RemedySpot.com

Hashimoto's

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Patty--

You have to have this pretty bad to get lizard skin and Brillo hair--I got

sort-of lizard skin but I have no gland and the hormone I was on was

not working well. People who don't know they have this are usually

the ones that get the physical signs--they aren't replacing their hormone and you are.

I think I mentioned it some time ago, but MSM helps thyroid hormones

considerably, as it is essentially biological sulfur--it's how they

synthesize or whatever they do. Selenium must be

adequate for thyroid hormones to work so you might consider taking

some just to make sure your levels are adequate.

Bonnie

Actually patty, I had thyroid antibodies (thyroidglobulin ) at over 12,000 and Perxidase at 1300! They are sopossed to be at or under 100! I was diagnosed with it about a year ago. That's when I got pissed off about the implants!!! They call it the "pain in the neck" disease, as your immune system takes an attack against the thyroid.Causing inflammation, sometimes nodules, and possibly a goiter. But, the good thing is, most of those symptoms and outcomes occur when the attack is at it's peak esp. that is usually while hypo (under) or Hyper(over ) once you are leveled out, on meds for a while, the attack somewhat settles down, goiters go away, and most nodules go away, or always stay the same size. Most people will have to be on meds for the rest of your life, as the attack in the distant future eventually destroys the thyroid to function. But, Dr. Mercola (www.mercola.com) has seen and treated many patients with hashimoto's and has witnessed and believes that you can heal the thyroid with proper diet, and stress reduction. I try to think positive on this one thought: There's a difference with regular hypothyroidism, as that means that your thyroid is just not functioning for some reason. With Hashimoto's, it's not that your thyroid cannot function, it's that the "attack" is supressing it. If you can get to the root or the cause of the attack(get breast implants removed, change to a grain/sugar free diet, so on) you have a good chance then at allowing your thyroid to function on it's own again. So, think stay positive. Check his site out on how to reverse Hashimoto's .Also, just ordered a book called just that, on how a doctor healed himself with diet and other means, will let you know on that. With the nodules, I have been unfortunate enough to have to have three fine needle aspirations on one nodule to find it is so far beneign.(I know why they call it a pain in the neck! ouch) Now that I am leveled out , the hair loss has stopped, I have lost 6 pounds, I am feeling much better. It realy isn't hashimto's the makes people get the side effects, it's when your thyroid is out of whack and you need to be leveled out. I would advise you to read "Thyroid for Dummies" it helped a great deal, and also "the Thyroid Sourcebook" by M. Sara Rosenthal. If you ever have any questions re thyroid, I am always here for you. I have been in and out, and rolling in Thyroid info, doctors, tratments, and so on!

I guess this autoimmune condition I have is Hashimoto's. Who else on this group has Hashimoto's? What have you been doing for it, what have been your worst symptoms, and how have you improved?

I am worried most about lizard skin and Brillo hair! (not to mention less of it!)

Patty

Patty--Where? I'm orginally from a suburb west of Chicago also!

A book found on Shoman's site that was the most

helpful to me was Grave's Disease, by Elaine . While

it seems to be about "hyper" throidism, it explains all about

the thyroid, how it works, antibodies, testing, Hoshimotos, etc.

She is a nurse or lab tech--can't remember. Her info, compared

to all I've read over the years, is the most concise and complete.

Another book, written by a conventional (mostly) endo from

Baylor, Rhida Arem, is called The Thyroid Solution and was

recommended by my family doc a few years ago; it has some

good info. he gets into the use of Cytomel.

I think now there is a book by the Shames (husband and wife)

that sounds as if it is good.

There are quite a few theories on thyroid problems--there is a

lot of controversey and confusion in this field now.

I really, really like Mercola--haven't seen his views on thyroid and need to. . .

Bonnie

Thanks ! I appreciate all the info--you and I will become good friends through this!

I heard about a book called Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Shomon. I've heard it is a really good book. Have you heard about this one?

You've made me feel much better about this already, knowing I can perhaps keep the symptoms at bay. Of course, I have done alot of things to improve my health already, so maybe I have been keeping it at bay for quite some time now. My Anti-TPO antibody was at 8.2 on a normal scale of 0.0 to 2.0. I'll be sure to check out Dr. Mercola's info on this. I do think he is a great doctor. I'm originally from Illinois, just west of Chicago, so maybe someday when I get back there I can actually go see him!

Those needle aspirations in your nodules didn't sound fun at all, though. Yikes! One thing that was said to me that I found curious, (the first doctor told me this--not the endocrinologist) was that my thyroid was pretty small. Hmmmm. I would have thought with inflammation it would have felt larger. Oh well, I'll have to ask more questions next time I see him. For now I need to cut back on my Cytomel. I hope I don't start gaining weight again! I just lost 13 lbs, and have been very happy about that.

Thanks again !

