>

>

> My son has been diagnosed with neurolyme. I found an ID doctor that is

> willing to think outside the box and treat my son. I think he is doing his

> best, but he admits he's no expert. He has my son on a pump using penicillin

> G-K 18 million units every 24 hours. He is Negative for co-infections, but

> has mycoplasma. It's been 10 weeks and there are some noticeable changes. He

> looks healthy again and is gaining weight, but the mental symptoms are still

> horrible. After the 4 week he started to herx.

> He has been in chronic pain day and night. Horrible body aches,and

> headaches. The doctor is making sure his system is OK, but thinks he cant

> get any better. What to do? Have any of you experienced this kind of herx?

> Please help!

> PS. He was on rocphin, but ended up in the ER due to an allergic reaction.

> I also cant afford a lyme literate doctor.

> Thank You

>

>

>

Guest guest

Have you asked about LLMD's in your area? Some will take insurance and as

far as I know its billed as any other doctor appt would be billed.

Re: [ ] Hello

i didn't notice anyone post to make sure your son is taking alot of

probiotics to counteract all the antibiotics! almost everyone with lyme has

finances as an issue but an llmd will get you the best care. see if your

doctor will contact an llmd to refer to. also alot of us have taken out

loans, creditcards, family loans anything to pay for treatment, it is not

unheard of to go in debt to get well.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, puuuurfect

<erikasplace@...>wrote:

>

>

> My son has been diagnosed with neurolyme. I found an ID doctor that is

> willing to think outside the box and treat my son. I think he is doing

> his best, but he admits he's no expert. He has my son on a pump using

> penicillin G-K 18 million units every 24 hours. He is Negative for

> co-infections, but has mycoplasma. It's been 10 weeks and there are

> some noticeable changes. He looks healthy again and is gaining weight,

> but the mental symptoms are still horrible. After the 4 week he started to

herx.

> He has been in chronic pain day and night. Horrible body aches,and

> headaches. The doctor is making sure his system is OK, but thinks he

> cant get any better. What to do? Have any of you experienced this kind of

herx?

> Please help!

> PS. He was on rocphin, but ended up in the ER due to an allergic reaction.

> I also cant afford a lyme literate doctor.

> Thank You

>

>

>

Guest guest

Casey, welcome to the group. We've all experienced something of the feeling you

describe.

When you have a better idea of your situation, after the biopsy, you may have

specific questions.

Many of us like a book by Dr. Palmer, " Guide to Hepatitis and Liver

Disease " . It's a very general book geared to people who are new to liver

disorders. If you can't find it locally, Amazon has it for about $20. There's a

Kindle version, too. Look for the 2004 edition, which is, unfortunately, the

most recent one.

Has your doctor discussed the biopsy process? Do you have any questions about

that?

Best wishes. Write about anything that concerns you or puzzles you.

Harper

AIH dx 2000

CD dx 2002

[ ] Hello

Hello All , I am new to the group . I have been going through tests and lots of

blood work and my gastro. Dr. is doing a liver biopsy on tues. he isnt sure if i

have Autoimmune Hepatitis or Primary Billary Cirrhosis . I feel like i have been

hit with a semi and am numb from all this and thought maybe i would find some

people to talk to who may be going through the same thing .

casey

Guest guest

Hi There..I started taking Humira about 3 years ago when I only had signs of

arthritis (did not know I had PA at the time) it was amazing from the first

shot. I was on Arava for about a month before I started so that could be one of

the reasons it worked so well. It was great for about 2.5 years then started to

be ineffective. I just started Remicade about 3 months ago and just had my first

full body psoriasis flare up after a skin infection. The Remicade does seem to

work well on my joints and seems to be clearing the skin as well too. I wish I

didn't have to go off the Humira it was great! Hope it works just as well for

you!

" francineforman " <francineforman@...>

Guest guest

I went to see my Rheumat. Today and he explaines somethin to me --

He said that the Humira tends to work on the parts of our bodies where the

cartlidge gets inflamed, and the Humira and Plaquenil work on parts that the

synovial fluid is involved.

Just wanted to throw that out.....

It took 5-6 weeks for the Humira to start to kick in for me, but Dr. today

said that maximum benefit doesn¹t show until 6 months...

Guest guest

Welcome ! I'm 49 and found out in 1993 when I got tested before my epilepsy surgery. I also was a wild child in the early 80's and yes, in my mid twenties I got back on the road and have stayed that way since. Everyone here is great and very sweet and I hope you get the answers you are looking for and we are all by your side, no matter where you are!SheilaFrom: Covington

<krisles@...> Sent: Thu, April 22, 2010 11:51:11 AMSubject: [ ] Hello

I'm 57 yr. old female and just found out I have Hep C...I'm on my way out the door to meet with some folks who can explain my liver panel results...which don't look too good to me. But having been as "healthy as a horse" up until now makes me pretty ignorant to this world.

I was in a car accident, gave blood and was a "wild child" in the 70's. In my late twenties, I got back on track and have been there ever since. Just closed my construction company after 12 years due to the economy and experienced some substantial financial losses due to the downturn of the market here in California. I am interested in alternatives as I have no medical insurance.

Thanks,

Guest guest

Thanks, Sheila....

From: sheila slater <a_nc_female@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Hello Date: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 9:41 AM

Welcome ! I'm 49 and found out in 1993 when I got tested before my epilepsy surgery. I also was a wild child in the early 80's and yes, in my mid twenties I got back on the road and have stayed that way since. Everyone here is great and very sweet and I hope you get the answers you are looking for and we are all by your side, no matter where you are!Sheila

From: Covington <krislessbcglobal (DOT) net> Sent: Thu, April 22, 2010 11:51:11 AMSubject: [ ] Hello

I'm 57 yr. old female and just found out I have Hep C...I'm on my way out the door to meet with some folks who can explain my liver panel results...which don't look too good to me. But having been as "healthy as a horse" up until now makes me pretty ignorant to this world.

I was in a car accident, gave blood and was a "wild child" in the 70's. In my late twenties, I got back on track and have been there ever since. Just closed my construction company after 12 years due to the economy and experienced some substantial financial losses due to the downturn of the market here in California. I am interested in alternatives as I have no medical insurance.

Thanks,

Guest guest

Hi

Welcome welcome.

A lot of us were 'wild children', so your not alone.

Me? Ive still got lots of hair. lol

Old habits die hard.

Your probably a bit on the scared side, but you can relax some.

Hepatitis C usually takes a long time to progress.

Chances are, you have time to improve your health.

And more good news.

Medical Science just in this last year has been making giant leaps forward in conventional treatments.

I am a 1B genotype, some say the hardest HCV to treat, but this winter the doctors will have the Protease Inhibitor to add to the Interferon/Riba TX, which in many cases might increase SVR rates, and maybe shorten TX time.

Comming up the pipeline are the all oral anti-virals, and even a possible HCV vaccine.

There are ways to recieve treatment if you have no insurance too.

One is that many Pharm companys provide TX meds free.

Some Organizations do too.

Then theres the Obama HC plan, that should help those without insurance get medical care.

Now this is all for conventional TX.

For alternative TX there are many things we can do to help ourselves be healthier, right at home.

I list many alternative things in the HCV Links Library.

Please check it out. Its chock full of info, and there for all of us to refer to.

http://health.dir./group/ /links <--- click here

I have a heart condition that my Hdoc thinks may kill me if I do the conventional TX with the Interferon.

So while I wait for newer treatments to be approved, I am doing many alternatives like suppliments, diet, lifestyle, exercise, and rest.

These things wont cure me, but they will slow down the progression of liver damage, and improve my health.

, your not alone.

Folks here share with each other all kinds of info, and support.

We have folks here in every stage of HCV, and many have related conditions too.

Please feel free to ask questions, and share whatever you can too.

Hang in there my friend. Be well.

love

don in ks

From: Covington <krisles@...>Subject: [ ] Hello Date: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks,

Guest guest

Harper , Hi and Thanks for the welcome . I got through the biopsy and it was not

bad at all , uncomfortable but not unbearable . I go on thursday ( 5/13 ) to my

gastro . Dr. to discuss the results but in the mean time he told me to start the

urso med - its 300 mg 3xa day i have been on it for 4 days now and seem to be

doing ok , no side effects as of yet and i hope not to come !. I did pick up a

copy of the liver biopsy to take to my primary dr. yesturday and it confirmed it

is pbc , stage 2 of 4 , the report also suggest he do more test to rule out

viral hep. so we will see what the gastro . Dr. says thursday . My primary Dr.

says stage 2 is early yet and with the urso he thinks i will be good for a long

time .Now i have read up alot on the pbc and i have seen a few places suggest it

may be more likely in another family member where one already has it and my

primary Dr. said it can be hereditary and that i should have my boys checked ?,

what have you heard regarding this ?, i will deff. talk with my gastro Dr. about

it too . well just wanted to give you a update , and again thank you for your

time .

