RemedySpot.com

Re: Another Rash/Helmet question & I summed up info received

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Maritza, I just wanted to tell you my experience. My daughter Gia was allergic to the foam in her Starband. I posted pictures of her rash (Gias rash). Her rash only appeared where the helmet touched. It made a perfect outline and it showed up right away. It also cleared quickly once the helmet was removed. Never came back once I got the Aliplast foam in the helmet. Now Gia does have eczema that showed up everywhere but her head 2 months after we started the helmet and she also has some food allergies...yay for us!! The reaction to the foam was obvious there was no question what it was. I would ask for a referral to a dermatologist if you can't get things cleared up. Hope this helps, Eryn, Gia 11.5 months tort/plagio/craniofacial microsomia Starband 9/18/06 Donovan 8

yearsMaritza Kim <marzkim@...> wrote: Hi everyone, I have one question, then I am just summing up here thesuggestions I have received. This helps me out so I can think throughwhat to do, as well as hopefully help anyone in the future who does asearch on rash & helmets. :)?? Anyone who had a rash reaction to the helmet foam ever see it showup as long as 3 weeks after first using it? FYI, I used it therecommended break in period, then did 23/7 wear, then for a few days,Zachary had

a bad cold with super runny nose & slight fever, so I kepthelmet off a few days. Then, rash developed after putting helmet back on.First to update my situation: his rash is still coming and going. Hiseyelids are dry & somewhat thick looking, and there is a light rashissue still on the trunk of his body (nothing on hands, arms, legs.) Of course, I have searched the medical sites for rash related thingsso I can keep an eye on rare weird/scary stuff, but he seems safe fromserious issues since he hasn't had a bad fever with it, as well, hehas a healthy happy demeanor. He saw the Dr. yesterday, and theytested for strep in case it was a strep related rash (i.e. scarletfever.) They ruled that out. She suggested keeping the benedrylgoing every 4-6 hours until the rash is completely gone, and thengoing even one more day after that. Also, I have applied 2.5%hydrocortisone cream to the worst areas. I do Eucercin lotion

severaltimes a day. It is a little better, but not gone. I think the rash isjust hanging out for a while under the surface, because you can tellhe's not totally healthy looking. But no fever or other symptoms. TheDr. said yesterday that he could have had an initial problem with acontact skin thing (like wool) and ever since, whenever the skin getsaggravated, it will come back. On the other hand, we are watching tosee if Wheat might be a problem for him. What a bummer that would be!I don't think there were brand new foods started right before the rashbroke out initially on December 10th. But maybe it took over a week toshow the wheat issue? Also, it was 3 weeks after the helmet wasstarted. So just wondering if a rash due to the helmet itself wouldshow up so late. That's my current question!On to the the summary of info:1.Be sure to rule out food & contact skin allergies. Allergy testingcan reveal

specific issues like a dairy or chocolate allergy. Dramaticimprovements have shown after dealing with food allergies.2.If it's heat rash, try a little & cornstarch in thehelmet once or twice a day, but be sure not to use too much. Applylotion whenever dry skin flares up.3.It is possible to be allergic to the foam in the STARband.Fortunately, Orthomerica, makers of the STARband, can make a band witha hypoallergenic foam called Aliplast. If you've ruled out other allergies4.Some have used Desitin and it cleared up heat rash. Watch for skinbreakdown due to pressure against the helmet, though. It could leadto the need for antibiotics & keeping the helmet off for a longerperiod of time. Make sure to take care of any rash issues that ariseso it doesn't get out of hand.5.Some have experienced dry skin problems after beginning helmet use.For these, they took the helmet off once in a.m.

& once in p.m.,applying lotion at that time (make sure it absorbs into skin.)6. Make sure to wipe under chin area using a dry cloth (drooling can makearea moist & irritated.) If a yeast infection develops, Lotrimin mightbe advised by the pediatrician to deal with it.7.An eczema issue was descibed as: "his eye lids were peeling and brokenand seeping blood a little bit...His arm was completely crusted overand turned a brownish or yellowish...It did tend to move aroundsometimes too. They looked like little red pimples or something, butall together and all over. It took going to the pediatrician 4 timesbefore they realized it was eczema." >

>> > Hi there!> > Anyone ever heard of a body rash on the baby due to using the > helmet?> > Or maybe an adverse reaction to the alcohol I use to clean the > helmet?> > > > I'm having a real problem with rash on my son. It started two weeks> > ago on his face & neck. After seeing the pediatrician, it seemed it> > might have to do with his cold, so he took Dimetapp with an> > antihistimine, and it cleared up mostly. However, it remained on > his> > neck and got a little on his tummy. So, I saw the doctor again this> > week, and he prescribed a 2.5% hydro cortisone cream to use > sparingly,> > and then Eucerin Lotion to use 3-4 times a day. I did that, and it> > cleared up almost completely. He was totally clear for just over a> > day. That's coincidentally when he had his appointment at CIRS with> >

the orthotist, and he checkd out great there.> > > > This morning, he woke up with a pink semi-swollen left eyelid. By> > afternoon, the right eye was swollen, and by bathtime at night, he > was> > rashy all over his back, tummy, and the folds of his neck were > pretty> > red. The rash has fine red bumps. > > > > This battle with a rash has kept me from being able to keep his > helmet> > on 23/7. He only wears it half the time (if that.) Despite that, I > am> > super super pleased with how things have turned out for him so far. > > He's really rounding out, not only do I see it but my friends see > the> > changes also. I'm just bummed that I am having trouble keeping the> > helmet on when I don't know what's going on with the rash. > Especially> > since I paid out of pocket, and I came into this

experience very> > committed to seeing the helmet all the way through. > > > > So- heard of any allergies due to helmet use? or any related > reason?> > > > -Maritza> > Pleasant Hill, CA> > mom to Zach, 8 months, brachycephaly- Starband started 11/17/06> > and Nate, 3.5 years, toddlercrazyphaly :)> > > > P.S., it's not hives, he's breathing fine, and has no fever that I > can> > tell. It's not anything like measels or chicken pox either, since my> > mom's a retired nurse and she lives here with me. It mostly seems to> > be just some kind of skin reaction. At least I hope that's what it> > is; I am worried and hoping he's OK as he sleeps tonite, but my mom > is> > reassuring me. I am taking him to the pediatrician's office > tomorrow> > morning since they are open Saturday

mornings.> >> __________________________________________________

First, thanks for the summary. You have probably saved many of us from countless hours searching for possibilities and treatments for that rash. Second, the wheat allergy thing ends up being not as bad as one might initially think. My husband's cousin's daughter had it. It came out of the blue. All of a sudden she would wake up screaming throughout the night, and she also had a rash with it. Once you figure out (if it really is a wheat allergy) the foods your baby can/cannot eat, it becomes pretty easy to accommodate. Best of luck to you! mk __________________________________________________

hi - i have a question about number 4 in the summary. does any one know what skin break down looks like? and what is meant by skin break down due to pressure against the helmet? what would be causing pressure against the helmet? madi had the sideburn rash, so i was putting .5 hydrocortisone once in a while. now her skin there seems thin and has lightened. i don't know what is worse the rash or the lighter skin. is this possibly a skin break down? thanks, candice, nyMaritza Kim <marzkim@...> wrote: Hi everyone, I have one question, then I am just summing up here thesuggestions I have received. This helps me out so I can think throughwhat to do, as well as hopefully help anyone in the future who does asearch on rash & helmets. :)?? Anyone who had a rash reaction to the helmet foam ever see it showup as long as 3 weeks after first using it? FYI, I used it therecommended break in period, then did 23/7 wear, then for a few days,Zachary had a bad cold with super runny nose & slight fever, so I kepthelmet off a few days. Then, rash developed after putting helmet back on.First to update my situation: his rash is still coming and going. Hiseyelids are dry & somewhat thick looking, and there is a light rashissue still on the trunk of his body (nothing on hands, arms, legs.) Of course, I have searched the medical sites for rash related

thingsso I can keep an eye on rare weird/scary stuff, but he seems safe fromserious issues since he hasn't had a bad fever with it, as well, hehas a healthy happy demeanor. He saw the Dr. yesterday, and theytested for strep in case it was a strep related rash (i.e. scarletfever.) They ruled that out. She suggested keeping the benedrylgoing every 4-6 hours until the rash is completely gone, and thengoing even one more day after that. Also, I have applied 2.5%hydrocortisone cream to the worst areas. I do Eucercin lotion severaltimes a day. It is a little better, but not gone. I think the rash isjust hanging out for a while under the surface, because you can tellhe's not totally healthy looking. But no fever or other symptoms. TheDr. said yesterday that he could have had an initial problem with acontact skin thing (like wool) and ever since, whenever the skin getsaggravated, it will come back. On the other hand, we are