Hugs,

Patty

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 9:24 PM

Subject: Re: Hashimoto's

Actually patty, I had thyroid antibodies (thyroidglobulin ) at over 12,000 and Perxidase at 1300! They are sopossed to be at or under 100! I was diagnosed with it about a year ago. That's when I got pissed off about the implants!!! They call it the "pain in the neck" disease, as your immune system takes an attack against the thyroid.Causing inflammation, sometimes nodules, and possibly a goiter. But, the good thing is, most of those symptoms and outcomes occur when the attack is at it's peak esp. that is usually while hypo (under) or Hyper(over ) once you are leveled out, on meds for a while, the attack somewhat settles down, goiters go away, and most nodules go away, or always stay the same size. Most people will have to be on meds for the rest of your life, as the attack in the distant future eventually destroys the thyroid to function. But, Dr. Mercola (www.mercola.com) has seen and treated many patients with hashimoto's and has wit nessed and believes that you can heal the thyroid with proper diet, and stress reduction. I try to think positive on this one thought: There's a difference with regular hypothyroidism, as that means that your thyroid is just not functioning for some reason. With Hashimoto's, it's not that your thyroid cannot function, it's that the "attack" is supressing it. If you can get to the root or the cause of the attack(get breast implants removed, change to a grain/sugar free diet, so on) you have a good chance then at allowing your thyroid to function on it's own again. So, think stay positive. Check his site out on how to reverse Hashimoto's .Also, just ordered a book called just that, on how a doctor healed himself with diet and other means, will let you know on that. With the nodules, I have been unfortunate enough to have to have three fine needle aspirations on one nodule to find it is so far beneign.(I know why they call it a pain in the neck! ouch) Now that I am leveled out , the hair loss has stopped, I have lost 6 pounds, I am feeling much better. It realy isn't hashimto's the makes people get the side effects, it's when your thyroid is out of whack and you need to be leveled out. I would advise you to read "Thyroid for Dummies" it helped a great deal, and also "the Thyroid Sourcebook" by M. Sara Rosenthal. If you ever have any questions re thyroid, I am always here for you. I have been in and out, and rolling in Thyroid info, doctors, tratments, and so on!

Leanda--

Most BI women have a thyroid problem of some kind--usually

Hoshimoto's--it's an organ-specific autoimmune hypothyroidism;

when the immune system is dysregulated/screwed up it chooses to

produce antibodies often against the thyroid or the pituitary

hormone that makes the thyroid work. It would be good for

you to have your thyroid checked by an endocrinologist. And,

as you have seen on this newsgroup--do not believe that it

will be for the rest of your life--undoubtedly, that's what you

will be told because to date, that's what most conventional

doctors think.

Hypothyroidism can make your hair coarse--but more curly?

Naturally curly hair itself is more coarse and dry. . .dryness

plays a part in silicone disorders also. I lost a lot of natural curl

for years until I started taking MSM for the joint stiffness.

MSM is essentially biological sulfur--not only does

it make thyroid hormones work better (they work through sulfation) but

it makes hair curlier, as the curl is due to sulfide-to-sulfide bonding. Are you

taking MSM? If so, keep taking it. If not, might be a good idea. In

any event, if you are taking it when you have thyroid tests and then

you quit, it would be good to have thyroid tests again a few weeks

later.

Bonnie

Do you get Brillo hair when you have Hashimoto? I've been wondering what has happened to my hair. It has become extremely curly/brillo. I don't know what to do about it. Maybe I have that too. Please share...

Leanda

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 5:54 PM

Subject: Hashimoto's

I guess this autoimmune condition I have is Hashimoto's. Who else on this group has Hashimoto's? What have you been doing for it, what have been your worst symptoms, and how have you improved?

I am worried most about lizard skin and Brillo hair! (not to mention less of it!)

Patty

Leanda,

You should probably get all your thyroid levels checked out. Coarse hair is one of the signs of thyroid disease, but thankfully, this is one that can be taken care of with some natural thyroid hormone therapy.

Let us know what happens.

Patty

Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 6:11 AM

Do you get Brillo hair when you have Hashimoto? I've been wondering what has happened to my hair. It has become extremely curly/brillo. I don't know what to do about it. Maybe I have that too. Please share...

Leanda

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 5:54 PM

Subject: Hashimoto's

Patty

Levoxyl was better for me than Synthroid--but the

formula is the same--I believe it was due to the

inactive ingredients; however, Levoxyl has been

pulled off the market a couple of times. Yes, it

is essentially T4, with the supposition that it will

convert to T3 as needed.

I needed more T3 when on both Synthroid and Levoxyl

and Cytomel (T3) made me very hyper; I am now on

an Armour generic and it works just fine for me.

Leanda--

On the one hand, if your thyroid hormone levels are in the

"norm" you are PROBABLY ok. I eventually had a go 'round

with my endo re "norm" . I asked how he knew that the

"norm" that he was reading was MY "norm" He didn't. So

how you feel has a lot to do with "norm", which simply means

a range in which most people fall. After years, it was found

that my T3 range, although in the "norm" wasn't normal for me--

something I had been trying to tell him.

