RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: new member, some quick questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know that Ener-G makes gluten free pretzels, but I have never tried them :) I can understand what you are going through though. I am an occupational therapist who works in a sensory integration clinic and I can't imagine most of my patients having to go on a gluten free diet. Too many of them like only crunchy or only soft foods. Good luck !!!!!

I know that there are plenty of breads, crackers, and potato chips, but I'm just learning too, so someone else will have to give you the brand names!!!! Tinkyada makes great brown rice pastas, and there are many gluten-free spaghettic sauces available, hopefully something that you could make to imitate spagehettios :)

jennifer

Guest guest

I know that Ener-G makes gluten free pretzels, but I have never tried them :) I can understand what you are going through though. I am an occupational therapist who works in a sensory integration clinic and I can't imagine most of my patients having to go on a gluten free diet. Too many of them like only crunchy or only soft foods. Good luck !!!!!

I know that there are plenty of breads, crackers, and potato chips, but I'm just learning too, so someone else will have to give you the brand names!!!! Tinkyada makes great brown rice pastas, and there are many gluten-free spaghettic sauces available, hopefully something that you could make to imitate spagehettios :)

jennifer

Guest guest

jennifer

Guest guest

Sally - my child has always been a very picky eater also. Completely unwilling to put anything new/ different in his mouth. We also tried to replace what he liked with GF alternatives. A few suggestions from my Jake to your Mattie: pretzels - ener-g; potato chips - try Lays Stacks; Bread - En er-g tapioca or white rice bread (both need to be toasted first) and whole foods makes a good "sandwich bread" (it's yellow, so haven't convinced Jake to try it yet); Spag. O's - try tinkyada white rice spag. with tomato sauce mixed with a little milk (it took a while for Jake to try the different shape). As a note of encouragement, after about 6 weeks on a GF diet, Jake started to try new things. Hope this is the case for you. Good Luck, Kerri sallyjd2001 wrote: Hi,I am Sally, mom to (Mattie) 6 1/2 who was just diagnosed with Celiac through biopsy. Unfortunately, Mattie has always had many sensory issues regarding food (Mattie is also special needs)So... many of the things he likes to eat have gluten in them and he doesn't eat typical stuff that doesn't have gluten like fruits and vegetables. We are hoping that this is the perfect opportunity to introduce natural gluten free foods back into his diet but think this will take awhile! So.. our big concern is that he will have a really rough time at first and I am hoping all of the experts in this group can help us out. His only symptom we noticed was delayed growth. So here are a few questions that I am sure many people have asked so I am sorry to do it again.1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish cracker type that is gluten free out there? what

about regular potato chips?2) What about something similar to spaghettios?3) Do I need to worry about ground beef at all?4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j on martin's potato bread, store bought vs. homemade.. I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new to this,thanks,Sally

Yahoo! Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

Sally - my child has always been a very picky eater also. Completely unwilling to put anything new/ different in his mouth. We also tried to replace what he liked with GF alternatives. A few suggestions from my Jake to your Mattie: pretzels - ener-g; potato chips - try Lays Stacks; Bread - En er-g tapioca or white rice bread (both need to be toasted first) and whole foods makes a good "sandwich bread" (it's yellow, so haven't convinced Jake to try it yet); Spag. O's - try tinkyada white rice spag. with tomato sauce mixed with a little milk (it took a while for Jake to try the different shape). As a note of encouragement, after about 6 weeks on a GF diet, Jake started to try new things. Hope this is the case for you. Good Luck, Kerri sallyjd2001 wrote: Hi,I am Sally, mom to (Mattie) 6 1/2 who was just diagnosed with Celiac through biopsy. Unfortunately, Mattie has always had many sensory issues regarding food (Mattie is also special needs)So... many of the things he likes to eat have gluten in them and he doesn't eat typical stuff that doesn't have gluten like fruits and vegetables. We are hoping that this is the perfect opportunity to introduce natural gluten free foods back into his diet but think this will take awhile! So.. our big concern is that he will have a really rough time at first and I am hoping all of the experts in this group can help us out. His only symptom we noticed was delayed growth. So here are a few questions that I am sure many people have asked so I am sorry to do it again.1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish cracker type that is gluten free out there? what

about regular potato chips?2) What about something similar to spaghettios?3) Do I need to worry about ground beef at all?4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j on martin's potato bread, store bought vs. homemade.. I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new to this,thanks,Sally

