RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well, I only take 1 pill of levoxyl a day. <grin>

Re: Questions>>>>> hi mari,>> if you take anything with your armour, it might not absorb properly. don't> take> your meds with food, or with other medication. take them seperately always> and> with a large glass of water (the more you drink, the faster armour kicks> in).>> i take armour 3x a day and it's hard to balance it but don't eat at least 1> hour> before and after taking it. also any allergens you have can limit> absorption> to.>> good luck,> andrea>>>>> Quoting Mari :>> >> >> >> >> > I am hypothyroid. I have been on synthroid in the past. Last January> >> > I started self medicating,I was on Thyroid - S, but I got it> >> > regulated to 5 tablets a day, 3 in the morning and 2 at bedtime under> >> > my tongue. It seemed to work very well with me. I also take B12,BIO-> >> > DREN FOR ADRENALS 1 TABLET PER DAY.400 MCGS OF SELENIUM. 1 500 mg> >> > tablet of Vitamin C.> >> >> >> > Well I went to a family doctor, and asked for Armour, He gave it to> >> > me. Told me to take one pill a day. Gave me 30 days worth with 1> >> > refill. 60mg tablets.> >> >> >> > I got them on Friday. I have been taking them as directed right now> >> > and not taking any Thyroid - s. But amd taking all the vitamins and> >> > stuff like before. Now I didnt get blood test yet, because my blood> >> > pressure was high 164/104 and he wanted to work on this, I will go> >> > back in 2 weeks for blood test. Is the blood pressure pill going to> >> > mess up the Armour ?? Do I need to take it different times ?? Like I> >> > take my Armour in the morning, vitamin c after lunch, bio-dren b12> >> > selenium after dinner.> >> >> >> > Please advise.> >> >> >> > Mari> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >

Guest guest

Re: Questions>>>>> hi mari,>> if you take anything with your armour, it might not absorb properly. don't> take> your meds with food, or with other medication. take them seperately always> and> with a large glass of water (the more you drink, the faster armour kicks> in).>> i take armour 3x a day and it's hard to balance it but don't eat at least 1> hour> before and after taking it. also any allergens you have can limit> absorption> to.>> good luck,> andrea>>>>> Quoting Mari :>> >> >> >> >> > I am hypothyroid. I have been on synthroid in the past. Last January> >> > I started self medicating,I was on Thyroid - S, but I got it> >> > regulated to 5 tablets a day, 3 in the morning and 2 at bedtime under> >> > my tongue. It seemed to work very well with me. I also take B12,BIO-> >> > DREN FOR ADRENALS 1 TABLET PER DAY.400 MCGS OF SELENIUM. 1 500 mg> >> > tablet of Vitamin C.> >> >> >> > Well I went to a family doctor, and asked for Armour, He gave it to> >> > me. Told me to take one pill a day. Gave me 30 days worth with 1> >> > refill. 60mg tablets.> >> >> >> > I got them on Friday. I have been taking them as directed right now> >> > and not taking any Thyroid - s. But amd taking all the vitamins and> >> > stuff like before. Now I didnt get blood test yet, because my blood> >> > pressure was high 164/104 and he wanted to work on this, I will go> >> > back in 2 weeks for blood test. Is the blood pressure pill going to> >> > mess up the Armour ?? Do I need to take it different times ?? Like I> >> > take my Armour in the morning, vitamin c after lunch, bio-dren b12> >> > selenium after dinner.> >> >> >> > Please advise.> >> >> >> > Mari> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >

Guest guest

Guest guest

I only take one a day. I take my pill fist thing in the morning

before I eat or drink anything. I also don't eat for 30minutes

afterwards. I tried taking my meds at night and I could see a

difference.

>

> I can only speak for myself when I say that I can notice a

difference. Some

> doctors honestly may not know this. Many standard family docs

don't know a lot

> about thyroid hormones, their functions, etc. If you spread your

pills out

> throughout the day you will notice you might have trouble

sleeping, feeling

> jittery, etc. but if you think about it... you use less hormone

asleep than you

> do awake, but you still use it when you are asleep. So in theory

it is possible

> for you to over medicate your body even if the doc says you are

fine. That

> really doesn't have much to do with your situation, I just

happened to think of

> that though.... if you take 2 or 3 pills a day and all while you

are awake, from

> the minute you take that last pill and it wears off, it's until

the next day

> that you take the next pill, you might notice a difference to.

