reaction to a medication, you have an immune system suppressed by

medications. You have an infection and need antibiotics. For the moment,

doing that is the priority, then back to routine treatment. He's going

to have to take a different approach anyway, after your allergic

reaction to Imuran.

The only additional advice I'd give is next time you react to a new med

like you did this time, do not wait to talk to a doctor or get to ER and

get help. An allergic reaction like that can be serious. Fortunately,

sounds like you're on the way to recovery now.

>

>

> From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

> Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction

> To: " Breath Support " <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>

> Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM

>

>

> Â

>

>

>

>

> Erna,

> Â

> Are you okay now? I see you posting, but you didn't say if you

got treated for the swelling you were experiencing this weekend?Â

Hope you're okay..

> Â

> C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington

> HOPEÂ doesn't disappoint!

>

Guest guest

Thank you Bruce,

I thought at first my face was from the prednisone. Until it became so large I could not use my oxygen and had to put the canulas in my mouth. Then I looked for allergies from Imuran. I did get my thrush also from the Immunosuppressant medications and not from the antibiotics. He has me on zyprexa now; this is normally a five day course. But I understand from what you said it needs to be 10 days. You are a wealth of knowledge. Yes, and I will go to an emergency room next time…. Just to get over with faster just not the one in my own town. (Laughing). I just have to many troubles over there, I just wished I could stay on the prednisone still but I will listen to my pulmonologist. What should I look for with withdrawal from the prednisone and what can I do about

it?…..Erna

1992 bird fanciers syndrome, CAD & MI 2004, ILD 2008 NSIP 2009

Washington State

Subject: Re: Update - Allergic ReactionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 8:17 PM

ErnaThat all makes sense. First, infections are easy to get with suppressedimmune systems. Ten days is standard for the antibiotics pulmonologiststypically prescribe for PF'ers. Be careful if you're not completely wellin the ten days not to let a time lapse and to get more. Also, notknowing which antibiotic you were prescribed, thrush can be a sideeffect of it (especially Levaquin) so the Nystatin makes sense evenmore.It is also not uncommon to remove patients from Imuran during aninfection, then to put them right back on it after it clears. As toremoving you from the prednisone, I'm somewhat surprised but you were ona very low dosage. Even at that dosage however, be aware for possibleside effects coming off it.All the problems you mention are pretty routine. You had an allergicreaction to a medication, you have an immune system suppressed bymedications. You have an infection

and need antibiotics. For the moment,doing that is the priority, then back to routine treatment. He's goingto have to take a different approach anyway, after your allergicreaction to Imuran.The only additional advice I'd give is next time you react to a new medlike you did this time, do not wait to talk to a doctor or get to ER andget help. An allergic reaction like that can be serious. Fortunately,sounds like you're on the way to recovery now.>>> From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>> Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction> To: "Breath Support" <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>> Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM>>> Â>>>>> Erna,> Â> Are you okay now? I see you posting, but you didn't say if yougot treated for the swelling you were experiencing this weekend? Hope you're okay..> Â> C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington> HOPE doesn't disappoint!>

Guest guest

Erna

Zyprexa isn't an antibiotic. Regardless of whatever antibiotic it is, we

often need more and longer and in general the infections are growing

more antibiotic resistant. I know your thrush isn't from the

antibiotic-was just saying that now taking one could increase the thrush

and further justifies the anti-thrush med.

As to withdrawal from the prednisone, look for possible increase in

coughing, increase in depression and any other sudden significant

changes.

> >

> >

> > From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

> > Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction

> > To: " Breath Support " <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>

> > Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM

> >

> >

> > Â

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Erna,

> > Â

> > Are you okay now? I see you posting, but you didn't say if you

> got treated for the swelling you were experiencing this weekend?Â

> Hope you're okay..

> > Â

> > C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington

> > HOPEÂ doesn't disappoint!

> >

>

Guest guest

ErnaFuller list of withdrawal symptoms:joint painmuscle painfatigueheadachefeverlow blood pressurenausea and vomitingI am surprised by the withdrawal as normally, if anything, the doctors tend to increase the prednisone under such conditions as infections.> > >> > >> > > From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>> > > Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction> > > To: "Breath Support" <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>> > > Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM> > >> > >> > > Â> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Erna,> > > Â> > > Are you okay now? I see you posting, but you didn't say if you> > got treated for the swelling you were experiencing this weekend?Â> > Hope you're okay..> > > Â> > > C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington> > > HOPE doesn't disappoint!> > >> >>

Guest guest

Sorry, I meant zithromax, Dang I wished I had looked at it before i took it.... I have this Ventricular tachycardia. Hmmm well maybe it will not affect me... or I should ask again?.... Thank you for the head up on Prednisone withdrawal I think I have experienced it before. I still think I will call again to let me take it....I know the increased coughing I had last time.. since I cannot get any cough medication from Medicaid, like tessalon perles which I like the best and not even cough syrup with codeine the once without do not work......yes, I think the thrush medication will be justified, thank you, Erna

1992 bird fanciers syndrome, CAD & MI 2004 , ILD 2008 NSIP 2009

Washington State

Subject: Re: Update - Allergic ReactionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 9:51 PM

ErnaZyprexa isn't an antibiotic. Regardless of whatever antibiotic it is, weoften need more and longer and in general the infections are growingmore antibiotic resistant. I know your thrush isn't from theantibiotic-was just saying that now taking one could increase the thrushand further justifies the anti-thrush med.As to withdrawal from the prednisone, look for possible increase incoughing, increase in depression and any other sudden significantchanges.> >>

>> > From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>> > Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction> > To: "Breath Support" <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>> > Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM> >> >> > Â> >> >> >> >> > Erna,> > Â> > Are you okay now? I see you posting, but you didn't say if you> got treated for the swelling you were experiencing this weekend?Â> Hope you're okay..> > Â> > C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington> > HOPE doesn't disappoint!> >>

Guest guest

Looking at all the side effects and all the problems, I am having already. I am almost going to go against doctor’s advice. But I will call again tomorrow. Or maybe I will call the UWMC first and see if I can talk to them....Thank you Bruce.

1992 bird fanciers syndrome,CAD & MI 2004, ILD 2008 NSIP 2009

Washington State

Subject: Re: Update - Allergic ReactionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 9:57 PM

ErnaFuller list of withdrawal symptoms:

joint pain

muscle pain

fatigue

headache

fever

low blood pressure

nausea and vomitingI am surprised by the withdrawal as normally, if anything, the doctors tend to increase the prednisone under such conditions as infections.> > >> > >> > > From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>> > > Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction> > > To: "Breath Support" <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>> > > Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM> > >> > >> > > Â> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Erna,> > > Â> > > Are you okay now? I see you posting, but you didn't say if you> > got treated for the swelling you were experiencing this weekend?Â> > Hope you're okay..> > > Â> > > C_53_Familial IPF_5/09, Washington> > > HOPE doesn't disappoint!> > >> >>

Guest guest

Erna

You just need to talk to the doctors tomorrow but don't start going

against their advice without even knowing why they're advising. When you

talk to them ask them more questions too.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > From: worth hope2thend (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

> > > > Subject: Erna - Allergic Reaction

> > > > To: " Breath Support " <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>

> > > > Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 8:02 PM

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Â

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >