RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New to the group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi , Welcome to the group! You will find a lot of wonderful support here. I also have a daughter named Chelsea, she just turned 7 at the end of Feb. She is my only child. Her presentation was much more subtle. Her ped became concerned about her lack of developement at 7 mos. Her initial labs (we were told) were normal, but he referred us to a neuro anyway, who said Chelsea had some benign insult to her CNS and she should catch up. After she passed 2yrs and had met no milestones, her neuro started testing for mito. Her muscle and skin bx were inconclusive but indicated a nonspecific abnormality. Her neuro recently left his practice and I got a copy of her file and found that her labs did indeed indicate a mitochodriopathy, but her neuro felt she was doing too well to have mito. Also after the age of 2, we found Chelsea had severe silent aspiration and epilepsy. The aspiration was not making her ill until she had to start taking phenobarb. 3 months later she crashed and has been tube fed since, that was 4 yrs ago. She also has breathing issues and tends to pool secretions in the back of her throat, but so far she is managing just fine with meds and suctioning, and O2 at nite for apnea. She had a T & A last summer which has made a big difference. She also has a hospital type bed, and sleeping upright has also helped a great deal.

Basically all that is known is that she has severe CNS dysfunction due to an unknown mito disorder. She is nonambulatory, nonverbal, has severe ataxia, and a mix of hypo and hypertonia. While physically she functions at an infant level, her cognition appears much higher, she is just really hard to test because of the low physical skills. She is also very prone to lethargy and illness, and only attends school 2 to 3 days/wk. She is in a sp ed class with other kids who have similar disabilities, and she really enjoys it! Despite her severe limitations, she is a very happy girl and enjoys her life. She loves stuffed animals, balls, swinging, bouncing, being read to, tv, and going to the butterfly gardens and the zoo.

Please feel free to ask anything, or vent if you need an understanding ear.

e, Chelsea's mom(nonspecific mito)

Her is a pic of my giggle girl! I was just messing around with this in a photo program today, thought I'd stick it in.

Guest guest

Hi , Welcome to the group! You will find a lot of wonderful support here. I also have a daughter named Chelsea, she just turned 7 at the end of Feb. She is my only child. Her presentation was much more subtle. Her ped became concerned about her lack of developement at 7 mos. Her initial labs (we were told) were normal, but he referred us to a neuro anyway, who said Chelsea had some benign insult to her CNS and she should catch up. After she passed 2yrs and had met no milestones, her neuro started testing for mito. Her muscle and skin bx were inconclusive but indicated a nonspecific abnormality. Her neuro recently left his practice and I got a copy of her file and found that her labs did indeed indicate a mitochodriopathy, but her neuro felt she was doing too well to have mito. Also after the age of 2, we found Chelsea had severe silent aspiration and epilepsy. The aspiration was not making her ill until she had to start taking phenobarb. 3 months later she crashed and has been tube fed since, that was 4 yrs ago. She also has breathing issues and tends to pool secretions in the back of her throat, but so far she is managing just fine with meds and suctioning, and O2 at nite for apnea. She had a T & A last summer which has made a big difference. She also has a hospital type bed, and sleeping upright has also helped a great deal.

Basically all that is known is that she has severe CNS dysfunction due to an unknown mito disorder. She is nonambulatory, nonverbal, has severe ataxia, and a mix of hypo and hypertonia. While physically she functions at an infant level, her cognition appears much higher, she is just really hard to test because of the low physical skills. She is also very prone to lethargy and illness, and only attends school 2 to 3 days/wk. She is in a sp ed class with other kids who have similar disabilities, and she really enjoys it! Despite her severe limitations, she is a very happy girl and enjoys her life. She loves stuffed animals, balls, swinging, bouncing, being read to, tv, and going to the butterfly gardens and the zoo.

Please feel free to ask anything, or vent if you need an understanding ear.

e, Chelsea's mom(nonspecific mito)

Her is a pic of my giggle girl! I was just messing around with this in a photo program today, thought I'd stick it in.

