RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New and Worried

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My dd is 5 and is being evaluated for AS. Until now I just thought she was

" quirky, " and I was fully accepting of her, but now that we believe she has AS,

I am having a hard time not " correcting " her all the time. I can't stand how I

have become impatient and stressed about things that never worried me before

(poor eye contact, inappropriately talking about the same topic for hours, not

paying attention and falling a lot). How do you all handle it? I want to be

patient and loving, but I am so scared for her that I try too much to " fix " her

problem areas :(

Guest guest

At first glance Conn's looks quite likely. Has your potassium (K) been checked,

many of what you report looks like SX of low K. (I see you reported 3.5 which

while is the low end of the range is too low for many w/PA.) I would start by

DASHing and keep that K up! (Here in the U.S. we use low sodium V8 if it is

available to you.)

Your spiro dose is extremely low and probably needs to go up. Watch your sodium

(Na) as measured in urine. Must be low for MCB (spiro) to work.

Flank pain is reported by many. I was on narcotics to try and control mine for

years until we found PA and got it under control w/spiro. Note, BP resolved

quickly on spiro for me but pain and frequent urination took 10 months. (It

probably would have resolved earlier but my system wouldn't accept more than

25mg bid for spiro! I had other issues so I have stopped spiro, pain has

returned and I am probably looking at surgery.

Keep us posted, we can probably help and have seen most of it!

>

> Hi Dr Grim.

> HISTORY: Hypertension

> 2cm left adrenal mass

> MEDS: Diovan 16mg ; Beta blockers 5mg ; Spiro 25mg.

> I'll try to make my history as brief as possible. I am a 45 year old woman

from Dublin, I have three children. I'm currently on the road to a diagnosis of

probable Conn's Syndrome. I am waiting to see a second endocrinologist as I have

been having treatment privately but things started getting expensive and have to

transfer to the public system, which in Ireland means quite a wait ! My problems

began when my BP started to rise dramatically about 2 years ago following a

stressful period. Previous to this I had attended my GP complaining of

tiredness, frequent toilet visits (especially at night 4-5 times/night),poor

memory and lack of concentration. My GP prescribed Diovan 80mg and referred me

to a cardiologist. The cardiologist sent me for further tests and increased my

Diovan to 160mg and also beta blockers 5mg. He ordered 24 hour urine testing

and my potassium was 3mmol/l. Urine testing for adrenaline, noradrenaline and

dopamine were normal. Repeat U & E was normal and repeat potassium was 3.5mmol/l,

sodium 140. I also had overnight Dexamethazone suppression test and cortisol was

63nmol/1. An MRI of adrenals showed a round 2cm well circumscribed mass of left

adrenal gland. I was then prescribed Spiro 25mg. Plasma/rennin activity

<0.2ng/ml/hr (normal erect range 1-42),aldosterone 2523pmol/l (normal erect

range 194-969). I have a constant dull ache along my left flank and wonder if

this is anything to do with the mass ? My GP suggested I take some time off

work. My concentration in work is very poor and I find that I am making silly

mistakes due to this 'brain fog' and lack of concentration. My first

endocrinologist believes I will have to undergo AVS and ultimately surgery. Of

course this won't be confirmed until I see the other endo in July. I'm not

dealing with the situation well as I have always been an active and positive

person. I'm worried that there may be more serious stuff going on. I'd be

grateful to hear if other people feel like this at times. Thanks for taking the

time to read my story.Many thanks.

>

Guest guest

DASH now.CE Grim MDOn May 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM, suz4dub wrote: Hi Dr Grim. HISTORY: Hypertension 2cm left adrenal mass MEDS: Diovan 16mg ; Beta blockers 5mg ; Spiro 25mg. I'll try to make my history as brief as possible. I am a 45 year old woman from Dublin, I have three children. I'm currently on the road to a diagnosis of probable Conn's Syndrome. I am waiting to see a second endocrinologist as I have been having treatment privately but things started getting expensive and have to transfer to the public system, which in Ireland means quite a wait ! My problems began when my BP started to rise dramatically about 2 years ago following a stressful period. Previous to this I had attended my GP complaining of tiredness, frequent toilet visits (especially at night 4-5 times/night),poor memory and lack of concentration. My GP prescribed Diovan 80mg and referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist sent me for further tests and increased my Diovan to 160mg and also beta blockers 5mg. He ordered 24 hour urine testing and my potassium was 3mmol/l. Urine testing for adrenaline, noradrenaline and dopamine were normal. Repeat U & E was normal and repeat potassium was 3.5mmol/l, sodium 140. I also had overnight Dexamethazone suppression test and cortisol was 63nmol/1. An MRI of adrenals showed a round 2cm well circumscribed mass of left adrenal gland. I was then prescribed Spiro 25mg. Plasma/rennin activity <0.2ng/ml/hr (normal erect range 1-42),aldosterone 2523pmol/l (normal erect range 194-969). I have a constant dull ache along my left flank and wonder if this is anything to do with the mass ? My GP suggested I take some time off work. My concentration in work is very poor and I find that I am making silly mistakes due to this 'brain fog' and lack of concentration. My first endocrinologist believes I will have to undergo AVS and ultimately surgery. Of course this won't be confirmed until I see the other endo in July. I'm not dealing with the situation well as I have always been an active and positive person. I'm worried that there may be more serious stuff going on. I'd be grateful to hear if other people feel like this at times. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.Many thanks.

Guest guest

You describe low potassium symptoms, I don't care or trust the labs that much as they do not draw the potassium right usually. My brain fog and moodiness got alot better once I started taking magnesium too. I get it at wal mart over-the-counter (I know your across the waters). I bet if you correct your potassium you fell better fast. If you can DASH diet enough potassium you'll feel great, but I know I can't get enough potassium from my diet. I keep the salt low, just not enough K. I bet it's the K.

Did they CT your whole abdomen? You clearly have PA based on your labs.

Hi Dr Grim. HISTORY: Hypertension2cm left adrenal massMEDS: Diovan 16mg ; Beta blockers 5mg ; Spiro 25mg.I'll try to make my history as brief as possible. I am a 45 year old woman from Dublin, I have three children. I'm currently on the road to a diagnosis of probable Conn's Syndrome. I am waiting to see a second endocrinologist as I have been having treatment privately but things started getting expensive and have to transfer to the public system, which in Ireland means quite a wait ! My problems began when my BP started to rise dramatically about 2 years ago following a stressful period. Previous to this I had attended my GP complaining of tiredness, frequent toilet visits (especially at night 4-5 times/night),poor memory and lack of concentration. My GP prescribed Diovan 80mg and referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist sent me for further tests and increased my Diovan to 160mg and also beta blockers 5mg. He ordered 24 hour

urine testing and my potassium was 3mmol/l. Urine testing for adrenaline, noradrenaline and dopamine were normal. Repeat U & E was normal and repeat potassium was 3.5mmol/l, sodium 140. I also had overnight Dexamethazone suppression test and cortisol was 63nmol/1. An MRI of adrenals showed a round 2cm well circumscribed mass of left adrenal gland. I was then prescribed Spiro 25mg. Plasma/rennin activity <0.2ng/ml/hr (normal erect range 1-42),aldosterone 2523pmol/l (normal erect range 194-969). I have a constant dull ache along my left flank and wonder if this is anything to do with the mass ? My GP suggested I take some time off work. My concentration in work is very poor and I find that I am making silly mistakes due to this 'brain fog' and lack of concentration. My first endocrinologist believes I will have to undergo AVS and ultimately surgery. Of course this won't be confirmed until I see the other endo in July. I'm not dealing with the

situation well as I have always been an active and positive person. I'm worried that there may be more serious stuff going on. I'd be grateful to hear if other people feel like this at times. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.Many thanks.

Guest guest

The DASH is also a HIGH MG AND CA AND K DIET. CE GRIM MDOn May 4, 2012, at 4:05 AM, Bingham wrote: You describe low potassium symptoms, I don't care or trust the labs that much as they do not draw the potassium right usually. My brain fog and moodiness got alot better once I started taking magnesium too. I get it at wal mart over-the-counter (I know your across the waters). I bet if you correct your potassium you fell better fast. If you can DASH diet enough potassium you'll feel great, but I know I can't get enough potassium from my diet. I keep the salt low, just not enough K. I bet it's the K. Did they CT your whole abdomen? You clearly have PA based on your labs. Hi Dr Grim. HISTORY: Hypertension2cm left adrenal massMEDS: Diovan 16mg ; Beta blockers 5mg ; Spiro 25mg.I'll try to make my history as brief as possible. I am a 45 year old woman from Dublin, I have three children. I'm currently on the road to a diagnosis of probable Conn's Syndrome. I am waiting to see a second endocrinologist as I have been having treatment privately but things started getting expensive and have to transfer to the public system, which in Ireland means quite a wait ! My problems began when my BP started to rise dramatically about 2 years ago following a stressful period. Previous to this I had attended my GP complaining of tiredness, frequent toilet visits (especially at night 4-5 times/night),poor memory and lack of concentration. My GP prescribed Diovan 80mg and referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist sent me for further tests and increased my Diovan to 160mg and also beta blockers 5mg. He ordered 24 hour urine testing and my potassium was 3mmol/l. Urine testing for adrenaline, noradrenaline and dopamine were normal. Repeat U & E was normal and repeat potassium was 3.5mmol/l, sodium 140. I also had overnight Dexamethazone suppression test and cortisol was 63nmol/1. An MRI of adrenals showed a round 2cm well circumscribed mass of left adrenal gland. I was then prescribed Spiro 25mg. Plasma/rennin activity <0.2ng/ml/hr (normal erect range 1-42),aldosterone 2523pmol/l (normal erect range 194-969). I have a constant dull ache along my left flank and wonder if this is anything to do with the mass ? My GP suggested I take some time off work. My concentration in work is very poor and I find that I am making silly mistakes due to this 'brain fog' and lack of concentration. My first endocrinologist believes I will have to undergo AVS and ultimately surgery. Of course this won't be confirmed until I see the other endo in July. I'm not dealing with the situation well as I have always been an active and positive person. I'm worried that there may be more serious stuff going on. I'd be grateful to hear if other people feel like this at times. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.Many thanks.