RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: Good News/Bad News

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had to look up ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) is breathing failure that can occur in critically ill persons with underlying illnesses

Hello PSC Family,I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything

associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was

on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so.

I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the office working a limited schedule.The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting

from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience? -- Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

I had to look up ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) is breathing failure that can occur in critically ill persons with underlying illnesses

Hello PSC Family,I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything

associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was

on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so.

I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the office working a limited schedule.The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting

from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience? -- Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

I!m sorry for not including what ARDS stands for; you are right it is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome which appears to be a catch-all for a myriad of things that can go wrong with the lungs due to a catastrophic illness. More specifically, my diagnosis was Cryptogenic Organizing Pneumonia (COP). I still would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and how are you doing?--------------------------Sent using BlackBerry Re: Good News/Bad NewsI had to look up ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) is breathing failure that can occur in critically ill persons with underlying illnessesOn 5/9/08, jbrock73003 > wrote: Hello PSC Family, I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so. I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the office working a limited schedule. The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience? --Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

I!m sorry for not including what ARDS stands for; you are right it is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome which appears to be a catch-all for a myriad of things that can go wrong with the lungs due to a catastrophic illness. More specifically, my diagnosis was Cryptogenic Organizing Pneumonia (COP). I still would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and how are you doing?--------------------------Sent using BlackBerry Re: Good News/Bad NewsI had to look up ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) is breathing failure that can occur in critically ill persons with underlying illnessesOn 5/9/08, jbrock73003 > wrote: Hello PSC Family, I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so. I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the office working a limited schedule. The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience? --Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jon -- congrats on pulling through all that you have been through. And being

back at work!

Your post reads more like good news/good news to me!

Regards,

Colleen

Guest guest

back at work!

Regards,

Colleen

Guest guest

back at work!

Regards,

Colleen

Guest guest

JBrock, I, too, go to Integris Baptist here in OKC. My hep doc is Harlan and when I get my transplant it will be by Dr. Sabastian. He is such a kind man as well as a great surgeon. I was on the list until about a month ago. They discovered I have an infection in one of my vertebrae and I was removed from the list for this to be treated. I am now going thru home IV infustions of antibiotics and will hopefully get back on the list soon. All of the doctors we have dealt with have been very knowledgable and have been very thorough. My PSC has progressed quite a bit in the last six months and I am so ready to get my life back. Right now the infection as well as a fractured vertebrae have left me with a lot of back pain. This disease has caused me to have a much greater sense of patience, perserverance and humility. God has a way of teaching us lessons maybe we would not otherwise learn. Did you go to the Celebration of Life at Integris this past year? Maybe we rubbed elbows. Just wanted to share a bit about where I am in the progression of the disease and and the effect it has had on my life. Blessings, OKCjbrock73003 wrote: Hello PSC Family,I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver

transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so.I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the office working a limited schedule.The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has

really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience?

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Jon, Thank you for the encouragement. I have been in so much pain with my back that the days just drag by. I have not been able to do much around the house at all and that makes for a long day. Luckily my husband works out of our home and has been trying to do his work as well as nursemaid me. Bummer I am not used to a sedentary lifestyle. I especially liked the scripture verse you mentioned. I wrote it down and hang on to that hope. Blessings, OKC "Brock, Jon" wrote: , Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the Integris Celebration of Life last year but I look forward to making all such meetings in the future. I’m so sorry to hear of your infection and temporary drop from the list. Hopefully, you will get your transplant soon and begin the road to getting your life back. Like so many have said, I didn’t know how sick I was until I experienced life with my new liver. I am so

thankful. As I said in my previous message my surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and we couldn’t be happier with the outcome. I, too, had Dr. as my hep doc and my wife and I shout his praises to the house tops! With the other Surgeons, Doctors, and staffs we are so fortunate to have such quality service in Oklahoma City. I mentioned before that my call was on December 21 of last year. A couple of days earlier I was going through a time of discouragement when a Bible verse came to mind: Habakkuk 2:3 (Living Bible), “….Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for it will surely come to pass,