Yahoo! Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

Guest guest

HI Sally, we are going on about 8 weeks now on the GF diet for my son--very tiny 8 year old. Each meal had been a battle for the longest time cuz this kid has been a virtual gluten addict and is sooo picky. He only ate/liked about 8 things anyhow. Our new rule is eat what is on your plate, then you get a snack/dessert. It has been a royal battle and he has virtually been starving himself. With a lot of tough disciplinary measures, we have finally broken through the stubbornness and he understands the rule and that starving himself is not tolerated. Now he actually has acquired a taste for several new foods and he is no longer starving himself. Gosh this kid lost a lot of weight, but after finally eating his meal--sometimes 45 minutes later, which I think, in retrospect was too long to have him sit and fuss--he gets a hearty bowl of vanilla ice-cream and he's starting putting some more meat on his bones. So my point is persevere, if you can stand the battle, and you will have a healthier child in the long run.

PS glutenfreemall.com has great g/f pretzels by Glutano

Ground beef is fine. We make g/f meatloaf & meatballs with g/f breadcrumbs from the above mentioned site.

We buy white rice bread, which crumbles, but is tasty at Henry's market. It's in the frozen section.

Hi,I am Sally, mom to (Mattie) 6 1/2 who was just diagnosed with Celiac through biopsy. Unfortunately, Mattie has always had many sensory issues regarding food (Mattie is also special needs)So... many of the things he likes to eat have gluten in them and he doesn't eat typical stuff that doesn't have gluten like fruits and vegetables. We are hoping that this is the perfect opportunity to introduce natural gluten free foods back into his diet but think this will take awhile! So.. our big concern is that he will have a really rough time at first and I am hoping all of the experts in this group can help us out. His only symptom we noticed was delayed growth. So here are a few questions that I am sure many people have asked so I am sorry to do it again.1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish cracker type that is gluten free out there? what about regular potato chips?2) What about something similar to spaghettios?3) Do I need to worry about ground beef at all?4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j on martin's potato bread, store bought vs. homemade.. I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new to this,thanks,Sally

Yahoo! PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

HI Sally, we are going on about 8 weeks now on the GF diet for my son--very tiny 8 year old. Each meal had been a battle for the longest time cuz this kid has been a virtual gluten addict and is sooo picky. He only ate/liked about 8 things anyhow. Our new rule is eat what is on your plate, then you get a snack/dessert. It has been a royal battle and he has virtually been starving himself. With a lot of tough disciplinary measures, we have finally broken through the stubbornness and he understands the rule and that starving himself is not tolerated. Now he actually has acquired a taste for several new foods and he is no longer starving himself. Gosh this kid lost a lot of weight, but after finally eating his meal--sometimes 45 minutes later, which I think, in retrospect was too long to have him sit and fuss--he gets a hearty bowl of vanilla ice-cream and he's starting putting some more meat on his bones. So my point is persevere, if you can stand the battle, and you will have a healthier child in the long run.

PS glutenfreemall.com has great g/f pretzels by Glutano

Ground beef is fine. We make g/f meatloaf & meatballs with g/f breadcrumbs from the above mentioned site.

We buy white rice bread, which crumbles, but is tasty at Henry's market. It's in the frozen section.

Hi,I am Sally, mom to (Mattie) 6 1/2 who was just diagnosed with Celiac through biopsy. Unfortunately, Mattie has always had many sensory issues regarding food (Mattie is also special needs)So... many of the things he likes to eat have gluten in them and he doesn't eat typical stuff that doesn't have gluten like fruits and vegetables. We are hoping that this is the perfect opportunity to introduce natural gluten free foods back into his diet but think this will take awhile! So.. our big concern is that he will have a really rough time at first and I am hoping all of the experts in this group can help us out. His only symptom we noticed was delayed growth. So here are a few questions that I am sure many people have asked so I am sorry to do it again.1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish cracker type that is gluten free out there? what about regular potato chips?2) What about something similar to spaghettios?3) Do I need to worry about ground beef at all?4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j on martin's potato bread, store bought vs. homemade.. I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new to this,thanks,Sally

Yahoo! PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

Hi Sally,

Welcome here! I’m brand new also,

one week gf and dragging my own sensory-problem child along with me. (He’s

too needle-phobic to deal with the blood test—said he’d diagnose by

diet…) I’ve wondered if SI kids with food as a main issue would be “healed”

of that problem on a gluten free diet. I hope he does start eating other things

as his body lets go of the gluten addiction. Has anyone mentioned that he might

be very sleepy, even flu-ey for the first week? It surprised me, but it makes

sense.

I’m glad the OT at SI

clinic posted. (are you at OTA Watertown?) there’s a children’s

nutritionist who does great things with kids like Mattie but I can’t

remember her name. I can look it up if you don’t know and if Sally wants

it.

Sally, have you done Occupational Therapy

to target eating sensitivity? There might be a lot of help there.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

From: SillyYaks [mailto:SillyYaks ] On Behalf Of sallyjd2001

Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006

8:24 PM

To: SillyYaks

Subject: new member,

some quick questions

Hi,

I am Sally, mom to (Mattie) 6 1/2 who was

just diagnosed with

Celiac through biopsy. Unfortunately, Mattie

has always had many

sensory issues regarding food (Mattie is also

special needs)So...

many of the things he likes to eat have gluten in

them and he doesn't

eat typical stuff that doesn't have gluten like

fruits and

vegetables. We are hoping that this is the

perfect opportunity to

introduce natural gluten free foods back into his

diet but think this

will take awhile!

So.. our big concern is that he will have a really

rough time at

first and I am hoping all of the experts in this

group can help us

out. His only symptom we noticed was

delayed growth. So here are a

few questions that I am sure many people have

asked so I am sorry to

do it again.

1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish

cracker type that is

gluten free out there? what about regular

potato chips?

2) What about something similar to

spaghettios?

3) Do I need to worry about ground

beef at all?

4) Is there a tasty white bread out

there? His staple was pb & j on

martin's potato bread, store bought vs. homemade..

I guess that's it for now, please excuse my

ignorance, brand new to

this,

thanks,

Sally

Guest guest

I work with SI kids in Dallas, TX at a private clinic. I have a new-found respect (although I already had plenty !!!!!!!!!!!!!) for those parents having to do the gluten-free thing now that I am having to do it myself. When I first became an OT I didn't even know what gluten was :) Now, I wish a lot of my patients would try a gluten-free diet.

jennifer

Guest guest

I work with SI kids in Dallas, TX at a private clinic. I have a new-found respect (although I already had plenty !!!!!!!!!!!!!) for those parents having to do the gluten-free thing now that I am having to do it myself. When I first became an OT I didn't even know what gluten was :) Now, I wish a lot of my patients would try a gluten-free diet.

jennifer

Guest guest

jennifer

Guest guest

Hi Sally,

My little guy is almost 6 and has been gluten and casein (dairy)

free for 2+yrs due to ASD. He clearly has benefited greatly from

this diet. I would recommend not trying to sub his favorites

because the tastes will not be the same,give him time to forget the

flavor a bit and in a week even you may be able to try it and have a

success. My guy surprised me. He used to live on dairy and gluten!

Literally everything he ate contained one of those and he only would

eat certain textures and white things... so we have a self limiting

sensory toddler who adjusted. slowly start with something of the

texture that he's fond of. My guy loves crunchy things so fritos

were a first for us. No not healthy and if i had to do it over

again i would try nuts first if you can. My guy eats no meat at all

so protein is an issue for me. Soy if tolerated helps with the

substitutions and also is a good protein source. I introduced

fruits that were white. Grapes, banana pear etc... I really went on

the paths he was showing me and tried to build on those. i had lots

of failures too but did eat and now loves rice, as much as he

loved wheat... Dairy is tough but doesn't sound like you are goin

there yet. There are lots of kid friendly snacks and candies,

baking is very helpful for school lunches and thinking of " whole "

foods makes the gluten thing easier. Boy this is long sorry. KEEP

A LOG!!!! You will be so happy you did. you will retry items and

find new ones, it helps me when i get in a rut and if i see sensory

stuff coming back or new behaviors appearing. Lots of others have

given you great info i'll just add about the hamburger that some of

the preformed hamburgers you should read the lablels carefully or

call first. My girlfriend had an issue with these but i don't know

the brand. HTH

> Hi,

>

> I am Sally, mom to (Mattie) 6 1/2 who was just diagnosed

with

> Celiac through biopsy. Unfortunately, Mattie has always had many

> sensory issues regarding food (Mattie is also speHcial needs)So...

> many of the things he likes to eat have gluten in them and he

doesn't

> eat typical stuff that doesn't have gluten like fruits and

> vegetables. We are hoping that this is the perfect opportunity to

> introduce natural gluten free foods back into his diet but think

this

> will take awhile!

>

> So.. our big concern is that he will have a really rough time at

> first and I am hoping all of the experts in this group can help us

> out. His only symptom we noticed was delayed growth. So here

are a

> few questions that I am sure many people have asked so I am sorry

to

> do it again.

>

> 1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish cracker type that is

> gluten free out there? what about regular potato chips?

> 2) What about something similar to spaghettios?

> 3) Do I need to worry about ground beef at all?

> 4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j

on

> martin's potato bread, store bought vs. homemade..

>

> I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new

to

> this,

>

> thanks,

>

> Sally

Guest guest

Sally,

I don't remember if anyone wrote about Tings yet, but they saved us for

the first few weeks. They are cheetos tasting things that are very

good. We were a gold fish and yogurt family and the first months

were challenging. I tried to sub all my daughter's fave foods and

it was a huge failure. It made me a basket case (all I was doing

was scouring the internet for recipes and cooking) and my daughter very

sad (she missed her fave foods even more when I was trying to put

impostor foods in their place). It took a little while for my girl

to broaden her horizons as far as what she eats but she's like a

different kid. She will eat chicken, steak, fish, and will try one

bite of anything. This is the same kid who used to tell me she was

going to faint if I made her do more than lick a piece of chicken!

So, hang in there and give yourself a chance to adjust too. When

you are ready to bake, there are some delicious recipes that have floated

around this list.

Good luck!

Guest guest

Sally,

around this list.

Good luck!

Guest guest

Sally,

around this list.

Good luck!

Guest guest

Hi Sally,

There are a couple of kinds of pretzels that you can get at

glutenfreemall.com or allergygrocer.com (Ener-g, glutino, glutano).

I just get the ener-g because I can find it in a local grocery store,

and they are pretty good. It just depends on which he will be okay

with.

At allergygrocer.com Mrs. Robens also has a mock goldfish cracker

mix, but I have never tried it personally. There is a recipe in the

Silly Yaks recipe/snack file for goldfish crackers that also lists

where to find the little fish cut out if shape is an issue.

I have had good luck with most regular potato chips, just be careful

of the flavored ones and read carefully.

Glutenfreemall.com also has animal shaped pasta that might be as

intriguing as spagettios.

As far as bread, I have never baked my own, but of the prepared

variety the best I've found is Whole Food's Sandwich Bread. I think

it is the closest to taste and texture of " real " bread (and it still

needs to be toasted or microwaved). They have other kinds of bread

which are also good, but maybe not for kids.

Good Luck to you both.

Lori in ATL

>

> 4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j on

>

> I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new to

> this,

>

> thanks,

>

> Sally

>

Guest guest

Hi Sally,

There are a couple of kinds of pretzels that you can get at

glutenfreemall.com or allergygrocer.com (Ener-g, glutino, glutano).

I just get the ener-g because I can find it in a local grocery store,

and they are pretty good. It just depends on which he will be okay

with.

At allergygrocer.com Mrs. Robens also has a mock goldfish cracker

mix, but I have never tried it personally. There is a recipe in the

Silly Yaks recipe/snack file for goldfish crackers that also lists

where to find the little fish cut out if shape is an issue.

I have had good luck with most regular potato chips, just be careful

of the flavored ones and read carefully.

Glutenfreemall.com also has animal shaped pasta that might be as

intriguing as spagettios.

As far as bread, I have never baked my own, but of the prepared

variety the best I've found is Whole Food's Sandwich Bread. I think

it is the closest to taste and texture of " real " bread (and it still

needs to be toasted or microwaved). They have other kinds of bread

which are also good, but maybe not for kids.

Good Luck to you both.

Lori in ATL

>

> 4) Is there a tasty white bread out there? His staple was pb & j on

>

> I guess that's it for now, please excuse my ignorance, brand new to

> this,

>

> thanks,

>

> Sally

>

Guest guest

I agree, the fishsticks are really good ( I try to feed my inner child

at least once a week with something nutritionally bankrupt). I tried

the chicken nuggets too and ewwww. They were very dry and I wasn't

really sure there was chicken in there, more like shredded and pressed

cardboard. I was disappointed because I was really craving chicken

nuggets at the time and these weren't even close. I'm going back for

more fish, though just in case I can't find them in the future.

Lori in ATL

> Another kid friendly thing that I like... Ians has breaded chicken

> (which i haven't had) and also breaded fish filets that are gluten

free

> and IMO super yummy. Also super expensive. Make sure you get the

gluten

> free varieties, as they have gluten ones too.

>

>

Guest guest

Lori in ATL

free

gluten

>

>

Guest guest

Lori in ATL

free

gluten

>

>

Guest guest

The nutritionist is Dorfman—Here’s

a link to a program she’s presenting at OTA in Watertown, MA.

http://www.thespiralfoundation.org/courses.html

She also seems to have a website, but I couldn’t get it open:

www.kellydorfman.com Maybe it’s

just my connection today.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

From: SillyYaks [mailto:SillyYaks ] On Behalf Of Laurie Bilyeu

Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006

12:32 AM

Subject: RE: new

member, some quick questions

Hi Sally,

one week gf and dragging my own sensory-problem child along with me.

(He’s too needle-phobic to deal with the blood test—said he’d

diagnose by diet…) I’ve wondered if SI kids with food as a main

issue would be “healed” of that problem on a gluten free diet. I

hope he does start eating other things as his body lets go of the gluten

addiction. Has anyone mentioned that he might be very sleepy, even flu-ey for

the first week? It surprised me, but it makes sense.

I’m glad the OT at SI

clinic posted. (are you at OTA Watertown?) there’s a

children’s nutritionist who does great things with kids like Mattie but I

can’t remember her name. I can look it up if you don’t know and if

Sally wants it.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

some quick questions

Hi,

just diagnosed with

has always had many

special needs)So...

them and he doesn't

fruits and

perfect opportunity to

diet but think this

will take awhile!

rough time at

group can help us

asked so I am sorry to

do it again.

cracker type that is

potato chips?

spaghettios?

beef at all?

ignorance, brand new to

this,

thanks,

Sally

Guest guest

The nutritionist is Dorfman—Here’s

a link to a program she’s presenting at OTA in Watertown, MA.

http://www.thespiralfoundation.org/courses.html

www.kellydorfman.com Maybe it’s

just my connection today.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

Hi Sally,

I’m glad the OT at SI

Sally wants it.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

some quick questions

Hi,

just diagnosed with

has always had many

special needs)So...

them and he doesn't

fruits and

perfect opportunity to

diet but think this

will take awhile!

rough time at

group can help us

asked so I am sorry to

do it again.

cracker type that is

potato chips?

spaghettios?

beef at all?

ignorance, brand new to

this,

thanks,

Sally

Guest guest

Are you guys from the Boston area? I need a good GI. My last one

diagnosed my ASAP but she has no heart and every time that I go to her asking

for help (because the diet still isn’t working and I’ve been on it

STRICTLY for a year), she tries to put me on pills for depression. I keep

trying to explain to her that the only reason I’m depressed is that she

refuses to set me up for more testing, like food allergy testing. Everything

that I suggest to her is just swatted away. I even asked about testing me for

fibromyalgia and she said it’s not necessary. When I told her that my

stomach still hurts a lot, she told me that that’s life and that I should

just get used to it. Any suggestions on a good doc?

Thanks so much,

Kristy

SillyYaks [mailto:SillyYaks ] On Behalf Of Laurie Bilyeu

11:00 AM

The nutritionist is

Dorfman—Here’s a link to a program she’s presenting at OTA in

Watertown, MA. http://www.thespiralfoundation.org/courses.html

www.kellydorfman.com Maybe

it’s just my connection today.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

Hi Sally,

I’m glad the OT at SI

Sally wants it.

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

some quick questions

Hi,

just diagnosed with

has always had many

special needs)So...

them and he doesn't

fruits and

perfect opportunity to

diet but think this

will take awhile!

rough time at

group can help us

asked so I am sorry to

do it again.

1) Is there any type of pretzel or goldfish cracker

type that is

potato chips?

spaghettios?

beef at all?

ignorance, brand new to

this,

thanks,

Sally

Guest guest

I’m so glad there is a clinic in Dallas! I am having

trouble restraining myself since my own dx. I’m quite sure that every

problem everyone around me mentions would be cured by a gluten-free diet! When I

learn how to walk the line between offering helpful information and being a

busy-body, I hope I’ll be able to help others find health also.

You’ll be a great resource for your

gf parents now! They’re lucky to have you there. Clinics are places

parents expect to have their assumptions challenged (a little bit).

Laurie

lbilyeu@...

From: SillyYaks [mailto:SillyYaks ] On Behalf Of Jennife813@...

11:04 AM

Subject: Re: new

I work with SI kids in Dallas,

TX at a private clinic. I have a

new-found respect (although I already had plenty !!!!!!!!!!!!!) for those

parents having to do the gluten-free thing now that I am having to do it

myself. When I first became an OT I didn't even know what gluten was :) Now, I

wish a lot of my patients would try a gluten-free diet.

jennifer