RemedySpot.com

Risperdal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It is a very effective medication, but one that we refer to as "the fat pill" as my daughter packed on 45 pounds (starting in the first grade)~ In the same class but without all the side effects is Abilify and that is what Hope takes (she is 5).sunrose101@... wrote: If this has been posted before, I didn't see it. This sounds like scary stuff, possibly causing breast milk??? What must be in it? A new drug for autism, and a new debateBY ELLEN MITCHELL Special to Newsday Posted November 7 2006 E-mail story Print story Most e-mailed News on your cell RSS news feeds MOST E-MAILED(last 24 hours)A great teacher never strives to explain his vision - he simply invites you to stand beside him and see for yourself.... The Rev. R. Inman Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them - Lady Bird Treat a child as though he already is the person he's capable of becoming - Haim Gnott

Everyone is raving about the all-new beta.

• 1 month later...

I guess it all depends on what the meaning of "da bomb" is.

Risperdal

Hey Guys,Anyone belong to autism-awareness? Somebody posted a question about using Risperdal a few days ago. I posted some stuff about side effects, NAA's postion paper and an article written by a mother who had her kid on it and it was not a good experience, he developed Tardive Dekenisis (sp?).Anyways, I'm getting kind of bashed by a couple Mom's who think Risperdal is the bomb. Considering todays' Zyprexa NYT's article and the Texas Risperdal lawsuit I just thought if anybody was interested in what is being discussed.Really it's a crazy discussion. But, I always think about those people on the fence who might try something else less dangerous like diet/ supplements etc.. before resorting to these dangerous drugs.Thanks,

My friends 8 year old son became morbidly obese and developed breasts which started lactating...... yeah.... Da BOMB!!  Where can we sign up??On Dec 17, 2006, at 10:08 AM, HC wrote: I guess it all depends on what the meaning of "da bomb" is.  

, I think diets/supps/behavior mods should be used before any

drug. That said, I know 2 kids who SIGNIFICANTLY improved with

respirdal. One kid was like a caged animal when he came into church.

It as pitiful. He would walk into the room clawing at the carpet with

his fingers, throwing things, peeing on himself, etc. I worked with

him every chance I got and the mom was trying stuff, too, but I don't

know how much. I walked into the classroom a few months later and he

was sitting there, laughing with the teacher, building a model with

kinex or something like that. He was a different child. I cornered the

mom and asked what it was, she said respirdal had been his miracle drug.

Another child I met while on it. The mother began after trying the

diet and some other stuff, again, I don't know to what detail. They

tried it when their daughter got to the point of only sleeping 1 hr

for every 24. She was hitting her sisters, pulling out her mother's

hair, etc. She seemed to be a delightful child when I met her, though

still low functioning, and somewhat overweight. The mother read about

all the side effects and began to slowly wean her off it. They got all

the way off and all the old symptoms returned. After the mom and the

siblings were beat by the child for a week, she gave up and put her

back on it. The child became rational again.

I'm sure kids are overmedicated, no doubt. But to make a blanket

statement about any drug for the sake of the anti-drug kid religion,

is just as much a mistake as the vaccine religion. You in your

situation have no idea what every child is like, just as I have no

idea. Sure, there are side effects. There's also side effects to

losing your kids because your child with autism was beating the crap

out of everyone, and there's side effects to your child never having

an opportunity to participate in this world because his nervous system

is too messed up.

As I type this I'm working on a few hrs sleep because my husband and I

were up crying most of the night over our daughter and her spiral

downward since stopping ssri back in sept. I can tell you one thing,

the issue of whether or not to medicate is certainly not based off

some feel-good ideal of being able to say I don't medicate my child.

It's more about what my child needs and what will give her the best

shot at life. If she's laying in a fetal position in her bed all day

long, scratching at her wrists like she's trying to slit them when

we're out in public, I think side effects of medications become more

of a context issue.

Debi

>

> Hey Guys,

>

> Anyone belong to autism-awareness? Somebody posted a question

> about using Risperdal a few days ago. I posted some stuff about side

> effects, NAA's postion paper and an article written by a mother who

> had her kid on it and it was not a good experience, he developed

> Tardive Dekenisis (sp?).