just be patient, it will not be overdue a single day.” Be encouraged, Jon From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of BakerSent: Monday, May 12, 2008 11:41 AMTo: Subject: Re: Good News/Bad News JBrock, I, too, go to Integris Baptist here in OKC. My hep doc is Harlan and when I get my transplant it will be by Dr. Sabastian. He is such a kind man as well as a great surgeon. I was on the list until about a month ago. They discovered I have an infection in one of my vertebrae and I was removed from the list for this to be treated. I am now going thru home IV infustions of antibiotics and will hopefully get back on the list soon. All of the doctors we have dealt with have been very knowledgable and have been very thorough. My PSC has progressed quite a bit in the last six months and I am so ready to get my life back. Right now the infection as well as a fractured vertebrae have

left me with a lot of back pain. This disease has caused me to have a much greater sense of patience, perserverance and humility. God has a way of teaching us lessons maybe we would not otherwise learn. Did you go to the Celebration of Life at Integris this past year? Maybe we rubbed elbows. Just wanted to share a bit about where I am in the progression of the disease and and the effect it has had on my life. Blessings, OKCjbrock73003 <jon.brock (AT) oesc (DOT) state.ok.us> wrote: Hello PSC

Family,I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so.I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the

office working a limited schedule.The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience? Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Jon, Thank you for the encouragement. I have been in so much pain with my back that the days just drag by. "Brock, Jon" wrote: , Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the

Integris Celebration of Life last year but I look forward to making all such meetings in the future. I’m so sorry to hear of your infection and temporary drop from the list. Hopefully, you will get your transplant soon and begin the road to getting your life back. Like so many have said, I didn’t know how sick I was until I experienced life with my new liver. I am so thankful. As I said in my previous message my surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and we couldn’t be happier with the outcome. I, too, had Dr. as my hep doc and my wife and I shout his praises to the house tops! With the other Surgeons, Doctors, and staffs we are so fortunate to have such quality service in

Oklahoma City. I mentioned before that my call was on December 21 of last year. A couple of days earlier I was going through a time of discouragement when a Bible verse came to mind: Habakkuk 2:3 (Living Bible), “….Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for it will surely come to pass, just be patient, it will not be overdue a single day.” Be encouraged, Jon From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of BakerSent: Monday, May 12, 2008 11:41

AMTo: Subject: Re: Good News/Bad News JBrock, I, too, go to Integris Baptist here in OKC. My hep doc is Harlan and when I get my transplant it will be by Dr. Sabastian. He is such a kind man as well as a great surgeon. I was on the list until about a

month ago. They discovered I have an infection in one of my vertebrae and I was removed from the list for this to be treated. I am now going thru home IV infustions of antibiotics and will hopefully get back on the list soon. All of the doctors we have dealt with have been very knowledgable and have been very thorough. My PSC has progressed quite a bit in the last six months and I am so ready to get my life back. Right now the infection as well as a fractured vertebrae have left me with a lot of back pain. This disease has caused me to have a much greater sense of patience, perserverance and humility. God has a way of teaching us lessons maybe we would not otherwise learn. Did you go to the

Celebration of Life at Integris this past year? Maybe we rubbed elbows. Just wanted to share a bit about where I am in the progression of the disease and and the effect it has had on my life. Blessings, OKCjbrock73003 <jon.brock (AT) oesc (DOT) state.ok.us> wrote: Hello PSC Family,I'm thrilled to report that on December 21st, I received the gift of life through a liver transplant at Baptist Integris Hospital here in Oklahoma City. My surgeon was Dr. Sabastian and everything associated with the transplant went perfectly. Unfortunately, however, three days after surgery I began to have extreme difficulty breathing and was put back in ICU for nearly fifty days with a

diagnosis of ARDS. I don't remember much of what happened due to the drugs but was on a respirator and came very close to passing away. For a while I required 15 to 21 liters of oxygen and now my requirement is as low as 1 to zero while sitting still but with the slightest exertion my O2 requirement bounces up to 7 or so.I'm happy to report that after eighty-two days in the hospital, I was released with home health care and now I am finishing my second week in the office working a limited schedule.The good news was the liver transplant and all the benefits resulting from it; the bad news is the ARDS which has really curtailed my recovery. Has anyone in the group had a similar experience? Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.