Casey

>

>

> Casey, welcome to the group. We've all experienced something of the feeling

you describe.

>

>

> When you have a better idea of your situation, after the biopsy, you may have

specific questions.

>

>

> Many of us like a book by Dr. Palmer, " Guide to Hepatitis and Liver

Disease " . It's a very general book geared to people who are new to liver

disorders. If you can't find it locally, Amazon has it for about $20. There's a

Kindle version, too. Look for the 2004 edition, which is, unfortunately, the

most recent one.

>

>

> Has your doctor discussed the biopsy process? Do you have any questions about

that?

>

>

> Best wishes. Write about anything that concerns you or puzzles you.

>

>

> Harper

> AIH dx 2000

> CD dx 2002

>

>

>

>

> [ ] Hello

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello All , I am new to the group . I have been going through tests and lots

of blood work and my gastro. Dr. is doing a liver biopsy on tues. he isnt sure

if i have Autoimmune Hepatitis or Primary Billary Cirrhosis . I feel like i have

been hit with a semi and am numb from all this and thought maybe i would find

some people to talk to who may be going through the same thing .

> casey

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

:

I know what you are going through to some extent. I have eight children, all Aspies and another two that we adopted, both high functioning autism.

I have lost almost all my friends because of this. I have a good husband who is supportive, and I have an elderly woman who helps take care of everyone. Oh, and did I mention that I, myself, am an Aspie, and my parents think when they see us doing typical Aspie things that we could stop if we wanted to.

One time, we were in the pharmacy. It's a Mom and Pop kind of place, but it's very busy. My seventeen year old son Jazz, just looked at me pleadingly and said, "Chesa," (all my kids call me by my name instead of mom, same with their father), "I need a sensory break. I need to go outside. May I please?"

I was on the verge of saying go ahead, here's the car keys, when my father stood up, grabbed Jazz by the collar and told him not to be a wuss, (actualy word omitted), and that he could sit his a** down and act normal for once. Jazz and I were in tears.

Chesa Devon

( ) Hello

My name is . I have two daughters ages five and seven years old. My seven year old was diagnosed last year with High Functioning Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder along with other disabilities that have come to light since then. I have spent my last year feeling that I am dealing with this alone. My mother was making me out to be an unfit mother. My husband does not understand fully what sets her off or how to deal with her when she has a bad day. The only person I had to talk to was my cousin, She has her own issues as her children have O.C.D and Aspergers themselves. So it is hard to really have a conversation with her or to get together because her son has the violent part of the Aspergers. My daughter is super sensitive to everything and cries at a drop of a dime. I came her to find friends and support from others that are going through the same thing I am. There are days I feel isolated and withdrawn from everyone around because some days it is hard to go anywhere when she is having it rough as I can never tell what will set her off from one day to the next.

Guest guest

I spend my days in the house too because of the confusion and trouble that my child has getting out. Vent away.... I am there for you!On May 13, 2010, at 3:41 PM, mothersnuthouse wrote:

My name is . I have two daughters ages five and seven years old. My seven year old was diagnosed last year with High Functioning Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder along with other disabilities that have come to light since then. I have spent my last year feeling that I am dealing with this alone. My mother was making me out to be an unfit mother. My husband does not understand fully what sets her off or how to deal with her when she has a bad day. The only person I had to talk to was my cousin, She has her own issues as her children have O.C.D and Aspergers themselves. So it is hard to really have a conversation with her or to get together because her son has the violent part of the Aspergers. My daughter is super sensitive to everything and cries at a drop of a dime.

I came her to find friends and support from others that are going through the same thing I am. There are days I feel isolated and withdrawn from everyone around because some days it is hard to go anywhere when she is having it rough as I can never tell what will set her off from one day to the next.