>

> Something to think about. Group, what do you think about that??

>

> andrea

>

Guest guest

difference.

>

difference. Some

don't know a lot

pills out

sleeping, feeling

asleep than you

it is possible

fine. That

happened to think of

are awake, from

the next day

>

>

> andrea

>

Guest guest

difference.

>

difference. Some

don't know a lot

pills out

sleeping, feeling

asleep than you

it is possible

fine. That

happened to think of

are awake, from

the next day

>

>

> andrea

>

Guest guest

Taking them at night, hmm.. now thats a very interesting thought.. I will bring that one up to the endo doctor this week.

Re: Questions

I only take one a day. I take my pill fist thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything. I also don't eat for 30minutes afterwards. I tried taking my meds at night and I could see a difference.>> I can only speak for myself when I say that I can notice a difference. Some> doctors honestly may not know this. Many standard family docs don't know a lot> about thyroid hormones, their functions, etc. If you spread your pills out> throughout the day you will notice you might have trouble sleeping, feeling> jittery, etc. but if you think about it... you use less hormone asleep than you> do awake, but you still use it when you are asleep. So in theory it is possible> for you to over medicate your body even if the doc says you are fine. That> really doesn't have much to do with your situation, I just happened to think of> that though.... if you take 2 or 3 pills a day and all while you are awake, from> the minute you take that last pill and it wears off, it's until the next day> that you take the next pill, you might notice a difference to.> > Something to think about. Group, what do you think about that??> > andrea>

Guest guest

Thanks. Today I goofed then. I've been doing this for about 2 years now.

Today I took my vitamin and other meds, waited from 7 - 11 and took levoxyl but drank a cup of water.

Synthetic T4 (that includes Synthroid, Levothyroxine, Levothroid, Eltroxin, and quite a few more) must be taken on an empty stomach, that's 1 hour before a meal or 4 hours after.. and with only enough water to swallow it....

The manufacturing process used in it's manufacture binds a sodium molecule to the T4 molecule... your body uses stomach acid to remove that sodium molecule to make the T4 available to your body... if your stomach acid is diluted with food contents, like water or food, or is too weak from the use of antacids.. the T4 can't be broken down to it's usable form.

So the reason that you take it on empty stomach is to make the introduction of the daily dose as consistent as possible... The assumption being that an empty stomach as about the same acid content day to day... roughly... if you sometimes have food in there you reduce the efficiency of the process and get less of the hormone available to your body.

It's best to try to take your thyroid separate from pretty much everything else, including vitamins.... the only exception seems to be that taking adrenal support along with the first dose of thyroid right away in the morning seems to be a good combo for those on adrenal support for adrenal fatigue.

Topper ()

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:48:48 -0600 "My Group" writes:

Interesting. My medicine bottle for levoxyl says take 1 hour before, or 1 hour after eating. I don't know that I've noticed a big difference, I normally drink a lot of water, but I *do* take my levoxyl with other medications, e.g. lithium. My doctors never mentioned anything, nor my pharmacy about that.

What do you think about that?

Guest guest

Thanks. Today I goofed then. I've been doing this for about 2 years now.

Today I took my vitamin and other meds, waited from 7 - 11 and took levoxyl but drank a cup of water.

Synthetic T4 (that includes Synthroid, Levothyroxine, Levothroid, Eltroxin, and quite a few more) must be taken on an empty stomach, that's 1 hour before a meal or 4 hours after.. and with only enough water to swallow it....

The manufacturing process used in it's manufacture binds a sodium molecule to the T4 molecule... your body uses stomach acid to remove that sodium molecule to make the T4 available to your body... if your stomach acid is diluted with food contents, like water or food, or is too weak from the use of antacids.. the T4 can't be broken down to it's usable form.

So the reason that you take it on empty stomach is to make the introduction of the daily dose as consistent as possible... The assumption being that an empty stomach as about the same acid content day to day... roughly... if you sometimes have food in there you reduce the efficiency of the process and get less of the hormone available to your body.

It's best to try to take your thyroid separate from pretty much everything else, including vitamins.... the only exception seems to be that taking adrenal support along with the first dose of thyroid right away in the morning seems to be a good combo for those on adrenal support for adrenal fatigue.

Topper ()

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:48:48 -0600 "My Group" writes:

Interesting. My medicine bottle for levoxyl says take 1 hour before, or 1 hour after eating. I don't know that I've noticed a big difference, I normally drink a lot of water, but I *do* take my levoxyl with other medications, e.g. lithium. My doctors never mentioned anything, nor my pharmacy about that.

What do you think about that?

Guest guest

A damaged small instestines is required for a diagnosis of celiac disease. So,

if someone

has an immune response to gluten but no damage to the intestine, they may be

labeled

gluten intolerant.

This immune response may be causing symptoms that are relieved with a

gluten-free diet.

Some people consider this " latent celiac disease " in which the intestines have

not been

damaged YET.

I consider this the case with my teenage daughters and husband. Both my

husband's

sister and I are biopsy-diagnosed celiacs. My husband and daughters had

definite

symptoms, had antibodies, but no intestinal damage. All are improving on a GF

diet.

Hope that helps.

Ellen in land

>

> I have a few questions about the difference between Celiac Disease and

> Gluten Intolerance. Is there a difference and can you out grow an

> intolerance if you do not have Celiac? A lady I know had her little one

> tested for Celiac and it came out she is not positive for Celiac but has a

> gluten intolerance. I have always heard that Celiac is gluten intolerance

> but she says there is more to it.

>

> I am just a little confused right now on the difference. Plus I want to

> know this doctor knows what she is talking about before I made a 3 hour trip

> to see her if we wind up doing any follow up care with our little one.

>

> Thanks,

>

>

> Gluten Free makes me feel good and it taste good too!

>

Guest guest

if someone

labeled

gluten intolerant.

gluten-free diet.

Some people consider this " latent celiac disease " in which the intestines have

not been

damaged YET.

husband's

definite

diet.

Hope that helps.

Ellen in land

>

>

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

Guest guest

if someone

labeled

gluten intolerant.

gluten-free diet.

not been

damaged YET.

husband's

definite

diet.

Hope that helps.

Ellen in land

>

>

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

Guest guest

Subj: Questions

Date:3/28/2006 8:46:46 AM Eastern Standard Time

Sender: breastcancer2

Reply-to: breastcancer2

To: breastcancer2

I really liked the list that was made of things to bring to chemo, but could you tell me a little more about the actual treatment....?

How long does it usually take? The first four chemo treatments I was there about four hours, the last four it was longer. (yours may be different)

Do you feel anything during treatment?I slept through most of it, they gave me benedryl and it made me sleepy.

Should I bring someone with me? For company? Or because I can't drive myself home? Both, the company so you don't feel all alone, and to drive, you could be drowsy.

Are you usually in a room with others getting chemo?Yes

How often do you have to go back for blood tests? Are blood tests done routinely (yes)or when you aren't feeling well?

Any specific things you should watch for at home after treatment that says.... Call your doctor? (Always high fewer, 101 plus.)

I had chemo on Thursdays, that day I would feel a little groggy, then Friday afternoon was when I could feel my kicking my butt, I would start resting and taking it easy. Then Saturday was my day just laying around. I did not have energy to do anything and that carried on into Sunday. Then Sunday afternoon I would start coming back around. Monday mornings were slow moving, but by 10:00 I was ready to kick the worlds butt again.

Ren

I still have not heard from the onc when treatments will start. Had a PET/CT scan yesterday as there was a spot on my liver they wanted to check out. Other tests, I assume, were ok. PET takes 2-3 days for results, so I'm in a holding pattern yet again.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Barb

Guest guest

I really liked the list that was made of things to bring to chemo,

but could you tell me a little more about the actual treatment....?

How long does it usually take?

Do you feel anything during treatment?

Should I bring someone with me? For company? Or because I can't

drive myself home?

Are you usually in a room with others getting chemo?

How often do you have to go back for blood tests? Are blood tests

done routinely or when you aren't feeling well?

Any specific things you should watch for at home after treatment

that says.... Call your doctor?

I still have not heard from the onc when treatments will start. Had

a PET/CT scan yesterday as there was a spot on my liver they wanted

to check out. Other tests, I assume, were ok. PET takes 2-3 days for

results, so I'm in a holding pattern yet again.

