RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alive

dealing with vata imbalances in 3-month-old

Rate this topic

Guest alive

My daughter is 3 months old and was born 6-7 weeks early. She is vata-pitta, as assessed by me (Ayurvedic lifestyle consultant) and confirmed in her birth chart.

Her sleep patterns are not very regular yet...and are becoming more irregular rather than the reverse. She is usually in bed at night for 10-12 hours and sleeps anywhere between 1 and 5 hours at a time (waking to eat & for diaper check/change) -- averaging maybe 2-3 hours at a time. However, the past several nights she is sleeping shorter 60- to 90-minute periods, waking & kicking & fussing for a bit and breastfeeding just a little before going back to sleep.

In the daytimes lately she often naps for only 15 to 45 minutes at a time, 3 to 4 times a day. OR, she naps for 3-4 hours in the late afternoon, and I wake her up by 19:00 so she'll (hopefully) sleep at night. She used to standardly nap for 1-2 hours at a time.

For the past 7-10 days her bowel movements have also become much more infrequent, which I don't believe is natural, although our Western medicine practitioner says it would be considered "normal" for her to not poop for up to 14 days a time. She used to poo at least once a day, usually 2-4 times a day. She currently hasn't pooped for 72 hours and is increasingly cranky because of it, often straining to pass gas or try to poo.

The two previous poops before these 72 hours (with 1-2 days between each), I put a bit of castor oil on my nipple for her, and she pooped within several hours. I am concerned about using castor oil each time, lest her body becomes dependent on it. She pees plenty (often with our cue to her) -- no problems there!

I have begun to wonder if I should implement more of a rhythym-routine into her/our day to help her with these vata imbalances, as I would recommend for an older child or adult. What does Ayurveda recommend for babies? How would I (or should I?) implement a sleep routine or other routines for her? And are there other suggestions for the infrequent bowel movements or helping her sleep (hence me!) sleep better?

Other info:

- She is exclusively breastfed.

- She sleeps with my partner and me at night.

- In the daytime, she sleeps "on" us -- against my chest or his, in a woven wrap -- and sleeps quite soundly there, although she has never been one of those babies who will "sleep through anything."

With thanks for any expertise offered...