Guest guest

welcome to the group. i been with the group now for about 4 yrs and I have learned alot from the group. I have had lupus now for 17 yrs I am 37 yrs old and live in Florida. One thing about this group is that we can cry whine laugh and that everyone understands on what we are going through too. i have been in remission since Nov of 2003 first time I have ever been in remission. I wish you all the luck in the group and I hope you will enjoy the group as much as I have. They are like a second family to me. You are in my prayers and thougths.

Love Kimi

Hello. My name is . I am new to Lupies (I always knew I was a little loopy, so this must confirm it). After living with Lupus for 30 years, it is good to finally have a group who understands. I know there are all sorts of support groups out there, but have never joined any. I have been an island trying to make those around me understand why I am always tired. I was diagnosed when I was 13, but they can trace it back to age 9. I had a wonderful group of doctors from the University of Minnesota who originally diagnosed it. All I had to do was walk in the door and they knew what it was. High doses of prednisone threw it into remission. I have had odd-ball symptoms every once in awhile. February of 2003 I had my aortic valve replaced (this is where the Lupus did the most damage at age 13). Things went wonderful, for awhile. A few months after that I had a rash on the back of my neck. Nothing big, but just annoying. It didn't go away, and the doctor was not sure what it was, but here is some cream and come back if it doesn't go away. It went away there and then showed up on the front of my neck. Still did not go away. After that it started spreading. I got the following: drug induced re-action, or allergy, or maybe it is the Lupus. We don't know. Do a biopsy and we will let you know. Biopsy came up negative, but rash spread, back was covered and now was infected. FINALLY, my general practicitioner sent me to a dermotologist. They did another biopsy. No antibodies were showing up in the biopsies, so no one was quite sure was happening. What a rollercoaster ride. Try this med, now add this med, now add this med. I am on Plaquinil, Accutane, Prednisone, and nothing is working. Now they want to try Imuran. I am hoping this works. My children just want their mother feeling better. My husband is frustrated that he cannot take this all away, and is afraid he is losing his wife. With Accutane and Prednisone altering my emotions, I need someplace safe to cry when it all gets to be too much. I found this site in my search. I am hoping and praying it will help hold me together through all the trials. I wish to be that bright, positive, encouraging person again. Thank you for listening, and I am glad I am part of the group.

Guest guest

welcome to the group. i been with the group now for about 4 yrs and I have learned alot from the group. I have had lupus now for 17 yrs I am 37 yrs old and live in Florida. One thing about this group is that we can cry whine laugh and that everyone understands on what we are going through too. i have been in remission since Nov of 2003 first time I have ever been in remission. I wish you all the luck in the group and I hope you will enjoy the group as much as I have. They are like a second family to me. You are in my prayers and thougths.

Love Kimi

Hello. My name is . I am new to Lupies (I always knew I was a little loopy, so this must confirm it). After living with Lupus for 30 years, it is good to finally have a group who understands. I know there are all sorts of support groups out there, but have never joined any. I have been an island trying to make those around me understand why I am always tired. I was diagnosed when I was 13, but they can trace it back to age 9. I had a wonderful group of doctors from the University of Minnesota who originally diagnosed it. All I had to do was walk in the door and they knew what it was. High doses of prednisone threw it into remission. I have had odd-ball symptoms every once in awhile. February of 2003 I had my aortic valve replaced (this is where the Lupus did the most damage at age 13). Things went wonderful, for awhile. A few months after that I had a rash on the back of my neck. Nothing big, but just annoying. It didn't go away, and the doctor was not sure what it was, but here is some cream and come back if it doesn't go away. It went away there and then showed up on the front of my neck. Still did not go away. After that it started spreading. I got the following: drug induced re-action, or allergy, or maybe it is the Lupus. We don't know. Do a biopsy and we will let you know. Biopsy came up negative, but rash spread, back was covered and now was infected. FINALLY, my general practicitioner sent me to a dermotologist. They did another biopsy. No antibodies were showing up in the biopsies, so no one was quite sure was happening. What a rollercoaster ride. Try this med, now add this med, now add this med. I am on Plaquinil, Accutane, Prednisone, and nothing is working. Now they want to try Imuran. I am hoping this works. My children just want their mother feeling better. My husband is frustrated that he cannot take this all away, and is afraid he is losing his wife. With Accutane and Prednisone altering my emotions, I need someplace safe to cry when it all gets to be too much. I found this site in my search. I am hoping and praying it will help hold me together through all the trials. I wish to be that bright, positive, encouraging person again. Thank you for listening, and I am glad I am part of the group.

Guest guest

Love Kimi

Guest guest

, Hello, and welcome to the group. And, yes, honey, we are here 24/7 for each other, with

members in every time zone around the world. I, too have had Lupus for more than 30 years. In

fact, it took most of those years for the docs to remove the word "suspect" from my chart and just

label it SLE. My tests, my rashes, my pain, fatigue, etc. did not fit any known pattern. Duh. Don't

they get it, yet, that that is why Lupus is such a challenge? Sheesh, what a bunch of "Maroons", as

Bugs Bunny would say.

I went through years of skin biopsies, creams, steroid and non-steroid, ointments, special baths (and

believe me this one was the hardest as I cannot get in and out of the tub without help), you name it.

They even sent me to two teaching university hospitals for tests. Nada. Then I took matters into

my own hands, and figured that if it was this persistent a rash, maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something, and we just couldn't find the something. So, I started taking Allegra, and using Bag Balm on my skin. My rashes are so much better after about six months of this, that I am

continuing the treatment. The docs are amazed. When the itching becomes too much for me to

handle, I also use Pramazone 2.4 cortisone lotion, or Sarna lotion to soothe the nerve endings and

take away the itch. I hope this info is helpful for you.

As for the isolation you feel, that, I believe, is the single most devastating aspect of Lupus, or any

other chronic illness. As "advanced" as we are supposed to be, we are still fearful of what we do not

understand and can't change. So, we tend to avoid it. That's why support groups started in the first

place, because patients found their loved ones couldn't handle discussing the illness and it's challenges, frustrations, etc.

Again, welcome, and I hope you write often, give advice where you can, and just enjoy making new

friends, here. Hugs, MM aka: Mike, one of the moderators

Guest guest

, Hello, and welcome to the group. And, yes, honey, we are here 24/7 for each other, with

members in every time zone around the world. I, too have had Lupus for more than 30 years. In

fact, it took most of those years for the docs to remove the word "suspect" from my chart and just

label it SLE. My tests, my rashes, my pain, fatigue, etc. did not fit any known pattern. Duh. Don't

they get it, yet, that that is why Lupus is such a challenge? Sheesh, what a bunch of "Maroons", as

Bugs Bunny would say.

I went through years of skin biopsies, creams, steroid and non-steroid, ointments, special baths (and

believe me this one was the hardest as I cannot get in and out of the tub without help), you name it.

They even sent me to two teaching university hospitals for tests. Nada. Then I took matters into

my own hands, and figured that if it was this persistent a rash, maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something, and we just couldn't find the something. So, I started taking Allegra, and using Bag Balm on my skin. My rashes are so much better after about six months of this, that I am

continuing the treatment. The docs are amazed. When the itching becomes too much for me to

handle, I also use Pramazone 2.4 cortisone lotion, or Sarna lotion to soothe the nerve endings and

take away the itch. I hope this info is helpful for you.

As for the isolation you feel, that, I believe, is the single most devastating aspect of Lupus, or any

other chronic illness. As "advanced" as we are supposed to be, we are still fearful of what we do not

understand and can't change. So, we tend to avoid it. That's why support groups started in the first

place, because patients found their loved ones couldn't handle discussing the illness and it's challenges, frustrations, etc.

Again, welcome, and I hope you write often, give advice where you can, and just enjoy making new

friends, here. Hugs, MM aka: Mike, one of the moderators

Guest guest

Kimi,

Thank you for the welcome. I do believe this group will be very good

for me. I am looking forward to the laughs (for we all need those),

cries (for there will be some of those, too), and encouragement

(which is where I am lacking right now). I have been so strong for

so long that I have worn myself out, so I am frustrated with myself

during this flare and am trying to not take it out on anyone. I am

always open to lifting others up in prayer. It has been my help in

times of trouble, and is one of the few things you can do inside -

out of the sun.

How do you survive in Florida with all that beautiful sun? It was

hot here in Minnesota this last week and that really aggrevated

things. Of course it would help if I had air conditioning in the car

(I drive 50 minutes to work and 50 minutes back home).

It is a pleasure meeting you and hope to have many " discussions " in

the future.

> welcome to the group. i been with the group now for about

4 yrs and

> I have learned alot from the group. I have had lupus now for 17

yrs I am 37

> yrs old and live in Florida. One thing about this group is that

we can cry

> whine laugh and that everyone understands on what we are going

through too. i

> have been in remission since Nov of 2003 first time I have ever

been in

> remission. I wish you all the luck in the group and I hope you

will enjoy the

> group as much as I have. They are like a second family to me.

You are in my

> prayers and thougths.

>

> Love Kimi

>

>

> Hello. My name is . . . .

Guest guest

Kimi,

Thank you for the welcome. I do believe this group will be very good

for me. I am looking forward to the laughs (for we all need those),

cries (for there will be some of those, too), and encouragement

(which is where I am lacking right now). I have been so strong for

so long that I have worn myself out, so I am frustrated with myself

during this flare and am trying to not take it out on anyone. I am

always open to lifting others up in prayer. It has been my help in

times of trouble, and is one of the few things you can do inside -

out of the sun.

How do you survive in Florida with all that beautiful sun? It was

hot here in Minnesota this last week and that really aggrevated

things. Of course it would help if I had air conditioning in the car

(I drive 50 minutes to work and 50 minutes back home).

It is a pleasure meeting you and hope to have many " discussions " in

the future.

> welcome to the group. i been with the group now for about

4 yrs and

> I have learned alot from the group. I have had lupus now for 17

yrs I am 37

> yrs old and live in Florida. One thing about this group is that

we can cry

> whine laugh and that everyone understands on what we are going

through too. i

> have been in remission since Nov of 2003 first time I have ever

been in

> remission. I wish you all the luck in the group and I hope you

will enjoy the

> group as much as I have. They are like a second family to me.

You are in my

> prayers and thougths.

>

> Love Kimi

>

>

> Hello. My name is . . . .

Guest guest

MM ---

Thank you for the welcome! It is a pleasure to meet someone who has

been living with lupus for about as long as I have been! I have a

question, though. What is Bag Balm? At this point I have so many

spots that the dermotologist said it did not pay to put any steroid

cream on them (I would have to bath in the stuff). I don't do baths

(after about 5 minutes I feel nauseous), so am trying to find

alternatives.

Just wondering if yours has been labeled as hereditary? When I was

diagnosed, it was a fluke. YEARS later, we have the following: My

maternal grandmother, my mother, me. I think it is hereditary!

Again, thank you for the welcome.

In LUPIES , minniemyno@a... wrote:

> , Hello, and welcome to the group. And, yes, honey, we

are here 24/7 for each other, with members in every time zone around

the world. I, too have had Lupus for more than 30 years. In fact,

it took most of those years for the docs to remove the word " suspect "

from my chart and just label it SLE. My tests, my rashes, my pain,

fatigue, etc. did not fit any known pattern. Duh. Don't they get

it, yet, that that is why Lupus is such a challenge? Sheesh, what a

bunch of " Maroons " , as Bugs Bunny would say.

>

> I went through years of skin biopsies, creams, steroid and non-

steroid, ointments, special baths (and believe me this one was the

hardest as I cannot get in and out of the tub without help), you name

it.

> They even sent me to two teaching university hospitals for tests.

Nada.

> Then I took matters into my own hands, and figured that if it was

this persistent a rash, maybe I was having an allergic reaction to

something, and we just couldn't find the something. So, I started

taking Allegra, and using Bag Balm on my skin. My rashes are so

much better after about six months of this, that I am continuing the

treatment. The docs are amazed. When the itching becomes too much

for me to handle, I also use Pramazone 2.4 cortisone lotion, or Sarna

lotion to soothe the nerve endings and take away the itch. I hope

this info is helpful for you.

>

> As for the isolation you feel, that, I believe, is the single most

devastating aspect of Lupus, or any other chronic illness.

As " advanced " as we are supposed to be, we are still fearful of what

we do not understand and can't change. So, we tend to avoid it.

That's why support groups started in the first place, because

patients found their loved ones couldn't handle discussing the

illness and it's challenges, frustrations, etc.

