RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: - I started thinking about goitrogens.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>

> I had a thought sneak up on me....

>

> Are you aware of how some foods can either stimulate or suppress

thyroid

> hormones? Those of us that are hypo need to learn which foods

inhibit

> gland function and interfere with the replacement hormone that we

take...

> particularly things like cabbage, kohlrabi and broccoli... all

three are

> goitrogens...

>

> So.. my thoughts.... what types of foods are you eating? Is there a

> chance that you can increase the proportion of goitrogens that you

eat?

>

> Since Hashi's antibodies are stimulated by the activity of the

thyroid

> gland... anything that you can do in addition to the meds you are

already

> getting would be of help....

>

> Right now they have you on a blocker and are replacing with

synthetic

> hormone... all in an attempt to reduce your gland's activity which

will

> then drop the level of the antibodies.... lowering the antibody

count,

> and their activity will help to even out your swings.... in

theory... so

> that you won't go soooo hypo or soooooo hyper at each end of the

> cycle....

>

> Anyway.. that just popped to the front of my brain and I thought

I'd

> bring it up in case it was something that you might be able to

> explore....

>

> Topper ()

> *who knows that as bad as hypo is, and it can be REALLY bad....

extreme

> hyper is worse and thyroid storm truly SUCKS!*

>

Topper, I edited your message in the interest of brevity. I hope you

don't mind.

My diet is fairly average, other that I do not eat beaf and I have

just stopped drinking coffee. I don't drink pop or anything other

than water and some wine, but the wine is pretty much off the list

now also.

I eat pork, turkey, chicken, fish, love seafood, eat a wide variety

of vegetables although not a lot of potatoes. I eat some cheese,

drink no milk, and dairy products are not encouraged after lunch, as

they stop up my nose and encourage snoring. I love ice cream, but

avoid it as it messes up my digestion.

My eating habits have been very eratic over the last six months. I

am used to burning a lot of calories as I have always had a high

metabolism and I worked hard for a living.

I know when I was EXTREMELY hyperthyroid I was sleeping constantly

to rest my heart and eating four or five big meals a day. Then as I

went back tp hypo my eating slowed way down. Now that depression

rules the day, and I am sitting around most of the time or napping,

I have lost all interest in food and it is a chore to eat anything.

I will read about goitrogens, and thanks for the tip. I did not

really give much thought to my diet other than asking my Docs.

They both said seafood (shrimp) was fine and coffee (cafeine) was

not good.

Guest guest

Try Redmonds Sea Salt. That stuff works great! You'll find you use less of it than regular table salt too, so it lasts longer. Spifftopper2@... wrote: I'm gonna be contradictory..... seafood tends to contain higher amountsof iodine... iodine is used by the thyroid (which is basically an iodinefilter) to produce thyroid hormone... restricting iodine intake is goingto reduce one of the major components needed for the gland to producehormone....Roll back around to reducing the

activity of the gland resulting in areduction of stimulation to the antibodies... and we're back to anotherroute to help to lessen the severity of the swings...Now.. I'm not exactly up on which sea critter has more iodine thananother... I'd love for someone to jump in with more info on that...... thinking of iodine.... it might not be a bad idea to either reduceyour use of salt at the table, or go out and get a box of non-iodizedsalt for your self.. let your other family members keep using the iodizedsalt... you use the plan stuff..... Editing is good..... especially with me.... I can rarely do a shortpost... I'm just such a jabber box to begin with... and it's happenedtooo many times for me, and for others... that a good ramble tends tobring out some obscure over looked tidbit of info that is THE key tohelping them feel better.... it was a couple of rambles that got the'secret' info that got me

feeling better again....See.. now my brain is wandering the paths.... Selenium is used for theconversion of thyroid hormone... it might not be a bad idea to check yourvitamins and see how much Selenium they contain... under 50 (a lot haveonly 20 mcg) should bother much... but if you are taking one that is highin Selenium (say 100 mcg and up per dose) it might be a good idea toswitch brands... Us hypos need the extra selenium to help us get the bestconversion that we can... but if you're swinging now... so part of thefocus (I'm thinking) should be to reduce that stimulation to theantibodies.... (Hashi's antibodies are stimulated by the activity ofthe thyroid gland... )Topper () On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:43:55 -0000 "guns2sling"<ar15 (AT) goldfieldaccess (DOT) net> writes:> Topper, I edited your message in the interest of brevity. I hope you >

don't mind.> > My diet is fairly average, other that I do not eat beaf and I have > just stopped drinking coffee. I don't drink pop or anything other > than water and some wine, but the wine is pretty much off the list > now also.> > I eat pork, turkey, chicken, fish, love seafood, eat a wide variety > of vegetables although not a lot of potatoes. I eat some cheese, > drink no milk, and dairy products are not encouraged after lunch, as > they stop up my nose and encourage snoring. I love ice cream, but > avoid it as it messes up my digestion.> > My eating habits have been very eratic over the last six months. I > am used to burning a lot of calories as I have always had a high > metabolism and I worked hard for a living.> > I know when I was EXTREMELY hyperthyroid I was sleeping constantly > to rest my heart and eating four or five big meals a day.

Then as I > went back tp hypo my eating slowed way down. Now that depression > rules the day, and I am sitting around most of the time or napping, > > I have lost all interest in food and it is a chore to eat anything.> I will read about goitrogens, and thanks for the tip. I did not > really give much thought to my diet other than asking my Docs.> > They both said seafood (shrimp) was fine and coffee (cafeine) was > not good.

All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.