RemedySpot.com

Hello

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I would agree with you. This could be a valid reason for waiting to start treatment. First, though, you have to know what the damage is. Interferon/ribavarin are not without their dangers. These are all things we have to weigh to make a decision. We also have to remember how slow the FDA is at approving new medications. The Pegylated interferon was available before I started treatment and my dr kept telling me that he expected by the next month he should be able to get me on it, but I ended up completing my treatment before this could all be done. -dz-

tangly cottage gardening <tangly@...> wrote: I don't know a whole lot about Hep C, so I could have this all wrong, butone thing I read (I think in the recent Newsweek article) is that becauseinterferon only works for some people, and because new drugs that workbetter are expected to be developed and available in about 5 years, somedoctors think that if you are not really really sick, it is a valid choiceto wait for something better than interferon or interferon combinations. Ihope no one thinks I am nuts to say this... ;-) ....but if I have it, or ifmy spouse tests as not having much damage yet, I would consider waiting tosee if a better treatment comes along soon. Part of that, I am sure, is thefear related to being self-employed and having half-a**ed insurance coveragethat might only pay half the cost of treatment...Oh, and another I read somewhere is that interferon can cause damage, i.e.some serious side effects, so maybe they weigh the dangers of the treatmentagainst the dangers of waiting.Anyway....like I said, I don't know much, and I don't want to bring up asubject (waiting for better treatment) that might be a hot button!Best wishes for your son,Skyler Re: [ ] HelloI would say that is true except at this class they kept stressing the costof treatment and I am not sure how many liver transplants they evenconsider doing. They kepts saying treatment is only for those who are verysick with it. I am not sure I agree. If the virus is left alive andkicking .... won't it do its damage eventually. Why not do it when there islittle damage instead of so much. Just a thought. I am sure I just don'tlike the idea of some virus in my son. ----- Original Message -----From: Terry LongSent: Friday, May 03, 2002 11:25 AM Subject: Re: [ ] Hello I still thank that more likely it is the DR & not the HMO. After alltreatment is cheaper then a liver transplant. And HMO's are suppose to beabout cost containment. Terry WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote:Here is my concern more than anything with the class there were lots ofpeople there. This was not an individual meeting with our son and his wife.Not only that Greg and came away saying they learned nothing they didnot know. And trust me they are fairly uneducated about this. That alonescares me. All these months passing no biopsy no PCR nothing just a positivediagnosis and go home live well and proseper .....I am scared to death theHMO is sparing expense. ----- Original Message -----From: imaganeerSent: Friday, May 03, 2002 5:38 AM Subject: Re: [ ] HelloYou got that right! Even though I thought I had a very competent dr in theend. He took some time right at the beginning and we talked about thisdisease, the treatment, etc. but that was about it. Unfortunately the dr'sdon't seem to have the time to spend with individual patients, they come in,do their thing and they're out of there. Thank God for the internet. Thoughyou have to be careful not to believe everything out here, at least you canbelieve other people who have been through this. -dz- Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote:If you don't get educated about it, you'll neverunderstand. I find that this and the other group I'min have been a Godsend, because people understand. Sharon--- WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote:> Yup..... Greg makes it to the end of his work day> 3/4ths in a fog and half dazed with fatigue by the> time his work day is over. He was making a huge> mistake for awhile. He was so tired he was slamming> high protein drinks and protein bars trying to find> that energy..... big mistake.... its a wonder he> could find his way home. Seems the common> interpretation by most is geez he is getting lazy> and irresponsible and even though inside he really> does know how hard hes worked and his job is> really physical and manly man stuff and he should> be able to work hard and play just as hard end> result his self esteem has plummeted into the> toilet..... and to him to say hey Im tired is just> inexcuseable. I just got on his brother hard core.> Moms can lecture whoo hoo you better believe it> when they are on a roll. For a while there on> Friday nights they were toget off work and pack up> and go 2 hours up to the mountains where his brother> and his wife and kids live so they all could> snowboard and ski all weekend. Well they'd get up> there late as it takes Greg and a while at> the end of the work week to get things going to get> up there. His need to spend time with his bro and> wife and have some family fun was writing checks> his body couldn't cash. Which in turn meant that> his brother and wife are up there thinking whats> wrong those lazy bums get off your duffers and get> up here. I told his brother they need to educate> themselves about this and get off his rear before> dealing with me requires more effort than they want> to deal with!!! We have a rather complicated family> Greg and his only brother ...... married sisters.> Well I won't go into the rest of this...... but> suffice it to say Gregs reputation for lazy due to> the fatigue is superceding his ability to give a> hoot at times. He catches it from all possible> directions. I think his wife is starting to really> see this now too. And maybe between the two of us> we can hope to get some attitudes corrected. Sure> hope so cause if Greg is depressed that would be> why. >__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Back when they tested for the hcv they were elevated not just on one test but two. He had a bacteria called H Pylori in the stomach. And it was causing him such heartburn and pain so he went to the doctors even wondering if it was his heart. At that time the liver enzymes were elevated. Once he treated the H pylori the liver enzymes have leveled off to near normal. But because they were elevated then they tested him.. he was positive for the antibody. Does that make more sense? Re: [ ] Hello> Without ALL the tests, how can they know?>> Sharon>>> __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

