RemedySpot.com

Re: Levothyroxine side-effects

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes, Steve, I noticed aches and pains in my feet and knees and back but didn't realise it was anything to do with the Thyroxene until very recently. Love Chris

levothyroxine side-effects

I've been taking a very low "starter" dose of levothyroxinefor a couple of months now and have noticed some aches andpains in my knees and back that weren't there before. Hasanyone experienced anything similar?---Steve ____________________________________________________Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Yes, Steve, I noticed aches and pains in my feet and knees and back but didn't realise it was anything to do with the Thyroxene until very recently. Love Chris

I've been taking a very low "starter" dose of levothyroxinefor a couple of months now and have noticed some aches andpains in my knees and back that weren't there before. Hasanyone experienced anything similar?---Steve ____________________________________________________Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

you mention low dose.. how low a dose and for how long?

Aches and pains can also be from insufficient hormone... getting too small a dose. What did your last labs look like? Also, what is your diagnosis, your reason for being hypo and needing replacement hormone?

My aches and pains continually increased for over a decade cuz my dose of synthetic was too low for me. When I switched to natural thyroid (a generic of Armour) my pains started to less... today they are pretty much gone. I still have my bad days, but then everyone has a bad day, but I don't have the chronic day in day out pain that I had for years.

A good first start to seeing if it's because your dose is too low is to get a look at your labs...and finding out your diagnosis along with how you feel.... Labs aren't the last word on how you are feeling, but they give some pretty strong clues as to what is going on with you and what might be causing that pain...

I'm one that doesn't do well on the synthetics, even tried most all of the brands that are available, but they just don't do it for me.

Topper ()

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:20:58 -0700 (PDT) Steve Crocker writes:

I've been taking a very low "starter" dose of levothyroxinefor a couple of months now and have noticed some aches andpains in my knees and back that weren't there before. Hasanyone experienced anything similar?---Steve

, it was Steve who said he was on a low dose. I'm on 125mg a day (have no idea if that is low or not!) and as for labs - my doctor has told me nothing apart from so far the 125 mgs was the right amount. I know I sound incredibly stupid here, and if it was something that the vet was telling me about my cats I would be demanding to know all the results and be researching into it, so things are about to change! I'm loking forward to coming back to the group with some results from tests, rather than'the doctor said that was the right dose'! LOL!

Love Chris

Aches and pains can also be from insufficient hormone... getting too small a dose. What did your last labs look like? Also, what is your diagnosis, your reason for being hypo and needing replacement hormone?

My aches and pains continually increased for over a decade cuz my dose of synthetic was too low for me. When I switched to natural thyroid (a generic of Armour) my pains started to less... today they are pretty much gone. I still have my bad days, but then everyone has a bad day, but I don't have the chronic day in day out pain that I had for years.

A good first start to seeing if it's because your dose is too low is to get a look at your labs...and finding out your diagnosis along with how you feel.... Labs aren't the last word on how you are feeling, but they give some pretty strong clues as to what is going on with you and what might be causing that pain...

I'm one that doesn't do well on the synthetics, even tried most all of the brands that are available, but they just don't do it for me.

Topper ()

I've been taking a very low "starter" dose of levothyroxinefor a couple of months now and have noticed some aches andpains in my knees and back that weren't there before. Hasanyone experienced anything similar?---Steve

, it was Steve who said he was on a low dose. I'm on 125mg a day (have no idea if that is low or not!) and as for labs - my doctor has told me nothing apart from so far the 125 mgs was the right amount. I know I sound incredibly stupid here, and if it was something that the vet was telling me about my cats I would be demanding to know all the results and be researching into it, so things are about to change! I'm loking forward to coming back to the group with some results from tests, rather than'the doctor said that was the right dose'! LOL!

Love Chris

Topper ()

Sorry for the mix up, I'll just blame goofing the names on brain fog!!! heheheheh

It's funny, the analogy I often use has to do with car repairs... not many of us would take a car in for repairs after it breaks down and strands us and settles for the mechanic saying that all it needed was an oil change or air in the tires, yet so many of us, me included, go in with symptoms that are troubling us, and sometimes enough to be noticed by others and then the doc says that it's no big deal, nothing important or blames it on poor diet or over weight and we just walk right out the door thinking that we are lucky it wasn't anything serious.

