individual card sizes for each prompt. I thought it would be easier

to photograph his belongings rather than using someone elses pictures

so as to not add to the confusion.

I have used blu-tak and put them on his wardrobe door, washroom door

and kitchen pantry.

So in his bedroom is only school clothes, bed, toothbrush. I want

him to get dressed, attempt to make his bed and brush teeth before

school.

Only did this on thursday and so far so good!!

Hope this helps

, Melbourne

Guest guest

>

> One of the things I have

> been working on for G is a visual schedule (he is six going into grade

> 2) does anyone out there have a good resource for creating a visual

> schdeule?

Hi Charlene. I'm a mom with a 13yo aspie son. " Visual Schedule "

means as opposed to verbal or some other sense. It isn't necessarily

pictures, but can also be a list or a diagram. It is pretty much

anything you can think up that is meaningful and works. For example,

a visual schedule could be a to-do list that your child follows

instead of verbal directions or it could be a diagram he follows in

order to organize his information for a book report. They are good

for aspies because of the working memory and processing speed issues

that many of them have. It is also less intrusive to them and

hopefully after awhile they will pick up how to design and follow them

themselves.

Ruth

Guest guest

Hi Charlene,This is how I made my son's "job chart", as he likes to call it. Take a look @ http://www.do2learn.com/ for some

free clip art that can be copied and pasted to Word or another word

processor. MS Word has some free clipart that can be used too. I also just happened to come

across a site called joeschedule.com. It's $30 a year and looks

pretty good for making schedules and "choice boards". I haven't tried it yet. I was able to make the little pictures the right size, and then type "Make Your Bed" under one and "brush your teeth" under another, etc. I put about 9 on a page to save ink. I cut & pasted each picture to some recycled cardboard (cereal boxes!) and then used clear contact paper to "laminate" it. I've read that wide packing tape also works if you don't have a laminator. Laminating is very expensive at the office stores so I was trying to do it myself. Then I used velcro dots to stick the pictures to the board (a foam core poster board). You could also use long strips of velcro. The top third of our board is the "To Do" section, and the bottom 2/3 is the "done" section to store all of the little pictures. I used a line of cute stickers to separate the areas of the board. I made a set for the morning routine, and a set for the bedtime routine. I line the pictures up in order, then when E. does each thing, he moves the picture down to the bottom of the board. It's similar to checking off a to-do list, and he can see his progress as the top part of the board gets more empty. Storing the finished pictures at the bottom of the board makes it easy for mom to find them when she goes to set up the schedule. We were putting the completed ones in envelopes that said "DONE", but it was harder to find the right picture when I went to set up the schedule again the next time.You could also make a mini-board for the bathroom things if you need to break the steps down further, or another one for what to do in the kitchen, etc. Instead of "brush teeth", you might want to break it down into small steps if your child needs it. "open toothpaste" , "put toothpaste on toothbrush" and "wet toothbrush" etc. This might be hard to find graphics for each step. My son will still sit and daydream while he is supposed to be getting ready, but I just say "look at your job chart" and it gets him back on track. I still have to check on him frequently, but he doesn't seem as lost. I'm combining this with a reward system. When he does it all right & quickly, he gets a star. After 5 stars he got a small toy. Then we moved to 10 stars, and now we're up to 15 stars to get the toys. He also gets a star for wiping his own bum without asking me to do it, and 5 stars for sitting on the toilet at daycare or in a public bathroom, since he is terrified of strange restrooms. Having the toys in sight (like up on the fridge) motivates E to try to work hard. The only reinforcers he likes are toys, unfortunately. I put treats, books and pokemon cards in the goody basket but he wasn't interested, even though he picked them out when we went shopping. I did find some pokemon action figures that were on clearance and he was thrilled to get those after working hard. I think I'll get a lego set and divide it up into 3 different baggies so he has to work hard to get the whole set.My almost 10 y.o. DD has a list on a white board. She is NT, but gets easily distracted so this helps her. She went to a friend's house for a playdate and was surprised to see her friend also had a morning to-do list. They both seem a little ADHD to me, two peas in a pod.Good luck!>> Hey there! I am new here, and also fairly new (February) to the > diagnosis. My son was diagnosed with Aspergers, anxiety and ADHD in > Feruary. We knew the anxiety, not the others. One of the things I have > been working on for G is a visual schedule (he is six going into grade > 2) does anyone out there have a good resource for creating a visual > schdeule?> > Charlene>