watching tosee if Wheat might be a problem for him. What a bummer that would be!I don't think there were brand new foods started right before the rashbroke out initially on December 10th. But maybe it took over a week toshow the wheat issue? Also, it was 3 weeks after the helmet wasstarted. So just wondering if a rash due to the helmet itself wouldshow up so late. That's my current question!On to the the summary of info:1.Be sure to rule out food & contact skin allergies. Allergy testingcan reveal specific issues like a dairy or chocolate allergy. Dramaticimprovements have shown after dealing with food allergies.2.If it's heat rash, try a little & cornstarch in thehelmet once or twice a day, but be sure not to use too much. Applylotion whenever dry skin flares up.3.It is possible to be allergic to the foam in the STARband.Fortunately, Orthomerica, makers of the STARband,

can make a band witha hypoallergenic foam called Aliplast. If you've ruled out other allergies4.Some have used Desitin and it cleared up heat rash. Watch for skinbreakdown due to pressure against the helmet, though. It could leadto the need for antibiotics & keeping the helmet off for a longerperiod of time. Make sure to take care of any rash issues that ariseso it doesn't get out of hand.5.Some have experienced dry skin problems after beginning helmet use.For these, they took the helmet off once in a.m. & once in p.m.,applying lotion at that time (make sure it absorbs into skin.)6. Make sure to wipe under chin area using a dry cloth (drooling can makearea moist & irritated.) If a yeast infection develops, Lotrimin mightbe advised by the pediatrician to deal with it.7.An eczema issue was descibed as: "his eye lids were peeling and brokenand seeping blood a little bit...His arm was

completely crusted overand turned a brownish or yellowish...It did tend to move aroundsometimes too. They looked like little red pimples or something, butall together and all over. It took going to the pediatrician 4 timesbefore they realized it was eczema." > >> > Hi there!> > Anyone ever heard of a body rash on the baby due to using the > helmet?> > Or maybe an adverse reaction to the alcohol I use to clean the > helmet?> > > > I'm having a real problem with rash on my son. It started two weeks> > ago on his face & neck. After seeing the pediatrician, it seemed it> > might have to do with

his cold, so he took Dimetapp with an> > antihistimine, and it cleared up mostly. However, it remained on > his> > neck and got a little on his tummy. So, I saw the doctor again this> > week, and he prescribed a 2.5% hydro cortisone cream to use > sparingly,> > and then Eucerin Lotion to use 3-4 times a day. I did that, and it> > cleared up almost completely. He was totally clear for just over a> > day. That's coincidentally when he had his appointment at CIRS with> > the orthotist, and he checkd out great there.> > > > This morning, he woke up with a pink semi-swollen left eyelid. By> > afternoon, the right eye was swollen, and by bathtime at night, he > was> > rashy all over his back, tummy, and the folds of his neck were > pretty> > red. The rash has fine red bumps. > > > > This battle with a rash has

kept me from being able to keep his > helmet> > on 23/7. He only wears it half the time (if that.) Despite that, I > am> > super super pleased with how things have turned out for him so far. > > He's really rounding out, not only do I see it but my friends see > the> > changes also. I'm just bummed that I am having trouble keeping the> > helmet on when I don't know what's going on with the rash. > Especially> > since I paid out of pocket, and I came into this experience very> > committed to seeing the helmet all the way through. > > > > So- heard of any allergies due to helmet use? or any related > reason?> > > > -Maritza> > Pleasant Hill, CA> > mom to Zach, 8 months, brachycephaly- Starband started 11/17/06> > and Nate, 3.5 years, toddlercrazyphaly :)> > > > P.S., it's not hives,

he's breathing fine, and has no fever that I > can> > tell. It's not anything like measels or chicken pox either, since my> > mom's a retired nurse and she lives here with me. It mostly seems to> > be just some kind of skin reaction. At least I hope that's what it> > is; I am worried and hoping he's OK as he sleeps tonite, but my mom > is> > reassuring me. I am taking him to the pediatrician's office > tomorrow> > morning since they are open Saturday mornings.> >> __________________________________________________