I, for one, won't settle for that any more... All the problems that I ended up with were from low dose synthetics and docs that didn't seem to think it meant anything when my health continued to deteriorate year after year....

We need to stand up for ourselves with as much fervor as we would for our car, or pet, or child.... We can't help anyone else, take care of anyone else, love anyone... unless we're alive enough to do so, right??

Having a doc test only the TSH is soooo wrong. TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) only tells how much the body is screaming for hormone, but now the research is showing more and more that it's not that accurate. It's rise and fall are much slower than the body's reactions AND for some the TSH doesn't every really tell what is going... you need to know what the thyroid hormone levels are, and learn to interpret what those levels mean.

Such a very basic thing but the docs are so brainwashed by the pharmaceutical companies that there is an easy way out (TSH) and don't realize that easy isn't always better.

Topper ()

in Minnesota, USA

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:50:39 +0100 "" writes:

Love Chris

You're absolutely right . I can't believe that I was so DENSE about this! Other people were noticing how I was struggling with stairs and getting up from a chair etc. and walking slowly with difficulty, and I just kept thinking perhaps it was the heart problems (only been diagnosed for about a year) and it was only when someone mentioned on a cat breeding group about low thyroid that the penny dropped! I've been saying for a while that I'm 55 and feel more like a 95 year old in poor health but I never gave it a thought it could be down to thyroid! Oh believe me, I'm not going to sit quietly while the doctor tells me that it's all fine now (and neither will my husband who will be coming with me:-)))) I am SO grateful to this group! Love Chris

Sorry for the mix up, I'll just blame goofing the names on brain fog!!! heheheheh

It's funny, the analogy I often use has to do with car repairs... not many of us would take a car in for repairs after it breaks down and strands us and settles for the mechanic saying that all it needed was an oil change or air in the tires, yet so many of us, me included, go in with symptoms that are troubling us, and sometimes enough to be noticed by others and then the doc says that it's no big deal, nothing important or blames it on poor diet or over weight and we just walk right out the door thinking that we are lucky it wasn't anything serious.

I, for one, won't settle for that any more... All the problems that I ended up with were from low dose synthetics and docs that didn't seem to think it meant anything when my health continued to deteriorate year after year....

We need to stand up for ourselves with as much fervor as we would for our car, or pet, or child.... We can't help anyone else, take care of anyone else, love anyone... unless we're alive enough to do so, right??

Having a doc test only the TSH is soooo wrong. TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) only tells how much the body is screaming for hormone, but now the research is showing more and more that it's not that accurate. It's rise and fall are much slower than the body's reactions AND for some the TSH doesn't every really tell what is going... you need to know what the thyroid hormone levels are, and learn to interpret what those levels mean.

Such a very basic thing but the docs are so brainwashed by the pharmaceutical companies that there is an easy way out (TSH) and don't realize that easy isn't always better.

Topper ()

in Minnesota, USA

You're absolutely right . I can't believe that I was so DENSE about this! Other people were noticing how I was struggling with stairs and getting up from a chair etc. and walking slowly with difficulty, and I just kept thinking perhaps it was the heart problems (only been diagnosed for about a year) and it was only when someone mentioned on a cat breeding group about low thyroid that the penny dropped! I've been saying for a while that I'm 55 and feel more like a 95 year old in poor health but I never gave it a thought it could be down to thyroid! Oh believe me, I'm not going to sit quietly while the doctor tells me that it's all fine now (and neither will my husband who will be coming with me:-)))) I am SO grateful to this group! Love Chris

Topper ()

in Minnesota, USA

Topper ()

in Minnesota, USA

Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't notice changes in myself either, it was my boss that brought it to my attention. I was hyper and had been since puberty but no one ever really noticed anything, it's just always how I had been... Not long after starting a new job I walked through the office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A couple of weeks later he said that he'd ordered me new uniforms and that they were in the break room. I went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I said that there was no way that they would fit. I was a weight lifter and had held the exact same weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way could I have gone down two sizes in so short a period of time. I went to the bathroom to try one on, so that he could send them back right away. Now only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had me starting to question things.... I didn't even notice.

Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off. Symptoms like dropping 40 pounds in 30 days was okay with him, he felt that (as said to me and put on my chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.

Ten months later with symptom that had escalated to the point where it was affecting my job, I was back at the doc, this time an orthopedist that diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes... Thyroid Storm. She had blood drawn to confirm, but had me at the hospital in a matter of hours. I was given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.

Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know it....

It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to say, changes in our bodies that are so subtle from day to day that we don't notice...but others do. It takes someone that cares.

heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I was a money courier and part of the reason that I was hired (besides my ethics - long story there) was the way that I carried myself and my stature... then in just a couple of months of starting I start shrinking!!! hehehehehe

It's funny... you begin to realize something is wrong and once it comes to your attention it becomes so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and you, well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said that I was just fine, so I have to be, right? Well... without getting into the whole long story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my symptoms and went back to the doc I have stopped sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and barely maintaining my weight...but nothing was wrong with me.. the doc said so.....

What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way..... if you know it's not right and the doc says it is... find another doc.....

Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you know it's wrong....

Topper ()

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:44 +0100 "" writes:

Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't notice changes in myself either, it was my boss that brought it to my attention. I was hyper and had been since puberty but no one ever really noticed anything, it's just always how I had been... Not long after starting a new job I walked through the office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A couple of weeks later he said that he'd ordered me new uniforms and that they were in the break room. I went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I said that there was no way that they would fit. I was a weight lifter and had held the exact same weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way could I have gone down two sizes in so short a period of time. I went to the bathroom to try one on, so that he could send them back right away. Now only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had me starting to question things.... I didn't even notice.

Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off. Symptoms like dropping 40 pounds in 30 days was okay with him, he felt that (as said to me and put on my chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.

Ten months later with symptom that had escalated to the point where it was affecting my job, I was back at the doc, this time an orthopedist that diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes... Thyroid Storm. She had blood drawn to confirm, but had me at the hospital in a matter of hours. I was given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.

It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to say, changes in our bodies that are so subtle from day to day that we don't notice...but others do. It takes someone that cares.

heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I was a money courier and part of the reason that I was hired (besides my ethics - long story there) was the way that I carried myself and my stature... then in just a couple of months of starting I start shrinking!!! hehehehehe

It's funny... you begin to realize something is wrong and once it comes to your attention it becomes so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and you, well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said that I was just fine, so I have to be, right? Well... without getting into the whole long story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my symptoms and went back to the doc I have stopped sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and barely maintaining my weight...but nothing was wrong with me.. the doc said so.....

What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way..... if you know it's not right and the doc says it is... find another doc.....

Topper ()

Topper ()

, that's amazing - for the weight to be dropping off you like that! Thank goodness you found a doctor who recognised what was happening!

My wait was gaining like that - a quarter of a stone every few weeks, despite dieting. My doctor gave me a copy of the Atkins Diet book and told me to try that:-))) I've gained four stone in a couple of years or so and it's still going up. (I was about 11 stone when it started, so four stone is quite a lot). I'm wondering about all sorts of things now that could be linked to it - history of miscarriages, heavy periods, tiredness for many years before the other symptoms started, puffy, sore dry eyes with blurry vision, yawning all the time, anxiety, depression, pain in the feet and legs, skin discolouration on my neck, and thinking as though I'm in a fog (thought I must have alzheimers), memory appalling, and, my mother was on Thyroxene before I was born (diabetic as well - is there a link there?). Is there a link to thyroid problems and angina? I think my husband just thought I'd been feeling 'lazy' for the past few years but he's very supportive now so I know he'll be pushing for me to get things sorted.

Sorry if I'm rambling here, but I'm just beginning to feel as though everything is coming together suddenly! It's quite a shock LOL! Can all the symptoms be reversed to some extent if the medication is right? Love Chris

Topper ()

, that's amazing - for the weight to be dropping off you like that! Thank goodness you found a doctor who recognised what was happening!

My wait was gaining like that - a quarter of a stone every few weeks, despite dieting. My doctor gave me a copy of the Atkins Diet book and told me to try that:-))) I've gained four stone in a couple of years or so and it's still going up. (I was about 11 stone when it started, so four stone is quite a lot). I'm wondering about all sorts of things now that could be linked to it - history of miscarriages, heavy periods, tiredness for many years before the other symptoms started, puffy, sore dry eyes with blurry vision, yawning all the time, anxiety, depression, pain in the feet and legs, skin discolouration on my neck, and thinking as though I'm in a fog (thought I must have alzheimers), memory appalling, and, my mother was on Thyroxene before I was born (diabetic as well - is there a link there?). Is there a link to thyroid problems and angina? I think my husband just thought I'd been feeling 'lazy' for the past few years but he's very supportive now so I know he'll be pushing for me to get things sorted.

