RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

horseback riding

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Mine is 8 and has been doing hippotherapy through Midwest Therapeutic Riding Program in WI - there are a number of these types of places out there but this one is local for us and our insurace covers it as OT. If it is not OT related insurance usually does not cover but sometimes waiver money will. It has been so magical for him. He had issues with being agressive towards animals and at age 4 broke a kittens leg with no remorse- about $700 later the kitten was okay, but I realized then we needed to do something to teach him to be safe and kind towards animals and to help him develop empathy and understanding of others' perspectives. The kitten was scared and scratched him and he felt he was justified in hurting it since it hurt him.

Long story short, it was a year long waiting list and took a referral from a doctor and lots of upfront paper work, but he finally got in a year later and has been going weekly ever since. Some have therapeutic riding but there is a a significant difference in the cost and coverage and outcome, I believe. My son really has developed so nicely in this hippotherapy program- he now takes much pride in making one of the horses smile by scrathing her tummy and would really prefer to just rub her and scratch her the entire time if we let him- it is great for coordination, proprioceptive and vestibular input and all the grooming, tacking up (saddling) and stuff really develops their muscles- He weighs 50 pounds and can now lift a 40 pound saddle- he started off with a walker ( a therapist ) next to him and a leader ( a volunteer) leading a halterred horse, but a year and a half later he is now trustworthy and accomplished enough to

ride with no walker and steering a bitless horse ( no metal in its mouth to make it turn or stop). He has been in two special needs horse shows there and learned a tremendous amount, plus got a couple cute trophies and tshirts he is so proud of. In the beginning, he did not really like it, but since his sister rides in 4H I knew he had to learn how to be safe around a barn and these animals - the kitten wa actually owned by someone letting my daughter use one of their horses - he previously was not kind, would dart in and out, and not follow directions, make loud noises and do basically everything around a horse he could to freak it out, sometimes on purpose and sometimes because he had no safety awareness.

We also got a dog to teach him these skills as well and to reinforce hwo to work with animals, but over the course of treatment he has really come to enjoy it and now actually looks forward to going. I think of it as one of the fun therapies that you really don't even think of as therapy after a while. This is perfect for him because he is so brilliant and highfunctioning otherwise that a lot of therapies he is insulted by and will refuse to cooperate with because he is hurt thinking anyone thinks there is anything different about him or reason he woudl need therapy. He has progressed a lot and I am so grateful to , who no matter how ornary he was, if I brought him kicking and screaming that day, could get him to smile and turn around in a few minutes flat. i woudl also ask her if she could share her secret. She would laugh and say "Do you have a horse?" or "Get a horse!" It is hard to admit, but he kind of takes

pleasure in other peoples downfalls, so she got that right away and would dare him, and challenge him to beat her or tell him if he could do something really hard she would even roll in the dirt if he won a contest, bet, or could do a really hard math problem- sounds crazy- but 6 grown women rolled in the dirt all beacuse my son did what everyone thought he couldn't - to this day he still talks about that and how funny it was - and he still goes and learns new things, improves his balance, strength and coordination, and is learning to love animals, treat them with respect, how to be safe and follow directions in a chaotic environment, and has a cool skill now he can tell his peers about, plus a couple trophies he is very proud of as well.

it reminds me of that "welcome to holland poem"- in the beginning I thought he would be bringing home baseball trophies and soccer trophies like so many soccer moms do, etc. but now I am so proud of his hippotherapy trophies and what it stands for- the progress, him being able to be around someones' pet without him hurting it or getting hurt. he has since joined special needs baseball and soccer teams and gets trophies from those but when I look at the horse one, it just means so much more to me- it stands for his growth and for him becoming softer, kinder, etc.

At this same place we see all sorts of kids with different abilities, one such boy has mroe profound autism thatn my son and bats at the horses and screaches. They actually had my son working with this boy and the horse to teach him how be around the horses, it totally made me cry that for that day my son got to be the demonstrator of how to work with animals and to show this boy how not to bat at the horses or scream around it. It was one of those days that Iw ill never forget- that my son was able to be the role model - the same little boy banned from that other farm just a year or so before that my daughter had been ridng at. I still get choked up when I think about that.

i woudl reccommend it for anyone who can find access to it, no matter what teh level of the child's ability, i have seen it work miracles for so many over there.

you can check out their facilitya nd what they say it helps with at http://mtrpinc.org/benefits.html

http://mtrpinc.org/whatishippotherapy.html

http://mtrpinc.org/whocanbenefit.html

this gives a pretty good idea of what it is all about. i wuld definitely research the people offering it though to make sure they are qualified- there are half - __ed barns that offer this btu are not qualified and really are not running a safe operation - go visit and watch session in action - there should not be more than a one child per therapist and usually it is one therapist and two volunteers or parents involved at teh very beginning for each child, until they build the right coordination - horses should be super calm, not skiddish and should not even think about going more than a walk witha child on their back, at least until directed to do so...

