RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Introduction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sandy,My sister is an NLP practitioner. She says it is very important to be clear about our wording when we are making changes. She told me that we talk about "releasing" or "letting go" of weight instead of "losing" weight because we tend to want to find the stuff we've lost.CaroleTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent:

Tue, June 14, 2011 8:27:55 AMSubject: Re: Introduction

I loved the use of your word "release" rather than "lose". It resonates with me as a process of letting go, a gentle letting go. And it seems less like a "diet" word. Sandy

Guest guest

Hi Sandy,My sister is an NLP practitioner. She says it is very important to be clear about our wording when we are making changes. She told me that we talk about "releasing" or "letting go" of weight instead of "losing" weight because we tend to want to find the stuff we've lost.CaroleTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent:

Tue, June 14, 2011 8:27:55 AMSubject: Re: Introduction

I loved the use of your word "release" rather than "lose". It resonates with me as a process of letting go, a gentle letting go. And it seems less like a "diet" word. Sandy

Guest guest

Hi Sunny,

In the beginning I concentrated on loving myself again and learning that I was

worth a better life, I now love myself to bits, I think I am pretty special. I

then worked on using the hunger scale, this has been a great tool that I still

use to this day. Finally I am now working on strengthening my mind through

exercise, exercise has been able to show me just how strong I am and I have been

able to use this strength in all other areas of my life.

Intuitive eating is no quick fix but believe me it is so worth it, I just wish I

had found it earlier. I had been on diets since the age of 13, I am now

teaching my girls about listening to the bodies and I was very excited when my 6

year old asked for both apple and choc cake on the weekend, to me that showed

she now does not see any food as good or bad. I have taught them that there are

foods that give us more energy, but no good or bad foods.

Regards,

Nic

>

>

> Welcome Nic...what would you say you have concentrated on the most to achieve

those kinds of " releases " ? I need to buckle down and follow the program with

much more commitment but for some reason my disordered eating is much harder to

overcome than I thought It would be. I'd love to know the secret to your

success. :)

>

> Sunny

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Introduction

>

>

>

> Hi I would like to introduce myself my name is (Nic for short) I came

across intuitive eating about 3 years ago and have released 30 kilos, I don't

think I am at my natural weight just yet as I continue to release weight each

week.

>

> I look forward to getting to know you all.

>

> Regards,

>

> Nic

>

Guest guest

Thank you for your warm welcome. I am so glad that you are able to find

inspiration from my journey, intuitive eating is a great journey but not a quick

fix. is right, our sub conscious is like our best friend, so if we say

we have lost something it will do its very best to find it for us. So release

is a great word to use for many reasons, as you say letting go.

Regards,

Nic

>

> >

> >

> > Hi I would like to introduce myself my name is (Nic for short) I

> > came across intuitive eating about 3 years ago and have released 30 kilos, I

> > don't think I am at my natural weight just yet as I continue to release

> > weight each week.

> >

> > I look forward to getting to know you all.

> >

> > Regards,

> >

> > Nic

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

Welcome to the group. I wanted to chime in here and say that I believe you can

find peace with food. It may take time to unravel the emotional abuse related to

food from your past, but in time you will find yourself making choices more

naturally and not being as drawn to foods that were once forbidden to you.

Although I haven't had your particular experience, part of my history is that I

turned to food for comfort after an abusive situation in my life at a young age,

and that connection with food as retreat from a painful situation has been a

hard one to break. I am reading Women, Food and God right now, and I highly

recommend it. One of the things WF & G has shown me is that now when I

emotionally eat, it actually has nothing to do with that old wound. The wound

just started the habit, and now it has become my go to coping strategy. Usually

when I emotionally eat now, it has more to do with a smaller daily annoyance or

general fatigue. I am learning that I can honor the role food has played in

coping with my history of abuse and also recognize that it really isn't a very

useful coping mechanism for day to day woes because the effects of overeating

outweigh the benefits of relieving a little tension at the end of a long day. I

guess I am starting to get that I am not as broken or as fragile as I have

always thought, and I won't fall apart without a bi-weekly binge to drown my

sorrows.

I like your realization about what your body really wants in the mornings. When

I started IE, I was shocked to see how much I craved meat. I still regularly eat

a small portion of dinner leftovers for breakfast because it is hearty and

satisfies my body better than a bagel or fruit (which I also sometimes eat for

breakfast!). I think I had cut meat largely out of my diet in my attempt to cut

calories back in my diet days, and I told myself I didn't really miss it. But

man, when I asked my body what it wanted for the first time in 20 years, it said

PROTEIN! (Sorry to any vegetarians who may be totally grossed out by that).

