RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Legislation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

There's also a bill that my congressman ( Wexler of Florida) told me about that he is sponsoring:

Treatment of Children's Deformities Act of 2005 (H.R. 1000). This legislation requires that insurers provide coverage for treatment of a minor child's congenital or developmental deformity or disorder due to trauma, infection, tumor, or disease. The legislation is currently pending in the Energy and Commerce, Ways and Means and the Education and the Workforce Committees. I would encourage everyone to write to their representative about this legislation-- especially if your congressman is on one of those committees.

Here in FL there was legislation introduced at the state level but it didn't make it anywhere during this past session (see "'s Law" http://www.plagiocephaly.org/alerts/FLSB0482.htm). Alisonmom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach, FL

Plagiocephaly From: lotsateapots@...Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 13:59:18 +0000Subject: Re: Letter to United Healthcare

Hey & ,I'm in Houston, and we were denied coverage by United HealthCare too. I have written my first appeal letter but have been waiting to send it in because I called them and asked for them to send me the information they used to determine the denial (3 weeks ago) and haven't received it, of course. I thought we had a good chance of getting approved because I have a good UHC policy that covers orthotic devices. But they say it's cosmetic, and since my daughter's case measures mild/moderate (with forehead/ear involvement though) I don't know if they're going to take my appeal. But I'm prepared to fight all the way to the State insurance appeal if I have to. I did hear from ONE person on the boards who received coverage from UHC but their child had a cephalohematoma in addition to tort and plagio. You know , a couple of weeks after we got the helmet I had a DREAM that I was at the Oprah show and the entire audience was parents with babies in plagio helmets. I didn't actually write her though. I did send in a story submission to National Public Radio though, of course never heard back. Maybe you should try too - NPR.org - they have an online submission form for story ideas. It's the kind of complex story they usually like (SIDS leads to "Back to sleep" which leads to plagio which leads to insurance denial...etc). I'm just wondering if there isn't SOME lawyer who wants to make a name for themselves and take this case - there are so many of us fighting UHC it would be a pretty big class action deal. I just can't afford to pay an attorney - it was expensive enough ($3750) to pay for the helmet out of pocket. Or we could try to write our congressmen - isn't someone in Florida trying to introduce a bill requiring coverage there?Cris in Houston Mom to - 8 monthsDOC Band 5/26/06>> I would love to sign it. I have fought UHC tooth and nail for almost a year. They have > been hideously unethical and have pulled out every excuse in the book. They paid for our > first band (I'm grateful for that) then denied a much-needed second band due to "orthotics > exclusion". They changed denial reasons and didn't follow their own policies. They also > changed our policy wording, mid-year, and added the word "bands" to the exclusion > section. I certainly have witnessed UHC being discriminatory. > > Even my lawyer gave up.> > I honestly think UHC will continue to deny as many bands as possible until there is a > class-action lawsuit. > > -Sorry to be long-winded. Thank you for trying to fight this Goliath!> > > Express yourself instantly with Windows Live Messenger