It is wonderful if you find the right place and funding to keep it going - really it takes quite a few sessions, so if you can not do it long term, money might be better spent elsewhere, beacause it is expensive if you don't have insurance to pay for it or a lot of money tucked away. someplaces have sliding scales for families that can not pay, some fundraise to help keep costs down. Ours does both I think, but if you can not commit to more than 8 sessions, I would wait until you had the funding to keep it going, because they needs lots of repetition with something like this to have it really have much effect.

Good luck~

From: lmoorhead4 <lmoorhead4@...>Subject: ( ) Horseback riding Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 9:17 AM

I was wondering if any of your kids are in to horseback riding. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was really good for kids on the spectrum...something about connecting with horses while not having to connect with them socially I think. I guess I would just have to let my daughter give it a try. It's pretty expensive so I wanted to ask if any of you had experience with it before I wrote the big check!Thanks, in AL

Guest guest

Look into hippotherapy as some areas have charities that do it so may

be cheaper or free. Since my dd is high functioning and our ymca has

it (read much closer and fairly cheap) we opted for lessons instead.

She loves it, never gives them any trouble, willingly does her barn

chores, has something in common with the kids there without having to

do the team sport thing though she has " classmates " b/c its small

group (3-4 kids) lessons. It is amazing the reports I get when they

do end of session evaluations, things I'd never expect from her, " lots

of confidence " , " great student " , " learns fast " , I'm always shocked.

Then her self esteem skyrocketed when she won ribbons at the show.

She didn't even get frustrated when her 1st ribbons weren't 1st place.

Though she was ecstatic when her last ribbon was 1st. She doesn't

have any sensory issues on the horse (despite wearing boots and

gloves). Though she does have some issues before with getting her

boots on. She doesn't even get frustrated and give up when the horse

is being stubborn. That said, it wasn't the miracle cure therapy I

secretly hoped for lol

On 10/27/10, lmoorhead4 <lmoorhead4@...> wrote:

> I was wondering if any of your kids are in to horseback riding. I think I

> remember reading somewhere that it was really good for kids on the

> spectrum...something about connecting with horses while not having to

> connect with them socially I think. I guess I would just have to let my

> daughter give it a try. It's pretty expensive so I wanted to ask if any of

> you had experience with it before I wrote the big check!

>

> Thanks,

>

> in AL

>

>

--

Sent from my mobile device

-mommy to Emma, Becca, ,

, , and Leah

Guest guest

I own horses myself and know alot of people that use the horses as therapy. It

is wonderful for them, horse have a soothing effect on everyone plus they dont

judge the person on their backs. I would highly recommend it. My son doesnt like

riding but he does have a loving bond with a little pug.

> >

> > I was wondering if any of your kids are in to horseback riding. I think I

remember reading somewhere that it was really good for kids on the

spectrum...something about connecting with horses while not having to connect

with them socially I think. I guess I would just have to let my daughter give

it a try. It's pretty expensive so I wanted to ask if any of you had experience

with it before I wrote the big check!

> >

> > Thanks,

> >

> > in AL

> >

>

Guest guest

i think thats a huge misconception that what 1 gets another gets, my hfa is my only rider (though my 5 yr old would like  to one day she isnt old enough and understands that).  just like my hfa doesnt go to storytime with her or whatever.  each kid has something different, at different times and b/c of budget and time constraints they are limited to only 1 fall and 1 spring activity.  we took off fall b/c i was expecting 7/24 (born 7/28) at the encouragement of dh (i had always just overstressed myself by not taking time off with a new baby) and am glad i did b/c she is a temperamental bugger.  but last yr my hfa did riding and it was pricey compared to other things we did b/c it was $40 a month.  my 14 and 5 yr olds did soccer (i steer toward sports for fresh air, exercise and its cheap) at only about $50 for the whole season per kid.  then my hfa, 5 yr old and 3 yr old did baseball (even cheaper at only $35 a kid).  we will be getting back into things starting with flag football for the 3 yr old next month, when that ends we will have riding and soccer.  i also no longer do mommy and me pricey things for the littles like i did with my 1st b/c they dont know the difference between gymboree and little gym or free storytime and free playgroup so since the youngest 2 dont do anything that saves some $$.  if they go on a trail ride (we havent yet but they want to) the ones that want to go (and are old enough, they have to be 8) have to earn the $$ to pay themselves ($15 each person).  dh takes them (i dont do horseback riding) and i watch the ones that are too young to ride (the 5,3,2 and 2 mo old).  yes if you lost count thats 6 kids.  you have to get creative with a big family, especially since we are on 15 yrs of only 1 income.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM, <kristieannesmama@...> wrote:

NO way...way too expensive and even though I am sure that it is worth it, we can't afford it no way no how, not in a million years. We have 5 kids, and we can't take one without taking them all so unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do. :( I heard that it is great for the kids too, and I was DYING to take the kids on a ride (the boys would LOVE it) but then I gave birth to our youngest (who even in the Spring will be too young to ride) and we can't do it because they aren't set up to accomodate large families. Our 3 year old wouldn't be able to ride either and we have noone to watch the younger 2. Sigh. What a wonderful idea though! I hope that some of the other moms and dads (we do have a dad or two here?) can take advantage of this and I hope the kids have a blast with it. :)

In a message dated 10/27/2010 10:48:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lmoorhead4@... writes:

I was wondering if any of your kids are in to horseback riding. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was really good for kids on the spectrum...something about connecting with horses while not having to connect with them socially I think. I guess I would just have to let my daughter give it a try. It's pretty expensive so I wanted to ask if any of you had experience with it before I wrote the big check!

Thanks, in AL

-- -mommy to Emma, Becca, , , , and Leah

Guest guest

I know a women that is leasing a pony for her disabled grandson she pays $100 a month and she gets to use the pony 3 days a week. This is the cheapest way to do it if you dont know how to ride yourself most kids do really well on a lead line with you walking them around. http://www.etsy.com/shop/pigdreams

From: Durocher <funwith4@...> Sent: Wed, October 27, 2010 12:28:22 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Horseback riding

i think thats a huge misconception that what 1 gets another gets, my hfa is my only rider (though my 5 yr old would like to one day she isnt old enough and understands that). just like my hfa doesnt go to storytime with her or whatever. each kid has something different, at different times and b/c of budget and time constraints they are limited to only 1 fall and 1 spring activity. we took off fall b/c i was expecting 7/24 (born 7/28) at the encouragement of dh (i had always just overstressed myself by not taking time off with a new baby) and am glad i did b/c she is a temperamental bugger. but last yr my hfa did riding and it was pricey compared to other things we did b/c it was $40 a month. my 14 and 5 yr olds did soccer (i steer toward sports for fresh air, exercise and its cheap) at only about $50 for the whole season per kid. then my hfa, 5 yr old and 3 yr old did baseball (even cheaper at only $35 a

kid). we will be getting back into things starting with flag football for the 3 yr old next month, when that ends we will have riding and soccer. i also no longer do mommy and me pricey things for the littles like i did with my 1st b/c they dont know the difference between gymboree and little gym or free storytime and free playgroup so since the youngest 2 dont do anything that saves some $$. if they go on a trail ride (we havent yet but they want to) the ones that want to go (and are old enough, they have to be 8) have to earn the $$ to pay themselves ($15 each person). dh takes them (i dont do horseback riding) and i watch the ones that are too young to ride (the 5,3,2 and 2 mo old). yes if you lost count thats 6 kids. you have to get creative with a big family, especially since we are on 15 yrs of only 1 income.

NO way...way too expensive and even though I am sure that it is worth it, we can't afford it no way no how, not in a million years. We have 5 kids, and we can't take one without taking them all so unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do. :( I heard that it is great for the kids too, and I was DYING to take the kids on a ride (the boys would LOVE it) but then I gave birth to our youngest (who even in the Spring will be too young to ride) and we can't do it because they aren't set up to accomodate large families. Our 3 year old wouldn't be able to ride either and we have noone to watch the younger 2. Sigh. What a wonderful idea though! I hope that some of the other moms and dads (we do have a dad or two here?) can take advantage of this and I hope the kids have a blast with it. :)

In a message dated 10/27/2010 10:48:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lmoorhead4@... writes:

I was wondering if any of your kids are in to horseback riding. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was really good for kids on the spectrum...something about connecting with horses while not having to connect with them socially I think. I guess I would just have to let my daughter give it a try. It's pretty expensive so I wanted to ask if any of you had experience with it before I wrote the big check!Thanks, in AL

Guest guest

I took my kids to horse therapy this summer. My son (AS with Sensory Seeking Behavior) who is 9 and my daughter (sensory "issues") who is 10 both loved it. My son was put in an Anger Management Class and my daughter a Self Esteem Class. They had trained therapists who talked to them for the first hour and then they worked with the horses for the second hour. It was about 6 or 8 sessions. My son was having lots of problems with anger (meltdowns, hitting, kicking, biting, etc. everyone and that included us and teachers and everything). With the horses he was totally calm and did as directed almost every single time. Even in the hour of "class" time he minded most the time because he knew that he would see the horses afterward. He was so calm and proud when I watched him with the horses. My daughter had a great time, made a new friend and seemed a bit more coordinated around the horses. However, once the class was over calm time ended for my son. He was not as aggressive over the summer, but has since had some issues at school. They only do their programs in the summer or I would have them both in year round (if I could afford such a thing!). We will definitely look at going back next summer. Not a miracle "cure", but I did notice some differences.

Beth

( ) Horseback riding

Guest guest

That is really neat! Too bad 1) we don't really have anywhere near-by us that has horses (we are in the city and the country-side is maybe 30 minutes away?) and we can't afford $100/month with a mortgage, a car payment (almost done yay!!) and the kids always needing something or the other...plus all the household things we need monthly like toilet paper and paper towels, which comes out of my spending money because what I deposit in the bank barely covers the bills. I am the only one with income (SSI for the boys and Disability for myself) so it gets rough some months. Thank goodness for Food Stamps, free lunches at school for the kids and the income I do have. I am so grateful for it. :)

If you can afford something like this, then that is wonderful and the kids will definitely get so much out of it. :) I am happy for all that can afford it...we just can't and I accept that. It is just how it is right now, and that is fine.

In a message dated 10/28/2010 9:29:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, saldovia60@... writes:

I know a women that is leasing a pony for her disabled grandson she pays $100 a month and she gets to use the pony 3 days a week. This is the cheapest way to do it if you dont know how to ride yourself most kids do really well on a lead line with you walking them around. http://www.etsy.com/shop/pigdreams

From: Durocher <funwith4@...> Sent: Wed, October 27, 2010 12:28:22 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Horseback riding

i think thats a huge misconception that what 1 gets another gets, my hfa is my only rider (though my 5 yr old would like to one day she isnt old enough and understands that). just like my hfa doesnt go to storytime with her or whatever. each kid has something different, at different times and b/c of budget and time constraints they are limited to only 1 fall and 1 spring activity. we took off fall b/c i was expecting 7/24 (born 7/28) at the encouragement of dh (i had always just overstressed myself by not taking time off with a new baby) and am glad i did b/c she is a temperamental bugger. but last yr my hfa did riding and it was pricey compared to other things we did b/c it was $40 a month. my 14 and 5 yr olds did soccer (i steer toward sports for fresh air, exercise and its cheap) at only about $50 for the whole season per kid. then my hfa, 5 yr old and 3 yr old did baseball (even cheaper at only $35 a kid). we will be getting back into things starting with flag football for the 3 yr old next month, when that ends we will have riding and soccer. i also no longer do mommy and me pricey things for the littles like i did with my 1st b/c they dont know the difference between gymboree and little gym or free storytime and free playgroup so since the youngest 2 dont do anything that saves some $$. if they go on a trail ride (we havent yet but they want to) the ones that want to go (and are old enough, they have to be 8) have to earn the $$ to pay themselves ($15 each person). dh takes them (i dont do horseback riding) and i watch the ones that are too young to ride (the 5,3,2 and 2 mo old). yes if you lost count thats 6 kids. you have to get creative with a big family, especially since we are on 15 yrs of only 1 income.

NO way...way too expensive and even though I am sure that it is worth it, we can't afford it no way no how, not in a million years. We have 5 kids, and we can't take one without taking them all so unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do. :( I heard that it is great for the kids too, and I was DYING to take the kids on a ride (the boys would LOVE it) but then I gave birth to our youngest (who even in the Spring will be too young to ride) and we can't do it because they aren't set up to accomodate large families. Our 3 year old wouldn't be able to ride either and we have noone to watch the younger 2. Sigh. What a wonderful idea though! I hope that some of the other moms and dads (we do have a dad or two here?) can take advantage of this and I hope the kids have a blast with it. :)

Guest guest

Yeah. I understand your pain. :) We just about fit all the kids and us in our 7-passenger mini-van that we have now. :) Good Lord...if we have any more kids we would have to get a larger vehicle and that means starting all over with the payments. We still owe $7000 on this one now. Blah. We have a YMCA, but we really don't have the resources (read: gas money) to be driving more than we have to like to the grocery store or to local appointments. I noticed gas went up again. Geez will it never end?

In a message dated 10/29/2010 1:45:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, funwith4@... writes:

i would just use it if it werent for the fact we dont all fit so as soon as i find a used van (12 or 15 pass) we will have a payment again :-(