>

> Again, welcome, and I hope you write often, give advice where you

can, and just enjoy making new friends, here. Hugs, MM aka:

Mike, one of the moderators

Guest guest

, Well heredity, schmeredity, who knows? All know is that my mother was subject to lots of

lupus symptoms in the days before they would dx it, especially in rural areas with few doctors. She

grew up in northeastern Washington, near the Canadian border, and the nearest general practitioner

was 30 miles away in anothe state. She also had skin problems like mine. My Dad, on the other hand,

had RA, inherited from his mother, along with Lupus type symptoms, skin problems, and sun sensitivity. Got me. All I know is I seem to have hit the genetic jackpot, and then got chronic Lyme

Disease on top of it all more than 10 years ago. Ain't the a kick in the pants?

Now, about Bag Balm...It is an ointment that comes in a square, green can with clover blossoms

decorating the edges. Farmers use it to heal tears in cow's teats, rashes and sores on other large

farm animals. I first learned of it as a child on my great aunt's dairy farm. They used it for everything not only on the animals, but on themselves as well. So, when all else failed, I tried it on

my lesions, and it really helped heal them up. Also, since it has an anesthetic in it, it helped with

the soreness and pain, too. You can find it in most drugstores nowadays, or in farm supply places.

I get mine at Long's or Walgreen's drugs.

Let me know if it works for you. Hugs, MM

Guest guest

, Well heredity, schmeredity, who knows? All know is that my mother was subject to lots of

lupus symptoms in the days before they would dx it, especially in rural areas with few doctors. She

grew up in northeastern Washington, near the Canadian border, and the nearest general practitioner

was 30 miles away in anothe state. She also had skin problems like mine. My Dad, on the other hand,

had RA, inherited from his mother, along with Lupus type symptoms, skin problems, and sun sensitivity. Got me. All I know is I seem to have hit the genetic jackpot, and then got chronic Lyme

Now, about Bag Balm...It is an ointment that comes in a square, green can with clover blossoms

decorating the edges. Farmers use it to heal tears in cow's teats, rashes and sores on other large

farm animals. I first learned of it as a child on my great aunt's dairy farm. They used it for everything not only on the animals, but on themselves as well. So, when all else failed, I tried it on

my lesions, and it really helped heal them up. Also, since it has an anesthetic in it, it helped with

the soreness and pain, too. You can find it in most drugstores nowadays, or in farm supply places.

Guest guest

Guest guest

MM,

Thank you for the information on Bag Balm. I will be making a trip

to Walgreens tomorrow. Some of these suckers are really beginning to

irritate me! Am so glad it is Friday so I can sleep in tomorrow.

There is a standard order in our house that the first one who wakes

me up on a Saturday morning dies. I get up at 5:00 am each morning,

and sleeping in on Saturday is about 6:30 am (the dogs wake me up and

it is hard to kill something with big brown eyes.

Have a great evening!

tmb

Guest guest

MM,

Have a great evening!

tmb

Guest guest

MM,

Have a great evening!

tmb

Guest guest

Hi, Marilyn, and welcome. I, too have sweating sometimes, and mine is when my fevers break and

I just sweat buckets for a while, then get chilled if I don't change to dry clothing. Unexpected and

seemingly causeless fevers are part and parcel of Lupus, as is depression, fatigue, and pain. However, All of these symptoms can be treated, and depression is one of the easiest to treat. Our

disease causes a cycle of pain, sleep deprivation (even if you are not aware of it), and depression

which feed off each other in a downward spiral that cannot be reveresed without medical intervention. Believe me, we know of where we speak, here. LOL

Are you currently taking antidepressants? If not, why not? Ask your doc. ok? This is very important, and can mean your continued survival and improved quality of life.

