RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

stress and PA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi , your situation sounds a lot like mine.

I'm 43, and have had very mild P (mostly elbows)

all my adult life. Always in pain, but never

knew why (although a dermatologist told me I had

PA when I was about 23, I for some reason never

put it together until years later). Also, most

of my problems have been fingers and wrists,

also. Anyway, absolutely the keyboarding can

kick it in! As can emotional stress, according

to a lot of the current mind/body theories.

There's a huge connection between the body and

the mind, and it goes both ways. I just started

seeing a pain psychologist, and am hoping to get

some help from him. We shall see. Meanwhile,

the best thing I ever started was the (almost)

daily gentle swim. It's cut the pain down by at

least 50%. Of course, yoga and stretching help,

too. Best of luck! -sheila

Guest guest

Quite a few of us on this site have seen a link between PA and stress. In my case I believe that I have had PA for many years, but it only kicked into super high gear after an extremely stressful period of my life involving three deaths of people very close to me and a very contentious divorce in the family. At that point I could not ignore my symptoms any longer - they were to severe. A few people here have talked about ptsd too. I think it's all related.Dianne F-69, bi-lateral adenomas, CKD, 75mg Spiro, 37.5mg Atenolol, Dashing

Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.

Guest guest

You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after

I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a

stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I

have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm

pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me.

Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense!

>

> > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My

young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying

time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low

renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the

traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post

traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting

AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts

welcome.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

But it is possible the pituitary was damaged

Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.

Guest guest

Need numbers. Do you have cortisol numbers? May want to check out NIH protocol

# 00-CH-0160 IMHO. I got down here for about $350 and in addition to the

testing they provide all accomodations including food for 10 days or 12 in my

case!

>

> Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My

young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying

time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low

renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through

the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with

post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now

awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any

thoughts welcome.

>

Guest guest

Thank you . It might be a good idea to know what your cortisol level is,

IMHO.

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

> Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young

son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have

recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and

high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic

and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic

stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and

sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.

>

Guest guest

Did u lose some weight?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Apr 6, 2012, at 20:53, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

Need numbers. Do you have cortisol numbers? May want to check out NIH protocol # 00-CH-0160 IMHO. I got down here for about $350 and in addition to the testing they provide all accomodations including food for 10 days or 12 in my case!

>

> Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.

>

Guest guest

From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!! Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PM Subject: Re: Stress and PA

You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense!

>

> > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Stress does increase salt appetite likely related to increases in ACTH and renin but not clear.In dogs one cannot cause chronic BP elevations with stress or high salt alone. But the two together increase BP. So some humans are likely like this.An old Russian saying used when hard times are coming: "Go out and get salt and matches." CE Grim MDOn Apr 11, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Natalia Kamneva wrote: From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!! Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PM Subject: Re: Stress and PA You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense! > > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome. > > > > >

Guest guest

Eating due to stress or depression or in distressed situations is due to oral fixation which means at infancy either one did not suckle mom’s milk or not enough sucking and by itself is origin of multitude psychological disorders forcing one to use his mouth and hence eating as soon as distress strikes. Max. From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!!

Guest guest

So some say. Most have abandoned these Freudian ideas as I recall. But not my area of expertise. The hunger for and seeking of salt when stressed by not getting enough salt is due to inherited survival physiological mechanisms.A great book on this is The Hunger for Salt by D. Denton.Hunger itself is also a stressor. The best review of this research is still (IMHO) Ancel Keyes two volume tome: The Physiology of Starvation. About 1/6 is devoted to the Psychology of Starvation. Again fascinating reading.CE On Apr 11, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Study Circle wrote: Eating due to stress or depression or in distressed situations is due to oral fixation which means at infancy either one did not suckle mom’s milk or not enough sucking and by itself is origin of multitude psychological disorders forcing one to use his mouth and hence eating as soon as distress strikes. Max. From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!!

Guest guest

What about plain old-fashioned gluttony . This is what I have.

Phyllis

On 4/11/2012 3:09 PM, Clarence Grim wrote:

Stress does increase salt appetite likely related to

increases in ACTH and renin but not clear.

In dogs one cannot cause chronic BP elevations with

stress or high salt alone. But the two together increase

BP.

So some humans are likely like this.

An old Russian saying used when hard times are coming:

"Go out and get salt and matches."

CE Grim MD

On Apr 11, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Natalia Kamneva

wrote:

From my experience I learn that in

stressful times the first thing that I am

doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles

or salted mushrooms.

For me, that's the reason for PA,

not a stress itself. Now I put it under

control, just not having it at home, but

while I didn't have severe symptoms and

didn't pay enough attention, that's what

happened!

It's difficult to analyze what

really happened in past. Msmith is good in

it!!!!

Natalia

msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...>

To:

hyperaldosteronism

Sent:

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PM

Subject:

Re: Stress and PA

You raise a good point - in the

past I've noted that my symptoms

showed up after I was unemployed

for pretty much the first time

ever, which I would consider a

stressful time. However - I was

also really, really broke, so the

usual care I have always put into

healthy eating probably went right

out the window, as I'm pretty sure

at the time I ate what I could

afford or what was given to me.

Hadn't thought of that before but

it makes a lot of sense!

>

> > Is it possible that a

traumatic and stressful period

could cause PA ? My young son had

a serious head injury 2 years ago

and it was a very worrying time.I

have recently been diagnosed with

left adrenal adenoma,low

potassium, low renin and high

aldersterone levels. My BP has

been high since coming through the

traumatic and stressful period 2

years ago and I have been

diagnosed with post traumatic

stress disorder. Prior to this

accident my BP was normal. Now

awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I

am puzzled as to why I have

developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

It is due to a feed-back problem of some chemical system in your body that controls weight and appetite. Otherwise you would stop eating when full earlier and/or eat less when weight went up.Something ain't working right. If I know what was not working right and could fix it I could retire.But the basic formula still appliesWeight = (calories in) - (calories burned)Very easy in concept, difficult in execution. CE Grim MDOn Apr 11, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Phyllis wrote: What about plain old-fashioned gluttony . This is what I have. Phyllis On 4/11/2012 3:09 PM, Clarence Grim wrote: Stress does increase salt appetite likely related to increases in ACTH and renin but not clear. In dogs one cannot cause chronic BP elevations with stress or high salt alone. But the two together increase BP. So some humans are likely like this. An old Russian saying used when hard times are coming: "Go out and get salt and matches." CE Grim MD On Apr 11, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Natalia Kamneva wrote: From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!! Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PM Subject: Re: Stress and PA You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense! > > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome. > > > > >

Guest guest

Sorry, no such Russian saying :-) It's just was a practical thing to do in hard times to have salt and matches at home. And it was affordable for most people in Russia, other things were not. Natalia From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> hyperaldosteronism Cc: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:09 PM Subject: Re: Re: Stress and PA

Stress does increase salt appetite likely related to increases in ACTH and renin but not clear.In dogs one cannot cause chronic BP elevations with stress or high salt alone. But the two together increase BP. So some humans are likely like this.An old Russian saying used when hard times are coming: "Go out and get salt and matches." CE Grim MDOn Apr 11, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Natalia Kamneva wrote: From my experience I learn that in

stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!! Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PM Subject: Re: Stress and PA You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what

I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense! > > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very

worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome. > > > > >

Guest guest

And stress is the "catch-all" that causes everything to some docs and many of us found themselves on, or being offered, the prozacs of the world before their provider ever considered PA even when they were on multiple BP meds and hypertensive (AND sadly low K most of the time too!).

But not to get far off topic we have so taken personality out of anything in this life (when "shyness" is now a mental health diagnosis we are in serious trouble) and what some people consider "stress" is actually where their personality functions well. I am not stressed when I am super busy, and working hard, and am going 100 miles per hour. I am stressed when I have nothing to do, or things are too slow. But it is natural for us, or everyone else looking in to assume that when I am busy and frantic and running around that I, or we, should be stressed out, but I am not. I fell into being a paramedic kind of by accident (some would say are there really accidents in destiny?) but it was really a perfect fit for my personality, especially at 18 years old.

In terms of life going on around us, I honestly feel our brains - and instincts I think - have to KNOW that we lose some people in our lives as we grow older, that everything doesn't stay perfect, that relationships can wax and wane, that accidents happen. Yes, they happen as surprises many times, and initially can shock us, but whether one believes in a God above or evolution (or both....), millions of years on we humans HAVE TO BE instinctively made to expect, consciously or not, that things happen.

My point I am trying to say, and I am very passionate about the stress issue, only adding to, but not CAUSING most of what we go through (and it's personal to me because they said it was for many many years about my own HTN issues and it wasn't). It's such a catch-all and even we patients buy into it. BTW we ALL have stress in our lives, no one is without it so why would it effect some so severely and not others?

From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms.

For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened!

It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!!

Natalia

From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...>hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PMSubject: Re: Stress and PA

You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense!> > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post

traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.> > > >>

Guest guest

I'd never heard of that or Keys, but I looked it up and it looks pretty fascinating. I am going to get the whole tome and read it. I guess it was known as the "Minnesota Starvation Exoeriment." I read a little bit where it said the participants complained of what it seems we all talk about as a "brain fog" and yet the research cognitive tests did not back up the subjects perception of their own cognitive shortcomings under starvation.

Eating due to stress or depression or in distressed situations is due to oral fixation which means at infancy either one did not suckle mom’s milk or not enough sucking and by itself is origin of multitude psychological disorders forcing one to use his mouth and hence eating as soon as distress strikes.

Max.

From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms.

For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened!

It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!!

Guest guest

In summary life is a stress. CE Grim MDOn Apr 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Bingham wrote: And stress is the "catch-all" that causes everything to some docs and many of us found themselves on, or being offered, the prozacs of the world before their provider ever considered PA even when they were on multiple BP meds and hypertensive (AND sadly low K most of the time too!). But not to get far off topic we have so taken personality out of anything in this life (when "shyness" is now a mental health diagnosis we are in serious trouble) and what some people consider "stress" is actually where their personality functions well. I am not stressed when I am super busy, and working hard, and am going 100 miles per hour. I am stressed when I have nothing to do, or things are too slow. But it is natural for us, or everyone else looking in to assume that when I am busy and frantic and running around that I, or we, should be stressed out, but I am not. I fell into being a paramedic kind of by accident (some would say are there really accidents in destiny?) but it was really a perfect fit for my personality, especially at 18 years old. In terms of life going on around us, I honestly feel our brains - and instincts I think - have to KNOW that we lose some people in our lives as we grow older, that everything doesn't stay perfect, that relationships can wax and wane, that accidents happen. Yes, they happen as surprises many times, and initially can shock us, but whether one believes in a God above or evolution (or both....), millions of years on we humans HAVE TO BE instinctively made to expect, consciously or not, that things happen. My point I am trying to say, and I am very passionate about the stress issue, only adding to, but not CAUSING most of what we go through (and it's personal to me because they said it was for many many years about my own HTN issues and it wasn't). It's such a catch-all and even we patients buy into it. BTW we ALL have stress in our lives, no one is without it so why would it effect some so severely and not others? From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!! Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...>hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PMSubject: Re: Stress and PA You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense!> > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.> > > >>

Guest guest

You said it well.

Natalia

From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...>hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PMSubject: Re: Stress and PA

You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense!> > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled

as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.> > > >>

Yo

Guest guest

Yeah a cocaine addiction could certainly make one think that way. Freud has been quite descredited in this day and age, kind of sad, because most know the name, and he put psychology on the map in some ways, but he sure comes across as the perverted and sick old man today. His relationship with his daughter was a little creepy.

Many people actually lose their appetites when stress hits. I am one of those. My belly is in knots when I am really stressed and eating is the last thing I want to do. And I wasn't breastfed either . I see alot of people who lose weight when stressed (that could be from the type of diet too I guess - high sugars, sodas, etc)

From: Study Circle <studycircle@...>Subject: RE: Re: Stress and PAhyperaldosteronism Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 2:11 PM

Eating due to stress or depression or in distressed situations is due to oral fixation which means at infancy either one did not suckle mom’s milk or not enough sucking and by itself is origin of multitude psychological disorders forcing one to use his mouth and hence eating as soon as distress strikes.

Max.

Guest guest

Yes it was the starvation experiment conducted during WW II to see what would be the best way to refeed starving populations around the world when WWII ended. The starved a group of conceintious (sp) objectors (all men) and then re-fed them different diets. Turns out the answer was just feed something.But still makes great reading including the sections on the history of famines and the psychology of starvation. And the gluttony on being granted free access to food was so great one young man developed congestive heart failure from the amount of food (and likely salt) he ingested the first few days.Use this in my talks on salt and slavery and starvation. CE Grim MDOn Apr 11, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Bingham wrote: I'd never heard of that or Keys, but I looked it up and it looks pretty fascinating. I am going to get the whole tome and read it. I guess it was known as the "Minnesota Starvation Exoeriment." I read a little bit where it said the participants complained of what it seems we all talk about as a "brain fog" and yet the research cognitive tests did not back up the subjects perception of their own cognitive shortcomings under starvation. Eating due to stress or depression or in distressed situations is due to oral fixation which means at infancy either one did not suckle mom’s milk or not enough sucking and by itself is origin of multitude psychological disorders forcing one to use his mouth and hence eating as soon as distress strikes. Max. From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!!

Guest guest

And different "stokes" for different folks. On Apr 11, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Bingham wrote: You said it well. From my experience I learn that in stressful times the first thing that I am doing - eating a jar of kimchi or pickles or salted mushrooms. For me, that's the reason for PA, not a stress itself. Now I put it under control, just not having it at home, but while I didn't have severe symptoms and didn't pay enough attention, that's what happened! It's difficult to analyze what really happened in past. Msmith is good in it!!!! Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...>hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:59 PMSubject: Re: Stress and PA You raise a good point - in the past I've noted that my symptoms showed up after I was unemployed for pretty much the first time ever, which I would consider a stressful time. However - I was also really, really broke, so the usual care I have always put into healthy eating probably went right out the window, as I'm pretty sure at the time I ate what I could afford or what was given to me. Hadn't thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense!> > > Is it possible that a traumatic and stressful period could cause PA ? My young son had a serious head injury 2 years ago and it was a very worrying time.I have recently been diagnosed with left adrenal adenoma,low potassium, low renin and high aldersterone levels. My BP has been high since coming through the traumatic and stressful period 2 years ago and I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Prior to this accident my BP was normal. Now awaiting AVS and sodium testing. I am puzzled as to why I have developed PA.Any thoughts welcome.> > > >> Yo