RemedySpot.com

Social Security disability

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Mike & , I had the same experience as you . I filled out the forms, didn't even check to see if they had been received. One of the doctors I listed as seeing years earlier sent me a letter saying she would like to speak to me before she returned the form but before I had a chance to call her it had already gone through based on the information from the other docs. Everything came through smoothly. Nothing complicated or to be afraid of...

Thank God!

Margaret 62 Anchorage, Alaska

Pneumonitis 97, PH 06, COPD, PF, respiratory & heart failure 08

I enjoy traveling, photography, gardening, sewing, home decorating,

playing with my toys & classical music

aka Grammie Goose

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Friday, March 6, 2009 7:39:28 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

Mike AKA mango man, I have not had to be evaluated in any way since beginning SSDI.In fact the only things I did to qualify was to fill out forms, list all my physicians, and medications, and follow-up with all the doctors office managers to make sure they had received all the SSDI forms.I did write a letter to send with the forms. Many of the questions were not applicable to PF and the in take persontold me to write a letter to describe my situation. At the time I was on 40mg of Prednisone, not very organized in my thoughtsand the letter ended up being 17 hand written ( with very shaky hands) pages describing the entire mess!I never even went into a SSDI office or had a person to person interview. I spoke to an intake person at the localoffice, she sent me the forms and in less than 3 months (I applied 1 year after DX) I had a check retroactive for 6 months in my

checking account. In fact the check showed up before the letter arrived.Don't be scared off by the adds for Social Security Lawyers on TV!Most of the people I know on SSDI due to many illnesses had no hassles at all.Good Luck

Z 65, fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild†PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter, reader,carousel lover and MomMom to Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna be iron like a lion in Zion†Bob Marley

Vinca Minor-periwinkle is my flower

Mango man wrote:

I understand the process to receive the disability status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your experiences?

Mike No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00

Guest guest

i retired on disabilty in the US a about 2 years ago -- don't know about the canada issues

check it out on line

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life Listed 1/09

www.transplantfund.org---

Subject: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 10:03 AM

It appears many people may be of a retired age, But I am wondering if anybody knows if IPF is recognized as a disability with Social Security? If anyone knows about this informatio in Canada it would be greatly appreciated. Windsor, Ontario Canada Dx 03/08 IPF Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry 7days to go.. Love & Prayers, Peggy Florida, IPF/UIP 2004 "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

Guest guest

Mike

i have not had to meet with social security again, after 2 years I went on medicare, so unless i return to work, i will be on disability, there might be a change when i turn 62 or 65, don't know for sure how that works

next week i will be 62, yikes!!! i am not really that old!!!

Donate Life Listed 1/09

Subject: Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

I understand the process to receive the disability status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your experiences?

Mike

Guest guest

same with me, six months worth of ssdi was in the bank before i was notified

i did go to the appointment, didn't realize i could do it all by phone, but i did bring a lot of paper work with me that they copied

also walked in with a hose in my nose and no make-up

Donate Life Listed 1/09

Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 11:39 PM

Mike AKA mango man, I have not had to be evaluated in any way since beginning SSDI.In fact the only things I did to qualify was to fill out forms, list all my physicians, and medications, and follow-up with all the doctors office managers to make sure they had received all the SSDI forms.I did write a letter to send with the forms. Many of the questions were not applicable to PF and the in take persontold me to write a letter to describe my situation. At the time I was on 40mg of Prednisone, not very organized in my thoughtsand the letter ended up being 17 hand written ( with very shaky hands) pages describing the entire mess!I never even went into a SSDI office or had a person to person interview. I spoke to an intake person at the localoffice, she sent me the forms and in less than 3 months (I applied 1 year after DX) I had a check retroactive for 6 months in my

checking account. In fact the check showed up before the letter arrived.Don't be scared off by the adds for Social Security Lawyers on TV!Most of the people I know on SSDI due to many illnesses had no hassles at all.Good Luck

and Sara

Mango man wrote:

Mike

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00

Guest guest

same with me, six months worth of ssdi was in the bank before i was notified

i did go to the appointment, didn't realize i could do it all by phone, but i did bring a lot of paper work with me that they copied

also walked in with a hose in my nose and no make-up

Donate Life Listed 1/09

Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 11:39 PM

and Sara

Mango man wrote:

Mike

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00

Guest guest

Not meaning to get personaln or to offend anyone, approximately how much does Disability pay? If this is information that should not be shared, just let me know.Windsor, Ontario CanadaDx 03/08 IPFSent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerryFrom: Joyce T Rosenberg Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:26:11 -0800 (PST)To: <Breathe-Support >Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disability Mikei have not had to meet with social security again, after 2 years I went on medicare, so unless i return to work, i will be on disability, there might be a change when i turn 62 or 65, don't know for sure how that works next week i will be 62, yikes!!! i am not really that old!!!Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania Donate Life Listed 1/09www.transplantfund.orgFrom: Mango man <mangomaninparadise (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PMI understand the process to receive the disability status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your experiences? Mike

Guest guest

Not meaning to get personaln or to offend anyone, approximately how much does Disability pay? If this is information that should not be shared, just let me know.Windsor, Ontario CanadaDx 03/08 IPFSent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerryFrom: Joyce T Rosenberg Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:26:11 -0800 (PST)To: <Breathe-Support >Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disability Mikei have not had to meet with social security again, after 2 years I went on medicare, so unless i return to work, i will be on disability, there might be a change when i turn 62 or 65, don't know for sure how that works next week i will be 62, yikes!!! i am not really that old!!!Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania Donate Life Listed 1/09www.transplantfund.orgFrom: Mango man <mangomaninparadise (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PMI understand the process to receive the disability status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your experiences? Mike

Guest guest

If you're eligible for social security, you should get an annual

printout of the amounts you qualify for. Based on your earnings it pays

essentially as if you were retiring now at full retirement age. This

might be as little as a few hundred to amounts over two thousand.

There are tools on socialsecurity.gov for you to estimate if you don't

have this document.

US Disability amounts are calculated much different than in Canada.

>

> From: Mango man mangomaninparadise@...

> Subject: Re: Social Security disability

> To: Breathe-Support

> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I understand the process to receive the disability status can be a

lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on

restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security

staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think

that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having

dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to

turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't

assume anything. What have been your experiences?

>

> Mike

>

Guest guest

If you're eligible for social security, you should get an annual

printout of the amounts you qualify for. Based on your earnings it pays

essentially as if you were retiring now at full retirement age. This

might be as little as a few hundred to amounts over two thousand.

There are tools on socialsecurity.gov for you to estimate if you don't

have this document.

US Disability amounts are calculated much different than in Canada.

>

> From: Mango man mangomaninparadise@...

> Subject: Re: Social Security disability

> To: Breathe-Support

> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I understand the process to receive the disability status can be a

lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on

restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security

staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think

that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having

dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to

turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't

assume anything. What have been your experiences?

>

> Mike

>

Guest guest

, SSDI is paid according to a % of

what you made while working.

Mine is rather low because I used to work as a college instructor

only part-time for 18 years.

I had enough time in to qualify.

Part-time faculty at community colleges in PA make about half of what

full time instructors make

and we don't get benefits either. Good thing my husband owns his own

company!

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 65,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not

self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna

be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

Minor-periwinkle is my flower

oppm00@... wrote:

Not meaning to get personaln or to offend anyone, approximately

how much does Disability pay? If this is information that should not be

shared, just let me know.

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Dx 03/08 IPF

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

Joyce T Rosenberg

Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:26:11 -0800 (PST)

To: <Breathe-Support >

Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

Mike

i have not had to meet with social security again, after 2

years I went on medicare, so unless i return to work, i will be on

disability, there might be a change when i turn 62 or 65, don't know

for sure how that works

next week i will be 62, yikes!!! i am not really that

old!!!

Donate Life

Listed 1/09

www.transplantfund.org

Mango man <mangomaninparadise (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

Subject: Re: Social Security disability

To: Breathe-Support

Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

I understand the process to receive the disability

status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this

status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with

Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your

status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based

on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your

lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government

agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your

experiences?

Mike

Guest guest

Thank-you very much for the information.Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerryFrom: Zion Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 18:16:18 -0500To: <Breathe-Support >Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disability , SSDI is paid according to a % of what you made while working. Mine is rather low because I used to work as a college instructor only part-time for 18 years. I had enough time in to qualify. Part-time faculty at community colleges in PA make about half of what full time instructors make and we don't get benefits either. Good thing my husband owns his own company! Z fibriotic NSIP/05 Z 65, fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA And “mild” PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!No, NSIP was not self-inflicted…I never smoked!Potter, reader,carousel lover and MomMom to Darah and Sara “I’m gonna be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob MarleyVinca Minor-periwinkle is my flower oppm00 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com wrote: Not meaning to get personaln or to offend anyone, approximately how much does Disability pay? If this is information that should not be shared, just let me know. Windsor, Ontario Canada Dx 03/08 IPF Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry From: Joyce T Rosenberg Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:26:11 -0800 (PST) To: <Breathe-Support > Subject: Re: Re: Social Security disability Mike i have not had to meet with social security again, after 2 years I went on medicare, so unless i return to work, i will be on disability, there might be a change when i turn 62 or 65, don't know for sure how that works next week i will be 62, yikes!!! i am not really that old!!! Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania Donate Life Listed 1/09 www.transplantfund.org From: Mango man <mangomaninparadise (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> Subject: Re: Social Security disability To: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM I understand the process to receive the disability status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your experiences? Mike No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00

Guest guest

I was a stay at home mother so I don't have SS. I get everything from my husbands and he lacked 3 quarters of having enough time. He retired from Civil Service. I get survivors benefits which ammount to just a little over poverty level. I think the poverty level has changed but I don't know what it is now. How would this affect my getting disability? Beverly Joy, 70, IPF, Idaho

Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

Mike

Guest guest

Beverley Joy, If I'm not mistaken, you

are not eligible for SSDI if you haven't worked.

In the same way that if you haven't worked you cannot collect regular

SS unless you are covered by your spouse.Both systems assume that you

have worked so many quarters

in your lifetime and have made contributions to the SS funds.

I know that my SSDI amount is based right now on my personal( full

and part-time teaching salaries over 41 years.)

earnings but when I reach 65 and 9 months( I think) I will then drop

the SSDI and begin to collect half of Mike's SS

and that's way more than my SSDI! I only have 7 more months to go!!!

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 65,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

No, NSIP was not

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna

be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

Beverley Joy wrote:

I was a stay at home mother so I

don't have SS. I get everything from my husbands and he lacked 3

quarters of having enough time. He retired from Civil Service. I get

survivors benefits which ammount to just a little over poverty level. I

think the poverty level has changed but I don't know what it is now.

How would this affect my getting disability? Beverly Joy, 70, IPF, Idaho

-----

Original Message -----

Zion

To:

Breathe-Support

Sent:

Saturday, March 07, 2009 3:16 PM

Subject:

Re: Re: Social Security disability

, SSDI is paid according to a

% of what you made while working.

Mine is rather low because I used to work as a college instructor

only part-time for 18 years.

I had enough time in to qualify.

Part-time faculty at community colleges in PA make about half of what

full time instructors make

and we don't get benefits either. Good thing my husband owns his own

company!

Z

65, fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

No, NSIP was not

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna be iron like a

lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

<!--[if

!supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

oppm00 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com wrote:

Not meaning to get personaln or to offend anyone,

approximately how much does Disability pay? If this is information that

should not be shared, just let me know.

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Dx 03/08 IPF

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

Joyce T Rosenberg

Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:26:11 -0800 (PST)

To: <Breathe-Support >

Subject: Re: Re: Social Security

disability

Mike

i have not had to meet with social security again,

after 2 years I went on medicare, so unless i return to work, i will be

on disability, there might be a change when i turn 62 or 65, don't know

for sure how that works

next week i will be 62, yikes!!! i am not really that

old!!!

Pink Joyce IPF

3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life

Listed 1/09

www.transplantfund.org

Mango man <mangomaninparadise (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

Subject: Re: Social Security disability

To: Breathe-Support

Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

I understand the process to receive the disability

status can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this

status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to meet with

Social Security staff each year on the anniversary to renew your

status. I would think that once they made their medical decision based

on your lungs having dropped below an acceptable level, they know your

lungs are not apt to turn around and improve but being a government

agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your

experiences?

Mike

Guest guest

Hello Beverly,

If you didn't work I don't think you are eligible for SSDI, but you might be eligible for SSI - Social Security Income. You might check. It has nothing to do with what you paid in - it's income-based totally. You have to have assets of less than $2,000.

Depending on where you live qualifying for SSI automatically qualifies you for other assistance programs you might benefit from. It's not much - I think something like $550 a month now (check ) but every little bit helps. You might check it out.

Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome albinism 02 / PF 06 Kansas

> >>> >> >> Subject: Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support > >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

Thank you for the info. Beverley Joy

Re: Social Security disabilityTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM

Mike

Guest guest

I'm probably not eligible for anything. If they don't count your house I might be eligible. I know that for some things they don't. It isn't the money as much as the medical that I would like to be able to get. Bev

Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support > >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

if you are phyiscaly disabled and unable to work you are eligible for, and intitled to, SSDI, no matter what you own. it's county and state welfare that limits you on what you can own and how much money you have in the bank or in other assets.

call SSI and they can answer any and all questions.

i found it to be very simple, but, a little time consuming.

ken

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:24:36 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

I'm probably not eligible for anything. If they don't count your house I might be eligible. I know that for some things they don't. It isn't the money as much as the medical that I would like to be able to get. Bev

Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >>

dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> >

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

if you are phyiscaly disabled and unable to work you are eligible for, and intitled to, SSDI, no matter what you own. it's county and state welfare that limits you on what you can own and how much money you have in the bank or in other assets.

ken

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:24:36 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >>

dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> >

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

Ken,

I would caution though that an individual has to have worked and paid into the SS system collect SSDI. Unfortunately just being disabled is not enough. It works like insurance, you pay into the system by way of your FICA "contribution" and once you reach retirement age or become disabled you can collect the benefit. If you have not paid in, you can't collect.

You are correct however that your financial status or what you own is not counted at all in whether or not you are eligible for SSDI.

Beth

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:09:43 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

ken

From: Beverley Joy <sparrow4 (AT) localnet (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:24:36 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on

your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus

found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

Ken,

I would caution though that an individual has to have worked and paid into the SS system collect SSDI. Unfortunately just being disabled is not enough. It works like insurance, you pay into the system by way of your FICA "contribution" and once you reach retirement age or become disabled you can collect the benefit. If you have not paid in, you can't collect.

You are correct however that your financial status or what you own is not counted at all in whether or not you are eligible for SSDI.

Beth

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:09:43 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

ken

From: Beverley Joy <sparrow4 (AT) localnet (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:24:36 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on

your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus

found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

True MB, I was turned down even though I worked and paid FICA all my life I was 3 quarters short because I didn't filesoon enough. Still makes me crazzzzy.. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Ken,I would caution though that an individual has to have worked and paid into the SS system collect SSDI. Unfortunately just being disabled is not enough. It works like insurance, you pay into the system by way of your FICA "contribution" and once you reach retirement age or become disabled you can collect the benefit. If you have not paid in, you can't collect.You are correct however that your financial status or what you own is not counted at all in whether or not you are eligible for SSDI.  BethModeratorFibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08From:  Overman <kenover44 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:09:43 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityif you are phyiscaly disabled and unable to work you are eligible for, and intitled to, SSDI, no matter what you own.  it's county and state welfare that limits you on what you can own and how much money you have in the bank or in other assets.  call SSI and they can answer any and all questions. i found it to be very simple, but, a little time consuming. kenFrom: Beverley Joy <sparrow4 (AT) localnet (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:24:36 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityI'm probably not eligible for anything. If they don't count your house I might be eligible. I know that for some things they don't. It isn't the money as much as the medical that I would like to be able to get. Bev  Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