Please write to the group with any more questions, add any insights you can, and feel free to have

a laugh or two, cry, whine (we offer cheese with that), vent, etc. We are here for each other 24/7

and we have members in every time zone. Loving hugs, MM aka: Mike, one of the moderators

Guest guest

Hi, Marilyn, and welcome. I, too have sweating sometimes, and mine is when my fevers break and

I just sweat buckets for a while, then get chilled if I don't change to dry clothing. Unexpected and

seemingly causeless fevers are part and parcel of Lupus, as is depression, fatigue, and pain. However, All of these symptoms can be treated, and depression is one of the easiest to treat. Our

disease causes a cycle of pain, sleep deprivation (even if you are not aware of it), and depression

which feed off each other in a downward spiral that cannot be reveresed without medical intervention. Believe me, we know of where we speak, here. LOL

Are you currently taking antidepressants? If not, why not? Ask your doc. ok? This is very important, and can mean your continued survival and improved quality of life.

Please write to the group with any more questions, add any insights you can, and feel free to have

a laugh or two, cry, whine (we offer cheese with that), vent, etc. We are here for each other 24/7

and we have members in every time zone. Loving hugs, MM aka: Mike, one of the moderators

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello, Marilyn! I hope your baby grandson gets better soon, as well as your mom.

They will be in my prayers!

Felicita

-- New to the group

Hello everyone! I am new to the group. I have been reading the emails now for about a week and you all seem so caring and loving. I relate to alot of the problems some of you are having. I was diagnosed with lupus in Dec. of 2002, os I'm pretty new to thise disease, although my Dr. thinks I've had it for years. I have migraines, Fibro, osteo-arthritis, degenerative disk with one disk completly gone, emphysema, asthma, a skin disorder from the lupus. My cartilage in my knees are gone so the bones are grinding on each other. My left shoulder has bone fragments and bone spurs that are impinging on a nerve and I will probibly need surgery. This is causing my depression to just go through the roof.I am under alot of stress right now, too. Last weekend my mother had a stroke and my grandson had a seizure and ended up in the hospital. I didn't know which was to go first. My mom is fine but, she has to be careful cuz her heart is skipping beats. Does anyone know exactly what that means? They didn't tell her. My grandson is only six months old and the E.R.Dr. wants an MRI, and CT scan done but,the two hospitals closest to them won't do them untill he has more seizures.The E.R. put that little guy through a spinal tap and the Dr. fells he'll have more seizures for some reason. So far, he hasn't. I'm hoping it was just some kind of a weird thing and he'll never have another one. He had been sick with a high fever the week before so, I'm thinking that had something to do with it. The E.R. Dr. says no since there was no infection in the spinal tap but I say the Drs. don't always no everything. I'm sorry for rattleing on here. Anywas I am 48 years old, married, and have two son's. Jerret is my oldest at 30, and Rob is 27. They each are married and have one child. Jerret a girl, 7 years old, and Rob has the six month old boy. I read in one of the emails that some of you are having trouble with sweating, so am I. Mine started about 3 months ago. My Dr. told me it's from the lupus but didn't answere me when I asked what was causing it. If anyone finds the answere I'd love to here it, too. Well, Ive kept you all long enough now. Thank you all so much for letting me in your group.Hope to get to know you all alot better. Love, Marilyn "The LUPIES Store" Come check out our store...http://www.cafepress.com/thelupies"The LUPIES Web Page"http://www.itzarion.com/lupusgroup.html"The LUPIES online photo albums!" Check out what your fellow Lupies look like...http://www.picturetrail.com/lupies

Guest guest

Hello, Marilyn! I hope your baby grandson gets better soon, as well as your mom.

Felicita

-- New to the group

Hello everyone! I am new to the group. I have been reading the emails now for about a week and you all seem so caring and loving. I relate to alot of the problems some of you are having. I was diagnosed with lupus in Dec. of 2002, os I'm pretty new to thise disease, although my Dr. thinks I've had it for years. I have migraines, Fibro, osteo-arthritis, degenerative disk with one disk completly gone, emphysema, asthma, a skin disorder from the lupus. My cartilage in my knees are gone so the bones are grinding on each other. My left shoulder has bone fragments and bone spurs that are impinging on a nerve and I will probibly need surgery. This is causing my depression to just go through the roof.I am under alot of stress right now, too. Last weekend my mother had a stroke and my grandson had a seizure and ended up in the hospital. I didn't know which was to go first. My mom is fine but, she has to be careful cuz her heart is skipping beats. Does anyone know exactly what that means? They didn't tell her. My grandson is only six months old and the E.R.Dr. wants an MRI, and CT scan done but,the two hospitals closest to them won't do them untill he has more seizures.The E.R. put that little guy through a spinal tap and the Dr. fells he'll have more seizures for some reason. So far, he hasn't. I'm hoping it was just some kind of a weird thing and he'll never have another one. He had been sick with a high fever the week before so, I'm thinking that had something to do with it. The E.R. Dr. says no since there was no infection in the spinal tap but I say the Drs. don't always no everything. I'm sorry for rattleing on here. Anywas I am 48 years old, married, and have two son's. Jerret is my oldest at 30, and Rob is 27. They each are married and have one child. Jerret a girl, 7 years old, and Rob has the six month old boy. I read in one of the emails that some of you are having trouble with sweating, so am I. Mine started about 3 months ago. My Dr. told me it's from the lupus but didn't answere me when I asked what was causing it. If anyone finds the answere I'd love to here it, too. Well, Ive kept you all long enough now. Thank you all so much for letting me in your group.Hope to get to know you all alot better. Love, Marilyn "The LUPIES Store" Come check out our store...http://www.cafepress.com/thelupies"The LUPIES Web Page"http://www.itzarion.com/lupusgroup.html"The LUPIES online photo albums!" Check out what your fellow Lupies look like...http://www.picturetrail.com/lupies

Guest guest

Felicita

-- New to the group

Guest guest

Hey DeeDee,

Welcome to the group! My name is B. There are two of us, so

I thought I would go by Puppy. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was

13, so in 1973. I have two wonderful daughters (ok, they are teens

and their brain has left them for the next three years, but they are

still good, lol). My husband can be very supportive, but at time we

both get tired of me being tired and dealing with several health

issues at the same time.

Just to let you know, this is a wonderful group for support, and

answers to many, many questions. Not just with Lupus, but with

life's general issues.

With your pins and needles, did this start in one spot and is

spreading, or has it stayed in these same areas. How long have it

been going on? I had neurapathy when I was pregnant with my second

child (back in 1989). The doctor's thought it may have started as a

virus. It started in my big toe, then spread to my foot, then

fingers, and then kept going. My OB sent me to my doctor of internal

medicine, who sent me back to my OB, etc. Finally, one sent me to a

psychiatrist and the other sent me to a neurosurgeon. I went to the

neurosurgeon first, and he danced around with excitement. He had

good news and bad news. Good news, he knew what I had. Bad news was

it would get worse before it got better, and there was no way

to " cure " it. I left with instructions to go immediately to the

hospital if I got to the point where I could not breathe. Neurapathy

is an inflammation of the nerve endings. It could affect breathing

and heart. The really good news is that it does reverse itself.

After seeing him, I went to the psychiatrist and told him I didn't

think I really needed him. After taking the hour and talking to him,

he thought I was pretty level-headed, and doing quite well upstairs.

My point (although I went around the block to get there) is to call

your doctor and describe what you are feeling. There may be several

things it could be.

Take care and let me know what they find out.

B. aka " Puppy "

> HI, I AM NEW TO THE SUPPORT GROUP AND I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO TO

> CONTACT OTHERS. . . I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS. RIGHT NOW I

CONSTANTLY HAVE PINS AND NEEDLES IN MY FEET AND HANDS. IS THIS

SOMETHING THAT ANYONE ELSE HAS? OR IS THIS TOTALLY UNRELATED TO THE

LUPUS??

>

> THANKS,

> DEEDEE

Guest guest

DeeDee, You are describing what I call the Zing! Zap! Zoomers!, and what my late father called,

"Aunt Agatha's Traveling Pains". Yeah, it's pretty common to have peripheral neuropathy with Lupus

and many other autoimmune diseases, such as Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, and when you have brain

involvement. However, there are medications which can help, and also homeopathic remedies which

also can help. Neurontin and Topomax are commonly prescribed for peripheral neuropathy.

Herbal foot baths, warm medicinal wax treatments, and massage can also be helpful. When my pains

are especially bad, I am helped by taking prescription strength Allegra. It not only helps with this

type of pain, but also does a great job on the under the skin itching to which we are susceptible.

Hope this is helpful information. Hugs, MM