RemedySpot.com

Arsenic in rice - What do I feed my kid?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few

days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what

to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's

milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with

rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa

and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates

white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet

potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is

high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8

1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between

white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the

regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the

posts few days ago that it is safer to consume indian/indonesian rice and the

one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten

free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I

see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet

but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of

grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have

recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has

trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and

restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even

dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with

us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several

times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case

when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this

issue with rice and that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my

kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free

rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my

frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I

have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much

phenol without realizing what was going on.

is

I think Udi's bread is made with tapioca and or potato starch/flour; two slices about 14 mg oxalate.I think there is a corn pasta, maybe organic. Can he do corn?Have you tried spaghetti squash? My ASD kid used to eat it. She will still eat it but now she doesn't want

it as much as she used to. She may find herself without noodles again here!

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol without realizing what was going on.

is

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565

------Toni------Mind like a steel trap...Rusty and illegal in 37 states.

You are not a bad mom. The fact you're asking for help shows u care! Hang in there!CassieSent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®Sender: mb12valtrex Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:27:18 -0500To: <mb12valtrex >ReplyTo: mb12valtrex Subject: Re: Arsenic in rice - What do I feed my kid? I think Udi's bread is made with tapioca and or potato starch/flour; two slices about 14 mg oxalate.I think there is a corn pasta, maybe organic. Can he do corn?Have you tried spaghetti squash? My ASD kid used to eat it. She will still eat it but now she doesn't wantit as much as she used to. She may find herself without noodles again here! Hi everyone,I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol without realizing what was going on. is-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565------Toni------Mind like a steel trap...Rusty and illegal in 37 states.

Hi alexis,I don't know who said indonesian rice is safe but I lived in indonesia and the pesticides they use are very toxic and they use alot of it! I don't know about india. For the tinkyada, I feel more comfortable since it supposedly comes from canada and I think their controls on this are better then the us...maybe our canadian counterparts can chime in....but yes I feel your frustration too...it is so infuriating..i honestly think american oversight on public health,food is terrible so hopefully this will change after this but doubt it....i also feel, maybe wrong, but if the rice comes from the west coast of us (and not places like mississippi like in that first article), it may be safer...3rd party tested is also better since we're not just relying on the stupid usda...i have been planning to call udis to grill them a little on their food as I have always hated using it since it is not organic...but like it sounds organic rice can be dangerous if used in fields that were previously sprayed...anyway, all very frustrating! Feel your pain! Wish I had more ideas!-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol without realizing what was going on.

is

I'm sure you've thought of this, but what about coconut flour for cooking and baking?It is so frustrating when you are at a loss for what to feed your child multiple times a day! Hang in there... You are such a good mom!

Hi everyone,

is

Thanks Kim! I spent the year 2010 baking in my kitchen. My son followed a

rotation diet where he would get almond bread, coconut bread, lentil bread and

home made wheat pita. Rice came back as a problem on his testing along with

potatoes. I didn't see any results and my son hated the coconut bread. Somebody

said thst maybe I did'nt see results since he was not on gf and also had goat

milk. So I removed gluten also as well as goat milk. There was no difference. By

that time I was tired of torturing my kid w coconut bread and coconut was a

problem

on IGG also. At that time I decided that for now I will just stick w gfcf and

since this time on Igg, rice was not a problem, I reintroduced it. He gets most

of the food homemade. I give him organic french fries occasionally. But the main

carb is rice. I wonder if any kid who was previously on gfcf is tolerating the

white breac allowed in Dr Goldberg diet? How about using homemade white flour

pita and using extra trienza enzymes? I personally feel that rice promotes yeast

more than wheat. There was a time when my son ate more bread than rice and I

remember that he was less yeasty. But who knows if gluten was causing other

problems related to opioid like action. I wonder if there are parents on this

forum whose kids are on low oxalate or feingold diet but not on gfcf and they

still see results?

is

>

> > Hi everyone,

> > I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue

few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know

what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both

cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left

with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate

quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He

tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have

sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as

almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My

son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating

between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and

the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of

the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume indian/indonesian rice and

the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being

gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten.

Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS

diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the

quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I

have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as

he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet

and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even

dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with

rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my

frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I

> > is

> >

> >

>

I am not sure if Alberta is doing feingold principles, but she is lod and her kids still get a bit of gluten and casein now. Um, one of them I think can't have casein, I think Maia.

Thanks Kim! I spent the year 2010 baking in my kitchen. My son followed a rotation diet where he would get almond bread, coconut bread, lentil bread and home made wheat pita. Rice came back as a problem on his testing along with potatoes. I didn't see any results and my son hated the coconut bread. Somebody said thst maybe I did'nt see results since he was not on gf and also had goat milk. So I removed gluten also as well as goat milk. There was no difference. By that time I was tired of torturing my kid w coconut bread and coconut was a problem

on IGG also. At that time I decided that for now I will just stick w gfcf and since this time on Igg, rice was not a problem, I reintroduced it. He gets most of the food homemade. I give him organic french fries occasionally. But the main carb is rice. I wonder if any kid who was previously on gfcf is tolerating the white breac allowed in Dr Goldberg diet? How about using homemade white flour pita and using extra trienza enzymes? I personally feel that rice promotes yeast more than wheat. There was a time when my son ate more bread than rice and I remember that he was less yeasty. But who knows if gluten was causing other problems related to opioid like action. I wonder if there are parents on this forum whose kids are on low oxalate or feingold diet but not on gfcf and they still see results?

isClick to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565

is, don't ever apologize. That's what we're here for. I think it might be appropriate for you to back up and return to the foods that your son was responding well to. You've done more than enough observation to know when he has trouble with a food and when he doesn't. If you feel he did well with white bread, allow it. I wouldn't make it a main staple but I would incorporate it back into his diet. Slowly. With enzymes. Then watch. You've been ag this long enough to recognize an kntolerancenif it should occur.