On the other hand, if the doc hasn't done thyroid antibody tests, there's no way he could know whether your hypothyroidism is due to

Hoshimoto's or is simply hypothyroidism. My endo says everyone

doesn't have the antibodies. . .I say, then how do you know? I believe that statement covers them if they are wrong. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune

hyperthyroidism without any antibody testing--it was found many years

later that the dx was wrong--in fact, didn't have anything wrong with the

thyroid but treatment for "nothing" wound up creating cancer,

costing me the gland, and dx of a thyroid eye disease which required

7 surgeries and was wrong--eyes are completely screwed up now--my

eye and lid problems were in part due to treatment for a thyroid disease I didn't

have and in part due neurological problems and inflammation. Have you

noticed how once a doc makes a dx--future docs go along with the same

dx? If the original one was in error--the whole situation just mushrooms

and eventually you are stuck in the medical circle.

Thyroid is nothing to take lightly--even my attorney told me this after

a conversation with my endo--he admitted he thought thyroid was simple

until that conversation. The question is--do you feel that you are

up to speed? In a way, I'm fortunate that my whole gland is out, in that

I can tell nuances with the thryoid hormone; when one still has his own

gland, it can produce more or less hormone in addition to that being given

by the doc. It has to be more difficult to regulate. It seems that

getting close to "normal" with replacement is the best one can expect

in this case; eventually, it is possible for some to get "normal" without

hormone replacement from the doctor.

I'd bet that taking that MSM is the answer to your curl--but I'd keep taking

it. . .not only does it relieve joint pain, but it's an antioxidant and it also

make the thyroid hormone work better. Next time you buy, there is

a combination of MSM,. glucosamine AND chondroitin. It is my opinion,

that all are necessary for rebuilding--MSM alone, as I said, will not

rebuild.

Re the curl--if you aren't used to curl--it's easy to manage in drier climates,

and I have found that a large curling iron (1-1/2 to 2" around) is invaluable

for straightening it out some. Then you can always get a perm and instead

of putting in curlers--comb it out straight. This doesn't alleviate the

"frizz" in humidity though. I don't mind the curl--it's the "frizz" that frustrates

me.

Bonnie

Dear Bonnie,

Thanks again for the medical scoop on thyroid. I have had low thyroid for many years and have been taking synthroid. They never told me it might be Hashimoto's and I didn't ask. I have also been taking MSM due to lots of pain in my ankles. I can hardly walk without it and have seen a big difference. I take glucosamine as well.

As far as curls, I can do without half of them. My hair has gotten even curlier but I have 3 head/brain surgeries so far and this last surgery changed my hair completely. Oh well...

Thanks again Bonnie. You are our medical EXPERT!!

Leanda

Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 7:14 AM

Leanda-- Most BI women have a thyroid problem of some kind--usually Hoshimoto's--it's an organ-specific autoimmune hypothyroidism; when the immune system is dysregulated/screwed up it chooses to produce antibodies often against the thyroid or the pituitary hormone that makes the thyroid work. It would be good for you to have your thyroid checked by an endocrinologist. And, as you have seen on this newsgroup--do not believe that it will be for the rest of your life--undoubtedly, that's what you will be told because to date, that's what most conventional doctors think. Hypothyroidism can make your hair coarse--but more curly? Naturally curly hair itself is more coarse and dry. . .dryness plays a part in silicone disorders also. I lost a lot of natural curl for years until I started taking MSM for the joint stiffness. MSM is essentially biological sulfur--not only does it make thyroid hormones work better (they work through sulfation) but it makes hair curlier, as the curl is due to sulfide-to-sulfide bonding. Are you taking MSM? If so, keep taking it. If not, might be a good idea. In any event, if you are taking it when you have thyroid tests and then you quit, it would be good to have thyroid tests again a few weeks later. Bonnie

e--have lived in this town of about 120,000 people for three

years and have already met two nurses (one retired and one about

ready to) who told me they don't go to doctors anymore. One said that for the second time, a doc stuck his head in the nurses lounge

and rattled off symptoms of one of his patients and asked what

they thought she had. . .that's when she decided.

My first incident with a referral from the family doc was to a plastic

surgeon for what he thought was diffuse "fibrocystic disease"

( I now know it's not really a disease) and of course, the ps agreed

and pushed like crazy to remove the breasts and use implants. Much later, I was to find the mammogram I had done shortly thereafter which said

there was a "hint" of fibrocysts. Did you know that in the early package

inserts a contraindication to breast implants was fibrocystic disease?

Sixty percent of women are estimated to have this at some point in

their lives--usually younger. No problem, just whip those breasts off

so one can put in implants! I don't know where this contraindication

went. . .but it wasn't in the later package inserts and we don't hear

about it now. There is no telling what conditions exist in fibrocystic

changes. . .but it doesn't seem to matter to the p s.

The only time my insurance company actually insisted on a second

opinion was for sinus surgery, even though I sent them a picture telling

them I'd already had a nose job. Went to this doc and exactly as you

said, he asked who was doing the surgery. . .he knew him well. . .I was

never examined. . .it took all of five minutes and he made $125.

I spoke of the thyroid and eye problem; I am now seeing one of the

eye surgeons (not the main one but older, and in my opinion more knowlegable)

and told him what I have been found to have--he could see the changes

in my eyes just from a few months ago (after 12 years) He admitted then

that he was suspicious of what I had 12 years ago. . .I thought he was then,

but couldn't prove it. He went through all manner of machinations when he

could have been sued, but not now. Although more knowledgable he went

along with the dx then--but bet he hasn't since. And guess what! In order

to try to fix the damage, a silicone implant is needed LOL He really got

flustered telling me that. . . you may be wondering why I chose to return to

him? He is considered "the best" and people come from other states to

see him--he is mainly a pediatric strabismus surgeon.

Have had experience with our state's manadatory medical review board, also.

An adverse outcome does not mean one can't pursue a case, but if three

docs are united. . .good luck in court.

You seem very good at nursing though, e. Do you think you will stay in

it? As young as you are, and with the realizations you have already made, I'd

say not. In fact, the stress of knowing is probably prohibitive to healing. Think

about it. . . .it's such a broad stress we tend to discount it, but it's the very thing

that can keep the brakes on one's full potential--physically, mentally and emotionally.

You might consider looking into medical writing when you move, get settled, etc.

There is a website for medical writers. . .they may have some info if that appeals

to you.

Public Citizen now has state lists of doc who have had complaints registered

against them. . .it doesn't give details, but it's a start.

Bonnie

Leanda I am so curious what kind of surgeries have you had?

Wow that is allot to go through. Refresh my memory, are you still implanted or have you been explanted? Are you suffering from pain in your heels, feet or achilles tendon or is it just in your ankles?

Seems to be a common issue for us. I know my feet are a mess. Can't decide if it is from running, high heels or just the implant illness that I have been aflicted with.

hugs

Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 7:15 AM

Dear Bonnie,

Thanks again for the medical scoop on thyroid. I have had low thyroid for many years and have been taking synthroid. They never told me it might be Hashimoto's and I didn't ask. I have also been taking MSM due to lots of pain in my ankles. I can hardly walk without it and have seen a big difference. I take glucosamine as well.

As far as curls, I can do without half of them. My hair has gotten even curlier but I have 3 head/brain surgeries so far and this last surgery changed my hair completely. Oh well...

Leanda

Leanda-- Most BI women have a thyroid problem of some kind--usually Hoshimoto's--it's an organ-specific autoimmune hypothyroidism; when the immune system is dysregulated/screwed up it chooses to produce antibodies often against the thyroid or the pituitary hormone that makes the thyroid work. It would be good for you to have your thyroid checked by an endocrinologist. And, as you have seen on this newsgroup--do not believe that it will be for the rest of your life--undoubtedly, that's what you will be told because to date, that's what most conventional doctors think. Hypothyroidism can make your hair coarse--but more curly? Naturally curly hair itself is more coarse and dry. . .dryness plays a part in silicone disorders also. I lost a lot of natural curl for years until I started taking MSM for the joint stiffness. MSM is essentially biological sulfur--not only does it make thyroid hormones work better (they work through sulfation) but it makes hair curlier, as the curl is due to sulfide-to-sulfide bonding. Are you taking MSM? If so, keep taking it. If not, might be a good idea. In any event, if you are taking it when you have thyroid tests and then you quit, it would be good to have thyroid tests again a few weeks later. Bonnie

Bonnie, Your comment about doctors and how when one makes a dx, they all agree couldn't be more true. Doctors have their own brotherhood. Not one wants to go against what a "fellow" doc says is happening for fear of reprisal/backlash/gossip, etc. So, like little puppies and kittens, they follow the "leader" because they can't think for themselves. How many times has someone gotten a second opinion, and been told that surgery is NOT what they would recommend? I'd venture to guess very rarely. Everytime I've gotten a second opinion, the first thing the doc asks is who I saw and what did he say? For my most recent neck surgery in Feb, I did get a second opinion, but I did not tell them when I made the appt it was a second opinion, nor did I tell the doc when I saw him. I let him draw his own conclusions, and told him I had not seen my neurosurgeon yet. This is also a reason why doctors are often not disciplined more than getting a slap on the hand. Because the Board of Medical Examiners is composed of doctors in the community, they are reluctant to impose strict disciplinary standards on their peers. Most boards do have nurses and other members sitting on the boards, but the majority of the members are MD's, and what they say goes. It's a disgusting fraternity of men and women trying to protect themselves and each other, and not the community!!! You would be amazed at how many doctors are out there practicing medicine under the influence of drugs or alcohol----many of them anesthesiologists----the docs you entrust your life to when you are paralyzed and unconscious!!! But again, most complaints are ignored, or the docs get a slap on the hand and instructions that they can return to work. It all makes me want to puke!!!!! e ----- Original Message ----- From: Bos@... Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 7:55 AM Subject: Re: Hashimoto's Leanda-- On the one hand, if your thyroid hormone levels are in the "norm" you are PROBABLY ok. I eventually had a go 'round with my endo re "norm" . I asked how he knew that the "norm" that he was reading was MY "norm" He didn't. So how you feel has a lot to do with "norm", which simply means a range in which most people fall. After years, it was found that my T3 range, although in the "norm" wasn't normal for me-- something I had been trying to tell him. On the other hand, if the doc hasn't done thyroid antibody tests, there's no way he could know whether your hypothyroidism is due to Hoshimoto's or is simply hypothyroidism. My endo says everyone doesn't have the antibodies. . .I say, then how do you know? I believe that statement covers them if they are wrong. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune hyperthyroidism without any antibody testing--it was found many years later that the dx was wrong--in fact, didn't have anything wrong with the thyroid but treatment for "nothing" wound up creating cancer, costing me the gland, and dx of a thyroid eye disease which required 7 surgeries and was wrong--eyes are completely screwed up now--my eye and lid problems were in part due to treatment for a thyroid disease I didn't have and in part due neurological problems and inflammation. Have you noticed how once a doc makes a dx--future docs go along with the same dx? If the original one was in error--the whole situation just mushrooms and eventually you are stuck in the medical circle. Thyroid is nothing to take lightly--even my attorney told me this after a conversation with my endo--he admitted he thought thyroid was simple until that conversation. The question is--do you feel that you are up to speed? In a way, I'm fortunate that my whole gland is out, in that I can tell nuances with the thryoid hormone; when one still has his own gland, it can produce more or less hormone in addition to that being given by the doc. It has to be more difficult to regulate. It seems that getting close to "normal" with replacement is the best one can expect in this case; eventually, it is possible for some to get "normal" without hormone replacement from the doctor. I'd bet that taking that MSM is the answer to your curl--but I'd keep taking it. . .not only does it relieve joint pain, but it's an antioxidant and it also make the thyroid hormone work better. Next time you buy, there is a combination of MSM,. glucosamine AND chondroitin. It is my opinion, that all are necessary for rebuilding--MSM alone, as I said, will not rebuild. Re the curl--if you aren't used to curl--it's easy to manage in drier climates, and I have found that a large curling iron (1-1/2 to 2" around) is invaluable for straightening it out some. Then you can always get a perm and instead of putting in curlers--comb it out straight. This doesn't alleviate the "frizz" in humidity though. I don't mind the curl--it's the "frizz" that frustrates me. Bonnie

the site for the American Medical Writers Association is (of course0

www.amwa.org. Explore it.

A lot of nurses go into the sales and marekting of pharmaceuticals. . .

not much different, really LOL

It will probably take you at least that 18 months to decide what to do--or

get ready for something different--if you like both writing and medicine, it

seems that a good direction to check out. This is the information age--

bet there are many opportunities along this line. Meanwhile you can be a lot

of help to the patients--it's a matter of focus. . .of of the docs and on to

the patients.

Hospitals have been having problems with bacteria for at least 15 years that I

know of--a sweet little old doc, whose specialty was infections, became infected

when in the hospital for prostate cancer; when he asked the doc who came to see him if he was going to report it to the Infection Committee--he got no answer at all. Because I lost my job and COBRA was about to expire, a plastic surgeon

told me she could do my reconstruction at such-and-such a hospital, on Medicaid--

I told her I had a friend (nurse-practitioner) who said the infection rate at that hospital

was very high; the p s responded with "There is a special closed floor where it isn't."

Some time ago I had problems with the insurance company who denied payment and

took it to the Department of Insurance. Threaten publicity for the company--the

word gets to them.

I'm just remembering that I thought an anesthesiologist I had was coked up--either

that or he was extraordinarily hyper and happy. Saw he became the anesthesiologist for a "society" plastic surgeon who got in a lot of trouble. . .

I thought that Questionable Doctors did publicly record complaints--in fact, that is all I thought they did. . .maybe I have their site confused with the med mal site--come to think of it, I do. The med mal site has a list of all the Indiana docs with complaints

(it hasn't been updated in some time) and I knew a lot of them. Only went to

one though--my plastic surgeon.