Barb

Guest guest

Thanks for all the answers. As Lee Anne said, some of these answers will come from my onc, but I'm just trying to prepare dh & I for might be happening. He gets info from his friends and me from mine.

Why the Benedryl? Is the treatment that bad or just because it is so long? I know someone who said she was surprised the first treatment as everyone was a sleep. Now I know why.

Barb

Subj: Questions Date:3/28/2006 8:46:46 AM Eastern Standard Time From: blroy1@... (Tom & Barb) Sender: breastcancer2 Reply-to: breastcancer2 To: breastcancer2 I really liked the list that was made of things to bring to chemo, but could you tell me a little more about the actual treatment....? How long does it usually take? The first four chemo treatments I was there about four hours, the last four it was longer. (yours may be different) Do you feel anything during treatment?I slept through most of it, they gave me benedryl and it made me sleepy. Should I bring someone with me? For company? Or because I can't drive myself home? Both, the company so you don't feel all alone, and to drive, you could be drowsy. Are you usually in a room with others getting chemo?Yes How often do you have to go back for blood tests? Are blood tests done routinely (yes)or when you aren't feeling well? Any specific things you should watch for at home after treatment that says.... Call your doctor? (Always high fewer, 101 plus.) I had chemo on Thursdays, that day I would feel a little groggy, then Friday afternoon was when I could feel my kicking my butt, I would start resting and taking it easy. Then Saturday was my day just laying around. I did not have energy to do anything and that carried on into Sunday. Then Sunday afternoon I would start coming back around. Monday mornings were slow moving, but by 10:00 I was ready to kick the worlds butt again. Ren

I still have not heard from the onc when treatments will start. Had a PET/CT scan yesterday as there was a spot on my liver they wanted to check out. Other tests, I assume, were ok. PET takes 2-3 days for results, so I'm in a holding pattern yet again. Thank you for your responses in advance. Barb

Guest guest

Hi Barb,

I second what others have said about having someone go with you to

chemo. I think they actually require it for some treatments, like

Taxol. Even if you feel ok, it will be nice to have someone with you to

chat with and get your ice/water/crackers, etc. And you never know how

you'll feel, so you do need someone to drive.

Some hospitals have TV/VCR/DVD players so you can watch a movie, and

you will have plenty of time to do so!

Blood work is done before each treatment to make sure you can have the

treatment. I had mine done the day of treatment (some go in the day

before). While the blood was being tested I got started with fluids and

anti-nausea medicine. I had Adriamycin & Cytoxan and that took

about 2 1/2 hours. The Adriamycin took 20 mins. and the Cytoxan 45

mins., and the saline and other stuff came before and after. I had a

port so there was 5 mins. of saline before and after the treatment.

I never felt anything beyond the initial prick to place the line in the

port. It was a few hours afterwards that the nausea would set in.

Your nurse should give you a checklist of when to call (fever over 101,

rashes)

-

Date: Tue Mar 28 07:44:21 CST 2006

To: breastcancer2

Subject: Questions

I really liked the list that was made of things to bring to chemo,

but could you tell me a little more about the actual treatment....?

How long does it usually take?

Do you feel anything during treatment?

Should I bring someone with me? For company? Or because I can't

drive myself home?

Are you usually in a room with others getting chemo?

How often do you have to go back for blood tests? Are blood tests

done routinely or when you aren't feeling well?

Any specific things you should watch for at home after treatment

that says.... Call your doctor?

I still have not heard from the onc when treatments will start. Had

a PET/CT scan yesterday as there was a spot on my liver they wanted

to check out. Other tests, I assume, were ok. PET takes 2-3 days for

results, so I'm in a holding pattern yet again.

Barb

Guest guest

Barb,

Do you know what chemo drugs you're taking?

That will help us give you info.

The Benedryl is for Taxol, which women can be allergic to.

It's not given with every drug.

-

Guest guest

Thanks, . Seems to be about the same time for most... 2- 2.5 hours. It really helps to get an idea of what is going to happen.