>

> Anyways, I'm getting kind of bashed by a couple Mom's who think

> Risperdal is the bomb. Considering todays' Zyprexa NYT's article and

> the Texas Risperdal lawsuit I just thought if anybody was interested

> in what is being discussed.

>

> Really it's a crazy discussion.

>

> But, I always think about those people on the fence who might try

> something else less dangerous like diet/ supplements etc.. before

> resorting to these dangerous drugs.

>

> Thanks,

>

>

Debi,

I was bashed for putting that information on the group. I'm sorry but

pretending those side effects, that mother's personal account and

ignoring the NAA statement don't exist, doesn't make those things not

real.

There were two mothers saying things like " Isn't it wonderful " and

another mother saying to just " try it " to the mother who wanted

information. I was bashed for not being supportive and judging for

merely posting information that highlighted the downside of

Risperdal. I only forwarded those pices of information. Sorry it's

reality. I wasn't saying anything other than what I orignally posted

(purely information) and then trying to defend myself for posting

information I didn't generate, or make up, it's on the internet for

anyone to read. I can't understand why a person would only want to

know the " good " things a drug could do, and not want to hear the bad.

Sorry, I don't work that way. I would be more interested in what

could go wrong than what might go right. I don't know, maybe I have a

problem trusting meds/doctors since my kid withdrew from the world

after his 12 month vaccines.

Great that those kids improved, everybody has to do what is best for

their own kid. It still doesn't mean those kids will not possibly

suffer ill health from those meds. Maybe a parent would rather a

child be obese and develop diabetes, but docile, I don't know the

answer for anyone else. I didn't feel that the information was

balanced for the parent who was asking. " It's wonderful " and " try it "

didn't seem like enough information to make that kind of decision.

I'm sorry to hear you daughter is not doing well. I can relate. My

son has been on a downhill slide for about a year and a half since we

moved. He would be a perfect candidate for Risperdal, he has been

prescribed that in the past. I choose not to use it unless a drastic

emegency, never daily. That is my choice, for right now. So please

don't think I dont know what it is like to deal with an aggressive,

violent, out of control kid, I do.

I hope things improve for your daughter, I'll be thinking of you and

her.

While being open is perhaps the best policy, surely researching the meds is also the best policy. One should do what works. That noted, we have been burned and trust is an extremely scarce commodity- for good reason.

Re: Risperdal

Debi,I was bashed for putting that information on the group. I'm sorry but pretending those side effects, that mother's personal account and ignoring the NAA statement don't exist, doesn't make those things not real. There were two mothers saying things like "Isn't it wonderful" and another mother saying to just "try it" to the mother who wanted information. I was bashed for not being supportive and judging for merely posting information that highlighted the downside of Risperdal. I only forwarded those pices of information. Sorry it's reality. I wasn't saying anything other than what I orignally posted (purely information) and then trying to defend myself for posting information I didn't generate, or make up, it's on the internet for anyone to read. I can't understand why a person would only want to know the "good" things a drug could do, and not want to hear the bad. Sorry, I don't work that way. I would be more interested in what could go wrong than what might go right. I don't know, maybe I have a problem trusting meds/doctors since my kid withdrew from the world after his 12 month vaccines.Great that those kids improved, everybody has to do what is best for their own kid. It still doesn't mean those kids will not possibly suffer ill health from those meds. Maybe a parent would rather a child be obese and develop diabetes, but docile, I don't know the answer for anyone else. I didn't feel that the information was balanced for the parent who was asking. "It's wonderful" and "try it" didn't seem like enough information to make that kind of decision.I'm sorry to hear you daughter is not doing well. I can relate. My son has been on a downhill slide for about a year and a half since we moved. He would be a perfect candidate for Risperdal, he has been prescribed that in the past. I choose not to use it unless a drastic emegency, never daily. That is my choice, for right now. So please don't think I dont know what it is like to deal with an aggressive, violent, out of control kid, I do.I hope things improve for your daughter, I'll be thinking of you and her.

, I think diets/supps/behavior mods should be used before any drug. That said, I know 2 kids who SIGNIFICANTLY improved with respirdal.

QUESTION! Did these kids improve or did the risperdal just mask the problem? Do these drugs really help improve the quality of their lives if as a result of the medication they end up committing suicide or dying of kidney failure before they are reach 25?

Instead of finding the "right miracal" drug, more time should be spent on finding out what triggers the negative behaviors that manifest when the drugs aren't used. It could be sounds, smells or sights. Is being a drug induced zombie really any better that what you describe?

One kid was like a caged animal when he came into church.It as pitiful. He would walk into the room clawing at the carpet with his fingers, throwing things, peeing on himself, etc. I worked with him every chance I got and the mom was trying stuff, too, but I don't know how much. I walked into the classroom a few months later and he was sitting there, laughing with the teacher, building a model with kinex or something like that. He was a different child. I cornered the mom and asked what it was, she said respirdal had been his miracle drug. Another child I met while on it. The mother began after trying the diet and some other stuff, again, I don't know to what detail. They tried it when their daughter got to the point of only sleeping 1 hr for every 24. She was hitting her sisters, pulling out her mother's hair, etc. She seemed to be a delightful child when I met her, though still low functioning, and somewhat overweight. The mother read about all the side effects and began to slowly wean her off it. They got all the way off and all the old symptoms returned. After the mom and thesiblings were beat by the child for a week, she gave up and put her back on it. The child became rational again.I'm sure kids are overmedicated, no doubt. But to make a blanket statement about any drug for the sake of the anti-drug kid religion, is just as much a mistake as the vaccine religion. You in your situation have no idea what every child is like, just as I have no idea. Sure, there are side effects. There's also side effects to losing your kids because your child with autism was beating the crap out of everyone, and there's side effects to your child never having an opportunity to participate in this world because his nervous system is too messed up.As I type this I'm working on a few hrs sleep because my husband and I were up crying most of the night over our daughter and her spiral downward since stopping ssri back in sept. I can tell you one thing, the issue of whether or not to medicate is certainly not based off some feel-good ideal of being able to say I don't medicate my child. It's more about what my child needs and what will give her the best shot at life. If she's laying in a fetal position in her bed all day long, scratching at her wrists like she's trying to slit them when we're out in public, I think side effects of medications become more of a context issue.Debi

, I think diets/supps/behavior mods should be used before any drug. That said, I know 2 kids who SIGNIFICANTLY improved with respirdal.

QUESTION! Did these kids improve or did the risperdal just mask the problem? Do these drugs really help improve the quality of their lives if as a result of the medication they end up committing suicide or dying of kidney failure before they are reach 25?

Instead of finding the "right miracal" drug, more time should be spent on finding out what triggers the negative behaviors that manifest when the drugs aren't used. It could be sounds, smells or sights. Is being a drug induced zombie really any better that what you describe?

One kid was like a caged animal when he came into church.It as pitiful. He would walk into the room clawing at the carpet with his fingers, throwing things, peeing on himself, etc. I worked with him every chance I got and the mom was trying stuff, too, but I don't know how much. I walked into the classroom a few months later and he was sitting there, laughing with the teacher, building a model with kinex or something like that. He was a different child. I cornered the mom and asked what it was, she said respirdal had been his miracle drug. Another child I met while on it. The mother began after trying the diet and some other stuff, again, I don't know to what detail. They tried it when their daughter got to the point of only sleeping 1 hr for every 24. She was hitting her sisters, pulling out her mother's hair, etc. She seemed to be a delightful child when I met her, though still low functioning, and somewhat overweight. The mother read about all the side effects and began to slowly wean her off it. They got all the way off and all the old symptoms returned. After the mom and thesiblings were beat by the child for a week, she gave up and put her back on it. The child became rational again.I'm sure kids are overmedicated, no doubt. But to make a blanket statement about any drug for the sake of the anti-drug kid religion, is just as much a mistake as the vaccine religion. You in your situation have no idea what every child is like, just as I have no idea. Sure, there are side effects. There's also side effects to losing your kids because your child with autism was beating the crap out of everyone, and there's side effects to your child never having an opportunity to participate in this world because his nervous system is too messed up.As I type this I'm working on a few hrs sleep because my husband and I were up crying most of the night over our daughter and her spiral downward since stopping ssri back in sept. I can tell you one thing, the issue of whether or not to medicate is certainly not based off some feel-good ideal of being able to say I don't medicate my child. It's more about what my child needs and what will give her the best shot at life. If she's laying in a fetal position in her bed all day long, scratching at her wrists like she's trying to slit them when we're out in public, I think side effects of medications become more of a context issue.Debi

