RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Back surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, in the book the authors do say that about 1 in 200 people with chronic back pain are actually candidates for surgery. Of course, I immediately told myself, Yep--that's me! By the time I finished the book I wasn't so sure. By then I had started the MBSR classes & by the second class my pain level was down to what it had been for 20 years, and I knew I didn't need surgery. I also had the epidural steroid injections. The first one helped quite a bit for about a month; I had 3 more that were pretty useless. I also had a provocative (I think that's what it was called) discogram. They stick a needle in the disc to see if they can produce the same pain you've had, to confirm that the pain is coming from the disc & not something else. 2 of the discs tested positive; the 3rd one was inconclusive because when he got the needle anywhere near it, I had horrible leg pain. After 3 tries, we both agreed to stop. So my pain is definitely coming from the discs, but since my worst pain is in my leg, the surgery has a low potential for success. A year or so ago I read about a new micro surgery that is supposed to have a higher success rate with the leg pain. If it ever gets so bad that nothing helps, I may look into that.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you have a doctor who knows what he's doing; he didn't jump right into surgery. I've just seen so many people have surgery without trying other options; usually not even aware of other options. If you know anyone else with chronic neck or back pain, suggest they read Back Sense & try MBSR. I agree with your faith in the Great Physician and the many ways He provides healing.

Ramblin' RoseModerator COLTS STILL ROCK!

> To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:04:16 +0000> Subject: Re: Good News> > Hi Rose,> > Thank you very much for suggesting I take a look at the book on back> sense. On the UK Amazon site, there was a preview, so I had a good look> at the approach that he takes. It makes a lot of sense for many people,> especially those where the issue is down more to muscle pain that will> almost certainly sort itself out. It is one of God's miracles that he> has given us bodies that can repair themselves with time. I am> absolutely sure that He also heals miraculously and spontaneaously - I> have seen that happen with back issues before.> > I have been seeing this particular surgeon now for a couple of years,> on and off, and he has hinted in the past that there will come a time> when work will have to be done. I have had three steroid injections in> the past. In fact, he said that he would have done that again this> time, had I not already been on preds. Looking at the MRI, the spinal> chord at L4/L5 and at L5/S1 is so squished that you cannot make out the> individual nerves, nor is there any fluid in there. One of the> vertibrae is so damaged that the disk has penetrated vertically halfway> up into it.> > I do trust this man and believe that God heals through surgical> intervention as well. To my mind, this is just as much of a miracle as> if He just did it. With the way the MRI looked, I have no doubts that> there is no other way, although I do recognise that there are always> risks involved. Whatever happens, we have a great Protector, who always> has a purpose behind everything that happens to us. Everything works> for the good....> > Best regards,> > > > > , I hope you have gotten good info on risks of the surgery & > > what the odds of success are. I have severe degenerative disc> > disease--all the lumbar & cervical discs & most of thoracic. I have> > stenosis & disc compression causing pretty constant back & left leg> > pain. I almost had surgery a few years ago, but a doctor friend talked> > me into trying MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction) & it eased> > the pain enough to avoid surgery. I actually took classes, but there> > is plenty of info on the Web. I have a friend who's had similar> > problems for years. I didn't know until she had already had the> > surgery or I would have tried to talk her out of it. She had a disc> > decompression, which actually worsened her leg pain. After months of> > suffering & being unable to work more than 3-4 hrs a day, she is> > having more surgery. This time they will remove the disc & fuse her> > spine. This procedure is not always successful, but I hope & pray that> > it is. If your main symptom is back pain, you ha!> > ve a better chance of symptom relief than if leg pain is the big> > problem. In my case I can tolerate the back pain much better than the> > leg pain, so even if I'd had surgery & it helped my back, I'd still be> > in a lot of pain. Seeing what my friend Donna is going thru makes me> > very glad I didn't do it. Now there are some times the surgery is> > vital--if you are having loss of bowel or bladder function, footdrop,> > etc. But that is an emergency situation & they wouldn't wait for> > weeks. It's so tempting to think that you can have surgery & fix the> > problem. Well, that's true for appendicitis, but not back problems.> > The unfortunate thing is that you can always find a surgeon to do it.> > When my surgeon of choice refused because she felt the chance of> > success did not outweigh the risk, I found another surgeon that agreed> > to operate. I'm thankful that my friend talked me out of it. Now I> > have known people that were very happy with the results of back> > surgery, but I know many more who regr!> > etted it. So my unsolicited advice is to do lots of your own research,> > get another opinion (not a doc your surgeon recommends as they are> > likely to have similar philosophies), and get a book called "Back> > Sense." i can't think of the authors, but you can find it on Amazon. I> > got a used copy & have loaned it out to several people. Well, that's> > my story & I'm stickin' to it!> > Re: Good News> >>> >> Thank you very much, Marla. Many thanks also for the encouragement and> >> advice that you and everyone else in the group has given over the past> >> months.> >>> >> Best regards,> >> > >>> >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:35:26 -0700, Marla Bramer > >> wro> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > > > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> > The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > > > > > Message Archives:-> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > > > Members Database:-> > Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > > > >