RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Off Topic : School

Rate this topic

Guest guest

OTMy son was off today and didn't sleep from 3-5am this morning.So, I let him sleep for a while and he woke up all by himself around 8.30am.He was really very happy and very interactive today when he woke up so I took him to the school and dropped him at 9:15am.Apparently, he bit one of the paras coz she stopped him from playing in his urine. I have never seen him do that at home.I don't know what happened there. My son did have some(about 4-5) incidents earlier where he bit. So, now the teacher writes this"wanted to inform you as per the school principal, when "xx" is tired and cranky he creates an unsafe enviornment for himself and the staff. The bite along with the others this past school year has been documented and sent to

the health department."The past bites were never related to his tiredness. The teacher always makes a big deal of his lateness.I don't know what are the implications of sending to the health services.Any ideas guys? I will talk to the principal .Just wondering what other things I should talk to the principal about.Do they even do this kinda of stuff. this is the first time my kid is going to public schooland have no idea as I did not study here.

Guest guest

I do not ve any wisdom to offer but will just comment on the fact that it seems to imply u and uo son will get some kind of punishment for his 'bad behaviour' as though both of u are choosing to 'misbehave' and all it takes is for both of u to be reported and somehow if u do not shape up u are out.... This is soo strange for school to do that to a child with an ASD diagnoses... And should it not be about all of u meeting to find 1 reasons it is happening and two how to help him stop this and teach him better coping methods!!!!And sometimes all we can do is PRAY!!!!Sent from my iPhone

OTMy son was off today and didn't sleep from 3-5am this morning.So, I let him sleep for a while and he woke up all by himself around 8.30am.He was really very happy and very interactive today when he woke up so I took him to the school and dropped him at 9:15am.Apparently, he bit one of the paras coz she stopped him from playing in his urine. I have never seen him do that at home.I don't know what happened there. My son did have some(about 4-5) incidents earlier where he bit. So, now the teacher writes this"wanted to inform you as per the school principal, when "xx" is tired and cranky he creates an unsafe enviornment for himself and the staff. The bite along with the others this past school year has been documented and sent to

the health department."The past bites were never related to his tiredness. The teacher always makes a big deal of his lateness.I don't know what are the implications of sending to the health services.Any ideas guys? I will talk to the principal .Just wondering what other things I should talk to the principal about.Do they even do this kinda of stuff. this is the first time my kid is going to public schooland have no idea as I did not study here.

Guest guest

Tendai thats why I asked what country this is ...I do not think its in the UK OR IS IT..principal ,hEALTH DEPT ... Anyway I am going to make my comments .Your son is a very sensible child well done for waking up himself..He was happy till something went wrong at school...its their duty to find out the trigger ..he was playing in or with his urine my foot ..and the lady got bitten WELLDONE ON him ..how did she try to remove him from the situation ..what tone...how was it done does he have sensory issues does he like to play with liquids how long was he left alone to have been able to play with urine..infact they have a lot to answer for ../.The fact that his biting as my daughter did at acertain time is due to sensory issues or as I think of in his case sheer frustration..how else can he get it across to the to help him better..I do not think they are kind .What does the teacher think she is doing its supposed to be a school that deals with these issues.Or is this a main stream school.What is the principal going to do what are the health department going to do ...flog you ..You get into that school quick stop feeling you owe them without our children they are in shit our children feed them ...Now go in and hear her out tell them that they need to find out the triggers why he is biting and put out an effective plan to support him and to help him so he does not get to the stage where he bites..I still dont understand is this a special school that caters to your childs needs or not.Normally I always tell parents to go in softly but I am seeing that or feeling that you are being to cautious in this case What the hell do they think they are doing stressing you both out like this .. Bola To: mb12valtrex From: tendaimatambanadzo@...Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:01:30 +0000Subject: Re: Off Topic : School

I do not ve any wisdom to offer but will just comment on the fact that it seems to imply u and uo son will get some kind of punishment for his 'bad behaviour' as though both of u are choosing to 'misbehave' and all it takes is for both of u to be reported and somehow if u do not shape up u are out.... This is soo strange for school to do that to a child with an ASD diagnoses... And should it not be about all of u meeting to find 1 reasons it is happening and two how to help him stop this and teach him better coping methods!!!!And sometimes all we can do is PRAY!!!!Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

Well said Bola!!! Sometimes I wonder at these institutions and ?? What they stand for??? Even out of topic more look at the UK news and they are finding horse meat in beef burgers and pple pay good money to these supermarket to be fed HORSE meat bet it is cheaper than beef!!!Sent from my iPhone

Tendai thats why I asked what country this is ...I do not think its in the UK OR IS IT..principal ,hEALTH DEPT ... Anyway I am going to make my comments .Your son is a very sensible child well done for waking up himself..He was happy till something went wrong at school...its their duty to find out the trigger ..he was playing in or with his urine my foot ..and the lady got bitten WELLDONE ON him ..how did she try to remove him from the situation ..what tone...how was it done does he have sensory issues does he like to play with liquids how long was he left alone to have been able to play with urine..infact they have a lot to answer for ../.The fact that his biting as my daughter did at acertain time is due to sensory issues or as I think of in his case sheer frustration..how else can he get it across to the to help him better..I do not think they are kind .What does the teacher think she is doing its supposed to be a school that deals with these issues.Or is this a main stream school.What is the principal going to do what are the health department going to do ...flog you ..You get into that school quick stop feeling you owe them without our children they are in shit our children feed them ...Now go in and hear her out tell them that they need to find out the triggers why he is biting and put out an effective plan to support him and to help him so he does not get to the stage where he bites..I still dont understand is this a special school that caters to your childs needs or not.Normally I always tell parents to go in softly but I am seeing that or feeling that you are being to cautious in this case What the hell do they think they are doing stressing you both out like this .. Bola To: mb12valtrex From: tendaimatambanadzo@...Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:01:30 +0000Subject: Re: Off Topic : School

