RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: What To Do About Seasonal Mood Disorder?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ron, I think many of us have SMD or SAD--Seasonal Attitude Disorder. It's depression that comes on primarily during fall and winter.

The most important thing is to get out and get some sunshine when it's there. Even a few minutes each day helps as it activates the RIGHT kind of Vit D in our systems. They know now that when anyone is deprived of sunlight day in and day out, that depression is a serious problem.

Just taking extra Vit D isn't going to answer the whole problem, as Vit D can only be absorbed when we expose out bodies to sunlight.

The new artificial light systems that are "real" light (sunlight lights) can help for those that live up north where winter storms and extreme temperatures dictate them being inside for weeks on end. I have a couple of friends that have these lights, and they do use them daily to get some relief.

Even if you can't SEE the sun-- just getting outside into the fresh air even if it's overcast or foggy or rainy still activates the Vit D. So it doesn't have to be in direct sunlight (but it sure feels good when it is!)

I can't help but think that part of the problem is that when our health makes us stay inside and confined -- that part of what our immune system has adapted to is to try to produce the Vit D it needs to keep us going by overproducing-- in the wrong places of the body (in the lungs...)

So my dear friend, how about we take those electric chairs of ours and an umbrella (I am looking at the oversized ones that they use on golf courses) and get out-- hey maybe we can find someone else on a chair and challenge them to a race. (I keep asking at the stores when I run into a fellow rider-- and they've either laughed or given me really nasty looks-- ) Can you see us all at our local Costco's drag racing in wheelchairs! ZOOMMMMMMMM!!!!1

Maybe a local gym could give us a track to use inside-- like they wheelchair basketball players--- think creatively, it's gotta be good!!

Love to you my friend,

Tracie

NS Co-owner/moderator

What To Do About Seasonal Mood Disorder?

I believe I have this illness. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, how do you deal with it? What are your symptoms? I would appreciate your feedback on how to overcome this "Thing".Warm wishes,Ron

Guest guest

Hey Ron, My father in law has this, he is BiPolar, and seasonal depression, they treat it with Anti depressants, my Father in law does really well during the spring and summer, but as Fall approaches he starts getting depressed and gets really down in the winter, then when spring comes around he starts feeling better, and does good until Fall, every year some thing. He feels better when on medication, but doesn't like taking it, so it's hard to stay ahead of the depression with him. It something that needs to be diagnosed then treated and usually year round, you can talk to your doctor about this. Getting more sun light during the winter helps, getting out doors as much as possible, or getting one of those grow lamps inside also helps. I've dealt with this for 20 years, and my son is BiPolar, he actually takes mood stabilizers, My father in law should but won't. My son is really good about taking his medication, so he doesn't go up or down in the winter, if he forgets his medication then he will go up and down for the next 3 days, so he is good not to miss them, he know his life is much better with the medication. I'm sure I don't know everything, but between my father in law and my son, I've been educated. So ask away. Your in my prayers always, Ron.

God Bless, Marla ps. I have a question for you. Your in a wheel chair right, all the time, can you walk at all, or stand alone, and how long from the first time you noticed your strength depleting to the time you were in the wheel chair?

I don't see a lot of the leg use coming back??

I believe I have this illness. Does anyone have any experience with

this? If so, how do you deal with it? What are your symptoms? I

would appreciate your feedback on how to overcome this " Thing " .

Warm wishes,

Ron

-- Marla BramerIndependent Beauty Consultant Kay mbramer@...www.marykay.com/mbramer