My point exactly put him through treatment while he is still young and healthy not older and sicker. Makes sense to me. Re: [ ] Hello You got that right! Even though I thought I had a very competent dr in the end. He took some time right at the beginning and we talked about this disease, the treatment, etc. but that was about it. Unfortunately the dr's don't seem to have the time to spend with individual patients, they come in, do their thing and they're out of there. Thank God for the internet. Though you have to be careful not to believe everything out here, at least you can believe other people who have been through this. -dz- Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: If you don't get educated about it, you'll neverunderstand. I find that this and the other group I'min have been a Godsend, because people understand. Sharon--- WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote:> Yup..... Greg makes it to the end of his work day> 3/4ths in a fog and half dazed with fatigue by the> time his work day is over. He was making a huge> mistake for awhile. He was so tired he was slamming> high protein drinks and protein bars trying to find> that energy..... big mistake.... its a wonder he> could find his way home. Seems the common> interpretation by most is geez he is getting lazy> and irresponsible and even though inside he really> does know how hard hes worked and his job is> really physical and manly man stuff and he should> be able to work hard and play just as hard end> result his self esteem has plummeted into the> toilet..... and to him to say hey Im tired is just> inexcuseable. I just got on his brother hard core.> Moms can lecture whoo hoo you better believe it> when they are on a roll. For a while there on> Friday nights they were toget off work and pack up> and go 2 hours up to the mountains where his brother> and his wife and kids live so they all could> snowboard and ski all weekend. Well they'd get up> there late as it takes Greg and a while at> the end of the work week to get things going to get> up there. His need to spend time with his bro and> wife and have some family fun was writing checks> his body couldn't cash. Which in turn meant that> his brother and wife are up there thinking whats> wrong those lazy bums get off your duffers and get> up here. I told his brother they need to educate> themselves about this and get off his rear before> dealing with me requires more effort than they want> to deal with!!! We have a rather complicated family> Greg and his only brother ...... married sisters.> Well I won't go into the rest of this...... but> suffice it to say Gregs reputation for lazy due to> the fatigue is superceding his ability to give a> hoot at times. He catches it from all possible> directions. I think his wife is starting to really> see this now too. And maybe between the two of us> we can hope to get some attitudes corrected. Sure> hope so cause if Greg is depressed that would be> why. > __________________________________________________

Guest guest

He has had zero risk factors except for the tattoo. He was not an IV drug user did not have transufsions etc. He is in a mannogamous relationship in the confines of marriage . So ... in the ways that one comes in contact the tattos were about it. Unless there are other ways not discussed between him and the doctors. Re: [ ] Hello> > > > You got that right! Even though I thought I had a> > very competent dr in the end. He took some time> > right at the beginning and we talked about this> > disease, the treatment, etc. but that was about> it.> > Unfortunately the dr's don't seem to have the time> > to spend with individual patients, they come in,> do> > their thing and they're out of there. Thank God> for> > the internet. Though you have to be careful not to> > believe everything out here, at least you can> > believe other people who have been through this. > > > -dz- > > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: > > If you don't get educated about it, you'll never> > understand. I find that this and the other group> I'm> > in have been a Godsend, because people understand.> > > Sharon> > --- WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote:> > > Yup..... Greg makes it to the end of his work> day> > > 3/4ths in a fog and half dazed with fatigue by> the> > > time his work day is over. He was making a huge> > > mistake for awhile. He was so tired he was> > slamming> > > high protein drinks and protein bars trying to> > find> > > that energy..... big mistake.... its a wonder he> > > could find his way home. Seems the common> > > interpretation by most is geez he is getting > lazy> > > and irresponsible and even though inside he> really> > > does know how hard hes worked and his job is> > > really physical and manly man stuff and he> should> > > be able to work hard and play just as hard end> > > result his self esteem has plummeted into the> > > toilet..... and to him to say hey Im tired is> > just> > > inexcuseable. I just got on his brother hard> > core.> > > Moms can lecture whoo hoo you better believe> it> > > when they are on a roll. For a while there on> > > Friday nights they were toget off work and pack> > up> > > and go 2 hours up to the mountains where his> > brother> > > and his wife and kids live so they all could> > > snowboard and ski all weekend. Well they'd get> up> > > there late as it takes Greg and a while> at> > > the end of the work week to get things going to> > get> > > up there. His need to spend time with his bro> and> > > wife and have some family fun was writing> checks> > > his body couldn't cash. Which in turn meant> that> > > his brother and wife are up there thinking whats> > > wrong those lazy bums get off your duffers and> get> > > up here. I told his brother they need to> educate> > > themselves about this and get off his rear> before> > > dealing with me requires more effort than they> > want> > > to deal with!!! We have a rather complicated> > family> > > Greg and his only brother ...... married> > sisters.> > > Well I won't go into the rest of this...... but> > > suffice it to say Gregs reputation for lazy due> to> > > the fatigue is superceding his ability to give> a> > > hoot at times. He catches it from all possible> > > directions. I think his wife is starting to> > really> > > see this now too. And maybe between the two of> us> > > we can hope to get some attitudes corrected. > Sure> > > hope so cause if Greg is depressed that would be> > > why. > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________> >

Guest guest

After watching my Mom battle RA for 25 years, I have a good idea what you all are going through. Now you guys are fighting two dragons RA & Hep C. I feel for you.

Terry

WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote:

RA is a very cruel thing. I have seen Bill suffer so with it.. Breaks the heart.

Re: [ ] Hello

they checked me too for that arthritis due to the fact I was hurting so much in my joints..I do have Osteo arthritis they found out so you seee it there is a reasoon for checking him for it..He may be complaining of joint aches..