Because so many ASD kids are gluten and casein intolerant, giving the diet a fair chance certainly makes sense. At the very least, its a great jump-off for parents to try to get a handle on possible food sensitivities. But I don't think its the end all - be all, especially for non-gut kids. You've gotta bigger fish to fry and really there's no point in making a problem with food when it wasn't there in the first place. Kwim?There's always going to be a trade-off. In your case, getting rid of the bleached white bread for the arsenic in rice....so...we pick the lesser of two evils...and we do what is sensible to nourish our children the best we can. These diets are extremely difficult, but if you were seeing good results, it would give you all the energy you needed to continue. You need to approach it with the same sense you would with a supplement,.medicine or.therapy: if it isn't working, move on.

I'd say you gave it more than enough time and really put your heart and soul into making it work. You didn't half-ass it. It's just not the answer you're looking for. So feed your kid foods that he doesn't react to that will provide him with the nutrients a growing boy needs and don't worry about it being a mo-no on list a,b, or c

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Sent: Thu Feb 16 19:20:09 EST 2012

To: " mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex >

Subject: Re: Arsenic in rice - What do I feed my kid?

I'm sure you've thought of this, but what about coconut flour for cooking and baking?It is so frustrating when you are at a loss for what to feed your child multiple times a day! Hang in there... You are such a good mom!

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume

indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and

that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol without realizing what was going on.

is

Thank you so much Tammy for responding. You are such a big support for me. My

concern with the gluten free diet is the alternatives we try like potato starch,

corn starch, sorghum flour(causes tummy ache even for me), rice, sweet potato,

tapioca, millet and quinoa. Out of all these choices, my son only tolerates rice

in terms of physical symptoms but of course gets very hyper and stimmy after

rice probably as the yeast are having a feast in his tummy. I used to make

almond bread which didn't taste bad but he stopped liking it and it had too much

oxalate in it also. Coconut bread was just not enough for my son even though I

had a good recipe and all but he would actually cry if he even saw it in his

plate. Now I feel like that my son is always getting some form of rice and it

feeds yeast. I know that for some people, wheat does the same. Its not like that

I don't want to continue GF but the problem is the lack of options to rotate and

the alternative options causing other problems. And then I also hear that many

recovered kids are not even on GF diet(the ones using Dr G's protocols).

Remember the rice cooked in broth recipe that I told you about, my son does fine

on that as I use the indian basmati rice for that. He started getting more

yeasty after I introduced the brown rice pasta which was suggested by his doc at

the time as a rotating alternative to white rice. Now I am thinking that maybe

the brown rice caused more issues because it contains arsenic. I just want to

able to rotate his diet a bit so he doesn't get excess of one thing. What kind

of diet do you follow Tammy? Is it possible for you to share what your son's

typical breakfast, lunch and dinner looks like?

Thanks for your help.

is

>

>

>

> Hi everyone,

> I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue

tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have

almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My

son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating

the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume

> indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati

rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems

when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread.

Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with

that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to

remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be

very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really

want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating

that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and

Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as

I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house

and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to

focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and

> that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic.

This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please

let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations -

seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been

doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol

without realizing what was going on.

> is

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!

>

> Angelina Jolie's exquisite red carpet look

> The actress is the epitome of elegance in a custom-made Ralph & Russo frock.

>

> Privacy Policy

>

You can always have the rice products you are using tested for arsenic (or other

metals for that matter). Both of my kids (ASD and NT) are above the 95% line

for arsenic in their hair tests. My and son is on SCD and doesn't eat rice.

I am having his pear juice tested as well as the soil in our yard to try and

determine the source. I've dropped off the samples but don't have the results

yet. It's $15/test/metal so i figure the $45 is worth knowing. i live in

seattle and testing through http://amtestlab.com/default.asp

Cheers, mardi

That is a great info Mardi! I am definitely getting the rice tested. I don't

give him any store bought juice and either he eats fresh pear or I juice it at

home. I am not sure what other foods could be high in arsenic. At least by

getting the rice tested, I will know about the most commonly consumed grain by

him.

thanks

is

>

>

> You can always have the rice products you are using tested for arsenic (or

other metals for that matter). Both of my kids (ASD and NT) are above the 95%

line for arsenic in their hair tests. My and son is on SCD and doesn't eat

rice. I am having his pear juice tested as well as the soil in our yard to

try and determine the source. I've dropped off the samples but don't have the

results yet. It's $15/test/metal so i figure the $45 is worth knowing. i live

in seattle and testing through http://amtestlab.com/default.asp

>

>

> Cheers, mardi

>

The one thing I've learned now is that if something doesn't look right to you, then it's time to try something else.  If you see that he has more gut issues now than he did before GFCF, don't feel bad at all about adding gluten and casein back in.  My kids had the same thing happen to them and I learned that my biggest mistake was that I kept at it because of the feelings of guilt about not doing so.  Maia couldn't do milk for a while because of problems with leucine metabolism but since we upped the R5P, she's able to fully have dairy now (although I do moderate it because I don't want her to have leucine overload, I'm not entirely sure that pathway's fully fixed yet).  Again, the problem's metabolic with my kids and not exactly because of " allergies " .  The GFCF diet pivots a lot on " allergies " and about not getting traces of gluten onto your spoon and cookware and toaster.  But if it's metabolic, then you're looking at something else altogether. 

I did speak to the kids' GI specialist about it at our final meeting a few weeks ago.  She wanted to know what we did to resolve our GI issues and I said that we added in mito support.  She admitted that she does see a lot of ASD kids with GI issues who experienced the same thing with the mito support.

Not all kids get better on GFCF.  It made my son a lot worse and the gut issues were the first thing to get worse and then his autism symptoms got worse until I put him back on dairy and then gluten.  He has no allergies -- I think all his food issues are metabolic-based.  I sometimes wonder if I could have made it better again if I abandoned GFCF sooner for him.  Go with his gut, not what a diet says.  I'm finding that we're getting a lot more gains when I listen to the kids' bodies. My son needed cysteine after being CF for a long time.  His stools didn't improve again until I added dairy back in and he got a lot better when I supplemented NAC for a while. 

What happens is that as B1 and B2 are depleted, more and more metabolic functions start shutting down and that's why some people start seeing increasing food intolerances.  It isn't because they're allergic.  It's because more and more metabolic pathways necessary to process different foods stop working.  If I could define what GI issues involving mito dysfunction look like, I'd say it looks like increasing food issues and GI symptoms as you try to navigate the foods to avoid. 

If I could go back in time, this is how I would've tackled it with my kids from the get-go when I saw that they had problems with the GFCF diet:1. I'd remove the problematic foods temporarily. Casein and soy for my daughter. Gluten and rice for my son.

2. I'd add in good mito support (first start with a good b-complex, then carnitine, coq10, then adjust B1, B2, and B6 to balance things out -- not only will these help the gut, but they happened to help a lot of my kids' ASD issues, too).

3. Add foods back slowly.  Some foods might take longer than others, and there may be instances where some foods are never to be added back again (but you want this to be a minimal list).  I gotta say, my life's not a living hell anymore after I was able to add foods back in.

4. Add in lots of antioxidants to mop up the mess.5. Then, when metabolic functions are a bit more stable (not necessarily fully stable but just to the point where they can start processing fats, carbs, proteins, and aminos better), then hit the other supps like EFA's, your bacteria/yeast/viral/parasite/chelation protocols.  Chances are, when you fix the mito functions, the body is stronger and better equipped to suppress bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeast and detox on its own and it's not an uphill battle with the different protocols.  They'll still need the protocols to give them a boost.  When mito functions aren't working properly, it means that gateways to certain nutrients are closed and that means that entire components of the body's natural defense systems cannot be absorbed, which will result in a broken natural defense system.  Not saying the protocols aren't necessary, but you don't want to be fighting bacteria, viruses, yeast, parasites, metals, toxins forever. 

Again, this is for what I saw in my kids.  This exact process would've helped both of them much sooner.  Some people may not need to do this because they don't have the underlying mito issue.  Not all kids are the same but I wish I would've realized this sooner for my kids.

Where Does The Arsenic Come From?

Arsenic occurs naturally in all plants, animals, the sea, soil and fresh water;

we can't avoid it. There are two chemically-different forms of arsenic: organic

and inorganic. Both are easily absorbed, but the inorganic form is thought to be

far more harmful. It is believed to accumulate in body organs, is classified as

a carcinogen and may affect different chemical and metabolic processes in the

body.

But it isn't just about what occurs naturally. Our industrial revolution also

has a lot to answer for. Since we got all techy, our environmental load of heavy

metal toxins has increased substantially. We mine, refine, smelt, galvanise,

manufacture and burn heavy metals all the time and consequently we find ever

more of them in our drinking water, soil and air. Arsenic has been used as a

component of pesticides, fungicides  animal growth-promoters, preservatives in

wooden timbers, wallpaper paste and carpets, and much is said to leach into

ground water from waste sites and power plants. Luckily, our bodies are equipped

to cope with normal levels, but I do wonder if the load is becoming too much as

time goes on.

Fish and shellfish are said to be a significant source because of what's leached

into the water table from industrial and agricultural use, although the Health

Protection Agency (HPA), advises that most of what occurs in fish is organic and

therefore " There is no evidence that eating fish poses a health risk from

arsenic. " Cigarette smoking is a notable source too, and the metal is also used

in the manufacture of glass, ceramics, electronic components and alloys.

Two of the most significant sources for the world's population are drinking

water and rice contaminated with the heavy metal. For us lucky ones in Western

countries like the UK, our water is treated and we eat a comparatively small

amount of rice.

Which Rice is Best?

Professor Meharg from Aberdeen University has worked with the FSA on this

issue. He is quoted as saying: " Between different growing regions/countries,

total As [Arsenic] content can vary by fivefold, with Himalayan (N. India, N.

Pakistan, and Nepal) rice being the lowest and US, EU and As-groundwater

impacted Bangladesh rice being the highest. "

Despite such a high-rice diet in China, the Chinese population has a

surprisingly low intake of arsenic because they have the best arsenic controls

for rice of any country. This rather suggests rice from China would be a safer

bet for us too.

Another Professor Meharg study suggests that rice from the US, France, Italy and

Bangladesh had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic tested, with about 30 per

cent of American long grain rice samples found to contain levels above the

Chinese strict standards. He suggested that rice from India and Egypt had the

lowest levels, with basmati rice the best type.

Safer                                                            Avoid

Indian                                                            American

Pakistani                                                      European (esp.

Italian & French)

Nepalese                                                     Bangladeshi

Chinese

Egyptian

Thai

It seems, then, that the whole issue has come about because rice is itself

highly adept at absorbing natural arsenic and that this has been greatly

exacerbated by contamination mainly from arsenic-laden ground water, mining,

processing and pesticide use. Hence any rice products made from contaminated

rice would be higher than they should be in arsenic.

>

> > Hi everyone,

> > I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue

gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten.

Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS

he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet

and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even

> > is

> >

> >

>

Thank you so much for this information! I am going to follow it for me and my

kids. Once I get their metals out of their mouths that is. One has braces and

the other has metal crowns until her real teeth come in (her dentist promised me

repeatedly they were mercury free). In the mean time, I can keep them balanced

with the support you outlined. You folks are so brilliant and I am so happy to

benefit from the info you so willingly share to help all our kids.

What a God send you all are!!!!!!

Highest regards,

Patty

>

> The one thing I've learned now is that if something doesn't look right to

> you, then it's time to try something else. If you see that he has more gut

> issues now than he did before GFCF, don't feel bad at all about adding

> gluten and casein back in. My kids had the same thing happen to them and I

> learned that my biggest mistake was that I kept at it because of the

> feelings of guilt about not doing so. Maia couldn't do milk for a while

> because of problems with leucine metabolism but since we upped the R5P,

> she's able to fully have dairy now (although I do moderate it because I

> don't want her to have leucine overload, I'm not entirely sure that

> pathway's fully fixed yet). Again, the problem's metabolic with my kids

> and not exactly because of " allergies " . The GFCF diet pivots a lot on

> " allergies " and about not getting traces of gluten onto your spoon and

> cookware and toaster. But if it's metabolic, then you're looking at

> something else altogether.

>

> I did speak to the kids' GI specialist about it at our final meeting a few

> weeks ago. She wanted to know what we did to resolve our GI issues and I

> said that we added in mito support. She admitted that she does see a lot

> of ASD kids with GI issues who experienced the same thing with the mito

> support.

Hi is,

You are good mom and we all go through that process of knowing what is right for

our kids. I can understand how you feel; I spent every weekend of the first

three years of my daughter biomedical treatment cooking and baking GFCF foods

and even though, I was always worried if I was doing it correctly because any

option was bad for something and the bloating persisted. It was a nightmare. I

used to cook during the weekends and freeze the foods for a couple of weeks.

Everybody at home hated that because our weekends were spent baking, cooking,

packing foods and cleaning the mess (we both have a full time job so I could not

do it during the week) and on Mondays everyone was more tired and irritable than

previous Friday.

It changed when we started working with Dr. G (we're not working with him

anymore and it is not because NIDS protocol does not work, it is because it was

really difficult for us to work with him specifically). The first thing we did

in the NIDS protocol was stopping all supplements and changing her diet

drastically. At the beginning I thought we would not be able to do it because my

daughter was always obsessed with carbs and she really had to get cake or bread

or pasta or anything similar with her meals. We stopped all that and started

feeding her with meats (organic grass feed beef, organic turkey, chicken and

bacon), vegetables and some fruits. We survived her tantrums for 2 weeks but by

then we were free of that intensive cooking and her tummy was the best ever

(better than when we worked with Dr. Krigsman and steroids, IVIG, no sugar SCD,

low oxalate, etc.).

Slowly we restarted trying very small amounts of carbs (potatoes, plantain and

white rice; per Dr G, whole grains are too hard to digest and can cause more

inflammation) and she tolerates them well in limited amounts. However, if we

give her more than 2 small portions of carbs during a couple of days she gets

hyper and with low attention (yeast flare) so definitely we control it. She is

doing chelation and antivirals and yeast control is much easier than when she

was just doing diet and supplements and I think it is because the low carb no

sugar diet.

The foods that really have helped us are goat's milk yogurt, spaghetti squash

(we put olive oil with species on it and she loves it with bacon or ground

meat), Applegate lunch meats, Chicken organic sausages we found in Costco,

salads (lettuce, spinach, other green leaves with carrots, tomatoes and some

nuts (at the beginning we stopped all nuts and now she is having just small

amounts over the salads)), avocados and snap peas. Just recently we tried warm

organic soy milk (I know soy is a no-no for some kids but I tried it mainly

because I wanted being able to give her a warm drink in this PA winter) and she

did well. We were also giving her too many foods high in phenols and it was

causing undigested foods and silliness. We started giving her the no-phenol

enzyme and daily Epsom salt baths and it improved. I also avoid overloading her

with high-phenol foods.

In summary I feel that in our case the GFCF diet was not as effective as a low

carb low sugar diet. I was spending my time and money baking foods with

non-gluten flours but at the end I was given her too many carbs that were

feeding yeast and bacteria. Now life is easier, she eats same meats and salads

we eat with a bit of carbs and I stopped cooking her a special diet and being

worried all time about what she is going to eat.

We also realize she was getting bloated with some supplements, for example, too

much vitamin D causes her constipation and hence bloating. We reduce her intake

of vitamin D and instead, we are giving her sun baths with a sun lamp for about

10m daily and using GcMAF so her body can really use the vitamin D. We are doing

IV chelation with IV magnesium, vitamin C, zinc and NAC and she is usually a bit

yeasty the day after the IV round but it goes away quickly with fluconazole and

2-3 days of GSE (+ no-phenol). We want to try liposomal vitamin C to avoid

oxalates in vitamin C since it seems anything that bypass her gut avoiding

irritation works well with her.

I hope you find what works well for your kid and it gives you peace. Don't worry

about specific protocols and strict diets, just follow what you see working on

him and it will be ok.

Regards

-Mariluz

>

> Hi everyone,

> I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue

> is

>

Hi Mariluz,

You described what I went through from 2010 to 2011 in a much better way. I was

also working full time then and all my days off were spent in baking, cooking

and cleaning. What annoys me is the fact that my son actually got worse. From

what I understood from your post is that initially, you had to take your child

off carbs for at least 2 weeks and then reintroduced gradually and she is still

on relatively low carb diet, right? Channa recommended the same but I don't know

how I am going to manage this. I am thinking that spring break in april would be

the best time to do that as I can take care of the tantrums at home. Toni also

recommended spaghetti squash and I didn't even know what it was so I looked it

up and it seems like a great idea for my spaghetti crazy boy.

You also mentioned vitamin D causing constipation and I suspected the same. My

son is also on gcmaf and we started in october and at the same time we went up

on the vitamin D dose and he is currently on 4000 IU daily. His blood levels are

good. But now I have to use at least 300 to 400 mg of magnesium glycinate to

make him have a BM every day. Are you using gcmaf as part of the NIDS protocol

or you are working with a dan?

Were you making your own goat yogurt? If so, what yogurt starter were you using?

My son has folate receptor antibodies and our dan told us to stay away from

milk. He didn't specify cow's or goat's but when I had asked him about goat

yogurt, he said that a lot of parents that he was working with didn't see good

results. My son wants to drink a cup of some type of milk in morning or

afternoon. He loves yogurt and if I could start using goat yogurt, I could

rotate with the coconut yogurt or milk and stop using almond milk which is rich

in oxalates. Are you using any gluten containing products also? If so, do you

bake your own or use store bought?

Sorry I am asking so many questions but your post made me really hopeful and I

want to be back in action soon and get my son's gut better. Thank you for all

your ideas.

is

I have read that goat's milk is also a problem for folate antibodies people.

Hi Mariluz,

You described what I went through from 2010 to 2011 in a much better way. I was also working full time then and all my days off were spent in baking, cooking and cleaning. What annoys me is the fact that my son actually got worse. From what I understood from your post is that initially, you had to take your child off carbs for at least 2 weeks and then reintroduced gradually and she is still on relatively low carb diet, right? Channa recommended the same but I don't know how I am going to manage this. I am thinking that spring break in april would be the best time to do that as I can take care of the tantrums at home. Toni also recommended spaghetti squash and I didn't even know what it was so I looked it up and it seems like a great idea for my spaghetti crazy boy.

You also mentioned vitamin D causing constipation and I suspected the same. My son is also on gcmaf and we started in october and at the same time we went up on the vitamin D dose and he is currently on 4000 IU daily. His blood levels are good. But now I have to use at least 300 to 400 mg of magnesium glycinate to make him have a BM every day. Are you using gcmaf as part of the NIDS protocol or you are working with a dan?

Were you making your own goat yogurt? If so, what yogurt starter were you using? My son has folate receptor antibodies and our dan told us to stay away from milk. He didn't specify cow's or goat's but when I had asked him about goat yogurt, he said that a lot of parents that he was working with didn't see good results. My son wants to drink a cup of some type of milk in morning or afternoon. He loves yogurt and if I could start using goat yogurt, I could rotate with the coconut yogurt or milk and stop using almond milk which is rich in oxalates. Are you using any gluten containing products also? If so, do you bake your own or use store bought?

Sorry I am asking so many questions but your post made me really hopeful and I want to be back in action soon and get my son's gut better. Thank you for all your ideas.

is

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

Arsenic is in many apple juices . Google apple juice and arsenic .... Recently a

study was done n the arsenic content in apple juice.... So many brands came up

high.

Arsenic is also in chicken/ turkey and in the older timber- old fences and

playgrounds with that greenish tinge.

Xena

>

>

> You can always have the rice products you are using tested for arsenic (or

other metals for that matter). Both of my kids (ASD and NT) are above the 95%

line for arsenic in their hair tests. My and son is on SCD and doesn't eat

rice. I am having his pear juice tested as well as the soil in our yard to

try and determine the source. I've dropped off the samples but don't have the

results yet. It's $15/test/metal so i figure the $45 is worth knowing. i live

in seattle and testing through http://amtestlab.com/default.asp

>

>

> Cheers, mardi

>

I think the lowest in as and pb(lead) was Not from Concentrate Great Value (walmart) with fiber(says made in the usa on it, I believe)

Arsenic is in many apple juices . Google apple juice and arsenic .... Recently a study was done n the arsenic content in apple juice.... So many brands came up high.

Arsenic is also in chicken/ turkey and in the older timber- old fences and playgrounds with that greenish tinge.

Xena--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

Well, I m probably the last person to ask about diet because my kids have very few issues with food. But I'll give you the run down.

Bear in mind that these two are total carnivors in a big-time way. Their poops are good and regular, all their food is well digested. There are no phenol issues. As a side, I should note that I am cautious with and do keep track because I suspect he might have an issue with oxalates...

Breakfast: Eggs, breakfast potatoes, oj, banas and Pb, waffles and pancakes (made from various gf flours, depending what's on sale and what i happen to be experimenting with). I'm fairly successful with sneaking things here and there into the mixes. eats ZERO fruits and vegetables aside from mashed potatoes and corn (neither of which I would classify as a vegetable) so I rely heavily on his mutlti vites/mins for him and add macrogreens to anything and everything I can sneak them in. (Because there are soooooo many foods contained in this, its really not an option for everyone.)When they have toast, its usually WF brand gf, sometimes Udi's. With some Pb and jam. They enjoy coconut yogurt and almond yogurt. Once in a blue moon they will have cereal (like once every few months). Sometimes they will have bacon. I have also taken a liking to chia recently and find it relatively easy to add to foods.

Lunch and dinner: Chicken (grilled breasts or wings), Plain burgers no bread (super easy to sneak veggies into mix), potatoes presented in various fashion. Both hate rice. Tom will eat a small amount of beans and pasta. enjoys a gfcf version of Ramon noodles i make when his dad has boiled bones for his soup broths -those i make with rice noodles. They LOVE sheppards pie and would eat this 5 days out of 7 if I let them. I trick it out so I feel somewhat satisfied. American chop suey is super duper easy to sneak in all sorts of good stuff. We'll use corn pasta for that . Meatballs, too. They love steak and steak tips - me, too. But I prefer meals with ground meat simply for the sneakability factor. Tom will eat vegetables that are mixed in with his meat, (for instance, grilled chicken in sauteed veggies) but he still wont do a heaping pile on his plate. We have gotten to a point where he can atleast smell veggies cooking and sit next to someone

eating them -this is a pretty huge deal..be used to toss his cookies at the sight of them. Occasionally I will put them on his plate (partly out of high hopes but mostly because i feel they should be there!)

I was juicing alot for a while there. But Tom got on this cranberry juice and pomegranite kick so that's fallen to the way side. He'll go through "food phases" where he'll want the same thing day after day (right now its eggs and oj for breakfast). Then out of nowhere, it'll just stop. So I still look up good juicing recipes because I know it'll be back before too long. Tom doesn't like gluten free breads so he just avoids bread all together. He'll enjoy a few nuts here and there. He enjoys a nice piece of fruit. enjoys blueberries and strawberries on occasion. I bake so there's almost always some kind of "treat" in the house. Mostly cookies, brownies or muffins. I only do cake and cupcakes once in a great while because they'll stick their heads in the frosting without coming up for air. We make gfcf smoothies and shakes. Im sure I'm forgetting a hundred things but that's the gist. Our menu is pretty boring and predictable but hey! What can ya do? I use

every opportunity to throw in good oils, herbs, and spices when I cook and sneak in pureed/minced veggies whenever possible. I do NOT have it down to a perfect science - not by a long shot.

We started out gfcf and what I found, like most, was that i was actually using MORE Carbs and sugars in the beginning. Eliminating dairy helped my younger guy ALOT. It eliminated his exzema, stuffy nose and he lost a few pounds - so that was encouraging. We really didn't see much of a difference with Tom (who is the one we started the diet for in the first place Lol) except he, too, lost weight and really cant afford to. so we tweak and it has morphed over time. On occasion we will allow organic dairy as a special treat. We'll also give plain white bread in small portions. I know I probably shouldn't compare, but when I compare 's poops to Tom's, they're not as big and productive. All is takes is a slice or two of plain cheap bread and voila! Good poops. So what started out as gfcf, has morphed into avoiding soy, refined sugars, artificial colorings/flavors, and most preservatives first and foremost. Diary and gluten have taken a

lower priority because that's what works for us. Truthfully, we could easily add gluten back in without any troubles, but I choose not to simply because of the things we would want to have WITH or ON our gluten. So we don't. I've also learned that what I've ADDED to our diet is just as important as the things we avoid.

I never understood real nutrition. I grew up eating cereal for breakfast, school lunches, and dinners comprised of a meat, a starch (usually boxed like rice a roni) and a canned veg. That was nutrition. So I had, and still have, alot to learn. I like where we are at, though. If I could get the boys to eat more veggies without me having to sneak, I'd be in a very happy place.

-Tammy

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Sent: Thu Feb 16 22:43:12 EST 2012

To: mb12valtrex

is, don't ever apologize. That's what we're here for. I think it might be appropriate for you to back up and return to the foods that your son was responding well to. You've done more than enough observation to know when he has trouble with a food and when he doesn't. If you feel he did well with white bread, allow it. I wouldn't make it a main staple but I would incorporate it back into his diet. Slowly. With enzymes. Then watch. You've been ag this long enough to recognize an kntolerancenif it should occur.

Because so many ASD kids are gluten and casein intolerant, giving the diet a fair chance certainly makes sense. At the very least, its a great jump-off for parents to try to get a handle on possible food sensitivities. But I don't think its the end all - be all, especially for non-gut kids. You've gotta bigger fish to fry and really there's no point in making a problem with food when it wasn't there in the first place. Kwim?There's always going to be a trade-off. In your case, getting rid of the bleached white bread for the arsenic in rice....so...we pick the lesser of two evils...and we do what is sensible to nourish our children the best we can. These diets are extremely difficult, but if you were seeing good results, it would give you all the energy you needed to continue. You need to approach it with the same sense you would with a supplement,.medicine or.therapy: if it isn't working, move on.

I'd say you gave it more than enough time and really put your heart and soul into making it work. You didn't half-ass it. It's just not the answer you're looking for. So feed your kid foods that he doesn't react to that will provide him with the nutrients a growing boy needs and don't worry about it being a mo-no on list a,b, or c

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Hi everyone,

I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume

indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and

that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol without realizing what was going on.

is

Well, I m probably the last person to ask about diet because my kids have very few issues with food. But I'll give you the run down.

Bear in mind that these two are total carnivors in a big-time way. Their poops are good and regular, all their food is well digested. There are no phenol issues. As a side, I should note that I am cautious with and do keep track because I suspect he might have an issue with oxalates...

Breakfast: Eggs, breakfast potatoes, oj, banas and Pb, waffles and pancakes (made from various gf flours, depending what's on sale and what i happen to be experimenting with). I'm fairly successful with sneaking things here and there into the mixes. eats ZERO fruits and vegetables aside from mashed potatoes and corn (neither of which I would classify as a vegetable) so I rely heavily on his mutlti vites/mins for him and add macrogreens to anything and everything I can sneak them in. (Because there are soooooo many foods contained in this, its really not an option for everyone.)When they have toast, its usually WF brand gf, sometimes Udi's. With some Pb and jam. They enjoy coconut yogurt and almond yogurt. Once in a blue moon they will have cereal (like once every few months). Sometimes they will have bacon. I have also taken a liking to chia recently and find it relatively easy to add to foods.

Lunch and dinner: Chicken (grilled breasts or wings), Plain burgers no bread (super easy to sneak veggies into mix), potatoes presented in various fashion. Both hate rice. Tom will eat a small amount of beans and pasta. enjoys a gfcf version of Ramon noodles i make when his dad has boiled bones for his soup broths -those i make with rice noodles. They LOVE sheppards pie and would eat this 5 days out of 7 if I let them. I trick it out so I feel somewhat satisfied. American chop suey is super duper easy to sneak in all sorts of good stuff. We'll use corn pasta for that . Meatballs, too. They love steak and steak tips - me, too. But I prefer meals with ground meat simply for the sneakability factor. Tom will eat vegetables that are mixed in with his meat, (for instance, grilled chicken in sauteed veggies) but he still wont do a heaping pile on his plate. We have gotten to a point where he can atleast smell veggies cooking and sit next to someone

eating them -this is a pretty huge deal..be used to toss his cookies at the sight of them. Occasionally I will put them on his plate (partly out of high hopes but mostly because i feel they should be there!)

I was juicing alot for a while there. But Tom got on this cranberry juice and pomegranite kick so that's fallen to the way side. He'll go through "food phases" where he'll want the same thing day after day (right now its eggs and oj for breakfast). Then out of nowhere, it'll just stop. So I still look up good juicing recipes because I know it'll be back before too long. Tom doesn't like gluten free breads so he just avoids bread all together. He'll enjoy a few nuts here and there. He enjoys a nice piece of fruit. enjoys blueberries and strawberries on occasion. I bake so there's almost always some kind of "treat" in the house. Mostly cookies, brownies or muffins. I only do cake and cupcakes once in a great while because they'll stick their heads in the frosting without coming up for air. We make gfcf smoothies and shakes. Im sure I'm forgetting a hundred things but that's the gist. Our menu is pretty boring and predictable but hey! What can ya do? I use

every opportunity to throw in good oils, herbs, and spices when I cook and sneak in pureed/minced veggies whenever possible. I do NOT have it down to a perfect science - not by a long shot.

We started out gfcf and what I found, like most, was that i was actually using MORE Carbs and sugars in the beginning. Eliminating dairy helped my younger guy ALOT. It eliminated his exzema, stuffy nose and he lost a few pounds - so that was encouraging. We really didn't see much of a difference with Tom (who is the one we started the diet for in the first place Lol) except he, too, lost weight and really cant afford to. so we tweak and it has morphed over time. On occasion we will allow organic dairy as a special treat. We'll also give plain white bread in small portions. I know I probably shouldn't compare, but when I compare 's poops to Tom's, they're not as big and productive. All is takes is a slice or two of plain cheap bread and voila! Good poops. So what started out as gfcf, has morphed into avoiding soy, refined sugars, artificial colorings/flavors, and most preservatives first and foremost. Diary and gluten have taken a

lower priority because that's what works for us. Truthfully, we could easily add gluten back in without any troubles, but I choose not to simply because of the things we would want to have WITH or ON our gluten. So we don't. I've also learned that what I've ADDED to our diet is just as important as the things we avoid.

I never understood real nutrition. I grew up eating cereal for breakfast, school lunches, and dinners comprised of a meat, a starch (usually boxed like rice a roni) and a canned veg. That was nutrition. So I had, and still have, alot to learn. I like where we are at, though. If I could get the boys to eat more veggies without me having to sneak, I'd be in a very happy place.

-Tammy

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Sent: Thu Feb 16 22:43:12 EST 2012

To: mb12valtrex

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Hi everyone,

is

Hi Mariluz,I thought your email was so inspirational. I really want to break my son free of carbs and do what our doctor, Dr. Megson, suggested, a diet of mostly meats and veggies. My son is in school all day. What kinds of things could I give him for snacks? What worked for you?Thanks,Soraya

Hi is,

You are good mom and we all go through that process of knowing what is right for our kids. I can understand how you feel; I spent every weekend of the first three years of my daughter biomedical treatment cooking and baking GFCF foods and even though, I was always worried if I was doing it correctly because any option was bad for something and the bloating persisted. It was a nightmare. I used to cook during the weekends and freeze the foods for a couple of weeks. Everybody at home hated that because our weekends were spent baking, cooking, packing foods and cleaning the mess (we both have a full time job so I could not do it during the week) and on Mondays everyone was more tired and irritable than previous Friday.

It changed when we started working with Dr. G (we're not working with him anymore and it is not because NIDS protocol does not work, it is because it was really difficult for us to work with him specifically). The first thing we did in the NIDS protocol was stopping all supplements and changing her diet drastically. At the beginning I thought we would not be able to do it because my daughter was always obsessed with carbs and she really had to get cake or bread or pasta or anything similar with her meals. We stopped all that and started feeding her with meats (organic grass feed beef, organic turkey, chicken and bacon), vegetables and some fruits. We survived her tantrums for 2 weeks but by then we were free of that intensive cooking and her tummy was the best ever (better than when we worked with Dr. Krigsman and steroids, IVIG, no sugar SCD, low oxalate, etc.).

Slowly we restarted trying very small amounts of carbs (potatoes, plantain and white rice; per Dr G, whole grains are too hard to digest and can cause more inflammation) and she tolerates them well in limited amounts. However, if we give her more than 2 small portions of carbs during a couple of days she gets hyper and with low attention (yeast flare) so definitely we control it. She is doing chelation and antivirals and yeast control is much easier than when she was just doing diet and supplements and I think it is because the low carb no sugar diet.

The foods that really have helped us are goat's milk yogurt, spaghetti squash (we put olive oil with species on it and she loves it with bacon or ground meat), Applegate lunch meats, Chicken organic sausages we found in Costco, salads (lettuce, spinach, other green leaves with carrots, tomatoes and some nuts (at the beginning we stopped all nuts and now she is having just small amounts over the salads)), avocados and snap peas. Just recently we tried warm organic soy milk (I know soy is a no-no for some kids but I tried it mainly because I wanted being able to give her a warm drink in this PA winter) and she did well. We were also giving her too many foods high in phenols and it was causing undigested foods and silliness. We started giving her the no-phenol enzyme and daily Epsom salt baths and it improved. I also avoid overloading her with high-phenol foods.

In summary I feel that in our case the GFCF diet was not as effective as a low carb low sugar diet. I was spending my time and money baking foods with non-gluten flours but at the end I was given her too many carbs that were feeding yeast and bacteria. Now life is easier, she eats same meats and salads we eat with a bit of carbs and I stopped cooking her a special diet and being worried all time about what she is going to eat.

We also realize she was getting bloated with some supplements, for example, too much vitamin D causes her constipation and hence bloating. We reduce her intake of vitamin D and instead, we are giving her sun baths with a sun lamp for about 10m daily and using GcMAF so her body can really use the vitamin D. We are doing IV chelation with IV magnesium, vitamin C, zinc and NAC and she is usually a bit yeasty the day after the IV round but it goes away quickly with fluconazole and 2-3 days of GSE (+ no-phenol). We want to try liposomal vitamin C to avoid oxalates in vitamin C since it seems anything that bypass her gut avoiding irritation works well with her.

I hope you find what works well for your kid and it gives you peace. Don't worry about specific protocols and strict diets, just follow what you see working on him and it will be ok.

Regards

-Mariluz

>

> Hi everyone,

> I know a few of you were discussing the arsenic in organic brown rice issue few days ago. I just feel completely frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't know what to feed my kid. Honestly he has more gut issues than when he used both cow's milk and gluten. Since we limited the diet to gluten free, we are left with rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet extra. He doesn't tolerate quinoa and millets. Get stomach aches with most of the lentils and beans. He tolerates white rice and white potatoes with no physical symptoms but can't have sweet potatoes. I used to make almond flour bread for him but I stopped as almond is high in oxalates. Now I am not left with a lot of rotating options. My son is 8 1/2 yrs old now and cannot survive without grains. I have been rotating between white rice(basmati) and brown rice pasta by Tinkyada (both organic and the regular). Now it seems like I have even one less option. I read on one of the posts few days ago that it is safer to consume indian/indonesian rice and the one that we get from costco are indian basmati rice. I am tired of being gluten free as honestly I didn't see so many problems when he was eating gluten. Then I see Dr G's diet which allows the white bread. Channa recommended the GAPS diet but there is no way my son would be ok with that. I have limited the quantity of grains in his diet but it is impossible to remove all the grains. I have recently added back one lentil but I have to be very careful with that as he has trouble digesting lentils. Sometimes I really want to give up on the diet and restart everything as this is so frustrating that organic brown rice is even dangerous. I hope Cheryl reads this post and Cheryl if you do, please share with us what you do with your children's diet as I have read your comment several times that diet was not an issue at your house and it didn't help in your case when you tried. I was just getting ready to focus on Feingold diet and now this issue with rice and that is what he eats almost every day and I am pumping my kid with arsenic. This is awful. If anyone has any ideas about the arsenic free rice pasta, please let me know. I am so sorry I keep bothering the group with my frustrations - seems like every few days I am discovering something crazy that I have been doing with my kid (bad mommy!),like I was exposing him to too much phenol without realizing what was going on.

> is

>

Hi Mariluz,

I thought your email was so inspirational. I really want to break my son free of

carbs and do what our doctor, Dr. Megson, suggested, a diet of mostly meats and

veggies. My son is in school all day. What kinds of things could I give him for

snacks? What worked for you?

Thanks,

Soraya

Thanks Tammy! All the details you provided would really help me. I am looking

into LDN to see if it would help my son tolerate more foods. But as I mentioned,

he tolerated gluten just fine and never had any gut issues before I started GF

diet. And I agree with you that his BMs were nicer when he had wheat and he gets

more on the constipated side now unless I supplement a lot of magnesium. What

white bread do you use? I would love to add something other than rice to his

diet for carbs. I am getting spaghetti squash tomorrow and will see if it works

at all. The stores that I go to only have a few organic vegetables like squash,

zucchini, carrots, celery, lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, and broccoli. My son

doesn't tolerate spinach, broccoli and cauliflower and I am left with only

squash and zucchini to cook as I read somewhere that cooked carrot promotes

yeast. I juice lettuce and celery with carrots a couple times a week. My son

doesn't like veggies either. So I need a medium to sneak them in. Rice and pasta

help with that. If I could add back white bread, maybe I could sneak veggies

with meat and make a sandwich in the sandwich maker and I am sure he would love

it. I am going to try some ideas that you use and see how it goes. Thanks again

Tammy!

is

I imagine the problem with fully eliminating carbs for a prolonged period of time is that I can see how it would exacerbate mito dysfunction?  (I'm not challenging what you're saying, I'm just talking from my experience with it from my 2 kids...which isn't a whole lot).  I'm not saying that it's not necessary to do it temporarily for some types of situations, because sometimes we need to remove all carbs for a little while if it's perpetuating some GI inflammation, but I'm finding that thinking about how carnitine needs carbs to be work properly, and I'm not even talking about the carnitine that's supplemented -- it's probably true even for the carnitine that's coming from food sources and made by the body -- with a zero carb diet for a prolonged period of time, I wonder if it will affect the way carnitine is utilized, thus, when people are on virtually carb-free diets for any prolonged of time, they may start experiencing symptoms that mimick carnitine deficiency and it's not that there's an actual carnitine deficiency but more that the body doesn't have the starchy carbohydrate resources to use the carnitine from food sources? 

I had to eliminate starches for my kids for a while because of the GI inflammation that was caused by being gluten-free for close to a year (well, actually, longer if you count being SCD -- it was over a year) and me not knowing that I should have supplemented a good b-complex when I did GFCF initially.  But after a while of carnitine supplementation, I found that it was helpful to reintroduce carbs again and the kids actually started doing better. 

I think a lot of the diets should be viewed as a treatment that has a limited life.  We still eat mostly all whole foods (we still maintain a diet of 90% whole foods and once in a while, they can have a health food store-bought snack with no more than 5 ingredients) but after I re-introduced gluten again, they did much better.  I think diets should be viewed as a form of " medicine " because eliminating things can be as effective as supplementing things, but it should be viewed as a temporary treatment and, IMHO, it shouldn't be something that goes on for years, especially if it's having negative effects. 

And, certainly, if a diet is found to be having negative effects, I would view that as a " medicine " that isn't right for the child and I would 100% alter the diet back to one when when their GI system was doing better.  It kind of gets under my skin when I see people suggesting that I wasn't doing the diet right and there was a cross-contamination issue.  That wasn't our problem.  Our problem was that my son needed the things in wheat and dairy in his diet.  I hate it that there's all this guilt slammed on me for pulling him off the diet.  I got some stories about people who kept saying that my son needed to be GF (the GI specialist, our behavior person from the children's hospital) -- but it was the wrong thing to do to treat the issues we had.  It's definitely something that should not be universally and indefinitely prescribed to all ASD kids.