Got to go eat. . .later

Bonnie

Bonnie, I would love to get out of nursing for good. I can barely look at doctors without wanting to slap them. It drives me insane to think of all the lies they tell the unsuspecting public and what they get away with. I would love to do medical writing, as I love to write, and I do love medicine. But this job I have in Denver involves a committment of 18 months. But perhaps after that...... Medical review boards are horrendous. After my open heart surgery and I became septic, I filed a complaint against my surgeon. He basically ignored me and told me that I was "having an anxiety attack and to take some ativan." It wasn't until 2 days later when the infection had overwhelmed my body and I ended up in the ER, then in ICU fighting for my life, that he took notice. But by the time I felt better, I didn't want him touching me. As soon as I could, I filed that complaint, basically complaining of negligence and substandard care. The Board felt it was a significant enough complaint, and opened an investigation which lasted 7 months. At some point, it was turned over to the Board for review (the CO Board contains all MD's and 2-3 DO's), and almost immediately, they decided that there was not enough evidence to administer a reprimand. I was livid. This man clearly ignored me and my complaints, and wrote it off to anxiety. Yet 2 days later, I ended up in the ICU with sepsis, getting a PICC line placed, and having long term IV antibiotics administered, a hole in my chest (the first of many), and having to pack the wound 2x/day. I was fired from my job, had to get unemployment (which my employer fought me on), sold furniture to get money to make ends meet, and lost my best friend (she decided she didn't want to be involved in my life). When I finally did go back to work, I was working in the CICU (open heart ICU) and my surgeon harassed me to no end, as did his partners. There is just no justice when it comes to doctors. I dated an anesthesiologist who was doing coke all the time, was high when he worked, and then informed me of all the other anesthesiologists that were mutual friends who were addicted to something. Of 7 that I found out were abusing substances, 1 of them was disciplined, but he is still able to practice, he just has his practice monitored. And, get this. He was addicted to coke, and would be assigned cases where he would nasally intubate, and he would use medicinal grade cocaine in order to numb the nasal tissue. Now, something is wrong with that picture----a doc who's addicted to coke and is allowed to use cocaine in order to intubate someone. Like I said, doctors have their own brotherhood, and god help anyone who tries to ruin or disrupt that brotherhood! I do get the Public Citizen book "Questionable Doctors." And I log onto the CO Board of Medical Examiners at least monthly to see what docs have been disciplined. Believe me, I stay on top of questionable docs. You can file a complaint for a doctor that failed to listen to you, who provided substandard care, who was inappropriate, etc. Just because there wasn't an adverse outcome doesn't mean you can't file a complaint. It's just that more than likely, your complaint will get absolutely nowhere. But, you never know who else has filed a complaint, and if enough people file complaints, the Board is obligated to investigate. I encourage anyone who feels they have received substandard care or their doc is guilty of negligence, to file a formal complaint with your state board. Even though nothing may come of that complaint, the complaint does stay in that docs file for up to 5 yrs. The public does not have access to it, but any other licensing board does. My complaint is on that docs record for 5 yrs, but the public will never know it's there. But there was at least some gratification that something negative would follow him for 5 yrs. Do you have the website for the medical writing? I'd like to check it out. I would love to either go to law school and sue doctors :) or else do something like medical writing. Or I may just go to school for sales and marketing. But I will not be a nurse until I retire----no way. Not unless docs attitudes change and they realize that they are NOT god and people like me see right through them and will not tolerate their crap! Whew!! I had to get that off my chest. Every once in a while, I just get all riled up. I'm riled up now because I'm trying to deal with my insurance company and this lawsuit I've filed. I have followed their own appeals process and they have not responded. They are basically ignoring me. Now I'm gaining the info I need to file a federal lawsuit. Trust me, I plan to ruin Great West's reputation and let everyone know what cheaters and liars they are. In the meantime, because Great West is not paying claims, I've been turned over to collections on several accounts (even though I have been making payments). I worked so hard to clean up my credit, now it's back in the trash again. Oh boy, am I going to get these people. I'm on the warpath, with no intent of stopping or slowing down. e ----- Original Message ----- From: Bos@... Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 4:17 PM Subject: Re: Hashimoto's e--have lived in this town of about 120,000 people for three years and have already met two nurses (one retired and one about ready to) who told me they don't go to doctors anymore. One said that for the second time, a doc stuck his head in the nurses lounge and rattled off symptoms of one of his patients and asked what they thought she had. . .that's when she decided. My first incident with a referral from the family doc was to a plastic surgeon for what he thought was diffuse "fibrocystic disease" ( I now know it's not really a disease) and of course, the ps agreed and pushed like crazy to remove the breasts and use implants. Much later, I was to find the mammogram I had done shortly thereafter which said there was a "hint" of fibrocysts. Did you know that in the early package inserts a contraindication to breast implants was fibrocystic disease? Sixty percent of women are estimated to have this at some point in their lives--usually younger. No problem, just whip those breasts off so one can put in implants! I don't know where this contraindication went. . .but it wasn't in the later package inserts and we don't hear about it now. There is no telling what conditions exist in fibrocystic changes. . .but it doesn't seem to matter to the p s. The only time my insurance company actually insisted on a second opinion was for sinus surgery, even though I sent them a picture telling them I'd already had a nose job. Went to this doc and exactly as you said, he asked who was doing the surgery. . .he knew him well. . .I was never examined. . .it took all of five minutes and he made $125. I spoke of the thyroid and eye problem; I am now seeing one of the eye surgeons (not the main one but older, and in my opinion more knowlegable) and told him what I have been found to have--he could see the changes in my eyes just from a few months ago (after 12 years) He admitted then that he was suspicious of what I had 12 years ago. . .I thought he was then, but couldn't prove it. He went through all manner of machinations when he could have been sued, but not now. Although more knowledgable he went along with the dx then--but bet he hasn't since. And guess what! In order to try to fix the damage, a silicone implant is needed LOL He really got flustered telling me that. . . you may be wondering why I chose to return to him? He is considered "the best" and people come from other states to see him--he is mainly a pediatric strabismus surgeon. Have had experience with our state's manadatory medical review board, also. An adverse outcome does not mean one can't pursue a case, but if three docs are united. . .good luck in court. You seem very good at nursing though, e. Do you think you will stay in it? As young as you are, and with the realizations you have already made, I'd say not. In fact, the stress of knowing is probably prohibitive to healing. Think about it. . . .it's such a broad stress we tend to discount it, but it's the very thing that can keep the brakes on one's full potential--physically, mentally and emotionally. You might consider looking into medical writing when you move, get settled, etc. There is a website for medical writers. . .they may have some info if that appeals to you. Public Citizen now has state lists of doc who have had complaints registered against them. . .it doesn't give details, but it's a start. Bonnie

e:

Hi. I think for the most part what you and have stated about docs sticking together is true. However, I have been to a few docs who have voiced their opinions to me about other docs (their diagnosis too) as idiotic--the validation is a refreshing change!

marie

Bonnie, again thank you for your wonderful feedback. Also, I'm sorry you've gone through some hell yourself, healthwise. I hope you're better now.