Sorry if I'm rambling here, but I'm just beginning to feel as though everything is coming together suddenly! It's quite a shock LOL! Can all the symptoms be reversed to some extent if the medication is right? Love Chris

Topper ()

Hi

Yes, all of the symptoms you mentioned could

definitely be due to low thyroid (although I'm not

familiar with whether angina is related but it could

be) so getting on the proper kind and dose for your

body will probably due wonders. Some have concomitant

low adrenals which compicates treatment, but those who

have simple low thyroid usually feel much better

pretty quickly! I'm so happy for you to have made the

connection! Also, yes hypothyroidism is extremely

genetic and unlike other genetic diseases, it's hard

to avoid even if you live an extremely healthy

lifestyle.

Marlena

---

wrote:

> , that's amazing - for the weight to be

> dropping off you like that! Thank goodness you

> found a doctor who recognised what was happening!

>

> My wait was gaining like that - a quarter of a stone

> every few weeks, despite dieting. My doctor gave me

> a copy of the Atkins Diet book and told me to try

> that:-))) I've gained four stone in a couple of

> years or so and it's still going up. (I was about

> 11 stone when it started, so four stone is quite a

> lot). I'm wondering about all sorts of things now

> that could be linked to it - history of

> miscarriages, heavy periods, tiredness for many

> years before the other symptoms started, puffy, sore

> dry eyes with blurry vision, yawning all the time,

> anxiety, depression, pain in the feet and legs, skin

> discolouration on my neck, and thinking as though

> I'm in a fog (thought I must have alzheimers),

> memory appalling, and, my mother was on Thyroxene

> before I was born (diabetic as well - is there a

> link there?). Is there a link to thyroid problems

> and angina? I think my husband just thought I'd

> been feeling 'lazy' for the past few years but he's

> very supportive now so I know he'll be pushing for

> me to get things sorted.

>

> Sorry if I'm rambling here, but I'm just beginning

> to feel as though everything is coming together

> suddenly! It's quite a shock LOL! Can all the

> symptoms be reversed to some extent if the

> medication is right? Love Chris

> Re:

> Levothyroxine side-effects

>

>

> Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't

> notice changes in myself either, it was my boss that

> brought it to my attention. I was hyper and had been

> since puberty but no one ever really noticed

> anything, it's just always how I had been... Not

> long after starting a new job I walked through the

> office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I

> was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A

> couple of weeks later he said that he'd ordered me

> new uniforms and that they were in the break room. I

> went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I

> said that there was no way that they would fit. I

> was a weight lifter and had held the exact same

> weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way

> could I have gone down two sizes in so short a

> period of time. I went to the bathroom to try one

> on, so that he could send them back right away. Now

> only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had

> me starting to question things.... I didn't even

> notice.

>

> Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off.

> Symptoms like dropping 40 pounds in 30 days was okay

> with him, he felt that (as said to me and put on my

> chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.

>

> Ten months later with symptom that had escalated

> to the point where it was affecting my job, I was

> back at the doc, this time an orthopedist that

> diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes...

> Thyroid Storm. She had blood drawn to confirm, but

> had me at the hospital in a matter of hours. I was

> given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.

>

> Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know

> it....

>

> It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to

> say, changes in our bodies that are so subtle from

> day to day that we don't notice...but others do. It

> takes someone that cares.

>

> heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I

> was a money courier and part of the reason that I

> was hired (besides my ethics - long story there) was

> the way that I carried myself and my stature... then

> in just a couple of months of starting I start

> shrinking!!! hehehehehe

>

> It's funny... you begin to realize something is

> wrong and once it comes to your attention it becomes

> so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and you,

> well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said

> that I was just fine, so I have to be, right?

> Well... without getting into the whole long

> story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my

> symptoms and went back to the doc I have stopped

> sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was

> eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and

> barely maintaining my weight...but nothing was wrong

> with me.. the doc said so.....

>

> What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way.....

> if you know it's not right and the doc says it is...

> find another doc.....

>

> Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you

> know it's wrong....

>

> Topper ()

>

>

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile

Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Hi

Yes, all of the symptoms you mentioned could

definitely be due to low thyroid (although I'm not

familiar with whether angina is related but it could

be) so getting on the proper kind and dose for your

body will probably due wonders. Some have concomitant

low adrenals which compicates treatment, but those who

have simple low thyroid usually feel much better

pretty quickly! I'm so happy for you to have made the

connection! Also, yes hypothyroidism is extremely

genetic and unlike other genetic diseases, it's hard

to avoid even if you live an extremely healthy

lifestyle.