True MB, I was turned down even though I worked and paid FICA all my life I was 3 quarters short because I didn't filesoon enough. Still makes me crazzzzy.. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Ken,I would caution though that an individual has to have worked and paid into the SS system collect SSDI. Unfortunately just being disabled is not enough. It works like insurance, you pay into the system by way of your FICA "contribution" and once you reach retirement age or become disabled you can collect the benefit. If you have not paid in, you can't collect.You are correct however that your financial status or what you own is not counted at all in whether or not you are eligible for SSDI.  BethModeratorFibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08From:  Overman <kenover44 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:09:43 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityif you are phyiscaly disabled and unable to work you are eligible for, and intitled to, SSDI, no matter what you own.  it's county and state welfare that limits you on what you can own and how much money you have in the bank or in other assets.  call SSI and they can answer any and all questions. i found it to be very simple, but, a little time consuming. kenFrom: Beverley Joy <sparrow4 (AT) localnet (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:24:36 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityI'm probably not eligible for anything. If they don't count your house I might be eligible. I know that for some things they don't. It isn't the money as much as the medical that I would like to be able to get. Bev  Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>

Guest guest

I don't think they count your house - but you'd have to double check. I was on SSI when I was in college because I'm legally blind and at the time, had major Crohn's stuff going on. I had to drop out of school for a year etc. I'm a little rusty on it.

Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome 02 / PF 06 Kansas

> > >>> > >> From: Mango man mangomaninparadise@> > >> Subject: Re: Social Security disability> > >> To: Breathe-Support > > >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> > >>> > >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> > >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> > >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> > >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> > >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> > >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> > >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> > >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> > >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> > >> experiences?> > >> > > >> Mike> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> > >>> > >>> > >> No virus found in this incoming message.> > >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> > >>> > >> > > >> > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> > >> > >> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> > > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

I don't think they count your house - but you'd have to double check. I was on SSI when I was in college because I'm legally blind and at the time, had major Crohn's stuff going on. I had to drop out of school for a year etc. I'm a little rusty on it.

Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome 02 / PF 06 Kansas

> > >>> > >> From: Mango man mangomaninparadise@> > >> Subject: Re: Social Security disability> > >> To: Breathe-Support > > >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> > >>> > >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> > >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> > >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> > >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> > >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> > >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> > >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> > >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> > >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> > >> experiences?> > >> > > >> Mike> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> > >>> > >>> > >> No virus found in this incoming message.> > >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> > >>> > >> > > >> > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> > >> > >> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> > > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

my apology, i don't mean to miss lead anyone.

ken

To: Breathe-Support@...Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 6:11:54 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disabilityTrue MB, I was turned down even though I worked and paid FICA all my life I was 3 quarters short because I didn't file

soon enough. Still makes me crazzzzy..

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Ken,

Beth

From: Overman <kenover44 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:09:43 PMSubject: Re: Re: Social Security disability

ken

Re: Social Security disability> >> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups.

com> >> Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:31 PM> >>> >> I understand the process to receive the _disability_ status> >> can be a lengthy one. For all of you who have attained this> >> status (based on restriction in your lungs) have you had to> >> meet with Social Security staff each year on the anniversary> >> to renew your status. I would think that once they made> >> their medical decision based on your lungs having> >> dropped below an acceptable level, they know your lungs are> >> not apt to turn around and improve but being a government> >> agency, I find I can't assume anything. What have been your> >> experiences?> >> > >> Mike> >>> >>> >>> >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >>> >>> >> No virus found in this incoming message.> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > >> Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >>> >> > >> > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.8/1987 - Release Date: 03/06/09 07:20:00> >> >>