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.uk wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

My guess is you mean her creatinine is too high. No good reason to measure creatine.Not sure what you mean by sleep...On Feb 19, 2010, at 8:54 AM, moseleymand@... wrote:My sister, who is also having problems has just got her blood results. Her creatine is deficent well under same as mine.Her tsh is also 0.68 her T4 is 13.4 but not done her T3. Also, her B12 is right at the bottom of the range.The thing that makes me think sister can't have cushings is that she can sleep....Practically the same as mine. Its definatley in my family.My neice is also having bloods as she is being very dizzy, vomiting and allergies, hair falling out,fussy about eating - always not hungry strange spots / rash like I get..She is only 8 years old...bless herSorry ill shut up now...tc mandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2mac>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:20:53 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: Re: question about cortisol You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.uk wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

My guess is you mean her creatinine is too high. No good reason to measure creatine.Not sure what you mean by sleep...On Feb 19, 2010, at 8:54 AM, moseleymand@... wrote:My sister, who is also having problems has just got her blood results. Her creatine is deficent well under same as mine.Her tsh is also 0.68 her T4 is 13.4 but not done her T3. Also, her B12 is right at the bottom of the range.The thing that makes me think sister can't have cushings is that she can sleep....Practically the same as mine. Its definatley in my family.My neice is also having bloods as she is being very dizzy, vomiting and allergies, hair falling out,fussy about eating - always not hungry strange spots / rash like I get..She is only 8 years old...bless herSorry ill shut up now...tc mandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2mac>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:20:53 -0600<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: Re: question about cortisol You should recall that blood K is not a very good indicator of K stores as most K is inside the cells. Urine K is best way to keep track of balance if intake high and urine low then you are holding on to K Symptoms may be a better guide to K in cells that blood K. Esp as many do not follow our goallines to get an accurate K.CE Grim MDOn Feb 19, 2010, at 7:50 AM, moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.uk wrote:Okay, thanks.Sorry, if I am asking too much of this forum, I just have such different fluctuating symptoms.Its so frustrating. I won't post again until I have some recent results. Whilst I am waiting to go in barts I am going to ask my gp to test my potassium.TcMandySent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "kappi98" <kappi98amsn>Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:21:34 -0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: question about cortisol Please take alook at this case study: http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/153/5/629The 2005 study suggests that your consultant may be in the right ballpark! DASHing can be tricky. You need to know what your Na and K levels are so that you do not throw your K level off by DASHing. I do not DASH to the max because my K levels have stabilized in the normal range following my DASH-like diet. This is a support group, not a group of medical doctors! Let common sense prevail when it comes to managing YOUR health!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >> > >>> > >>> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had > >>> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling > >>> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible > >>> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are > >>> independent of each other? > >>> > >>> > >>> I have some symptoms and tests that point to Cushings and some > >>> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? > >>> I know salt has something to do with both... > >>> > >> > >> > >> > > > >>

Dr Grim Doesn't having one renin test on .15 and one a few weeks later having it

7 seen adnormal?

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >> Do any of you also have a high cortisol and ACTH level? I have had

> > > >> three cortisol tests and only one has been high when I was feeling

> > > >> really bad and before low salt diet. I'm wondering if the possible

> > > >> PA caused higher levels of cortisol and ACTH? Or possibly they are

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >> symptoms and tests that point to PA. Is it possible to have both? I

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>