Marlena

---

wrote:

> , that's amazing - for the weight to be

> dropping off you like that! Thank goodness you

> found a doctor who recognised what was happening!

>

> My wait was gaining like that - a quarter of a stone

> every few weeks, despite dieting. My doctor gave me

> a copy of the Atkins Diet book and told me to try

> that:-))) I've gained four stone in a couple of

> years or so and it's still going up. (I was about

> 11 stone when it started, so four stone is quite a

> lot). I'm wondering about all sorts of things now

> that could be linked to it - history of

> miscarriages, heavy periods, tiredness for many

> years before the other symptoms started, puffy, sore

> dry eyes with blurry vision, yawning all the time,

> anxiety, depression, pain in the feet and legs, skin

> discolouration on my neck, and thinking as though

> I'm in a fog (thought I must have alzheimers),

> memory appalling, and, my mother was on Thyroxene

> before I was born (diabetic as well - is there a

> link there?). Is there a link to thyroid problems

> and angina? I think my husband just thought I'd

> been feeling 'lazy' for the past few years but he's

> very supportive now so I know he'll be pushing for

> me to get things sorted.

>

> Sorry if I'm rambling here, but I'm just beginning

> to feel as though everything is coming together

> suddenly! It's quite a shock LOL! Can all the

> symptoms be reversed to some extent if the

> medication is right? Love Chris

> Re:

> Levothyroxine side-effects

>

>

> Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't

> notice changes in myself either, it was my boss that

> brought it to my attention. I was hyper and had been

> since puberty but no one ever really noticed

> anything, it's just always how I had been... Not

> long after starting a new job I walked through the

> office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I

> was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A

> couple of weeks later he said that he'd ordered me

> new uniforms and that they were in the break room. I

> went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I

> said that there was no way that they would fit. I

> was a weight lifter and had held the exact same

> weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way

> could I have gone down two sizes in so short a

> period of time. I went to the bathroom to try one

> on, so that he could send them back right away. Now

> only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had

> me starting to question things.... I didn't even

> notice.

>

> Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off.

> Symptoms like dropping 40 pounds in 30 days was okay

> with him, he felt that (as said to me and put on my

> chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.

>

> Ten months later with symptom that had escalated

> to the point where it was affecting my job, I was

> back at the doc, this time an orthopedist that

> diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes...

> Thyroid Storm. She had blood drawn to confirm, but

> had me at the hospital in a matter of hours. I was

> given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.

>

> Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know

> it....

>

> It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to

> say, changes in our bodies that are so subtle from

> day to day that we don't notice...but others do. It

> takes someone that cares.

>

> heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I

> was a money courier and part of the reason that I

> was hired (besides my ethics - long story there) was

> the way that I carried myself and my stature... then

> in just a couple of months of starting I start

> shrinking!!! hehehehehe

>

> It's funny... you begin to realize something is

> wrong and once it comes to your attention it becomes

> so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and you,

> well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said

> that I was just fine, so I have to be, right?

> Well... without getting into the whole long

> story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my

> symptoms and went back to the doc I have stopped

> sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was

> eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and

> barely maintaining my weight...but nothing was wrong

> with me.. the doc said so.....

>

> What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way.....

> if you know it's not right and the doc says it is...

> find another doc.....

>

> Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you

> know it's wrong....

>

> Topper ()

>

>

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile

Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Honestly, I feel so elated, I could celebrate!!!! Suddenly there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel that I NEVER thought I'd see! I so hope that in time I might be an encouragement to others as you have on this group to me! Love Chris

