Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Welcome e!

You'll find this group to be a great support, very knowledgable and helpful

with a wide variety of subjects.

I'm glad you're here and that it seems that your son will finally get the help

he needs.

What is his specific diagnosis? Aspergers?

e <cateyes1981@...> wrote:

Hello my name is e and just a few days ago I was told that my

son Austin has Autism. We knew he was delayed and has been working

with ot and speech for almost a year now but never thought about

Autism. I feel bad because we always thought that his fits where just

that fits and that I hate to say it that he was a mama's boy because I

was the only one he realy seemed to open up to. They told me that they

would be sending people out to his daycare to work with him more and

that they would teach them what to do to best help him but noone has

offered us any help. I honsetly don't know where to turn or who to

talk to about this can anyone help us.

e and Jerry parents of our perfect boy Austin

---------------------------------

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Guest guest

Austin should definitely get speech therapy. Repeating what others say is

“echolalia” and kids with autism can often have this problem. In one sense,

it is good because you can see that what goes in is coming out ok. Now you

need to teach him his own words, how to name items, how to request what he

wants, etc. You should definitely look into early intervention. I’m not

sure how old Austin is but get to your local school system if he’s pre-k age

or above and request an evaluation for sped services. If he’s younger than

3, locate your local developmental delay program. You can often find it by

searching on google for your state plus early intervention.

Roxanna ôô

“If you’ve told a child a thousand times and he still does not understand,

then it is not the child who is the slow learner.”

Walter Barbee

_____

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of e C

Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:36 PM

Subject: Re: ( ) Hello

Austin was in st for about a year when they decided that even though he was

saying words without understanding the meaning of them just repeating what

he heard others say that he didnt need it anymore but now they are saying

that he is going to get it again. they had stopped ot when we moved from pa

to al say he didnt qualify for it here yet he did there i didnt understand

that but i went with it he has had what they called a special helper come

every other week and they dont plan to increase that even though i think he

needs more because he refuses to even play near other children in his class

the only time he might get close is to eat color or listen to music time

(which is more then he did at the other day care we pulled him out of) our

biggest thing is none offered us any help but they are going out of their

way to help the day care dont get me wrong i am happy they are helping the

daycare but shouldnt someone be offering me and my husband some tips at

least the only

thing they did for us is give us a print out of some medical text that we

didnt really understand and sent us on our way we know some of the things

that he does are due to the autism but what else do we look for what should

we expect what can we do to help him shouldnt they be helping us with some

of those questions

oh and i have a question being in the water seems to calm him or anything to

do with water like the sound of it watching our fish tank for hours or just

watching water run is that part of it also we got a dog not to long ago and

he seems to have opened up to him is that part of it too i know i am asking

alot of questions but i dont know anything about this and need as much help

as possible

--

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.9/382 - Release Date: 7/4/2006

--

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.9/382 - Release Date: 7/4/2006

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

HI and welcome! My daughter has had the hanger band for about 1.5 months. She is 8 mo. old. She's adjusted very well - and we are already seeing correction. Has your baby had the scan done or been casted yet?

It's really not as bad or traumatic as you might initially think. I was worried too but it's really been mellow.

Jen

Mommy to 4...and 1 more!!!!

"Luli"

www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jens5th/

Guest guest

Where do you live and what kind of helmet will your son be getting? A lot of us here are currently going through the same thing and would be happy to answer any questions that you have.Alison

mom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach FL

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172@...Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:21:18 +0000Subject: Hello

Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some experiences they have had with these helmets?? Thanks! With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free!

Guest guest

hi - thanks for responding - we live in new york he's getting a helmet that looks like a football helmet - from hanger prostetics - not sure what type of helmet but im pretty sure its not a band - how about you? do you have a son or a daughter - are they already wearing the helmet? how did they react - im so nervous it will make my son fussy and he is such a happy baby! I have so many questions and talking with people who are going through the same thing really seems to help! Please respond if you can, Thanks!Alison Marcoff <amarcof@...> wrote: Where do you live and what kind of helmet will your son be getting? A lot of us here are currently going through the same thing and would be happy to answer any questions that you have.Alisonmom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach FL Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:21:18 +0000Subject: Hello Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some experiences they have had with these helmets?? Thanks! With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free!

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

We live in Michigan and our 7 month old son has a helmet from U of

M. Our son adjusted very well. We thought it would also make our

son fussy but it didn't at all. His head does itch from time to

time and the helmet does smell even though you clean it daily. We

are having a very warm summer so it has affected some of our outside

time. We don't want to take him out in the heat and we've already

had plenty of days over 90 degrees. So that is really the only

downside becuse he loves to be outside and would stay there all day

long if he could. It is really a positive experience.

Kim

> Where do you live and what kind of helmet will your son

be getting? A lot of us here are currently going through the same

thing and would be happy to answer any questions that you have.

>

> Alison

> mom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)

> Boynton Beach FL

>

> ---------------------------------

> Plagiocephaly

> From: bc071172@...

> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:21:18 +0000

> Subject: Hello

>

> Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is

about to be

> wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some

> experiences they have had with these helmets??

> Thanks!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes,

photos and more. It's free! It's free!

>

>

>

>

> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and

30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

>

Guest guest

Hello and welcome to the group.

Can you give us some more specific things like what type of

helmet/band he will be getting, where you are located, what type of

questions do you have?

Your son is at an awosome age to receive tx for plagio.

Sandy Willow's mom

torticollis resolved 02/04

cranio germany grad 02/04

>

> Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be

> wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some

> experiences they have had with these helmets??

> Thanks!

>

Guest guest

Hi - thats one thing I was happy about that the summer is almost over so for another month we cantry and keep him inside as much as possible although like you said, he loves the outisde and the pool. How do you make the smell go away? How often do you take it off? Can you send me some pictures - I have never even seen a live version of a baby wearing one of these - thanks!mattycatmetzger <kkorenchuk@...> wrote: We live in Michigan and our 7 month old son has a helmet from U of M. Our son adjusted

very well. We thought it would also make our son fussy but it didn't at all. His head does itch from time to time and the helmet does smell even though you clean it daily. We are having a very warm summer so it has affected some of our outside time. We don't want to take him out in the heat and we've already had plenty of days over 90 degrees. So that is really the only downside becuse he loves to be outside and would stay there all day long if he could. It is really a positive experience.Kim> Where do you live and what kind of helmet will your son be getting? A lot of us here are currently going through the same thing and would be happy to answer any questions that you have.> > Alison> mom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)> Boynton Beach FL> > ---------------------------------> Plagiocephaly > From: bc071172@...> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:21:18 +0000> Subject: Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5

/2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.>

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.

Try it free.

Guest guest

we are in long island.. i didnt even know they do this for a baby who is only 3 months - we noticed my sons flathead around that time and i was told to just wait and see if it gets better with physical therapy and all but now he is almost 6 months and it really didnt improve too much so now we are putting on the helmet. Do you think he is too old for it now? allykittie79@... wrote: Where are in NY are you? We are in NY too, near Buffalo. Getting a STARband in Rochester. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

im not exactly sure what kind of hemlet it is - we are getting it from hanger if that helps - we didnt even know about these bands - we are in ny.. really you think he isnt too old at almost 6 months? im worried about that and im hoping im not putting it on him too late for no reason.. im mostly concerned with the helmet making my son fussy and uncomfortable.. ive heard it itches their heads a bit and has a funny smell sometimes even when you keep it clean - maybe you can send me some pictures of what your baby's looks like! ThanksSandy <samipa74@...> wrote: Hello and welcome to the group.Can you give us some more specific things like what type of helmet/band he will be getting, where you are located, what type of questions do you have?Your son is at an awosome age to receive tx for plagio.Sandy Willow's momtorticollis resolved 02/04cranio germany grad 02/04>> Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!>

Groups are talking. We´re listening. Check out the handy changes to .