Guest guest

Goodness me - a little understanding!!!Proud of your son though vocalizing his feelingsKelSent from my iPhoneOn 14/05/2010, at 8:49 PM, "Chesa " <toliantown@...> wrote:

:

I know what you are going through to some extent. I have eight children, all Aspies and another two that we adopted, both high functioning autism.

I have lost almost all my friends because of this. I have a good husband who is supportive, and I have an elderly woman who helps take care of everyone. Oh, and did I mention that I, myself, am an Aspie, and my parents think when they see us doing typical Aspie things that we could stop if we wanted to.

One time, we were in the pharmacy. It's a Mom and Pop kind of place, but it's very busy. My seventeen year old son Jazz, just looked at me pleadingly and said, "Chesa," (all my kids call me by my name instead of mom, same with their father), "I need a sensory break. I need to go outside. May I please?"

I was on the verge of saying go ahead, here's the car keys, when my father stood up, grabbed Jazz by the collar and told him not to be a wuss, (actualy word omitted), and that he could sit his a** down and act normal for once. Jazz and I were in tears.

Chesa Devon

( ) Hello

My name is . I have two daughters ages five and seven years old. My seven year old was diagnosed last year with High Functioning Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder along with other disabilities that have come to light since then. I have spent my last year feeling that I am dealing with this alone. My mother was making me out to be an unfit mother. My husband does not understand fully what sets her off or how to deal with her when she has a bad day. The only person I had to talk to was my cousin, She has her own issues as her children have O.C.D and Aspergers themselves. So it is hard to really have a conversation with her or to get together because her son has the violent part of the Aspergers. My daughter is super sensitive to everything and cries at a drop of a dime. I came her to find friends and support from others that are going through the same thing I am. There are days I feel isolated and withdrawn from everyone around because some days it is hard to go anywhere when she is having it rough as I can never tell what will set her off from one day to the next.

Guest guest

The memory issues, yes. That should come back after you are done with tx. The weight gain, can't help you with that one, I lost 100 pounds. But the good news is apparently the nausea isn't too bad so you can eat. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. I suffered from severe dehydration and malnutrition during tx. It made tx that much harder. Don't stress on the memory stuff, just take care of yourself while you are going thru this! Hugs,TeriSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "dbrown715907" <dbrown715907@...>Sender: Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 03:30:36 -0000< >Reply Subject: [ ] hello I did my 16th shot on thursday, i am doing ok. My big problem is my memorie. I keep forgeting things I should no, leaving my stuff places weird stuff, and I have gained 17 lbs since i started in march, wth! I thought i was going to loose weight. This happen to anyone else

Guest guest

Hi le

Thank you for letting us know how you are doing.

The memory thing is just brain fog....I think it will pass.

Just dont forget to take your meds.

You can tell us funny stories about where you found your stuff. LOL :-)

Hey, Im really glad that your sides arent that bad.

Some folks have it really bad on HCV TX.

16 down....thats great. Your doing wonderful.

Keep up the good job.

How are your labs?

I dont know about the weight gain thing.

Most folks lose weight, possibly due to lack of food, because they feel sick.

What are you able to eat - everything?

Try to watch eating things that cause weight gain, is all I know to suggest.

Some of it might be water weight gain too, maybe, but dont stop drinking lots of water.

Fluids are a must.

love

don in ks

From: dbrown715907 <dbrown715907@...>Subject: [ ] hello Date: Friday, July 16, 2010, 10:30 PM

I did my 16th shot on thursday, i am doing ok. My big problem is my memorie. I keep forgeting things I should no, leaving my stuff places weird stuff, and I have gained 17 lbs since i started in march, wth! I thought i was going to loose weight. This happen to anyone else------------------------------------

Guest guest

Wow! Good for you...sixteen down! I hope to be starting tx soon. And, darn, I was really looking forward to losing some weight... Would even sacrifice SOME hair in trade to lose pounds. LoL. Seems that some one else did say that they didn't lose any, but don't know about gaining. Lord, that would be my luck...I never loseowhen on a drug or tx that I should! Try to keep a sense of humor about the brain fog. I already have it bad; difficult to hold a conversation. In fact I hesitate to speak much with people other than those closest who know what to expect. It's embarrassing. Sometimes I get frustrated or want to cry at my " stupidity". With my BFF and my Hubby we try to rely on humor. But it can be a little scarey. Double check myself about safety things, like stove etc( and putting things in refrig that need to be !). I don't think I could get much worse on tx. What genotype are u and how long is

your tx for? I am comparing peoples experiences and seems like most of the 2b people ( I am) are having a milder time with sides. It is giving me courage to start this battle. Continued good luck and good health. Thanks for checking in with us all. Trudy sweltering In OK http://facebook.com/people/andTrudy-Kinsey/1340460877 " I "A well- behaved woman never made history"...Mae Westhttp://oktravels.wordpress.com http://allrecipes.com/cook/TrudyK/profile.aspx On Jul 16, 2010, at 10:30 PM, "dbrown715907" <dbrown715907@...>

wrote:

I did my 16th shot on thursday, i am doing ok. My big problem is my memorie. I keep forgeting things I should no, leaving my stuff places weird stuff, and I have gained 17 lbs since i started in march, wth! I thought i was going to loose weight. This happen to anyone else

Guest guest

i am type 1a, i have to stary on till 48 weeks if its working, I find out monday

>

> > I did my 16th shot on thursday, i am doing ok. My big problem is my

> > memorie. I keep forgeting things I should no, leaving my stuff

> > places weird stuff, and I have gained 17 lbs since i started in

> > march, wth! I thought i was going to loose weight. This happen to

> > anyone else

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Memories - ahh those sweet memories!! Where did they all go??? There are times that I swear I will forget my own name one of these days because nothing much seems to stick. Apparently, my 85 yr old Dad is beginning to have Oldtimers. Well, I truly believe that I've got it worse than him.But the weight gain has got me too. On my first round of tx, I only lost 5 lbs and needless to say put it back on after tx and put it on numerous times until my second round. I was so ever happy that I lost 30 lbs on that tx, except that no one noticed because my liver was still so swollen. Guess that means to that nobody really noticed that I was having to pull my pants up constantly either.Now, the other day, I went to my very first meeting of a newly formed

support group here. The lady that I knew there, that is 4 months into her 6 months of tx, looks like she's been gaining too. Of course, I was not impolite enough to ask her that; but, I swear that I saw her just before tx and she wasn't that big.Gloria

I did my 16th shot on thursday, i am doing ok. My big problem is my memorie. I keep forgeting things I should no, leaving my stuff places weird stuff, and I have gained 17 lbs since i started in march, wth! I thought i was going to loose weight. This happen to anyone else

Guest guest

>

> Hi le

> Thank you for letting us know how you are doing.

> The memory thing is just brain fog....I think it will pass.

> Just dont forget to take your meds.

>  

> You can tell us funny stories about where you found your stuff. LOL :-)

>  

> Hey, Im really glad that your sides arent that bad.

> Some folks have it really bad on HCV TX.

> 16 down....thats great. Your doing wonderful.

> Keep up the good job.

>  

> How are your labs?

>  

> I dont know about the weight gain thing.

> Most folks lose weight, possibly due to lack of food, because they feel sick.

> What are you able to eat - everything?

> Try to watch eating things that cause weight gain, is all I know to suggest.

> Some of it might be water weight gain too, maybe, but dont stop drinking lots

of water.

> Fluids are a must.

>  

> love

> don in ks

>  

>

ya, not finding my stuff any funny places. I left my phone and my wallet ontop

of the car and drove off, found all my stuff all over the highway when I went

back to find it! And i keep putting my kids shoes on the wrong feet. lol im

loosing it

Guest guest

Loren,

You wrote:

>

>

> ... For me, the road to this disease followed this path:

> (1) Consuming large amounts of soy for 14 years, until

> (2) In 2004, my daughter died of leukemia

> (3) Menopause began in 2003

> (4) Physical stress from distance cycling from 2003 until 2007 .... I

> have read on many other websites that people with Hypo should avoid

> peanuts, soy, and root veggies. I read that almond butter is okay.

>

Sorry for your loss. Welcome to the list.

If you are beginning the " path " without treatment, you need to avoid all

goitrogens, particularly raw _cruciferous_ vegetables, not roots. This

family includes broccoli and cauliflower. Cooking helps. However, if you

truly have a failing thyroid, no amount of herbs or other alternative

medicines will help, unless you replace the hormones. The only side

effects are those of incorrect dosage, either too much or too little,

which is why the medication needs to be carefully titrated.

Chuck

Guest guest

Perhaps you could post your hypothyroidism lab results [be sure to

include ranges]. There are often people here who are far better

informed about those test results than I am who might be able to help

you interpret them.

The thyroid hormones [T4/T3] are necessary for life; if you do not make

them you must take them. There are no supplements or alternative

sources; you must take them or you will eventually sicken and die if

your body doesn't make them.

Homeopathic remedies have no value whatsoever beyond psychological

response, chance or placebo; as a matter of fact many of the concoctions

do not have a single molecule [as in NONE WHATSOEVER] of the supposed

" active " ingredient.

Soy products were [and still are] touted as extremely beneficial health

products; hopefully you have come to realize the absurdity of that

claim. Big Agra spent millions or hundreds of millions of dollars to

convince you and me that a worthless or outright harmful product was not

only not harmful but rather was good for you. The success of that

campaign is attested every time you read another glowing report on the

benefits of soy. Too bad more people don't put " soy toxins " into Google.

Luck,

>

> Posted by: " capsopoulosl " dundeemoosee@...

> <mailto:dundeemoosee@...?Subject=%20Re%3AHello> capsopoulosl

> <capsopoulosl>

>

>

> Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:56 pm (PDT)

>

>

>

> I am glad to find this group and hope it will give me some insight

> into my problem. I have been to so many doctors, had an MRI back in

> 2006 which showed full function, yet things kept getting worse. I had

> originally believed I had Candida, which turned out to be true. At the

> time, I didn't have all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. But it was

> a process.

> For me, the road to this disease followed this path:

> (1) Consuming large amounts of soy for 14 years, until

> (2) In 2004, my daughter died of leukemia

> (3) Menopause began in 2003

> (4) Physical stress from distance cycling from 2003 until 2007 - all

> of this was done while I was having an increase in symptoms, pulling

> my system down more.

> I have eaten a vegetarian diet for 20 years, just adding fish last

> year at the advice of an herbalist practitioner.

> I started having weight gain last year, along with dry skin, dry hair,

> loss of hair, decreased libido, horribly aching joints, etc. I have

> not had a problem with weight until now. I am usually around 135lbs,

> now I am at 153 lbs, which affects my self esteem and mood.

> I use good supplements and participate in moderate walking about 5

> times per week.

> I am now being treated with homeopathic remedies since about 4 weeks

> ago. I want to avoid drugs as I do not like the side effects - I have

> seen this in other people. You know, sometimes the cure is worse than

> the disease! I have no other health problems: my heart is great, bones

> great, no blood pressure problems, etc. By the way, I am almost 53

> years old.

> I plan to try Maca, will resume using nutritional yeast (I used it

> several years ago when I was a vegan), and monitor my B-vitamins and

> others more closely. I have read on many other websites that people

> with Hypo should avoid peanuts, soy, and root veggies. I read that

> almond butter is okay.

> Well, that's my story. Will enjoy becoming part of the group.

> Loren C.

Guest guest

I went from having a functioning thyroid, to one that's not functioning

at all. After reading that a problem with the pituitary gland is one

cause of a non-functioning thyroid, I'm wondering if I should have

tests done on the pituitary gland. I don't have symptoms of blurred

vision, headaches, extreme fatigue, or others I saw listed. My doctor

is minimizing my concerns and saying take the thyroid pills for six

weeks and we'll do another blood test then. He seems to think

determining the cause of my thyroid not working is unimportant. I don't

want to be treating on the symptom if there is an underlying problem

that caused it.

My doctor did blood work, and called before I got home to advise me I

had to get on 25MCG Levothyroxin right away. I am 65 years old and up

to now have been in excellent health, except for borderline high blood

pressure, which is controlled with medication. I was shocked to find

that my thyroid is not underactive, but inactive.

I have had insomnia, fairly low energy, and hair loss, but no symptoms

bad enough to send me to the doctor. I thought my symptoms were due to

the fact that I used to take 2 mg estrogen for 27 years after a

complete hysterectomy, and have been off of them, since I was told all

of a sudden they cause all the things I was told for 27 years they

would prevent. What sent me to the doctor was a round raised area that

popped up on my chest. It's about 3 inches high and 2 inches winde. My

doctor says he's seen that and it's just fat. I'm not fat. I weigh 116

and am almost 5'2 " tall.

Before the blood tests I asked him if it could be related to the

thyroid, and he said no. Now I wonder.

Do you think it's wise to treat the non-functioning thyroid, and just

assume it's not caused by the pituitary glad, since the thyroid problem

is the only symptom I'm aware of that there could be a problem with the

pituitary gland?

Thank you so very much for your time. I don't know where else to turn.

After reading different web pages I became more and more confused by

all the medical terminology I don't understand. Thank you. Thank you,

and Thank you again.

Barbara

Guest guest

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get the proper tests.

FreeT3, FreeT4, TSH, adrenal panel, antibody panel, blood glucose, cholesterol

panel, ferritin, CBC.

When you have the results of these tests (on a 12 hour fast, no medications of

any kind

including homeopathic, vitamins or herbs before test) get a copy of your test

results including the ranges and post them here and we can help you to sort

things out.

If you have had Candida in the past, I would not recommend starting on yeast at

this time, since Candida is yeast and you wouldn't want to start it up again.

<>Roni

Immortality exists!

It's called knowledge!

Just because something isn't seen

doesn't mean it's not there<>

Subject: Hello

hypothyroidism

Date: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 4:37 PM

I am glad to find this group and hope it will give me some insight into my

problem.  I have been to so many doctors, had an MRI back in 2006 which showed

full function, yet things kept getting worse. I had originally believed I had

Candida, which turned out to be true.  At the time, I didn't have all of the

symptoms of hypothyroidism.  But it was a process.

For me, the road to this disease followed this path:

(1) Consuming large amounts of soy for 14 years, until

(2) In 2004, my daughter died of leukemia

(3) Menopause began in 2003

(4) Physical stress from distance cycling from 2003 until 2007 - all of this was

done while I was having an increase in symptoms, pulling my system down more.

I have eaten a vegetarian diet for 20 years, just adding fish last year at the

advice of an herbalist practitioner.

I started having weight gain last year, along with dry skin, dry hair, loss of

hair, decreased libido, horribly aching joints, etc.  I have not had a problem

with weight until now.  I am usually around 135lbs, now I am at 153 lbs, which

affects my self esteem and mood.

I use good supplements and participate in moderate walking about 5 times per

week.

I am now being treated with homeopathic remedies since about 4 weeks ago.  I

want to avoid drugs as I do not like the side effects - I have seen this in

other people.  You know, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease! I have no

other health problems:  my heart is great, bones great, no blood pressure

problems, etc.  By the way, I am almost 53 years old.

I plan to try Maca, will resume using nutritional yeast (I used it several years

ago when I was a vegan), and monitor my B-vitamins and others more closely.  I

have read on many other websites that people with Hypo should avoid peanuts,

soy, and root veggies.  I read that almond butter is okay.

Well, that's my story.  Will enjoy becoming part of the group.

Loren C.

------------------------------------

Guest guest

Thank you very much. I have had blood tests, but don't know if all of

these were included. I'll find out and get back with you.

Barbara

Hello

hypothyroidism

I am glad to find this group and hope it will give me some insight into

my problem.  I have been to so many doctors, had an MRI back in 2006

which showed full function, yet things kept getting worse. I had

originally believed I had Candida, which turned out to be true.  At the

time, I didn't have all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.  But it was

a process.

(4) Physical stress from distance cycling from 2003 until 2007 - all of

this was done while I was having an increase in symptoms, pulling my

system down more.

I have eaten a vegetarian diet for 20 years, just adding fish last year

at the advice of an herbalist practitioner.

I started having weight gain last year, along with dry skin, dry hair,

loss of hair, decreased libido, horribly aching joints, etc.  I have

not had a problem with weight until now.  I am usually around 135lbs,

now I am at 153 lbs, which affects my self esteem and mood.

I use good supplements and participate in moderate walking about 5

times per week.

I am now being treated with homeopathic remedies since about 4 weeks

ago.  I want to avoid drugs as I do not like the side effects - I have

seen this in other people.  You know, sometimes the cure is worse than

the disease! I have no other health problems:  my heart is great, bones

great, no blood pressure problems, etc.  By the way, I am almost 53

years old.

I plan to try Maca, will resume using nutritional yeast (I used it

several years ago when I was a vegan), and monitor my B-vitamins and

others more closely.  I have read on many other websites that people

with Hypo should avoid peanuts, soy, and root veggies.  I read that

almond butter is okay.

Loren C.

Guest guest

Please post all the test results you got along with the ranges. Each lab has

different

ranges.

<>Roni

Immortality exists!

It's called knowledge!

Subject: Re: Re:Hello

hypothyroidism

Date: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 9:28 AM

I went from having a functioning thyroid, to one that's not functioning

at all. After reading that a problem with the pituitary gland is one

cause of a non-functioning thyroid, I'm wondering if I should have

tests done on the pituitary gland. I don't have symptoms of blurred

vision, headaches, extreme fatigue, or others I saw listed. My doctor

is minimizing my concerns and saying take the thyroid pills for six

weeks and we'll do another blood test then. He seems to think

determining the cause of my thyroid not working is unimportant. I don't

want to be treating on the symptom if there is an underlying problem

that caused it.

My doctor did blood work, and called before I got home to advise me I

had to get on 25MCG Levothyroxin right away. I am 65 years old and up

to now have been in excellent health, except for borderline high blood

pressure, which is controlled with medication. I was shocked to find

that my thyroid is not underactive, but inactive.

I have had insomnia, fairly low energy, and hair loss, but no symptoms

bad enough to send me to the doctor. I thought my symptoms were due to

the fact that I used to take 2 mg estrogen for 27 years after a

complete hysterectomy, and have been off of them, since I was told all

of a sudden they cause all the things I was told for 27 years they

would prevent. What sent me to the doctor was a round raised area that

popped up on my chest. It's about 3 inches high and 2 inches winde. My

doctor says he's seen that and it's just fat. I'm not fat. I weigh 116

and am almost 5'2 " tall.

Before the blood tests I asked him if it could be related to the

thyroid, and he said no. Now I wonder.

Do you think it's wise to treat the non-functioning thyroid, and just

assume it's not caused by the pituitary glad, since the thyroid problem

is the only symptom I'm aware of that there could be a problem with the

pituitary gland?

Thank you so very much for your time. I don't know where else to turn. 

After reading different web pages I became more and more confused by

all the medical terminology I don't understand. Thank you. Thank you,

and Thank you again.

Barbara

Guest guest

That's good. By the way, thyroid treatment is not drugs it's hormones that the

body needs in order to work. If  you take the natural dessicated hormones

Naturethroid or Armour, they are made from natural sources for the most part,

except for the fillers.

<>Roni

Immortality exists!

It's called knowledge!

Subject: Hello

hypothyroidism

I am glad to find this group and hope it will give me some insight into

my problem.  I have been to so many doctors, had an MRI back in 2006

which showed full function, yet things kept getting worse. I had

originally believed I had Candida, which turned out to be true.  At the

time, I didn't have all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.  But it was

a process.

(4) Physical stress from distance cycling from 2003 until 2007 - all of

this was done while I was having an increase in symptoms, pulling my

system down more.

I have eaten a vegetarian diet for 20 years, just adding fish last year

at the advice of an herbalist practitioner.

I started having weight gain last year, along with dry skin, dry hair,

loss of hair, decreased libido, horribly aching joints, etc.  I have

not had a problem with weight until now.  I am usually around 135lbs,

now I am at 153 lbs, which affects my self esteem and mood.

I use good supplements and participate in moderate walking about 5

times per week.

I am now being treated with homeopathic remedies since about 4 weeks

ago.  I want to avoid drugs as I do not like the side effects - I have

seen this in other people.  You know, sometimes the cure is worse than

the disease! I have no other health problems:  my heart is great, bones

great, no blood pressure problems, etc.  By the way, I am almost 53

years old.

I plan to try Maca, will resume using nutritional yeast (I used it

several years ago when I was a vegan), and monitor my B-vitamins and

others more closely.  I have read on many other websites that people

with Hypo should avoid peanuts, soy, and root veggies.  I read that

almond butter is okay.

Loren C.