I'm going to UCLA today to continue trying to get help. As I told you, I had developed hydrocephelus out of the blue, having resulted in 3 shunts. You said something that caught my attention, about inflamation which is something I have been battling with. As the matter of fact, I always feel so much better when taking ADVIL. I try to hardly take it and only when necessary but I always notice positive results.

On the hair side of things, yes I use the large curling iron to straighten it a bit. When it's humid, my hair gets just as curly within 10 minutes. I have to straighten them everyday. What a pain. I'm not a hair person. Anyway, I'm using a new product for the frizz. It's working nicely. I don't know what happened to my hair but it sure has changed.

Take care my dear friend Bonnie. I hope all is going well for you.

Love,

Leanda

Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 7:21 AM

Leanda-- On the one hand, if your thyroid hormone levels are in the "norm" you are PROBABLY ok. I eventually had a go 'round with my endo re "norm" . I asked how he knew that the "norm" that he was reading was MY "norm" He didn't. So how you feel has a lot to do with "norm", which simply means a range in which most people fall. After years, it was found that my T3 range, although in the "norm" wasn't normal for me-- something I had been trying to tell him. On the other hand, if the doc hasn't done thyroid antibody tests, there's no way he could know whether your hypothyroidism is due to Hoshimoto's or is simply hypothyroidism. My endo says everyone doesn't have the antibodies. . .I say, then how do you know? I believe that statement covers them if they are wrong. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune hyperthyroidism without any antibody testing--it was found many years later that the dx was wrong--in fact, didn't have anything wrong with the thyroid but treatment for "nothing" wound up creating cancer, costing me the gland, and dx of a thyroid eye disease which required 7 surgeries and was wrong--eyes are completely screwed up now--my eye and lid problems were in part due to treatment for a thyroid disease I didn't have and in part due neurological problems and inflammation. Have you noticed how once a doc makes a dx--future docs go along with the same dx? If the original one was in error--the whole situation just mushrooms and eventually you are stuck in the medical circle. Thyroid is nothing to take lightly--even my attorney told me this after a conversation with my endo--he admitted he thought thyroid was simple until that conversation. The question is--do you feel that you are up to speed? In a way, I'm fortunate that my whole gland is out, in that I can tell nuances with the thryoid hormone; when one still has his own gland, it can produce more or less hormone in addition to that being given by the doc. It has to be more difficult to regulate. It seems that getting close to "normal" with replacement is the best one can expect in this case; eventually, it is possible for some to get "normal" without hormone replacement from the doctor. I'd bet that taking that MSM is the answer to your curl--but I'd keep taking it. . .not only does it relieve joint pain, but it's an antioxidant and it also make the thyroid hormone work better. Next time you buy, there is a combination of MSM,. glucosamine AND chondroitin. It is my opinion, that all are necessary for rebuilding--MSM alone, as I said, will not rebuild. Re the curl--if you aren't used to curl--it's easy to manage in drier climates, and I have found that a large curling iron (1-1/2 to 2" around) is invaluable for straightening it out some. Then you can always get a perm and instead of putting in curlers--comb it out straight. This doesn't alleviate the "frizz" in humidity though. I don't mind the curl--it's the "frizz" that frustrates me. Bonnie

Hi ,

Re. the surgeries I've had, well, I've had the illnesses from hell. I developed hydrocephalus, Pseudotumor Cerebrai and Arnold Chiari Malformation. 3 surgeries were to place shunts and one was to decompress my brain stem and make it bigger so the brain fluid could pass without limitations. I had and still are, suffering from inflammation.

I got my implants in 91, and in 94, my health took a big turn. I still have them and working on having them explanted by end of year. However, I have sooooo many things wrong with me, I'm about to consult with a lawyer. I even developed a bone marrow blood disorder called Thrombocythimea. I don't know if there's a correlation, but if there is, WOW... My family even thinks I should go and see an exorcist. Heeheee. Sometimes I think they are right.

Anyway , that's the scoop. What do you think?

Leanda

Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 1:44 PM

Wow that is allot to go through. Refresh my memory, are you still implanted or have you been explanted? Are you suffering from pain in your heels, feet or achilles tendon or is it just in your ankles?

Seems to be a common issue for us. I know my feet are a mess. Can't decide if it is from running, high heels or just the implant illness that I have been aflicted with.

hugs

Dear Bonnie,

Leanda

Most shunts are made of silicone--some are not--it would

be well to find out what yours are made of. I'm

not sure that all of them don't create some inflammation;

inflammation would be expected intially, but whether it

becomes chronic is the issue.

I lived on Advil during some of the bad years--but I've discovered

something about it. . .less is more sometimes. You are probably

doing it better than I because as I felt it's effects I would do more.

The pharmacist clued me in to Advil, as Mayo had given me a prescription for Naprosyn which I could no longer afford; when

Alleve came out I switched as it's formula is closer to Naprosyn

than Advil. I still use it occasionally, if I get a headache from the cold

weather.

Do you feel better just taking an aspirin rather than Advil? I'm wondering

if what you are taking is attacking the inflammation or thinning the blood.

Aspirin is a better blood thinner. . .that's something you could play with

and see. If you have positive effect from anything, it's worth pursuing--it must be

doing something beneficial--what and why? It can lead you to the problem. Have you tried B3/niacin? Although this is natural, it can have quite an

effect on blood vessels and I would definitely check with your doc before

taking it, with your shunts and inflammation difficulties--it might be exactly

what you need, but it might be exactly what you don't, either. Even some

conventional docs recommend it for high cholesterol and blood pressure--

I believe it enlarges the blood vessels.

What is the new product that handles the frizz? I'm definitely interested.(Not that we can get it in Indiana. . .but maybe. . .we are getting a lot of national stores and

restaurants in Indianapolis) Yes, the humidity gets to natural curl, but

even when it's drier, perspiration can do it too. Some of your hair changes

can be due to anesthetics also. . .not the curl, but in texture. . .many drugs

can affect hair.

Good luck at UCLA, Leanda--make sure to let us know of your progress.

Bonnie

Leanda,

What year did you get the shunts placed? Shunts are also made of silicone, unfortunately.....

Patty

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 4:59 AM

Hi ,

Re. the surgeries I've had, well, I've had the illnesses from hell. I developed hydrocephalus, Pseudotumor Cerebrai and Arnold Chiari Malformation. 3 surgeries were to place shunts and one was to decompress my brain stem and make it bigger so the brain fluid could pass without limitations. I had and still are, suffering from inflammation.

I got my implants in 91, and in 94, my health took a big turn. I still have them and working on having them explanted by end of year. However, I have sooooo many things wrong with me, I'm about to consult with a lawyer. I even developed a bone marrow blood disorder called Thrombocythimea. I don't know if there's a correlation, but if there is, WOW... My family even thinks I should go and see an exorcist. Heeheee. Sometimes I think they are right.

Leanda

hugs

Dear Bonnie,

Leanda

Hi Patti,

Yes, I thought about that too, that shunts are made of silicone. However, I became sick and got them in 1994. My implants were from 91.

Leanda

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 7:01 AM

Leanda,

What year did you get the shunts placed? Shunts are also made of silicone, unfortunately.....

Patty

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 4:59 AM

Hi ,

Leanda

hugs

Dear Bonnie,

Leanda

I am actually kind of familiar with your conditions, only from the standpoint that I worked on an ICU at Stanford for 5 years and we used to get all the brain surgeries. Wow, I bet all this is def related to your implants, nothing at all surprises me when it comes to implants and illness that is for sure. I think if you get them removed you may be extremely surprised at how much better some of your symptoms, if not all, get better. Believe me, I was skeptical at first, but other than the foot thing I have going on I am 100% better than I was, no more nasty dizzy brain crap and that weird sick feeling I always had.

Take care and please honey, try to get the implants out.

Good luck to you, I hope you find better health soon

hugs

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 5:59 AM

Hi ,

Leanda

hugs

Dear Bonnie,

Leanda

I have always wondered why the anti inflammatory meds have never worked at all on me, cept to upset my tummy! I have always done so much better for pain relief with narcotics!

ahhh

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 10:39 AM

Most shunts are made of silicone--some are not--it would be well to find out what yours are made of. I'm not sure that all of them don't create some inflammation; inflammation would be expected intially, but whether it becomes chronic is the issue. I lived on Advil during some of the bad years--but I've discovered something about it. . .less is more sometimes. You are probably doing it better than I because as I felt it's effects I would do more. The pharmacist clued me in to Advil, as Mayo had given me a prescription for Naprosyn which I could no longer afford; when Alleve came out I switched as it's formula is closer to Naprosyn than Advil. I still use it occasionally, if I get a headache from the cold weather. Do you feel better just taking an aspirin rather than Advil? I'm wondering if what you are taking is attacking the inflammation or thinning the blood. Aspirin is a better blood thinner. . .that's something you could play with and see. If you have positive effect from anything, it's worth pursuing--it must be doing something beneficial--what and why? It can lead you to the problem. Have you tried B3/niacin? Although this is natural, it can have quite an effect on blood vessels and I would definitely check with your doc before taking it, with your shunts and inflammation difficulties--it might be exactly what you need, but it might be exactly what you don't, either. Even some conventional docs recommend it for high cholesterol and blood pressure-- I believe it enlarges the blood vessels. What is the new product that handles the frizz? I'm definitely interested.(Not that we can get it in Indiana. . .but maybe. . .we are getting a lot of national stores and restaurants in Indianapolis) Yes, the humidity gets to natural curl, but even when it's drier, perspiration can do it too. Some of your hair changes can be due to anesthetics also. . .not the curl, but in texture. . .many drugs can affect hair. Good luck at UCLA, Leanda--make sure to let us know of your progress. Bonnie