Anyway, I have hypothyroidism, too. My meds work and have given me lots more

energy and my hair, which was falling out in clumps, has started to grow back.

But for me, too, the weight I gained when my thyroid started acting up has not

been cooperative about leaving now that my thyroid is getting some help. Ah

well, at least I feel better now, and that is definitely an improvement from

where I was before the meds.

Hope your knee heals up soon!

-Liz

>

> Thanks for the kind words, Tai, and Abby. It's good to know I'm not

alone.

>

> Abby, thanks for letting me know that there is a light at the end of the

tunnel. I stopped weighing myself, but I gained a pants size while eating what I

wanted. I'm a little bummed about that. Initially I thought I'd go crazy for

sweets, but that craving passed after a couple of days of donuts, ice cream, and

Ghiradelli.

>

> Then I bought a big bag of those frozen fried chicken sandwiches; another

forbidden food. I ate them every morning for breakfast and occasionally for

lunch or dinner. After a couple of days I found I wasn't overeating, I would eat

until I was full then stop. I swung by KFC two days ago for dinner. I realized

that all I wanted was the chicken. Not the bread, the potatoes, or any of the

other stuff. So I ordered two pieces of chicken. Again I was full, but not

stuffed.

>

> As ridiculous as the chicken caper is, my Food Anthropologist figured out a

few things:

>

> 1. I didn't continue to overeat when presented with a forbidden food. I

finally convinced some unconscious part of me that I can have

> it whenever I want. I don't need to eat 5-6 pieces at a time.

>

> 2. I eat a lot of low-nutrient foods because they are paired with the item I'm

craving. Sometimes I eat a whole sandwich when I'm really just craving some

chicken. This leads to overeating side dishes I wasn't interested in to begin

with.

>

> 3. I crave savory, salty protein pretty frequently, especially in the morning.

This is important because it's the opposite of how most American breakfasts

work. I don't want a smoothie or cereal, I want protein to start off my day.

>

> 4. When I include protein in my breakfast I actually make it to lunch without

hitting up the vending machine. This is a Big Deal. It turns out all of those

diet breakfasts like the low-fat yogurt and fruit just weren't giving me what I

needed. Not to say that those are bad breakfasts; they work for plenty of

people. But, I eat less when I eat what I want. That was a big eye opener.

>

> 5. Now that I have this info, I can play around with it. I can tell the Food

Police to go away and eat fish or a handful of nuts for breakfast if I want to.

That's very liberating.

Guest guest

Welcome Bill,I am back too and I wish you the best of luck.VillagerTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 10:40:55 AMSubject: Introduction

Hello,I just joined this group and would like to introduce myself. My name is Bill and I found this group via the Intuitive Eating website. I joined because I have had great success with Intuitive Eating in the past and would like to get back to that way of eating again. I was first introduced to the concept of Intuitive Eating several years ago when I read Eating Awareness Training by Molly Groger. It really worked for me for several years, but I kind of fell off the wagon a couple of years ago, and the extra pounds have been coming back. My hope is that by joining and contributing to this group, I can return to a sensible and sane way of eating.Thanks,Bill

Guest guest

Welcome Bill.  Glad to have you on board. You will get a lot from this group and I am sure we will get a lot from you.  Sandy

Hello,I just joined this group and would like to introduce myself.  My name is Bill and I found this group via the Intuitive Eating website.  I joined because I have had great success with Intuitive Eating in the past and would like to get back to that way of eating again.  I was first introduced to the concept of Intuitive Eating several years ago when I read Eating Awareness Training by Molly Groger.  It really worked for me for several years, but I kind of fell off the wagon a couple of years ago, and the extra pounds have been coming back.  My hope is that by joining and contributing to this group, I can return to a sensible and sane way of eating.

Thanks,Bill

Guest guest

Hi all,

My name is and I just joined the group last week. I've spent the last 20 years of my life dieting and I'm done. About 2 years ago I picked up "Intuitive Eating", read it, thought it was brilliant, but just couldn't let go of the dieting mentality. In the back of my head I kept believing that I'd never be in control of my eating because I couldn't gain control with dieting so how would I ever do it if all food became "legal"??? I'm not sure what happened last week, but I would go to bed after binging all day (while on my beloved lowcarb diet), and I couldn't sleep because I was SO fearful of not being able to get it together enough to stick with a diet and finally lose this weight. In one week I went from lowcarb to Weight Watchers, back to lowcarb and then decided that Weight Watchers really was the best choice for me. Lord have mercy. That was exhausting!!! Today is day 4 of my journey and it's really been eye-opening. The first thing I realized was I had NO clue what true hunger was. How sad is that??? Another major discovery for me was that I don't often get hungry. No wonder I'm fat. I was eating all the time and never truly hungry. Yes, I'm a VERY emotional eater because it's easier to eat than feel! Anyway, the other night I picked up my book again and it just seemed like everything made sense and fear was gone. All my diet books are gone as is my scale. Tomorrow I will grocery shop for the first time in 20 years and buy what I like rather than what the diet of the week dictates. I think my biggest problem is going to be recognizing when I'm satisfied and stopping. Practice makes perfect I suppose :)

Guest guest

Welcome , glad to have you join us here. It (IE) doesn't make sense until

it makes sense - cliche I know, but true too. Re-claiming your ability to sense

hunger and fullness is as good a place to start as any. Hope you keep us posted

on how that goes with you. Successes, stumbling blocks, Oops! and I'll GET it

yet 'reports' benefit us all. Rants and whines allowed too - as long as they are

about IE related of course ;-)

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

>

>

> Hi all,

>

> My name is and I just joined the group last week.  I've spent the last

20 years of my life dieting and I'm done.  About 2 years ago I picked up

" Intuitive Eating " , read it, thought it was brilliant, but just couldn't let go

of the dieting mentality.  In the back of my head I kept believing that I'd

never be in control of my eating because I couldn't gain control with dieting so

how would I ever do it if all food became " legal " ???  I'm not sure what

happened last week, but I would go to bed after binging all day (while on my

beloved lowcarb diet), and I couldn't sleep because I was SO fearful of not

being able to get it together enough to stick with a diet and finally lose this

weight.  In one week I went from lowcarb to Weight Watchers, back to lowcarb

and then decided that Weight Watchers really was the best choice for me.  Lord

have mercy.  That was exhausting!!!  Today is day 4 of my journey and it's

really been eye-opening.  The first thing I realized was I had NO clue what

true hunger was.  How sad is that???  Another major discovery for me was that

I don't often get hungry.  No wonder I'm fat.  I was eating all the time and

never truly hungry.  Yes, I'm a VERY emotional eater because it's easier to eat

than feel!  Anyway, the other night I picked up my book again and it just

seemed like everything made sense and fear was gone.  All my diet books are

gone as is my scale.  Tomorrow I will grocery shop for the first time in 20

years and buy what I like rather than what the diet of the week dictates.  I

think my biggest problem is going to be recognizing when I'm satisfied and

stopping.  Practice makes perfect I suppose :) 

>

>

>

Guest guest

, WOW What a great job you are doing.  First to recognize that diets don't work. And then to understand that you like most of us had no clue about real hunger.  And many of us are emotional eaters.  I am so excited for you that this time when you picked up the book, something clicked, made sense and the fear was gone. Yea! WOW again on getting rid of your scales and diet books.   I'll bet you feel " lighter " already. I can hear the joy and excitement about your grocery shopping trip. I leave plenty of time and don't try to rush through it.  I guess you could say I shop with awareness too, not restriction, not reading all the labels to see how man calories or fat grams, etc. Just with awareness of what I like and even try a new food or two. It is hard to know when you are full and satisfied both but you will learn.  Remember it took a lot of diet mentality to kill your IE spirit. I love the way my 5 year old grandson is so IE.  Eats when he's hungry, stops when he is full.  He'll say to his mother " my tummy isn't hungry anymore " , and when he is hungry he says his tummy is growling.  When he is getting sick or is constipated( which happens a lot with him) it is one of the first signs, he doesn't eat.  We do try yo balance out his eating to get food that will help with his constipation, especially drinking water, or anything.  He is a typical kid and forgets and gets so wrapped up in what he is doing.  I could learn some lessons from him.  When I did get wrapped up in my creative projects, sometimes I would forget about eating until my tummy started growling. I too deal with emotional eating, especially boredom.  We all are on a journey and can help each other by sharing in this group.  Give yourself an A+.   Sandy

Hi all,

My name is and I just joined the group last week.  I've spent the last 20 years of my life dieting and I'm done.  About 2 years ago I picked up " Intuitive Eating " , read it, thought it was brilliant, but just couldn't let go of the dieting mentality.  In the back of my head I kept believing that I'd never be in control of my eating because I couldn't gain control with dieting so how would I ever do it if all food became " legal " ???  I'm not sure what happened last week, but I would go to bed after binging all day (while on my beloved lowcarb diet), and I couldn't sleep because I was SO fearful of not being able to get it together enough to stick with a diet and finally lose this weight.  In one week I went from lowcarb to Weight Watchers, back to lowcarb and then decided that Weight Watchers really was the best choice for me.  Lord have mercy.  That was exhausting!!!  Today is day 4 of my journey and it's really been eye-opening.  The first thing I realized was I had NO clue what true hunger was.  How sad is that???  Another major discovery for me was that I don't often get hungry.  No wonder I'm fat.  I was eating all the time and never truly hungry.  Yes, I'm a VERY emotional eater because it's easier to eat than feel!  Anyway, the other night I picked up my book again and it just seemed like everything made sense and fear was gone.  All my diet books are gone as is my scale.  Tomorrow I will grocery shop for the first time in 20 years and buy what I like rather than what the diet of the week dictates.  I think my biggest problem is going to be recognizing when I'm satisfied and stopping.  Practice makes perfect I suppose :) 

Guest guest

, WOW What a great job you are doing.  First to recognize that diets don't work. And then to understand that you like most of us had no clue about real hunger.  And many of us are emotional eaters.  I am so excited for you that this time when you picked up the book, something clicked, made sense and the fear was gone. Yea! WOW again on getting rid of your scales and diet books.   I'll bet you feel " lighter " already. I can hear the joy and excitement about your grocery shopping trip. I leave plenty of time and don't try to rush through it.  I guess you could say I shop with awareness too, not restriction, not reading all the labels to see how man calories or fat grams, etc. Just with awareness of what I like and even try a new food or two. It is hard to know when you are full and satisfied both but you will learn.  Remember it took a lot of diet mentality to kill your IE spirit. I love the way my 5 year old grandson is so IE.  Eats when he's hungry, stops when he is full.  He'll say to his mother " my tummy isn't hungry anymore " , and when he is hungry he says his tummy is growling.  When he is getting sick or is constipated( which happens a lot with him) it is one of the first signs, he doesn't eat.  We do try yo balance out his eating to get food that will help with his constipation, especially drinking water, or anything.  He is a typical kid and forgets and gets so wrapped up in what he is doing.  I could learn some lessons from him.  When I did get wrapped up in my creative projects, sometimes I would forget about eating until my tummy started growling. I too deal with emotional eating, especially boredom.  We all are on a journey and can help each other by sharing in this group.  Give yourself an A+.   Sandy

Hi all,

My name is and I just joined the group last week.  I've spent the last 20 years of my life dieting and I'm done.  About 2 years ago I picked up " Intuitive Eating " , read it, thought it was brilliant, but just couldn't let go of the dieting mentality.  In the back of my head I kept believing that I'd never be in control of my eating because I couldn't gain control with dieting so how would I ever do it if all food became " legal " ???  I'm not sure what happened last week, but I would go to bed after binging all day (while on my beloved lowcarb diet), and I couldn't sleep because I was SO fearful of not being able to get it together enough to stick with a diet and finally lose this weight.  In one week I went from lowcarb to Weight Watchers, back to lowcarb and then decided that Weight Watchers really was the best choice for me.  Lord have mercy.  That was exhausting!!!  Today is day 4 of my journey and it's really been eye-opening.  The first thing I realized was I had NO clue what true hunger was.  How sad is that???  Another major discovery for me was that I don't often get hungry.  No wonder I'm fat.  I was eating all the time and never truly hungry.  Yes, I'm a VERY emotional eater because it's easier to eat than feel!  Anyway, the other night I picked up my book again and it just seemed like everything made sense and fear was gone.  All my diet books are gone as is my scale.  Tomorrow I will grocery shop for the first time in 20 years and buy what I like rather than what the diet of the week dictates.  I think my biggest problem is going to be recognizing when I'm satisfied and stopping.  Practice makes perfect I suppose :) 

Guest guest

Hi all,