I agree, there are real risks to any drugs. Anyone considering the

drugs should know the risks. I'm sorry if I insinuated (sp?) or said

you don't understand, I don't know your situation. At the same time,

you suggest your child's behaviors are not to the point of needing

medication. There's just such a great divide between medicating and

non-medicating camps, similar to the vaccinating & non-vaccinating. I

think instead of a divide it needs to be an understanding that

medication does have its place; hopefully infrequently and last-resort.

I remember a recent mass emailing by a group talking about the effects

of a drug then at the end stating something to the effect of, " When

the information is considered, the right choice is clear. " It was

offensive. No, it's not clear. That sort of statement further

alienates a number of parents who are already feeling alienated enough.

Debi

>

> Debi,

>

> I was bashed for putting that information on the group. I'm sorry but

> pretending those side effects, that mother's personal account and

> ignoring the NAA statement don't exist, doesn't make those things not

> real.

>

> There were two mothers saying things like " Isn't it wonderful " and

> another mother saying to just " try it " to the mother who wanted

> information. I was bashed for not being supportive and judging for

> merely posting information that highlighted the downside of

> Risperdal. I only forwarded those pices of information. Sorry it's

> reality. I wasn't saying anything other than what I orignally posted

> (purely information) and then trying to defend myself for posting

> information I didn't generate, or make up, it's on the internet for

> anyone to read. I can't understand why a person would only want to

> know the " good " things a drug could do, and not want to hear the bad.

> Sorry, I don't work that way. I would be more interested in what

> could go wrong than what might go right. I don't know, maybe I have a

> problem trusting meds/doctors since my kid withdrew from the world

> after his 12 month vaccines.

>

> Great that those kids improved, everybody has to do what is best for

> their own kid. It still doesn't mean those kids will not possibly

> suffer ill health from those meds. Maybe a parent would rather a

> child be obese and develop diabetes, but docile, I don't know the

> answer for anyone else. I didn't feel that the information was

> balanced for the parent who was asking. " It's wonderful " and " try it "

> didn't seem like enough information to make that kind of decision.

>

> I'm sorry to hear you daughter is not doing well. I can relate. My

> son has been on a downhill slide for about a year and a half since we

> moved. He would be a perfect candidate for Risperdal, he has been

> prescribed that in the past. I choose not to use it unless a drastic

> emegency, never daily. That is my choice, for right now. So please

> don't think I dont know what it is like to deal with an aggressive,

> violent, out of control kid, I do.

>

> I hope things improve for your daughter, I'll be thinking of you and

> her.

>

>

>

I do not know the details of their medical reports to know which the

drug did. I also am no longer in contact with these families. I do

know through the grapevine both children are otherwise healthy. You

are making the assumptions that these families did not spend time

finding triggers, that they went to medication without doing all that.

No, neither child was a zombie, both were quite active.

Why does a parent who medicates get the assumption they have not tried

a plethora of interventions?

Debi

QUESTION! Did these kids improve or did the risperdal just

> mask the problem? Do these drugs really help improve the quality of

> their lives if as a result of the medication they end up committing

> suicide or dying of kidney failure before they are reach 25? Instead of

> finding the " right miracal " drug, more time should be spent on finding

> out what triggers the negative behaviors that manifest when the drugs

> aren't used. It could be sounds, smells or sights. Is being a drug

> induced zombie really any better that what you describe?

I do not know the details of their medical reports to know which the

drug did. I also am no longer in contact with these families. I do

know through the grapevine both children are otherwise healthy. You

are making the assumptions that these families did not spend time

finding triggers, that they went to medication without doing all that.

No, neither child was a zombie, both were quite active.

Why does a parent who medicates get the assumption they have not tried

a plethora of interventions?

Debi

QUESTION! Did these kids improve or did the risperdal just

> mask the problem? Do these drugs really help improve the quality of

> their lives if as a result of the medication they end up committing

> suicide or dying of kidney failure before they are reach 25? Instead of

> finding the " right miracal " drug, more time should be spent on finding

> out what triggers the negative behaviors that manifest when the drugs

> aren't used. It could be sounds, smells or sights. Is being a drug

> induced zombie really any better that what you describe?

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

In a message dated 4/17/2007 4:50:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,

SSRI medications writes:

One dtr thought I was psycho because I

was on risperdal. Uugghh. So dtrs label us by what meds we are on!

They used to only give antipsychotics to psychotics, now they give them to

everybody. What a sick sick sick world we live in.

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Ya know, this dtr was a ob/gyn. I went to her because I felt my hormones

were out of whack, she basically told me I need to see a shrink. Can you

believe that one. I eventually got insurance that accepts naturopaths and

she did a month hormone study on me and yup my hormones are out of whack.

We are working on them naturally.

Oh and I feel better now then I have in years. Despite insomnia and the

weight gain.

hugs

SSRI medications@ <mailto:SSRI medications%40>

writes:

Micki

Health Eating and Living Together

he2gether_/

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Guest guest

Oh I wanted to add, she put me on another birth control and a month and ½

later I was in the hospital with blood clots. And it was a massive one from

my knee to below my belly button. Though I will have to say I probably was

clotting for a good while prior to this. Just this one pushed me over the

edge.

hugs

Micki

he2gether_/

_____

On Behalf Of micki

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:17 PM

SSRI medications

Subject: RE: Risperdal

weight gain.

hugs

writes:

Micki

http://health. <he2gether_/>

/group/he2gether_/

Guest guest

serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, etc... are hormones

one of the first side effects I had when I began taking antidepressants was

acne, and hot flashes

couple weeks after I quit I got my period super heavy, got it again in a couple

weeks and then got it again couple weeks after that, lasted almost two months

that time

approximately a year to the day after I quit is when the medication weight just

started to fall off as mysteriously as it appeared, I've lost half of it so far,

I quit taking ALL the medication right around thanksgiving 2005, between

thanksgiving 2006 and sometime in march I lost over sixty pounds, now I have to

actually start working at getting rid of the rest to be back to normal, well

normal weight anyway, I too have insomnia, paranoia, and at times my mind just

goes blank

RE: Risperdal

weight gain.

hugs

writes:

Micki

he2gether_/

Guest guest

Guest guest

I didn't know it was a hormone either until well into my withdrawal

Sandy

Serotonin is a hormone? I thought is was a hormone 'precursor' and not

technically a hormone?

Guest guest

>

> Serotonin is a neurotransmitter.

I've heard Creel refer to it as a hormone too. I believe it

functions as both, depending on where it is in the body and what it is

doing. Did you know that most of your serotonin is in your gut, that

something like only 1% of it is in your brain? This is one reason why

SSRIs cause side effects -- because they equally affect all the

serotonin in the body, no matter where it is.

Guest guest

> >

> > Serotonin is a neurotransmitter.

>

> I've heard Creel refer to it as a hormone too. I believe it

> functions as both, depending on where it is in the body and what it

is

> doing. Did you know that most of your serotonin is in your gut, that

> something like only 1% of it is in your brain? This is one reason why

> SSRIs cause side effects -- because they equally affect all the

> serotonin in the body, no matter where it is.

>

> .>>

** Yes, this is true, .

Whether a substance acts as a hormone or neurotransmitter depends

on where the molecule of substance is released. Serotonin acts a a

hormone when it is released into the blood and carried to far off

places in the body. It's effects there are numerous. Science admits

it knows only some of what serotonin does.

Serotonin acts as a neurotranmitter when it is released released

from a stimulated presynaptic nerve cell and acts on it's neighboring

postsynaptic cell instead of going into the bloodstream.

As you read this next paragraph you will get some idea of why people

have such difficulty after taking an SSRI.

The pineal gland is considered the " master gland " in our bodies.

This is because its various hormones regulate all other endocrine

glands. Serotonin originates in the pineal gland.

What do endocrine glands do? Endocrine glands release their

secretions into the blood stream most often to be carried to other

locations where they take their action. Examples of endocrine glands

are: the pineal, pituitary, thyroid, parathyroids,adrenals, pancreas,

testes, and ovaries.

Serotonin can act as a neurotransmitter in other areas of the body,

too. You may have heard the gut referred to as the " second brain " .

This is because of the high level of serotonin neurotramsmitter

activity there. Only a small amount of serotonin is used in the brain

while the rest is used in a myriad of functions with the most serotonin

(about 90%) being found in the gut.

In the gut, 5-HT is an important mucosal signalling molecule

targeting enterocytes, smooth muscle cells, and enteric neurones. This

system has far-reaching effects that scientists regularly admit still

puzzle them. Despite this, the drug industry has been allowed to

proceed in creating drugs that have profound effects on serotonin.

This is a testimony to their master ability in sales rather than as

scientists.

Regards,

• 2 years later...

After my son Yousef started taking Risperdal, I noticed his nipples/breasts were growing but not necessarily from the weight gain. I also noticed jerky leg movements as well as twitching in his hands. The growth of breasts and risk of strokes was a bit too much for me and I decided to take him off the medication.

Ive

Subject: RisperdalTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 10:02 PM

I've heard so many negative things about risperdal. So I decided to talk to his neurologist about taking him off this medication. We have started slowly taking him off. We are on week four and with only 2 weeks to go, he would be completely off this med. Here is the huge dilemma, he has gone berserk. He has started behaviors that I have never seen before. He was never ever aggressive. But these past couple of days, he has been punching himself in the face, banging his head into the wall, getting so aggravated over very minor things. He is 11 and completely non-verbal. So I can't ask him how he is feeling. His ocd and hyperactivity has gotten 100 times worse. I called his neurologist and he said that he had a suspicion this would happen but agreed for me to take him off, because he wanted to support my decision. They want me to put him back on the higher dose he used to be on. He says some kids unfortunately just need these type of meds. Has anyone

on this list had this same problem? Has Risperdal helped any of your kiddos. I wanted to take him off in the first place, because I felt like it had stopped working. Never in a million years did I expect these kind of changes when trying to get him off.

Thanks again,

Mache

Mache:

It's typical to temporarily get a worsening of symptoms when coming off of any medication that effects behaviors. This will pass, but since Risperdal does help some with behaviors, it is good to have a plan on what to do instead. Are you doing biomed? was able to come off of all psych meds, including Risperdal just by eating good, and taking digestive enzymes and ginger root. This didn't recover him, but worked better than his psych meds.

Love and prayers,

Heidi N

I've heard so many negative things about risperdal. So I decided to talk tohis neurologist about taking him off this medication. We have started slowlytaking him off. We are on week four and with only 2 weeks to go, he would becompletely off this med. Here is the huge dilemma, he has gone berserk. Hehas started behaviors that I have never seen before. He was never everaggressive. But these past couple of days, he has been punching himself inthe face, banging his head into the wall, getting so aggravated over veryminor things. He is 11 and completely non-verbal. So I can't ask him how heis feeling. His ocd and hyperactivity has gotten 100 times worse. I calledhis neurologist and he said that he had a suspicion this would happen butagreed for me to take him off, because he wanted to support my decision.They want me to put him back on the higher dose he used to be on. He sayssome kids unfortunately just need these type of meds. Has anyone on thislist had this same problem? Has Risperdal helped any of your kiddos. Iwanted to take him off in the first place, because I felt like it hadstopped working. Never in a million years did I expect these kind of changeswhen trying to get him off.Thanks again,Mache

I wonder if this is some kind of reaction related to the weaning off

period. I have trouble with the notion that any child needs to be on

high doses of this medication for the rest of their lives. Typically

you'll find doctors will give one medication to counteract another too

and I've heard of kids on huge cocktails of meds never intended for or

tested on children. I had my son on 100mgs of Zoloft and weaned him off

with SAME and chelation. This is just an example. Tell us what behaviors

you were trying to remedy with Risperdol and perhaps we can help.

And Mache, get your son into HALO. This is one of the biggest benefits

of being able to use a letterboard to communicate with your son, the

ability to tell you where he is hurting. HALO is offering a session with

their intern as a raffle item at this weeks NAACT Ride for Autism

at Hanovers in Plugerville in fact.

Trina

-M- wrote:

>

> I've heard so many negative things about risperdal. So I decided to

> talk to his neurologist about taking him off this medication. We have

> started slowly taking him off. We are on week four and with only 2

> weeks to go, he would be completely off this med. Here is the huge

> dilemma, he has gone berserk. He has started behaviors that I have

> never seen before. He was never ever aggressive. But these past couple

> of days, he has been punching himself in the face, banging his head

> into the wall, getting so aggravated over very minor things. He is 11

> and completely non-verbal. So I can't ask him how he is feeling. His

> ocd and hyperactivity has gotten 100 times worse. I called his

> neurologist and he said that he had a suspicion this would happen but

> agreed for me to take him off, because he wanted to support my

> decision. They want me to put him back on the higher dose he used to

> be on. He says some kids unfortunately just need these type of meds.

> Has anyone on this list had this same problem? Has Risperdal helped

> any of your kiddos. I wanted to take him off in the first place,

> because I felt like it had stopped working. Never in a million years

> did I expect these kind of changes when trying to get him off.

> Thanks again,

> Mache

>

~M~

I can totally relate to your situation! :) My daughter is now age 5 and she has been on 900 mg Seroquel since she was 3 yrs. old!!!!! Our life was 100% living hell until the psychiatrists put her on this medication. Risperdal and Seroquel both are considered antipsychotics which fall under the atypical class of drugs. My daughter has autism,ADHD Combined Type, Severe Speech/Language delay, OCD, throat tics, sensory issues, etc. and before the seroquel she had severe aggression toward others along with herself. The least little thing would set her off and most of the time we never knew what it was. We didn't know what was going on but something had to be done. She is now much better although we still have small amounts of aggression but nothing we can't handle with behavior management. At one point last year she was doing so well that my mind began to play tricks on me. I hate the thought that

she's on medications and I thought maybe she really didn't need them now and maybe she was all better. I convinced the doctor to wean her off and we barely got to 600 mg before her severe aggression and meltdowns began all over. I couldn't have been more wrong!! :( As much as we don't like medications for our babies, especially ones that haven't been approved by FDA for children, there are exceptions and some children need them in order to function. I would like to recommend a book STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT PSYCHIATRIC MEDICATIONS FOR KIDS. It seriously helped me to understand how important medication is for some children but it helps you to understand how it works to regulate the brain. I typically don't respond to many posts but this one touched home. I wish you the best of luck! :)

Subject: RisperdalTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 10:02 PM

I've heard so many negative things about risperdal. So I decided to talk to his neurologist about taking him off this medication. We have started slowly taking him off. We are on week four and with only 2 weeks to go, he would be completely off this med. Here is the huge dilemma, he has gone berserk. He has started behaviors that I have never seen before. He was never ever aggressive. But these past couple of days, he has been punching himself in the face, banging his head into the wall, getting so aggravated over very minor things. He is 11 and completely non-verbal. So I can't ask him how he is feeling. His ocd and hyperactivity has gotten 100 times worse. I called his neurologist and he said that he had a suspicion this would happen but agreed for me to take him off, because he wanted to support my decision. They want me to put him back on the higher dose he used to be on. He says some kids unfortunately just need these type of meds. Has anyone

on this list had this same problem? Has Risperdal helped any of your kiddos. I wanted to take him off in the first place, because I felt like it had stopped working. Never in a million years did I expect these kind of changes when trying to get him off.

Thanks again,

Mache