RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re: A Lumbar Puncture?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I've had several. If you have a good Dr. and a strong pain killer (forgot what they gave me) you won't feel a thing. Just don't look at the needle. :-)

Rick

Subject: Re: A Lumbar Puncture?To: Neurosarcoidosis Date: Sunday, October 12, 2008, 5:48 AM

>, I've had about 10 lumbar punctures, even though effective, they can be painful. To me the fetal position is painful. But on my knees with my hands above my head works better.> Hi ,> > CSF· Cerebrospinal Fluid Analysis (CSF) - The CSF is take from the > body from a procedure known as a Lumbar Puncture (spinal tap). > Because the behaviour of the immune system cells in the central > nervous system may be different to elsewhere in the body the > evaluation of the CSF is one of the best forms of diagnosing > Neurosarcoidosis. Especially by looking for raised markers of ACE in > the spinal fluid. The spinal fluid is a closed system. The ACE or > other markers that are affecting the

brain seep out of the brains > tissue when the levels are high and enter the spinal fluid. If the > markers are present in your spinal fluid this indicates that there is > neurological involvement. It is also a good way of eliminating any > other neurological diseases which may have similar symptoms to your > own. > > The Lumbar Puncture procedure involves local anesethetic into your > back and spinal region. A needle is then inserted into the spinal > column and the fluid taken. I recommend you have this procedure done > under a fluroscope or CT scan so the Dr performing the procedure can > clearly see your spinal column, otherwise they are going in blind and > it may take several attempts or they might not be able to get the > fluid at all. This procedure is best done in a hospital as you > ideally should be monitored afterwards. The

spinal fluid cushions the > brain and spinal column. When you remove some of the fluid, it > affects you greatly. You are advised to drink plenty of water before > and especially after the procedure. Side effects from this procedure > include migraine and back ache, the level of intensity varies from > person to person. You are advised to lye flat for at least 6 hours > minimum after the Lumbar Puncture, and ideally remain flat for 2 days > or there abouts. It takes around 5 days for the needle incision into > the spinal column to heal. The more you move around during the first > few days after your LP the longer you will have the migraines. I > found this out the hard way! > > Love Aisha.>

Guest guest

Hi all

I have had several lumbar punctures. Thank God my daughter was there to hold me while the doctor used the needle. The first 4 times she missed and then called in another Doctor. He got it on the first hit. That was just the beginning of them. That was in the office, the other 10 were in the hospital where I stayed for 31 days while they did all the other procedures. The 2 muscle biopsies, the brain biopsy, lung, and liver. Not to mention the 5 mri's, the cat scans. oh all the others. So I just wanted to say that it was a needed procedure and It was not the worst of the pain I endured. The muscle in my leg far outweighed the LB, all of them put together. So grit your teeth, thank God for modern medicine and try to smile. It helps if you have a daughter you can swear at...lol

Jackie

Re: A Lumbar Puncture?To: Neurosarcoidosis Date: Sunday, October 12, 2008, 5:48 AM

>, I've had about 10 lumbar punctures, even though effective, they can be painful. To me the fetal position is painful. But on my knees with my hands above my head works better.> Hi ,> > CSF· Cerebrospinal Fluid Analysis (CSF) - The CSF is take from the > body from a procedure known as a Lumbar Puncture (spinal tap). > Because the behaviour of the immune system cells in the central > nervous system may be different to elsewhere in the body the > evaluation of the CSF is one of the best forms of diagnosing > Neurosarcoidosis. Especially by looking for raised markers of ACE in > the spinal fluid. The spinal fluid is a closed system. The ACE or > other markers that are affecting the brain seep out of the brains > tissue when the levels are high and enter the spinal fluid. If the > markers are present in your spinal fluid this indicates that there is > neurological involvement. It is also a good way of eliminating any > other neurological diseases which may have similar symptoms to your > own. > > The Lumbar Puncture procedure involves local anesethetic into your > back and spinal region. A needle is then inserted into the spinal > column and the fluid taken. I recommend you have this procedure done > under a fluroscope or CT scan so the Dr performing the procedure can > clearly see your spinal column, otherwise they are going in blind and > it may take several attempts or they might not be able to get the > fluid at all. This procedure is best done in a hospital as you > ideally should be monitored afterwards. The spinal fluid cushions the > brain and spinal column. When you remove some of the fluid, it > affects you greatly. You are advised to drink plenty of water before > and especially after the procedure. Side effects from this procedure > include migraine and back ache, the level of intensity varies from > person to person. You are advised to lye flat for at least 6 hours > minimum after the Lumbar Puncture, and ideally remain flat for 2 days > or there abouts. It takes around 5 days for the needle incision into > the spinal column to heal. The more you move around during the first > few days after your LP the longer you will have the migraines. I > found this out the hard way! > > Love Aisha.>