Guest guest

See,this is clearly lack of knowledge about Autism.To call health dept is b.s. we all have enough to deal with.People better get ready/informed because Autism isnt going away anytime soon.Unfortunately.I wouldnt be surprised if their causing him some grief by their lack of knowledge about what ASD is.Buy her (teacher) the book.Ten things every kid with Autism wishes you knew.Heartbreaking but real book.Does he/she have Autism? Your his advocate.Best luck,school can be tricky

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:29 AM Subject: Re: Off Topic : School

Well said Bola!!! Sometimes I wonder at these institutions and ?? What they stand for??? Even out of topic more look at the UK news and they are finding horse meat in beef burgers and pple pay good money to these supermarket to be fed HORSE meat bet it is cheaper than beef!!!Sent from my iPhone

Tendai thats why I asked what country this is ...I do not think its in the UK OR IS IT..principal ,hEALTH DEPT ... Anyway I am going to make my comments .Your son is a very sensible child well done for waking up himself..He was happy till something went wrong at school...its their duty to find out the trigger ..he was playing in or with his urine my foot ..and the lady got bitten WELLDONE ON him ..how did she try to remove him from the situation ..what tone...how was it done does he have sensory issues does he like to play with liquids how long was he left alone to have been able to play with urine..infact they have a lot to answer for ../.The fact that his biting as my daughter did at acertain time is due to sensory issues or as I think of in his case sheer frustration..how else can he get it across to the to help him better..I do not think they are kind .What does the teacher think she is doing its supposed

to be a school that deals with these issues.Or is this a main stream school.What is the principal going to do what are the health department going to do ...flog you ..You get into that school quick stop feeling you owe them without our children they are in shit our children feed them ...Now go in and hear her out tell them that they need to find out the triggers why he is biting and put out an effective plan to support him and to help him so he does not get to the stage where he bites..I still dont understand is this a special school that caters to your childs needs or not.Normally I always tell parents to go in softly but I am seeing that or feeling that you are being to cautious in this case What the hell do they think they are doing stressing you both out like this .. Bola To: mb12valtrex From: tendaimatambanadzo@...Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:01:30 +0000Subject: Re: Off Topic : School

OTMy son was off today and didn't sleep from 3-5am this morning.So, I let him sleep for a while and he woke up all by himself around 8.30am.He was really very happy and very interactive today when he woke up so I took him to the school and dropped him at 9:15am.Apparently, he bit one of the paras coz she stopped him from playing in his urine. I have never seen him do that at home.I don't know what happened there. My son did have some(about 4-5) incidents earlier where he bit. So, now the teacher writes this"wanted to inform you as per the school principal, when "xx" is tired and cranky he creates an unsafe enviornment for himself and the staff. The bite along with the others this past school year has

been documented and sent to

Guest guest

My daughter's autism preschool teachers and her after-school Respite Care staff

had complained about her hitting. So, I asked my daughter's lead therapist what

to tell them. After our discussion, this is what I wrote to both the preschool

and to Respite Care:

1. Anticipate and block:

When you are making a demand of Elena, such as a transition, anticipate that she

will hit and be prepared to duck, dodge, jerk your head back, and block the hit

with your arm. (We have videos of this lead therapist blocking hits and she is a

pro at this.)

2. Don't acknowledge the hitting:

If you acknowledge the hitting, she sees the response from you and does it more.

For example, I tell her not to drink the bath water and she starts drinking it

nonstop.

3. Don't back down from your demand:

If she sees you backing down, she'll learn that she can get her way by

misbehaving.

One more thing, I told the Respite Care staff that, on school off days, when I

still have to work, it's okay if they don't take her on the outings. Because of

all the transitions involved in an outing, she hits more. She loves Respite

Care's playground and gym a lot more than any outing anyway.

(By the way, in my humble opinion, these professionals should be trained in

handling these behaviors and not blaming the parents or having the parents find

solutions when the parents were not even there to see what all happened anyway.)

Mel

Guest guest

Totaly agree! My son was the same, all you said applied to him. Still does but thanks to this group I discovered I was giving him soy (had no idea d alfatocopherol was soy) after taking it off hiting and biting stoped!CristinaEnviado via iPadEm 12/02/2013, às 15:56, "Mel" escreveu:

My daughter's autism preschool teachers and her after-school Respite Care staff had complained about her hitting. So, I asked my daughter's lead therapist what to tell them. After our discussion, this is what I wrote to both the preschool and to Respite Care:

1. Anticipate and block:

When you are making a demand of Elena, such as a transition, anticipate that she will hit and be prepared to duck, dodge, jerk your head back, and block the hit with your arm. (We have videos of this lead therapist blocking hits and she is a pro at this.)

2. Don't acknowledge the hitting:

If you acknowledge the hitting, she sees the response from you and does it more. For example, I tell her not to drink the bath water and she starts drinking it nonstop.

3. Don't back down from your demand:

If she sees you backing down, she'll learn that she can get her way by misbehaving.

One more thing, I told the Respite Care staff that, on school off days, when I still have to work, it's okay if they don't take her on the outings. Because of all the transitions involved in an outing, she hits more. She loves Respite Care's playground and gym a lot more than any outing anyway.

(By the way, in my humble opinion, these professionals should be trained in handling these behaviors and not blaming the parents or having the parents find solutions when the parents were not even there to see what all happened anyway.)

Mel