RemedySpot.com

Barb

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you!! How are you doing out there with all that snow?

Beth

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sun, December 20, 2009 11:15:36 AMSubject: Re: about pulmonary rehab

Congrats, Beth!

B

Barbara McD

PF--Sept 08; Sjogren's--Apr 09; Reynaud's--seems like forever

Beautiful Western NC

Counting my blessings: #5 - Working electricity.

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sun, December 20, 2009 11:11:30 AMSubject: Re: about pulmonary rehab

Good morning,

In my opinion pulmonary rehab is the single best thing most of us can do for ourselves. There are hundreds and hundreds of programs across the country. Some of them are better and more comprehensive than others but almost all of them are better than nothing.

You will learn more about your disease and how to manage it. Learn how to exert yourself and exercise safely.

Personally I have been through rehab twice. Once in NY at Helen Hospital in 2006 and most recently here in NC at the Duke Center for Living. This time around I've been able to lose 27 pounds to date and my 6 minute walk distance increased by 25%. I am stronger and have more endurance than I did when I started.

Here is a link to a searchable directory of programs from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation:

http://www.aacvpr. org/Resources/ SearchableCertif iedProgramDirect ory/tabid/ 113/Default. aspx

You need a doctors prescription to be able to go to a rehab program but many doctors don't think to suggest it or don't see the value. However in many places (Duke is one of them) rehab is required for transplant. It just makes sense to try to keep our bodies as healthy as possible in order to be able to live as best we can with this lung disease. If your doctor doesn't suggest it you can and should request it.

Beth

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

From: iltopaint <iltopaint (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sun, December 20, 2009 9:57:52 AMSubject: about pulmonary rehab

Hi everyone, I'm looking to see what everyone thought of pulmonary rehab. What did it do for you and did it really make a difference in your everyday life.