Re: > Levothyroxine side-effects> > > Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't> notice changes in myself either, it was my boss that> brought it to my attention. I was hyper and had been> since puberty but no one ever really noticed> anything, it's just always how I had been... Not> long after starting a new job I walked through the> office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I> was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A> couple of weeks later he said that he'd ordered me> new uniforms and that they were in the break room. I> went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I> said that there was no way that they would fit. I> was a weight lifter and had held the exact same> weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way> could I have gone down two sizes in so short a> period of time. I went to the bathroom to try one> on, so that he could send them back right away. Now> only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had> me starting to question things.... I didn't even> notice.> > Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off.> Symptoms like dropping 40 pounds in 30 days was okay> with him, he felt that (as said to me and put on my> chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.> > Ten months later with symptom that had escalated> to the point where it was affecting my job, I was> back at the doc, this time an orthopedist that> diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes...> Thyroid Storm. She had blood drawn to confirm, but> had me at the hospital in a matter of hours. I was> given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.> > Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know> it.... > > It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to> say, changes in our bodies that are so subtle from> day to day that we don't notice...but others do. It> takes someone that cares.> > heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I> was a money courier and part of the reason that I> was hired (besides my ethics - long story there) was> the way that I carried myself and my stature... then> in just a couple of months of starting I start> shrinking!!! hehehehehe> > It's funny... you begin to realize something is> wrong and once it comes to your attention it becomes> so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and you,> well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said> that I was just fine, so I have to be, right?> Well... without getting into the whole long> story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my> symptoms and went back to the doc I have stopped> sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was> eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and> barely maintaining my weight...but nothing was wrong> with me.. the doc said so.....> > What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way.....> if you know it's not right and the doc says it is...> find another doc.....> > Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you> know it's wrong....> > Topper ()> > __________________________________ Yahoo! Mail for Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

As I said to my doc when I first got diagnosed with Hashi's, given 10

years I could change into Wolfman and not notice until my razor blade

bill gets ridiculously high.

................dan

> Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't notice changes in

> myself either, it was my boss that brought it to my attention. I was

> hyper and had been since puberty but no one ever really noticed

anything,

> it's just always how I had been... Not long after starting a new job I

> walked through the office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I

> was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A couple of weeks

later he

> said that he'd ordered me new uniforms and that they were in the break

> room. I went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I said that

> there was no way that they would fit. I was a weight lifter and had held

> the exact same weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way could

> I have gone down two sizes in so short a period of time. I went to the

> bathroom to try one on, so that he could send them back right away. Now

> only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had me starting to

> question things.... I didn't even notice.

>

> Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off. Symptoms like

dropping

> 40 pounds in 30 days was okay with him, he felt that (as said to me and

> put on my chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.

>

> Ten months later with symptom that had escalated to the point where it

> was affecting my job, I was back at the doc, this time an orthopedist

> that diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes... Thyroid Storm.

> She had blood drawn to confirm, but had me at the hospital in a

matter of

> hours. I was given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.

>

> Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know it....

>

> It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to say, changes in our

> bodies that are so subtle from day to day that we don't notice...but

> others do. It takes someone that cares.

>

> heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I was a money courier and

> part of the reason that I was hired (besides my ethics - long story

> there) was the way that I carried myself and my stature... then in

just a

> couple of months of starting I start shrinking!!! hehehehehe

>

> It's funny... you begin to realize something is wrong and once it comes

> to your attention it becomes so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and

> you, well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said that I was just

> fine, so I have to be, right? Well... without getting into the whole

long

> story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my symptoms and went back

> to the doc I have stopped sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was

> eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and barely maintaining my

> weight...but nothing was wrong with me.. the doc said so.....

>

> What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way..... if you know it's not

> right and the doc says it is... find another doc.....

>

> Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you know it's wrong....

>

> Topper ()

>

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:44 +0100 " "

> <christinemhughes@b...> writes:

> You're absolutely right . I can't believe that I was so DENSE

about

> this! Other people were noticing how I was struggling with stairs and

> getting up from a chair etc. and walking slowly with difficulty, and I

> just kept thinking perhaps it was the heart problems (only been

diagnosed

> for about a year) and it was only when someone mentioned on a cat

> breeding group about low thyroid that the penny dropped! I've been

> saying for a while that I'm 55 and feel more like a 95 year old in poor

> health but I never gave it a thought it could be down to thyroid! Oh

> believe me, I'm not going to sit quietly while the doctor tells me that

> it's all fine now (and neither will my husband who will be coming with

> me:-)))) I am SO grateful to this group! Love Chris

................dan

anything,

later he

>

dropping

>

matter of

>

>

>

just a

>

long

>

>

>

> Topper ()

>

about

diagnosed

................dan

anything,

later he

>

dropping

>

matter of

>

>

>

just a

>

long

>

>

>

> Topper ()