Barb

Questions I really liked the list that was made of things to bring to chemo, but could you tell me a little more about the actual treatment....? How long does it usually take? Do you feel anything during treatment? Should I bring someone with me? For company? Or because I can't drive myself home? Are you usually in a room with others getting chemo? How often do you have to go back for blood tests? Are blood tests done routinely or when you aren't feeling well? Any specific things you should watch for at home after treatment that says.... Call your doctor? I still have not heard from the onc when treatments will start. Had a PET/CT scan yesterday as there was a spot on my liver they wanted to check out. Other tests, I assume, were ok. PET takes 2-3 days for results, so I'm in a holding pattern yet again. Thank you for your responses in advance. Barb

Guest guest

Don't know as yet. They are still waiting for tests. I suspect it will depend on what the tests show. I'm not sure.

Barb

Barb,Do you know what chemo drugs you're taking?That will help us give you info.The Benedryl is for Taxol, which women can be allergic to.It's not given with every drug.-

Guest guest

Questions

Questions, more questions....For those of you that have had a mastectomy and not gone on for reconstruction surgery.... do you use any type of breast form?At what point after surgery did you get one?What did you do in the mean time?What type of form did you get?Anything to stay away from? Anything you'd do differently?At this point, I'm not even thinking reconstruction. Not important to me, right now. But it is obvious if I am going to feel 'confident' in public I need something besides a t-shirt (I am and always will be a child of the 60s.... a t-shirt and pair of jeans is all I need.) I would like nothing better than to not wear a bra but I do need to and then I really look off balance.Only a week after surgery and already stressing out about these ducks (not being in a row).Any help?Barb

Guest guest

Hi Barb,

I had my mastectomy almost 16 yrs ago. In the beginning I used the soft form that the Reach for Recovery lady brought me. Sometimes they give you one in the hospital. However they are not weighted and on me at least, it always rode up and if you looked really close could see the difference. I wore a lot of tops with patterns to camaflouge this. I think it was about a month before I went to be fitted. You want to be healed first.

My first prosthesis I got, I went to be fitted for it so I was able to see what was available and what they recommended. Your oncologist or hospital might have some names.

I wanted the form that you attach right to your skin so I didn't need any special bra. However I am allergic to tapes etc so that one was out. If you sew you can put pockets into your own bras, If not you can buy them but they are very expensive. Soemtimes they have nice ones on eBay. Hope this helps.

Hugs

nne

Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Lifehttp://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html

Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.htmlalso check out my other ornaments and lots of nice gifts at:http://www.cancerclub.com

Questions

Questions, more questions....For those of you that have had a mastectomy and not gone on for reconstruction surgery.... do you use any type of breast form?At what point after surgery did you get one?What did you do in the mean time?What type of form did you get?Anything to stay away from? Anything you'd do differently?At this point, I'm not even thinking reconstruction. Not important to me, right now. But it is obvious if I am going to feel 'confident' in public I need something besides a t-shirt (I am and always will be a child of the 60s.... a t-shirt and pair of jeans is all I need.) I would like nothing better than to not wear a bra but I do need to and then I really look off balance.Only a week after surgery and already stressing out about these ducks (not being in a row).Any help?Barb

Guest guest

Thanks, nne. That does help a lot. I, too, am sensitive to some tape....never knew that until all this surgery. Guess I'll have to see what they have. I was given a brochure for a place before I left the hospital by their Women's Center (great place).

Barb

Questions

Guest guest

The first breast form I got was real heavy and got two bras...to wear...had them from about 2002 to 2005...Last year I got a lighter breast form and wear it every day...I am big breasted on right side... The first thing they gave be from the hospital was a cotton shirt with insert. Betsy(NC) Note: forwarded message attached.

Questions

Guest guest

Hi & Barb,

I'm pretty small on top, so in the winter (after my operation) I wore a

vest over my shirt and went without. I don't think it was noticable. Now

that summer is coming I have to come up with a better form. I have a

lightweight cotton form and a silicone form. The lightweight form rides

up unless I have a bra with underwire or a camisole. The silicone form

sometimes sags. So I either am lopsided up or down ;-)

I have never gotten fitted like nne did, but I think I need to at

some point. I've been using my regular camisoles/bras, but I find with

the silicone form that I get a rash on my chest when I'm sweating. I

guess at some point I have to go through all my bras and figure out

which ones work with a form and which ones I have to get rid of.

-