RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: CellCept and Sick

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Take is as easy as you can. The Cellcept can compromise the immune system which can make it easier for you to get an infection. Please take care. I hope things go ok for you.MattFrom: Sutherland

To: Neurosarcoidosis Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:29 AMSubject: CellCept and Sick

Hi guys,

Well, I've done a week on CellCept, and seem to be tolerating it OK so far. Don't know how my liver is going on it yet - my previous blood test (off Imuran, before CellCept) showed a good improvement in the gamma GT levels (from 479 to 144), I had my latest blood test yesterday, waiting on results ...

Unfortunately I have a bad virus and it's turned into bronchitis, coughing, sore throat, quite sick. I had anti-biotics a few weeks ago (standard treatment when on immune-suppressants if you have a virus), but now I'm on TWO antibiotics at once, and one of them is at 4 times the regular dose :/ If I'm not starting to feel better by tomorrow, my GP wants to see me again, and there was talk of putting me in hospital if I don't improve :( I guess it's fairly serious to get a bacterial infection when your immune system is switched off, not something to muck around with ... blargh.

And I've been brave and made an appointment with a new counsellor, to talk about depression / body image/ chronic illness stuff. I see in a fortnight (2 weeks). Trying to get on top of it all.

:)

> Nearly one week on, has it settled?

>

>> Subject: Re:

>> From: denise@...

>> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:44:29 +1000

>> To: stiks11@...

>>

>> Thanks :) Yes, I hope it works too! Have been getting some fairly mild gastric reactions (diarrhoea etc) but hopefully it will pass.

>>

>> xo :)

>>

>>

>>

>>> Ignore my email, I see you're sorted :)

>>>

>>> Hope the Cellcept is helpful.

>>>

>>> Rach

>>

Guest guest

Thanks Matt. I think I'm getting a bit better from the bronchitis now, thank

goodness, but I'm still making sure I rest up as much as possible. It would help

if I could sleep more (on high pred doses again) ... hopefully in a few weeks

I'll be down to a low enough dose to sleep past 3 am!

xo

>

> Take is as easy as you can. The Cellcept can compromise the immune system

> which can make it easier for you to get an infection. Please take care. I

hope things go ok

> for you.

>

> Matt

>

>

> To: Neurosarcoidosis

> Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:29 AM

> Subject: CellCept and Sick

>

>

> Hi guys,

>

> Well, I've done a week on CellCept, and seem to be tolerating it OK so far.

Don't know how my liver is going on it yet - my previous blood test (off Imuran,

before CellCept) showed a good improvement in the gamma GT levels (from 479 to

144), I had my latest blood test yesterday, waiting on results ...

>

> Unfortunately I have a bad virus and it's turned into bronchitis, coughing,

sore throat, quite sick. I had anti-biotics a few weeks ago (standard treatment

when on immune-suppressants if you have a virus), but now I'm on TWO antibiotics

at once, and one of them is at 4 times the regular dose :/ If I'm not starting

to feel better by tomorrow, my GP wants to see me again, and there was talk of

putting me in hospital if I don't improve :( I guess it's fairly serious to get

a bacterial infection when your immune system is switched off, not something to

muck around with ... blargh.

>

> And I've been brave and made an appointment with a new counsellor, to talk

about depression / body image/ chronic illness stuff. I see in a fortnight (2

weeks). Trying to get on top of it all.

>

> :)

>

>

>

> > Nearly one week on, has it settled?

> >

> >> Subject: Re:

> >> From: denise@...

> >> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:44:29 +1000

> >> To: stiks11@...

> >>

> >> Thanks :) Yes, I hope it works too! Have been getting some fairly mild

gastric reactions (diarrhoea etc) but hopefully it will pass.

> >>

> >> xo :)

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>> Ignore my email, I see you're sorted :)

> >>>

> >>> Hope the Cellcept is helpful.

> >>>

> >>> Rach

> >>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

, I'm glad you are feeling better. I was a little concerned about your previous post, when you said that it was standard to take antibiotics for viral infections. Viral infections don't respond to antibiotics; that's why patients AND doctors are reminded not to use them for the common cold, etc. Colds & bronchitis can develop into bacterial infections (may be more likely to occur when antibiotics are taken inappropriately); the bacterial infections will then need antibiotics. Your doctor may have felt that this was a viral bronchitis to begin with, and that's why the antibiotics were prescribed. I know I sound preachy, but please forgive me! A major reason for the development of drug-resistant bacteria is inappropriate use of antibiotics. Even immune-suppressed folks need to be careful about taking antibiotics unless doctors are certain that it's a bacterial infection. Otherwise, you could find yourself in the scary position of having a drug-resistant bladder, respiratory, or skin infection. Okay, sermon over!

Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22

> To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 09:12:30 +1000> Subject: Re: CellCept and Sick> > Thanks Matt. I think I'm getting a bit better from the bronchitis now, thank goodness, but I'm still making sure I rest up as much as possible. It would help if I could sleep more (on high pred doses again) ... hopefully in a few weeks I'll be down to a low enough dose to sleep past 3 am!> > xo > > > > > > > Take is as easy as you can. The Cellcept can compromise the immune system > > which can make it easier for you to get an infection. Please take care. I hope things go ok > > for you.> > > > Matt> > > > > > To: Neurosarcoidosis > > Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:29 AM> > Subject: CellCept and Sick> > > > > > Hi guys,> > > > Well, I've done a week on CellCept, and seem to be tolerating it OK so far. Don't know how my liver is going on it yet - my previous blood test (off Imuran, before CellCept) showed a good improvement in the gamma GT levels (from 479 to 144), I had my latest blood test yesterday, waiting on results ...> > > > Unfortunately I have a bad virus and it's turned into bronchitis, coughing, sore throat, quite sick. I had anti-biotics a few weeks ago (standard treatment when on immune-suppressants if you have a virus), but now I'm on TWO antibiotics at once, and one of them is at 4 times the regular dose :/ If I'm not starting to feel better by tomorrow, my GP wants to see me again, and there was talk of putting me in hospital if I don't improve :( I guess it's fairly serious to get a bacterial infection when your immune system is switched off, not something to muck around with ... blargh.> > > > And I've been brave and made an appointment with a new counsellor, to talk about depression / body image/ chronic illness stuff. I see in a fortnight (2 weeks). Trying to get on top of it all. > > > > :)> > > > > > > > > Nearly one week on, has it settled?> > > > > >> Subject: Re: > > >> > >> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:44:29 +1000> > >> To: stiks11@...> > >> > > >> Thanks :) Yes, I hope it works too! Have been getting some fairly mild gastric reactions (diarrhoea etc) but hopefully it will pass.> > >> > > >> xo :)> > >> > > >> > > >> > > >>> Ignore my email, I see you're sorted :)> > >>> > > >>> Hope the Cellcept is helpful.> > >>> > > >>> Rach> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

Hi Rose,Oh don't worry, I fully understand the science behind antibiotics, and that it's not a good idea to overprescribe them. Totally agree with all you've said :) It's just that since I've been on immune suppressants my doctors want me to take antibiotics whenever I'm sick, even if it's a virus, because there's a much higher risk of developing a bacterial infection. I only meant that my doctors had said it was standard to have antibiotics for viral infections *when you're on immune-suppressant medication*. I also have an artificial hip, which means I have to be even more vigilant about bacterial infections, sigh, as various types of infections can get into the artificial joint and require massive surgery to clean it all out (removal of the joint, replacement, and IV antibiotics). So they're just being extra careful with me :)xo , I'm glad you are feeling better. I was a little concerned about your previous post, when you said that it was standard to take antibiotics for viral infections. Viral infections don't respond to antibiotics; that's why patients AND doctors are reminded not to use them for the common cold, etc. Colds & bronchitis can develop into bacterial infections (may be more likely to occur when antibiotics are taken inappropriately); the bacterial infections will then need antibiotics. Your doctor may have felt that this was a viral bronchitis to begin with, and that's why the antibiotics were prescribed. I know I sound preachy, but please forgive me! A major reason for the development of drug-resistant bacteria is inappropriate use of antibiotics. Even immune-suppressed folks need to be careful about taking antibiotics unless doctors are certain that it's a bacterial infection. Otherwise, you could find yourself in the scary position of having a drug-resistant bladder, respiratory, or skin infection. Okay, sermon over!Ramblin' RoseCo-owner/Moderator A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22 > To: Neurosarcoidosis > Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 09:12:30 +1000> Subject: Re: CellCept and Sick> > Thanks Matt. I think I'm getting a bit better from the bronchitis now, thank goodness, but I'm still making sure I rest up as much as possible. It would help if I could sleep more (on high pred doses again) ... hopefully in a few weeks I'll be down to a low enough dose to sleep past 3 am!> > xo > > > > > > > Take is as easy as you can. The Cellcept can compromise the immune system > > which can make it easier for you to get an infection. Please take care. I hope things go ok > > for you.> > > > Matt> > > > > > To: Neurosarcoidosis > > Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:29 AM> > Subject: CellCept and Sick> > > > > > Hi guys,> > > > Well, I've done a week on CellCept, and seem to be tolerating it OK so far. Don't know how my liver is going on it yet - my previous blood test (off Imuran, before CellCept) showed a good improvement in the gamma GT levels (from 479 to 144), I had my latest blood test yesterday, waiting on results ...> > > > Unfortunately I have a bad virus and it's turned into bronchitis, coughing, sore throat, quite sick. I had anti-biotics a few weeks ago (standard treatment when on immune-suppressants if you have a virus), but now I'm on TWO antibiotics at once, and one of them is at 4 times the regular dose :/ If I'm not starting to feel better by tomorrow, my GP wants to see me again, and there was talk of putting me in hospital if I don't improve :( I guess it's fairly serious to get a bacterial infection when your immune system is switched off, not something to muck around with ... blargh.> > > > And I've been brave and made an appointment with a new counsellor, to talk about depression / body image/ chronic illness stuff. I see in a fortnight (2 weeks). Trying to get on top of it all. > > > > :)> > > > > > > > > Nearly one week on, has it settled?> > > > > >> Subject: Re: > > >> > >> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:44:29 +1000> > >> To: stiks11@...> > >> > > >> Thanks :) Yes, I hope it works too! Have been getting some fairly mild gastric reactions (diarrhoea etc) but hopefully it will pass.> > >> > > >> xo :)> > >> > > >> > > >> > > >>> Ignore my email, I see you're sorted :)> > >>> > > >>> Hope the Cellcept is helpful.> > >>> > > >>> Rach> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~> The Neurosarcoidosis Community> > > > Message Archives:-> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages> > Members Database:-> Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database > >

Guest guest

And I *did* have bronchitis, in addition to the virus .. . at least the meds

seem to be helping at last, feeling a bit more human today :)

xo

> , I'm glad you are feeling better. I was a little concerned about your

previous post, when you said that it was standard to take antibiotics for viral

infections. Viral infections don't respond to antibiotics; that's why patients

AND doctors are reminded not to use them for the common cold, etc. Colds &

bronchitis can develop into bacterial infections (may be more likely to occur

when antibiotics are taken inappropriately); the bacterial infections will then

need antibiotics. Your doctor may have felt that this was a viral bronchitis to

begin with, and that's why the antibiotics were prescribed. I know I sound

preachy, but please forgive me! A major reason for the development of

drug-resistant bacteria is inappropriate use of antibiotics. Even

immune-suppressed folks need to be careful about taking antibiotics unless

doctors are certain that it's a bacterial infection. Otherwise, you could find

yourself in the scary position of having a drug-resistant bladder, respiratory,

or skin infection. Okay, sermon over!

>

> Ramblin' Rose

> Co-owner/Moderator

>

> A merry heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> > To: Neurosarcoidosis

> > From: denise@...

> > Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 09:12:30 +1000

> > Subject: Re: CellCept and Sick

> >

> > Thanks Matt. I think I'm getting a bit better from the bronchitis now, thank

goodness, but I'm still making sure I rest up as much as possible. It would help

if I could sleep more (on high pred doses again) ... hopefully in a few weeks

I'll be down to a low enough dose to sleep past 3 am!

> >

> > xo

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > > Take is as easy as you can. The Cellcept can compromise the immune system

> > > which can make it easier for you to get an infection. Please take care. I

hope things go ok

> > > for you.

> > >

> > > Matt

> > >

> > >

> > > To: Neurosarcoidosis

> > > Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:29 AM

> > > Subject: CellCept and Sick

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi guys,

> > >

> > > Well, I've done a week on CellCept, and seem to be tolerating it OK so

far. Don't know how my liver is going on it yet - my previous blood test (off

Imuran, before CellCept) showed a good improvement in the gamma GT levels (from

479 to 144), I had my latest blood test yesterday, waiting on results ...

> > >

> > > Unfortunately I have a bad virus and it's turned into bronchitis,

coughing, sore throat, quite sick. I had anti-biotics a few weeks ago (standard

treatment when on immune-suppressants if you have a virus), but now I'm on TWO

antibiotics at once, and one of them is at 4 times the regular dose :/ If I'm

not starting to feel better by tomorrow, my GP wants to see me again, and there

was talk of putting me in hospital if I don't improve :( I guess it's fairly

serious to get a bacterial infection when your immune system is switched off,

not something to muck around with ... blargh.

> > >

> > > And I've been brave and made an appointment with a new counsellor, to talk

about depression / body image/ chronic illness stuff. I see in a fortnight (2

weeks). Trying to get on top of it all.

> > >

> > > :)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > > Nearly one week on, has it settled?

> > > >

> > > >> Subject: Re:

> > > >> From: denise@...

> > > >> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:44:29 +1000

> > > >> To: stiks11@...

> > > >>

> > > >> Thanks :) Yes, I hope it works too! Have been getting some fairly mild

gastric reactions (diarrhoea etc) but hopefully it will pass.

> > > >>

> > > >> xo :)

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >>> Ignore my email, I see you're sorted :)

> > > >>>

> > > >>> Hope the Cellcept is helpful.

> > > >>>

> > > >>> Rach

> > > >>

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> > ~~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~~

> > The Neurosarcoidosis Community

> >

> >

> >

> > Message Archives:-

> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/messages

> >

> > Members Database:-

> > Listings of locations, phone numbers, and instant messengers.

> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Neurosarcoidosis/database

> >

> >