RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New to the Group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Unfortunately, I am new to this group. I haven't followed it for very long

but wanted to say hello and see if there is anyone out there like me.

I live in California and was diagnosed just last week with Stage 4 colon

cancer with metastasis to the liver. There appears to be one lesion on the

liver (via Pet Scan). I am visiting with oncologists and surgeons in the LA

area

and I am learning that some of the best in the country may be right here.

We are discussing whether to start with 8 weeks of agressive chemo:

oxaliplatin, 4FU and Avastin with a vitamin. Treatments would be 3 days every

weeks (ie chemo via vein for several hours and return home wearing a fanny pack

for 48 hours). After 8 weeks, do a CT scan to determine whether the tumors

are shrinking. If so, another 8 weeks of chemo; rest one week; then operate

on both the colon and liver at the same time.

Has anyone gone through liver surgery?

Has anyone used this chemo formula?

Thank you so much and I wish you all wellness.

Guest guest

Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to think about. I was hoping for better feedback. I will be in touch with the few resources mentioned in these replies. Thanks! From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of Sandy DSent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:28 AMTo: sList Subject: Re: New to the Group Dear Tina: Hi and Welcome! We moved down here when our son with the same or similar diagnosis was 9. We came from East Brunswick, NJ which had a lot of services. I am also familiar with Boston as our other son has been at BU since 2001. Anyway, just a thought, call Nova Southeastern University they seem to have a lot of programs and information on how to proceed and develop a plan. I do believe that services are much better up north (being born and raised in NY/NJ) but you obviously have reasons to move down here. Hang in there, we are here for you! Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Sandy

Guest guest

Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to think about. I was hoping for better feedback. I will be in touch with the few resources mentioned in these replies. Thanks! From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of Sandy DSent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:28 AMTo: sList Subject: Re: New to the Group Dear Tina: Hi and Welcome! We moved down here when our son with the same or similar diagnosis was 9. We came from East Brunswick, NJ which had a lot of services. I am also familiar with Boston as our other son has been at BU since 2001. Anyway, just a thought, call Nova Southeastern University they seem to have a lot of programs and information on how to proceed and develop a plan. I do believe that services are much better up north (being born and raised in NY/NJ) but you obviously have reasons to move down here. Hang in there, we are here for you! Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Sandy

Guest guest

Guest guest

The Rugby School in Wall, NJ and The New Road School in Somerset, NJ. We selected The New Road School. There's also a phenomenal school in NYC called The Child School. It's on Roosevelt Island. I'm still suffering from guilt over taking him out and moving to FL. I would have put him back here if I was able to get a job in NYC. However, I think these schools are comparable.Sent from my iPad

HiCould you please let us know the names of the two schools?Thank youSent from my iPhoneNeisy Nieto SchoenPh. Fx.

I agree. I just moved to Princeton, NJ and went from my son not having a chance to receive a high school diploma to my choice of two schools that will help him earn a diploma and provide vocational training and support transitioning to work or college.

Hi Tina,I agree with Gabi and Debra. Come to South Florida for the weather, but be prepared to be disappointed with services for your ASD child. To: deniseslist Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:07 AM Subject: RE: New to the Group

Hi Tina: I am also from northeast- relocated from CT last summer, and am also a pediatric SLP who treated ASD in young children/toddlers for many years in both private practice and clinic up north. My advice is- think long and hard about a move down here if your son has special needs, especially spectrum. There is no comparison in overall quality and quantity of therapeutic and educational services provided- it is a different world. Sad but true. If you'd like more a more detailed opinion, please email me directly.DebraTo: sList From: tinamaturah@...Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:28:54 +0000Subject: New to the Group

Hi,

I am new to this group. Let me start by saying this email will be a bit winded but I need some help!

I have an almost 4yo with PDD-NOS. My husband and I are looking to move south, we are currently living in the suburbs of Boston. We have an excellent pre-school program that he is in and making great progress. Our plan is to move in the summer of 2013.

I was hoping I could hear from parents that have had an great pre-school kindergarten experience then into grammar school. A little about Shane:

His delays are strictly in communication. Receptively he has move mountains. Expressively is where he struggles. He uses pecs, is signing and can be prompted and will try to say the word. He has a handful of spontaneous words so the future is promising. Right now his school program consists of the following:

-10 hours of direct ABA

-1.5 hours of speech

-1.5 hours of OT

-1 hour of PT

-2.5 hours of Floortime

-1 hour of social skills

-Visit to the integrated pre-school occassionaly

In addition to the school program he has 13 hours of private ABA at home. We really need to find a district that we can keep the same type of schedule he is responding very well to this. I would also like to hear about private ABA providers that are recommended.

We also have a 2yo neurotypical son, so we need a good district for him as well. I have no idea how the FL system works. We are looking in the West Palm area and south.

I know this is a very long email, I hope that you guys can help point me in the right direction. I appreciate any help you can give me. We need a place to start!

Thanks in advance. Tina

=

=

Guest guest

The Rugby School in Wall, NJ and The New Road School in Somerset, NJ. We selected The New Road School. There's also a phenomenal school in NYC called The Child School. It's on Roosevelt Island. I'm still suffering from guilt over taking him out and moving to FL. I would have put him back here if I was able to get a job in NYC. However, I think these schools are comparable.Sent from my iPad

HiCould you please let us know the names of the two schools?Thank youSent from my iPhoneNeisy Nieto SchoenPh. Fx.

I agree. I just moved to Princeton, NJ and went from my son not having a chance to receive a high school diploma to my choice of two schools that will help him earn a diploma and provide vocational training and support transitioning to work or college.

Hi Tina,I agree with Gabi and Debra. Come to South Florida for the weather, but be prepared to be disappointed with services for your ASD child. To: deniseslist Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:07 AM Subject: RE: New to the Group

Hi Tina: I am also from northeast- relocated from CT last summer, and am also a pediatric SLP who treated ASD in young children/toddlers for many years in both private practice and clinic up north. My advice is- think long and hard about a move down here if your son has special needs, especially spectrum. There is no comparison in overall quality and quantity of therapeutic and educational services provided- it is a different world. Sad but true. If you'd like more a more detailed opinion, please email me directly.DebraTo: sList From: tinamaturah@...Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:28:54 +0000Subject: New to the Group

Hi,

I am new to this group. Let me start by saying this email will be a bit winded but I need some help!

I have an almost 4yo with PDD-NOS. My husband and I are looking to move south, we are currently living in the suburbs of Boston. We have an excellent pre-school program that he is in and making great progress. Our plan is to move in the summer of 2013.

I was hoping I could hear from parents that have had an great pre-school kindergarten experience then into grammar school. A little about Shane:

His delays are strictly in communication. Receptively he has move mountains. Expressively is where he struggles. He uses pecs, is signing and can be prompted and will try to say the word. He has a handful of spontaneous words so the future is promising. Right now his school program consists of the following:

-10 hours of direct ABA

-1.5 hours of speech

-1.5 hours of OT

-1 hour of PT

-2.5 hours of Floortime

-1 hour of social skills

In addition to the school program he has 13 hours of private ABA at home. We really need to find a district that we can keep the same type of schedule he is responding very well to this. I would also like to hear about private ABA providers that are recommended.

We also have a 2yo neurotypical son, so we need a good district for him as well. I have no idea how the FL system works. We are looking in the West Palm area and south.

I know this is a very long email, I hope that you guys can help point me in the right direction. I appreciate any help you can give me. We need a place to start!

Thanks in advance. Tina

=

=

Guest guest

Joan,I think te most important thing for our children is how we as parents handle the experience. How WE handle it will determine a lot of how they will handle it.Worry energy, guilt energy, fear energy, all of that hinder the children from being able to connect to u in first place and to the experience. And hinder then from having a better outcome from it. They are like sponges that absorve these frequencies.My suggestion is, be aware that when taken the decision u did and chose as it was the best option found for u. U don't know all the other doors that will open for ur life and ur family's like here down in FL in a holistic way. Not only for work or for ur child. So be open to the experience and feel that u did the best w this choice, focus on this feeling instead of focusing in the guilst feeling. You create ur experience in several ways.Have a beautiful Sunday!Fabiola Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS NetworkSender: sList Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:12:58 -0400To: sList <sList >ReplyTo: sList Subject: Re: New to the Group The Rugby School in Wall, NJ and The New Road School in Somerset, NJ. We selected The New Road School. There's also a phenomenal school in NYC called The Child School. It's on Roosevelt Island. I'm still suffering from guilt over taking him out and moving to FL. I would have put him back here if I was able to get a job in NYC. However, I think these schools are comparable.Sent from my iPad HiCould you please let us know the names of the two schools?Thank youSent from my iPhoneNeisy Nieto SchoenPh. Fx. I agree. I just moved to Princeton, NJ and went from my son not having a chance to receive a high school diploma to my choice of two schools that will help him earn a diploma and provide vocational training and support transitioning to work or college. Hi Tina,I agree with Gabi and Debra. Come to South Florida for the weather, but be prepared to be disappointed with services for your ASD child. To: deniseslist Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:07 AM Subject: RE: New to the Group Hi Tina: I am also from northeast- relocated from CT last summer, and am also a pediatric SLP who treated ASD in young children/toddlers for many years in both private practice and clinic up north. My advice is- think long and hard about a move down here if your son has special needs, especially spectrum. There is no comparison in overall quality and quantity of therapeutic and educational services provided- it is a different world. Sad but true. If you'd like more a more detailed opinion, please email me directly.DebraTo: sList From: tinamaturah@...Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:28:54 +0000Subject: New to the Group Hi, I am new to this group. Let me start by saying this email will be a bit winded but I need some help! I have an almost 4yo with PDD-NOS. My husband and I are looking to move south, we are currently living in the suburbs of Boston. We have an excellent pre-school program that he is in and making great progress. Our plan is to move in the summer of 2013. I was hoping I could hear from parents that have had an great pre-school kindergarten experience then into grammar school. A little about Shane:His delays are strictly in communication. Receptively he has move mountains. Expressively is where he struggles. He uses pecs, is signing and can be prompted and will try to say the word. He has a handful of spontaneous words so the future is promising. Right now his school program consists of the following:-10 hours of direct ABA-1.5 hours of speech-1.5 hours of OT-1 hour of PT-2.5 hours of Floortime-1 hour of social skills-Visit to the integrated pre-school occassionalyIn addition to the school program he has 13 hours of private ABA at home. We really need to find a district that we can keep the same type of schedule he is responding very well to this. I would also like to hear about private ABA providers that are recommended.We also have a 2yo neurotypical son, so we need a good district for him as well. I have no idea how the FL system works. We are looking in the West Palm area and south.I know this is a very long email, I hope that you guys can help point me in the right direction. I appreciate any help you can give me. We need a place to start!Thanks in advance. Tina ==

Guest guest

Joan,I think te most important thing for our children is how we as parents handle the experience. How WE handle it will determine a lot of how they will handle it.Worry energy, guilt energy, fear energy, all of that hinder the children from being able to connect to u in first place and to the experience. And hinder then from having a better outcome from it. They are like sponges that absorve these frequencies.My suggestion is, be aware that when taken the decision u did and chose as it was the best option found for u. U don't know all the other doors that will open for ur life and ur family's like here down in FL in a holistic way. Not only for work or for ur child. So be open to the experience and feel that u did the best w this choice, focus on this feeling instead of focusing in the guilst feeling. You create ur experience in several ways.Have a beautiful Sunday!Fabiola Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS NetworkSender: sList Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:12:58 -0400To: sList <sList >ReplyTo: sList Subject: Re: New to the Group The Rugby School in Wall, NJ and The New Road School in Somerset, NJ. We selected The New Road School. There's also a phenomenal school in NYC called The Child School. It's on Roosevelt Island. I'm still suffering from guilt over taking him out and moving to FL. I would have put him back here if I was able to get a job in NYC. However, I think these schools are comparable.Sent from my iPad HiCould you please let us know the names of the two schools?Thank youSent from my iPhoneNeisy Nieto SchoenPh. Fx. I agree. I just moved to Princeton, NJ and went from my son not having a chance to receive a high school diploma to my choice of two schools that will help him earn a diploma and provide vocational training and support transitioning to work or college. Hi Tina,I agree with Gabi and Debra. Come to South Florida for the weather, but be prepared to be disappointed with services for your ASD child. To: deniseslist Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:07 AM Subject: RE: New to the Group Hi Tina: I am also from northeast- relocated from CT last summer, and am also a pediatric SLP who treated ASD in young children/toddlers for many years in both private practice and clinic up north. My advice is- think long and hard about a move down here if your son has special needs, especially spectrum. There is no comparison in overall quality and quantity of therapeutic and educational services provided- it is a different world. Sad but true. If you'd like more a more detailed opinion, please email me directly.DebraTo: sList From: tinamaturah@...Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:28:54 +0000Subject: New to the Group Hi, I am new to this group. Let me start by saying this email will be a bit winded but I need some help! I have an almost 4yo with PDD-NOS. My husband and I are looking to move south, we are currently living in the suburbs of Boston. We have an excellent pre-school program that he is in and making great progress. Our plan is to move in the summer of 2013. I was hoping I could hear from parents that have had an great pre-school kindergarten experience then into grammar school. A little about Shane:His delays are strictly in communication. Receptively he has move mountains. Expressively is where he struggles. He uses pecs, is signing and can be prompted and will try to say the word. He has a handful of spontaneous words so the future is promising. Right now his school program consists of the following:-10 hours of direct ABA-1.5 hours of speech-1.5 hours of OT-1 hour of PT-2.5 hours of Floortime-1 hour of social skills-Visit to the integrated pre-school occassionalyIn addition to the school program he has 13 hours of private ABA at home. We really need to find a district that we can keep the same type of schedule he is responding very well to this. I would also like to hear about private ABA providers that are recommended.We also have a 2yo neurotypical son, so we need a good district for him as well. I have no idea how the FL system works. We are looking in the West Palm area and south.I know this is a very long email, I hope that you guys can help point me in the right direction. I appreciate any help you can give me. We need a place to start!Thanks in advance. Tina ==

Guest guest

Thank you for the info Are these private? Sent from my iPhoneNeisy Nieto SchoenPh. Fx.

Hi,

-10 hours of direct ABA

-1.5 hours of speech

-1.5 hours of OT

-1 hour of PT

-2.5 hours of Floortime

-1 hour of social skills

Thanks in advance. Tina

=

=

Guest guest

Thank you for the info Are these private? Sent from my iPhoneNeisy Nieto SchoenPh. Fx.

Hi,

-10 hours of direct ABA

-1.5 hours of speech

-1.5 hours of OT

-1 hour of PT

-2.5 hours of Floortime

-1 hour of social skills

Thanks in advance. Tina

=

=

Guest guest

Hi,

-10 hours of direct ABA

-1.5 hours of speech

-1.5 hours of OT

-1 hour of PT

-2.5 hours of Floortime

-1 hour of social skills

Thanks in advance. Tina

=

=

Guest guest

Yes but paid by the local school district. I don't have to pay anything.

Hi,

-10 hours of direct ABA

-1.5 hours of speech

-1.5 hours of OT

-1 hour of PT

-2.5 hours of Floortime

-1 hour of social skills

Thanks in advance. Tina

=

=

=