RemedySpot.com

i need advice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have one son who is an aspie. He hasn't picked up his dads bad habit but at 14 or 15 I started pulling my hair. Its called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania and its an OCD type of thing. I've never gone bald or anything doing it. But I'll twist my hair contantly with my fingers till it tugs. I have at times receded my hairline a bit doing it. I have to be careful now because over the years I do have thinner section of hair is a few of my most visited places. For me I started obsessing about my hair like a nervous teenager. It then turned into a nervious habit. I tend to do it more when I'm stressed or anxious. When I have lots of work to do I'll do it more.

TIP: Once I start up on a cycle its hard to stop. I noticed some years ago that if I stop a cycle it usually occured right after a hair cut. So now when I start doing it too much I go get a hair cut. The shorter hair means less itching of the scalp plus whatever its harder to twist and pull and so I just stop. On few occasions I don't stop after a haircut but that usually does the trick for me. So get the boy a hair cut. #2 on the sides minimum. Short haircut.

My guess is that its a nervous habit. Nip it in the bud now.

From: MacAllister <smacalli@...>Subject: Re: ( ) i need advice Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 2:26 PM

My son used to do the nose thing. In retrospect, I think it was a familiar routine so he did it to comfort himself. I don't know if I could call it an all out compulsion, but it was a habit of sorts. I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that he will eventually stop doing this if you keep redirecting him and asking him to stop. The bad news, in at least our situation, is that he will replace it with something else =) We have seen a variety of repetitive behaviors (both physical and verbal) since D was a baby. He's 14 now. It's usually common phrases he'll repeat now though. He dropped the nose thing when he was about 4, if I remember correctly.

From: happycakes2323 <happycakes2323@...> Sent: Tue, October 12, 2010 12:31:51 AMSubject: ( ) i need advice

I have a 4 year old son and these days he keeps touching my nose or ears and saying "this is a nose or that's ears or whatever which is great because he's late speaking but he is quite big for his age and it hurts when he's pushing my nose or pulling my ears and when I tell him to stop he thinks it's funny. I've tried givivg him time outs and he says sorry but does it again later. I'm afraid he will hurt someone. When he wants to play he often runs up to a kid gives them a shove and runs away laughing (no matter the time or place)I keep hoping that when his language skills improve he'll change but what can I do now??

You could try getting him a box of fidgets and prompt him to use the fidgets instead. If it won't stop, you should see a doc about it. Meds might help or the doc may have a psychiatrist with some better ideas you can try.

Roxanna

"I

predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

( ) i need advice

I have a 4 year old son and these days he keeps touching my nose or ears and saying "this is a nose or that's ears or whatever which is great because he's late speaking but he is quite big for his age and it hurts when he's pushing my nose or pulling my ears and when I tell him to stop he thinks it's funny. I've tried givivg him time outs and he says sorry but does it again later. I'm afraid he will hurt someone. When he wants to play he often runs up to a kid gives them a shove and runs away laughing (no matter the time or place)I keep hoping that when his language skills improve he'll change but what can I do now??