>

about

diagnosed

Hi Dan, It makes me realise just how wonderful we are as human beings at adapting to circumstances and what life throws at us LOL! Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that part of all this thyroid stuff - the foggy thinking that comes with it, is probably the reason we don't question what's happening. Love Chris:-)

As I said to my doc when I first got diagnosed with Hashi's, given 10years I could change into Wolfman and not notice until my razor bladebill gets ridiculously high................dan> Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't notice changes in> myself either, it was my boss that brought it to my attention. I was> hyper and had been since puberty but no one ever really noticedanything,> it's just always how I had been... Not long after starting a new job I> walked through the office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I> was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A couple of weekslater he> said that he'd ordered me new uniforms and that they were in the break> room. I went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I said that> there was no way that they would fit. I was a weight lifter and had held> the exact same weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way could> I have gone down two sizes in so short a period of time. I went to the> bathroom to try one on, so that he could send them back right away. Now> only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had me starting to> question things.... I didn't even notice.> > Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off. Symptoms likedropping> 40 pounds in 30 days was okay with him, he felt that (as said to me and> put on my chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.> > Ten months later with symptom that had escalated to the point where it> was affecting my job, I was back at the doc, this time an orthopedist> that diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes... Thyroid Storm.> She had blood drawn to confirm, but had me at the hospital in amatter of> hours. I was given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.> > Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know it.... > > It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to say, changes in our> bodies that are so subtle from day to day that we don't notice...but> others do. It takes someone that cares.> > heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I was a money courier and> part of the reason that I was hired (besides my ethics - long story> there) was the way that I carried myself and my stature... then injust a> couple of months of starting I start shrinking!!! hehehehehe> > It's funny... you begin to realize something is wrong and once it comes> to your attention it becomes so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and> you, well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said that I was just> fine, so I have to be, right? Well... without getting into the wholelong> story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my symptoms and went back> to the doc I have stopped sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was> eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and barely maintaining my> weight...but nothing was wrong with me.. the doc said so.....> > What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way..... if you know it's not> right and the doc says it is... find another doc.....> > Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you know it's wrong....> > Topper ()> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:44 +0100 ""> <christinemhughes@b...> writes:> You're absolutely right . I can't believe that I was so DENSEabout> this! Other people were noticing how I was struggling with stairs and> getting up from a chair etc. and walking slowly with difficulty, and I> just kept thinking perhaps it was the heart problems (only beendiagnosed> for about a year) and it was only when someone mentioned on a cat> breeding group about low thyroid that the penny dropped! I've been> saying for a while that I'm 55 and feel more like a 95 year old in poor> health but I never gave it a thought it could be down to thyroid! Oh> believe me, I'm not going to sit quietly while the doctor tells me that> it's all fine now (and neither will my husband who will be coming with> me:-)))) I am SO grateful to this group! Love Chris

Hi Dan, It makes me realise just how wonderful we are as human beings at adapting to circumstances and what life throws at us LOL! Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that part of all this thyroid stuff - the foggy thinking that comes with it, is probably the reason we don't question what's happening. Love Chris:-)

As I said to my doc when I first got diagnosed with Hashi's, given 10years I could change into Wolfman and not notice until my razor bladebill gets ridiculously high................dan> Don't feel bad for not noticing, Chris.. I didn't notice changes in> myself either, it was my boss that brought it to my attention. I was> hyper and had been since puberty but no one ever really noticedanything,> it's just always how I had been... Not long after starting a new job I> walked through the office area and my boss made a comment, asking if I> was on a diet, my uniforms were hanging on me. A couple of weekslater he> said that he'd ordered me new uniforms and that they were in the break> room. I went to get them and they were two sizes smaller! I said that> there was no way that they would fit. I was a weight lifter and had held> the exact same weight with a 21 % BMI for over three years, no way could> I have gone down two sizes in so short a period of time. I went to the> bathroom to try one on, so that he could send them back right away. Now> only did if fit, it was a bit loose. That's what had me starting to> question things.... I didn't even notice.> > Unfortunately the first doc I went to blew me off. Symptoms likedropping> 40 pounds in 30 days was okay with him, he felt that (as said to me and> put on my chart) I was too fat to be sick... and sent me home.> > Ten months later with symptom that had escalated to the point where it> was affecting my job, I was back at the doc, this time an orthopedist> that diagnosed me on sight, in less than five minutes... Thyroid Storm.> She had blood drawn to confirm, but had me at the hospital in amatter of> hours. I was given RAI to kill my gland... now I'm hypo.> > Nearly died from this, and I didn't even know it.... > > It can sneak up on us, that's what I'm trying to say, changes in our> bodies that are so subtle from day to day that we don't notice...but> others do. It takes someone that cares.> > heheheheh My boss cared in a round about way. I was a money courier and> part of the reason that I was hired (besides my ethics - long story> there) was the way that I carried myself and my stature... then injust a> couple of months of starting I start shrinking!!! hehehehehe> > It's funny... you begin to realize something is wrong and once it comes> to your attention it becomes so obvious.. then the doc blows you off and> you, well, I, started feeling like a fool, the doc said that I was just> fine, so I have to be, right? Well... without getting into the wholelong> story.... by the time I was so weirded out by my symptoms and went back> to the doc I have stopped sleeping so that I could stay up to eat, I was> eating pretty much non stop 24 hours a day and barely maintaining my> weight...but nothing was wrong with me.. the doc said so.....> > What I'm trying to say, in my long winded way..... if you know it's not> right and the doc says it is... find another doc.....> > Bring notes, take notes.... don't accept if you know it's wrong....> > Topper ()> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:59:44 +0100 ""> <christinemhughes@b...> writes:> You're absolutely right . I can't believe that I was so DENSEabout> this! Other people were noticing how I was struggling with stairs and> getting up from a chair etc. and walking slowly with difficulty, and I> just kept thinking perhaps it was the heart problems (only beendiagnosed> for about a year) and it was only when someone mentioned on a cat> breeding group about low thyroid that the penny dropped! I've been> saying for a while that I'm 55 and feel more like a 95 year old in poor> health but I never gave it a thought it could be down to thyroid! Oh> believe me, I'm not going to sit quietly while the doctor tells me that> it's all fine now (and neither will my husband who will be coming with> me:-)))) I am SO grateful to this group! Love Chris

Getting the meds right, the hormone levels where they need to be can make a HUGE difference. Will everything come back? Will it be as though nothing ever happened? That all depends on how hypo you were and for how long...

Our bodies are pretty amazing, they can deal with low level thyroid hormones for a long time, they adjust things and reorganize how things work to stay alive even when things are all messed up... but that can also cause some damage if it goes on for too long. No, I don't say this to scare.... Honest. But I want to make sure that you understand how important it is to jump in and do something. Keep on top of things, learn everything you can and how it all affects your body. It doesn't affect all of us the same way, we're all very individual on how our bodies react. So the more you know about the hormones and the meds and your body the better everything goes.

I base this opinion on what happened to me... over a decade of being underdosed by a string of docs that kept blaming everything on my weight and bad attitude. Well, the weight was a symptom of the hormone imbalance and the attitude had a lot to do with increasing pain levels, decreased abilities to do things, and eventually the loss of my home... I should be happy?

I ended up on crutches while under the care of bad docs. Did they look closer at my hormone levels, nope, blamed it on my weight.... yet when I switched the type of med that I was using... they had my on synthetic and I switched to an over the counter grade of natural, I got off the crutches.... as time passed and my dose increased my chronic pain went away, my sleep improved... well a ton of things improved. Things that I'd been dealing with for years and years cleared up.

My point in bringing that up is that for some it's not just the dosage (how much you are taking) but what kind.

Each of the different brands of synthetic (Synthroid, Levothroid, Levothyroxine, etc) contain slightly different fillers. Same goes for the different brands of naturals (Armour, Time-Caps Labs, Thyroid-S, etc). Some of us react differently to those fillers. And then there are some of us that do better on natural thyroid and others that do better on synthetics. And those on synthetics.... some to great with T4 only meds, some need T3 added.

I know... some of the new folks here are totally lost.... don't worry, you'll learn all the terms and such as you go, just ask questions, be it the first time you ask, or the tenth (hypo brain fog makes it easy to forget things so don't be shy about asking the same question again if you forget or just want to review, we're used to that)

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to find a doc that is open to different thyroid meds, by that I mean both naturals and synthetics so that if you aren't responding to a particular brand or type of med you have the option to try something else until your body is responding.

I could go on and on with this...I'm in a rambly mood today... hehehehe but I have over a hundred emails yet to go through and need to get going...

Ask questions, be open to learn, observe your body's reactions, find a doc that will work WITH you....

Topper ()

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:08:04 +0100 "" writes: