Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi ,

Welcome to Bee's group! It's great that you are reading the provided

information. Since this is a self-help program, it's important that you

understand what you are doing and why.

Bee doesn't recommend chelation therapy for the removal of heavy metals because

they dump a lot of toxins into the body at once and this can be very hard on the

body.

See this article for more information:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/mn16.php

The 'complete' meals that Bee is referring to in that article is a meal that

contains high fats, moderate protein along with a low amount of carbs. You need

to calculate your correct ratios. This can be done by using fitday.com. This

group of articles should help you with that:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/menu2_2.php

A complete meal, for example, could be a bowl of chili with added coconut oil

and butter. It could also be salmon with cooked veggies along with added

coconut oil and butter.

Raw foods are not recommended because they are difficult to digest. The odd

salad won't necessarily set you back; it's just that many people with Candida

also have poor digestion, so taxing it by forcing it digest raw veggies is

certainly not recommended.

This also includes green smoothie-type drinks. Bee says that you would need to

cooked those veggies very well first.

Here are some articles about cooked vs. raw:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/veg3.php (remember that fruits

are not allowed on this program, except lemons and limes in small amounts)

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/veg2.php

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/cook7.php

I hope that helps to lesson the confusion!

(a group moderator)

>

> hello,

> i am new here. thank you for this site.

>

<snip>

>

> i am working on the elimation of the mercury(by removal of amalgams, and

chelating with dmsa and ala) and candida at the same time.

>

> i have a few questions about the diet

>

> in the new member liturature it states to eat a complete meals 2x day no more

than 3

>

> -could someone help me with what is a complete meal?

>

> it also talks about no raw foods

>

> -does that mean no lettuce, spinach with meals?

>

> on that note it also talked about cooked vs raw and breaking down the cell

wall of the plant. i bought a special blender K tech that is supposed to do just

that, to make green smoothies. the book GREEN FOR LIFE by victoria boutenko

says just the oppisite, that cooked food lose nutri and enzymes, so i am

confused.

>

> -should i not drink green smoothies as part of my healing? only cooked veg?

>

> confused

> denise

>

>

>

>

>

• 1 month later...

Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?

Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs. idiopathic?

Sorry for more questions rather than answers. But it all does matter in the long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks old) and it was visible at birth. We had to do the "wait and see" until she was about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even our current doctor (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery to remove her hemi-vertebra.

Keep us posted.

Jane

Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AMSubject: New with Questions

Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say "Does he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they were not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up set was done on Feb 28. At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group for quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the infant carrier - it was dismissed as just

positioning). He pulled the reports and both indicated it!In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from now.I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones (ie crawling, walking).Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I feel as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend treatment until a COBB of 30*.I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a brace because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from worsening.Any advice?? I

just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.Thanks!!

Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?

Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs. idiopathic?

Sorry for more questions rather than answers. But it all does matter in the long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks old) and it was visible at birth. We had to do the "wait and see" until she was about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even our current doctor (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery to remove her hemi-vertebra.

Keep us posted.

Jane

Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AMSubject: New with Questions

Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say "Does he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they were not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up set was done on Feb 28. At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group for quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the infant carrier - it was dismissed as just

positioning). He pulled the reports and both indicated it!In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from now.I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones (ie crawling, walking).Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I feel as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend treatment until a COBB of 30*.I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a brace because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from worsening.Any advice?? I

just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.Thanks!!

Sorry - I didn't even realize that I skimmed over some of that. Both doctors

said from looking at his x-rays, they can rule out congenital. Dr. F (the recent

doc) said he saw no indications of a hemi-vertebra.

So for now, I am guessing I have to accept the " wait and see " mode?

Do you know more about casting? Does your child have to be at some sort of

magical number?

We live in Louisiana.

Thanks!!

>

> Where are you located?  Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?

>

> Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs.

> idiopathic?

>

> Sorry for more questions rather than answers.  But it all does matter in the

> long run.  My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks

old)

> and it was visible at birth.  We had to do the " wait and see "  until she

was

> about 18 months.  By that point she was in the 40's.  Even our

current doctor

> (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she

> progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery

to

> remove her hemi-vertebra.

>

> Keep us posted.

>  

> Jane

> Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: <laura.fiegel@...>

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM

> Subject: New with Questions

>

>  

> Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've

> been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings,

> micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food

> allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

>

> The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story

> short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right

upper

> lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say

" Does

> he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a second set because they were

> not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a

follow-up

> set was done on Feb 28.

>

>

> At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said

> anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group

for

> quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the

> infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports

> and both indicated it!

>

> In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*.

We

> followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we

> saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw

a

> jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from

now.

>

> I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is

> hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental

milestones

> (ie crawling, walking).

>

> Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I

feel

> as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend

> treatment until a COBB of 30*.

>

> I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a

brace

> because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from

> worsening.

>

> Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd

> opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

>

> Thanks!!

>

HELLO! WELCOME TO CAST! I NOTICED MY DAUGHTER SIERRA'S LEFT CURVE AT 9 MO. JUST AROUND THIS PAST CHRISTMAS! AT HER CHECK UP THE PED. DID NOT NOTICE & FORGOT TO POINT IT OUT! WELL, IT JUST STARTED TO BOTHER ME SO I TOOK HER BACK IN. I KNEW & HAD THAT GUT FEELING SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT. WE HAVE A 3 YR. OLD NAMED SUMMER ALSO. WELL, AS SOON AS I POINTED OUT HER CURVE TO HER PED. HER FACE TURNED WHITE AS A SHEET...THIS IS A FAMILY FRIEND ALSO. WE STRAIGHT FOR X-RAYS THAT DAY. BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME (20 MIN) DRIVE THE PED. CALLED AND SAID SIERRA HAS SCOLIOSIS????? I WAS LIKE WHAT???? NO ONE IN THIS AREA HAD EVER SEEN IT IN AN INFANT. WE LIVE ON THE GULF COAST OF ALABAMA. THEY WANTED US TO WAIT ABOUT 3 WEEKS TO GO SEE AN ORTHO PED. IN MOBILE ALABAMA ABOUT MAYBE BRACING!!!! I SAID NO WAY I'M WAITING 3 WEEKS. I CAME HOME GOT ON LINE FOUND ISOP & TALKED TO HEATHER ON THE PHONE THAT DAY. I RESEARCHED LIKE A WILD WOMEN TO FIND A WAY TO CORRECT SIERRA'S CURVE. I FOUND A MEHTA TRAINED CASTING DR. IN BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA. DR. K. NO ONE AROUND HERE EBEN KNEW HOW TO MEASURE HER CURVE. TALK ABOUT FREAKING OUT. PED. SUGGESTED WE SEND X-RAY PIC'S. I SAID NO!!!! I WANT IN TO SEE DR. K NOW. WE SAW DR. K 1 WEEK LATER. SIERRA HAD A 34 DEGREE CURVE. DR. K SAID ANYTHING OVER 20 DEGREES WAS CONSIDERED PROGRESSIVE. SHE HAD HER 1ST CAST THE DAY AFTER HER 12 MO. B'DAY. HER RVAD WAS 25 ALSO. WE ARE NOW ON OUR 3RD CAST...JUST GOT IT JULY 12TH. SIERRA HAD A BRAIN & SPINE MRI. EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL. SHE HAS IDIOPATHIC INFANTILE SCOLIOSIS. SIERRA IS NOW DOWN TO 17 DEGREES IN HER 3RD CAST & DOING GREAT. I WOULD NOT WAIT ANOTHER DAY! THE CASTING HIS HARD AT TIMES ESPECIALLY IN THE HEAT & HUMIDITY BUT VERY DOABLE! FROM WHAT I CAN UNDERSTAND THE BRACE DOES NOT CORRECT. I AM NO DOCTOR BUT I AM PLEASED WITH THE CASTING! FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE SCOLIOSIS WILL PROGRESS!

ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME!

KRISTI D. JONES MOMMY TO SIERRA 16 MO. 3RD CAST 34 DEGREES DOWN TO 17 DEGREES IN CAST!

CASTED WITH DR, K IN BIRMINGHAM, AL. CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL 4TH CAST SCHEDULED FOR OCT. 22ND.....HOPING FOR LOW #'S!!!

Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 11:25 AM

infantile scoliosis treatment

Subject: New with Questions

Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say "Does he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they were not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up set was done on Feb 28. At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group for quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports and both indicated it!In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from now.I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones (ie crawling, walking).Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I feel as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend treatment until a COBB of 30*.I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a brace because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from worsening.Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.Thanks!!

Kristy thanks for this info! Nobody has ever given me an RVAD measurement.

He had a brain MRI at 4 months old (4.19.10) because his head measurements

jumped from 50-90% --- everything appeared normal (his head is presently off the

charts).

His head is flat on the right side. I am definitely going to email you because

I would love to contact Dr. K. And Birmingham is only 5 hours away!

Thanks again :)

>

> HELLO! WELCOME TO CAST! I NOTICED MY DAUGHTER SIERRA'S LEFT CURVE AT 9 MO.

JUST AROUND THIS PAST CHRISTMAS! AT HER CHECK UP THE PED. DID NOT NOTICE &

FORGOT TO POINT IT OUT! WELL, IT JUST STARTED TO BOTHER ME SO I TOOK HER BACK

IN. I KNEW & HAD THAT GUT FEELING SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT. WE HAVE A 3 YR. OLD

NAMED SUMMER ALSO. WELL, AS SOON AS I POINTED OUT HER CURVE TO HER PED. HER FACE

TURNED WHITE AS A SHEET...THIS IS A FAMILY FRIEND ALSO. WE STRAIGHT FOR X-RAYS

THAT DAY. BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME (20 MIN) DRIVE THE PED. CALLED AND SAID SIERRA

HAS SCOLIOSIS????? I WAS LIKE WHAT???? NO ONE IN THIS AREA HAD EVER SEEN IT IN

AN INFANT. WE LIVE ON THE GULF COAST OF ALABAMA. THEY WANTED US TO WAIT ABOUT 3

WEEKS TO GO SEE AN ORTHO PED. IN MOBILE ALABAMA ABOUT MAYBE BRACING!!!! I SAID

NO WAY I'M WAITING 3 WEEKS. I CAME HOME GOT ON LINE FOUND ISOP & TALKED TO

HEATHER ON THE PHONE THAT DAY. I RESEARCHED LIKE A WILD WOMEN TO FIND A WAY TO

CORRECT SIERRA'S CURVE. I FOUND A MEHTA TRAINED CASTING DR. IN BIRMINGHAM

ALABAMA. DR. K. NO ONE AROUND HERE EBEN KNEW HOW TO MEASURE HER CURVE. TALK

ABOUT FREAKING OUT. PED. SUGGESTED WE SEND X-RAY PIC'S. I SAID NO!!!! I WANT IN

TO SEE DR. K NOW. WE SAW DR. K 1 WEEK LATER. SIERRA HAD A 34 DEGREE CURVE. DR. K

SAID ANYTHING OVER 20 DEGREES WAS CONSIDERED PROGRESSIVE. SHE HAD HER 1ST CAST

THE DAY AFTER HER 12 MO. B'DAY. HER RVAD WAS 25 ALSO. WE ARE NOW ON OUR 3RD

CAST...JUST GOT IT JULY 12TH. SIERRA HAD A BRAIN & SPINE MRI. EVERYTHING WAS

NORMAL. SHE HAS IDIOPATHIC INFANTILE SCOLIOSIS. SIERRA IS NOW DOWN TO 17 DEGREES

IN HER 3RD CAST & DOING GREAT. I WOULD NOT WAIT ANOTHER DAY! THE CASTING HIS

HARD AT TIMES ESPECIALLY IN THE HEAT & HUMIDITY BUT VERY DOABLE! FROM WHAT I

CAN UNDERSTAND THE BRACE DOES NOT CORRECT. I AM NO DOCTOR BUT I AM PLEASED WITH

THE CASTING! FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE SCOLIOSIS WILL PROGRESS!

> ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME!

> KRISTI D. JONES MOMMY TO SIERRA 16 MO. 3RD CAST 34 DEGREES DOWN TO 17 DEGREES

IN CAST!

> CASTED WITH DR, K IN BIRMINGHAM, AL. CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL 4TH CAST SCHEDULED

FOR OCT. 22ND.....HOPING FOR LOW #'S!!!

>

> From:

> Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 11:25 AM

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Subject: New with Questions

>

>

>

> Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've

been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings,

micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food

allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

>

> The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story

short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper

lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say " Does

he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a second set because they were

not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up

set was done on Feb 28.

>

anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group for

quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the

infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports

and both indicated it!

>

> In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*.

We followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we

saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a

jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from now.

>

> I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is

hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones

(ie crawling, walking).

>

> Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I

feel as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend

treatment until a COBB of 30*.

>

brace because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it

from worsening.

>

opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

>

> Thanks!!

>

I concur with NOT WAITING! My son Logan was casted at 9 months old (45 degree) and is doing incredible! He would "army crawl" on his belly with the cast (which seemed harder to us...but he glided across the floor faster than I could get to him!lol!) That eventually turned into all 4 crawling...and he learned to walk IN the cast. He hit all the milestones just fine. Your little one will astonish you on how much they can accomplish with so many "extras" to deal with. I was worried about his curve as well as all the baby dev milestones as well---I mean spine being priority----but you worry about things like that because they are so small. Logan has done very well now. We are located in NC but travel to the shriners in SC. Logan's curve was the worse at 45 and he is casted at 0 right

now. We are in our 3rd cast---getting our 4th this wed. He has a rotation as well (degree I dont know).

This group is incredible and will dive in on any questions that you have. But PLEASE dont go down the "wait and see" road.

Logan's mama (45 down to 0 in 3rd cast, 14 months old)

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 12:25:24 PMSubject: New with Questions

....I forgot to add...Logan also had a helmet (because of a flat spot...due to the scoliosis---he loved to trun to the right). So a helmet and cast can coinside and Logan did just fine! (He was our little football player =0)

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 12:25:24 PMSubject: New with Questions

First of all welcome to CAST. This group will become your life line. We all are here for each other so please don't hold back on any questions you may have. Second please please don't except the "wait and see game". I would call this week and start the process to get a Mehta trained Dr.'s opinion. I'm not sure where you are but we travel 5 hrs to Shriners in Greenville Sc from Va. I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.Amy J mom to Allie(4) in 5th cast down to 14* from 56*Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "" <laura.fiegel@...>Sender: infantile scoliosis treatment Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:04:40 +0000<infantile scoliosis treatment >Reply infantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: New with Questions Kristy thanks for this info! Nobody has ever given me an RVAD measurement.He had a brain MRI at 4 months old (4.19.10) because his head measurements jumped from 50-90% --- everything appeared normal (his head is presently off the charts).His head is flat on the right side. I am definitely going to email you because I would love to contact Dr. K. And Birmingham is only 5 hours away!Thanks again :)>> HELLO! WELCOME TO CAST! I NOTICED MY DAUGHTER SIERRA'S LEFT CURVE AT 9 MO. JUST AROUND THIS PAST CHRISTMAS! AT HER CHECK UP THE PED. DID NOT NOTICE & FORGOT TO POINT IT OUT! WELL, IT JUST STARTED TO BOTHER ME SO I TOOK HER BACK IN. I KNEW & HAD THAT GUT FEELING SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT. WE HAVE A 3 YR. OLD NAMED SUMMER ALSO. WELL, AS SOON AS I POINTED OUT HER CURVE TO HER PED. HER FACE TURNED WHITE AS A SHEET...THIS IS A FAMILY FRIEND ALSO. WE STRAIGHT FOR X-RAYS THAT DAY. BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME (20 MIN) DRIVE THE PED. CALLED AND SAID SIERRA HAS SCOLIOSIS????? I WAS LIKE WHAT???? NO ONE IN THIS AREA HAD EVER SEEN IT IN AN INFANT. WE LIVE ON THE GULF COAST OF ALABAMA. THEY WANTED US TO WAIT ABOUT 3 WEEKS TO GO SEE AN ORTHO PED. IN MOBILE ALABAMA ABOUT MAYBE BRACING!!!! I SAID NO WAY I'M WAITING 3 WEEKS. I CAME HOME GOT ON LINE FOUND ISOP & TALKED TO HEATHER ON THE PHONE THAT DAY. I RESEARCHED LIKE A WILD WOMEN TO FIND A WAY TO CORRECT SIERRA'S CURVE. I FOUND A MEHTATRAINED CASTING DR. IN BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA. DR. K. NO ONE AROUND HERE EBEN KNEW HOW TO MEASURE HER CURVE. TALK ABOUT FREAKING OUT. PED. SUGGESTED WE SEND X-RAY PIC'S. I SAID NO!!!! I WANT IN TO SEE DR. K NOW. WE SAW DR. K 1 WEEK LATER. SIERRA HAD A 34 DEGREE CURVE. DR. K SAID ANYTHING OVER 20 DEGREES WAS CONSIDERED PROGRESSIVE. SHE HAD HER 1ST CAST THE DAY AFTER HER 12 MO. B'DAY. HER RVAD WAS 25 ALSO. WE ARE NOW ON OUR 3RD CAST...JUST GOT IT JULY 12TH. SIERRA HAD A BRAIN & SPINE MRI. EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL. SHE HAS IDIOPATHIC INFANTILE SCOLIOSIS. SIERRA IS NOW DOWN TO 17 DEGREES IN HER 3RD CAST & DOING GREAT. I WOULD NOT WAIT ANOTHER DAY! THE CASTING HIS HARD AT TIMES ESPECIALLY IN THE HEAT & HUMIDITY BUT VERY DOABLE! FROM WHAT I CAN UNDERSTAND THE BRACE DOES NOT CORRECT. I AM NO DOCTOR BUT I AM PLEASED WITH THE CASTING! FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE SCOLIOSIS WILL PROGRESS!> ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME!> KRISTI D. JONES MOMMY TO SIERRA 16 MO. 3RD CAST 34 DEGREES DOWN TO 17 DEGREES IN CAST!> CASTED WITH DR, K IN BIRMINGHAM, AL. CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL 4TH CAST SCHEDULED FOR OCT. 22ND.....HOPING FOR LOW #'S!!! > > From: > Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 11:25 AM> infantile scoliosis treatment > Subject: New with Questions> > > > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.> > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say " Does he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a second set because they were not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up set was done on Feb 28. > > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group for quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports and both indicated it!> > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from now.> > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones (ie crawling, walking).> > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I feel as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend treatment until a COBB of 30*.> > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a brace because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from worsening.> > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.> > Thanks!!>

Hi ,

Welcome to CAST! You have got some great advice so far. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know you have come to the right place. Feel free to ask any and all questions as they come to mind. You will gain so much knowledge from MOMS! No, none of us are doctors and the knowledge you will gain here is all from our own personal experiences, but to me that is the best. It will allow you to totally relate to others going through the same thing.

I see you are from Louisiana. Where abouts? I have family all over.

TashaMommy of 5 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, Texas is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital in Dallas, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months followed by bracing since September 2007You can read 's story at.... http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 11:52:46 AMSubject: Re: New with Questions

Sorry - I didn't even realize that I skimmed over some of that. Both doctors said from looking at his x-rays, they can rule out congenital. Dr. F (the recent doc) said he saw no indications of a hemi-vertebra.So for now, I am guessing I have to accept the "wait and see" mode? Do you know more about casting? Does your child have to be at some sort of magical number?We live in Louisiana.Thanks!!>> Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?> > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs. > idiopathic?> > Sorry for more questions rather than answers. But it all does matter in

the > long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks old) > and it was visible at birth. We had to do the "wait and see" until she was > about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even our current doctor > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery to > remove her hemi-vertebra.> > Keep us posted.>  > Jane> Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!> > > > > ________________________________> From: <laura.fiegel@...>> infantile scoliosis treatment > Sent: Mon,

August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM> Subject: New with Questions> > Â > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.> > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say "Does > he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they were > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up > set was done on Feb 28. > > > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the

radiology reports said > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group for > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports > and both indicated it!> > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We > followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from now.> > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones > (ie crawling, walking).> > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve

is progressing. I feel > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend > treatment until a COBB of 30*.> > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a brace > because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from > worsening.> > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.> > Thanks!!>

Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?

> >

> > Where are you located?  Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?

> >

> > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs.

> > idiopathic?

> >

> > Sorry for more questions rather than answers.  But it all does matter in

the

> > long run.  My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks

old)

> >

> > and it was visible at birth.  We had to do the " wait and

see "  until she

> >was

> >

> > about 18 months.  By that point she was in the 40's.  Even our

> >current doctor

> >

> > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she

> > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a

surgery

> >to

> >

> > remove her hemi-vertebra.

> >

> > Keep us posted.

> >  

> > Jane

> > Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > From: <laura.fiegel@>

> > infantile scoliosis treatment

> > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM

> > Subject: New with Questions

> >

> >  

> > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis.

We've

>

> > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings,

> > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food

> > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

> >

> > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story

> > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right

upper

> >

> > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say

> > " Does

> >

> > he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a second set because they

were

>

> > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a

follow-up

> >

> > set was done on Feb 28.

> >

> >

> > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said

> > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group

> >for

> >

> > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the

> > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the

reports

> > and both indicated it!

> >

> > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*.

We

> >

> > followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week

we

> > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we

saw a

> >

> > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from

> now.

> >

> > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is

> > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental

milestones

> >

> > (ie crawling, walking).

> >

> > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I

> >feel

> >

> > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend

> > treatment until a COBB of 30*.

> >

> > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a

> >brace

> >

> > because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it

from

> > worsening.

> >

> > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd

> > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

> >

> > Thanks!!

> >

>

Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?

> >

> > Where are you located?  Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?

> >

> > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs.

> > idiopathic?

> >

> > Sorry for more questions rather than answers.  But it all does matter in

the

> > long run.  My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks

old)

> >

> > and it was visible at birth.  We had to do the " wait and

see "  until she

> >was

> >

> > about 18 months.  By that point she was in the 40's.  Even our

> >current doctor

> >

> > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she

> > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a

surgery

> >to

> >

> > remove her hemi-vertebra.

> >

> > Keep us posted.

> >  

> > Jane

> > Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > From: <laura.fiegel@>

> > infantile scoliosis treatment

> > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM

> > Subject: New with Questions

> >

> >  

> > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis.

We've

>

> > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings,

> > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food

> > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

> >

> > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story

> > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right

upper

> >

> > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say

> > " Does

> >

> > he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a second set because they

were

>

> > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a

follow-up

> >

> > set was done on Feb 28.

> >

> >

> > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said

> > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group

> >for

> >

> > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the

> > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the

reports

> > and both indicated it!

> >

> > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*.

We

> >

> > followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week

we

> > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we

saw a

> >

> > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from

> now.

> >

> > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is

> > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental

milestones

> >

> > (ie crawling, walking).

> >

> > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I

> >feel

> >

> > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend

> > treatment until a COBB of 30*.

> >

> > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a

> >brace

> >

> > because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it

from

> > worsening.

> >

> > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd

> > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

> >

> > Thanks!!

> >

>

I can be very long winded when I start talking about my son and his heath issues. I'll try to get right to the point. First, you are your sons only advocate and he is counting on you. This is something that I tell my self on a daily basis. I never believed this until I became a mom, but you really do have a 6th sense when it comes to your child. Use it, I know I did and still do. No exaggeration I have gone through 5 pediatricians 6 ophthalmologist, 6 orthopedist and 5 neurologist. I know it sounds crazy but to be honest I would have kept going if my sons current drs. weren't on the same page as me. Don't feel funny getting a second or third opinion. You have every right to do that. My sons first pediatrician made me come to the realization that you "mom" knows best. For example, I kept telling her that my son never looks to the right. She told me most babies favor one side. Well, by 3 months 's head started to become

flat. Her answer was once he starts to look to the right his head will round out. In that moment I listened to the voice inside my head telling me "to get a second opinion and just because she's a dr doesn't mean she knows everything." Within the first 5 minutes of meeting the second dr. he told me my son had severe torticollis and that he would need to see a physical thatrapist. The first time I met with the pt she suggested would be needing a helmet to round out his head. Scary right?

I could go on and on with the wrong and misguided information that I've received from people in the medical community. If anything good can come out of my experience with what my husband and myself have gone through between getting a diagnosis and treating the symptoms(scoliosis,strabismus,hypotonia,delayed speech,reflexes) It would have to be helping other parents realize that they know what is best for their child. For example, I had five orthopedist tell me my son would grow out of the scoliosis. O really is that why he's been in a cast for a year! God knows how much longer. These drs. weren't at some bobo hospital some were at Children's hospital of Philadelphia and some were at Dupont in Delaware. My point is if I didn't keep researching and voicing my concerns I would of never found out about Mheta casting. Once I learned about the Mheta casting, it was a no brain-er.(found ISOP through google search

of infintile scoliosis) My only regret was not knowing about it sooner. I think it's absurd that a Dr. told you to wait until it measures 30*. That is considered moderate scoliosis not mild! Also, my son was braced prior to casting for 6 months and his curve still progressed. Again, if I knew about the casting before bracing I would of had my son in one hand and my plane ticket in the other.

Don't wait for the curve to get worse! You are unbelievably lucky/fortunate that you found out about Mheta casting while your son is so young. You have no idea of what I would of done to have been given the opportunity to cast my son when he was that young.

I wish you the best! And remember everyone on this site knows what you are going through. We all know it's a long road and a road you weren't planning on going down. If you need to talk feel free to call me. (cell )856 466-3564 (home) 856 589-9498

Jen~'s mom age 2 1/2 (40* down from 52* 0* in cast. SLS)

I can be very long winded when I start talking about my son and his heath issues. I'll try to get right to the point. First, you are your sons only advocate and he is counting on you. This is something that I tell my self on a daily basis. I never believed this until I became a mom, but you really do have a 6th sense when it comes to your child. Use it, I know I did and still do. No exaggeration I have gone through 5 pediatricians 6 ophthalmologist, 6 orthopedist and 5 neurologist. I know it sounds crazy but to be honest I would have kept going if my sons current drs. weren't on the same page as me. Don't feel funny getting a second or third opinion. You have every right to do that. My sons first pediatrician made me come to the realization that you "mom" knows best. For example, I kept telling her that my son never looks to the right. She told me most babies favor one side. Well, by 3 months 's head started to become

flat. Her answer was once he starts to look to the right his head will round out. In that moment I listened to the voice inside my head telling me "to get a second opinion and just because she's a dr doesn't mean she knows everything." Within the first 5 minutes of meeting the second dr. he told me my son had severe torticollis and that he would need to see a physical thatrapist. The first time I met with the pt she suggested would be needing a helmet to round out his head. Scary right?

I could go on and on with the wrong and misguided information that I've received from people in the medical community. If anything good can come out of my experience with what my husband and myself have gone through between getting a diagnosis and treating the symptoms(scoliosis,strabismus,hypotonia,delayed speech,reflexes) It would have to be helping other parents realize that they know what is best for their child. For example, I had five orthopedist tell me my son would grow out of the scoliosis. O really is that why he's been in a cast for a year! God knows how much longer. These drs. weren't at some bobo hospital some were at Children's hospital of Philadelphia and some were at Dupont in Delaware. My point is if I didn't keep researching and voicing my concerns I would of never found out about Mheta casting. Once I learned about the Mheta casting, it was a no brain-er.(found ISOP through google search

of infintile scoliosis) My only regret was not knowing about it sooner. I think it's absurd that a Dr. told you to wait until it measures 30*. That is considered moderate scoliosis not mild! Also, my son was braced prior to casting for 6 months and his curve still progressed. Again, if I knew about the casting before bracing I would of had my son in one hand and my plane ticket in the other.

Don't wait for the curve to get worse! You are unbelievably lucky/fortunate that you found out about Mheta casting while your son is so young. You have no idea of what I would of done to have been given the opportunity to cast my son when he was that young.

I wish you the best! And remember everyone on this site knows what you are going through. We all know it's a long road and a road you weren't planning on going down. If you need to talk feel free to call me. (cell )856 466-3564 (home) 856 589-9498

Jen~'s mom age 2 1/2 (40* down from 52* 0* in cast. SLS)

Sulphur, Lake , Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

Someone else from LA just joined the other day. Tame is her name, but I can't remember where she is from.

It sounds as if we need a Mehta trained doctor in the state of Louisiana. To the best of my knowledge there is not one......please someone correct me if I am wrong. TashaMommy of 5 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, Texas is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital in Dallas, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months followed by bracing since September 2007You can read 's story at.... http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 1:11:22 PMSubject: Re: New with Questions

Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?> >> > Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?> > > > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs. > > idiopathic?> > > > Sorry for more questions

rather than answers. But it all does matter in the > > long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks old) > >> > and it was visible at birth. We had to do the "wait and see" until she > >was > >> > about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even our > >current doctor > >> > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she > > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery > >to > >> > remove her hemi-vertebra.> > > > Keep us posted.> >  > > Jane> > Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!> > > > > > > > > >

________________________________> > From: <laura.fiegel@>> > infantile scoliosis treatment > > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM> > Subject: New with Questions> > > >  > > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've > > > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, > > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food > > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.> > > > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story > > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper >

>> > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say > >"Does > >> > he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they were > > > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up > >> > set was done on Feb 28. > > > > > > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said > > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group > >for > >> > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the > > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports > > and both indicated it!> > > > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We > >> >

followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we > > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a > >> > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from > now.> > > > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is > > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones > >> > (ie crawling, walking).> > > > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I > >feel > >> > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend > > treatment until a COBB of 30*.> > > > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a > >brace > >> > because it

won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from > > worsening.> > > > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd > > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.> > > > Thanks!!> >>

Hi , I just wanted to welcome you and concur with not waiting! Waiting makes the treatment longer and much more difficult in the long run. You are doing the right thing! Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)From: Medlin <amanda.medlin@...>To:

infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 10:07:20 AMSubject: Re: New with Questions

I concur with NOT WAITING! My son Logan was casted at 9 months old (45 degree) and is doing incredible! He would "army crawl" on his belly with the cast (which seemed harder to us...but he glided across the floor faster than I could get to him!lol!) That eventually turned into all 4 crawling...and he learned to walk IN the cast. He hit all the milestones just fine. Your little one will astonish you on how much they can accomplish with so many "extras" to deal with. I was worried about his curve as well as all the baby dev milestones as well---I mean spine being priority----but you worry about things like that because they are so small. Logan has done very well now. We are located in NC but travel to the shriners in SC. Logan's curve was the worse at 45 and he is casted at 0 right

now. We are in our 3rd cast---getting our 4th this wed. He has a rotation as well (degree I dont know).

This group is incredible and will dive in on any questions that you have. But PLEASE dont go down the "wait and see" road.

Logan's mama (45 down to 0 in 3rd cast, 14 months old)

, I'm from New Orleans- we lived in the city and just across the lake in Folsom/Covington. My Mom is still living there. We live in Los Angeles, now. Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)From: Tasha Fontenot <ryanswalk@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 12:35:03 PMSubject: Re: Re: New with Questions

Someone else from LA just joined the other day. Tame is her name, but I can't remember where she is from.

It sounds as if we need a Mehta trained doctor in the state of Louisiana. To the best of my knowledge there is not one......please someone correct me if I am wrong. TashaMommy of 5 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, Texas is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital in Dallas, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months followed by bracing since September 2007You can read 's story at.... http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html

From: <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 1:11:22 PMSubject: Re: New with Questions

Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?> >> > Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?> > > > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs. > > idiopathic?> > > > Sorry for more

questions

rather than answers. But it all does matter in the > > long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks old) > >> > and it was visible at birth. We had to do the "wait and see" until she > >was > >> > about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even our > >current doctor > >> > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she > > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery > >to > >> > remove her hemi-vertebra.> > > > Keep us posted.> >  > > Jane> > Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!> > > > > > > > > >

________________________________> > From: <laura.fiegel@>> > infantile scoliosis treatment > > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM> > Subject: New with Questions> > > >  > > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've > > > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, > > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food > > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.> > > > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story > > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper >

>> > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say > >"Does > >> > he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they were > > > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up > >> > set was done on Feb 28. > > > > > > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said > > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group > >for > >> > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the > > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports > > and both indicated it!> > > > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*. We > >> >

followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week we > > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw a > >> > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from > now.> > > > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is > > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental milestones > >> > (ie crawling, walking).> > > > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I > >feel > >> > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend > > treatment until a COBB of 30*.> > > > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a > >brace > >> > because it

won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it from > > worsening.> > > > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd > > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.> > > > Thanks!!> >>

My ILs live in Mandeville. We lived in Ponchatoula for the last 5yrs (as Katrina

evacuees) and moved back to the southshore in May. That's a big move to LA! My

friend lives in LA - Hollywood Hills (I think - they're finishing

building right now)... do you love it there?

NIck Guthe <nickguthe@...> wrote:

>, I'm from New Orleans- we lived in the city and just across the lake in

>Folsom/Covington. My Mom is still living there. We live in Los Angeles, now.

>

> Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners,

>currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)

>

>

>

>

>________________________________

>From: Tasha Fontenot <ryanswalk@...>

>infantile scoliosis treatment

>Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 12:35:03 PM

>Subject: Re: Re: New with Questions

>

>

>Sulphur, Lake , Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

>Someone else from LA just joined the other day. Tame is her name, but I can't

>remember where she is from.

>It sounds as if we need a Mehta trained doctor in the state of Louisiana. To

>the best of my knowledge there is not one......please someone correct me if I

am

>wrong. Tasha

>Mommy of 5 year old twin boys- and

>Fort Worth, Texas

> is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital in Dallas, Texas

>Series of 6 casts for 14 months followed by bracing since September 2007

>You can read 's story at.... http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 1:11:22 PM

>Subject: Re: New with Questions

>

>

>Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?

>

>

>> >

>> > Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a

Shriner's?

>> >

>> > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs.

>> > idiopathic?

>> >

>> > Sorry for more questions rather than answers. But it all does

matter in

>>the

>>

>> > long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6

weeks

>>old)

>>

>> >

>> > and it was visible at birth. We had to do the

" wait and

>>see "  until she

>>

>> >was

>> >

>> > about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even

our

>> >current doctor

>> >

>> > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she

>> > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a

surgery

>>

>> >to

>> >

>> > remove her hemi-vertebra.

>> >

>> > Keep us posted.

>> > ÂÂ

>> > Jane

>> > Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > ________________________________

>> > From: <laura.fiegel@>

>> > infantile scoliosis treatment

>> > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM

>> > Subject: New with Questions

>> >

>> > ÂÂ

>> > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis.

>>We've

>>

>>

>> > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings,

>> > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food

>> > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

>> >

>> > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story

>> > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right

>>upper

>>

>> >

>> > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say

>> > " Does

>> >

>> > he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a second set because they

>>were

>>

>>

>> > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a

>>follow-up

>>

>> >

>> > set was done on Feb 28.

>> >

>> >

>> > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said

>> > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi

group

>

>> >for

>> >

>> > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the

>> > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the

reports

>>

>> > and both indicated it!

>> >

>> > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was

19*.

>>We

>>

>> >

>> > followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week

>>we

>>

>> > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we

saw

>>a

>>

>> >

>> > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from

>> now.

>> >

>> > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is

>> > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental

>>milestones

>>

>> >

>> > (ie crawling, walking).

>> >

>> > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I

>> >feel

>> >

>> > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend

>> > treatment until a COBB of 30*.

>> >

>> > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a

>> >brace

>> >

>> > because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it

>>from

>>

>> > worsening.

>> >

>> > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd

>> > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

>> >

>> > Thanks!!