Guest guest

Hanger makes their own band or sometimes they provide the STARband. 6 months old is definitely not too late to band your baby. You will find lots of people in this group that have banded their babies at well over 6 months. Most, if not all, babies adjust really well to their bands. Sometimes there is an initial adjustment period but soon you don't even notice that it's on. Yes, the band can cause the itchies, but it is usually only noticeable during the one hour that the band is off. My son hates having the band off because he gets so itchy then :>) Yes, they do smell a bit funny but as long as you keep the band clean it doesn't get too bad. My son's pictures are in the Our Plagio Babies N folder - http://health.ph./group/Plagiocephaly/photos/view/6e11?b=25

Molly

California

Nicolas, 9.5 months, tort & plagio, STARband 4/25/06

, 3.5

, 6.5

-----Original Message-----From: Plagiocephaly [mailto:Plagiocephaly ] On Behalf Of blcSent: 28 July 2006 5:23 AMPlagiocephaly Subject: Re: Re: Hello

im not exactly sure what kind of hemlet it is - we are getting it from hanger if that helps - we didnt even know about these bands - we are in ny..

really you think he isnt too old at almost 6 months? im worried about that and im hoping im not putting it on him too late for no reason..

im mostly concerned with the helmet making my son fussy and uncomfortable.. ive heard it itches their heads a bit and has a funny smell sometimes even when you keep it clean -

maybe you can send me some pictures of what your baby's looks like!

ThanksSandy <samipa74@...> wrote:

Hello and welcome to the group.Can you give us some more specific things like what type of helmet/band he will be getting, where you are located, what type o! f questions do you have?Your son is at an awosome age to receive tx for plagio.Sandy Willow's momtorticollis resolved 02/04cranio germany grad 02/04>> Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!>

Groups are talking. We´re listening. Check out the handy changes to .

Guest guest

he is adorable and looks very happy as if its not bothering him ata ll - i hope my son reacts the same!"Foley, Molly" <mafoley@...> wrote: Hanger makes their own band or sometimes they provide the STARband. 6 months old is definitely not too late to band your baby. You will find lots of people in this group that have banded their babies at well over 6 months. Most, if not all, babies adjust really well to their

bands. Sometimes there is an initial adjustment period but soon you don't even notice that it's on. Yes, the band can cause the itchies, but it is usually only noticeable during the one hour that the band is off. My son hates having the band off because he gets so itchy then :>) Yes, they do smell a bit funny but as long as you keep the band clean it doesn't get too bad. My son's pictures are in the Our Plagio Babies N folder - http://health.ph./group/Plagiocephaly/photos/view/6e11?b=25 Molly California Nicolas, 9.5 months, tort & plagio, STARband 4/25/06 , 3.5 , 6.5 -----Original Message-----From: Plagiocephaly [mailto:Plagiocephaly ] On Behalf Of blcSent: 28 July 2006 5:23 AMPlagiocephaly Subject: Re: Re: Hello im not exactly sure what kind of hemlet it is - we are getting it from hanger if that helps - we didnt even

know about these bands - we are in ny.. really you think he isnt too old at almost 6 months? im worried about that and im hoping im not putting it on him too late for no reason.. im mostly concerned with the helmet making my son fussy and uncomfortable.. ive heard it itches their heads a bit and has a funny smell sometimes even when you keep it clean - maybe you can send me some pictures of what your baby's looks like! ThanksSandy <samipa74 > wrote: Hello and welcome to the group.Can you give us some more specific things like what type of helmet/band he will be getting, where you are located, what type o! f questions do you have?Your son is at an awosome age to receive tx for plagio.Sandy Willow's momtorticollis resolved

02/04cranio germany grad 02/04>> Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> Groups are talking. We´re listening. Check out the handy changes to . __________________________________________________

Guest guest

We use 's baby shampoo and it seems to help. We like the smell so his head smells like that instead of the helmet. We do wash his head everyday even if he does not get a bath. We wash the helmet with alc then put it on the ac vent to cool off while it's drying. Seems to work well.

Here are some photos too.

Kim

Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.>

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Guest guest

he is adorable - how old is he? that helmet/band looks cool with the holes around it - did you have a choice to get it like that instead of the one that my son is getting which is just open on the top?Kim Metzger <kkorenchuk@...> wrote: We use 's baby shampoo and it seems to help. We like the smell so his head smells like that instead of the helmet. We do wash his head everyday even if he does not get a bath. We wash the helmet with alc then put it on the ac vent

to cool off while it's drying. Seems to work well. Here are some photos too. Kim Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > >

---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out.

Guest guest

thanks so much for the advice - my son is getting the band tomorrow and i am having such anxiety and nervousness on how he will react - I know I have to be strong for him. How old is now - My son will be 6 months next week and even though I have been assured it is not too late, I still think he is older than most.. So your daughter only wore it for 2 1/2 months - When you took it off, how did she react? Did she position herself on her back again? Would the "flat head" ever come back after the helmet comes off? My son is rolling onto his belly lately - too bad he didnt do that sooner.. Thanks again for your advice on the itching and smelling - these are 2 negatives I have heard about with the helmet but we will take your advice and I'm sure it will be ok. Talk soon...Jen <ronandjenvelez@...> wrote: Hello. Yes, 's Hanger Band did look somewhat like a football helmet. You can see a picture of her in her band in the photo section under Before and after/Hanger Band under V if you would like. :) wore her band for 11 weeks and yes, we were very happy with the results. She rounded out nicely and received 10mm of correction. As far as wearing the band... most babies wear their bands for approximately 23 hours a day for an average of about 3-4 months, though this varies depending on the baby's age and also on the severity of the plagio. You should keep it on them

as close to the 23 hours as possible, leaving it off for bathtime, getting them dressed and allowing time for the inside of the band to dry after you clean it. To clean the inside of the band most people use 91% alchohol and either a cloth or a brush (baby hair brush or soft toothbrush. You don't want to use water or use anything like shampoo or other cleaner that could irritate the baby's scalp. (the Orthotist will give you all the info on cleaning and caring for the band when your Son is fitted). Yes, the inside of the bands can get stinky, but with regular cleaning with the alchohol and also using a nice smelling shampoo on your baby's head, usually you can take care of most of the smell. We used L'Oreal kids blueberry smoothie shampoo and cleaned the band once of twice daily and never had too much of a problem with smell. :)Again, good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions or even email me directly if

you would like to. My email address is ronandjenvelez @ peoplepc.com (just take out the spaces)Keep us updated.Jen :) (almost 2), tort resolved, Hanger Band Grad (4.5 years) > > HI and welcome! My daughter has had the hanger band for > about 1.5 months. She is 8 mo. old. She's adjusted very well - and > we are already seeing correction. Has your baby had the scan done > or been casted yet?> > > > It's really not as bad or traumatic as you might initially think. > I was worried too but it's really been mellow.> > Jen> > Mommy to 4...and 1

more!!!!> > "Luli"> > www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jens5th/> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Do you ?> > Everyone is raving about the all-new Beta.> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Do you ?> Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Beta.> __________________________________________________

Guest guest

He's almost 8 months. The helmet came that way with the holes. It's UM's design so it looks a bit different. We notice some inprovement already in his flat spot but we get measured in 2 weeks. They had other choices for colors or you could get a patterened one- flowers- cars- etc. Which beand is your son getting?

Kim

Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.>

Guest guest

did he just start wearing the helmet at 8 months? how long did they say he will need to wear it? my son is getting a white helmet with a miami dolphin emblem on the back - my husband is a huge dolphin fan! let me know what happens at the measurement! good luck? how fast did you notice a difference in the flat head? i was told as soon as 2 weeks!Kim Metzger <kkorenchuk@...> wrote: He's almost 8 months. The helmet

came that way with the holes. It's UM's design so it looks a bit different. We notice some inprovement already in his flat spot but we get measured in 2 weeks. They had other choices for colors or you could get a patterened one- flowers- cars- etc. Which beand is your son getting? Kim Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

He started wearing the helmet at 61/2 months. We noticed his flatness go away in about 2 weeks but his head shape is still distorted to one side. They estimate anywhere from 3-6 months of wear. The dolphins idea is so cute- isn't it funny how the dads are so anxious to turn them into little athletes. I will let you know about the measurements- please send me pictures too!!

Kim

Guest guest

Hi Kim - We got 's helmet yesterday - it went well I guess - he seemed to be ok with it since they only make you wear it for a few hrs the first few days - I took some pictures but my husband hasnt uploaded them to the computer yet as soon as he does I will send you some before and after shots! I notice the helmet makes 's eyes squint a bit since it pushes down - did you find this? I kept thinking I didnt have it on right but I am pretty sure I do - He seems to be comfortable with it for now but lets see how it goes when he has to sleep through the night with it - He usually sleeps on his belly - will the helmet allow him to still do that? Thanks for listening - By the way, the dolphin helmet came out cute but its only in the back and the rest of it is all white - I tried putting some stickers on it but they peel off a bit.. I think I would have preferred one of the helmets already painted but at the time I didnt think I

would like that - oh well - its too late now! Talk soon, BethKim Metzger <kkorenchuk@...> wrote: He started wearing the helmet at 61/2 months. We noticed his flatness go away in about 2 weeks but his head shape is still distorted to one side. They estimate anywhere from 3-6 months of wear. The dolphins idea is so cute- isn't it funny how the dads are so anxious to turn them into little athletes. I will let you know about the measurements-

please send me pictures too!! Kim Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > >

---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Beth,I had the same thing with the helmet pushing down my daughter's eyebrows and sometimes making her look a little squinty (not all the time though). What I have noticed is that since having the helmet (it's been almost 2 months now and we only have 2 weeks left!!) she seems to rub her eyes a lot more, so I think it must have to do with how it pushes down on her eyebrows.

You mentioned the dolphin theme of your son's helmet-- do you live in S. Florida?Alison

mom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)

Boynton Beach, FL

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172@...Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:13:49 -0700Subject: Re: Re: Hello

Hi Kim - We got 's helmet yesterday - it went well I guess - he seemed to be ok with it since they only make you wear it for a few hrs the first few days - I took some pictures but my husband hasnt uploaded them to the computer yet as soon as he does I will send you some before and after shots! I notice the helmet makes 's eyes squint a bit since it pushes down - did you find this? I kept thinking I didnt have it on right but I am pretty sure I do - He seems to be comfortable with it for now but lets see how it goes when he has to sleep through the night with it - He usually sleeps on his belly - will the helmet allow him to still do that?

Thanks for listening - By the way, the dolphin helmet came out cute but its only in the back and the rest of it is all white - I tried putting some stickers on it but they peel off a bit.. I think I would have preferred one of the helmets already painted but at the time I didnt think I would like that - oh well - its too late now!

Talk soon,

BethKim Metzger <kkorenchukcomcast (DOT) net> wrote:

He started wearing the helmet at 61/2 months. We noticed his flatness go away in about 2 weeks but his head shape is still distorted to one side. They estimate anywhere from 3-6 months of wear. The dolphins idea is so cute- isn't it funny how the dads are so anxious to turn them into little athletes. I will let you know about the measurements- please send me pictures too!!

Kim

Guest guest

Hi Alison, We live in NY but my husband went to college at FIU in Miami and of course had season tickets to the dolphins - he wishes we would live there now - Your from Boyton Beach - so nice there - my best friends lives in Boca and we love it there! I keep thinking I should call the dr and ask if I have the helmet on right b/c I dont want to have other issues when I take the helmet off like with his eyes ... This is frustrating and I am so jealous your daughter's helmet is coming off soon - do you see a huge difference from when you started with the helmet??? She didnt need it for that long - thats great - they say will most likely have to wear it 4 months... He will be almost 10 months by then.. I guess we have to get used to it for a while... Talk soon, BethAlison Marcoff <amarcof@...> wrote: Beth,I had the same thing with the helmet pushing down my daughter's eyebrows and sometimes making her look a little squinty (not all the time though). What I have noticed is that since having the helmet (it's been almost 2 months now and we only have 2 weeks left!!) she seems to rub her eyes a lot more, so I think it must have to do with how it pushes down on her eyebrows. You mentioned the dolphin theme of your son's helmet-- do you live in S. Florida?Alisonmom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach,

FL Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:13:49 -0700Subject: Re: Re: Hello Hi Kim - We got 's helmet yesterday - it went well I guess - he seemed to be ok with it since they only make you wear it for a few hrs the first few days - I took some pictures but my husband hasnt uploaded them to the computer yet as soon as he does I will send you some before and after shots! I notice the helmet makes 's eyes squint a bit since it pushes down - did you find this? I kept thinking I didnt have it on right but I am pretty sure I do - He seems to be comfortable with it for now but lets see how it goes when he has to sleep through the night with it - He usually sleeps on his belly - will the helmet allow him to

still do that? Thanks for listening - By the way, the dolphin helmet came out cute but its only in the back and the rest of it is all white - I tried putting some stickers on it but they peel off a bit.. I think I would have preferred one of the helmets already painted but at the time I didnt think I would like that - oh well - its too late now! Talk soon, BethKim Metzger <kkorenchukcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: He started wearing the helmet at 61/2 months. We noticed his flatness go away in about 2 weeks but his head shape is still distorted to one side. They estimate anywhere from 3-6 months of wear. The dolphins idea is so cute- isn't it funny how the dads are so anxious to turn them into little athletes. I will let you know about the measurements-

please send me pictures too!! Kim Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > >

---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > > > > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Hi Beth,I actually work at FAU in Boca. Yes, I'm glad that our whole helmet experience is almost over (we can go to the beach now!!)-- although the stretching/PT will continue for quite awhile! I'm happy that we did it though (in spite of the fact that insurance didn't cover it) and I'm satisfied with the correction that we've seen. She went from nearly 9mm asymmetry to just under 5mm in a little less than 2 months and her ear alignment really improved a lot. I think her helmet generally fit pretty well-- a couple of times right after she had it adjusted we noticed it kind of falling down onto her eyebrows a bit, but nothing so bad that we felt like we had to go back to see the tech again.

Did insurance cover 's helmet? What kind does he have? How bad is his asymmetry? Does he have torticollis too? Did anyone ever mention that he might need a second helmet at some point? (I don't want to freak you out or anything but it seems like with the one we have--STARband-- they only last through about 2 months or so of adjustments and then if your child required additional treatment you'd have to get fit for a 2nd helmet).

Alison

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172@...Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:58:22 -0700Subject: RE: Re: Hello

Hi Alison,

We live in NY but my husband went to college at FIU in Miami and of course had season tickets to the dolphins - he wishes we would live there now - Your from Boyton Beach - so nice there - my best friends lives in Boca and we love it there!

I keep thinking I should call the dr and ask if I have the helmet on right b/c I dont want to have other issues when I take the helmet off like with his eyes ... This is frustrating and I am so jealous your daughter's helmet is coming off soon - do you see a huge difference from when you started with the helmet??? She didnt need it for that long - thats great - they say will most likely have to wear it 4 months... He will be almost 10 months by then.. I guess we have to get used to it for a while...

Talk soon,

BethAlison Marcoff <amarcofhotmail> wrote:

Beth,I had the same thing with the helmet pushing down my daughter's eyebrows and sometimes making her look a little squinty (not all the time though). What I have noticed is that since having the helmet (it's been almost 2 months now and we only have 2 weeks left!!) she seems to rub her eyes a lot more, so I think it must have to do with how it pushes down on her eyebrows. You mentioned the dolphin theme of your son's helmet-- do you live in S. Florida?Alisonmom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach, FL

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:13:49 -0700Subject: Re: Re: Hello

Hi Kim - We got 's helmet yesterday - it went well I guess - he seemed to be ok with it since they only make you wear it for a few hrs the first few days - I took some pictures but my husband hasnt uploaded them to the computer yet as soon as he does I will send you some before and after shots! I notice the helmet makes 's eyes squint a bit since it pushes down - did you find this? I kept thinking I didnt have it on right but I am pretty sure I do - He seems to be comfortable with it for now but lets see how it goes when he has to sleep through the night with it - He usually sleeps on his belly - will the helmet allow him to still do that?

Thanks for listening - By the way, the dolphin helmet came out cute but its only in the back and the rest of it is all white - I tried putting some stickers on it but they peel off a bit.. I think I would have preferred one of the helmets already painted but at the time I didnt think I would like that - oh well - its too late now!