Guest guest

Yes. That may also explain why they are not recommending tx yet. They may want to monitor the liver enzymes for a while. I have read that people with consitantly normal enzyme levels do not respond well to the current treatment, so they may be looking for another possible treatment upcoming, or waiting for a couple of more high readings to determine if the treatment would be called for. Still, I would sure fight to get tested for presence of the virus itself. People who have cleared the virus on their own, still test positive for the antibodies, so without that test you really don't even know if he still has the virus. I seem to recall that about 15% of people do clear the virus on their own. -dz-

Back when they tested for the hcv they were elevated not just on one test but two. He had a bacteria called H Pylori in the stomach. And it was causing him such heartburn and pain so he went to the doctors even wondering if it was his heart. At that time the liver enzymes were elevated. Once he treated the H pylori the liver enzymes have leveled off

to near normal. But because they were elevated then they tested him.. he was positive for the antibody. Does that make more sense?

Re: [ ] Hello> Without ALL the tests, how can they know?>> Sharon>>> __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

I don't doubt that the tattoo is the cause. They say that approx. 20% of people with the virus have no idea how they got it, so I guess you can never really be sure. I have a pretty good idea, but also I'm not sure. -dz-

He has had zero risk factors except for the tattoo. He was not an IV drug user did not have transufsions etc. He is in a mannogamous relationship in the confines of marriage . So ... in the ways that one comes in contact the tattos were about it. Unless there are other ways not discussed between him and the doctors.

Guest guest

Well I plan to draw special attention to this post with Greg and ... they are out house shopping nearly every night. Makes sense to me. He needs those tests done thats for sure. Re: [ ] Hello> Without ALL the tests, how can they know?>> Sharon>>> __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

Egads!!!--You're stuck with an HMO?????

I feel very fortunate to have good ins thru Ken

although I DID have a Dr that I actually Had threaten to get

him to order my genotype & viral load tests for me...He tried telling

that by having these tests fone I

'd cause evryone's ins. rates to go up

I needless to say wond that 'battle' He finally got exasperated

& wrote out the documents requesting these tests.....Actually I'd about

given up arguing with him -when he gave in!!!! I don't have this

Dr anymore --I fired him --a few months later --as he wouldn't play 'quarterback'

for my liver/gastro Dr.

So our ins. medical advisor found me this local Dr only about

25 miles from our house but he uses a different hospital than we

do....so whenever I get 'real sick' we end up making the drive to

the 'better' hospital- that my liver doc uses..as whenever something lousey

happens- it's better to be where he practices- as it it's usually something

concerning my liver anyway!!

Take Care Everyone!!!

arlene

imaganeer wrote:

I did talk to my dr about that. He admitted that they do discourage

drs from the more expensive tests/drugs, etc. They have guidelines that

must be met before they allow certain procedures. It ticks me off when

the dr prescribe one med and the hmo says, no you can only have this. -dz-

<ralexan@...> wrote:

Hi

It sounds like you might be right

about the HMO sparing expense. They don't mind taking your money, but sure

don't want to let any of it go. HMO stands for Hand The Money Over.

Re: [ ]

Hello

You got that right! Even though I thought I had a very competent

dr in the end. He took some time right at the beginning and we talked about

this disease, the treatment, etc. but that was about it. Unfortunately

the dr's don't seem to have the time to spend with individual patients,

they come in, do their thing and they're out of there. Thank God for the

internet. Though you have to be careful not to believe everything out here,

at least you can believe other people who have been through this.

-dz-

Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote:

If

you don't get educated about it, you'll never

understand. I find that this and the other group I'm

in have been a Godsend, because people understand.

Sharon

--- WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote:

> Yup..... Greg makes it to the end of his work day

> 3/4ths in a fog and half dazed with fatigue by the

> time his work day is over. He was making a huge

> mistake for awhile. He was so tired he was slamming

> high protein drinks and protein bars trying to find

> that energy..... big mistake.... its a wonder he

> could find his way home. Seems the common

> interpretation by most is geez he is getting lazy

> and irresponsible and even though inside he really

> does know how hard hes worked and his job is

> really physical and manly man stuff and he should

> be able to work hard and play just as hard end

> result his self esteem has plummeted into the

> toilet..... and to him to say hey Im tired is just

> inexcuseable. I just got on his brother hard core.

> Moms can lecture whoo hoo you better believe

it

> when they are on a roll. For a while there on

> Friday nights they were toget off work and pack up

> and go 2 hours up to the mountains where his brother

> and his wife and kids live so they all could

> snowboard and ski all weekend. Well they'd get up

> there late as it takes Greg and a while at

> the end of the work week to get things going to get

> up there. His need to spend time with his bro and

> wife and have some family fun was writing checks

> his body couldn't cash. Which in turn meant that

> his brother and wife are up there thinking whats

> wrong those lazy bums get off your duffers and get

> up here. I told his brother they need to educate

> themselves about this and get off his rear before

> dealing with me requires more effort than they want

> to deal with!!! We have a rather complicated family

> Greg and his only brother ...... married sisters.

> Well I won't go into the rest of this...... but

> suffice it to say Gregs reputation for lazy due to

> the fatigue is superceding his ability to give a

> hoot at times. He catches it from all possible

> directions. I think his wife is starting to really

> see this now too. And maybe between the two of us

> we can hope to get some attitudes corrected. Sure

> hope so cause if Greg is depressed that would be

> why.