>> >

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Mandeville- Yep, that is my area- right next to Covington. We do love L.A.- I moved out here by myself at age 18. I'm so sorry that you went through Katrina and now have to deal with this, but so glad you found this group! This is a wonderful group pf parents, I have made a lot of friends here and it has truly been a lifeline. Feel free to ask me anything. Bexon's story is on a website BreezyMama.com on the left side of the home page, under popular posts, just click on Crooked Love. It has some photos, too. Bex is also the child in the video on the ISOP home page- that's my sweet boy : ) Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)From: R. Fiegel <laura.fiegel@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 1:04:38 PMSubject: Re: Re: New with Questions

My ILs live in Mandeville. We lived in Ponchatoula for the last 5yrs (as Katrina evacuees) and moved back to the southshore in May. That's a big move to LA! My friend lives in LA - Hollywood Hills (I think - they're finishing building right now)... do you love it there?

NIck Guthe <nickguthe@...> wrote:

>, I'm from New Orleans- we lived in the city and just across the lake in

>Folsom/Covington. My Mom is still living there. We live in Los Angeles, now.

>

> Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners,

>currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast)

>

>

>

>

>From: Tasha Fontenot <ryanswalk@...>

>Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 12:35:03 PM

>Subject: Re: Re: New with Questions

>

>

>Sulphur, Lake , Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

>Someone else from LA just joined the other day. Tame is her name, but I can't

>remember where she is from.

>It sounds as if we need a Mehta trained doctor in the state of Louisiana. To

>the best of my knowledge there is not one......please someone correct me if I am

>wrong. Tasha

>Mommy of 5 year old twin boys- and

>Fort Worth, Texas

> is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital in Dallas, Texas

>Series of 6 casts for 14 months followed by bracing since September 2007

>You can read 's story at.... http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 1:11:22 PM

>Subject: Re: New with Questions

>

>

>Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?

>

>

>> >

>> > Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?

>> >

>> > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs.

>> > idiopathic?

>> >

>> > Sorry for more questions rather than answers. But it all does matter in

>>the

>>

>> > long run. My daughter was born with congenital scoliosis (23* at 6 weeks

>>old)

>>

>> >

>> > and it was visible at birth. We had to do the "wait and

>>see" until she

>>

>> >was

>> >

>> > about 18 months. By that point she was in the 40's. Even our

>> >current doctor

>> >

>> > (and we love him to death) said he wouldn't have done anything until she

>> > progressed above 30*, and nothing other than a brace before she had a surgery

>>

>> >to

>> >

>> > remove her hemi-vertebra.

>> >

>> > Keep us posted.

>> > ÂÂ

>> > Jane

>> > Grace, 4 yrs old in 2 weeks!

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > ________________________________

>> > From: <laura.fiegel@>

>> > infantile scoliosis treatment

>> > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM

>> > Subject: New with Questions

>> >

>> > ÂÂ

>> > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis.

>>We've

>>

>>

>> > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings,

>> > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food

>> > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

>> >

>> > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story

>> > short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for right

>>upper

>>

>> >

>> > lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I overheard one say

>> >"Does

>> >

>> > he have scoliosis?" They said they needed to do a second set because they

>>were

>>

>>

>> > not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays were taken on Feb 26 and a

>>follow-up

>>

>> >

>> > set was done on Feb 28.

>> >

>> >

>> > At his 3 month visit with his pedi, I asked if the radiology reports said

>> > anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi group

>

>> >for

>> >

>> > quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the right of the

>> > infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He pulled the reports

>>

>> > and both indicated it!

>> >

>> > In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was 19*.

>>We

>>

>> >

>> > followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This past week

>>we

>>

>> > saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F said that if we saw

>>a

>>

>> >

>> > jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see another jump 3 months from

>> now.

>> >

>> > I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he is

>> > hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental

>>milestones

>>

>> >

>> > (ie crawling, walking).

>> >

>> > Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing. I

>> >feel

>> >

>> > as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither recommend

>> > treatment until a COBB of 30*.

>> >

>> > I know that his bones are still pliable. I really don't love the idea of a

>> >brace

>> >

>> > because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to prevent it

>>from

>>

>> > worsening.

>> >

>> > Any advice?? I just don't know what to ask doctors, if I should seek a 3rd

>> > opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

>> >

>> > Thanks!!

>> >

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I am from Baldwin LA. : ) which is very rural! Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 23, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Tasha Fontenot <ryanswalk@...> wrote:

Thanks! We are 10ish minutes outside of New Orleans :) Where is your family?> >> > Where are you located? Can you get another opinion at a Shriner's?> > > > Have you discussed an MRI to ruleout the scoliosis being congenital vs. > >

idiopathic?> > > > Sorry for more questions

________________________________> > From: <laura.fiegel@>> > infantile scoliosis treatment > > Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 9:25:24 AM> > Subject: New with Questions> > > >  > > Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis. We've > > > been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with feedings, > > micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected food > > allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.> > > > The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long story > > short - upon confirmation from chest

x-rays he was hospitalized for right upper >

Hi ,

Glad you found us! Welcome to CAST! Please go to the FILES section of

this group to read a published, medical journal titled " Growth as a

corrective force in the Early Treatment of progressive infantile

scoliosis, " by Mehta. The New direction DVD is helpful, as well. Other

than that, I know you will get solid, reliable info from this group.

You're on the right track.

Please inform Pierces current docs that he should pass all developmental

milestones in a properly applied series of EDF/Mehta casts and that the

goal now is to harness his growth and train his young spine to grow

straight, gently & permanently. Infants & young children only have a

window of time to be corrected by Early Treatment w/ EDF/Mehta serial

casting and any more delay could result in missing the window. Pat

yourself on the back for being on top of it.

HRH

> Hi, I am and my 8 month old son, Pierce, has idiopathic scoliosis.

> We've been through quite a bit with him - some blue episodes with

> feedings, micro-aspirating, severe GERD, milk protein allergy, suspected

> food allergies/sensitivities and scoliosis.

>

> The first time we were made semi-aware of it was at 9 weeks old. Long

> story short - upon confirmation from chest x-rays he was hospitalized for

> right upper lobe pneumonia. While the techs were doing the x-rays, I

> overheard one say " Does he have scoliosis? " They said they needed to do a

> second set because they were not satisfied with the first. Those x-rays

> were taken on Feb 26 and a follow-up set was done on Feb 28.

>

> anything about scoliosis (mind you I had been pointing out to our pedi

> group for quite some time my concern with his hips/legs pointing to the

> right of the infant carrier - it was dismissed as just positioning). He

> pulled the reports and both indicated it!

>

> In late March, I took him to ortho #1 (Dr. W). His COBB measurement was

> 19*. We followed-up in early June and his COBB measurement was 20*. This

> past week we saw ortho #2 (Dr. F). His COBB measurement was 24*. Dr. F

> said that if we saw a jump inside of 2 months we will most likely see

> another jump 3 months from now.

>

> I asked what the next step would be and he said to brace him. He said he

> is hesitant to brace because Pierce is about to hit major developmental

> milestones (ie crawling, walking).

>

> Is it foolish of me to be worried seeing as how his curve is progressing.

> I feel as though both orthos have kind of dismissed my worries. Neither

> recommend treatment until a COBB of 30*.

>

> brace because it won't correct his curve, it will merely attempt to

> prevent it from worsening.

>

> opinion, etc. I am very frustrated.

>

> Thanks!!

>

>

• 3 weeks later...

>

> Hi,

>

> My name is Lya. I have already responded to a few posts but this is the first

time I am officially introducing myself. I am happy to be a part of this

group.

+++Hi Lya. We are happy you are part of our group too!

>

> I have a few questions:

>

> 1) My three year old daughter has chronically chapped lips. Could you tell me

the cause and is there something I can do to remedy this situation? I checked

the candida symptoms list and chapped lips was not listed as one of the

symptoms.

+++Chapped lips, and any other kinds of abnormal skin reactions, are toxins

coming out. There are many toxins your daughter could have gotten on her lips

and in her mouth, including toothpaste, so those toxins need to come out. Of

course it is important that she eats healthy so her body is better able to

detoxify and heal itself.

>

> 2) If a vegetable has become moldy in one part but the rest looks OK, can you

just cut the moldy part off and eat the rest or has the entire vegetable become,

so to speak, " contaminated " ?

+++Usually you can cut off the mold and the rest will be okay.

>

> 3) My daughter and I tried the BED diet a while ago before coming here and she

loves the fermented coconut drink. Would it be OK to give it to her on this

program too?

+++Any coconut, other than the oil, contains too much natural sugar, and

fermenting it also produces alcohol.

All the best, Bee

Hi Bee,

Thank you for your answers. I have some more questions.

Is it detrimental to your health to eat late at night? If so what is the

latest one can eat? And is there a special requirement for healthy late

eating, like veggies being better than meat/protein at night?

Also, my daughter who is almost three and a half has a speech delay. She has

trouble having back and forth conversations with people. Will the diet

resolve this or does she need therapy too?

Thanks,

Lya

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Bee <beeisbuzzing2003@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> >

> > Hi,

> >

> > My name is Lya. I have already responded to a few posts but this is the

> first time I am officially introducing myself. I am happy to be a part of

> this group.

>

> +++Hi Lya. We are happy you are part of our group too!

>

> >

> > I have a few questions:

> >

> > 1) My three year old daughter has chronically chapped lips. Could you

> tell me the cause and is there something I can do to remedy this situation?

> I checked the candida symptoms list and chapped lips was not listed as one

> of the symptoms.

>

> +++Chapped lips, and any other kinds of abnormal skin reactions, are toxins

> coming out. There are many toxins your daughter could have gotten on her

> lips and in her mouth, including toothpaste, so those toxins need to come

> out. Of course it is important that she eats healthy so her body is better

> able to detoxify and heal itself.

>

> >

> > 2) If a vegetable has become moldy in one part but the rest looks OK, can

> you just cut the moldy part off and eat the rest or has the entire vegetable

> become, so to speak, " contaminated " ?

>

> +++Usually you can cut off the mold and the rest will be okay.

>

> >

> > 3) My daughter and I tried the BED diet a while ago before coming here

> and she loves the fermented coconut drink. Would it be OK to give it to her

> on this program too?

>

> +++Any coconut, other than the oil, contains too much natural sugar, and

> fermenting it also produces alcohol.

>

> All the best, Bee

>

>

>

Hi Lya,

My son has a speech delay, too. He was 3.5 when he started Bee's diet and went

from two word utterances to full sentences within a month! Having said that, he

still gets speech therapy.

He's now 5.5 and has both grammar and pronunciation problems, but he is also

bilingual. In my experience, both diet and therapy are required.

Hope that helps!

(a group moderator)

> > >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > My name is Lya. I have already responded to a few posts but this is the

> > first time I am officially introducing myself. I am happy to be a part of

> > this group.

> >

> > +++Hi Lya. We are happy you are part of our group too!

> >

> > >

> > > I have a few questions:

> > >

> > > 1) My three year old daughter has chronically chapped lips. Could you

> > tell me the cause and is there something I can do to remedy this situation?

> > I checked the candida symptoms list and chapped lips was not listed as one

> > of the symptoms.

> >

> > +++Chapped lips, and any other kinds of abnormal skin reactions, are toxins

> > coming out. There are many toxins your daughter could have gotten on her

> > lips and in her mouth, including toothpaste, so those toxins need to come

> > out. Of course it is important that she eats healthy so her body is better

> > able to detoxify and heal itself.

> >

> > >

> > > 2) If a vegetable has become moldy in one part but the rest looks OK, can

> > you just cut the moldy part off and eat the rest or has the entire vegetable

> > become, so to speak, " contaminated " ?

> >

> > +++Usually you can cut off the mold and the rest will be okay.

> >

> > >

> > > 3) My daughter and I tried the BED diet a while ago before coming here

> > and she loves the fermented coconut drink. Would it be OK to give it to her

> > on this program too?

> >

> > +++Any coconut, other than the oil, contains too much natural sugar, and

> > fermenting it also produces alcohol.

> >

> > All the best, Bee

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

> Hi Bee,

>

> Thank you for your answers. I have some more questions.

>

> Is it detrimental to your health to eat late at night? If so what is the

> latest one can eat? And is there a special requirement for healthy late

> eating, like veggies being better than meat/protein at night?

+++Hi Lya,

Digesting foods can interfere with sleep so it is advised that you eat 3 hours

before bedtime. If you must eat later than that a poached egg digest more

easily. Do not have the good fats too close to bedtime since they increase

energy for some time and can interfere with going to sleep.

Bee