Talk soon,

Kim

Guest guest

Hello, I think he has a nicband - did you ever heaar of that kind - its on the pamphlet that hanger gave us yesterday - i believe insurance is going to cover the expenses but since they just submitted it officially yesterday - i guess i will find out for sure - i had a dr write a letter of medical necessity so i think that may help.. has totocolis which they say is what caused his flat head - he was also 4 weeks early so that may have helped too.. We take him to PT once a week for his tortocolis but i still see him tilt to one side... Noone had mentioned a 2nd helmet to me although I have been reading so much about this and I read that sometimes happens. Did your daughter have flat head in the back or one side - has it on the right side.. I wish it was over and it just began... Do you have any other children? He is our first!Alison Marcoff

<amarcof@...> wrote: Hi Beth,I actually work at FAU in Boca. Yes, I'm glad that our whole helmet experience is almost over (we can go to the beach now!!)-- although the stretching/PT will continue for quite awhile! I'm happy that we did it though (in spite of the fact that insurance didn't cover it) and I'm satisfied with the correction that we've seen. She went from nearly 9mm asymmetry to just under 5mm in a little less than 2 months and her ear alignment really improved a lot. I think

her helmet generally fit pretty well-- a couple of times right after she had it adjusted we noticed it kind of falling down onto her eyebrows a bit, but nothing so bad that we felt like we had to go back to see the tech again. Did insurance cover 's helmet? What kind does he have? How bad is his asymmetry? Does he have torticollis too? Did anyone ever mention that he might need a second helmet at some point? (I don't want to freak you out or anything but it seems like with the one we have--STARband-- they only last through about 2 months or so of adjustments and then if your child required additional treatment you'd have to get fit for a 2nd helmet). Alison Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:58:22 -0700Subject: RE: Re:

Hello Hi Alison, We live in NY but my husband went to college at FIU in Miami and of course had season tickets to the dolphins - he wishes we would live there now - Your from Boyton Beach - so nice there - my best friends lives in Boca and we love it there! I keep thinking I should call the dr and ask if I have the helmet on right b/c I dont want to have other issues when I take the helmet off like with his eyes ... This is frustrating and I am so jealous your daughter's helmet is coming off soon - do you see a huge difference from when you started with the helmet??? She didnt need it for that long - thats great - they say will most likely have to wear it 4 months... He will be almost 10 months by then.. I guess we have to get used to it for a while... Talk soon, BethAlison

Marcoff <amarcofhotmail> wrote: Beth,I had the same thing with the helmet pushing down my daughter's eyebrows and sometimes making her look a little squinty (not all the time though). What I have noticed is that since having the helmet (it's been almost 2 months now and we only have 2 weeks left!!) she seems to rub her eyes a lot more, so I think it must have to do with how it pushes down on her eyebrows. You mentioned the dolphin theme of your son's helmet-- do you live in S. Florida?Alisonmom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach, FL Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:13:49 -0700Subject: Re: Re:

Hello Hi Kim - We got 's helmet yesterday - it went well I guess - he seemed to be ok with it since they only make you wear it for a few hrs the first few days - I took some pictures but my husband hasnt uploaded them to the computer yet as soon as he does I will send you some before and after shots! I notice the helmet makes 's eyes squint a bit since it pushes down - did you find this? I kept thinking I didnt have it on right but I am pretty sure I do - He seems to be comfortable with it for now but lets see how it goes when he has to sleep through the night with it - He usually sleeps on his belly - will the helmet allow him to still do that? Thanks for listening - By the way, the dolphin helmet came out cute but its only in the back and the rest of it is all white - I tried putting some stickers on it but they peel off a bit.. I think

I would have preferred one of the helmets already painted but at the time I didnt think I would like that - oh well - its too late now! Talk soon, BethKim Metzger <kkorenchukcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: He started wearing the helmet at 61/2 months. We noticed his flatness go away in about 2 weeks but his head shape is still distorted to one side. They estimate anywhere from 3-6 months of wear. The dolphins idea is so cute- isn't it funny how the dads are so anxious to turn them into little athletes. I will let you know about the measurements- please send me pictures too!! Kim Hello> > Hi - I am new to this group as mt 5 /2 month old son is about to be > wearing a helmet - is there anyone out there who can send me some > experiences they have had with these helmets?? > Thanks!> > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> With MSN Spaces email straight to your blog. Upload jokes, photos and more. It's free! It's free! > > >

> > ---------------------------------> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.> Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. See the all-new, redesigned .com. Check it out. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Beth,

Our situation is pretty similar to yours. She's our first and was born 4 weeks early (I had low amniotic fluid). She has right torticollis (diagnosed at 2 months) which means she's flat on the left side and she's been going to PT since she was 4 months old (she's 10 months old now). Since he's so young and depending on the severity you may find that he needs the helmet for less than 4 months-- I think sometimes they just like to give you the "worst case scenario" up front. I know what you mean about wishing it were already over with... but it does go by faster than you think. A lot of it also depends on keeping up with the stretches (even without resting on that side of the head the tightness that causes the tilt also contributes to the asymmetry). Good luck with the insurance-- unfortunately, even a letter of medical necessity is no guarantee that they'll cover it!Alison

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172@...Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:18:44 -0700Subject: RE: Re: Hello

Hello,

I think he has a nicband - did you ever heaar of that kind - its on the pamphlet that hanger gave us yesterday - i believe insurance is going to cover the expenses but since they just submitted it officially yesterday - i guess i will find out for sure - i had a dr write a letter of medical necessity so i think that may help..

has totocolis which they say is what caused his flat head - he was also 4 weeks early so that may have helped too.. We take him to PT once a week for his tortocolis but i still see him tilt to one side... Noone had mentioned a 2nd helmet to me although I have been reading so much about this and I read that sometimes happens.

Did your daughter have flat head in the back or one side - has it on the right side.. I wish it was over and it just began... Do you have any other children? He is our first!Alison Marcoff <amarcofhotmail> wrote:

Hi Beth,I actually work at FAU in Boca. Yes, I'm glad that our whole helmet experience is almost over (we can go to the beach now!!)-- although the stretching/PT will continue for quite awhile! I'm happy that we did it though (in spite of the fact that insurance didn't cover it) and I'm satisfied with the correction that we've seen. She went from nearly 9mm asymmetry to just under 5mm in a little less than 2 months and her ear alignment really improved a lot. I think her helmet generally fit pretty well-- a couple of times right after she had it adjusted we noticed it kind of falling down onto her eyebrows a bit, but nothing so bad that we felt like we had to go back to see the tech again. Did insurance cover 's helmet? What kind does he have? How bad is his asymmetry? Does he have torticollis too? Did anyone ever mention that he might need a second helmet at some point? (I don't want to freak you out or anything but it seems like with the one we have--STARband-- they only last through about 2 months or so of adjustments and then if your child required additional treatment you'd have to get fit for a 2nd helmet). Alison

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:58:22 -0700Subject: RE: Re: Hello

Hi Alison,

We live in NY but my husband went to college at FIU in Miami and of course had season tickets to the dolphins - he wishes we would live there now - Your from Boyton Beach - so nice there - my best friends lives in Boca and we love it there!

I keep thinking I should call the dr and ask if I have the helmet on right b/c I dont want to have other issues when I take the helmet off like with his eyes ... This is frustrating and I am so jealous your daughter's helmet is coming off soon - do you see a huge difference from when you started with the helmet??? She didnt need it for that long - thats great - they say will most likely have to wear it 4 months... He will be almost 10 months by then.. I guess we have to get used to it for a while...

Talk soon,

BethAlison Marcoff <amarcofhotmail> wrote:

Beth,I had the same thing with the helmet pushing down my daughter's eyebrows and sometimes making her look a little squinty (not all the time though). What I have noticed is that since having the helmet (it's been almost 2 months now and we only have 2 weeks left!!) she seems to rub her eyes a lot more, so I think it must have to do with how it pushes down on her eyebrows. You mentioned the dolphin theme of your son's helmet-- do you live in S. Florida?Alisonmom to Leila, born 9/25/05 (tort/plagio, STARband 6/5/06)Boynton Beach, FL

Plagiocephaly From: bc071172 Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:13:49 -0700Subject: Re: Re: Hello

Talk soon,

Kim