>

Guest guest

MIne started out with 'high ensymes' & they thought it was nothig to

worry about@ that time....then a few months (maybe) 6 months I had a biopsy

done & my liver was found to be inflamed --actually I was inflamed

from the esophagus all the way down

Then about 8-9 yrs later I was told I now had cirrhosis -- that's what

it finally took to make me 'see the light' & put the 'brakes on' if

I wanted to save my live & live a few more years>>>>> From that /dr

visit up to the present time I've had not one drop of booze........actuall

found it wanst't at all hard to quit & I never 'craved' it either

Just now wish I never would've drank @ all.....But then I'd still have

this virus - as I got it from a transfusion years ago

But I most likely wouldn't have gotten the cirrhosis if I'd quit torturing

my system with all that 'booze' back then!!

Oh Well!!!!! When I can I possibly say --except for I had a great time

& lots of good memories(for now)

arlene

imaganeer wrote:

If you accept that the condition of the liver is the main concern, then

the PCR is not the greatest thing to tell, but neither are the enzyme counts.

Only a biopsy will tell how the liver is faring, at least as far as I have

been able to tell. -dz-

Its

been more than 3 months and he won't be tested till July. I supposewe

should wait till July see what they say but they actually told him theviral

load count was not the important indicator. I think thats what they

saidHow can that be? That the liver enzymes are. From everything

I read herethat is not so. They have not even ran the test to determin

the viral load

> Without ALL the tests, how can they know?

>

> Sharon

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

Liver are in very high demand for transplanting due to HepC

& unfortunately there are very few to be had--as there still aren't

enough people signing up to give these precious organs- which are of absolutely

no good to the deceased person..I now I had been signed up to be a donor

- if I would've died earlier on - before I got the virus---Anyone can can

donor due to the plausibility Of giving the virus with any other of my

organs -I have good lungs-heart-hearing-- actually anything BUT my

liver -also my kidneys- while they're good ones -I have 3 major veins passing

thru each of them & most people only have 2 veins(upper &

a lower) If I could give someone a chance to be able to see-hear-breathe

& have a very low-pressure/low cholesterol heart

arlene

imaganeer wrote:

The opposite is really true. The younger the patient and the less advanced

the disease is, the better the chance for successful treatment. Successful

treatment may be the only way to avoid the necessity of a transplant. We

really have a lot of ignorance to fight in getting this taken care of.

What they are saying may be true of transplants. When treatment fails or

is not possible then transplant becomes the best option when the disease

has progressed to it's late stages. Then you have to hope there is a donor

available. -dz-

I

would say that is true except at this class they kept stressing the cost

of treatment and I am not sure how many liver transplants they even

consider doing. They kepts saying treatment is only for those who

are very sick with it. I am not sure I agree. If the virus

is left alive and kicking .... won't it do its damage eventually.

Why not do it when there is little damage instead of so much. Just

a thought. I am sure I just don't like the idea of some virus in

my son.

Hello

-dz-

If

Sharon

it

> why.

>

Guest guest

Hi Arlene

I checked in to organ donation and found out that we can be donors. Seems some people with Hepc are willing to accept a liver that is infected but in better shape than theirs. As for the other organs they are evaluated at the time of harvesting. We can't donate tissue such as corneas, skin, or bone.

Re: [ ] Hello You got that right! Even though I thought I had a very competent dr in the end. He took some time right at the beginning and we talked about this disease, the treatment, etc. but that was about it. Unfortunately the dr's don't seem to have the time to spend with individual patients, they come in, do their thing and they're out of there. Thank God for the internet. Though you have to be careful not to believe everything out here, at least you can believe other people who have been through this. -dz- Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: If you don't get educated about it, you'll never understand. I find that this and the other group I'm in have been a Godsend, because people understand. Sharon --- WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...> wrote: > Yup..... Greg makes it to the end of his work day > 3/4ths in a fog and half dazed with fatigue by the > time his work day is over. He was making a huge > mistake for awhile. He was so tired he was slamming > high protein drinks and protein bars trying to find > that energy..... big mistake.... its a wonder he > could find his way home. Seems the common > interpretation by most is geez he is getting lazy > and irresponsible and even though inside he really > does know how hard hes worked and his job is > really physical and manly man stuff and he should > be able to work hard and play just as hard end > result his self esteem has plummeted into the > toilet..... and to him to say hey Im tired is just > inexcuseable. I just got on his brother hard core. > Moms can lecture whoo hoo you better believe it > when they are on a roll. For a while there on > Friday nights they were toget off work and pack up > and go 2 hours up to the mountains where his brother > and his wife and kids live so they all could > snowboard and ski all weekend. Well they'd get up > there late as it takes Greg and a while at > the end of the work week to get things going to get > up there. His need to spend time with his bro and > wife and have some family fun was writing checks > his body couldn't cash. Which in turn meant that > his brother and wife are up there thinking whats > wrong those lazy bums get off your duffers and get > up here. I told his brother they need to educate > themselves about this and get off his rear before > dealing with me requires more effort than they want > to deal with!!! We have a rather complicated family > Greg and his only brother ...... married sisters. > Well I won't go into the rest of this...... but > suffice it to say Gregs reputation for lazy due to > the fatigue is superceding his ability to give a > hoot at times. He catches it from all possible > directions. I think his wife is starting to really > see this now too. And maybe between the two of us > we can hope to get some attitudes corrected. Sure > hope so cause if Greg is depressed that would be > why. > __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Hi Arlene ~

You bring up a point that I've not heard addressed here so far -- the effects

of alcohol on our livers. Is alcohol a factor for many people? I myself

am a recovering alcoholic (15 years), but I spent plenty of years drinking

to excess on a daily basis. Surprisingly, when I had a biopsy in February,

there was no cirrhosis. Does alcohol consumption always have an effect or

is it sort of 'luck of the draw'?

Wondering,

Beth

ACE wrote:

MIne

started out with 'high ensymes' & they thought it was nothig to worry

about@ that time....then a few months (maybe) 6 months I had a biopsy done

& my liver was found to be inflamed --actually I was inflamed from the

esophagus all the way down

Then about 8-9 yrs later I was told I now had cirrhosis -- that's what it

finally took to make me 'see the light' & put the 'brakes on' if I wanted

to save my live & live a few more years>>>>> From that

/dr visit up to the present time I've had not one drop of booze........actuall found it wanst't at all hard to quit & I never 'craved' it either

Just now wish I never would've drank @ all.....But then I'd still have this

virus - as I got it from a transfusion years ago

But I most likely wouldn't have gotten the cirrhosis if I'd quit torturing my system with all that 'booze' back then!!

Oh Well!!!!! When I can I possibly say --except for I had a great time &

lots of good memories(for now)

arlene imaganeer wrote:

If you accept that the condition of the liver is the main concern,

then the PCR is not the greatest thing to tell, but neither are the enzyme

counts. Only a biopsy will tell how the liver is faring, at least as far

as I have been able to tell. -dz-

Its been more than 3 months and he won't be tested till July. I supposewe should wait till July see what they say but they actually told him theviral load count was not the important indicator. I think thats what they saidHow

can that be? That the liver enzymes are. From everything I read herethat

is not so. They have not even ran the test to determin the viral load

>

> Sharon

>

>

>

Guest guest

<P> & nbsp;<FONT face= " Times New Roman " color=darkred

size=4><STRONG><EM> & nbsp; & nbsp; Hi

Beth</EM></STRONG></FONT>

<P><FONT face= " Times New Roman " color=darkred

size=4><STRONG><EM> & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; I

thank that drinking alcohol to excess, sooner or later

is going to take it's toll on the liver. It just takes

longer for some. It's like this hep c. I was talking

to a man at my church, Both of us contacted hep

c & nbsp;the same year " blood transfusion's " . I have

heavy scaring on the liver but no cirrhoisis & amp;

treatment is working so far. But Joe already

has & nbsp;cirrhosis. All he can do is wait till he can

be put on a transplant list & amp; hope he get's one.

Both Joe & amp; I were never was heavy drinker's, I was

only drunk once. </EM></STRONG></FONT>

<P><FONT face= " Times New Roman " color=darkred

size=4><STRONG><EM> & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp;

Terry</EM></STRONG></FONT>

<P> & nbsp; <B><I>Beth Kern

& lt;bbbkern@... & gt;</I></B> wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE style= " PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT:

5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid " >Hi Arlene

~<BR><BR>You bring up a point that I've not heard

addressed here so far -- the effects of alcohol on our

livers. & nbsp;Is alcohol a factor for many people?

& nbsp;I myself am a recovering alcoholic (15 years),

but I spent plenty of years drinking to excess on a

daily basis. & nbsp;Surprisingly, when I had a biopsy

in February, there was no cirrhosis. & nbsp;Does

alcohol consumption always have an effect or is it

sort of 'luck of the

draw'?<BR><BR>Wondering,<BR>Beth<BR><BR><BR>ACE

wrote:<BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE cite=mid:3CDE23CA.647A779C@...

type= " cite " >MIne started out with 'high ensymes' & amp;

they thought it was nothig to worry about@ that

time....then a few months (maybe) 6 months I had a

biopsy done & amp; my liver was found to be inflamed

--actually I was inflamed from the esophagus all the

way down <BR>Then about 8-9 yrs later I was told I now

had cirrhosis -- that's what it finally took to make

me 'see the light' & amp; put the 'brakes on' if I

wanted to save my live & amp; live a few more

years & gt; & gt; & gt; & gt; & gt; From that /dr visit up to

the present time I've had not one drop of

booze........actuall found it wanst't at all hard to

quit & amp; I never 'craved' it either <BR>Just now

wish I never would've drank @ all.....But then I'd

still have this virus - as I got it from a transfusion

years ago <BR>But I most likely wouldn't have gotten

the cirrhosis if I'd quit torturing my system with all

that 'booze' back then!! <BR>Oh Well!!!!! When I can I

possibly say --except for I had a great time & amp;

lots of good memories(for now) <BR>arlene

<P>imaganeer wrote: </P>

<BLOCKQUOTE type= " CITE " > & nbsp;

<P>If you accept that the condition of the liver is

the main concern, then the PCR is not the greatest

thing to tell, but neither are the enzyme counts. Only

a biopsy will tell how the liver is faring, at least

as far as I have been able to tell. & nbsp; & nbsp; -dz-

</P>

<P> & nbsp; <B><I>WILLIAM A WALTKE <A

class=moz-txt-link-rfc2396E

href= " mailto:kbwaltke@... " > & lt;kbwaltke@... & gt;</A></I></B>

wrote: </P>

<BLOCKQUOTE style= " PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT:

5px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(16,16,255) 2px solid " >Its been

more than 3 months and he won't be tested till

July. & nbsp; I supposewe should wait till July see what

they say but they actually told him theviral load

count was not the important indicator. & nbsp; I think

thats what they saidHow can that be? & nbsp; That the

liver enzymes are. & nbsp; From everything I read

herethat is not so. & nbsp; They have not even ran the

test to determin the viral load & nbsp;

<BLOCKQUOTE style= " PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT:

5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(0,0,0) 2px

solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px " >

<DIV style= " FONT: 10pt Arial; font-stretch: normal;

font-size-adjust: none " > Re:

[ ] Hello</TT><BR> & nbsp; </P>

<P><TT> & gt; Without ALL the tests, how can they

know?</TT><BR><TT> & gt;</TT><BR><TT> & gt; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp\

; & nbsp;

Sharon</TT><BR><TT> & gt;</TT><BR><TT> & gt;</TT><BR><TT> & gt;

__________________________________________________</TT><BR><TT> & gt;

Guest guest

terry & anyone else asking about the high ensymesLFT's --cirrhosis factor--- and

viral loads::

I've never had a very high viral load-- always has been less than 300,000---not

like some who have viral loads in the millions-----------------but I DO have the

cirrhosis--go

figure???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

arlene

Terry Long wrote:

> <P> & nbsp;<FONT face= " Times New Roman " color=darkred

> size=4><STRONG><EM> & nbsp; & nbsp; Hi

> Beth</EM></STRONG></FONT>

> <P><FONT face= " Times New Roman " color=darkred

> size=4><STRONG><EM> & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; I

> thank that drinking alcohol to excess, sooner or later

> is going to take it's toll on the liver. It just takes

> longer for some. It's like this hep c. I was talking

> to a man at my church, Both of us contacted hep

> c & nbsp;the same year " blood transfusion's " . I have

> heavy scaring on the liver but no cirrhoisis & amp;

> treatment is working so far. But Joe already

> has & nbsp;cirrhosis. All he can do is wait till he can

> be put on a transplant list & amp; hope he get's one.

> Both Joe & amp; I were never was heavy drinker's, I was

> only drunk once. </EM></STRONG></FONT>

> <P><FONT face= " Times New Roman " color=darkred

> size=4><STRONG><EM> & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp;

> Terry</EM></STRONG></FONT>

> <P> & nbsp; <B><I>Beth Kern

> & lt;bbbkern@... & gt;</I></B> wrote:

> <BLOCKQUOTE style= " PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT:

> 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid " >Hi Arlene

> ~<BR><BR>You bring up a point that I've not heard

> addressed here so far -- the effects of alcohol on our

> livers. & nbsp;Is alcohol a factor for many people?

> & nbsp;I myself am a recovering alcoholic (15 years),

> but I spent plenty of years drinking to excess on a

> daily basis. & nbsp;Surprisingly, when I had a biopsy

> in February, there was no cirrhosis. & nbsp;Does

> alcohol consumption always have an effect or is it

> sort of 'luck of the

> draw'?<BR><BR>Wondering,<BR>Beth<BR><BR><BR>ACE

> wrote:<BR>

> <BLOCKQUOTE cite=mid:3CDE23CA.647A779C@...

> type= " cite " >MIne started out with 'high ensymes' & amp;

> they thought it was nothig to worry about@ that

> time....then a few months (maybe) 6 months I had a

> biopsy done & amp; my liver was found to be inflamed

> --actually I was inflamed from the esophagus all the

> way down <BR>Then about 8-9 yrs later I was told I now

> had cirrhosis -- that's what it finally took to make

> me 'see the light' & amp; put the 'brakes on' if I

> wanted to save my live & amp; live a few more

> years & gt; & gt; & gt; & gt; & gt; From that /dr visit up to

> the present time I've had not one drop of

> booze........actuall found it wanst't at all hard to

> quit & amp; I never 'craved' it either <BR>Just now

> wish I never would've drank @ all.....But then I'd

> still have this virus - as I got it from a transfusion

> years ago <BR>But I most likely wouldn't have gotten

> the cirrhosis if I'd quit torturing my system with all

> that 'booze' back then!! <BR>Oh Well!!!!! When I can I

> possibly say --except for I had a great time & amp;

> lots of good memories(for now) <BR>arlene

> <P>imaganeer wrote: </P>

> <BLOCKQUOTE type= " CITE " > & nbsp;

> <P>If you accept that the condition of the liver is

> the main concern, then the PCR is not the greatest

> thing to tell, but neither are the enzyme counts. Only

> a biopsy will tell how the liver is faring, at least

> as far as I have been able to tell. & nbsp; & nbsp; -dz-

> </P>

> <P> & nbsp; <B><I>WILLIAM A WALTKE <A

> class=moz-txt-link-rfc2396E

> href= " mailto:kbwaltke@... " > & lt;kbwaltke@... & gt;</A></I></B>

> wrote: </P>

> <BLOCKQUOTE style= " PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT:

> 5px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(16,16,255) 2px solid " >Its been

> more than 3 months and he won't be tested till

> July. & nbsp; I supposewe should wait till July see what

> they say but they actually told him theviral load

> count was not the important indicator. & nbsp; I think

> thats what they saidHow can that be? & nbsp; That the

> liver enzymes are. & nbsp; From everything I read

> herethat is not so. & nbsp; They have not even ran the

> test to determin the viral load & nbsp;

> <BLOCKQUOTE style= " PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT:

> 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(0,0,0) 2px

> solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px " >

> <DIV style= " FONT: 10pt Arial; font-stretch: normal;

> font-size-adjust: none " > Re:

> [ ] Hello</TT><BR> & nbsp; </P>

> <P><TT> & gt; Without ALL the tests, how can they

>

know?</TT><BR><TT> & gt;</TT><BR><TT> & gt; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp\

; & nbsp;

> Sharon</TT><BR><TT> & gt;</TT><BR><TT> & gt;</TT><BR><TT> & gt;

> __________________________________________________</TT><BR><TT> & gt;

>

Guest guest

Hi Beth--- Dr's say alcohol is VERY harmful to the liver even without having

HepC-- it's kinda like adding fuel to the fire..............But then I

would also agree "it's kinda the Luck of the Draw!!! I only social

drank for a few years like maybe 10 -15 yrs. But the last 1-1/2 years

I was drinking almost on a daily basis..............my problem---I was

always very shy & quiet...til I got to really know someone (somewhat

of a loner--I guess?!) But when I drank I wasn't soooooooooo shy

any longer...LOL... just friendly0- but not on a sex either if you know

what I mean... just loved to laugh & crack jokes--like the 'life of

the party' type..............but always had come-ons but turned them

down as I wasn't interested in getting to know someone THAT well!!

So I gues my answer would have to be both luck(bad) & ignoring

what I was doing to my system

Thanks for asking Beth

Take Care

arlene

Beth Kern wrote:

Hi Arlene ~

You bring up a point that I've not heard addressed here so far -- the

effects of alcohol on our livers. Is alcohol a factor for many people?

I myself am a recovering alcoholic (15 years), but I spent plenty of years

drinking to excess on a daily basis. Surprisingly, when I had a biopsy

in February, there was no cirrhosis. Does alcohol consumption always

have an effect or is it sort of 'luck of the draw'?

Wondering,

Beth

ACE wrote:

MIne

started out with 'high ensymes' & they thought it was nothig to worry

about@ that time....then a few months (maybe) 6 months I had a biopsy done

& my liver was found to be inflamed --actually I was inflamed from

the esophagus all the way down

Then about 8-9 yrs later I was told I now had cirrhosis -- that's what

it finally took to make me 'see the light' & put the 'brakes on' if

I wanted to save my live & live a few more years>>>>> From that /dr

visit up to the present time I've had not one drop of booze........actuall

found it wanst't at all hard to quit & I never 'craved' it either

Just now wish I never would've drank @ all.....But then I'd still have

this virus - as I got it from a transfusion years ago

But I most likely wouldn't have gotten the cirrhosis if I'd quit torturing

my system with all that 'booze' back then!!

Oh Well!!!!! When I can I possibly say --except for I had a great time

& lots of good memories(for now)

arlene

imaganeer wrote:

If you accept that the condition of the liver is the main concern, then

the PCR is not the greatest thing to tell, but neither are the enzyme counts.

Only a biopsy will tell how the liver is faring, at least as far as I have

been able to tell. -dz-

WILLIAM A WALTKE <kbwaltke@...>

wrote:

Its

been more than 3 months and he won't be tested till July. I supposewe

should wait till July see what they say but they actually told him theviral

load count was not the important indicator. I think thats what they

saidHow can that be? That the liver enzymes are. From everything

I read herethat is not so. They have not even ran the test to determin

the viral load

-----

Original Message -----

Sent:

Saturday, May 04, 2002 7:25 AM

To:

Subject:

I don't really know. My original GI dr. had me wait awhile to

see if I would

clear the virus myself. If I remember right I waited about 3 months

and was

retested. Waited another 3 months for approval from my insurance

company for

treatment. Had my biopsy and retested again. Then started treatment.

This

all took around 6 or 7 months.

I agree that the sooner treatment is started the better chance for

recovery.

I was very impatient to start treatment right away. Unlike a lot

of Dr. mine

was very knowledgeable about hepc. He isn't a transplant surgeon

but has

been on a transplant team several time.

>

> Sharon

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi -I knew of being able to donate as I was told "i may get hepC

liver -but one not as bad as mine

I would really have liked to donate my eyes to someone who has had

no sight.. my heart now has a murmur(from the Hep) but I've always had

low blood pressure & no cholesterol problems--most doctors have told

me they wished they had my heart<g>LOL...and I have abnormal kidneys

-so that's out too unfortunately--I'll have to check into the donor program

once again..............as I'm sure things have changed for the better

with new knowledge of our dragon... maybe I CAN still give someone my heart--I

just hate to have them get this awful virus!!! I had been turned

dowen as a possible donor about 5 years ago..................soooo Like

I said I'll have to check into it again!!

Thanks again !!!!!!!!

arlene

wrote:

Hi

Arlene I checked in

to organ donation and found out that we can be donors. Seems some people

with Hepc are willing to accept a liver that is infected but in better

shape than theirs. As for the other organs they are evaluated at the time

of harvesting. We can't donate tissue such as corneas, skin, or bone.

Hello

-dz-

If

Sharon

it

> why.

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Alice

Wecome to our group. My name is Terry, my wife & I live in southern Az just outside of Phoenix transplanted from Columbia Mo. I also have type 3A hep c. I also have Neurofibromatosis. I have been on my treatment for the hep c seance January. It depends on the week how my shot affects me. Some weeks I feel down for just one day, some weeks I feel down for two or three days after my shot. On some weeks I am just fine the day after my shot. But I am tired 24/7. About all I have been doing seance January is work at my job & rest.

Good luck on our treatment. You have found a very supportive group. If you didn't know it 3's are the most responve to treatment. I have been on the treatment for almost five monthes, after three monthes there was no longer any hep C detected in my blood.

We will be keeping you in our prayers

Terry

Alice <alley0909@...> wrote:

Hi, I have type 3a hep.C. I am wanting to talk to someone who has other medical condition, I have Multiple Sclerosis. I interferon & pills are really hitting me hard for about four days after the shot.

Alice

Guest guest

Jackie sounds like you & are doing just fine. You are right about taking time to seting up Dr & lab apointments. They told me in May last year about have Hep C & it took untill January to start treatment.

Hang in there you guys wii get through this & will become a Dragon Slayer. We will be keeping you in our prayers

Terry

bluesparkling_angel <bluesparkling_angel@...> wrote: Havent posted in a week here, dont feel like there is much to say sometimes.This eternal waiting and finding patience is taking its toll on me especially, has the patience of a saint and he is holding his own much better then I.It seems to take forever to get appointments for things, but I suppose everyone is in the same boat waiting forever for things to happen.We havent even got a gastro appointment yet, just the ultra sound in july so it will be a long wait till finally something will be done, but in one way that is good cause it gives robert time. He has not drank a drop in a month, so so proud of him and he doesnt seem to be having any trouble, thank goodness for N/A beer too, the time also helps with his depression, the anti depressants are finally kicking in but he still has his moments, which he cannot be blamed for at all.I feel very bad sometimes , because I am also in therapy trying to recover from PTSD and depression , and I know he is so concerned about me and then I feel like I am making it worse on him, its like a circle sometimes I guessAh well, I guess this is my weekly update here, hope everyone is ok , my thoughts and prayers are with you allluv n much respectjackie

Guest guest

Hi Alice

Welcome to the group. The side effects can be pretty hard to cope with for most people. the first few weeks of treatment are the hardest, but usually get somewhat better as time goes on. I suffered from severe fatigue the whole time, but was able to hold down a full time job without missing any work.

Luckily I don't have any other debilitating medical problems to compound the problem. All I can do is say hang in there and keep you in my prayers.

[ ] Hello

Hi, I have type 3a hep.C. I am wanting to talk to someone who has other medical condition, I have Multiple Sclerosis. I interferon & pills are really hitting me hard for about four days after the shot.

Alice

Guest guest

Hi Jackie

Good to hear from you.

It's good that has stopped drinking. It will give the anti

depressants a chance to work like they are supposed to.

[ ] hello

> Havent posted in a week here, dont feel like there is much to say

> sometimes.

>

> This eternal waiting and finding patience is taking its toll on me

> especially, has the patience of a saint and he is holding his

> own much better then I.

>

> It seems to take forever to get appointments for things, but I

> suppose everyone is in the same boat waiting forever for things to

> happen.

>

> We havent even got a gastro appointment yet, just the ultra sound in

> july so it will be a long wait till finally something will be done,

> but in one way that is good cause it gives robert time. He has not

> drank a drop in a month, so so proud of him and he doesnt seem to be

> having any trouble, thank goodness for N/A beer too, the time also

> helps

> with his depression, the anti depressants are finally kicking in but

> he still has his moments, which he cannot be blamed for at all.

>

> I feel very bad sometimes , because I am also in therapy trying to

> recover from PTSD and depression , and I know he is so concerned

> about me and then I feel like I am making it worse on him, its like a

> circle sometimes I guess

>

> Ah well, I guess this is my weekly update here, hope everyone is ok ,

> my thoughts and prayers are with you all

>

> luv n much respect

>

> jackie

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Alice, welcome to the group. I am also on therapy.

I'm on week 29 and I too am beating the dragon. I am a

genotype 2b and undetectable after 6 months. I've had

many different side effects. The worst being severe

headaches and fatigue. The headaches have improved

with drinking tons of water. The fatigue became very

extreme. They recently tested my thyroid (it can be

suppressed by treatment) and put me on Synthroid and

the fatigue is MUCH better. I am very lucky although I

have found the side effects come and go. If you have

any questions or want a place to vent or whine or

laugh, this is the place.

Sharon

Guest guest

Consider his concern for you as a way to keep his

mind off his problems. Sounds like he's doing pretty

good. I must say this disease will teach you many

things and patience is one of them.

Good luck to you both.

Sharon

--- bluesparkling_angel <bluesparkling_angel@...>

wrote:

> Havent posted in a week here, dont feel like there

> is much to say

> sometimes.

>

> This eternal waiting and finding patience is taking

> its toll on me

> especially, has the patience of a saint and

> he is holding his

> own much better then I.

>

> It seems to take forever to get appointments for

> things, but I

> suppose everyone is in the same boat waiting forever

> for things to

> happen.

>

> We havent even got a gastro appointment yet, just

> the ultra sound in

> july so it will be a long wait till finally

> something will be done,

> but in one way that is good cause it gives robert

> time. He has not

> drank a drop in a month, so so proud of him and he

> doesnt seem to be

> having any trouble, thank goodness for N/A beer too,

> the time also

> helps

> with his depression, the anti depressants are

> finally kicking in but

> he still has his moments, which he cannot be blamed

> for at all.

>

> I feel very bad sometimes , because I am also in

> therapy trying to

> recover from PTSD and depression , and I know he is

> so concerned

> about me and then I feel like I am making it worse

> on him, its like a

> circle sometimes I guess

>

> Ah well, I guess this is my weekly update here, hope

> everyone is ok ,

> my thoughts and prayers are with you all

>

> luv n much respect

>

> jackie

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hello Alice and welcome to the grup..As you will see there are alot of us in here with more illnesses..I hope they can help you also..My name is Jan and I am from Louisiana..I have Hep C and am fixing to get back on treatment again for my Hep..I do understand the tirdness.